+ Reply to thread
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,050 of 2466

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #6: "Marala"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Yes," replies the museum director. "There are two other people here that I didn't expect to see, but we have the painting and all is well, for the moment, at least. I encourage you to land as quickly as possible, though, as there have been disturbances throughout the colony and it might not remain safe here indefinitely."

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin looks across the cabin and suddenly realises that there is someone here who should be really useful in this situation.

"Sir?" he asks Lt. Garcia, "do you have any of the details for comms with the Curator and what is supposed to be happening with this switch?" There is a sudden feeling of relief that it isn't Kylah, because Rangin doubted she would be prepared for this situation given what else was obviously playing on her mind.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia scowls. That's an oddly vague answer from the museum director. With a sidelong glance at Booker, she speaks up. "Excuse me, Dr. Vasilyev, this is Lt. Onn, pilot of the Kaku. I'd like to land ASAP too, but we need to know the names and positions of these extra people who just 'showed up.'"

She hears Rangin's request to Lt. Garcia. Oh grief, Lt. Garcia, of course! Only the best cryptologist and hacker we've got.

Should've thought of that herself instead of whining to Vargas. Actually, Garcia should've thought of it and volunteered his advice. Her lips twist in thought. She remembers his getting dressed down for whatever-the-hell happened on OCIII. Maybe he's insecure?

One thing's for sure: Rangin's the crew's MVP so far. She tosses him a quick smile of gratitude before returning in wait for the museum director's response.

Registered
    Mar 2012

The nurse leaves--Kylah tries not to resent her refusal, as she was only acting as ordered. But Kylah clenches her fists even harder. “Relax,” she scoffs. She’s forgotten the meaning of the word.

She is afraid to contact Mrs. Soeryadjaya. But perhaps she made the lottery list. While it would mean all of Kylah's agonizing decisions, her failure to perform her duties, and most especially the sickening deal with Lt. Ferguson... all would have been for nothing.

Even so, Kylah prays they are on the chosen list. They would not have to hide, Kylah could lead them to her quarters or wherever they were assigned, all without being challenged.

How can she access the data? Velir, she thinks immediately. He worked with the lottery. But he is on a mission. Possibly dangerous, if the colony is in chaos as she would expect it to be under such circumstances. Velir, Lt. Graham, whoever else is in the crew... what are they facing?What should she be facing, if she had done as ordered?

Please let them all be safe.

She bows her head, her hair forming a curtain of jet-black curling strands to hide her face. Her muscles ache terribly, and she lifts a hand to massage her shoulder and collarbone. Dr. Bucci was right, of course. Kylah is under extraordinary pressure. And she doubts it will end any time soon.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Lt. Garcia says, "I wasn't told any particular comm details for making contact with the museum director. He was just supposed to meet us at the landing pad when we landed, and turn over the painting to us."

The Sickbay examination room door opens after a short time and Ens. Carlos Alvarez, the Medical research tech whom Kylah had earlier met, enters with a tray and a big smile. He sets the tray down on the table beside the biobed and makes a small bow. "Hello, Mr. Kylah. I heard you were here and enjoying the charms of Chez Villa, so I took it upon myself to bring you your food."

Dr. Vasilyev says, "Well, there's me, a guard from the museum, my old friend Jeremy Cornwall, and a younger gentleman named...." You hear a few muted words, and he concludes, "...Nikolai Gromov." Graham knows that Cornwall is Marala's elderly, retired-Starfleet friend and occasional babysitter.

See post 1142 and after.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 25 Feb 2020 at 10:16 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

The only name Nia hears--really, truly hears--is 'Nikolai.' It's common in this particular Terran subculture; she spent a few pleasant weeks with a Nikolai Rosenov, one of her instructors back at the Academy.

But now, in this situation, it'd be one helluva coincidence if this isn't Marala's kid. He sounds young enough. Trouble is, she can't recall Marala's surname.

Her gaze is now riveted on Booker's. She's dying to ask him the questions battering her mind. Is this the boy? Who's the guy with him, are they together? Is it part of your plan?

After a second, another thought strikes her. She's been assuming the two armed individuals are the Director and his guard. But maybe she's wrong. Maybe...

Nia swallows and, after all these thoughts race through her, crisply acknowledges the message from Vasilyev with a generic reply: "Thank you, sir. We'll see you shortly."

What worries her is that Book will have no time to brief her. If something's about to go down, will the other two Security officers--not to mention the museum guard--engage and escalate things?

