+ Reply to thread
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,650 of 2466

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #6: "Marala"

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia's jaw tightens while she listens to Singh. "I'd say it's a guarantee, ma'am. I'd expect even worse than property damage. People can lose all restraint, all control, if they believe their situation's dire enough. Rules vanish without consequences. Or when there's nothing left to lose."

She glances down at the floor for a second, ignoring the shame of what her own people have done in similar--albeit drawn-out--circumstances."Graham will have a security party ready, Captain. Has there been a decision about the..."

Voice dropping off when she catches a glimpse of someone moving behind her, Nia turns to find Rangin, of all people, standing within arm's reach. She frowns, nonplussed, and tilts her head in a silent question. "Um... about the logistics of..." Then she spots the datapad in Rangin's hands, obviously something he wants to show her.

A tight-lipped guy like Ensign Rangin doesn't speak up without something to say. And he looks like he does have something. Her scowl changes to widened, curious eyes, and she reaches her arm out, snapping and waving her hand to non-verbally instruct him to give her the pad. Meanwhile she tries to continue her side of the conversation.

"Sorry, Captain, I've just...been handed something..." At last she snatches the proffered datapad and flips it around to read, scanning what turns out to be a report as rapidly as possible. Once she gets the gist, her eyes open even wider.

"I was just about to ask about the logistics of the lottery," she says slowly while still frantically reading, every now and then looking up at Rangin with a sense of wonder and gratitude. "And now I'm reading a new report..."

Wait. There must be a reason Rangin isn't just sending this to Roble or Cheverez, or even going directly to Singh. Nia doesn't get it, but he must want her to relay this instead of him.

She peers again at the text and chart on the pad in an effort to understand and pass along the data he's come up with. "This'll just take a second, ma'am? I think--I know you'll want to hear this."
    Last edited by choie; 04 Jun 2019 at 12:41 AM.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

"So, Faisal, do you want to take charge of Sarafina? The other option I have in mind is St. Croix. She seems solid, I want to give her a chance to grow."

He rubs his forehead. "Let's head up to the bridge. I'm worried about the colony...not--I mean, duh. Worried about evac. How the hell doesn't all heal break loose when things get down to the wire. I know a--"

He shakes his head. "I need to find out what the plan is. If you ask me we have to take all the kids. I think assholes will get desperate if they're gonna get left behind. Taking the kids is the only way decent people don't get desperate."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Listening to the one-sided conversation between Lt. Onn and the captain, Kylah is startled by the young officer sent to relieve her. "Thank you, I was not expecting you so quickly. I have not had a chance to ask..."

She spies Velir as he stands, then heads over to Lt. Onn with his datapad. Now she is conflicted: torn between her desperation to fulfill her uncle's command, and the desire to see Velir succeed or console him if his plan is rejected.

His back is to her. His eyes are only for the Lieutenant, who just yanked the datapad from him. Their mutual hope surrounds and encases them, as electrified as a shield.

Kylah is suddenly struck with awareness. This is her opportunity to leave without waiting for Lt. Onn's permission, without having to tell an obvious lie in front of Velir. Neither will notice her if she goes.

It is an egregious breach of protocol. But so is everything she must do this day. What does it matter if they add a mere 'leaving her post' or 'insubordination' to the charges that are inevitable if she is caught? Her career, her entire life in the Federation, will be over.

The Ensign stands before her, polite and unassuming. When she recalls his words, another little piece of the puzzle falls into place. Fate seems determined to make it far too easy to betray her beliefs, to disregard her oath, to make a deal with the devil.

She rises from her chair very slowly, taking her own datapad. "Ensign... Patel, you said?" she murmurs. "I cannot disturb Lt. Onn now. Please, when she is available, could you pass along Lt. Thalen's message? Those exact words--that he sent you to relieve me, and so on? Thank you."

