+ Reply to thread
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,950 of 2466

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #6: "Marala"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah's heart lurches as if trying to break free of a trap. When the turbolift door opens she darts her gaze in both directions to find the correct route to Lt. Onn's cabin, then rushes past anyone and anything in her path to get there.

Time has stretched and after what seems an hour--although it cannot have been more than five minutes--she arrives at #4A14. She waits a few more endless seconds until the corridor is free of any witnesses. Her breathing is back to near hyperventilation levels when she lifts her communicator.

"Kylah to Ferguson," she gasps, eyes briefly closed in prayer. "Ready."

Registered
    Sep 2009

The corridor is relatively uncrowded, as temporary bunks have already been assembled and supplies left in place here, so Kylah has her opportunity.

Energizing, Ferguson texts. A few seconds later he adds, Transport complete.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia's tempted to snarkily suggest to her colleagues here inside the shuttle that they take off without Booker, Rangin or her royal highness. Is there really no other comms officer who can do what Kylah does? Which, despite Nia's sympathy toward all the crappy stuff the girl has gone through, cannot possibly be worth the angst and energy black hole that surrounds her.

But she keeps her mouth shut because, well, professionalism matters. She'll play the wiseass with the best of 'em but this isn't the time or place for being bitchy.

It's nagging in the back of Andy Johnson's head, but something about Ens. Kylah's last text just bugs him somewhat and with everything going on, it's a distraction Ajay doesn't need. Screw it, a problem shared is a problem halved and if Kylah is looking for Nia, he may as well give a head's up.
    ONN, LT -- Hey there, just a head's up, but Ens. Kylah was just asking about your cabin number. No idea why, but thought you ought to know -- JOHNSON, ANDREW
    He flicks the message off on its merry way and now that someone else can worry about it, Ajay knuckles back down to his preparations.

Nia feels the buzz on her hip. Great, probably Vargas blaming her for the delay, she thinks--only two-thirds joking.

Then she stares at the communicator screen, brows furrowed. What the hell? Suspecting Ajay's too busy to waste his time with a 'thank you' note--they're in sync enough for that sort of nicety to be unspoken by now--Nia lowers the device to her lap and thinks for about five seconds. Tell the testosterone twins out there, or go directly to the source?

Easy call.

Unfortunately, not literally: her attempt at voice contact goes to voicemail. Nia shakes her head and thumbs a rapid text comm.
    KYLAH, ENS. - Unless Vargas ordered you to deliver a bouquet to my quarters as a surprise, you should be heading straight for the shuttlebay. Because a) that's where I am if you want to see me, and b) Lt. JG Graham has assigned you to his goddamn landing party on an emergency mission. Get here now or explain. Actually, get here now and explain. -- ONN, LT.
    She practically smashes her finger when sending the urgent message. After waiting another few seconds in hopes of hearing from Kylah, Nia claps the communicator shut, slides out of her seat, and exits the shuttle without bothering to apologize or explain to the dutiful--or at least prompt--officers inside. Time to tell Booker the lost lamb has been sighted.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 06 Jan 2020 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Nia by me, Andy Johnson by Ajay

Registered
    Mar 2012

A contact from Lt. Mark Ferguson to Kylah has never been received with pleasure, but now Kylah nearly collapses in gratitude and dizzy relief. She is about to reach out to Mrs. Soeryadjaya when she hears an incoming alert.

Lt. Onn's voice is the audible manifestation of steel when announcing herself. Dismayed--Mr. Johnson has obviously notified his friend--Kylah sets her mouth in a thin line and pushes the lieutenant's call to voicemail.

No time. No time and no air. She breathes deep and contacts Mrs. Soeryadjaya by pressing the door chime.

"Ma'am, it is Kylah," she says softly but distinctly. "From the--"

A text message alert. Kylah jerks her head back to read her communicator screen, then ignores it when she sees it too is from Lt. Onn. She focuses on the door again and repeats aloud: "It is Kylah from the House of the Silver Weeping Tree. Please let me in."

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

"We'll be underway in 1, sir," Graham replies.

"All right everybody saddle up," he says, pointing to the shuttle.

As he moves toward it himself, he furiously texts Ens. Kylah. If you don't arrive Shuttlebay 1 minute you'll be left behind.

His anger is far more wide-ranging than specifically directed at Ens. Kylah, however: for all he knows, she's not here because something is terribly wrong.

He texts the Security officer on Patrol duty: This is Lt. Graham. Priority: locate Ens. Kylah. Ensure well-being. If so, take report on why failed to report for away mission.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Russell and Rangin board the shuttlecraft and take their seats. Meyer debarks and, with a nod to Graham, heads for a Shuttlebay side door.

The door opens and Kylah sees Mrs. Soeryadjaya and a thin, frightened-looking younger man standing behind her in the darkened cabin. At that moment, two women in Science blue round the corner and start walking towards Kylah. They are talking to one another and she doesn't think they've seen her yet.

Crewman Wallach is the Yorktown's Security patrol officer of the watch. He replies to Graham via text, Understood and now complying.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Stomach knotted, Kylah fairly leaps into Lt. Onn's quarters, hissing a command to the door. Her arms spread to shepherd the strangers more deeply into the cabin; she will say nothing directly to them until and unless she hears the familiar whoosh of the door, hopefully shutting in time to hide them all from view.
    Last edited by choie; 07 Jan 2020 at 01:12 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah jostles Soeryadjaya as she goes in, making the businesswoman say "Hey!" in surprise and annoyance. The doors whisk shut and Kylah hears nothing outside.

Vargas does not sound pleased. He says to Graham, "I'm assigning another Communications officer to the mission, Mr. Garcia, just in case. He should be there shortly. If Mr. Kylah isn't there by the time he arrives, you're to leave without her. Vargas out."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia nods distractedly at Meyer as he passes by. She watches Booker while keeping one hand on the side of the shuttle's open hatch, finger tapping the cool metal. When he doesn't seem willing to move, she takes a couple of steps toward him.

