+ Reply to thread
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 33 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,150 of 2466

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #6: "Marala"

Registered
    Sep 2009

The civilian phaser-1 is an unfamiliar model to Rangin. Still, he easily confirms that it is set on Stun.

In just a few seconds, Onn steps through the shuttle's doorway, descends the few stairs and stands beside Graham in the access tube. Nikolai's eyes are wide as saucers, but Cornwall's hand rests comfortingly on his shoulder.

Not surprisingly, the door does not open for Kylah. Her bleaching program appears to be nearly complete, although it is difficult to determine exactly, given its scope. There is no indication that anyone from Security has noticed it.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 14 Apr 2020 at 11:01 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Eyes closed, Kylah sinks heavily into her chair. At least one huge fear has been temporarily abated.

A few calming breaths later, she leans forward to attack her keyboard once more. She backs out of the directory and heads to her original destination: trying to find any way to sneak past the restrictions on her Comms account. Either that, or creating a temporary ID... or even finding someone's currently inactive account.

Lt. Fujishiro, she thinks in a flash of inspiration. The immediate pleasure in having formed such a clever idea is quickly clouded by shame. Further proof of the erosion of her ethics is that despite knowing how wrong this is, she will continue anyway.

Well aware that all of these are nigh-on impossible tasks, she must try them, notwithstanding. What other productive actions can she take while imprisoned in her quarters?

If she is to be treated like a criminal--which she is, but Cmdr. Vargas does not know it--Kylah will act as one.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia's heart aches at seeing Nikolai's anxious little face. She offers him a confident, friendly nod and beams a warm smile that hopefully transmits her silent message: I promise you'll be safe, if Booker Graham has anything to say about it. Or me.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Lt. JG Fujishiro Tomoe Iota's shipboard Communications account has been closed.

Nikolai smiles a little uncertainly at Onn, then looks back at Graham.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham hopes his glance back at Nia conveys how grateful he is to have her here.

"Hi Nikolai, Mr. Cornwall," Graham says quietly, as reassuringly as he can, glancing at each in turn. He exhales. "At the moment, Marala is on the Yorktown."

He rubs his chin, glances at Nia, and then back to the pair. "And I gave her my word I'd get you up there, too, Nikolai."

"The question is 'how,'" he sighs. He can't help but chuckle and glance at Onn, his expression obviously un-serious. "If only I could find a legitimate basis to give him Rangin's seat."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 14 Apr 2020 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Cornwall name fixed

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah hoped to find a way to revive Lt. Fujishiro's account through some old backup, but without that, she continues to seek a way to get a message past her harshly limited permissions.

Her scowl deepens in frustration. This is an embarrassment. She is a well-thought-of Communications officer, despite her flaws. Her one area of expertise, and she has been forced to this rudimentary access. Lt. Thalen should not have allowed it, he should have advocated for her. Perhaps he did? Cmdr. Vargas outranks him, after all, and would have final say.

She cannot help glancing toward the door. Her temporary roommate might walk in, and will find Kylah doing nothing but typing at her terminal. Another embarrassment. Of course shame is a luxury, and there are infinitely worse ramifications of all this, but one more indignity would be...

Kylah's hands slowly lower from her keyboard. The roommate--the name escapes her--very well might walk in. She has access to their cabin now. Able to walk in. And out.

And out.

Returning to her terminal, Kylah presses her lips together in thought, then opens the Comms. crew and department directory. She will try a test run to answer the question that has just sprung to mind: Has Cmdr. Vargas allowed her to contact anyone in either Security or Sickbay, or just the departments in general?
    ALVAREZ, ENS. - Carlos, I just wanted to thank you for your generosity and assistance today. I know you are busy, and I should not bother you just because I am currently alone in my cabin and feeling the weight of solitude. But I do want to repeat how grateful I am to have found a new friend. I hope we may meet again under better circumstances. -- KYLAH
    She tentatively presses SEND and prays that the message successfully reaches the medical officer.

Registered
    Apr 2015

It takes almost more restraint than Nia possesses, keeping her face unchanged after Booker's remark. But she's a good dissembler--you have to be if you ignore as many dumbass forward passes as she overhears from her drunk Engineering pals on shore leave.

So she shows none of her dismay over Booker's joke. He's stressed and desperate, she knows that. But damn... making a crack like that in front of civilians, and possibly even within earshot of the target in question?

All she does is mock-punch his shoulder and pretends it's all a lighthearted gag. And then ignores it. "My thinking," she says in as low an undertone as she can get while still being heard, "was two things. For lottery winners like Mr. Cornwall here, are they allowed to take their belongings? And if so, how, um, big can their luggage be?" She measures with her hands and oh-so-randomly measures a height equal to the boy in front of her.

