+ Reply to thread
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 34 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,200 of 2466

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #6: "Marala"

Registered
    Apr 2015

Rangin's rapid--and gratifying--response to Garcia cuts off Nia's own. Then she remembers that he was involved in that mission at that Sakathian research station awhile ago. Things definitely went pear-shaped there when they were forced to evac. Although in a bit of a twist, if Nia's memory's correct, the team had been forced to transport to a shuttle, rather than using the shuttle to escape.

The young xenobiologist has just made a couple of points she was about to deliver herself. Since Garcia is a superior officer to Rangin... well, rankwise... Nia's not sure how well he'll react to such back-talk. Then again, he had no problem trying to school Nia in how to deal with a situation like this. Why do we have so many Comms Officers who don't know how to communicate?

She nods thankfully at Rangin and quickly tries to deflect any return fire. "Correct on several fronts," she says sharply, though that acerbity is not aimed at Rangin. "This is Lt. Graham's decision. And yes, let's remember that Chief Nguyen and the rest are beaming up 1,200-plus refugees to our ship and the Sarafina, all with less than ninety minutes to go.

"That is the absolute highest-priority objective of this entire mission. Adding more pressure on the transporter rooms at such a time when the Kaku is sitting right here would be a dreadful misuse of resources. I'm sure we can all see that," she says, throwing the back-seat nitpickers a bone.

She shrugs an irritated shoulder toward the precious cargo this team has been sent down to rescue. "Besides. Since we are bringing up Captain Singh: I flatter myself that I know her and her ultimate priorities pretty well. They stand with the living, not inanimate objects." Nia's mouth twists sideways. "I like a pretty picture same as anyone else, but while these museum people may be hyper-protective of this--this oversized postcard--I highly doubt some old piece of canvas covered in blobs of paint is so dainty it can't stand a few extra people breathing on its protective box"

Before turning back to face the hatch, Nia casts a last eye at the crew, particularly those at the rear of the shuttle. "Finally, gentlemen. If anyone's worried about getting dressed down for disobeying orders due to changing conditions in the field, lemme set your minds at ease. Lt. Graham will probably want to direct all negative repercussions toward himself, because as Ens. Rangin here pointed out, he's our C.O." And that's just the sorta thing he does, Nia thinks with a minute pursing of her lips.

"Regardless, I assure you that as ranking officer and the pilot of this vessel, I will take responsibility and any disapprobation from Captain Singh or Cmdr. Vargas." An eyebrow raises with more of her usual light tone. "Or Starfleet's Vice Admiral in charge of Ancient Art, if it comes to that."

Nia takes the time to grin sheepishly at Nikolai, ending with a wink, before taking another expectant look out of the hatch. Seriously, could Garcia choose a worse time to play Starfleet Inspector General? Probably why he's still just a junior grade despite being Mr. Genius Cryptographer. You're a Communications Officer, buddy: read the room!
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 07 Jun 2020 at 10:38 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Bennett notices Rangin lift his tricorder and look towards the shuttlecraft door for a scan. He frowns and asks, "Are you checking those readings on Hutchinson I just sent you, Ensign?"

"Duly noted, ma'am," says Garcia, not happily, and clams up.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

"We're settled then," Graham says, nodding. "Ensuring your safety pleases me a lot more than transporting someone who's either a liar or a murderer off this rock right now. Get onboard."

Graham makes sure he's behind them, between them and any advancing crowd. "This location is not safe, and we are leaving," Graham says with conviction.

He turns to the Dr. Bennett. "I'm not sure I'm going to like anything that you're going to say to me right now--and that's not your fault," he adds, trying to put himself in the doctor's shoes given the shitty circumstances. "I have to ask for your best judgment at the moment: who are we dealing with here?"

Graham realizes he's boxed himself in: if the situation isn't safe, much as he'd regret but not loose sleep over losing a lying opportunist or a murderer behind, in the latter case he's under orders, and in the former he can't very well come across as leaving her to the wolves...

Kobayashi goddamned Maru.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin is slightly surprised by Dr Bennett's question. The Doctor had earlier said it would take a while and seeing as they really, really should be leaving the planet, Rangin doesn't think he is going to solve the problem before they get back to the Yorktown.

Rangin presses a few more buttons, "Analysing Sir, although I was thinking of other things I can scan. There are plenty of creatures who can make a switch between various genders. I was wondering if a scan for any of those genetic markers might be worthwhile."

He pauses for a moment before looking back at the tricorder. "I'm sure Security have already scanned down the access tunnel to see who is approaching." Because Security are always so advanced in looking out for danger that Rangin is always doing their scanning for them. Last time, it was to find Kylah, on Anubis, and there he goes thinking of Kylah again.

Hmm, maybe that's not a bad idea. She has unique genetic markers from her tears, maybe the same principles could be applied here as well, hiding in plain sight, so to speak.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Bennett says, a little unhappily, "If I had another half-hour I could tell you with much greater certainty, Mr. Graham. But right now, at least with the data I have, I believe it's much more likely than not that this person really is Hutchinson." He says to Rangin, "I thought you were checking those readings now so that, with cross-referencing to some known civilization, as I said, I might figure out his - or her - identify with greater certainty. This person is clearly human; I see no reason to think he or she is an alien shapeshifter of any kind."

With no further prompting from Graham, Mr. Cornwall and Dr. Vasilyev board the shuttlecraft. Garcia and Serowe, realizing there aren't enough seats for everyone, give up theirs for the older civilians and settle aft on the Kaku's deck.

Hutchinson, if it is he, is the only person other than Graham now remaining outside the shuttle. He is looking worried.

The noise gets suddenly louder, and Graham now sees, approaching down the access tube, a group of hardbitten- and angry-looking people in miners' clothes. He can see the first three clearly, two men and a woman, more or less abreast in the relatively narrow tube. One man carries a heavy wrench, and the woman is holding a short metal club. The other people, perhaps a dozen or so from what Graham can see from where he now stands, are further behind but keeping pace.

The woman says, "Hold that shuttle! We want off this rock!" The others shout in agreement.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia's jaw sets and her hand hovers over the hatch control. Booker's the mission commander, he's the one who gives the orders. But she wants this shuttle ready to close up and launch, and she can't do that until he's safe.

