+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Random Pointless Observations about Things You Did Today Thread

Registered
    Jul 2013

Eh....

I was invited to a drive with my three nephews and their grandparents in a minivan up along the Columbia (River) Gorge to go buy some apples.

I'm not sure what the point was — maybe to relieve my nephews' parents of their children for most of a day.

I brought along my Wittner Mini metronome, which the nephews enjoyed for a minute or two.

And the Alfred's publication of Bach's 2- and 3-part inventions, which they didn't enjoy at all.

But they dug the hell out of using the analog "stopwatch" feature of my watch.

Unfortunately, they didn't really seem to do the slide-rule bezel feature that good.

BUT no one can deny the Columbia River is a good one. It's a shame there's all that crappy highway along it, at least as far as a town called "Hood River."

And no, I didn't just think of the word "clitoris" when I said the name of that town, until just now.

Well, I suppose I'll have to go back there.

OHHH, but not only did I get to sing "Roll On Columbia" in my best John Carradine impersonation (very deep baritone!), but me and the other adults had some fun doing Wm Shatner impressions of such songs and others.

Registered
    Jul 2013

ETTA I will say after I asked to make a quick stop at the grocery near my place, the middle nephew asked as I put the Bach in my paper grocery sack in the car..."What's that book?" Of course I said, "It's music!" And, pretty cute, as I was dropped off back at my place, he gave me a small blank piece of paper. "Do you want me to write on it?" <nods yes> "Should I write something on it now?" <shakes head no> "OK, well, I'm going to keep it and write something for you next time I see you! Thank you!"

I think I'm going to be perverse and write some music on standard staff-lines — maybe I'll do a short (it's like a 2x4 inch piece of paper) thing about his name in music (cf. the "B-A-C-H" theme).

That should slow them down for a while.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, I'll be damned. The Company doesn't have a non-third-party seller of a stand-alone edition of Beethoven's Op. 27 no. 1. I already have break-out editions of Op. 27 no. 2 (which I promise myself I will never play again, but still occasionally read through, especially the last two movements), and Op. 26 (I'm still working on mastering that one — particularly the variations and the Rondo), and the Pathétique (likewise, no interest in playing again) and the Op. 10 no. 3 (nope, not again), so not interested in a "collected sonatas vol. 1."

However, they did have a cheap Henle edition of Debussy "Children's Corner" (no, it's not intended to be played by children — some of it is kind of difficult, actually).

And Henle had a cheap edition of just the first three of Bach's English Suites, which suits my needs (I'm really only playing the A major and the A minor — and the A minor I'm still struggling with, so maybe a good bound edition will make it a little easier to dip into).

Oh, and Henle had a cheap edition of Beethoven's two "easy" piano sonatas, Op. 49. Actually, I've read through them at least once, and while they aren't typically demonic in technique, they're still not exactly plink-a-plink pieces of music, and I think they're worthwhile to use as warmups or to have something nice and musical to have in my "book" that doesn't take too much brain-power.

Plus, if Seannie keep up with music, he can have that and the Bach Invention/Sinfonias, along with other smaller editions suitable for an intermediate player/learner. Lots of others in my little library, but those would be good ones to pass along.

ETAOh, I should have looked up a nice edition of the Diabelli Variations — oh well, that's more for curiosity than anything I hope to play end-to-end.

And, yes, of course Seannie can have the Joplin material and all the related — but I don't think the ragtime spirit has caught up to him yet.

EETA And, no, I don't have a fetish for the Henle editions — it's just that since I was a kid, I always found them easy to read, with lots of space to mark up things with pencil. And, I'll admit, the blue covers are very handsome. The Wiener Urtext is also good, and in some cases easier to read for Bach, but can be cramped for annotating in pencil for Beethoven.

So, I consult them all, but I'm sticking with Henle for music I'm past "studying" and just want to read efficiently. My difficulties with the A-minor English Suite notwithstanding — it's not the notes so much, it's just that there are so many of them, in that particular Suite.

EETA All right, changed my mind. I don't need or want the Beethoven Op. 49. HOWEVER, Henle has the WTC vol. II with fingerings by András Schiff from The Company, and I only have the Peters edition of WTC vol. I (with photocopies of some of WTCII). So, that's a better buy.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 09 Nov 2018 at 10:49 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

YES, I know from watching Schiff's performance of, for example, the Chopin Préludes, that I won't be using his fingering suggestions, and will indeed be supplementing the volume with my own notes, but unlike some people, I happen to think Schiff is the greatest living Bach interpreter today, even better than .... Angela Hewitt. I don't think he had much to do with the editing of the volume in the scholarly sense, but the Henle is bound (ahem) to be readable.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, and my Ørberg annotated edition of Vergil Aeneid bks 1 and 4 (with extracts from the interceding books) is due to arrive soon.

Yeah, I've used Clyde Pharr's student edition, which is very good (except I don't like having to flip back-and-forth between two different languages, which is one reason I'm an awful translator), and while I still have my Oxford Press edition of Vergil, it's challenging. I even have the Cambridge "green and gold" of the Georgics, but those are very difficult without significant cribs to help with the agricultural terms.

I'm tired of writing my own cribs and annotations in pencil on various photocopies pasted into books these days.

So, I guess I'm sticking with the classics in music and literature these days.

Sort of, like, humanizing, or something.

Maybe Shelby, she's right: I'm an old, old man. Yeah, well so what? I can still kick some ass!
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 09 Nov 2018 at 11:41 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Shit, I am fucked.