"Otherwise... if Nikolai has an urgent wish to see a Starship, I don't see why we can't give him that last wish courtesy of our shuttle. I'm the de facto captain; I can let anyone on board I want." She pauses, then turns her voice into a whisper meant for Booker alone as she leans into his shoulder. "And keep off anyone I don't want. Hutchinson is not boarding the Kaku, Lieutenant. Just in case you had any doubts on that point."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 14 Apr 2020 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Cornwall name fixed

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Hi," says Nikolai, giving a little wave.

"Hello, Mr. Graham," Cornwall says solemnly. "Good to see you again; of course I wish it were under more pleasant circumstances."

Kylah at once sees this flash on her Library Computer screen: Message not sent. Communications on this terminal currently limited to Sickbay and Security duty officers of the watch, by order of the First Officer.

Rangin is back in the shuttle and not within earshot of Graham or Onn.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 14 Apr 2020 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Cornwall name fixed

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin is rather happy that the phaser is only set to stun and no longer in the hands of the person outside. He has to acknowledge that Lt Onn’s sub-vocalised question about starting to track the path of the Security guard is definitely a good idea and she had thought about it before he had.

“Know thine enemy” as they say, Rangin puts the phaser carefully to one side and then pulls out the details he has for the colony and starts his background check on Hutchinson. He considers informing the USS Yorktown but decides against it on the grounds that he has not yet been ordered to do so, and if he does what is the likelihood of being forced to bring them back with the painting and that is something Rangin does not want.

No, it’s better just to use what he has at hand instead and they can make a decision later, preferably once they have left the colony.

Registered
    Sep 2009

What details would Rangin like to see for the Novy Rostov colony? Hutchinson, he learns, has been working as a guard at the NR Museum for eight months.

Registered
    Mar 2012

A groan escapes Kylah the moment the message on her screen sinks in. She reads it again, as if the meaning will change. But it just confirms her failure, her hopelessness. She has risked and schemed and bargained and stretched her imagination and morals to their fullest, all for nothing. Mrs. Soeryadjaya and Mr. Yarrow will likely be discovered while she is trapped in this room. Trapped by her lies, trapped in her future, whatever future her uncle decides for her.

Hysteria-tinged disappointment surges until she stands up with a jerk, the chair tipping backwards before her natural instinct kicks in and she grabs it, carefully righting it just as anyone would.

But a second later emotion takes over once more and she slams it in place to crash against the desk. And again. And a third and fourth time until she lets out a scream of despair before shoving the wretched thing away.

Spinning around blindly, she stumbles to her bed and collapses to her knees against it as if in prayer. But there is nothing left to pray for, even if she believed a higher power existed much less has ever been willing to accede to her pleas.

Instead she surrenders to the looming sense of disaster. She cannot fight it any more. Huddled on the floor at the corner of her bed, Kylah buries her face in her thin blanket, bunched together by white-knuckled fists so she can muffle the ugly sobs repressed throughout this entire excruciating day.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin considers what else to look up on the fugitive outside, then remembers the brief work he had done earlier in trying to find Hutchinson and decides to repeat it but with the knowledge of who they are.

So, when did Hutchinson/White arrive on the planet, travelling alone or with others, any relations, friends and so on? Whatever he can gather from the limited resources he has both access and permission to view.

As a thought, Rangin cross references in to his search what he knows about the Starfleet agent following her, curious to see how close or not she ever came to finding her quarry.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham reaches his arm back as subtly as he can in order to give Onn's arm a quick, grateful squeeze as she whispers her position on Hutchinson.

"If we can keep Mr. Cornwall free of any risk of getting into trouble, I'm all for it. And..." He rubs his chin. "Thank you, Lieutenant," he says slowly and sincerely, coming to grips with what seems to be the best plan. "If we can get Nikolai onto Yorktown, I know the ship well enough to keep him and Marala onboard even if--well, regardless."

Even if Security is hunting them and we get into a firefight. I only have to hold out long enough for the ship to jump away.

What feels like the necessity of that risk sinks in. Would Lizzy visit me in the brig? Nia?

He looks for Nia's eyes and repeats "Thank you," quietly.

"Whaddya say, Nikolai? Sorry things are so messed up, but would you like to see a top flight Federation starship?"

Registered
    Apr 2015

Warmed by Booker's gratitude, Nia is quickly chilled by his implication that he'd turn into some kind of fugitive, hiding in the ducts or tubes of the ship.

As long as we keep Cornwall out of trouble. What kinda trouble is worse than your plan to get into a firefight in the bowels of the ship with an eight-year-old kid? Or however old he is....

She hides her concern and faces Cornwall. Avoid his getting in trouble. Well, the old dude has been here for Marala and Nikolai. Maybe he'd like the opportunity to decide how deep he's willing to go?

While Booker asks the boy his question, Nia sidles over to the older man.