Book is smart. He must have everything under control. But if there's anything she can do to distract someone--if it's needed--she'll do it. She suddenly wishes Kylah were here; the girl's a danger magnet but Nia's never seen anyone as apt to capture attention, good and bad.

For now, all she can do is say and do nothing to indicate that the boy is significant. She watches Booker carefully. "I'm ready to land on your order, Lt Graham, if you're satisfied it's safe."

Registered
    Mar 2012

When the door opens, Kylah looks up and tucks her unruly hair behind her ears. The familiar sight of Ens. Alvarez surprises her. As do his words, at least temporarily.

"Chez villa?" she wonders as she watches him set the tray down. "That means 'at the home of a house' in two Earth languages. I do not understand what--"

Then the light dawns, and--how is it possible on this wretched, cursed day?--she finds herself smiling. "Oh, of course! You mean Dr. Villa. I am sorry. I may be fluent in many languages, but humor is harder to translate. It is why people think me so... somber."

It would be more truthful to say that she is considered either somber or a siren. Needless to say, she does not voice this.

Such a friendly face helps soothe Kylah's tense muscles, and even some of her white-hot desperation melts a few degrees. Hurriedly she tries to recall her previous interaction with Mr. Alvarez. It was at the Captain's dinner, she knows that. All the wine she imbibed helped erase her memories of much of the evening. Still, at least one part of their conversation leaps to mind.

"You just called me 'Mister,'" she says, taking a napkin from the tray and placing it delicately on her lap. She looks up from the food-laden tray to his pleasant face. "But I believe that when we met the other night, we agreed to use first names. Whom may I thank for the kindness of bringing me a meal? Shall it be Ensign Alvarez, or Carlos?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Why are there two armed people down there?" Dr. Bennett asks from one seat back in the shuttle. "That's not what we should be expecting."

Alvarez smiles a little shyly. "You're right, Kylah. Sorry. Please, call me Carlos. And, uh... I hope the food is to your liking." He gestures to the room's only chair. "OK if I sit down and keep you company?"

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham closes his eyes for a moment and grimaces. "It's safe, Nia...for us," he says softly. "Nikolai is..." he raises his eyes and points a finger up as if toward the Yorktown.

"Take us in, Lieutenant," he says, intending everyone to hear.

He turns in his seat. "Based on the museum director's response, I don't expect these folks to pose a threat--but stay frosty. There have apparently been disturbances around the colony."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Bennett frowns, says "Hmmph" and crosses his arms.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin hears the names over the comms and checks them against the lottery results. He wonders if either of the two are on it.

At some level, Nikolai's surname rings a bell, but better to check first and ask about it later.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Jeremy Cornwall is on the lottery list; Nikolai Gromov is not.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia nods as she maneuvers the shuttle downwards toward the landing pad.

As they approach she takes a deep breath. "Regarding that," she murmurs to Booker, averting her eyes briefly to the ship above. "If you need me to do anything--stay here, go out and distract someone, whatever--tell me ASAP. Hope you know by now this isn't a solo flight, Lieutenant."

Registered
    Mar 2012

When Mr. Alvarez asks to sit with her, Kylah's first reaction--as usual--is wariness. Is he just here to keep watch on her, under Dr. Bucci's orders? She does not want to think so. She likes the energy he brings along with him. Friendly, modest, even shy.

The truth is that Kylah has not met many men who act shyly with her; in her experience, the seemingly reticent ones have often assumed that her Elasian nature gave them liberty to act on impulses that would have been better kept to themselves.

Ensign Alvarez... Carlos... is an exception. At least, he appears to be. Kylah could determine his motive if she reached out to his emotions, but breaching someone's privacy is no way for a friendship to begin.

Also she is just too wretchedly tired to expend the effort.

"Yes, please. I would like the company." She examines the plate of fruit and small dish of thick yogurt with the rich, creamy denseness of custard. "And this looks wonderful. It is just what I wanted."

Two lies in under thirty seconds. At some point, perhaps when she is placed in the brig and has nothing else to do, she will try to calculate just how many times she lied in one day. This adventure might eclipse her attempt to go AWOL on Anubis.