"Um...an inside source just told me our MIA's apparently heading to my cabin. Although why she's trying to reach me that way, your guess is as good as mine. I told her via voice and text to report ASAP."

When she's close enough, she adds under her breath: "C'mon, Book. She's alive and apparently just flaking out, not for the first time. She's in no danger or whatever you're imagining. I know I don't need to remind you there're others in actual peril who need us now."

Her voice is almost a whisper. "Speaking of which... I set up a plan with your guest, and wanted to run it by you. And if you're also planning something--unfortunately we've only got about fifteen seconds before Garcia arrives."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah apologizes for her clumsiness but is more interested in noticing the shutting door than politeness.

Satisfied, she exhales and focuses on the guests. "Mrs. Soeryadjaya. Mr. Yarrow. I am very..." Kylah can hardly put it into words. "So very glad you are here. I welcome you on behalf of my uncle Aldaan, Regent to the Dohlman. Please, ma'am, sir... please sit down." She starts to gesture to the bed and only now notices that it is unmade and certainly not how she, personally, would have left it.

"I--I apologize, this is not my cabin, but it should be safe for you, for now. The officer who lives here is heading to the planet, and since we--they--are taking a shuttle I doubt she will be back earlier than thirty minutes at least."

She notes the gentleman's agitation, but cannot think of anything to say to calm him. Too much left to do. "I hope you will forgive me but I must take care of a few... things..."

Sitting at Lt. Onn's desk and terminal, Kylah logs in as herself and hurries to access the Comms system and her own hidden directory.

Until now, Kylah's skills as a communications officer have, with certain exceptions, been utilized to help others--identifying and helping decrypt the SOS message from the Aelyrr ship; doing the same for the missing CAG officers on Sigma Iotia II.

Now she is doing something illegal and immoral according to Starfleet, something for which she would face the most serious of punishments if it were known. While it is in less solidly 'white hat' territory, this activity is much closer to the reason she was enlisted into Starfleet in the first place.

And then there is yet another buzz from her communicator. She is sorely tempted to throw the wretched thing against a wall. Instead, noting guiltily that the incoming message is from Lt. Graham, Kylah sighs and lets her fingers run gently against the notification screen--a gesture of regret.

Then she turns the communicator off--she does not want to be traced in here--and gets back to work: diving into the main comms system deep enough to eradicate any trace of interaction between her, Lt. Ferguson and the refugees.
    Last edited by choie; 08 Jan 2020 at 05:09 AM.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Leaving the drama to the others, Rangin takes his seat in the shuttle and mentally tries to switch his focus to what he is required for next.

He carefully stows his datapad knowing that he may not have a better opportunity to get the data he craves to ensure the lottery is as fair as possible. He hopes that Mr. D doesn't run it until there is no chance to get the data or they have run out of time.

"Do you know what we are supposed to be doing on this mission?" he asks Russell, while they board, hoping for some answers.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Soeryadjaya says, "This isn't even your cabin?" She looks around disdainfully. "Small blessing, I guess. But where are we going to go when the owner gets back?"

Yarrow sits on one of the beds. He says nothing but looks like he'd rather be anywhere else.

Kylah notices that each has a small suitcase. It will take her some time and care to undetectably erase the Yorktown comm records she has in mind.

Russell rolls his eyes, leans back and says to Rangin, "Something about picking up a painting. Weird, huh? Guess there wasn't enough time for a proper mission briefing, but Lt. Graham will tell us more, I'm sure."

Communications Lt. JG Ernesto Garcia arrives on the run less than a minute later, a tricorder strap over his shoulder. He says to Graham, a little out of breath, "Reporting for duty, sir. Cmdr. Vargas told me to come on the double." He climbs aboard the shuttle and takes his seat, shaking hands with Russell, apparently a friend.

The comm crackles and Meyer says over the link, "This is Shuttlebay Control. Shuttlecraft Kaku, you are cleared for departure."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah has navigated to her own message logs, where she can start the process of attempting to erase both the communicator-based copies and the Yorktown's originals that are intended to be archived. She will try the same methods used earlier, when she was thankfully successful at removing traces of her recent activities.

If she achieves this goal, her far trickier and more dangerous task will be activating a dormant virus kept in a private directory, using a bot that she will activate and direct to crawl along Ferguson's message trail to her, as well as those of the older woman complaining barely a meter away, and quietly destroy all the branched connections.

This compact but deadly program was created by some of Aldaan's allies whom Kylah has never met--with help from her knowledge of Starfleet security protocols learned during the Academy and the weeks spent training for her current position.

Previously she has only practiced before with benign, unimportant test conversations, both text and voice. Here she faces a very different story. She is unsure of her success in something this complicated--and now it is not just her future that is in jeopardy. People's lives are counting on her.

Speaking of which... "Do not worry, ma'am. The Lieutenant will... I will be able to delay her," Kylah responds, more in hope than confidence. Her trembling fingers tap wildly at the keys to enter her password to the bleach program's command line--KhotSWT?&NaOCl. "And--and all we need is to delay until the lottery is picked. You will not be thrown off once mingled with the others. I will hide you in my quarters and..."

She shrugs awkwardly, her improvised inspiration having bled out. "It will be fine. Please do not be afraid, now that you are here." Twisting her head to cast another glance at Mr. Yarrow, she does her best to send him a smile, despite having no hint of it in her pleading eyes. "Just--just remain calm and please, do as I say. I... we... will keep you safe."
    Last edited by choie; 12 Jan 2020 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Clarifying what she is trying to do.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia stares in growing concern at Booker. There's not much she can do short of yanking him into the shuttle. "Sir. Booker," she mutters. "Garcia is here; we've gotta leave now."

Backing up a step, she lifts her arm to hail and acknowledge Lt. Meyer. "Understood! On my way." She turns and finally hardens her tone to make it more pointedly professional. "Mr. Graham, I'll board and await your launch order."

