+ Reply to thread

Thread: Asking for vacation time in job interview (don't need answer fast)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

Question Asking for vacation time in job interview (don't need answer fast)

How would you handle this situation:

You're in a white-collar entry level interview, and have a long planned vacation that occurs the week you start (for purposes of this hypothetical a honeymoon). Am I correct that asking for immediate vacation time is bad form? Would it make more sense to delay the interview until you return?

Registered
    Feb 2009

If you have the option of doing that, yeah. I think most places would be understanding about a honeymoon, but it's awkward as all get out, especially for an entry level position.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I wouldn't ask for vacation time, as the interviewer I would find that very odd. However, asking to delay the starting day 1 week for such a reason should be no problem at all. It is fairly common for a variety of reasons and a planned honeymoon would be a no-brainer.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Agreed. Asking to delay your start is the best approach. You certainly don't want to show up on your first day and say, "Oh, by the way, I have to leave on my honeymoon in a couple of days." Full disclosure is the best approach, and an employer who is jerky about that will be jerky about other stuff, too, suggesting that perhaps you won't want to work there.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

Exit and EH, I forgot that delayed start dates are fairly common. And Rube, yeah, TREY awkward.

+ Reply to thread