Clutching the datapad to her chest, Kylah avoids eye contact with anyone and sidles her way to the Bridge's exit. With each step she prays she can slip out of the Bridge successfully--and, simultaneously, hopes something, somehow, will prevent her from the repugnant task she must undertake.
    Last edited by choie; 04 Jun 2019 at 12:43 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Mahmoud says to Graham, "I'll take command if you want, Book, or if Onn or the Captain order it, but I'm pretty sure there are better-qualified people for it." You both reach the Sarafina's Bridge. St. Croix is still there, as are now Lt. Kendin, an Algolian in Command yellow, another redshirt and someone in Science blue, neither of whom Graham knows. They are familiarizing themselves with the controls. It already feels crowded in there.

Ens. Patel nods and says, "Certainly, Mr. Kylah. Take your time." He sits down at the Communications console and immediately begins reviewing its log.

As Kylah steps into the turbolift, a Galley steward is stepping out, a large tray of sandwiches, coffee and other drinks in his hands.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Algolian
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Unnamed_Algolians
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 04 Jun 2019 at 11:34 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia reads the figures and tries to digest them, and since the Captain hasn't told her not to, she continues. "It’s a proposal for optimizing the evacuee count. Apparently if we play with the randomizer's algorithm... weighting it slightly for families with children... children," she repeats, looking up to stare straight at Rangin with comprehension. "Because obviously, smaller people mean less strain on the LS system and resources. Which means we can fit more. Save more."

Unable to help herself, she flashes a grin at the young science officer, which pretty clearly translates to Rangin, if you didn't hate me, and I wasn't falling for a guy who I kinda want to be monogamous with, I would be so on top of you right now...

At Lt Onn’s glance, Rangin nods assertively. It seems she has already picked up the main issue with his findings and if he can just get her to agree and by extension, the other main players, he will feel mightily relieved. However, he has seen that kind of semi-interested gaze before and while she is definitely striking, Graham would kill him if he even though about her in that way.

He decides that staying quiet is probably the best way forward, giving no hint that he is even noticing her smile. After all, she is the Captain on the bridge and this probably isn’t the place for that kind of conversation.

Nia hurries on, aware that both Singh and the governor are committed to absolute random selection. But they can't be so stubborn...can they?

"I know it makes the lottery slightly less random, gives families better odds. But the Governor's chosen to keep families together, and that's already putting a thumb on the scale in favor of two-parents-with-children units. This isn't much worse. Besides," she adds with an arched eyebrow at Rangin from her superior height. “Single adults can be small too.

"The point is to save as many as we can. And according to several tests we--” No, a strategy this clever deserves a name attached to it. "--According to tests [i]Ensign Rangin[i] ran, this formula means we can save an additional..." Nia’s gaze finally reaches the relevant figure.

She deflates, now searching Rangin's face. Forty-two?! The vibes she gets from him confirm that she's not misreading things. He's as disappointed as she is. Probably more.

Alongside Lt. Onn, Rangin nods again when she first mentions the number, only this time, acknowledging the meagre outcome of the program, which given the circumstances is still better than nothing, but still leaves him thinking that he should be able to find more.

Nia swallows. Well, she's not gonna make a junior officer feel like crap when he's actually managed to add to the vital survivor count. Straightening, she nods at him encouragingly as she rushes on.

"We can save approximately forty-two people. It sounds tiny given the population, but if I was one of those forty-two... I can't even fathom how grateful I'd feel, how miraculous it'd be."

She doesn't need to imagine, not with her history. But she doesn't blur the issue with personal appeals. "And it's not insignifigant. It's 20% of what the Sarafina can hold, and we've used our resources and time to retrieve it..."

Even as the words leave her, Nia frowns in a sudden thought. She scans the pad again, hunting for… No, she doesn't see it. She needs to ask Rangin, and stalls for time, talking a bit more about how important every life is, all the while peering intently at Rangin and, when she pauses for a breath, Nia gives a quick jerk of her head toward the viewscreen and mouths: Does this include the Sarafina?"