Just two more heartbeats of hesitation pass before Nia adds: "Lieutenant. If you think you need to be replaced as mission C.O., I'll inform Cmdr. Vargas. He'll hate it but he'd hate a delay even more. And..."

She stops. Booker knows damn well that it's his friend, his friend's son, who are at stake. Of course Nia will do whatever she can, but without him...

No more time. This is his decision, and he'd better make it in about 45 seconds. Without another word, she strides to the Kaku and climbs in to take her seat, a mask of serenity hiding her increasing nausea.
    Last edited by choie; 12 Jan 2020 at 03:44 AM.

Registered
    May 2013

When you're in a hole, stop digging, Booker...

"OK, let's go, Nia," Graham says quietly directly to her, a shake of his head a quick rub of the back of his neck expressing his frustration--then he mouths "thank you." He quickly takes his seat on the shuttle and speaks loudly enough for everyone to hear. "All right people, sorry for the delay. Believe it or not, there's a painting of major artistic importance we are headed to extract so it's not damaged or destroyed when--" He pauses. "Well we all know the situation."

He exhales, not really believing this will be possible after the last hour, or day for that matter. "God willing it should be a milk run, but under these circumstances, we need to be wary about conditions on the colony."

Your mission commander might want to smuggle a child onboard, for example.

"Any questions?" he asks.

As he finishes, he taps his communicator, addressing Crewman Wallach. "Check Lt. Onn's quarters."

He doesn't even try to figure out what the hell is going on, trying to focus his attention on the mission.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah makes steady progress in covering her subspace comm tracks.

Yarrow smiles nervously but, with a look at his boss, says nothing. She, meanwhile, uses the bathroom and then begins pacing.

"A painting?" Dr. Bennett says, almost scoffing. "You've got to be kidding. What painting is worth risking a shuttle and seven crew at a time like this?"

Graham is seated in the right front chair, with Onn in the pilot's seat to his left. With everyone now aboard the shuttlecraft, she closes and locks the portside hatch with the touch of a button. Meyer's voice comes over the comm speaker: "Stand by. Now depressurizing Shuttlebay... depressurization complete. Now opening Shuttlebay doors." Directly ahead of you, clearly visible through the Kaku's three bow viewports, the massive clamshell doors swing open, showing the starry heavens beyond and, far below, the faintly-glowing planetary arc of Novy Rostov.

Security Crewman Wallach replies to Graham, Acknowledged. On my way.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 15 Jan 2020 at 12:39 AM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham chuckles at the doctor's comment. "Well, it's a Van Gogh, apparently. And Federation protocols are no beaming, point to point physical transfer only."

Graham slaps his thighs with his palms. "I am not qualified to offer an opinion on its cultural value, Doc..." He shrugs. "But from a Security standpoint...men and women have died for much smaller things. 'We need that vantage point.' 'Seize auxiliary control.' Justified or not, let's all focus on everyone coming back safe and sound with this painting."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Who's Van Gogh?" Russell whispers to Serowe, who begins to quietly explain.

Dr. Bennett sighs heavily, crosses his arms and leans back in his seat.

A few minutes later, the chime on Onn's quarters' door sounds.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 16 Jan 2020 at 11:44 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Now that they're safely en route, Nia glances sidelong at Booker. In all this rush with Marala, she forgot what this mission's supposed to be about. A frickin' painting. Thousands of people doomed, the Yorktown’s manpower/resources stretched to their fullest... and we have to focus on some overpriced paper and paint? Orders are orders but this is absurd.

She's glad the officers behind them are seated in an optimal layout to keep anyone sharp-eared--specifically Rangin--from hearing too much. Bennett’s a slight risk, but the doctor’s too self-involved to care about what will hopefully be a relatively cryptic discussion.

After a pause she murmurs to Booker without looking at him: "Do you know about the tradition of Sanctuary?"
    Last edited by choie; 17 Jan 2020 at 10:36 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

The chime breaks Kylah's concentration and sends her to her feet, though with practiced habit she taps the terminal's screen into blackness.

While her heart fairly dances in alarm and consternation, she spins and points almost savagely at the bathroom. "In there," she mouths to Mrs. Soeryadjaya. Hopefully Mr. Yarrow will follow her lead. "Hide in the shower, do not say a word!"

Meanwhile she bombards herself with questions. Did someone see her enter? Is this a person merely visiting Lt. Onn? Or did the older woman somehow figure out that Kylah planned to enter her quarters? How? I did not tell Mr. Johnson anything like that! Will they go away if she does not answer?

But such speculation is fruitless. She weakly sinks down to sit on the edge of the bed, closing her eyes in an attempt to sense whoever is in the corridor, what emotions they are feeling, what their intent is...

Fear can be a poor conductor of her empathic abilities; at times, however, it heightens them. Like prey who must scent their predator in order to survive.
    Last edited by choie; 17 Jan 2020 at 09:54 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Onn works the shuttle's controls and brings the Kaku gently off the Shuttlebay deck, then through the open, yawning doorway and out into space. She banks the small craft and plots a course to take it down to the colony on the planet's surface by the most direct route.

Kylah's two stowaways quickly do as she asks, and the bathroom door whisks shut behind them. After a few seconds, the chime sounds again. She has only a faint psionic sense of the person in the corridor - but she can tell it is a Human man, and he seems to feel a strong sense of duty, of purpose. He does not seem hostile. She does not recognize him.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham doesn't move just grunts quietly deep in his chest. "Uh...like church?" he mumbles.

Registered
    Mar 2012

From the stranger's mental state, Kylah suspects he is a security officer. Or a doctor. Except the only male medical staff she has interacted with are the new Dr. Bennett, who does not at all seem to match the emotional profile; Mr. Alvarez, who is an unlikely prospect; and Dr. Bucci, who--

An unexpected shudder of unease snakes down her spine. It is not current, but a memory: a dim mental echo, like deja vu, that reminds her of the odd darkness she once recognized deep within Dr. Bucci's inner emotions.