I just read through a handful of the little 2-part inventions which were new to me at the keyboard — all of the ones I stumbled through while waiting for my chickpeas to heat up are going to take my patented "very, very slow" method of playing through. I couldn't even remember the D minor (IMHO one of the more straightforward ones, and one I often just did for fun), and looking at the music just confused me.

No, I'm not going to treat these as compositional exercises, as they were intended, but just use them as opportunities to fix some technical problems, not to mention that (most of) they/m are good music.

So, more or less, the "easy" two-part inventions (all of them), will be like a little textbook for me to hack my way through. More or less "physical training" on the basics.

Still on board with the 3-part sinfonie, but I'll have to see if the new text printing confuses me. Those are a little closer to me in terms of knowing how they sound and some good ways of playing them. (Even though I still take the D maj and the A maj a little slowly, and don't have the blinding speed I desire for the E maj [which is not probably the way it should be played, but I think it's fun like that]).

And similarly, the three-part inventions will remain part of my regular routine, except now I won't have the excuse that I can't find where this or that errant page went.

ETA Oh, and the reason I likely won't be blindly following Schiff's fingering suggestions (for a different set of Bach pieces) is just that, observing his performances, his fingers are shorter than mine — it doesn't really translate, necessarily. And, I'm not as familiar with WTCII, most of it, as I am familiar with many of the WTCI pieces (mind you, not mastered, just familiar with from reading at the keyboard etc.), so I'll have to figure it out for myself anyway.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 10 Nov 2018 at 02:52 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I have concluded that M______ from The Company might actually be either (i) a lesbian or (ii) not interested in me or (iii) just doesn't want to get involved in the workplace, even though I'm super-chill.

I prefer to think (i), but (ii) is fine also.

It's possible she has something she considers shameful in her private life: a wild, untamed bush, or maybe she's not financially independent, or maybe she's self-conscious about being petite.

Therefore, I conclude she requires some magic dong, preceded by some nice words, and then, some nice more bit of dong.

Oh well, I can't convince them all. But she still is nice and we get along fine when I see her and talk to her.

Still needs more dong. Mine, not hers.

/*BUT I still am interested to look at Schiff's fingering in the Henle WTCII — I find it interesting to examine how others perform more-or-less-complex pieces.*/
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 11 Nov 2018 at 11:36 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

OK, listen up bitches.

The András Schiff-fingered edition of WTC II published by G. Henle (and, no, I don't know why children on piano forums don't seem to understand that "Verlag" is not actually some guy's name — well, back in my day, it was understood that knowing French, German, and English was a prerequisite to studying humanities, like mathematics, music, literature, or the technical specialties of science).

Well, I've only flipped through it, but the fingerings and hand-divisions seem uncontroversial. And, more importantly, it's very legible.

The Peter Verlag (hehe) of WTC I has served me well, but I had to do quite a bit of supplementing with my own notes, and the typesetting is pretty cramped.

This new (to me) edition of WTC II will make things a bit easier.

AND, while flipping through the Henle edition of the Engl Stes 1-3, it occurred to me I already have bootlegged photocopies of the Henle of 1 and 2 (A major and A minor, repectively), I still appreciate having these in bound form.

Primarily because the Preludes to both Engl Stes 1 and 2 are very long — especially the A minor — and it is a pita to deal with photocopies for such a longer piece that is meant to be played in one "breath." (At least if one doesn't intend to commit it to memory, or tape together multiple pages in one Kerouac-length roll).
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 11 Nov 2018 at 09:07 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, and I saw yet another John Goodman/"Walter" double driving into the warehouse today.

There must be something about guys who are ... hefty, and who wear glasses that leads them to the Walter way, including haircut and wardrobe. Whites only — other ethnicities of similar build seem to go different ways.

Very curious, but also, pretty damned funny. In a good way.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I think I'm going to get my tires rotated (Les Schwab! free!), BUT more importantly, I'll swing by a brick-and-mortar music shop and try to just grab one a cheap edition of Beethoven's Op. 27 no. 1 — that's another one that's tiresome to use photocopies, and just easier to have it all in one thin volume. I've mostly got all the movements down, but it's hard to remember without a "crib," or some kind of aide-memory, so something to flip through at the keyboard would be helpful.

IMHO.

ETA Oh, yeah, definitely watch the elderly Emil Gilels on youtube do this sonata. A man and his horn. That's about the way I think it should be done — simple, matter-of-factly.

EETA And, yes, if anyone doubts the power of the V7-->I cadence, well, that's your piece. I haven't bothered to improvise on the 1st or 2nd movements, but it could probably be done just for fun. And, no, the last movement with the overlapping hands isn't all that hard — but it would be a good technique to use for improvising, maybe on a Monk tune.

Well, I'm not there yet, but at least I can still do as Beethoven wrote.

It would be better to abstract the technique away from the tune LvanB wrote, though, and use it for other things. Well, I guess there's a time for everything.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 11 Nov 2018 at 10:56 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, the Debussy (Henle edition) of Children's Corner arrived yesterday — very legible, and indeed, just as I recalled, some of them are kind of a technical workout.

The Ørberg edition of Vergil, Aeneid bks 1 and 4, also arrived. I'm not sure the glosses and marginalia, all in Latin, are all that useful, but it is a slim volume and it is convenient to not have to resort to photocopies of various cribs and pencil markings. The ultimate goal is just to read the Oxford Classic Text edition without needing to look anything up, so I'm happy with this as a goal. The classic Clyde Pharr is great for learning, but like I was saying, it's confusing to me to switch between English and the original text.