Still paying close attention to Lt Onn, Rangin catches what she is trying to say and then nods twice quickly. Even including the Sarafina the result was still low, but he could understand why she asked, just in case it had been missed.

Damn. Nia’s brain spews several more curses, but she keeps her expression relatively neutral as she nods back at Rangin. "Captain, do you think this is something the Governor might consider? I'll send you the report, and whatever Cmdr. Roble says, assuming he's seen..."

At the start of this sentence she expected the answer to be yes, of course, but the longer she looks at Rangin, the more she suspects the answer is um, no. "Er... assuming he sees the research and agrees. And Chief Cheverez, obviously."

Rangin shakes his head, leaving Lt Onn in no doubt that she is the first person seeing the results Rangin had come up with. And yet here she is talking to Captain Singh about them, and leaving Rangin to feel small for not being able to do better, even given Lt Onn’s unexpected support, and wondering if he made the right choice. Oh well, if it means saving even a few more people, even one as Kylah said, then it’s worth it.

Nia knows she can't keep filibustering the Captain's time. Any more persuasive arguments can wait if, or when, Singh shoots her down.

"Ma'am," she says, respectfully but resolutely. "Permission to have Ensign Rangin send this proposal to you and the other related department chiefs?"

Rangin by Rangin, Nia by me.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 04 Jun 2019 at 11:05 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

As the steward passes by, Kylah inhales the scent of bread, meat, coffee. She watches it longingly, only now acknowledging just how hungry she is. Maybe she can just reach out and grab a sandwich--

No. I cannot. She turns away and walks forward. Truth is, part of the gnawing hole in her stomach is anxiety. Dread, too. If she ate now she would only waste the food in the nearest bathroom.

At least this decision is her own. Over the past few months, maintaining control over her body has become paramount. The more discipline, the more power she exerts, the better.

She clasps the turbolift handle with cold, white-knuckled fingers, then recites the necessary deck number for her destination.
    Last edited by choie; 04 Jun 2019 at 11:24 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Singh says thoughtfully, "Well, that's not much of a difference, given the numbers we've discussed up to now, but you're right that it would certainly mean a lot to those it saved." She pauses. "Yes, send the proposal to me, the Science Officer and the Chief Engineer; tell them to use discretion but that they may share it with anyone else they see fit. I'll run it by the Governor. Keep it under your hat otherwise. Anything else, Mr. Onn?"

The steward makes his rounds of the Bridge, offering food and drink to anyone who might wish it.

Sooner than she might have wished, Kylah finds herself outside living quarters 7B41 - Deck 7, starboard bow, compartment 41.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 04 Jun 2019 at 11:37 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham puts a hand on Mahmoud's shoulder. "There'll be 200 lives plus entrusted to this ship and her crew. Until Old Man Vargas decides otherwise, my opinion matters and there's no one I'd trust more for their care. Pick the Security team you need, the others can return to Yorktown," Graham says quietly to his old friend.

"Mr. Faisal will take charge of Security on the Sarafina," he says more loudly, for the benefit of everyone on the bridge.

Assuming he's not otherwise occupied, Graham text Onn. "Returning to ship. Would like to discuss Security prep for colony evac."

He then intends to hail Yorktown for transport.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Got it, Book," Mahmoud murmurs. "And good luck."

Lt. Kendin says, "Thank you, Mr. Graham. I have been assigned to command the prize crew. Mr. Mahmoud will do a fine job leading the Security detail, I'm sure."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 05 Jun 2019 at 10:09 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

After a pause that lasted only two or three seconds--but felt like hours--Nia hears the Captain's words.

And then her intense gaze, which has been locked on Rangin's rather attractive eyes as they waited in mutual hope, melts into a radiant smile.

"Yes, Captain. I mean... no, Captain, there's nothing else. I'll have Rangin send the report immediately." She nods--probably unnecessary given her demeanor--and beams pride and respect at the junior officer. You did this, Rangin. You.