Though her gaze doesn't deviate from the scene taking place beyond the opening to her left, she addresses the others inside. "Everyone prepare for quick takeoff," she says, maintaining a relatively calm tone despite her tension. "We're SRO, but everyone should be able to find a handhold, and of course the inertial dampers will help. I'll keep things smooth as possible."

Beneath her boots, Nia feels the familiar thrum of the Kaku's boosters and propulsion engines, restrained but seemingly impatient to be engaged. I know, girl. You wanna zoom the hell outta here as much as I do.

Can she retract the landing strut now, assuming it wasn't part of the earlier preparations?

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, that should be retracted after takeoff.

Registered
    May 2013

"Get onboard, whoever the hell you are," Graham says to Hutchinson, quickly. "Move, and bear in mind I'd be happy to throw you off with the slightest justification."

Not waiting for a reply, he shouts "We are leaving, Lt. Onn. Emergency dust off!"

Following Hutchinson, moving fast, he pushes him/her along if necessary.

Registered
    Jan 2018

"Yes sir, I quite agree they are human", Rangin replies to the irascible doctor, "and if I misunderstood I apologise, but I thought the question was about which technique or markers some known civilisation would have used to change more than just the physical appearance of the alleged Paul Hutchinson."

Rangin quietly goes back to the datapad ignoring the chaos around him that Graham will no doubt be dealing with in some manner. "Given that civilisations tend to base themselves on the environment around them, which particular genetic enhancement in nature might inspire this little trick." he mutters quietly to himself, while still loudly enough for the doctor to overhear.

First Rangin checks to see if it is a DNA shift of gender or if it has mainly been accomplished by surgery. Then cross match any genetic code that has been altered, and see what else had been changed.

Rangin thinks for a moment and before continuing, checks the date of Hutchinson's disappearance with the arrival of Annette White to the colony. Then checks the technically advanced races who could have been visited and allow time for the journey to be made. Perhaps that might narrow it down, instead of looking at everyone capable. At least, Rangin hopes so.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hutchinson doesn't need any further prompting. He clambers to his feet and quickly gets aboard the shuttle; Graham is right behind him. After glancing around the crowded passenger compartment, Hutchinson sits on the deck, as well. Russell continues to cover him with his phaser.

The mob does not sound pleased to have Graham and Hutchinson disappear into the Kaku. They come pounding down the access tube.

Dr. Bennett, still bent over his medical tricorder, grunts distractedly in response to Rangin.

Looking at his own tricorder Rangin is pretty sure, from the readings, that a DNA shift of this type could not have been accomplished by surgery. The molecular trace resonances suggest alteration either by nanobots, microsubstitution or some other highly advanced biomedical technology. Teasing out the mitochondrial echoes of any such treatment, especially in the all-important NnR07 and PW09 ranges, could take hours if not days, he sees. He also learns that almost a year passed between Hutchinson's disappearance from Starbase 9 and White's arrival on Novy Rostov. White arrived on the regular monthly ore carrier, as most civilians here do, and not an alien vessel. There is no record of any non-Federation-flagged starship having visited the mining colony in almost eight years.

Registered
    Apr 2015

As soon as Nia sees that Booker's securely supported by the Kaku's hatch ramp, she exhales in relief. "Raising the hatch," she calls out, fingers on the controls to retract the ramp and shut the doors. To accommodate the crowd onboard, she opens the door to the aft engineering access area.* "Not much more space but it's something. And someone can sit on the W.C."

Her attention isn't really on her passengers. Instead she focuses on the access tube and the colonists beyond it. It's hard to look at these desperate people, all simply acting the way most would when faced with cruel, arbitrary and imminent death. But Nia forces herself to stare at them. If she's about to fly away safely, refusing and unable to save them, she owes them that much respect. She needs to own this.

"Sealing the access to the shuttle," she says, voice hoarse and words slower than normal. Her left arm reaches out to disconnect the tube's access, and as she presses the button, Nia shakes her head in heavy regret. I'm sorry, she murmurs. I'm so sorry.

Once the shuttle is safely sealed from the mob's onslaught the Kaku and its inhabitants should be safe. Still, Nia quickly redirects her attention to defense and escape. If Booker is in the copilot's seat: "Lt. Graham, raise the deflector shields."

Otherwise, she'll reach over to raise them herself before engaging the boosters to escape from this ill-fated planet and its helpless citizens.

Class-F shuttle layout visible here. In the cross-section plan, the access space is to the left of the last seats.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 22 Jun 2020 at 02:34 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Graham takes his seat, and Nikolai at once climbs onto his lap.

Onn is able to close and seal the shuttlecraft's hatch, and the doorway to the access tube just beyond. The muted, irregular pounding on the door by the mob is instantly cut off, as Novy Rostov's tenuous atmosphere is too thin to carry sound waves. The Kaku's engines begin to thrum and, under the Sidonian pilot's careful control, the shuttle lifts smoothly from the landing pad, rising higher and higher above the mining colony.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham snaps the shields on, in the midst of real surprise Nikolai has climbed into his lap--that he immediately conceals.

"Ah--er," he clears his throat. "Shields raised, ma'am," he says, nodding in her direction, blushing just a little at Nikolai's reaction.

Graham hails Yorktown. "Graham to Yorktown. We are enroute. Be advised we had to make an emergency dust-off due to an imminent confrontation with a, ah--in my judgment, an 'angry mob.'"

Registered
    Apr 2015

The sight of Nikolai climbing up on Booker's lap is a much-needed bit of levity. Nia doesn't smile overtly--the noise of the abandoned crowd still resounds in her mind--but she returns Book's nod and adds an eyebrow raised in amusement.

Once he's finished his message, Nia makes her own contact. "Kaku to Shuttlebay Control. Confirming Lt. Graham's report with an addendum. We're coming in a little overweight, nothing significant but worth mentioning. The trip back should be just over 19 minutes, for an ETA of..."

(A quick check of the shuttle's chronometer will let her announce the specific time of arrival.)

Then she passes along the flight plan she put together following her pre-flight checklist. "Okay with you, Chief?"

A thought strikes her. She swivels pointlessly to confirm what she already knows, then turns back and mutes the mic--she'll flip it on if Shuttlebay Control needs her.