Registered
    Jul 2013

All right.

So there must be some kind of gossip train going around — this little friendlet of mine asked me today, "How come you know French?"

She'd have no reason to know I speak even pidgin French, except maybe she overheard me talking with some Africans or muttering under my breath.

Oh well.

She seemed satisfied when I told her that I wear a tweed jacket and smoke a tobacco pipe.

Meh, I don't know. I don't go around speaking French except if I want to mutter something absolutely inappropriate to myself.

"Meh blah blah I had a French boyfriend once!"

Good! Good for you!

Ergh.

Registered
    Jul 2013

And, no.

No, thank you.

Tricks ain't walking no more.

Fool me once, blah blah.

What kind of idiot parks in the back parking lot? So you can spend your ten minute break looking at the whoremongering horde of the warehouse?

Yeah, thank you no much. '

I park in front — I relish breaks so much in order to get away from you, not be reminded of "you."

Fucking idiots.

Oh, well, I guess if everyone did as I did there wouldn't be much difference.

But they don't.

Registered
    Jul 2013

score, dude.

One call to my doctor's office and I can get some REAL sudafed.

You know, the kind that used to be OTC until all the junkies screwed it all up.

Maybe I can get through a day with only soaking one hankie instead of two or more.

Surprisingly easy — I'm sure I'll have to give the pharmacist fingerprints and ID and whatever, but I'm reassured that my doctor doesn't think I'm some kind of meth junkie.

And, no, you can't have any. This is between me and my upper respiratory system alone.

ETA Oh, I did try insufflating pseudoephredine once. Key word is "once," and that was a long time ago, before all the meth people.

I highly do not recommend trying that.

Actually, since I'm moralizing, don't insufflate cocaine either. It's a nice buzz, but turn it down if someone offers you a filthy rolled-up piece of paper money. I mean, good god, use a fucking piece of a bic pen — who do you think you are, Tony Montana?

Disgusting.

So, what have we learned?

Use Sudafed as directed, and don't be a dumbass.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 13 Nov 2018 at 11:24 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh. I bet I know how Shelby knows I speak FR (near-native? I don't know how to classify it, except that the term "fluent" isn't too useful — I've heard plenty of supposedly "fluent" people talk with horrible broken accents and not even know how to chat up a women or just bullshit at some café — yeah, sure, I speak FR but unless I'm writing or speaking to academics, I speak it like the english language, namely, pretty sloppy and just chat informally).

It's my little Somali buddy from the earlier shift: at least he's heard me chatting with a Kenyan in FR, and he knows I'm super into M________ (no, dumbass, that's not "M" as in "Men,"). Probably he started some thing like that.

Well, that's OK.

At least I think that solves that "problem." For all I know, he was trying to help me out with this gal M______, although I'm not sure why that would help. But he's a young kid, and we trade jokes a lot, so I think the "team-work" approach is probably what he's going for. ETA ZOMG HE WANTS TO DOUBLE STUFF M_______ WITH ME! UP WITH WHICH I WILL NOT STAND! No, pretty sure he doesn't see why I find Morgan attractive, although he seemed interested to know how many black girls I was "with." The answer is two, but that's none of your business, so stay out of it.

You know, if he makes me seem "exotic" to this girl, then maybe his own status gets elevated.

But why or how? I don't know. Maybe he's just glad to be in good with a white who isn't a total racist and who tends to be mistaken for "a boss" sometimes.

I will say in defense of The Company — they really do practice what they preach about diversity, at least among ethnic divisions. It reminds me of living in an actual city, this warehouse, where there isn't a concentration of power among sexes or ethnicities. Probably higher up there is, but they do good at the warehouse level.

And there's no particular "clannishness" among the workers — women, men, of whatever skin color or native language just pretty much do their stuff and get along.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 14 Nov 2018 at 02:25 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Hmmmm.

My Zenni Optical glasses arrived today — I wasn't expecting much at all, but the regular glasses seem to be fine. And the sunglasses almost seem a little 1960s European crime movie style.

Most importantly, they fit and I can see out of them.

Not up to doing photographs yet, but sometime soon maybe, just for fun.

Registered
    Jul 2013

(i) I was conversing briefly with a veteran coworker at The Company, mostly just being an ear to listen to, and she actually starting crying a bit. No, I didn't try to slip her the sizzler, but the coherent, legitimate complaints she made to me in private, combined with her generally stoic and stalwart profile, leads me to think Ivan Drago is part of a conspiracy.

(ii) I was looking for an empty "cart" at work with which to transport goods, and after having identified one which suited my needs, said to M_______, "this is about the right size cart for me." Remembering after the fact that she is a little self-conscious about being shorter than 5'5""

(iii) The only thing that makes M_______ smile a bit is when I interject "Sir" as a form of address to her. She prefers that to "ma'am." I don't know why. She thinks it's funny because I teased her a bit about her using a clipboard during part of her training as...I don't know, see (i). Probably also she's convinced I've desexualized her and no longer propositioned her on....ta ta DUH!...a date!

(iv) I managed to make some photos of the online opticals Z____ Optical sent me — actually, they look better in pictures than IRL. But, IME, since they soak you on the tinting for presciption sunglasses, those are better to do in person. Regular glasses? Those are OK. I think they cost like $9.95 (USD) and are just fine, unless you have uneven ear-heights and have the balls to try to bend the "branches" (stems? I don't know what the word is) into a more comfortable shape. Unfortunately, imgbb is being slow, so just use your imagination.

