+ Reply to thread

Thread: Collections

Registered
    Mar 2018

Default Collections

Hey people! Does anyone here have any collections of any sort? Any impressive collections of things. I collect figurines and plushies from movies and shows I love, mainly Steven Universe, Star Trek, and a lot of Disney, mainly the villains. My stuff is orderly chaos but I do kind of keep it in order, even if it is chaos. I do have a crud load of colored pencils so I guess that could be a collection. Kind of. I have trouble letting things go and am a packrat. I know. I have a problem.

How about you?

What kinds of things do you collect? When did it start? Discuss, share, feel free, or not! Feel free to post picks too.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I don't think so.

I certainly made brave (and costly) efforts to accumulate a lot of books and musical recordings when I was younger, I don't feel that way anymore.

More like acquire one good example of something, so I don't have to worry about it.

But, yes, I enjoy having a modest private library at home — it's very convenient to me, and, frankly, I only trust myself to be able to have the materials I require.

Same with musical instruments: I don't collect them the way some people do. I just prefer to have an example of whatever instrument, and even if it's not in top shape, or the most current, I'm happy enough.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I suppose "collections" for me are pretty much purely functional: while I'm not a professional writer, nor do I play all that much music these days, I think of the things I've accumulated as "tools of a trade."

Yes, you can certainly rent musical gear, but for practice I accept very few substitutes.

Likewise, with YouTube and libraries and stuff, I suppose one could acquire (in a defective way) the materials one wants, but I just don't trust that YouTube is going to have what I want to hear, especially as programmed in the original format.

And libraries for print material are a joke, except at a very few public institutions, including well-stocked research libraries at a large university.

However, IMSLP for music scores is very good, provided you seek non-copyrighted material. Which is good for me, since IMHO most of the jazz or blues books of transcriptions are, while sometimes very good, is nothing that can't be figured out by ear and written by hand at home.

+ Reply to thread