She shakes her head and focuses on the present. This man must be security. Her choices for the culprit who contacted security are few, and since she told only one person where she was headed, Kylah's sense of betrayal focuses on a single name.

Rising anger melds with fear as she grabs her communicator and rushes to the other side of the bed, as far away from the door as she can get. Kylah taps uselessly at the device and nearly lets loose a scream until she remembers that she turned it off earlier. Her thumbs rectify this and she flips it open in a blur:

“Urgent message, from Kylah to Cook Johnson,” she hisses. “Answer!”

Ajay is taking a breather from the incessant cooking when the call comes in. Kylah again. He shakes his head and responds. “Hey there, what’s--”

“How could you set Security after me?”

“What the hell are you on about?”

“There is a Security man outside, I assume since you told Lt. Onn you thought I was doing something nefarious. I am inside her quarters, but...”

Ajay holds the communicator away from his ear wondering if he is working too hard and this is actually a hallucination, but Kylah's tinny voice convinces him otherwise. Looking round he moves to a quieter area where he is less likely to be overheard.

When she stops for breath, he asks: "How did you get inside--"

“It does not matter how. Please, I need you to contact Lt. Onn and tell her that I…” Kylah pauses, presumably to think of a lie. “That I had a migraine. And I...I needed a quiet place. She has her own quarters while I have a roommate now, and--”

“Hold up." He notices a few others in the Galley crew nearby and lowers his voice further. "So, you mean you’re in Nia’s quarters, you have a migraine and there’s a guy outside trying to get in. Yeah, this is...” He thinks for a moment. “Okay, here’s what you do: get into the bed. Oh yeah, get undressed and scatter your clothes across the floor, all of them, undies on top, make it obvious.” he orders back down the communicator trying not to let the smirk tell in his voice.

He hears her inhale. “This is not a joke to me,” she says with a note of despair. “It is a life or death situation, I must not be--”

“Yes, I know, migraines are a bad thing. I’m sure it could be a lot more serious than that and, if so, I don’t want to know the details now.” He hopes that Kylah gets the point sooner rather than later. Meanwhile he has a choice to make. Get further involved or back away from this trouble-magnet. “But of course it bloody matters how you got in there. Don’t you think that’ll be the first thing they ask?” Ajay sighs, decision made. “Right. Just tell the truth: I let you in her quarters to put you into bed.”

”What? How would you have been able to--”

Having had enough of Kylah’s outraged stammering, he cuts in. “Look, you asked for help and I’m giving it to you. You’re feeling bad, right? Get into bed and stay there and don’t open the door. He may still go away if there is no answer. If he comes in give him an eyeful, sorry, earful of woe. No one’s gonna take a naked woman out of bed. Meanwhile I’ll handle things on Nia’s end.” As I so often do. Except she’s gonna kill me for this. He goes on patiently. “I’ll see what I can do and be in touch.”

The connection cuts off. He shakes his head wondering what the hell he is getting into, it’s likely Nia knows more than him anyway, as Kylah was trying to contact her. Or was that a lie too?

“In for a penny, in for a pound,” he whispers quietly as he flips the device open again to hail Nia.

Kylah sinks on the fortuitously unmade bed, staring at the door. She can think of no alternative. Mr. Johnson, for all his prurient jokes, seems sincere in his effort to help, and even to take a risk for her.

But she cannot follow his entire suggestion. She manages to slip off her dress, then tosses it so it drapes over the corner of the bed nearest the door. Unwilling to be entirely nude, Kylah keeps her bra and underwear in place. Then she scrambles under the covers. With her bare left arm exposed, she crushes her face into Nia's pillow and squeezes her eyes tightly shut.
    Last edited by choie; 19 Jan 2020 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Kylah by me, Ajay by Ajay.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The door chime sounds again, and then after a pause Kylah can hear the murmurs of a male voice out in the corridor. After a few seconds, the door whisks open, and a Security officer steps into the room.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia nods and checks the status of the helm and nav screens, then systems and engines... generally maintaining what she likes to call 'good shuttle hygiene.'

"Like church, yeah," she says softly, sweeping her gaze across the expanse of stars and the approaching planet before landing on Booker. "Or a space acting like a church. Remember where we left her? That wasn't random."

She shrugs, more casual in appearance and tone than she feels. "You know way more about laws and rules than I do. I know historically it's mostly for criminals, but, technically speaking... that's what they'll be, won't they. And before you think she wouldn't go for such a trick--I checked, and she's on board. In every sense of the term. If you have some way of having her son join her... damn right she'll do it."

The communicator at her hip sends two short beeps into the relatively quiet shuttle. An urgent message. Scowling--she doesn't like to be disturbed when there's no Nav partner to pick up the slack--Nia reaches for the device while aiming a pointed look at the man beside her. "Gotta take this, but mull it over, will you? It's all I could come up with."

She flips open the communicator, surprised--to say the least--by the identity of the person on the other end. No time for niceties. “What’s wrong?”

“Hey, you got my message earlier?”

Ajay's voice is quiet, less cocky than usual. Message? Her scowl deepens and automatically she matches his low volume. “Of course I got it. You mean the one about Ensign--”

"--Kylah, yeah, that's right, the one where I told you she has a migraine and her cabin's full of people so when I saw she needed help I borrowed your cabin since it's currently empty."

Nia blinks. "What? None of that was in your--"

"Can't say too much more as it's busy in the canteen. Reason I'm contacting you is, for some reason Security are also trying to get into your quarters as well, strange if you ask me. You do remember now, don't you?"

“No I bloody don't, are you trying to make me feel senile?" Nia stares at the planet in disbelief and tries to lower her own voice again. "Hold on a sec. You're saying they're trying to get inside--”

“Security, right. As to why, well either it's some impromptu downtime or I would guess someone sent them that way looking for her. She did say she told your Lt. Graham about it. Either that he's getting one of his goons to deliver flowers while you're otherwise occupied...”