Registered
    Jul 2013

(i) I was conversing briefly with a veteran coworker at The Company, mostly just being an ear to listen to, and she actually starting crying a bit. No, I didn't try to slip her the sizzler, but the coherent, legitimate complaints she made to me in private, combined with her generally stoic and stalwart profile, leads me to think Ivan Drago is part of a conspiracy.

(ii) I was looking for an empty "cart" at work with which to transport goods, and after having identified one which suited my needs, said to M_______, "this is about the right size cart for me." Remembering after the fact that she is a little self-conscious about being shorter than 5'5""

(iii) The only thing that makes M_______ smile a bit is when I interject "Sir" as a form of address to her. She prefers that to "ma'am." I don't know why. She thinks it's funny because I teased her a bit about her using a clipboard during part of her training as...I don't know, see (i). Probably also she's convinced I've desexualized her and no longer propositioned her on....ta ta DUH!...a date!

(iv) I managed to make some photos of the online opticals Z____ Optical sent me — actually, they look better in pictures than IRL. But, IME, since they soak you on the tinting for presciption sunglasses, those are better to do in person. Regular glasses? Those are OK. I think they cost like $9.95 (USD) and are just fine, unless you have uneven ear-heights and have the balls to try to bend the "branches" (stems? I don't know what the word is) into a more comfortable shape. Unfortunately, imgbb is being slow, so just use your imagination.

Registered
    Jul 2013

God damned.

I am a bad man, so I will just say.

That fucking bitch who gave me a haircut ... doesn't anybody know about Martin Sheen in Apocalypse Now?

All right, it was a fine haircut I guess, but I don't want to look like Mitt Romney or somebody!

There's a fine balance between "business in back" and "kick your ass" in the front!

Women.

And, yeah, I tipped her whatever, so stop whining you complaintards.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I'm slightly still peeved at this one little confidante, Sh_____, whom I sometimes see as she's coming off my (past) shift, waiting for a ride, while I'm parking and getting ready for my new shift.

She really gave me some brutal sassing about when I asked her about "Hey, how's M____ doing?"

Yeah, she's pretty...has kind of an upfront sense of humor, I guess....but it wasn't really necessary for her to say "M_____ thinks you're too old and ...."

I can't remember, just juvenile sass — we all know each other, pretty much, but still, she went a little too far.

OTOH, when I was just chatting with a few others, they didn't have much nice to say about Sh______ — I still think it's unfair to her, and maybe fuels some of her apparent vitriol against my (apparently) well-known "like" like of M_____.

I don't have anything to be ashamed of about the latter — I asked her out, and either it didn't take or she has some other things going on, or, like me, she'll take months to make a decision about something. Beyond which, we're still friendly, and not in a creepy way. Just like it should be, IMHO: play your hand and then move on.

It was shocking to me just how much negativity Sh_____ had about the subject — we're not best friends or anything, but I'd never seen her unload such negativity on the basis of one "chit-chat" topic.

Oh well: it was cold outside, as well as busy as hell, I'm sure, for her shift.

///////////

I'm pretty sure the manager for this portion of the week put me outside out front, paired up with a burly ex-Marine ... apparently there was some trouble with one of the private drivers yesterday, something about cops being called and shit.

It's nice to be recognized for my skills at being tall and supposedly able to repel a threat, even though I still think the best move is to de-escalate: The Company isn't worth endangering myself or anyone else for, even though I admit I don't mind a fight or even just some harsh words, said in a calm voice.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, I can't quite figure R__ticia out — I think we might be becoming pretty good work-friends.

In fact, I think most of the core group have warmed up to me after about a month — probably something about them getting used to me getting shit done quickly despite my pores constantly leaking wine, and my greediness when it comes to break-times (no, I don't abuse taking breaks, just I find it very difficult to go more than a few hours happily without taking five to cocoon myself in seclusion).

The guys in the new shift seem to run the gamut from yoga-exercising hipsters to pretty macho guys, and also some neckbeard nerds, but that all seems good relationships at work so far. We get along and communicate and get it done.

Ra____icia seems to have developed some kind of special bond with me, though — kind of funny, but I guess we're just on the same wavelength.

Registered
    Jul 2013

There is a real problem with trying to "date" women in Portland — from what I can see, rents are high, so most people who aren't professionals seem to have roommates.

I don't know how that would work, going to "her place," with a roommate. I'm not interested in meeting her little friends in that situation, and dealing with that whole thing would put me in a bad groove.

My place is fine, but it would probably be unappealing to a non-crack-whore, what with my housekeeping abilities and such. True, no roommate, and the toilet seat is clean enough, I guess.

A non-smoker would not be able to deal, and, in fact, my entire front room is filled with music crap, with barely a spot on the couch to sit down.

Well, that's not going to change anytime soon, but it's a real problem, I tell you.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 05 Dec 2018 at 10:43 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

THIS is a portion of the job assignment roster for today.

Yes, you can imagine that was the source of much amusement.

At first it was funny — I think I started it by laughing out loud.

Unfortunately, I think I have some new nicknames on the job.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, that was a fun few days to see how long that lasted.

Oh well, it's all in good fun. Sort of a little madhouse in there. Well, I'm not the cabin boy anymore, so time to move on.

Interesting exchange, we were changing shifts (temporally, not clothes), but C___ and M______ were walking side-by-side while I was on my way to empty my bladder before the shift change.