"Not a big deal here," she says just for the ears of the three Starfleet officers surrounding her. "But... the people back there who made the list? They probably packed luggage or cases or whatever, preparing for getting beamed up. Maybe it's worth it--if they're worrying--to tell them they'll have a chance to talk to our transporter chiefs to retrieve their cargo?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 23 Jun 2020 at 11:39 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin looks up as the others quickly board. Shaking his head at the sight of Hutchinson, he wonders when Graham got so soft. Then again, it's not his place to worry about it and he settles back into his work on the data. Although with Hutchinson there, maybe now would be a good time to ask.

As the shuttle rises he leans back, thinking on the results in front of him. This is some seriously high level tech that Hutchinson has had access to to carry the transformation. And for someone on the run to have access to this kind of thing is intriguing. And with no way to narrow down where he could have got it from, it's surprising how far you can travel in a year.

Rangin drums his fingers on his lap, trying to stem his curiousity and not wanting to dive down the criminal identity rabbithole he could do. But on a hunch, he adds what he knows of Orion Syndicate techniques against the amended DNA to see if it follows any of the same patterns, almost daring it to be true.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Acknowledged, Kaku," Communications Officer Thalen replies from the Yorktown. "We'll be ready for you." Graham and Onn can barely hear someone talking to him in the background. "Stand by." After a few seconds, he comes back on. "Please advise why the shuttlecraft is overweight."

The shuttle, rising higher still, passes through a rough patch in the troposphere. As Onn adjusts course, Nikolai worriedly grabs Graham around the waist. The others hang on as things get a little choppier; Dr. Vasilyev looks very uncomfortable in his seat.

When Rangin cross-checks an Orion medical database, accessing the starship's Library Computer through his tricorder via subspace link, he does see some similar bioengineering molecular markers.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia side-eyes Booker and gives a single-shouldered shrug. "Well, due to the developing mob situation, we took on a couple extra passengers who were potential hostage bait."

She tries to come up with further explanation that includes the fact that the adults are all lottery winners--if one includes "having murdered one's family and thus becoming very interesting to Starfleet" as having won a certain type of lottery--but avoiding a reference to Nikolai.

Her mind's blank. Fine. Explaining defensive tactics is Booker's area of expertise. She gestures to him. "Sir?"

Unobtrusively, she pushes the Kaku's speed a little higher. No reason to dally on their trip back home.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin looks at readings in front of him. "No way," he mutters under his breath, "really?" He shakes his head not totally believing himself, but then if you wanted to hide, had lots of money and needed someone with no ethics, then where else would be better to go. Rangin wonders what other price Hutchinson might have had to pay, either way he is a danger. The only question is how much of one.

There is little that he can discover at the moment until he gets back, but he will do what he can to see if his hunch is true.

But first, a little insurance policy and the knowledge Rangin is more against the Orion Syndicate than he is against Graham. Time to drop a little note across:

GRAHAM, LT: Hutchinson possible Orion Syndicate. Suggest all precautions be taken. -- RANGIN, ENS.

Rangin wishes he could scan Hutchinson again, but the ethics of doing so give him pause for thought. Instead he starts to check the previous readings for what he knows about Orions and whether there have been some other adaptations made besides gender.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham gives Nia a slight smile. He gently tousles Nikolai's hair.

If things had been different...

He's processing the chatter between the shuttle and Yorktown, thinking through his response, when his communicator alerts him to a text.

Orion Syndicate.

Jane's killers.

He reflexively flushes and tenses, just briefly, then blinks and clears his head. Freeing one hand, he taps back. "Noted thank you."

Whatever his feelings about Rangin, if that's true...it's good work.

He takes a deep breath. "Anyone at our landing location was, in my judgment, in danger of imminent harm. I believe our obligation was to evacuate everyone present."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Acknowledged, and thank you, Kaku," Thalen responds. "Safe trip. See you soon. Yorktown out."

Rangin reviews the database on Orion biomedical engineering, which is highly advanced indeed. The Orion Syndicate and other unaffiliated Orion organized crime rings - no less dangerous and resourceful - are known to be able to do just about anything, including full identity swaps for humanoids down to the cellular level, for a price. Changes can include sex (including external and internal genitalia), eye color, skin pigmentation, overall height, weight, fingerprints, hair color, facial and cranial structure, shortening or lengthening extremities, fingers and toes, and so on. It is still believed impossible to permanently change brainwave or retina patterns, or to change the genetic code of every single cell of the humanoid body, although there have been uncorroborated reports in the past few years as to research on each.

The shuttlecraft gets through the rough patch and climbs ever higher. Dr. Vasilyev relaxes a bit. Russell is still guarding Hutchinson, who is sitting quietly on the deck.

The sky has begun to darken, and the curvature of the planet is just becoming apparent through the three forward viewports.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 26 Jun 2020 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Revised as to retina patterns (per ST:TWOK)

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia nods in appreciation of the ease of Booker's reply. Shortest explanation is usually the best.

She takes in the view of Novy Rostov. That poor, doomed planet. And the poor doomed thousands who will die with her. "Forgive us," she whispers to all those they can't save.

Swallowing, Nia glances toward the co-pilot's seat for a more pleasant sight. She finds Booker--with Nikolai on his lap--still amusing, and frankly adorable. They look good together. Natural. He cherishes his smart, lovely daughter, and Nia's certain he's not the kinda guy to be disappointed that his firstborn child was a girl. Still... Nia wouldn't be surprised if he'd also like a son.

It all seems so familial, here up front. The three of them--Nia, Booker and Nikolai--could be returning from a short hop to a nearby recreational station. They've exhausted themselves swimming and surfing, gorged themselves on treats, and are now happily heading home.

Nia shakes her head gently. The whole scene is right out of an old fantasy, with a plot and characters she used to imagine as a child.

But you've miscast the mother character, she reminds herself, erasing the bittersweet images from her mind. The real mom is up on the ship, and Nia's only role is to deliver her family to her.

She smiles despite her wistfulness. If all Nia accomplishes is saving one child and returning him to one mother... that's a damn good job done.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 26 Jun 2020 at 12:09 AM.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin checks the results again, and it looks like they match up. He packages and timestamps his findings and holds them in reserve, ready to send to Dr Bennett. However, it can wait until they get back on board the Yorktown. The last thing he wants is the high-strung doctor to blurt something out in the shuttle and set Hutchinson off. No, let security handle it for the moment, after all it's the one thing that Graham is good for.

