+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Random Pointless Observations about Things You Did Today Thread

Registered
    Jul 2013

Default The Random Pointless Observations about Things You Did Today Thread

Meh.

Went all the way out to a Walmart at just-before-midday in an exurb/suburb.

Freeway driving all the way. Which I hate. But, I haven't forgotten how.

I suppose it wasn't fruitless -- I desired a second mattress/boxspring cover to complete phase one of my bedbug-mitigation technique.

Just some cheap vinyl thing — probably have to cover it with lots of duck tape, for the box "spring" part of the bed.

EXCITING news, they had a four-pack of black T-shirts, with pockets, and in size L, they fit great and I can show off my pasty-white biceps without seeming too tacky on the job.

Also some socks — while I was just looking for nylon liner socks, these look thin enough. I didn't pick this up from Ray Jardine, but he and I seem to agree that the best sock+footwear combination is the lightest and thinnest possible. ETA The idea is for doing a lot of work or distance with the feet — I love the thicker socks for around home, but I agree with Jardine that if you're going to be walking twenty or more miles, the thinner socks are more effective.

ALSO it is a goddamned zoo out there. Never get off the boat. Fucking crazy people driving like maniacs, dumbass morons with probably six kids in the car.

AND I think I have three and a half Steel Reserve 211 24-oz cans of beer at home, plus two Totino's "party" pizze, so I can fuck around with my diatomaceous earth and bedspring cover (the shitty vinyl one) and mattress cover (the supposedly good one with the like zillion zipper locks and whatever).

AND whatserface, WareGirl was, as usual, nice to me at work. Not like a Mae West kind of nice, but I think she's coming back to getting warmed up.

Must be the good time of the month, or something.

Good reminder to self! During weekend, get a haircut, and, like, extract some pheromones from various insects and rub them into my scalp.

That's the kind of sugar papa likes.

I'm not giving up on her: she'll take it and she'll like it, just like a stuffed bird.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 08 Sep 2018 at 04:58 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Russell. Performance. "Fresh Force." Socks. They're cops.

No, not too bad. Not the gossamer nylon liner socks I wanted, but even though they're only rated up to a mere size 12 men's shoe size, they are acceptable. We'll see.

Hanes "Comfort Soft" tagless T-s, with pocket. Extremely light-weight undershirts, shows off my Shatner tribute physique (plus massive biceps) and comes in a pack of four, all in black. They don't have a "loose fit," for these are undershirts, and while presentable in public, they aren't the usual baggy athletic Rocky-style gear.

Yeah, not crazy about the socks — but you can't ever tell with socks. EETA No, fuck the socks. They're much lighter-weight than regular sport-socks, but I return them and get more Shatner T-shirts. I swear to effing god, if they made these in that horrible orange color, they could be a uniform on TOS. I love it!

The women are going to be leaking about my Shatner T-shirt look, though. Hey. Four days a week, then I can launder and repeat.

Lucky dames.

I'm going to be getting so much tail.

ETA Just a job. Five days a week. Rocket man. OK, that was gratuitous.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 08 Sep 2018 at 06:44 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Ah, but that was kind of a nice ending to the shift today, just me and this new girl, kind of pretty (well, she seemed fertile and was pretty and not fat — she was pretty ethnic, but the good kind, and a native speaker of English), just grabbing a drink of water while waiting for the time-clock.

I think I might be a terrible person, but I really hope whatserface WareGirl noticed me and this broad (no, I don't remember her name) sharing pleasantries in a relaxed fashion

IN BROAD FLORESCENT LIGHT!

Maybe WareGirl can pick up some ideas that, even if you may be a severe introvert like me, you can still learn to jump on my rod, or at least let me dive into your muff.

Kids these days.

Registered
    Jul 2013

That whole last post was wrong.

In a few ways.

The facts were correct, but for one: I didn't actually ask what her name was. We were just talking.

Literally around the water cooler.

And "ethnic" is not a really good way to de....no....I'll stand by that.

But I was right in that I'm probably a terrible person. Half of my mind thinking, "What a good chance to welcome a new person to the warehouse and show her that it's not that bad." I like that this woman is friendly and appealing, and I shall say a friendly hello if I see her again. Other half thinking, "Tchey, suck on that WareGirl, I can roll any chick in the house."

Not that good.

WOMEN are far too trusting, as a sex of younger age. Geez. Most men, one hopes, become socialized and not smarmy bastards, but it's like that thing from Conrad that Bob Dylan stole: "Men who live outside the law have to eliminate dishonesty" or whatever.

I have very few things going for me, but being honest is the last thing that's going to go before my brain rots from dementia or whatever.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I just heard a pet dog squeal, from the rental complex next door.

And, I really do hope a coyote ate it.

And, no, I'm not sorry to say, I'm on the coyotes' side. I see between some and twenty each week, and I think they're magnificent animals.

Well, the hungry ones straggling along in packs aren't exactly "pretty" beasts, but I admire their sand, and it makes me happy when I see them in my semi-suburban "community."

Yes, I see maybe 0.5 per day (arithmetic mean, not one-half a coyote) going into to town, and those tend to be more sturdy, handsome creatures. I don't know what they eat, and I don't care.

They're a magnificent animal, and anybody who disagrees can ess my dee.

They don't cause crack-ups, like deer. They're just fine.

Registered
    Jul 2013

And the very last things I do before going to bed:

(i)Put some toothpaste on my mechanical device, and try to remember to floss and brush.

(ii)Try to decide which is a good Jesse Ventura line to say in unknown circumstances
    (a) "Take a good long look at these pythons"
    (b) unintelligible
    (c) "I ain't got time to bleed"'

(iii) Still deciding if I should floss and brush before submitting this post.