Carl's a nice guy — typical to him, he said his usual "Hey, good morning J___! Nice to see you again!"

And the usual reciprocations — eh, he's almost ten years older than me, and also kind of short and pretty fat.

Nice guy, I've chatted with him a bunch, and we're good coworkers.

Of course, en passant, M_____ held her little arm up to give a "high-five," and also gave me a nice smile.

WHY? do people do the "high five," when it's very uncool! It is not the way! We're not playing B-Ball or winning a trophy!

And, no, I'm not jealous of C___: that would surprise me if she went for that, but, whatever, he's a nice guy, so if she feels like throwing that guy some poontang, it's all right with me.

Kind of reminds me of this other fellow, about the same age as C___, about whom I went apeshit when I saw M___ and him giving each other a hug in the parking lot.

Mmmmmm....probably just, I don't know what her deal is, but she might favor male company with unlikely people, for gratification other than sexual. Maybe she's got some kind of friendship-fetish, if that is such a thing.

Couldn't say.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    Mmmmmm....probably just, I don't know what her deal is, but she might favor male company with unlikely people, for gratification other than sexual. Maybe she's got some kind of friendship-fetish, if that is such a thing.
    That was a fucking ridiculous thing to say.

It's clear that she thought enough of me to give a friendly salute, even if it was in the defective form of a high-five and a smile.

I wish she knew that me smoking cigarettes (at the moment) isn't a deal-breaker.

Or at least it shouldn't be: she doesn't know my dislike of them, nor that it's no problem for me to not smoke around her.

Registered
    Jul 2013

And here's something truly pointless you'll really enjoy.

Me sitting waiting for the laundry machine, obsessing thinking about what my girl is thinking:

"Well, gee, I dunno, he is really strong and has big hands, but it seems like he knows some stuff about like stuff, and is interested in what I have to say. He is kind of a pig, and he smokes, but the blacks like him and he's really friendly. My vagina is getting a little moist. Is it worth plugging in the Hitachi? I don't know, oh dear."

Registered
    Jul 2013

I saw a kitty in a tree today!

Apparently my parents' kitty just likes to perch up in their Xmas tree and...I don't know what...just sort of sit there.

It can be fun to drop by on the parents and help oversee the nephews if you have an afternoon off.

ETA I'm very proud of my middle nephew: he hasn't been taught how to read time on an "analog" clock, but, his grandmother told me "they're working on it."

He was able to read the very tiny subdials on my watch when we decided to time how long until his older brother arrived this afternoon.

AND he can play do-re-mi-fa-sol and down again with both hands very good on piano.

I'm very proud.

I can't remember if that's yikhes or nakhes, but that just proves I don't know my Yiddisher Sprache.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 27 Dec 2018 at 10:27 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, USPS surprised me today:

Schaum's Outline of Graph Theory. I've read this before, but I can use the problems sets as kind of fun.

Schaum's Outline of Statistics, 6th ed. Holy shit, this is a thick book for a Schaum's outline, but I can use a print reference book when I need to look something up.

Moszkowski, 15 Virtuosic Études per aspera. Alfred edition. Slim, cheap volume — I'm hoping to clean up my mass of photocopies and stuff and I like these "concert études" better than the Chopin.

AND the surprise was, when I was studying for the CCNA certification, I used online editions of Lammle's Complete Study Guide (for the CCNA Routing/Switching). So, it's for review, but I was shocked how large a book this is in physical form. It's valuable as a reference text, and for light reading. Seriously, the book is about three and a half inches thick — I've read and studied it before, but never in the full paperback format. I'm going to ETA that for those working on the CCNA, Lammle is not the best text, necessarily. The Wendell Odom text is the most complete and the one I spent most time on, but Lammle reads like a novel, and he certainly covers the main points. I don't know if one could really pass the CCNA R/S with Lammle alone, but it's excellent for a refresher or just for lighter reading.

AND yesterday, my Rothco "outdoor vest" arrived. Yeah, I have a long torso, so it only extends just a few inches below my belt line, but I'm looking forward to warmer weather and having an alternative to wearing a sportcoat in the summer, to carry book(s), pipe+tobacco, air horn, collapsible baton, and so forth. Believe it or not, I plan to use most of the pockets, and the back pocket is big enough to carry a sizeable book in. And two front pockets are large enough for smaller-format paperbacks.

Oh, I found out about two very good books, *Python Cookbook* and *Python for Data Analysis* — I'm not very good at Python language, but these two are exactly what I need to just get some stuff done. For anything that needs a GUI or creating plots, I'm just abandoning my rudimentary Java aspirations, and stick with C++ and Python. I don't need to clutter my head with Java/C# when I'm already pretty good at C++ and its libraries, and Python can do the rest of data wrangling and sysadmin stuff.

I am looking forward to checking out *Mastering Python Networking*, however, which claims to be a good guide to using SDN, which, before, I'd just use C and the sockets library for.

And for good sport, I'm still waiting for a delivery of a basic guide for the Security+ cert: I'm not getting that cert, but the more you know, etc. Most of my security stuff is in working with C and ASM, and detecting malware, but a good guide for enterprise-level tools would be good. People aren't disassembling code in the field and looking at the assembly, you know, it's sort of a toolbelt-wearing profession.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 29 Dec 2018 at 10:34 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, I officially didn't look down while taking a piss and the urine splashed off my unbuckled belt, and all down my pants, and probably all over the place in the bathroom (well, it's my own bathroom, so while it looks tidy, trust me, it's seen worse).