"Thank you, ma'am." Cool, collected. Ain't no big thing. "I hope to have a response soon about the status of the Sarafina. I'll keep you updated, of course."

The ship's name is barely spoken when her communicator buzzes in her hand. A text message is waiting for her. Nia wraps things up with Singh, and her tone sobers while turning away from Rangin, looking at the floor. "And... and Captain, if your status changes... regarding safety..." Nia's voice is too soft for anyone but Rangin to hear her. "Just say the word and the Yorktown will be back in ten minutes."
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 05 Jun 2019 at 09:15 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Thank you, Mr. Onn," the Captain says. "But the sooner, the better, regardless of whether we're in any danger here. Singh out."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 05 Jun 2019 at 11:39 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

The words still resonating in her head, Nia turns to Rangin, who must know the response she's received. "All right, I did the hard work," she says with a sideways smile. "Now you get the easy part of triple-checking your algorithm and data and sending it to the Captain, Cheverez and Roble. Piece of cake."

She maintains her smile but lowers her voice. "In all seriousness. If they accept this and pull it off, you're a hero. In my eyes and the ship's. I know that's not why you did it," she adds quickly. "I just want you to know you have my respect and gratitude. In fact that's true even if they don't agree."

Nia pauses. "Um... but the Captain wants this kept quiet for now. I guess she doesn't want to get hopes up. Although that particular genie's out of the bottle." Her glance takes in the crew nearest to her, Leventhal, Bennett and Jones. They must've heard all this. To them all, she asks for their discretion, ending with:

"If word gets out before they approve... and especially if they eventually don't, for whatever reason... well, it's gonna be a disappointment and maybe anger. We don't need that from the crew when we're already facing it from the population themselves. Got it?"

Her communicator in her left hand, Nia extends her right to Rangin. "Good work, Ensign Rangin. Now let's get that report to the bigwigs. If you will, send me a copy, too?"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel is disgusted by what he is seeing. The place stunk of God knows what, whatever medical supplies they had were either used or ruined and not properly disposed of. He’s seen better kept Sickbays in times of battle. Well, he had a job to do, such as it was. Best to get it done quickly and get the hell out of here.

“Take an inventory of what’s left.” Nathaniel orders his team. “If there is anything left.”

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Yes, sir," Dr. Bennett's two Medical assistants say as they get to work.

Onn notices another officer is now at the Communications console. "Ens. Patel, ma'am," he says, introducing himself. He passes along Kylah's message to her, as promised.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 07 Jun 2019 at 01:41 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin cannot help but follow along with Lt Onn's infectious smile and he can feel the muscles like piano wires across his shoulders slowly loosen as he relaxes. He is relieved that this is as far as he can take it, getting in front of the people who matter and giving them the option. If they choose not to accept, at least he can say that he tried. For a moment he wonders why her hand is extended, being the Captain and all, and when he figures it out a slow flush crosses his face as he shakes her hand firmly. Hopefully, between them, they can make if work.

Rangin releases her hand and stands back to attention. "Thank you ma'am. I couldn't have asked for more.", he says genuinely meaning the gratitude he feels towards her for giving him the opportunity. "I'll send those proposals out now." He nods again and then heads back to the Science console.

He goes back through the computations and data one last time, confirming to himself that the answer hasn't changed in some way. He checks the precis and summary to giving his overview and then sends the resulting proposal out to the Captain, Cmdr Cheverez and Cmdr Roble. Then, to the one he is sending to Lt Onn, he adds a brief note:
    Lt. Onn. You asked for a crazy plan and out of the box thinking, so I hope this will suffice. Thank you for your support, it means a lot to me. Ens. Rangin.
    before sending it off.

He sits back in his seat relieved he has done something, but wondering what he can do next; the Sarafina is secure, there is little more he can do about lottery and that's it.