"'Scuse me, sir. Mind if I ask... do you have a spouse or family joining you onboard?" She glances over to Nikolai, hopefully making it clear to Cornwall what she's thinking. "If not, are you and Marala close enough that you'd be willing to affirm that you're life partners?"

She tries to size him up. Is he shocked? Pleased by the idea that could save his friends' lives? Is he the type to partner with a woman, for that matter? Not that it matters, she thinks with typical pragmatism. Why would anyone who'd object know, one way or another?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah cries on in miserable solitude.

Rangin finds the NR civilian database somewhat hard to navigate and not all that helpful, but learns that Hutchinson apparently came to the mining colony alone from Penton III, and has no relations or friends here, at least none on record. Lt. Patricia Camden is a 13-year veteran of Starfleet, most of that time in Security, and a capable and respected officer, from all he can see. The Coridanite xenobiologist cannot access her case reports, which are classified, and doesn't know how close she ever came to finding her quarry.

Nikolai's eyes are big as saucers. He asks Graham, "Really? To come back to the ship with you? Now?" He looks uneasily over his shoulder. "Could Mr. Cornwall come, too?"

There's not really room in the narrow access tube for Onn to sidle closer to Cornwall, who in any event says to Nikolai, "No, it's all right, Nikolai. You go with them. It'll be all right. You'll see your mother aboard ship." He smiles wearily at Onn and says, "No, I'm single and live alone. I have no family here on Novy Rostov. Marala - Mrs. Gromov - and I don't share living quarters, and that's how family units were determined under the lottery."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 21 Apr 2020 at 09:42 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia sighs. So according to these rules, if a woman has been separated from her husband, they're not considered a family. She'd complain about the lousy parameters for this lottery, but what's the point? Wouldn't do any purpose except add to the misery. It's not as if anyone here had anything to do with it.

Well, maybe Rangin... Glancing back at him, she shakes her head in doubt. He was pretty much against the arbitrariness of the lottery earlier. Seems unlikely he'd introduce a way of culling people that includes something so old-fashioned and culturally outdated.

I'm guessing they'd need an actual marriage license to appeal this dumbass decision. Meanwhile this old 'friend of the family' seems so resigned, he's given up already. Doesn't seem very willing...

After a few seconds she stares first at Booker, then Nikolai. Just how is Book gonna pull this off? What's he willing to do?

"You're more than welcome to see the Yorktown, as far as I'm concerned," she says to the boy, her heart suddenly thumping. "But let's get going. This painting's not gonna deliver itself, and the faster we get there, the more time you'll... you'll have."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham tries to look confident when Nia glances at him, but the most he probably manages is "resolved, but not necessarily that confident...."

"You heard our shuttle's captain," Graham says to Nikolai, forcing a little smile. "Prepare to board."

He nods to Cornwall. "Thanks for looking out for him."

He leans in toward Nia. "Last loose end," he whispers. "What to do with Hutchinson."

"May I ask what you passed on your way here, Mr. Cornwall - any rooms that could be secured along the way, by any chance?"

Registered
    Jan 2018

With little left to do but wait for Graham and Lt. Onn to sort out what they are doing, Rangin sits back and idly looks through the lottery list, his curiosity piqued.

How did Lt Camden fare and what about that rich guy who was trying to bribe anyone, what was his name, Walter Harris? Rangin hadn't paid that much attention at the time and he is only looking up because of his insistence on trying to bribe everyone.

Registered
    Apr 2015

"Yeah," Nia murmurs, nodding at Booker. "Once you make sure he's secured, I'll gladly take us outta here. I guess you might contact the officer searching for him, let her know she was on the right track? Or maybe do that after we leave. She might want her prize, and I'd rather save space for, um, others."

After a hesitation, she continues. "To be honest, I hate leaving anyone whose face I've seen to this fate, but..." Nia's head tilts in Hutchinson's direction, and her voice darkens. "Well, I never really saw his face, did I?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 28 Apr 2020 at 11:14 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Tentatively, but with an encouraging nod from Cornwall, Nikolai comes forward and takes Graham's hand. He smiles up at the Security officer.

Cornwall says to Graham, "I suppose so. What sort of room did you mean?" Dr. Vasilyev also looks curious.

Rangin sees that Lt. Camden was not selected in the lottery; Walter Harris was.

Ens. Russell, still holding his phaser on the fugitive, says to Graham, "We're bringing Hutchinson, aren't we, sir, or calling the Yorktown for his beamup? There is a warrant for his arrest."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham returns Nikolai's smile and his hand a little squeeze.

He grunts, turning to Nia. "Yeah, we'll see..."

"Noted, stand by, Russell."

"I was hoping for a place to lock this Hutchinson up temporarily...assuming we're not overruled and need to take him into custody ourselves, he says to Cornwall.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Cornwall thinks a moment, and says, "Yes, I think there may be a place not far away. May I take you there?"