This is why young men should enlist in the armed services — pretty sure they teach you to not do stupid stuff like that.

Dammit. I just washed those pants, and furthermore, I just showered.

Dammit.

It is not computer science to avoid pissing on yourself, your clothes, and every exposed surface while in front of a toilet.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. I'm glad I splurged and got the 1971 edition of Schaum's Outline of Advanced Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists.

I think it will be a useful reference, but gawd it looks like something I might have found in Grandpa's basement.

Oh well, it's just for reference. Even though it looks like an old Penthouse magazine I wasn't supposed to have found.

IT will be a random walk to see if the 2TB hard drive will hold up as a backup-to-the-backups. Who knows.

AND it's fucking busy as shit outside. How fucking dare they go to the grocery at the same time as me? Bleeding ponces.

Registered
    Jul 2013

AND what's the first thing I smell on coming back inside after a quick trip to the grocery store?

Goddamned urine, that's what.

It must be Festivus time.

Smells like it.

ETA Actually, the Murray Spiegel Advanced Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists is very nicely presented. The first chapter gives a quick review of basic calc, and then it's off to the races. I don't find it useful to know more about Fourier or Laplace Transforms, but certainly the proofs and solved problems are convenient to have in one place. Jesus fucking christ, though, who would have the balls to sell a paperback printed in 1971 on The Company's site, without a word of warning? I think I've been Spiegeled. But, the material is fine and it was cheap, so, whatever.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 31 Dec 2018 at 09:40 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

And an observation: I think I'm becoming like that guy from that TV show Lost who made up little "clever" names for people. Or, worse, like...I think it was Rob Schneider from SNL,"Making copies, blah blah blah."

Seriously.

Instead of Richard, it becomes, "Hey, Richie Beirach." Or "James of the Jamersons!" Or "Hey, Mr. R [a guy who uses the computer language called R for data and stats]."

There's a line there, and I think I crossed it.

It's OK if it's someone you're friendly with and just say, "Hey youngblood, you keeping them aisles clean?" or whatever, but I should tone that shit down in general.

But I can't resist my new line for this girl, M_____, "Hello, Captain! Captain Morgan, sir!" see, because she's like a lane captain or whatever on that early shift.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yay!

I just now noticed one of my automobile headlights is burned out/faulty.

I suspect it's in part due to my habit of "lights on for safety" no matter what the daylight conditions are.

Fucking PITA. I really do not want to spend upwards of an hour or even two replacing it, setting aside finding a place that can source a compatible headlight for immediate purchase.

OH and joy, somebody apparently saw my smashed in fender and figured "hey, I'll file an insurance claim with this rube's license plate to get my own shit car fixed!" Never mind they claimed the "incident" occurred in Sept. 2018, they have no police report, and, AFAIK, no witnesses. AND, I can prove my own car was damaged well prior to September.

Well, I'm pretty sure whatever shit-knuckle attempting to commit insurance fraud is not going to be happy when they lose. They should go to jail, or go to hell, or at least they should be the ones to pay my no-doubt increased insurance fees.

Fucking assholes.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, on Thursday, some light has shined on this little pest who attempts to intercede in my affairs at work.

A few of us were standing around waiting for some reason, and someone said, "Hey, I think that Sh____ has a crush on you." Someone else pipes up, "Yeah, she's always in the break room talking about you." Me: "I think she's just jealous because I have a crush on this girl from the earlier shift." And blah blah.

OH, I did get to use my "line" on M____: "Morgen M_____!" She thought it was funny. Which it isn't, so that means she likes me.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Hmmm.

It appears that when some cow-town auto parts shop sells you a high-beam replacement when you asked for a headlamp replacement bulb, which does not fit into the correct receptacle, which one finds out after PITA trial and error, they're happy to sell you the right part.

BUT, the cute late-twenties chick behind the counter offers to check out your car in the lot and pop in the new bulb (not difficult when the right part is supplied), the VERY least one can do is give her five bucks cash plus the cost of the bulb.

Wow. One of those redheads who doesn't look all gross and pasty.

Pretty sure she was not insulted.

But I redeemed myself by putting in the new bulb before driving off and testing it.

I was wearing my Walter Sobchek (sp?) vest, so I was pretty studly.

I should have just taken her with me.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, and the Security+ Certification book is ... differently abled.

Just a bunch of trivial vocabulary and concepts, nothing to do about securing wifi, WANs or LANs in the real world.

It's no wonder the CompTIA certs are of no more worth than, say, ace-ing some test at a CC or a HS. Even though the Cisco certs tend to be extremely difficult, not to mention tied to the "Cisco way" (Cisco manufactures a great number of the routers, switches, and wireless access points in use today, even though it's not the only company), their router/switch "operating system" follows a great many *nix invocation conventions.

////////

I still wonder about giving the saleslady a five-spot as a tip. Too much? Too little? Insulting? Well, whatever, she'll get over it when she's glad I didn't crudely proposition her when she was bent under the hood of my car and she's treating herself to a free beer.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh,
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 21 Jan 2019 at 01:42 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I guess this is the right thread for it.

Geez. I didn't even remember the last time I had a hangover.

But, at least I had a shower first thing out of bed and so...well, it's good to get the caked-on layers of antipersperant/deodorant and antifungicides off with some soap, even though it is the weekend (for me)

And you're welcome for that mental image. Forget about it. Trust me: I do.