Nia turns to Booker, but then looks quickly away. Would Kylah lie about all this migraine crap? Yeah, sure, it's not exactly out of character. Would Ajay lie? Of course, he'd do it just for the fun, as long as no one got hurt.

But would Kylah lie about having told Booker? Nia gnaws at her lip. It's too dangerous, too easily proven false.

“... So, just to confirm," Ajay continues intently, as I said in my earlier message, she has a migraine and needed somewhere to sleep it off, your room is empty for a little while, so I let her in. You get me?"

Nia can't even think of an answer, or even a question other than 'have you gone completely nuts' or 'why are you trying to drive me nuts,' and as she tries to come up with something more useful, Ajay goes on.

"Just thought I'd give you an update, given the Security issue. Maybe you could get your boy to call 'em off? She's currently undressed in your bed recovering."

"You--she's in my--"

"Yeah, not sure if it's a present you would appreciate... even if I might. Don't worry, It'll be a quickie, in and out while you're distracted and before you realise. Trust me.”

In-and-out. Nia winces at the slang, a rare lewd remark she finds distasteful. “Ugh, Aje, you know damn well...”

Her words trail off. Yes, he does know how much she hates the phrase. So why use it? Also: 'Trust me.' He wouldn't say that as a joke. There's too much trust between them to make light of it.

She maintains a poker face. So... okay. This is all bull and he knows me too well to believe I'd buy it. But I guess... he wants me to act like I do? To protect Kylah? Shit.

After a deep breath, she speaks. “Well, I'll have to eat crow. A lot of crow,” she adds with bone-dry emphasis. If she has to make herself look like an idiot, Ajay's gonna owe her big time. "But I'm glad you contacted me. Wouldn't want someone so incredibly ill disturbed. Tell her I'm sorry." The last is said through clenched teeth as she slaps her communicator shut.

Her eyes do another check of the various lights and panels. In the two or three seconds it takes, she girds herself for some unpleasantness.

Nia then turns to Booker. "Lt. Graham. It seems I may have caused some issues for you. Apparently that info about Ensign Kylah I relayed earlier, it wasn't quite accur--" Suddenly she stops and blurts out--offense making the best defense--"Did you send a Security officer to enter my quarters?"

Nia by me, Ajay by Ajay
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 21 Jan 2020 at 12:16 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

All of Kylah's will is harnessed to maintain the illusion that she is asleep. As she grows more and more aware that a man has entered the room, she cannot avoid the unpleasant realization that this could develop into something far worse than any punishment for failing to obey orders. Every instinct tells her to pull the covers up over her and use her communicator to contact someone, anyone.

But no. Not all men are as twisted as Mark Ferguson or Darren Zweller. Or Lord Fastolfe, or the men on Anubis, or--Or Jan...

Instead of screaming or bolting or causing any kind of scene, Kylah puts a hand over her eyes and squints, not quite seeing the stranger. "Is--" Her voice cracks from the tightness in her parched throat. "Is that you, Lt. Onn?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"No, it's Crewman Wallach, ma'am," the redshirt says. He steps closer to the bed. "Security. Is that you, Ens. Kylah? Are you all right?"

Registered
    Jan 2018

A painting, a stupid piece of artwork that we are wasting time and resources on...

Rangin sits back in his seat. He could be doing something far more vital on the planet's surface, but he's now acting as a part of a delivery crew. The only thing amusing is that Lt. Graham is in charge and he would have been specifically selected for this. Everyone else is here because Graham is a miserable piece of work.

He may be lost in his thoughts but he cannot help but overhear Lt. Onn's slightly outraged question. He nestles back further. At least this should keep the short trip down interesting.

Registered
    Mar 2012

When the man--Crewman Wallach--comes even closer,, Kylah does not need to feign surprise and alarm. She brushes her hair from her face and draws backwards, simultaneously lifting the blanket for more coverage of her bra-clad upper body.

"Yes, I am Ens. Kylah, I am all right! I have a bad headache and was just--please stay where you are, I am only wearing..." Kylah shakes her head and looks at her uniform draped on the bed, which makes the rest of her sentence obvious.

Instinct keeps one hand clutching her communicator at the ready. Although it is very unlikely Mr. Wallach means harm, after so many disastrous encounters where she was unable to call for help, Kylah cannot take a chance. "I do not understand. Why--why are you here?"

Registered
    May 2013

Graham listens attentively to Nia. He's no JAG, but Sanctuary is a real thing that just might require legal review that would keep Marala on the ship, even if and when she's discovered...

"Brilliant idea.." he starts to say, then Nia's last words register fully. "Uh, I sent an officer to find Kylah...and then you said she might be headed to your quarters..."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Wallach, a rangy, middle-aged man with a hawklike nose, wiry, salt-and-pepper hair and a well-trimmed beard, stops a few steps away from the bed. He says, almost apologetically, "Lt. Graham said you might be here, and sent me to find you. And... the First Officer really wants to talk to you."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia nods, if only to take up some time before she has to tell her first lie--well, the first one of any consequence--to Booker. "Right," she says, still stalling. "I just didn't think that a lone ensign heading in my direction would mean a frontal attack on my privacy."

She sighs and rubs her temple in aggravation. "No, I'm sorry. I'll just admit it. I could've prevented all this myself. That message I gave you earlier, about Kylah heading to me? Andy Johnson was the one who spotted her. She had a migraine--he says you might know about that?--and obviously needed some help."

Some help. That girl needs all the help. "Aje--um, Mr. Johnson drew it out of her that she's got a roomie now and couldn't rest. She didn't go to Sickbay because... actually I don't know why."

For a second she can't think of a thing to say. Nice, Ajay, don't bother handling that part of the lie, why not make me improvise, thank you very much.

She darts a glance backward, hoping the mere sight of Dr. Bennett might provide inspiration, but instead she's captured by Rangin's steady, unreadable stare. And for some reason little prickles of warmth suffuse her throat as tiny scales emerge: the closest she gets to flushing.