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia shrugs in response to Russell's remark. "Paul Hutchinson has a warrant out for him. This woman doesn't. Way I figure it, even if what he or she claims is true..."

She bends slightly to aim her flat stare at the prisoner. "Well, you fled the law, created an entirely new identity, then came here to forge a life as a Novy Rostov resident. Like the other colonists, you were put on the lottery list. And, like thousands of other unfortunate colonists, you weren't chosen. It’s a shame, but no one should get special dispensation for being a murderer."

Straightening, Nia faces Russell again. "Let's treat this... person the way she wanted to be treated: like a Novy Rostov citizen. It was a gamble--she rolled the dice and got snake eyes. End of story....at least, in my opinion. That decision is above my pay grade. So, we'll see."

She eyes Booker questioningly. Does he think she's being too cold-blooded? Other than biologically, that is?
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 12 May 2020 at 10:07 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Russell nods. "I think we should inform the Captain."

Registered
    Apr 2015

"A good suggestion," Nia says in a clipped but professional tone, then tilts her head toward Booker. "I'm sure the mission commander here will weigh our ideas and make the best decision."

Meanwhile, she doesn't want to wait for Hutchinson to be dealt with; she'll feel a lot less antsy once they get Nikolai the hell outta here. Turning to the boy, she shares a playful grin and gestures toward the shuttle hatch. "All right then, sir. How'dya like to hop in and take the copilot's seat?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Sure, thanks!" says Nikolai. "Is that OK?" he asks Graham.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Sitting in the back of the shuttle, there is now little to occupy Rangin while he sits and waits. Having looked up those people that the Captain is concerned about, he now knows their respective fates.

He jots a brief note to Lt. Camden, about the person she is looking for, but holds off for the moment. It's not his place to do something about it yet.

Instead he thinks back to the USS Yorktown and to those on board, wondering what they are up to. Among those is Kylah and Rangin gently bangs the back of his head against the wall behind him. Did she go through with whatever plan she had intentions on?

Well with nothing to do here and forewarned is fore-armed, time to see what she is doing. Hopefully she can tell him what the latest situation is from her comms panel.
    TO: KYLAH: Hello, is there any change or update on the latest colony situation. -- RANGIN
    He knows he could go to the Comms desk, but if someone else is there, he won't find out as much.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin receives an immediate response: By order of the First Officer, the person to whom you sent a text is currently confined to quarters and unable to receive or send any communications. THALEN, Communications Officer, USS Yorktown, NCC-1717.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham smiles--in this case, reflexively and sincerely, if only for the briefest moment before the gravity of the situation reasserts itself.

"Of course it is, Nikolai," he responds to the boy.

"Good counsel, ensign, lieutenant," he adds with a nod to both Nia and Russell.

"Let's take a step into the hallway so I can hail Yorktown. Please bear with me, Mr. Cornwall. Doctor - can you join us?" he adds over his shoulder.

Assuming no interruption, he takes out his communicator and hails Yorktown. "Graham to Yorktown. We have a...ah, thorny question here."

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin blinks at the automated response. Then blinks again, as if in doing so the message might change.

When it doesn't, he begins to wonder just what exactly Kylah did to get herself into trouble over this time that Vargas himself has come down from on high and locked her away in her own quarters and probably for her own safety.

He holds his head in his hands, contemplating that what ever she did, it looks like it finally went too far. Part of him wonders if there is anything at all that he can do, that anyone can do to help, while another thinks he should just stay as far away as possible.

And there is little he can do from a shuttle landed on a colony about to be wiped from the face of the universe. The fact they are taking so long outside despite the fact the painting is on board is only beginning to add to Rangin's frustration and worry that something less than honest is going odd.

Probably around White/Hutchinson.

"What is taking so long?" he mutters to himself, but probably loud enough for Garcia to hear. He stands up to look out the shuttle door and see what the situation is. Anything to distract him from what is happening on the USS Yorktown

Registered
    Apr 2015

Seeing that Booker will be accompanied by a couple of crew members, Nia unconsciously nods in approval. She wouldn't trust Hutchinson as far as she can throw him.

She beckons Nikolai and starts up the hatch ramp. Since Rangin's right at the shuttle entrance, she gives him a friendly smile and a mute hey, bub, you mind getting out of my way? toss of her head.

Slipping past--the Coridanite doesn't take up much room, and she's pretty limber anyway--Nia slides easily into her seat. She glances behind her at her newest crew mate. "Thanks for the heads-up before from that scan, Dr. Bennett."

Her focus returns to Nikolai, just to make sure he's able to make his way onboard. "Right here," she says, patting the copilot's seat invitingly.

While watching the kid, she can't help thinking of his mother. In fact, she can and should do more than just think, and thus whips out her communicator to type a rushed text to Marala.