Made a quick trip up to the grocery store and succumbed to the ultimate impulse buy. Apparently Brach's is making the new brand of the old classic Valentine candies. Meh, $0.33 USD, never know. Might come in handy.

How? I don't really know. Maybe some girl sneezes or coughs, you could have in your pocket a little box of "Be Mine!" or whatever candies. Actually, could do for anybody, but I think it's a good little trick.

Even better if it's that special someone.

God, she really does have a nice smile. That short, dumpy-looking broad with the raven-black hair. Whatever.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I guess this is the right thread for it.

Geez. I didn't even remember the last time I had a hangover.

But, at least I had a shower first thing out of bed and so...well, it's good to get the caked-on layers of antipersperant/deodorant and antifungicides off with some soap, even though it is the weekend (for me)

And you're welcome for that mental image. Forget about it. Trust me: I do.

Made a quick trip up to the grocery store and succumbed to the ultimate impulse buy. Apparently Brach's is making the new brand of the old classic Valentine candies. Meh, $0.33 USD, never know. Might come in handy.

How? I don't really know. Maybe some girl sneezes or coughs, you could have in your pocket a little box of "Be Mine!" or whatever candies. Actually, could do for anybody, but I think it's a good little trick.

Even better if it's that special someone.

God, she really does have a nice smile. That short, dumpy-looking broad with the raven-black hair. Whatever.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, I'll be damned. The ELeaf iJust 2 actually works, with some Crown brand "42" 12 mg nicotine "cool mint" flavor.

Obligatory Caddyshack reference: "it's a little harsh."

But no more of a learning curve than smoking an actual briar tobacco pipe.

And it's easily more fun and cheaper than cigarettes.

I don't see why people are so down on vaping: sure, nobody actually wants to interact with people in the little head shops and stuff, but it seems harmless enough to me. Pedestrian ingredients to make up the liquid.

And only a little bitch would complain about the so-called "odor" that is emitted.

And if one drives an automobile every day, anything related to public or personal safety one has to say should be disregarded. I could skin and gut one feral kitten per day and still be a better person than an automobile user.

Plus, this shit's going to get me more ass than a toilet seat. The bitches love that shit.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I'll be brief since I got .......... semit.......anyway the post I was writing got over-deleted mid-sentence.

(i) While working an aisle with an older divorcée whom I've met outside of work as part of a small hen party. Turns out WareGirl was next aisle over, so I was glad to say to my divorcée friend that I was glad to not be smoking cigarettes. Trust me, I could smell the heat coming off her loins. That's the way to get into that one.

(ii) Used a JiffyLube coupon for oil change. I assume they changed the oil and filter, but man do they give you one fucking hell of a multi-stage upselling thing. "Let's wash the inside of those headlamps!" You fucker, I just changed two of the bulbs. And fucking brake fluid. Bullshit. And it wasn't all that cheap even with 15USD off. And, yeah, right, that air filter, sure. That looked terrible.

(iii) Stopped over since I was out that way by my nephews' grandparents' house. The middle one has a knack for the music! He can identify and copy melodies and intervals.

(iv) on the way home I stopped by this big grocery store out that way to stock up on some supplies. I am not kidding, every single line in front of a cash register was between 100 and 200 meters long. No shit, those are literal distances. I did my best after abandoning my cart to pretend like I was shoplifting, in the hope that I could beat some security guard up in self-defense, but no dice. That was the most insanely crowded grocery store I've ever seen — and I really wanted to buy some stuff there.

(v) last evening some cheap USB-powered, 1/8" stereo jack tiny speakers arrived, they seem to be adequate for a few uses. Along with the Iron Gym total upper body workout bar. Haven't mounted it, yet, but i think I can get my pull-ups and chin-ups going during the next few months. fucking difficult as hell exercises for me, but by the end of Lent, I should be at least at the level of (let's say an average of the several armed services) a recent recruit, including a minimum of a 1.5 mi. run at a brisk pace (yeah, I can run three miles still, but now I'm just going for the standard and add speed). Pushups? I want to say no problem, I love those, but cranking them out in perfect form during a short period of time is another little test.

(vi) at a grocery store close to me, same deal. Except the meat section was almost very literally EMPTY of anything except a few dodgy-looking ribeyes and two or three packs of pre-formed ground beef patties.

People are going fucking nuts, expecting the storm of the motherfucking century.

It's a madhouse! A madhouse I say!

It's not even cold here and we're supposed to get a few inches of snow tonight or tomorrow.

I've never seen anything like it, even in legitimate snow or blizzard conditions. Which this most certainly is not.Even here, a place not known for espe
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 08 Feb 2019 at 09:58 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, there were a few nice moments with WareGirl yesterday.

(i) For some reason I responded to "How are doing, J___?" with "just looking forward to Spring." She remembered from almost a year ago some random comment about crows and jested with me with about, to which I could only say "I don't hate all corvids, just crows!"

I could have gone with a super a capella version of Schubert's song "Eine Krähe" ("eine Krähe wunderliche Tier, blah blah something German." But I don't have the voice for that.

I could have amplified by suggesting it is the Lenten season is important to me, but since I suspect her of being a Jewess, it could have led to a more interesting conversation. However, as I shall say sub (ii), both she and I have a similar tendency to just do the job and only chat in passing.

(ii) She did drop a bag off her cart while in motion, so I was able to smoothly pick it up with one hand (it wasn't that heavy) and hand it off to her twenty meters later.

