+ Reply to thread

Thread: In case you don't notice the announcement... Please donate to our Patreon!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Default In case you don't notice the announcement... Please donate to our Patreon!

Here's the link to the announcement, which annoyingly is at the top of the page instead of easily viewed in the thread list. I'm so used to the earlier version of this software!

Anyway I've finally set up a Patreon account for anyone who's kind and generous enough (and has enough $$$) to donate to help support our community with a monthly donation to go for our web hosting fees.

Hope it's okay that I set it up. This current host is a real bitch when it comes to being late (they'll cut us off after two days! ridiculous), so I had to hurry and pay this month's fee ASAP.

Thanks again for your support, even if it's just mental!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Done and done. How did you find Patreon? What do you know about it?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Done and done. How did you find Patreon? What do you know about it?
    Thank you very much, EH!! Very generous.

Oh gosh, Patreon's the go-to system for supporting content creators--blog writers, webcomics, Youtube channels, communities, that sorta thing. I probably first came across it one or two years ago when watching a video by this amazing singer, Chase Hoffelder, who does fun experimental work like change pop songs from major to minor. The one that truly won me over is , which actually gives the song the menacing air that I know Sting intended. (Also doesn't hurt that he's got a great voice.) Creepy as hell. Love it! At the end of his videos he gives a good description of Patreon. Other Patreons I supported are mostly for web serial authors, who put out an installment every week or month or whatever.

The best Patreons have different membership levels that give folks more access to cool add-ons; some indie authors (of text and webcomics), for example, will give higher-level donors early access to content, or even special content for free, like short stories or extra comics. Or they might name a character after you (usually those levels have limited numbers).

Patreon takes a 10% dip of the proceeds, which seems fair enough. I think it might change depending on how much money you're trying to raise? I know they asked me how many members I was anticipating, and the lowest level was 0 - 10,000. LOL.

Thanks again!!

Registered
    Feb 2009

OK, I am in, at the basic level for now, but let me know if you need more.

Thanks for doing this.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Yay, Rube E. Tuesday! Who can hang a name on you? Well I can: Generous!

Seriously, thank you--it's very much appreciated.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Thanks to choie, EH, and ReT — yeah, I didn't see the Patreon link earlier, but now that I know how, I like having an easy way to keep us up and running.

Thanks again, everybody, and I'm sorry if I missed anyone's names.

I kind of like the idea of us being a small, scrappy, pugnacious board where we can keep it going.

Just for fun.

And especially choie — that's a real labor of love. If some of that pumpkin-chocolate brittle I had this morning weren't so...interesting...I'd send you some with a warning stating, "Do Not Eat."

Last edited by Jizzelbin; 13 Nov 2018 at 10:51 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Just seeing this now--thank you, Jizzelbin! Or rather, you're very welcome. Heck: both! I wouldn't want anything to happen to the board and I hope everyone stays around to enjoy the camaraderie. (<--Someday I'll learn how to spell that word correctly on the first try!)

Aside: spotted your sig line. You an opera fan in general, or particularly Rigoletto?

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    I hope everyone stays around to enjoy the camaraderie. (<--Someday I'll learn how to spell that word correctly on the first try!)
    Seconded. I like that people here aren't much for "punishing" people who aren't be spelling right, and stuff.

So, if I were Bill Burroughs, I'd add that to my Thanksgiving Prayer.

The signal is five by five!

And, of course, it's I who thank you.

Aside: spotted your sig line. You an opera fan in general, or particularly Rigoletto?
    Not really. I just like some of the music. And, I added the "la donna è mobile" after being kind of deranged by a woman whom I liked and who I thought (I think "to think" works as a copulative or "linking" verb, so I stand by that use of the nominative case) liked me.

But, yeah.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    You an opera fan in general, or particularly Rigoletto?
    Nope. Just

But you're still the best mod around!

+ Reply to thread