But if we are dealing with some with genetic alterations, Rangin decides to scan White and check to see if any other alterations or non-human additions have been made. Technically White is under arrest and being taken back, but it still sits uneasily with Rangin knowing how easy that kind of jurisdiction can be abused. However given the abilities of races across the universe, it is imperative to find out if Hutchinson is as strong as your average Vulcan or has some exotic pheromones or abilities that can affect other people like Kylah...

...like him, obviously, given he is thinking of her at a time like this. There goes his brain again....

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin begins his tricorder scan. Comparing the physiological details of Hutchinson's Starfleet medical records to White as she now sits on the deck of the shuttle, the xenobiologist notes the obvious sex change (including both external and internal genitalia, and breast augmentation), as well as a chondrolaryngoplasty or Adam's apple reduction. There have been changes to his facial structure, ear shape and eye color (from gray to brown), and he has a slightly now-darker skin pigmentation. The hips have been widened, but White's bone structure is otherwise largely unchanged. She is the same height as Hutchinson but weighs almost five kilos less than his last-reported weight. Although some of the DNA, RNA and cellular resonance readings are still puzzling, Rangin sees no indication of any non-Human additions to Hutchinson's genetic code or gross physical capabilities.

White seems to notice what Rangin is doing and briefly stares at him, but then looks away.

The shuttle clears the upper reaches of Novy Rostov's exosphere, and Onn matches orbit with the Yorktown.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham blinks and resists rubbing his head, putting on a brave face for the sake of Nikolai.

Instead he gives the kid a squeeze on the shoulder. "She' quite a pilot, don't you think?" he says to Nikolai, gesturing toward Nia.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Uh-huh," Nikolai says, loosening his grip a bit on Graham now that he can see the shuttle is safely out of the atmosphere. The boy stares raptly out the forward viewports. The starship is not yet visible ahead.

Registered
    Apr 2015

"The pilot appreciates your kind words," Nia says casually, casting a quick glance first at the boy, then Booker--two very different glances. "If you think this is impressive, Nikolai, wait'll you see the ship. It's a thing of beauty."

She mentally pushes the shuttle forward, impatient, although maintaining the actual speed. Safely landing the Kaku and going ahead with... well, whatever scheme works to keep Marala and Nikolai on board... are uppermost in her mind.

Slightly beneath these issues, she finds herself pondering the extraordinary coincidence that Hutchinson happened to be hiding as a museum guard, and suddenly this rare painting just had to be rescued, requiring a guard to accompany it. Is there a chance this is all B.S.? The museum director seemed genuinely shocked by the reveal about Hutchinson, but...

She scowls slightly and takes another look at Booker. "Y'know, thinking about Hutchinson," she murmurs, "A way off this planet sure fell into his lap, didn't it. You find anything hinky about the series of events?"

Registered
    May 2013

Graham more or less grunts. No, he grunts.

"It's a good point, Ni-- Lieutenant." He shakes his head. "A a lot of stuff needing to fall into place. Like enough that's--not about an individual actor. A...syndicate. A grander plan..." he says, voice low.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The shuttle soars high above Novy Rostov. Onn now can just glimpse the tiny, distant outline of the Yorktown ahead, against a rich backdrop of stars. The shuttle's helm course projection shows less than three minutes to arrival.

Dr. Vasilyev and Mr. Cornwall are talking quietly.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 05 Jul 2020 at 11:19 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Although the work done on Hutchinson is quite impressive, Rangin is slightly disappointed that he didn't go further. A different species would be far more interesting. Would be interesting to see what the medical records were but there is no way that Rangin will have access to them, although the doctor would.

Rangin shrugs and as the ship is still a few minutes away, he decides to pass the details he has found across to Dr Bennett and sends a copy back to Lt. Cmdr Roble back on board the USS Yorktown as he would know the best person to pass the data on to to work out what Rangin is missing.

Only one thing left to do. Rangin hooks into the details about saving people and seeing how much of a hard limit on Life Support they have, given the two extra people on board the shuttle who should not be there. Some people may be in for a very short disappointed life.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Part of Nia's mind is already engaged in the nearly autonomic process of preparing for the shuttle's landing procedures. But she's paying attention to Booker too, and his use of the term 'syndicate' makes her blink, then frown.

It's far from what she expected when she suggested some kind of connection between the museum director and Hutchinson, some made-up story about a valuable picture that can't be beamed up.

No: Booker said syndicate. Her first thought takes her, oddly, back to Sigma Iota II and its imitative mob-based governance.

But there's really only one Syndicate that matters, in a broader sense... in the Alpha Quadrant sense.

...In the Booker Graham's wife was murdered by them sense.

Nia jerks her head rightward to face him. Not just a glance now: a full-frontal stare. Are you saying what I think you're saying? Where the holy hell did that idea come from?

There's not much she can ask. Her mind's a blank. She just shakes her head in confusion and disbelief, hoping that's enough to express her understanding--what she thinks is her understanding--of Booker's specific use of that word.

When turning back, shaken more than she thought she would be by what's likely just a theory, she sees Nikolai. The poor kid is away from his mother, no father anymore, nor even a home. We should be talking to him more, she realizes. But for the life of her she can't think of a safe topic. "What grade are you in school--the one that's got another hour or so before it blows up?" Or maybe: "What do you like playing with your friends... you know, the friends that are probably gonna die?"

Desperate for something relatively safe, and trying to expunge the growing discomfort of whatever Booker was trying to tell her, Nia inhales and blurts out, "So, Nikolai--do you go by Nik or Niki, or do you like your whole name? Mine's a real mouthful for most people not from my planet, so I shorten it. Anyway... do you have any idea what you'd like to do when you grow up?"

If we save you and you get to grow up, that is?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Bennett looks over the information which Rangin has passed along to him and nods thoughtfully. "Thank you, Ensign. Good work." Science Officer Roble, aboard the Yorktown, does not immediately respond. The latest updated life support report from the starship indicates that its LS capacity is still projected to be stretched to its limits, and a good bit beyond. Transporter evacuations from the colony are now about half complete.