She picks up a grape and bites it in half. The burst of juicy, tart sweetness brings on a rush of hunger that she did not even realize was lurking underneath her anxiety. Popping the rest into her mouth, she again smiles genuinely. "It is delicious. And this does not seem replicated." Her fingers freeze on their way to transporting another grape to her lips. "They are not wasting resources on me, I hope?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Alvarez chuckles. He seems to be a little more confident now. He asks, "How could healthy food ever be wasted on you, Kylah?"

Onn skillfully brings the shuttlecraft down onto the landing pad, slowing it to a halt. Within seconds of planetfall, the colony's flexible access tube is extending towards the Kaku's tripartite portside door. The tube latches on with a gentle thunk. In moments, exterior telltales show there is now equalized pressure between the shuttle's interior and the access tube.

There are two small viewports in the upper doors through which to look into the access tube, if anyone wishes. Sensors still indicate that four people await the landing party.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...path-prefix=en

Registered
    Jan 2018

"Cornwall is on the list. Gromov is not so lucky," Rangin reads out from the cross check on the lottery.

Gromov must be a relative of Marala, Rangin surmises. So, of course, he will not be on the list. But why is he meeting us here, out of the blue? There is no real reason for that is there?

Then again, if it is something to do with Marala, it would be something to do with Graham. And he is capable of anything as Rangin is well aware. He wonders if Lt. Onn is also part of this, but this has all sorts of horrible written all over it, as if they are there for more than just the painting.

But then, do the others on the shuttle know that, and how would Graham react if he mentions it? Rangin decides on a more cautious approach for the moment. Besides, if Graham is doing something illegal, Rangin will just have to report it to the correct authority. For now, wait and see will suffice.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah drops her gaze from the young man. An accurate, immediate response to Carlos Alvarez's light-hearted question would be: Because I do not deserve healthy food. Especially now, when I should starve to make sure there is enough for the two people I have smuggled onboard.

Instead, she lifts her shoulders in a weak shrug. "I just... I think the best resources should be saved for the refugees. They will be so lost. Bereft. We should and will be sacrificing much to accommodate them."

Choosing another fruit easily eaten with her fingers--more akin to the Elasian table manners she still prefers--Kylah dips a strawberry in the yogurt and closes her eyes for a second or two, enjoying the combination. Opposites do attract after all, at least in food.

Daintily sucking the berry juice from her fingertips, she focuses her brightened gaze on Carlos. "I have not had an appetite in... a very long while. I am very grateful to you. And Dr. Bucci, of course. He is a... a complicated man, I think. What is he like to work for? I mean with," she corrects hastily.

Then she shakes her head, bringing herself back to the grim reality they are all facing. "Oh, I am probably wasting your time. Are you sure I am not keeping you from your work? I hope the emergency on the planet is not resulting in violent injuries... or worse. Actually, I do not even know if the evacuation has started."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia announces the obvious to everyone--they've landed at their destination. She awaits Booker's response, either to her private question earlier or to the fact that the crew is ready to serve however the heck he wants them to.

When Rangin pipes up with his announcement, she gives him another grateful nod, suspecting Book won't be as forthcoming when his mind is so preoccupied. Not that he'd be inclined to compliment the xenobiologist either way.

She still wonders who this Cornwell person is, and--now that Rangin's let them know he's one of the Chosen, so to speak--why isn't he heading off to be transported to the Yorktown?

With the shuttle safely in its position, Nia decides she'll poke her head up to look through the slit-like windows above. If Book joins her, maybe he'll have a chance to get her up to speed.

If he wants to.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Russell also appears to be checking out the lottery list on his tricorder.

Alvarez shrugs. "He's all right, I guess. I've only worked with him directly a couple of times. Smart guy - knows his stuff. Not a jerk like... well, like some people I could mention. As to my work, yeah, we're busy, but I can take a little break for now. The evacuation's started and the transporters are all humming, I guess. No injuries yet that I've heard of."

Onn looks through one of the shuttle's upper-hatch viewports and sees an older man in civilian attire and a female Museum guard approaching the shuttle through the tube. The guard is carrying what appears to be a large flat durasteel container by a handle. Behind them, a few steps back, is another old man holding the hand of an adorable little boy.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 29 Feb 2020 at 11:53 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham joins Onn looking through the viewport. "Thank you," he says quietly but with as much heart-felt-ness as he's feeling--which is a lot.

Not a lot of daylight on how to get Nikolai on the shuttle without nakedly breaking the rules. Which is OK...

Graham's come to grips with being court martialed and drummed out of Starfleet to keep his promise to Marala. There's not way I could not, he thinks...