FYI, am at landing pad about to be joined on shuttle by a young boy. Is your location the same, everything copacetic? -- NIA

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Bennett says to Onn with a nod, "Certainly, Lieutenant."

He and Graham walk a few steps down the access tube. "This is the Captain," the Yorktown's Assistant Chief of Security hears over his communicator from the starship high above. "Report, Mr. Graham."

Rangin sees Hutchinson still kneeling just outside the shuttle, with Russell covering him with a phaser from the doorway. Dr. Vasilyev is standing nearby, arms crossed, looking grumpy. Mr. Cornwall is beside him, waiting more patiently. Graham and Dr. Bennett are a little further away, out of earshot.

Nikolai Gromov gingerly sits in the copilot's seat with a distinct sense of awe, and then grins happily at Onn. "Wow, this is great!" he says. He bounces a little in the chair and starts looking over the control console. Onn has no reply from his mother.

Graham and Dr. Bennett now notice crowd noise indistinctly, coming from much farther down the access tube.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 23 May 2020 at 01:02 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

"Dr. Bennett--you're the expert on how certain we can be this person here is Hutchinson or not. Feel free to weigh in," he says quickly, before responding to the captain.

"Captain, we have a--woman, at least visually, claiming to be the fugitive Hutchinson. And, ah, demanding to be taken into custody. Whoever it is, their preferences aren't my primary concern, but--if it is the fugitive, I am not sure what protocol governs a situation like this. Dr. Bennett is standing by to advise on how certain we can be it's, ah, him--and he's already confirmed anomalous readings, or I would have just written it off as a bluff, ma'am."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Energy drained from her, along with--or possibly through--the tears now damp on her pillow, Kylah slowly quiets herself. A last choked sob, a few hiccups, a couple of ragged, halting breaths, and at last her crying jag is through.

She pushes against the bed until she rolls onto her side, one arm covering her sore, swollen eyes. They are raw, and just drying them with the back of her hand causes her to wince. Even breathing requires effort with her stuffed nose.

Buckets of tears and none of them of any use. Kylah moans softly when the truth hits her: yet again she forgot this most basic fact of being an Elasian woman. Even without their traditional knives, women are equipped with weapons, biological ones--their tears.

Why did she not once think of using them against one of the multiple men who exerted control over her? From Security officers to Carlos Alvarez, she could have somehow fallen against them, pleading for sympathy while her tears did the rest. They would have done anything she asked.

How could she have failed when these tears are literally the only advantage she possesses? It is a tactic she has never used--earlier she did consider it with Lt. Ferguson, but she found the thought of his becoming besotted with her too repellent. She should have realized such petty excuses have become luxuries. The stakes are too high.

True, she might not have the full power of a pure-blooded Elasian woman. She is only a half-breed, cursed with human blood--a heritage that might work against her otherwise Elasian biology. But these doubts should not have stopped her. There was nothing else she could to but try. Now that she is trapped and alone, now that she has lost even that slim opportunity, what will become of the people whose lives were entrusted to her?

This is fruitless. She squeezes her eyes shut against these recriminations. Perhaps, if she could just rid herself of the chaotic fear and anger that tie her in knots, some subconscious strategy could sneak its way toward the front of her mind.

Kylah turns onto her back now, staring at the ceiling. It is as empty as her body feels. So tired. Exhausted. Breathing deeply now, she defends against the waves of sleep that threaten to tug her into their seductive undertow, and focuses on clearing her mind of all the noisy self-doubt. Think, she begs soundlessly. Just think.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin groans inwardly at Lt. Onn's actions, but still moves politely to one side to let her and the child past. Rangin can't return her forced bonhomie. Nikoai's not on the lottery list, but then why would that stop Graham from breaking rules to do what he likes. Looking outside, nothing has really changed and time is wasting.

Between the feeling of ennui being generated from those outside and the sound of the Nikolai playing inside, he can't stand to sit around waiting for Graham to fumble his way to a decision, one he has obviously pulled Lt Onn into the middle of.

He wants to be doing something useful and Rangin's mind can't help but drift back to the USS Yorktown. He could find out of there were any last minute changes to the lottery from Mr Doskhumbetov, if they had managed to stretch the LS any further, and just what the hell Kylah had gotten herself into.

His mind flashes back to the few minutes before the shuttle had departed, her terror and fear, her lying to cover something up, the fact she lied about Lt. Ferguson. Rangin has to settle for metaphorically shaking her by the shoulders and shouting at her for what she had done and what didn't she tell him, even while remaining calm and poised in the shuttle for at least one emergency to go down. After all, it's Graham, he'll do something to fuck up.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia maintains her untroubled expression while returning the communicator to her belt. She realizes she can't recall whether she asked Marala to maintain radio silence. That might explain her lack of reply. No sense worrying about that now.