Nikolai tears his gaze away from the bow viewports and says, "Most people call me Nikolai, but some of my friends call me Niki." He smiles shyly at Onn. "You can call me whatever you want. What is your full name, ma'am? I like alien names. I sort of collect them." He considers for a moment, then says decisively, "And when I grow up, I'm gonna join Starfleet."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 08 Jul 2020 at 03:01 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham doesn't feel in a position to respond in so many words to Nia's obvious stare--"Rangin says Hutchinson's wrapped up with the Orion Syndicate" doesn't seem appropriate. Not does "keep an eye on Nikolai while I decide whether to space him."

He's grateful for her question to Nikolai, though.

When I grow up, I'm gonna join Starfleet.

His jaw clenches for a moment. Maybe not if we send your mom and/or you to the surface to die springs to mind.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The starship grows larger ahead, moment by moment. The wide disc of the primary hull, the tapering bulk of the secondary hull and the long twin warp nacelles are now distinctly visible as the shuttle approaches from astern. Onn taps a ship-to-ship comm key, saying, "Yorktown, this is Shuttlecraft Kaku. Request permission to dock."

After a brief pause the reply comes back: "Hello, Kaku. This is Yorktown Shuttlebay Control. Welcome back. You cleared to approach."

"Thank you, Yorktown," the Sidonian woman says. "Now approaching on course 300 mark 6."

"Acknowledged. Docking clearance code Alpha Omicron 42 Charlie. Status nominal. Standard approach approved. Proceed, Kaku."

The massive clamshell hangar doors ponderously swing open. Onn reduces speed and deftly brings the shuttlecraft straight in, the starship now filling your field of vision. The shuttle eases over the fantail, past the small elevated control booths to either side, and settles, with hardly a bump, on the rectangular, red-and-yellow landing target painted on the deck. The hangar doors close behind you and you soon hear the shuttle's outer hull crackle slightly as breathable air rushes back into the massive bay.

After a minute or so you hear over the comm system, "Kaku, this is Yorktown. Shuttlebay repressurization is complete. You may now shut down your engines, and are cleared to disembark."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 09 Jul 2020 at 07:32 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

After acknowledging Shuttlebay Control, Nia performs the shutdown procedures. When the Kaku has sighed herself to sleep, the pilot exhales almost in mimicry of the shuttle, then pats her thighs twice as a sort of 'atta-girl' gesture; it's a ritual Nia started back on Sidonia and she doesn't even think of it. Doesn't even realize she still does it.

Next she turns her crooked smile to the boy beside her, hiding her nerves. A safe landing is definitely not the end of this journey--his safety is.

"Sorry, Nikolai, things got a bit busy. I like your name very much. It's strong and pleasing to hear. To answer your question, I'm Ve'ne'ko'nia'onn. Technically it's five names strung together, each with a different meaning. I can explain it later if you want, but..."

She notes the enthusiasm radiating off the boy, and by shifting her gaze to Booker she can almost sense the myriad emotions that he's trying to hide by that handsome but grimly sober face.

"But for now," she continues, "we crewmembers have a lot on our plate--and I can tell you're just itching to see what the monarch of Starfleet ship classes looks like from the inside. Just hang on a sec'."

She swivels behind her. "Before I open the hatch... Everyone secure and ready? Lt. Graham, do you want to, uh, coordinate with Mr. Russell?"

Which loosely translates to Do you want to take physical hold of Hutchinson, hopefully without twisting his arms off?

Nia takes a longer look at the former fugitive. He killed his family--allegedly--and now he could somehow be connected with the Orion Syndicate? She's really clueless as to how Book lit upon this theory, but she can't argue the point. She trusts him. He must've seen something, heard something, maybe received an emergency alert from Vargas on his communicator, to come to this conclusion. Even if it's just a hunch, Booker hasn't been wrong very often. Not in her experience.

All her babbling--although it's perfectly reasonable chatter--is primarily trying to chill Book down, keep things casual under the pretense that neither of them believe there's a member or ally or customer or whatever of the motherfucking Orion Syndicate onboard.

Meanwhile, what else? Oh yeah. That bloody painting. She nods to Dr. Vasilyev and the non-security officers."Let's let the shuttlebay crew deal with the box once the rest of us are off, okay? People first, then inanimate objects." She suddenly winces, realizing she should defer to Booker... what with his being mission commander and all. "That okay with you, sir?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 10 Jul 2020 at 01:41 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Walking across the Shuttlebay deck towards the Kaku are Cmdr. Pablo Vargas, Lt. Cecilia Bennett, Mrs. Marala Gromov and a Security team of six. Nikolai has not yet seen his mother.

A group of techs led by Lt. Hans Meyer emerges from an alcove on the other side and approaches the shuttle, preparing to take it by the large service elevator to the maintenance bay one deck below.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 13 Jul 2020 at 11:42 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin listens to Lt Onn up front and it appears she subscribes to the fact that the Captain of the ship, or in this case the shuttle, is in charge. There is little left for him to do, other than wait and see what happens next. The lottery has been run, so there is no point going there. Dr Bennett has his findings, as does Chief Science Office Roble, so if they need him, he will be right there. Security can handle both the painting and Hutchinson and Rangin really, really hopes that Graham decides to be sensible about it.

That just leaves Kylah...who is confined to quarters, and there is probably no chance of Rangin being able to visit her given the message he received last time he tried to communicate with her.

Oh well, time to see who else he is going to share a room with...and if that happens to take him past Kylah's quarters so be it.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham nods in response to Nia's comments. "Agreed, that painting isn't going anywhere."

Hopefully not Nikolai, either.

Graham stands and approaches Hutchinson. "Russell, take an arm, I'll get the other. Lt. Onn, as pilot, lead the way. We'll walk...him or her...out next."

The despair Graham feels as he sees Vargas and a Security team accompanying Marala to the shuttle has only been matched once and only once in his life.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia sees the approaching army of redshirts and her immediate reaction is Seems overkill for one fugitive, but at least we've got no worries he'll get away.

Then her gaze shifts to find: Marala. With Vargas himself, and all the security officers, and...

This isn't just for Hutchinson.

And everything stops. Every organ, every muscle... every nerve, bone, blood cell and quark within Nia seems to solidify into rock. Scales prickle her cold skin and slither into place, ready to protect her from a knife or claw.

But they can't protect against the implacable minds of sapients, those who wield power over life and death. Over life, death, love, sex, family.

Family.