"Uh... so... I guess the med team's busy as hell," she murmurs, half to Booker, but--weirdly--half to Rangin. "Makes sense for Andy to take her somewhere quiet, don't you think?"

There's more to explain but she needs to take a mental breather. Hopefully they'll just nod and say "oh, poor Kylah" the way men seem to do, and Nia can get on to matters that, well, matter. Getting Booker to order his team, or however many Security folks he'd commanded to find the lost princess, is her next step.
    Last edited by choie; 23 Jan 2020 at 03:23 AM. Reason: cut in half--believe it or not!

Registered
    Mar 2012

The First Officer. Kylah's eyes widen and a cold hand tightens around her heart. He must be furious.

"Oh," she says, almost a moan. She cannot imagine meeting Lt. Graham's disappointment right now, much less Cmdr. Vargas's wrath. The knowledge that she deserves both only makes it worse.

Somehow she gathers her emotions. "Mr. Wallach, I am very sorry you went to any trouble for me. I suppose you need to--to accompany me?" Take me into custody? Oh, what if he knows, what if Lt. Ferguson has been found out and he gave me up?

Now genuinely dizzy, Kylah looks away and takes another large lungful of air. "Or may I go alone? Either way, I must..." She stretches an arm awkwardly toward her uniform, but since it is too far away to reach without bending forward and revealing more than she wishes, she just shakes her head. "I must dress. May I do so in private, sir?"

A thought bursts into her mind, shockingly belated: What about her guests? She must inform them.

Blinking, Kylah stumbles on. "Also I would like to--to--" Her free hand flutters in the direction of the closed bathroom door. "Could you wait outside, please? I promise I will be just five minutes at the most."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"It's no trouble, but I was asked to escort you, ma'am," Wallach says, a little uncomfortably. "And sure, I'll step outside. Five minutes." He does so, and the door whooshes shut behind him.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham sighs and shakes his head slowly. "I honestly can't figure out what's going on with Ens. Kylah. But even if I wanted to stop it from happening, I, she, or both of us will have to report to Vargas on why she didn't show up....for the mission."

He sighs again and says quietly. "The fucking mission--and, uh, each, uh--aspect, of it, that we both know about...hardly life and death to grab some painting, but, uh, the other aspects..."

"Can we pull up some info on the landing zone?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Onn is busy piloting, but Graham is able to access the Library Computer from the forward console and bring up diagrams of the Novy Rostov colony. There are four landing pads on the surface, one large and three small. Landing Pad 3 is one of the smaller, about 300 meters southeast of the main dome cluster and just a meter above the planet's dusty, rocky surface. It is still easily big enough to accommodate the Kaku. An airtight access tube can connect the shuttle with the rest of the colony upon landing.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham frowns, reviewing the plans. Sure, it's hella defensible if desperate colonists try to rush the shuttle, but pretty damn hard to sneak a kid through unseen...

Registered
    Jan 2018

Listening on the the conversation, Rangin gets the feeling he is supposed to be part of it, although it's the last thing he should do. However, what Lt. Onn is saying and trying to justify doesn't tally with what he saw. Seeing as he had been with Kylah when she had supposedly had this migraine. How she wound up in Lt Onn's quarters is anyone's guess though.

He keeps his eyes forward and his features blank, even if Lt Onn said half of that in his direction.

Wait a moment, Kylah was dealing with Ferguson, but then transporting someone into someone's else quarters? Ugh, is this more complicated than he wants to think about and Kylah is right in the middle of it. Somehow heading to the colony to pick up a painting seems like the sensible thing to do.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia makes sure to focus primarily on maintaining the ship's progress toward the planet. A portion of her mind, however, natters on at her. She nods at Booker's comment about the dire nature of their mission--the real mission, the important one, the one that involves saving lives rather than artworks.

"As long as you're looking stuff up," she says softly, "Maybe you can find something about the feasibility of Sanctuary as a solution to our problem. All I had a chance to do was confirm that it's apparently a real thing, not just a plot twist I read in a Terran novel written hundreds of years ago."

"Whether it'd work in our situation," she adds, still in an undertone to Booker, "That requires a deeper dive into Starfleet regulations than I had time to access." She pauses. "If there's any ambiguity it might be to our advantage. I suspect even your C.O. would err on the side of mercy. At least I hope he would."

She checks their speed and trajectory, calculating how much longer this brief trip will take. Then she adds, less secretively: "Speaking of him... I wouldn't want Kylah to get in trouble just 'cause I was sloppy in reading Johnson's message. The rest was him asking if Kylah could use my empty quarters. I was in such a hurry that I didn't hit NEXT on the screen. When I didn't repond, he figured he'd take matters into his own hands. He let her into my cabin, where he got her into bed."

After her gaze takes another quick journey across the status monitors, she inhales deeply. "Long story short... I'm sorry, Lieutenant. Please call off your dogs, or at least, don't aim them at Kylah. Keep 'em ready in the shuttlebay for when we return and I need to be punished."

She can't keep the tiniest curving tilt to her lips, leaving the rest to his imagination: Or feel free to do it yourself, if we ever have time for that sorta thing.

Registered
    Mar 2012

With Wallach gone, Kylah shoves herself off the bed, scoops up her uniform and pulls the dress over her, relieved to be covered up properly again. But that is all the relief she is afforded.

To be summoned to report to Cmdr. Vargas--not just on her own but to be escorted there, effectively in Mr. Wallach's custody--is nearly as frightening a development as she can bear.

But things can, and likely will, get worse. Very well aware of that, she knocks on the bathroom as a courtesy before engaging the door. Kylah does her best to remain calm, at least outwardly, to the two people inside.

Andy Johnson's mouth is tight. Always something going on. Always something going on. It may have been a minute or so since his call to Nia, but Ajay knows he needs to make a move and see what needs to be done about Kylah. After all, who knows what sticky situation she is likely to be in next.

Grabbing a carton of freshly prepared soup from the batch he has been making since the emergency started, he thumbs a quick note to Kylah.