"You look as psyched as I was at your age," she says to Nikolai. "Couldn't wait to get on board one of our airships." With a few gestures she encourages the boy to adjust the seat so he's able to see out the viewscreen without craning his neck. And he'll be able to punch a few buttons on the secondary nav panel... Anything harmless but useful enough to be satisfying to an enthusiastic kid.

"Y'know, I realize I don't know if you've been here all your life. Is this your first time going off-planet?" She flicks her glance out toward the access panel, just to keep an eye on whatever's going on outside, before returning to Nikolai. "Do you... how much did your mom and Mr. Cornwall tell you about what's going on now?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Bennett says, "With a full scan of this person's DNA and a comparison to the Starfleet personnel database, I can probably confirm whether or not it's Hutchinson, depending on the kind of identity swap. It may take awhile, though."

There is a brief silence as Capt. Singh thinks. "Very well, Doctor. Proceed with the scan. Mr. Thalen will send you the original DNA profile. If it's really Hutchinson, bring him, uh, her with you, or we can beam her up directly. There's a valid arrest warrant and we have a duty to execute it, if we can."

Nikolai is delighted to adjust his seat and then play around with the controls (rendered ineffective by the kill switch that Onn presses first). He says, "Yes, I was born here. I went up into orbit once with Mom and a friend of hers, but that was just for a couple of minutes. It was awhile ago and I don't remember it all that well." He turns serious. "They told me one of the stars here is going to kind of explode, and if we can get away we should. You're going to try to bring me up to your ship where I can see Mom and be with her, and then we can avoid the star blast thing, but it's kind of secret, I guess...?"

Graham and Dr. Bennett hear the noises down the access tube getting a little louder. Cornwall turns and looks in that direction.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham nods to the doctor at the Captain's order. Before signing off, he adds "Captain, I'm guessing somehow word has gotten out we're here. Hearing some commotion approaching. Be advised we may need to evac fast. Investigating now."

"Ni - Lt. Onn, heat her up, please," Graham says loudly enough to be heard. "We may need to dust off fast."

Graham has absolutely zero hesitation to presume the worst, given how the day has been going...say, 100 desperate colonists. armed with fists, knives, and clubs, if not worse....

"Stay focused on your man...er, whatever," he says to Russell before joining Cornwall to look down the tube.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Capt. Singh replies, "Understood, Mr. Graham. Good luck. Yorktown out."

Dr. Bennett nods, turns, takes a few steps back and scans the kneeling Hutchinson more thoroughly with his medical tricorder. Then he climbs back into the shuttle, takes his seat and begins work.

"Aye, sir," Russell says. Graham knows he's dependable.

Graham and Cornwall can hear the noises down the access tube getting louder still. It sounds like a group of at least a half-dozen angry people, maybe more. Their speech is still indistinct. Cornwall says, "Perhaps you were seen as you circled overhead before landing...?"

Registered
    Jan 2018

The call from Graham snaps Rangin from his thoughts, if only to wish he is right next to Kylah no matter where she is, because it's still better than being caught by an angry mob with one sole purpose: trying to stay alive. His image of her flashes through his mind, even if only because this would be the sort of situation that Kylah would find herself in.

He checks to make sure the painting and the phaser are secure given the chances of a fast dust-off are high. If Graham is to give the order to evacuate everyone there, then Rangin wouldn't actually mind, if only because that mob is likely to trample everyone. Phaser fire would not help if they get swamped. It would be about as useful as a recital from Kylah's zither, which would have the added bonus of being pleasant to listen to, kill less people and at least have Kylah here. Like that last time they were together on the Sakathian Space Station.

Rangin shakes his head. There is a mob coming, he is trapped in a confined space and all he can think about is Kylah. What is wrong with him, other than a desire to find out just what has happened to her. Why had Vargas ordered her lockdown and isolation, keeping her incommunicado? Rangin wishes he could personally connect to her. If only there is another way to get in contact; Think, dammit.

"Ma'am?" he calls out to Lt. Onn hoping for some clarity or purpose. It's her shuttle, so her orders, although the fact her co-pilot is currently underage doesn't help.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia has just finished nodding sympathetically at Nikolai, intending to commiserate with his situation--her own planet is undergoing a cruelly slow-motion version of this tragedy.

Then she spies Cornwall's quick turn of the head, followed almost immediately by Booker's attention being diverted to the same direction: the other end of the access tube.

Suspicions aroused, Nia gets confirmation of her worries through Book's order. Shit. Company's coming.

She won't report back. He might not hear her anyway, and she doesn't want to scare the little boy dwarfed by the copilot's seat. Instead she performs the most familiar tasks she knows, hands and fingers using her control panel to prepare for getting the hell off this pathetically doomed rock.

