+ Reply to thread

Thread: strange question of brain and imaginary beings?

Registered
    Aug 2017

Default strange question of brain and imaginary beings?

suppose you had a mental health problem that made you delusional to a degree. anyway you create an imaginary being in your head. this being has real emotions, thoughts and intelligence. however your physical brain is mostly normal. one day you decide to commit horrific acts upon the being and make it suffer greatly. this being is still actually your brain its not physically a broken brain in many pieces or a conjoined twins its just a brain.

anyway you torture your imaginary "friend" for your pleasure. now i ask: does this imaginary friend actually have it's own consciousness, i stress it's not a really weird case of conjoined twins or anything, it's a normal brain. it's just your brain, yet it has an entirely different personality, intelligence, and "being" than your own one that acts out in the world. would torturing it count as real torture in a perfect world?

another idea: what if a strange tumor or second brain was in your head but no one noticed? a completely separate brain in your head which is a real separate live human being, yet it has no control over the bodily functions and has real emotions and thoughts and consciousness....yet this is very weird because it has no access to the eyes, ears, limbs, pain nerves, anything at all. can you really have a consciousness if all your feeling nerves, sight, hearing, pains, EVERYTHING was removed and you're just a strange brain in a stressed vascular system.

since you have no experience of the world, what sort of thoughts would this mind think? would it know it exists? maybe a better example would be a scifi film where a brain is in a box before it gets put into frozen storage or a mech. but everyone dies and the brain is left in the solar powered box for ever and ever. it is conscious and well maintained by sci fi tech. it will last for ever and ever...what sort of consciousness would it experience?

the end, very curious

Registered
    Mar 2018

I wouldn't think this friend has consciousness, it is an extension of your own. It may be a hidden aspect of your personality or just the idealized friend, created in someone's head. It is still an extension of yourself, kind of like dream characters. They feel like other entities and yet, they are not you. On some TV shows and movies, I do believe there are imaginary characters who are alive but that is a fictional scenario. Tormenting an imaganary friend wouldn't be torturing an acutal being but maybe it's damaging to your own psyche. Even if it is not, it may be saying something about a person't subconscious mind. If it did somehow form it's own consciousness, then it would be it's own being.

I would freak out if a second brain formed within me. I would wonder how that even happened and wonder who or what was messing with the natural system of my body. When I was little, I used to freak out about imagined scenarios like that and be kept up at night. I think if it were, say a demonic being or a ghost, it would be it's own being that is clearly not the given scenario here.

+ Reply to thread