But that's also...away from Nia. Away from a lot of hope things might be better in the future than they were in the past.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The first old man sees you peering through the viewports, walks to within a meter of the shuttle, and then waves a little self-consciously. The others stop just behind him.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah is amused by Carlos's tactful reference to someone she can only guess as Dr. Bennett. But when he finishes his comments, she jerks as if about to hop off the bed--she would, if not for the biobed's swinging arm temporarily confining her.

"The arrivals have started?" She pushes at the tray, no longer willing to waste time. "I should really be helping--can you please move this for me?"

Kylah grabs a handful of berries she does not recognize and pops them in her mouth, just in case Carlos insists she eat at least a minimum portion of the salad. "It is delicious and I am grateful, but my duty is... I have shamefully missed too much already. I would like to assist the newcomers to their quarters."

Then she stares at the young man intently, her black eyes full of hope and expectation. "I do not suppose... Carlos, do you have a way to get the list? The final lottery list?"

Registered
    Apr 2015

The sight of young Nikolai triggers a flood of hormones and memories and adrenaline and wishes, weighing down Nia's lungs so it takes a few more seconds to breathe. She stares at him with a longing she hasn't known--or at least recognized--for many, many years.

"What a beautiful boy. Marala is very lucky...." As the exhale fogs up the glass, Nia realizes how inappropriate the comment is. Lucky? As a widow, with a boy who might die on a planet nearly at its death?

Immediately she wipes the condensation away as if erasing the words she shouldn't have uttered. When she recovers, she sees the museum director and lifts her own hand in an equally weak wave.

To Booker, she whispers: "Thank me when I actually accomplish something. What's your idea, here? Do you know who that guy is, with Nikolai? He gonna be a problem?"

She turns and calls to the others more sharply. "Any of you with tricorders able to identify which of the four has the second weapon? Rangin, you're the sensor expert. You got anything?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Alvarez says apologetically, "You were supposed to finish the meal, Kylah. Sorry. Let me see if I can get a copy of the lottery list - just sit tight for now, OK?" He leaves.

Russell says, "I have a tricorder," and stands.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin pulls out his tricorder as well, not only looking for the other phaser, but also looking to try and identify who the security guard is. One of them is safe, the other is not, and it would be preferable if the Museum guard there is the luckier of the pair.

"Yes ma'am, will see what I can find." Rangin also scans for the signs of the painting as well.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham puffs out his cheeks and lets out a hard breath.

"Old guy is a friend of Marala," he says quietly. "Knowing her...." it takes him a moment to bottle up memories in the current desperate context. "Knowing her I can't believe he'd want anything but the best for Nikolai. But..." He clears his throat. "Always a 'but' to worry about."

He turns to look at Nia. "Somehow, get the kid off this rock. No genius ideas. Take the fall if it comes to that."

He clears his throat again. Twice, this time. "Thank you, Mr. Rangin. You've been Johnny on the spot on this mission so far," he says a bit stiffly.

"Russell--you're primary shooter. I don't expect a problem, but take a position where light stun at wide angles, if needed, means you drag some of us back onboard and we bug out. If there's a, uh, disturbance, there may be folks who feel like they have nothing to lose. All of us do."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah draws back in resignation, responding with reflexive politeness. "Thank you, you do not need to go into any trouble for me." But by the time she finishes the door has whooshed shut.

She eyes the fruit and yogurt, and listlessly drags the fork from the tray as if raking invisible leaves. How is she going to eat all this? Why did she not simply ask for an apple or pear, or even a small bowl of soup?

With no one to watch her, she sets the fork down and eats some pieces of fruit that, according to the etiquette of Starfleet cuture--based so heavily on Terran practices--would normally be pierced by a fork. But fingers are more natural, and she uses a few larger berries and what looks like some sort of orange melon to scoop up the yogurt.

It is tasty, and she is so empty that she can feel the food filling her. But it is indulgent. She can eat when everything is settled. When her 'guests' can eat a proper meal without worrying if they will be tossed off the ship.

Brow furrowed in stubborn concentration, Kylah takes the bowl of rich, creamy yogurt and looks for a sink or commode--anything with a drain. The waste of resources is distressing, but it will be just as wasted if she eats it.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Booker's closeness is very much appreciated right now, even when Nia should solely be focusing on the objective. Objectives.