Dizziness almost undoes her. The girl sways and nearly collapses over the bundle in her lap. But Nia revives with a gasp, straightening--as best as she can while hidden in this thorny tangle of dead branches. They camouflage her well, but their speckled shade does nothing against the heat. She's keeping her scales at bay, since the shine would make her far too visible. Truth is, she's so weak she's not even sure her scales can appear.

She wipes her forehead dry. It isn't sweat: she barely perspires--like most Sidonians. The liquid dripping down her forehead, neck and shoulder blades is blood, scratched free by the thorns.

Every instinct tells her to bury herself deep, deep into the clay-colored earth to escape the worst of the heat. She can survive below ground a fairly long time without air: her metabolism would slow while she's cooled by dirt that has never suffered the burning, toxic blast from the sun. Sidam: the dying star murdering the entire planet.

Her ability to breathe isn't the issue. No. She can't go underground, even if she were well enough.

Another wave of pain blurs Nia's vision but she blinks hard. That's how she spots the movement coming over the massive dunes a hundred yards away, and that, in turn, prevents her from fainting. Now she's alert, frozen in place, praying and pretending that the spattered trail of red, much redder than the clay, hasn't led the hunters to her. She has worse wounds than the thorns' cuts. The longer she crouches here, the more her lifeblood seeps into the ground beneath.

She willfully shuts her eyes. If I can't see them, they can't see me, she promises in thoughts turned stupid and slow and superstitious. And if the hunters aren't there, they won't take what belongs to her--in every single way but the law.

"She's near." The voice is one she doesn't recognize. Ugly. Harsh. Powerful. Female. "Thief! Ve'ne'ko'onn, surrender yourself."

Nia stays silent. She can stay silent very, very well. It doesn't escape her that the woman left out Nia's own name. This stranger is also a thief, stealing Nia's unique identity, her personhood. And--

"I can't see anything, where are you looking?"

These words, from a young man who sounds desperate. Shuddering, Nia squeezes her eyes even tighter. She knows him. Night after night for six months, she listened to that same whisper: he was fearful and uncertain and hating himself for it. And--like many creatures--he turned the perceived weakness into aggression.

Every. Night.

more...

Watching the approaching group, Nia inhales. She doesn't remember when she last inhaled, actually. Seems like hours ago.

Sanctuary didn't work. Nia knew it was a longshot. Part of her never believed such an ancient, obscure ritual--not really a ritual, but she doesn't know what else to call it--would wash. Even inside the chapel, while trying to boost Marala and Booker's spirits, Nia was practically bluffing her way into giving the pair confidence. But what else could she do? Marala and Nikolai... they can't be sent back. And even if Vargas or the Captain is willing to allow the boy alone, it's not right to separate a parent and child like that.

Nia knows this, possibly as well as anyone can.

Neither should Marala be left behind to sacrifice herself. Nikolai's already lost his father, and Marala's already suffered so much. She's a smart, caring, good-natured woman whom Nia already likes. Part of it is, of course, what they share. How Marala looked so affectionately at Booker, how she knows him, cares for him.

Book. Slowly Nia drags her focus to him. No. Nothing in the infinite reaches of the galaxy will allow Nia to watch this man suffer this loss. To mourn his onetime love, unable to prevent this terrible thing from happening... Not a second time. How can he bear it? Losing Marala just as he did his wife?

Then it happens.

Again her lungs hitch in the middle of breathing. She looks down at her hands, capable, strong, able to fix almost anything technical that can be fixed. All at once she's back on Sidonia with that bracing resolve, flash of an idea, and not a small amount of self-destructive insanity.

Because... the chapel.

Life speeds up again. She stands and takes hold of Booker's wrist, and at the same time touches Nikolai's shoulders with her free hand. Still gentle, not in a panic though she absolutely is in a fucking panic.

"Um, hey. Booker. Nikolai. Can you guys do something for me? A bit of... play-acting." She kneels slightly so she's almost Nikolai's height. "Well, not so much play-acting as going, like, undercover. You know how that works, right, Nikolai? Pretending you're something you're not, or that you're in a totally different situation and keep your cool? You can do that, I bet. Just play along, watch us say some weird things and not make a big deal, even if you know they're not true?"

Her head tilts to the man on the other side of her, looking intently up at him. Her voice lowers even further, gets a bit husky, because--because so many reasons, though right now uppermost is pure fear. "Can you do that too, Book? If your friend's out of the, uh, Sanctuary, that idea might be out the window. If so, I think... I have another possibility. You might not be thrilled, but can you just... roll with things? Let me take whatever flak comes and then roll with the weird sh-- um, weird stuff I might start spewing?" Nia blinks and then mouths silently: "Trust me?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 15 Jul 2020 at 01:44 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nikolai says to Onn, "I... guess so?" He seems puzzled, maybe even a little scared again, and looks from Onn to Graham for reassurance.

Russell stands and helps Graham remove Hutchinson from the shuttle. One of the Security officers who has just arrived holds a pair of duranium hand restraints, which she puts on the unresisting prisoner. Cmdr. Vargas says, "Paul Hutchinson, also known as Annette White, pursuant to a warrant issued by the Federation District Court, and under the authority granted to me by Starfleet, you're under arrest on suspicion of homicide and other charges." Vargas reads Hutchinson his rights under Federation law. At a nod from the First Officer, Russell and two of the Security officers leave with him, presumably for the Brig.

The others in the shuttle, including Rangin, leave it and stand for the moment just outside. Dr. Vasilyev carries the case with the priceless Van Gogh. Onn and the little boy are the last two to leave.

Engineering personnel begin leading into the Shuttlebay a steady stream of Novy Rostov evacuees, each with a single suitcase or travel-container of belongings, and start setting up bunks, simple metal chairs and low tables for them. It is apparent that the cavernous space, the largest open compartment aboard the Yorktown, will be put to use in housing many of those beamed up from the doomed colony.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin stands at ease and glances around at the busy nature of the shuttle bay. He waits to see if he is going to be needed further or if they are going to be asked a few questions first.

On the other hand with Marala and her son and Graham all in one place given the outcome of the lottery; well that would certainly be worth waiting around for.

Registered
    Mar 2012

After nearly a half hour of staring up at the ceiling, Kylah accepts the miserable fact that she is incapable of conceiving of a plan to salvage this disastrous situation. She has even pushed outwards to find someone, anyone, whose mind might have been open enough to hers to influence.