"Short trip, Bennett," she murmurs when the doctor returns. She catches Rangin's question--which sounds like a gentle nudge into action--and nods. "I heard, thanks, Ensign. Got any suggestions here? Actually... wait a sec... Bennett?" Nia jerks her head at Rangin. "Rangin here's an expert xenobiologist. Maybe on the ship, you two could help that detective determine just who or what tech source could've helped Hutchinson with such a wholesale DNA-level identity swap? I dunno, just spitballing."

Basically, anything to get the other officers' minds off just how badly they're bungling what should've been a thirty-minute mission--and more important, the fact that Nikolai is quite obviously being rescued.

She shoots her gaze back at her own work. Once her rote arm-hand-finger choreography has completed on her own side of the shuttle's control panels, Nia darts a look in front of Nikolai. She needs to double-check the already programmed return course, and for prudence's sake she'd better warm up the shuttle's defenses that hopefully won't be needed.

After only a second's hesitation, she leans to the kid conspiratorially. "Time for some relief copilot duty, officer. We have to make sure we're ready to take off and protect ourselves. Book--that is, Lt. Graham'll be responsible for any real weapon usage, but getting things prepped will speed things up for him considerably. Hit the controls where I tell you, would you?"

If Nikolai agrees, she'll easily rattle off the instructions and make sure he performs them correctly.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 31 May 2020 at 03:15 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin hears Lt. Onn’s reply while she starts to go through her take-off checklist. He nods, what had happened to Hutchinson is something he would be curious about.

“If you wouldn’t mind Dr. Bennett, I’d be interested in finding out. I can’t help you at the moment, however…” Looking at Dr Bennett working on his tricorder nudges Rangin into something he can do usefully. Using a tricorder to see how many people are in the approaching mob. Just like he went looking for Kylah on Anubis.

Focus, will you? he chides himself under his breath, as he finds himself thinking back to her. He tries to relax, clear his mind and let his fingers press the buttons automatically. It’s something he can do blindfolded if he needs to, allowing him to wait for the tricorder to come back with a reading so he can focus on another matter.

Just... why is that other matter Kylah?

Registered
    May 2013

Graham attempts to position himself to take a peek down the access tube.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nikolai's eyes are big as saucers, but he grins and follows Onn's instructions closely, and carefully hits the buttons he should, making only one mistake that she is able to immediately correct. Onn knows, of course, that having a juvenile who is not qualified Starfleet personnel operate a shuttlecraft's controls, even on the ground and under close supervision, is very much against regulations.

Rangin confirms that both his phaser and the priceless Van Gogh painting, in its rugged carrying case, are secure aboard the shuttle.

Dr. Bennett glances up from his medical tricorder, briefly distracted, and says a little brusquely, "Thanks, but I don't think I need anyone's help with this. Just give me a little more time...." Then he pauses thoughtfully, looks up again and says, "Actually, let me share these readings with you, Mr. Rangin. If you can find any telltale molecular trace resonances or mitochondrial echoes that suggest the identity swap was done by some known civilization, it might be useful."

Ens. Serowe, seated a few seats back, coughs and says, "Or maybe we could just ask Hutchinson...?"

Graham can see nothing down the ridged tunnel of the access tube, which only gives him a line of sight of perhaps twenty meters, but can tell the group is getting even closer.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia hears the chatter behind her but focuses on Nikolai. "Excellent job! You just might have a future here!" She's instantly sobered by the knowledge that yes, this shuttle will indeed ensure his future.

"Um... now. Just so there's less shuffling around once everyone else returns, can you hop on back to keep watch over the rear of the shuttle? Lt. Graham can take over your spot up here, and we'll need someone with your smaller size to help get as many folks in as possible. "

The snark from Bennett and Serowe needs to be addressed. Well, it doesn't need it, but Nia wants to release the valve on her growing tension.

"With respect, Doctor, is it really likely Hutchinson traveled to some unknown civilization, managed to make First Contact on his own and somehow found the one place that could swap out his motherfu--" Dial it back, Nikolai's right here. "--His frickin' DNA? Tracing his route will probably best be done in concert with the investigator, back on the ship. And Rangin's got an analytical scientific mind that seems just the thing."

She swivels further to glance at the other Ensign--the one who, as far as she can tell, has done jack-shit on this mission, and then returns to triple-check Nikolai's 'work' at Nav.

"Yes, Serowe, you're absolutely right. We can definitely ask Hutchinson. In my experience, though, murderers aren't known for their honesty." After a stone-faced look at the man in Russell's custody, Nia shakes her head. "He only revealed his ID to get off this planet. Once he's safely away..." Since we're letting his scheme work, for fuck's sake... "...He has no reason to say another word. If he has a lawyer, he definitely won't speak."