"Complimenting Rangin. You just might have some diplomacy skills after all." Her smile is wry but brief; immediately she's back to business. "Okay, so you contacted this old guy to get the kid here. But no other plan. Now I'm caught up."

She licks her lips and tries to peer farther to see the pair. Her mind is whirling with various calculations. "I know you just said nothing fancy, just grab the cargo and bail. But I'm a pilot, not a soldier. I fly around obstacles, I don't just barrel into them. So... um..." A dull flicker tries to spark into a flame, but it's not quite catching. "How close are they? I mean, Cornell or whatever his name is and Marala?"

Nia turns her head and is only a few inches from Book, which makes her... girlishly pleased, but embarrassed. This is life or death here, not first-year Academy crush time. And an idea is starting to form.

"Because," she goes on in her low whisper, "I don't know what the rules or definitions were as far as 'family' goes, for the lottery choices. But... could they say they are, uh, life partners? Even if they live apart, they'd hardly be the first bonded couple to prefer separate residences. So--since he's got on the list, could he claim Marala and Nikolai as family?"
    Last edited by choie; 03 Mar 2020 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Graham praises Rangin? That deserves a comment.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin's scan shows that the Museum security guard and the man with the little boy are both armed. His scan of the contents of the case held by the guard is consistent with that of an old painting, including wood, canvas and oil paint.

Russell says, "Aye, sir," stows his tricorder, and double-checks the stun setting on his phaser-2.

There is nothing with a drain inside the Sickbay examination room. Alvarez soon returns with a data pad, which he hands to Kylah. Its screen displays the Novy Rostov evacuation lottery results, line after line of names, some single, and many in family groups. She sees that it has a search function.

The old man closest to the shuttle door cocks an eyebrow and gestures as if to ask, Are you going to open the door?

Registered
    Mar 2012

The nearly full bowl clanks onto the tray as Kylah lets it drop from her grasp. She accepts the datapad with a murmur of distracted but genuine thanks to Carlos.

Please let her be here, please let her be here...

Visually scanning the multitude of names takes too long. She gives it up and instead taps on the search box and types--with fingers so cold they are clumsy and have turned a bluish white. After a few false starts at spelling the frustratingly unfamiliar name, Kylah manages to get it right: Soeryadjaya.

She closes her eyes for a blisteringly fast prayer. She will be on the list. This will all work out. It would be like me to have created such misery for nothing. Oh, please let it all have been for nothing!

At last she stabs the submit button and holds her breath.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Johnny on the spot...what stupid earth saying is that and what the fuck does it mean? Although from Lt. Onn's demeanour it may not be that bad, Rangin has his doubts.

"Second phaser is held by the old man. Also the security guard is not on the lucky list of winners," Rangin says as he reads out his findings, "but they do appear to have bought us a painting."

"Sir?" he calls to the front waiting to see what stupidity Graham is going to call out next.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Mrs. Soeryadjaya's name does not appear on the list.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Closing her eyes, Kylah lowers the datapad to rest on the tray. She remains silent in a fog of disappointment. Why did she even let herself think this would be so easy?

About to return the tablet to Carlos, Kylah stops and, with a small dubious frown, performs another search: Yarrow. If this too comes up empty, she will erase the search results and get back to the list's regular screen.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Mr. Yarrow also does not appear.

Alvarez is looking at her. "Bad news?" he asks.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham swallows and blinks, momentarily conscious of how close he is to Nia--and how amazed he is she gives a shit about being close, for her part.

"That's smart," he whispers. "No idea how they'd judge the claim, but regardless of anything I think he'd take a firm stand it was true..." He closes his eyes again for a moment. "Well, next step is talk to the guy before...barreling in."

He clears his throat. "Thank you, Mr. Rangin. Goddamned stupid to bring a guard who's not on the list - but the guy's day job is running a museum, not managing planetary crises, so there's that."

After a brief pause he reluctantly, and with one last glance turns from Nia, and prepares to exit the shuttle. "You know what..." he says, rubbing his chin. "Rangin, Garcia, you're with me. We'll have a chat with these folks. Russell, stand by in case there's trouble. Ditto, doctor. And Nia, you're on point to bug out if needed. And we'll go from there."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Swallowing, Kylah nods at Carlos's question and hands the pad back to him. She has hardly been opaque; there is no use pretending otherwise.