ETA None of the above. Eh, since I got the toothbrush out, I should use it (on my teeth, shithead). But the Ventura question is not going to be answered.

EETA Yeah, brush thoroughly but not floss. My secret shame. Also, not sure if Jesse Ventura ever said (ii.a) but it is the best line for all circumstance.

Especially against pantywaists at the warehouse.

EEETA Not people who actually wear panties. Most of those can stay. More like, theologians and shit. That kind. The fancylads. Take a good long look at these pythons, boy. And then get that rump into the barrel which has no name. Yeah.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 09 Sep 2018 at 12:54 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Ah, finally, the magical shrunken stomach of the Jizz returns in force.

One pound of fatty ground beef (I don't know the weight of the fat that was released into the pan and the air), about a pound of skirt steak, and 3/4 of a "fifth" of whiskey plus 1.5 of those little bottled coffee+sugar+milk drinks.

Natch, I was dehydrated this morning, so drank a bunch of water.

Ah, familiar vomiting mostly liquid into the toilet in the morning. With some errant chunks of meat.

Don't know what it smelled like, but probably the opposite of victory.

And yet "I eat it because it is bitter, and because it is my heart," I think is the line from that Crane short poem.

//////////////////////////////////

Also, yesterday at work I got stuck unloading boxes off pallets onto a conveyer belt. On direction to speed up or slow down pace, I adjusted the spacing of my boxes from between five and eight feet.

But, no, this simpleton Isaiah working the other side of the belt just keeps throwing shit willy-nilly.

If he had any personality greater than a wet dishrag, that could be tolerable, or at least understandable. I think he is a limp-dick mama's boy.

Dumbass kids screwing with my method.

BUT Morgan was about twenty feet down the line scanning the boxes and marking them for sorting (or if you think this is a word, "sortation") — ah. She understood my method, and my consistency.

I'm going to go ahead and assume she infers I apply firm, deliberate pressure to all tasks where such attributes are required.

Yeah, that's a ticket to Finger Man, admission two.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 15 Sep 2018 at 05:42 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Huh. Apparently XOR can be applied to create a nice, compact, doubly linked-list.

I suspect the authors of the C++ "standard library" have exploited this fact for their own code.

One never knows exactly what's in the C++ standard library code, and I don't have the energy to try to reverse-engineer (i.e., look at the many thousands of lines of code, in assembly) this, but I get a Peter Falk kind of hunch that may be what the idea is.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Hmmm.

Well, that's a kind of brainless activity I can explore, looking at dis-assembling the STL for the doubly-linked list. ETA Oh, god, I forgot what a PITA it is to try different tools to "uncompile" code. First you get the hex, then you rely on some tools to partially "re-assemble" into some kind of assembly language. Jeez. There's probably reason one I decided to become a professor of comp lit. And also the desire for accuracy is the reason why I didn't finish my dissertation.

Sort of like watching TV, I guess.

To me it's kind of amusing. I won't win any prizes, but it's not without uses.

Not a Russian hacker.

NB: the late jazz pianist Frank Hewitt used to favor wearing a white ballcap.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 15 Sep 2018 at 06:56 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I should amplify a bit about the above: it's that the "standard library" for C++, which contains many very useful pre-built functions or classes so that one doesn't have to re-invent the wheel or write a linked-list or a string class from scratch (both common exercises CS students are expected to be able to do in any programming language).

Well, the source code for these "bits" are compiled to binary machine code, so you can't actually see how any given class is implemented (I suspect many of them are written directly in C, not C++, and the various platform-specific compilers are designed to optimize, or not, any such loop and so forth).

So, since you don't have the source code, but you do have the API in the form of what arguments each function or class can take and return. That's where the "standard" part of the library comes in handy — they follow a general template, if you will.

But, if you want to know exactly what methods are being used by the libraries, it's a black box, so you're stuck reverse-engineering or "disassembling" the various bits.

And, when you do that, you typically lose any helpful mnemonics like "Red-Black Tree Rotate" or "Traverse backwards."

So, it's about as much fun as watching Wapner on the toob. If Wapner consisted of a vast amount of code that can only be understood by following carefully line by line.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, but the real RL.

Ever since Thursday when I directly gave a time and place (albeit on short notice) to my WareGirl and asked for her phone number — which wasn't so bad, she said she still had my number and she can text me with hers.

Hmmm..

Maybe she thinks I'm going to cut off my ear and send it to her in a box.

Well, I think a good job of defrosting some of the ice today casually, but what I would have liked to have said (not a good opportunity) was, "look, don't worry about it, we're both adults."

/////////

In happier news, this Nigerian immigrant and I had a few laughs while towards the end of the shift — I think he's about my age.

And while we were chatting and stuff, this newer girl, a hispanic American who is pretty fun (but also very good at her job, which is same as mine), joined in the fun.

I wouldn't mind a little of her, even though she's old, like my age or, in girl-years, probably five years younger.

//////

And, of course, me and James decided to do a *Cool Hand Luke* style "fill up these rows with bags as quick as possible." Under five minutes we did. I think he might actually think we'll get an award or something, but it does make the job go faster to make a game of it and just shovel asphalt as quick as possible.

//////

Ehh. People are pretty funny.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Apparently two packets of ramen noodles, quite a bit of macaroni, powdered cheese, olive oil, and about five croissants is enough to make me hurl chunks in the morning after drinking about a liter of water.

Now you see why Paul counseled Timothy to drink a bit of wine, for his stomach.

A liter of wine, an empty stomach, and I think the raging storms within are quieting down. Too much food can indeed, as the commercials say on TV, be like a storm raging inside you.

+ Reply to thread