KYLAH - on way round to see how you are recovering. - JOHNSON, A.

The sooner he knows what is going on, the better, at least he hopes that will be the case.

"Forgive me," Kylah starts, her gaze switching from Mrs. Soeryadjaya to Mr. Yarrow and back again. "I must leave for--for what I hope will not be too long. You may both come back out into the quarters, but..."

The communicator in her hand buzzes and she reacts with a jerk of her surprised frame. Ferguson? Is he about to explain why Vargas wishes to see her? Perhaps he is already in the Brig.

Without asking their pardon, Kylah flips open the device and sees Mr. Johnson's name. A brief rush of anger burns her cheeks. He might be responsible for all this. But the message she reads implies some concern. Which could be feigned, of course. Kylah's abysmal record of trusting the wrong person is likely unbroken. Bitter, she lets her thumbs flash out a response.

JOHNSON, ANDREW - Thank you, but as I am about to be escorted by Security to Cmdr. Vargas, no one will be here to greet you. That may not be a surprise. - KYLAH, ENS.

Even as she types desperately she looks back at her guests, her face flushed. She tries to control her galloping emotions and thoughts. "So--so stay here. Wait until I leave before re-entering the quarters. And please, you must be on your guard to avoid any detection of your presence. Do not use the terminal or your communicators. Do not answer any hails at the door."

She glances back in that direction, worried that she will be caught by Mr. Wallach, and backs out into the main area of the cabin. "If anyone does chime, return here and hide at once. Please," she says hurriedly to forestall any objection from the older woman. "I understand all this is undignified. But you know the stakes involved. If you do as I say, you should be all right."

Kylah pauses. If they have any questions or objections, she will have to respond--but she is extremely aware of Mr. Wallach's presence outside.

Kylah by me, Ajay by Ajay.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Soeryadjaya says, "All right, I understand. We'll be quiet as churchmice." Mr. Yarrow nods but says not a word; he doesn't look any more comfortable with the whole situation. The businesswoman goes on, "How long will you be gone? We can get water in the bathroom, but is there any food?" There is no replicator in the cabin (or indeed in any cabin aboard the Yorktown).

The leading bow edge of the shuttle begins to grow a dull red as it enters Novy Rostov's very thin upper atmosphere. There is some buffeting, but Onn tries to keep it to a minimum as the shuttle descends on a long arc towards the colony.

Still, Russell is soon gripping the arms of his chair and begins to turn a little green.

Dr. Bennett asks, not unkindly, "Spacesick?"

The Security man nods, his eyes closed tight.

"Want a shot?"

He nods again, more urgently, still not opening his eyes.

The doctor draws a hypo from the slim, black leather medikit on his hip, selects a dosage, and eases it against Russell's upper arm. The hypo hisses as it pressures the medicine through his skin. Dr. Bennett says, more loudly, "If anyone else needs a dose against spacesickness, just say the word."

Garcia tentatively raises a hand and the doctor gives him one, too. Soon both Russell and Garcia look and feel more at ease.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 28 Jan 2020 at 02:44 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah pauses, holding the communicator in hands clasped prayerfully. "I hope I will be back before you can get hungry. But if they keep me--if I am delayed longer than an hour--"

As she contemplates this, a glance at the terminal reminds her to log out and shut it down. If she has done her job correctly, the bleaching process she began should, as designed, continue to run in obscurity within the Communications directory to which it has access. The virus will seek out any private communications logs that contain the specified keywords and user IDs, and then gobble up the branched conversations both on the server and any active communicators that possess matching characteristics.

It takes just seconds to log out. Kylah hardly dares to believe she might have performed at least this vital task correctly. Thee activities are precisely why she is on board this ship, why she was thrust into the Academy in the first place. But today has been a blur, and everything so rushed...

Meanwhile her mind searches for some answer to the provisions question. Perhaps Lt. Ferguson can help further... assuming he is willing, or indeed able. If not, as a last resort, she will beg a favor from Mr. Johnson, who might feel somewhat guilty for her plight.

Guilty. She is embarrassed by her presumption. Guilty of what? Of doing his duty?

Kylah turns back to the others in the cabin. "If I believe I will not be back by then, I will make sure you receive some food, somehow. And I should amend my instruction. If you do receive a message, or someone tries to enter, you may respond if you hear the name of my House, as before. You can be assured it will be me.. or someone I have entrusted."

At last she sidles to the door. About to open it, she looks back at Mrs. Soeryadjaya and the worryingly silent Mr. Yarrow. They are her responsibility, and the thought of abandoning them curdles her stomach with unease.

Knowing Mr. Wallach is on the other side of the door, Kylah keeps her voce at a whisper. "On second thought, stay in the bathroom until five minutes after I leave. I doubt anyone will bother checking the quarters, but... just in case." Her smile is brief but sincere in its attempt to reassure them. "Be at ease. You will be fine."

If there is nothing else from the others, Kylah will take a deep breath and exit Lt. Onn's cabin.

Ignoring the buzz from the communicator, Ajay slows his stride to a slower walk as he reaches Lt. Onn's quarters only to see one of the awkward squad outside, probably the Security detail Kylah had mentioned.

How best to play this...well as if it is the most natural thing to do in the world, something he has done a hundred times before.

Ajay wanders up, bringing the food front and centre, a slightly tired and harried look on his face, not too far from the truth given the circumstances.

"Hello Mr. Wallach, is everything ok? I've got a little something for the lady inside."

Kylah = me, Ajay = Ajay.
    Last edited by choie; 29 Jan 2020 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Ajay slipped in

Registered
    Sep 2009

Soeryadjaya sighs heavily and nods, and she and Yarrow remain in the bathroom.

Wallach is standing at parade rest, his hands clasped behind his back, by Onn's door. He looks at the food, raises an eyebrow a little and says, "Mr. Johnson, hello. I don't think she's going to have the chance to eat anything, at least not right now. The First Officer wants to see her."