But she does not know enough people who would be receptive to her, either because of their own psi abilities or a particularly close connection to her. T'Var fits both categories but is too controlled for Kylah to reach, not from so far away even with her hardest efforts. And Velir... he is likely lost to her entirely, even if she dared break her own vow not to intrude upon him. Besides, he is far away on a mission.

Now she braces her exhausted self until she is ready to get up from the bed. She trudges to the bathroom and, with one look at the wreckage that is her face--particularly her dull, tear-stained eyes--knows she must take a shower to help clear her head.

She wastes no time with lotion or any other skin treatments that are her usual routine. After she washes, rinses and dries herself she moves to her dresser for her underwear, then to her closet. Automatically she reaches for a clean uniform, but then hesitates. If her superiors consider her unfit for duty, she will not wear a uniform she no longer deserves. Instead she hunts through her own belongings to find a specific, lavender-colored dress.

This particular dress, several years old, was actually packed with the rest of her wardrobe only by mistake. But this error was fortunate: out of her civilian clothes, this best fits her diminished figure. The others will have to be altered or replaced.

Slipping into her sandals, Kylah again turns to her reflection in the mirror.

The sight is... a disgrace. She is a disgrace. For some cruel reason she suddenly remembers her encounters with Velir, not an hour ago. He was open to her, nearly as sympathetic as he had been when they were truly friends. Some of the last things he said to her...
    "Kylah, what have you gotten yourself into?" Rangin waves a hand as if to brush away her arguments like flies buzzing around his head. "No, I can't promise anything. Just whose and what orders are you following?"
    And later, his relentless questioning led to his inevitable deduction:
    "Regardless, if you go back to your quarters now, at this moment in time, I will be informing Lt. Graham in approximately one minute about your disobeying orders. Just answer me one thing: you need to save someone from the planet, don't you?"

She tries to explain, to share how vital it is to her family, to her very life, but--

"Don't," Rangin says, low and grim. "Don't do it, we are over the capacity for Life Support as it is. You bring any more on board, hidden away, and it will be a slow death for all of us."
    Kylah stands still in her quarters, her prison, and her eyes remain shut. She has done all he warned her against. What will he think of her? Is he the one who told Cmdr. Vargas that she needed to be watched? Why did she ever think he would help her, at the cost of his ethics and scientific certainty she would doom the whole crew? Now only Lt. Ferguson is of any use to her, and that came with a terrible price. One, she realizes too clearly, she will never stop paying, no matter what deal they agreed upon.

She sighs and holds her hands over her eyes. Oh Velir, how I needed you.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nikolai sees his mother as he and Onn step from the shuttle. He calls out excitedly, "Mama! Mama!" and breaks free from Onn, running to his mother, who bursts into tears, kneels and takes him into her arms.

Vargas says, "Mr. Bennett, see to the Gromovs and Mr. Cornwall, please."

"Certainly, Commander," the young Englishwoman says, smiling a little wistfully at the family reunion.

"Mr. Three Crows, Mr. de la Paz," Vargas next says to two of the Security officers who came with him, "accompany Dr. Vasilyev, take charge of the painting and see that it's secured in the ship's vault. Then show the doctor to his quarters." He says to Rangin, "Mr. Rangin, report to Mr. Roble in the Xenobiology Lab. He has something he needs your help with." The First Officer looks at the shuttlecraft's other occupants. "And Dr. Bennett, Mr. Serowe, Mr. Garcia, you may return to your regular duties, if you please."

With a chorus of "Aye, sirs," they leave.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 19 Aug 2020 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Spelling error fixed

Registered
    May 2013

"Anything," Graham whispers back to Onn gratefully.

Graham's eyes flick from person to person in the shuttlebay, noting who's Security versus another function...

If only Nia knew that what he's contemplating now is that with the various departures of personnel, the odds of using force to spirit Marala and Nikolai away, and keep them protected just long enough to survive have gotten better...not good. But what's left?

Registered
    Apr 2015

Quite frankly, Nia has no idea what is going on. She quickens her pace to meet up with Booker and Vargas. "Sir?" she says cautiously. Can things really be this simple?

Deleted stuff. Okay I don't think either GU or I saw your post, EH. Well. This changes a lot.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 18 Jul 2020 at 09:23 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Kaku and its maintenance crew drop out of sight on the elevator. Novy Rostov evacuees and Engineering staff continue to flow into the Shuttlebay.

"Mr. Graham, Mr. Onn, come with me, please," the First Officer says. He turns to head back across the expanse of the Shuttlebay deck. The two remaining Security officers appear ready to fall in behind the human and the Sidonian.

Registered
    Jan 2018

"Aye, sir," Rangin dutifully calls out with the other crew. He wonders if Roble is going to follow up on the data he sent to him. Rangin certainly hopes so as there is little else he can do for the evacuation as far as he knows. It also looks like Vargas wants a private word with Lt. Onn and Graham and that is not something Rangin wants any part of.

He heads for the turbolift and his mind begins to consider how everyone else doing, perhaps even see how Kylah is doing although the fact Vargas is in the same room and watching him...what a situation she must be in.

He steps in and as the doors close he feels trapped, both in the turbolift and the events that are overtaking him. Without thinking, he calls out for deck seven, where Kylah is because...because. He stops and changes it to the Science area, knowing that is where he should be going, but wondering why he did not just go and check on her.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Alone in her quarters, Kylah lets out a gasp. She stands stock-still and blood rushes to her face, now visibly pink in the mirror across from her; her eyes are wide and bright. For one inexplicable second she almost--almost--imagines it possible to successfully communicate her longing to Velir. That he might still help, or at least sympathize...

But the confidence is slippery, elusive. Almost as soon as she identifies this strange instinct, it dissipates into nothingness. Her skin prickles as the flush also vanishes. Kylah's reflection once more resembles a wan, lifeless mannequin.

When she closes her eyes to block out the image, she can instead see words in front of her, words read on a screen countless times: "Elasian women are taught to be decorative in order to deceive."

They came from an extraordinarily biased, lurid account of her cousin Elaan's... interlude... with the Enterprise and specifically Captain Kirk on the way to Troyius, as published by the filthy gossip rag You Know You Want It.

The events and subsequent article came out during Kylah's second year at the Academy, and for weeks afterward her inbox was pelted with links and quotes of the many unflattering speculations about her race.