(iii) AND, lest she thinks I'm some "milady, I shall assist you" idiot, she did see me crudely (but wisely and with firm resolve) tuck in a driver's side-view mirror as I was walking past.

So, IOW, that's a recipe for not getting a woman to hate you.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Except if she would have just given me her phone number I could have said why Schubert's Winterreise and the song "Die Krähe" is a significant part of German-language poetry and music.

But she didn't know then that I despise cigarettes, which she does now, through some calculated "overhearings" on her part and thanks to my carpe whatever. And FWIW, my conversation with the divorcée also revealed or reinforced that I care enough to reconnect via chit-chat with another person speaking about another person, named Ging__.

Either I can't lose for winning, or I can't win for losing, but I prefer to call it a productive series of interactions.

One does not, after all, build one's house on one girl alone.

Potential problem, the divorcée seems slightly jealous of the younger one. From a long time ago, "Yeah, she's cute, I remember in high school all the boys liked the shorter cute girls...."

So, it's perhaps likely that WareGirl will not be hearing the good news from her. However, I am careful to only expose what I wish at the correct times.

I don't think that's "manipulative" — just not being too stupid and having a good sense of timing

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, I think it's fine. I'm liking that WareGirl seems to have warmed up to me.

I made a mistake by not starting some conversation about her apparent love of North American Crows, but I've waited this long and it's not a big deal.

I still don't understand why this particular woman doesn't reciprocate for getting to know each other, and yet every time I see her she remembers in detail my preference of bird species.

Maybe she's slower than me. I wouldn't think that's possible, but then again I'm the guy who waited two months after she said to my prompt, "Eh, I'm just talking nonsense,": "I don't mind listening to you."

And "Ginger and Sara and I sometimes meet after work for breakfast (long time ago): I like to play pool and maybe have a beer." M____: "Maybe I could like to learn how to play pool!"

Yes, so I invite her out. I didn't miss my chance.

Like I say, she might be slower than me. Not in the cognitive sense: she seems to have an excellent memory and is....prettty.....preccious......uh, anyway, she has similar interests to me.

Registered
    Jul 2013

And in case anyone is wondering, I think she is pretty.

I'm going to forward to our meeting up and she wearing a nice flowing skirt and her accepting that I kiss her on both cheeks and tell her nicely, "You look very pretty today."

It may never happen, but that's just how it's going to roll.

And it is true, I think she is pretty. Not "cute" or "darling" or whatever. And I shall have no shame in saying, "You could even be beautiful, but I'd have to see more to be sure."

Registered
    Jul 2013

And, if she wants to come hear me play some Schubert or whatever, I can legitimately warn her that the cigarette smell is probably not disappeared.

BUT, I find that lying under the covers of my bed keeps the particulates out, and is a very good way to keep warm.

It's all true.

Registered
    Jul 2013

What do I know about this Waregirl?

(i) She remembers a random comment I made almost a year ago about my opinion of the North American Crow. I presume she also remembers my affection for the recurring flock of Steller's Jays near my home office window.

(ii) She knows I quit smoking cigarettes, and that I only smoked them since beginning this pedestrian job about a year ago.

(iii) She knows I am able to make easy small-talk with work-friends, and recall mutual acquaintances and am able to express appropriately concern for her, in this case.

(iv) She observes that I perform helpful tasks when needed for all coworkers, and doesn't exclude her from my largesse.

(v) She observes that I am a bit shy when speaking to her, but still am adept at socialization, including when speaking with her.

(vi) She has probably heard me from second-hand sources me speaking French, German, Yiddish, and Italian to various people, so she has no reason to disbelieve that I have a rudimentary education.

(vii) She has observed that I have an interest in her field of interest, because I said so, and is, I believe, somewhat interested in what I could say about formal ontology and biomedical databases.

(viii) Probably through gossip or intuition, she thinks both that I think she is pretty, and yet that I don't be offended if she doesn't feel the same way about me.

(ix) She might think she's too short for me, but she probably doesn't know that I know for a fact that it's not a problem at all.

Registered
    Jul 2013

What do I hope she knows?

(i) That for me it is nothing to accommodate her crippling asthma in order that she does not suffer in my presence.

(ii) That her thoughts and opinions are more important to me than that she is, to me, an attractive woman.

(iii) That her choices of past mates will be considered in a negative fashion by me, but is not a deal-breaker.

(iv) That while I try to take advantage of every situation, I've never lied to even the most casual acquaintance, and wouldn't therefore do so to her.

Registered
    Jul 2013

And, no, I'm not obsessed with WareGirl.

She's like Bach's two-part invention in C major.

I just like her, that's all. Just about my size and I think I can play her.

Like a fish?

Maybe.

I really don't have a problem with womanizing, but it's just some of them are so damned good you can spend your whole life trying them out and finding some good ones.

Yeah, so I'm a bastard, but nobody ever asked for me a refund.

Registered
    Jul 2013

And in my defense, she and I share an interest in outdoors, and divergent interests in ornithology (both, hers more) and botany (mine, more) and consonant interests and behaviors.

And, we probably could both use a shower before intimate contact.

And, she's just my size — a foot less in height is about perfect.

And she has a wonderfully expressive smile, as do I.

I command her to submit to my will!

No, that's wrong, but she can be on top, in fact, I want her to.

It's a wonder to me how I manage to dress myself each morning.

She will be mine, or at least she will become a good friend. I don't care about the sex — if she's not into my rockin' pudgy bod, so be it. But I still like her and think she could be a good friend.

+ Reply to thread