"Someone... a friend... he knows people down on the planet. They are not on the list." Her gaze falls on the bowl of fruit, which seemed so colorful and fresh only seconds ago. It might as well be rotten for all the desire she has to eat it. But she cannot escape this room if she does not.

Lifting the fork again, even more listlessly, she pokes at a blueberry and dips it into the yogurt. "Tell me something, Carlos. About yourself. Or maybe--" Kylah suddenly lifts her focus to his eyes. "What would you do, if you knew people down on the planet? Would you break rules to save them?"

Registered
    Apr 2015

Listening attentively, Nia tries not to show too much admiration for Booker. She has no idea how he's maintaining his professional demeanor under extraordinary circumstances.

"Yes sir." She heads back around to her seat, although her every instinct tells her to flee the shuttle and cradle the boy close to her, keeping him safe, as safe as a mother could. But she's supposed to be as professional as Booker is. Even more so: Nikolai's not her kid, Marala's not her ex-lover.

Back in the pilot's seat, Nia responds:"I'll keep it warm and ready to go on your say-so." She darts a glance over to Garcia and Rangin. Damn, she'd feel a lot better if one of those men was Russell. Still she nods a silent good luck in their direction.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 06 Mar 2020 at 12:42 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Garcia, Russell and Dr. Bennett all indicate their assent to Graham's orders, too.

Alvarez sighs and says, "Y'know, I've asked myself that a million times already, Kylah. It's a tough situation. Damn tough." He lowers his voice. "I already had a rich guy from the surface offer me a huge bribe to get him beamed up, but I turned him down."

The old man - Dr. Vasilyev, if it is he - is looking a bit impatient through the Kaku's doorway viewport slits.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah peers at Carlos while picking a strawberry from the bowl. "I have heard of others having received such an offer. I wonder how this person--if it is the same one--was able to identify and contact so many of our crewmates. In such a hurry, too. It must--"

She catches herself. Uncle Aldaan made it very clear that she must not ask how Mrs. Soeryadjaya learned so quickly about the imminent danger to the planet. While she suspects Carlos is referring to Mr. Harris, who made the same proposal to her and others, Kylah cannot risk inadvertently discovering anything she is not intended to know. And though Carlos did say 'him,' that could have been Mr. Yarrow. It is all very unlikely, but... so is this whole miserable tragedy.

"In truth I do not blame them," she continues softly, looking at the fruit bowl. "I suppose it is shameful to admit, but if I were in their circumstances, and had anything worth bargaining with, I would offer it for a chance to survive."

And then her face burns, probably as red as the strawberry in her fingers, because she has indeed made such a bargain.

Without lifting her gaze, she asks, "Do you--do you think that is cowardly?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Alvarez is quiet for what seems a long time. Then he says, "No. It's only natural to want to live. Some people rise to the occasion in a crisis like that, and demonstrate self-sacrifice or prove themselves heroes; others just can't or don't. But no matter how much you're trained, or how much you think about it ahead of time, I don't think you'll ever really know how you'll react until you find yourself in that situation."

Registered
    Jan 2018

There is little more Rangin can do other than nod at the orders he is being given and be prepared to follow them.

He gets ready at the airlock. At least Graham will be leading and he is more than hefty enough to be behind should things go wrong and someone opens fire whether by accident or on purpose

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia sees the others in position and assumes Booker expects her to open the hatch. "Here we go," she says, pressing the controls that allow the team to exit the shuttle.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Some of the tightness in Kylah's stomach muscles relaxes. "Yes, I agree. Thank you." She eats more of the food, still unsure how she will be able to eat the entire meal. "If I remember, you said you have been on the ship for less than a year. Where were you before? Was this your first station after the Academy?"

After the question is out, she suddenly shakes her head. "I do not mean to keep you--if you need to leave, please do not hesitate on my account. I should not be selfish at such a busy time. Although I... I would like your company," she finishes quietly.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The two upper segments of the Kaku's hatch slide apart, and the lower segment slopes away with a quiet hum, forming a step down.

The old man who's closer to the shuttle says, "Welcome to Novy Rostov - I'm Dr. Vasilyev. This is one of our Museum guards, Annette White, and this," he gestures to those behind him, "is Jeremy Cornwall and his young friend, Nikolai Gromov."

The access tube is not very wide. The Museum director and the guard are almost shoulder to shoulder, and Cornwall and the little boy are not far behind but could not make it onto the shuttlecraft without trampling on the first two.