While the quote she just recalled is an exaggeration, it is not entirely false. Certainly, right now Kylah would be deceptive if she had the energy or inclination to pretend all was normal by performing the ritualistic tasks of applying makeup and dressing her hair.

These acts are considered mandatory in her society, no different from brushing one's teeth. Elasian women and men learn the skills of attraction, artistry and beautification. And Kylah's mixed heritage made such tasks even more vital. "Others must never question that you possess Elasian blood," a warning drilled into her countless times by her mother, her tutor and even her little sister, once Ditraa grew old enough to learn of Kylah's background.

Uncle Aldaan, despite just how much attention he pays her appearance, has at least been tactful enough to make disapproving references to it only when she neglects herself in some way. As he did just this morning.

Truly? Was it only this morning? Kylah shakes her head in disbelief. Yes. Despite the emergency of saving his colleague's life, her uncle had taken time to comment on her decline visible in her last message to him.

Looking at herself now, Kylah cannot disagree. Her loose, damp hair seems longer and flatter without her attending to it. Her complexion is mostly pale with uneven red patches where she toweled herself too vigorously. With its relatively modest neckline and delicate lace hem falling to her knees, the lavender dress is more a girl's outfit than a woman's.

All in all, Kylah looks barely older than sixteen-year-old Ditraa. A dim sense of shame makes her slump at the recognition that she is betraying both her Elasian culture and years of training. But Kylah is too tired and scared and sad to do anything else.

At last she sits at her computer. After a few moments rousing herself to action, Kylah taps her keypad to compose a draft of a message, once more to Uncle Aldaan. If the worst happens and Mr. Yarrow and Mrs. Soeryadjaya are returned to their doomed fates, Aldaan will have to be told.

Of course, Kylah cannot actually send any correspondence thanks to the restrictions on her account. But she must record her grievous apology now. Because afterward, if she fails her Guardian's orders, she sincerely doubts she will have the courage.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Accidentally-on-purpose, Nia brushes her fingers against Booker's hand when she starts to follow Vargas, very aware of the others nearby. Her emotions lie somewhere between frightened and seething.

Damn, Book and I must rate pretty high on the threat scale. Including Vargas, we've got as many redshirts guarding us as the fucking murderer.

At least Nikolai and Marala are together. Things have certainly played out differently than expected. In the shuttle, Nia had been about to reassure the boy about what was gonna happen. Unsure about Cmdr. Vargas's reaction to all this, she wondered how to gain his sympathy, how Nikolai should play this. Scared and crying?

No, she thought almost immediately. Nia strongly suspected that a little boy trying to hide his fear was more likely to touch the Security Chief's heart. Sober; brave; resolved to be strong. Out of nowhere she'd suddenly recalled the Chief's office, so bare of any personal objects aside from a small framed image of two older people. And astonishingly, an unaccustomed flash of empathy welled up for him: Pablo Vargas may have been just this sort of child.

Then Nikolai dashed away so quickly, she had no time to advise him. Once she saw Cece beaming her beatific grace at the mother-and-son pair, it didn't seem likely that Nia needed to worry about the Gromovs after all.

What Nia worries about now is the man next to her. He's got a record of going rogue. She--despite some dark looks and Straight Talks and so on from various superior officers--has almost no major blemishes on her record.

Marala and Nikolai might be safe. Nia's protective instincts now focus on Booker.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The First Officer, Onn, Graham and the two Security officers make their way through corridors noisily crowded with NR evacuees, and Yorktown personnel helping them, to Vargas's office, a quiet refuge by comparison. The redshirts wait outside.

Vargas sits behind his desk and looks a long time at Onn and Graham before saying, "Perhaps one of you would care to explain how it was that Lt. Bennett found Mrs. Gromov hiding in the Chapel as she was settling some evacuees in there, and then you just happen to return from the surface with Mrs. Gromov's son, neither of whom drew a winning number in the lottery." It does not particularly sound like a question.

Rangin passes through similarly-crowded ship's corridors, jostled repeatedly as he goes, to find Science Officer Roble in the Xenobiology Lab.

Roble is meeting with four other Science officers and discussing the latest projections on the star's impending radiation burst. "The Captain wants to break orbit in 50 minutes," he says, glancing at a chrono on the bulkhead. "That will just give us time to finish beaming up colonists and still get out of the system with a halfway-decent safety margin."

"But, sir..." one of the scientists starts to say, but Roble sees Rangin, nods to the young Coridanite and cuts her off. He says, "I'm sorry, but that's how it's going to be. You have your orders. Dismissed." They leave.

Roble, who looks like he's aged five years in the past day, says to Rangin, "Welcome back, Ensign. I need your help. One of the colonists, a miner, is a Maat. Do you have any experience with them?" You do not, and tell him so. Roble says, "Well, the Maat are monosexual humanoids who believe that anyone with whom they exchange genetic material becomes part of their family. This particular Maat was picked in the lottery and says it has now shared DNA with three of its coworkers, all miners, and thus claims that they're officially 'family members' under the colonial government's policy and are also now entitled to evacuation. The Maat, whose name is Xinle Bek, has already been beamed up; the other three haven't been, at least not yet. Look into the situation ASAP and let me know what you think. I have to make a recommendation to the Captain. Questions?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 23 Jul 2020 at 09:38 AM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham feels Nia close, but everything else has become distant. It's a thousand-yard stare, the worst remembrance of the worst times of his career in Starfleet Security.

Why was it Cecilia that found her?

Why was I too dumb to keep Marala?

Why did I fail to protect Jane?

Why might I betray Nia now?

Stunning Vargas...doable, but there are two outside and Vargas is smart. Wouldn't leave room unmonitored. And Nia...she shouldn't be here if it came to that.

Or do you stick a knife in Nia...because whatever it takes...

Graham blinks and takes a deep breath. It takes Herculean effort not to look at Nia, because he desperately wants to, but also wants her not to go down with him.

"Because I've loved Marala since we were teen-agers," Graham replies, assuming parade rest.

"The school records will show we lived nearby."

"I wanted her to marry me, on this re-acquaintance, but to her credit she was concerned it would smack of being highly inappropriate given the circumstances. I believed she could not refuse someone who brought to her, her son."

Graham pauses. "A son that might have been my own boy, if things had been different, sir."

+ Reply to thread