Registered
    Jan 2018

It's been a little while since Rangin had been on a bumpy ride like this, but the time spent on mining shuttles had given him some idea of when to expect. It is also nowhere near as buffeting as the orbital dive he had been injured on.

But he is certainly not going to begrudge the others getting something to make them feel better given that they were heading for a place where everyone would be desperate to get off from. Walking around the colony would be fraught with danger from a nervous population.

Hold on? Why are they walking around? Surely the painting is going to be delivered to the shuttle to minimise any risk?

"Sir?" Rangin calls out to Lt. Graham. "Where are we picking this painting up from? It is the shuttle pad, isn't it?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

One deep breath of preparation. Then Kylah lets the door whoosh open. "Forgive me if I have kept you waiting, Mr. Wallach, I--"

The Security officer is not alone, and the sight of the new arrival freezes her mind until she blurts out: "Mr. Johnson?"

She stares at the young man, probably not much older than herself but able to stand in front of this security officer with infinitely more confidence. Of course, he is not being led away to meet the First Officer.

Although about to ask him why he is here even though she told him she would be gone, Kylah finds her attention captured by the tray in his hands. Her eyes widen and she involuntarily turns back to the cabin--and hungry Mrs. Soeryadjaya. Abruptly she returns to Mr. Johnson. He could not have known Kylah's needs, yet he has anticipated them perfectly.

Despite her dread of what lies in store, the sheer relief Mr. Johnson has brought her is impossible to hide from her gaze, and she even manages a small smile. If Mr. Wallach were not here, and the situation not so dire, Kylah might have kissed Mr. Johnson's hand--the Elasian gesture of gratitude.

"Is that for me?" she asks quietly, afraid she has misunderstood. Her eyes dart to Mr. Wallach. "I--I know I cannot stop for a meal, sir. But... but may I put it back in the cabin? In case I am allowed to return? Or as gratitude to Lt. Onn, if I am not," she adds, looking hopefully back at Mr. Johnson.
    Last edited by choie; 29 Jan 2020 at 10:36 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Wallach says, "Sure, you might as well leave it here." He gestures with his head. "Put it inside, please, Mr. Johnson."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham turns to Nia with obvious admiration as she makes the important point that reading up on Sanctuary just might help when push comes to shove. "Good idea, thank you," he says quietly. "And I'll get a status report from Wallach, see what I can do there," he adds, although at that he sighs and shakes his head.

He's punching up info on Sanctuary when Rangin chimes in. Heh, "sir," that must cheese him off.

"That's right, Mr. Rangin," he says over his shoulder. "Plan is they meet us at the pad." He grunts. "Given how things have been going, let's keep our fingers crossed."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Graham finds no reference at all to sanctuary in the Guide to Starfleet Regulations, Legal Practice, Discipline and Courts-Martial or the Starfleet Judge Advocate General's Handbook, the two most common go-to sources on Fleet law, familiar to most officers. There are other Federation legal sources, of course, if he wishes to delve more deeply into the topic.

Less than seven minutes before the shuttle is due to land, and with the orange-yellow bulk of the planet now filling the bow viewports, Capt. Singh comes over the comm. She says, "Yorktown to Kaku. We've completed the lottery drawing and have now notified all the colonists of the results. Beamup of evacuees has begun and is proceeding smoothly. Public order seems to be holding in the colony, for the most part, but there has been some criminality and some isolated reports of violence. Colonial Security seems to be keeping a grip on things for now, but I advise you to be careful. When you touch down, take custody of the painting, and the painting alone, and return with it immediately. Some may try to force or finagle their way aboard the shuttle, but they are to be turned away with the minimum necessary, if any, use of force. The stellar radiation burst is now an estimated three hours from now, at the earliest. Acknowledge."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah opens her mouth, worried about Mr. Johnson entering the room on his own. She told her guests to stay hidden for a few minutes--will they think she has not yet left?Unfortunately she can think of nothing to say. And Mr. Johnson is far quicker than she is.

"The First Officer eh? It must be important indeed," he comments, "I won't delay too long. Of course, this should be fine for a little while. If not for you then, as you say, I'm sure Lt. Onn will appreciate it when she returns," he quietly asides to Kylah.

Standing opposite her and blocking the view of Mr. Wallace from both of them, he gives Kylah a crafty wink that she hasn't seen since she was nearly assigned to share his quarters.

"If you will excuse me?" he asks while stepping smoothly around her.

She is uncertain what the wink means. But she senses no ill will from him--to the contrary. All she can do is watch him as enters the quarters--watch and hope Mrs. Soeryadjaya remains unseen.

It's been a little while since Ajay has last been in Nia's cabin and he's curious to see if anything has changed since she started screwing Graham. He isn't jealous, she's her own Sidonian after all, he just wants to make sure the is happy and the state if her quarters was always an easy tell.

A glance around shows it in pretty much the state he would expect other than the unmade bed that Kylah had been sleeping in. He slips the tray onto the table and the squares it neatly off, ready to be used by the next person in the room.

"All sorted," he chimes cheerfully, but in hushed tones, as he steps towards the pair. "Hope that migraine of yours clears up soon, there's never a good time to have one."

Kylah manages a nod, but still no words. It is taking all her will not to peer behind Mr. Johnson, to keep from being obvious that she is terrified that the bathroom door will open before it is safe.
    Last edited by choie; 30 Jan 2020 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Choie by me, Ajay by Ajay, forever and ever amen.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Singh's words fill the small shuttle. Nia hears "We've completed the lottery drawing and have now notified all the colonists of the results" and suddenly some invisible hand seems to have strangled her throat closed. Her gaze flicks to Booker--only incredible restraint keeps her from reaching out to him physically, as well.

He's the mission commander. It's up to him to respond to Singh. Is he even now recalculating his plan to get Marala's son on board the shuttle? What was his plan?

Is Marala contacting him too? That poor woman... Maybe she was chosen, maybe...

Nia doesn't like the odds. She waits in silent, sympathetic pain for them all.

+ Reply to thread