The boy, peering out from behind White, recognizes Graham at once, beams happily and says, "Hi, Lt. Graham!"

Alvarez says to Kylah, "No, I was assigned to the big Fleet Hospital on Starbase 7 for awhile, and then to the Lagos. I've only been aboard the Yorktown for about eight months." He looks bashful again. "I'm glad to stay if, uh, you'll have me. I don't have to rush off just yet, and you're... you're a nice person to be around. I mean, I enjoy your company, too."

Registered
    Jan 2018

The call from the young boy seems to confirm Rangin's concerns. Why else would a relative of Marala be here and waiting out of the blue? Just what is Graham planning to do, even though in doing so he will put the entire crew and those saved at risk. Not that it would matter to Graham, he would still do something stupid if he thought he can get away with it. But the lottery choice has been made and some people must live and some must die, like it was for Rangin so long ago.

Rangin kicks his ankle in frustration. Now is not the time to be thinking on past events, no matter how similar they may be.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah does not lose her slight frown when Carlos compliments her. How can he think her 'good company?' She has been either half-conscious or an anxious mess whenever he sees her.

All her life, people seem to project different qualities onto her: the ideals they wish to dream, the assets they can use, the base needs for which they lust, the flaws their bigoted minds hate. Does anyone truly know her?

But then, she is a liar and a deceiver. Why should she expect anyone to care for... whoever she is? Kylah does not even know what she is, other than the totality of her fears.

"Thank you," she murmurs, using the tines of her fork to stab a few tiny red berries she does not recognize. "You have not seen me in very good circumstances, but you have been generous to me nonetheless." Kylah's gaze meets his, suddenly wary. "May I ask, who are you close with, on the ship? I mean... I have been here only a few months. Perhaps you could introduce me to your friends."

She lowers the fork, needing to explain. Because "if you are hearing things from Lt. Ferguson I do not wish to know you" is not a good enough reason for her request.

"You see, I do not know many people. Not even other Communications officers. I am not in the department very often. When I am not on the Bridge, I am often on landing or boarding missions. I do not know why I am chosen so frequently."

Shaking her head, Kylah eats the berries--sour, not sweet as expected but still enjoyable. She gives Carlos a small, slanting smile and admits, "Considering how I usually fare on these assignments, perhaps the purpose is to give the medical crew someone on whom they can practice."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Alvarez says, "I don't have hordes of friends myself, but I'm closest to a couple of my Medical colleagues. I'd be glad to introduce you." To her final comment he says, "Now, I think you're being 'way too hard on yourself. Clearly the Captain must see something in you to keep picking you for missions off-ship." He smiles. "Maybe, besides what I'm sure are your excellent Communications skills, you're the kind of survivor she knows she needs when the going gets tough...?"

Registered
    May 2013

"Hi Nikolai," Graham says in response, forcing a slight smile.

"Jeremy," he adds, nodding toward the old man. "And thank, you, Doctor, Ms. White. I assume you have the painting?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nikolai keeps bending his head back and forth, trying to see Graham past the others. Cornwall nods solemnly to Graham.

Dr. Vasilyev gestures towards the guard, who has the sturdy-looking metal carrying case. She stares at Graham. The curator says, "Yes, right here. I'll be glad to bring it up to your ship."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 10 Mar 2020 at 11:52 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia's view from the pilot's seat is limited, but she does her best to see whatever she can. She sighs in frustration. She should've brought along a tricorder of her own. And a phaser. What the hell was I thinking?

Her jaw clenches. She knows the answer: she thought one shot from the Kaku herself would be defense enough. But... that'd work only if none of her crewmates were on the ground to get blasted along with whatever or whoever the threat was.

Well, there are way better shots than her on the team, and right now it doesn't look as if phasers are needed. One guard against three Security officers. Plus Marala's friend, who's presumably not a threat since he's got his... what would Ajay call it? Golden ticket, she remembers. Someday she'll have to ask him what that's a reference to. Some contest on Earth, presumably...

A shake of her head gets her focusing on the matter at hand. "Dr. Bennett," she says quietly, "Can your tricorder detect if anyone else is back there, gathering in the annex?" Another possibility strikes her., and for this she twists around and talks directly to the doctor, voice still low.

"What about monitoring the lifesigns of that guard? I'd imagine she's scared as hell, but if anything changes, like, if she's planning something, her adrenaline and heart rate should bump up significantly. Does that make sense or am I off-track?"

+ Reply to thread