She exhales, allowing for a few seconds of thought. "And by the way... I've noticed we've been mixed up in how to refer to this prisoner. I think we should remember that Paul Hutchinson was, and is, a man. We're not talking about a woman who's had corrective surgery to match her gender. This is a coward who escaped justice by putting on a highly elaborate costume. Doesn't make him a her. Our pretending it does seems like an insult to women who centuries ago had to fight to be recognized by their true identity. Let's not forget that."

On Sidonia such women were--still are, as far as Nia knows--forced to act sexually as men, repugnant as the act may have been for them; the same was true for their male counterparts. The alternative was imprisonment or outright death. Many Federation planets are not that much better. She knows the grim history of those who used to be called trans-women or -men on Earth.

Ugly history lesson over, Nia turns to see what Booker's doing. Alarmed, she sits up straighter. Why is he moving closer to what might be a dangerous situation? Get back on this shuttle, Book, please!

Registered
    May 2013

Graham curses under his breath and turns back toward the shuttle.

"All right, Dr. Vasilyev, Mr. Cornwall, I'm worried we may have over-stayed our welcome. I think it's time to go..."

If we can figure out what to do with alleged Hutchinson...

Graham rubs his forehead. "Mr. Cornwall, according to our records you're on the evac list, I honestly don't know what the protocols are, but you're right here, if you'd like to hitch a ride, I'll take responsibility."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin's science tricorder beeps as a file is downloaded to it. Dr. Bennett is now completely focused on his own medical tricorder.

Cornwall says to Graham, "Andrei - Dr. Vasilyev - and I are both on the evacuation list, as it happens. I expected we'd return to our respective quarters to be beamed up, but...." He glances down the access tube and frowns. "Under the circumstances, I think coming with you might be best."

The museum director looks conflicted for a moment, but then nods. "I agree. If you're willing, Lieutenant, I'd like to come along with you too."

It looks to Onn like Serowe was about to say something else, but then thinks better of it. He clams up.

Garcia glances at Serowe, then mutters to him, just loud enough for Onn to hear as well, "The Captain said we were only supposed to bring back the painting."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia strains to hear whatever she can of the conversation outside--which isn't much, given the sound of the shuttle's engines. But the obvious approaching crowd and Booker's gestures make the invitations clear.

All of which helps when she catches Garcia's comment to Serowe. Better nip this one in the bud.

"Damn. It's as I thought," she says in a serious but relatively conversational tone to the crew within the shuttle. "That access tube's about to be full of unhappy colonists. Lt. Graham's instincts seem to be to make sure those on the lottery list aren't endangered. And we already know the prisoner's coming along. That'd just leave..."

Nia tilts her head toward Nikolai, who hopefully isn't paying that much attention. "Lucky I asked him in here to distract from that Hutchinson mess. Now I don't think the Captain'd want a kid to get trampled in the hysteria, and I'm sure Lt. Graham will agree."

She hesitates, then, returning to stare at the men outside, continues to sound as casual as possible while she chooses her remarks carefully. "Protocol on the ship's been tightened about stuff like that. I think it was 'cause of that mission on OCIII some months back. Wasn't leaving someone vulnerable to their own devices just one of the problematic decisions down there? Ensign Kylah, wasn't it? Couple of you were on that mission, you probably remember better than me. Anyway, I figure we don't want to repeat any mistakes like that."

Nia is not-so-obliquely referring to the events from Some Other Side of Paradise during Kylah's chase of Mrs. Hsu when she was purposely left to face the murder accomplice alone, as Kylah explains here to Graham, and as subsequently admitted by the various officers in question during Graham's debriefing in posts #3991, #3995 and #4000, among others. Garcia was directly involved, although the only one not demoted for that incident. Coincidentally, Russell was also among the asshats during that mission.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Garcia reddens and says directly to Onn, a little sharply, "We could always call for beamup of whoever we needed to, ma'am. The Captain's orders as to the shuttle were very clear."

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin nods as the data is ready for him to look at. It certainly is something that should keep his mind busy over the next few hours at least, it's unlikely he is going to find anything immediately.

Listening to the conversation he sighs at the stiff-necked approach of his colleagues. "Sir," he addresses generally, "I take it you have yet to be on a mission where it goes horribly wrong and what the Captain ordered is no longer applicable due to reasons. Besides, it's not our call, it's the decision for Lt. Graham to make. That's why he is in charge." The words stick slightly in Rangin's throat, is he now defending Graham or just pointing out the obvious. "Besides, the transporters are probably fully occupied with getting everyone up from the colony on a very tight scheduled without this particular spanner thrown into the works."

Rangin shrugs, it's Graham's call and there is little he can say or do that would sway him either way. More importantly, he can now use his tricorder to get a more accurate reading. He turns and scans down the access tube to see how many are coming and what weaponry they may have bought with them. If the guards had phasers, then others might as well.

+ Reply to thread