He accepts some food and coffee as it goes round, relaxes slightly and looks round the bridge. Forty-two people if they agree to it, although there is no guarantee they would. Actually he should let Kylah know, after all she did come round to talk to him, but he had been too wrapped up in the results.

As she said, being able to save forty two more people is still a good thing and he no longer needs to hide it as he had earlier. Rangin stops. He had been shy of it earlier and the first person to know would have been Lt Onn, when he showed her the proposal, so how had Kylah found out? Easy enough to discover, she is only over the the Comms desk.

Rangin looks up across still feeling happy only to see it is not Kylah there, but someone else. He looks round the bridge, but cannot see any sight of her. He shakes his head at her absence, he is sure she had been there only a few minutes ago. Where has she gone?

Registered
    Apr 2015

In the process of reading Graham's message, Nia is struck by the new voice--and new face--at the Comms station. "Okaay," she says, trying not to look annoyed at Thalen's deciding to have Kylah relieved without telling Nia. And even more annoyed by Kylah not telling Nia herself. "Glad to have you up here, Ens. Patel."

She sits back down in the big chair and at last reads Booker's note. Wait, why is he leaving? Well, he's in charge of security, I guess he can shift the players around. But right on top of Thalen doing the same thing, Nia feels a tad disgruntled.
    Whatever you think best, Book. You handled everything over there even better than expected. And I'm damn glad you're returning from a mission without wounds this time.
    Nia returns her communicator to her side and goes back to using her trusty chair mic. "Yorktown to Sarafina Bridge. We have twenty-five minutes tops to get this ship back in shape for a long, fast journey. Engineers, the shields are first priority. As soon as we get them online, we're heading back. Let me know status and time estimates, please."

After a long breath, Nia realizes food's nearby. She looks around hungrily to find the tray (and/or steward, if he's still here).
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 07 Jun 2019 at 08:48 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Captain and other senior officers' comm accounts automatically acknowledge receipt of Onn's report.

The Galley steward is still there on the Bridge. He sees Onn looking around and steps over with the tray and a smile. There are several different kinds of sandwiches and drinks on the tray, including flasks of hot coffee and tea. "I can get you something else, ma'am, if you don't see anything you'd like," the steward says.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 07 Jun 2019 at 09:06 PM.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

While his team sorted through the mess and catalogued whatever is possible, Nathaniel finds the computer and hopes it might contain more information on what the ship Sickbay has.... or maybe what was once here. He doubts if they kept accurate or updated records. But, he thinks, as he turns on the computer he has to make the effort to find out and much as he possibly can.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ens. Alvarez reports, "There's a civilian first-aid kit which looks mostly complete, sir, and a set of obsolete but still usable surgical tools, both edged and energy. They're in sterile holding cases and look like they've never been used. That's about it."

The Sickbay terminal is just for access to the Sarafina's ship's computer and not specifically for medical use. It does not have any medical-related records which Dr. Bennett can find.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Picking whichever sandwich has the most meat on it, Nia nods gratefully at the steward. "Thanks. Any chance of a canteen of icy water?"

While she chomps on the sandwich she glances through the acknowledgments, she winces. Shit. Why are they calling this my report? Ugh. So much for any detente she and Rangin achieved.

Well, hang on, she tells herself. Maybe they didn't copy him and he won't know. She tilts her head back to see Rangin's expression--if it's annoyed, he probably received the notification.

Of course even if he doesn't know that they've somehow mis-attributed the report to her, she does, and she'll make sure to correct the others when there's more time. Speaking of which...

She checks the time to see her deadline for leaving--30 minutes from now.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 09 Jun 2019 at 10:17 PM. Reason: speelling iz harrd.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The steward, having made the rounds of the Bridge and provided food and drink to whoever wanted any, says eagerly, "I'll get you some ice-cold water and be back on the double, ma'am." He turns and heads for the turbolift.

Lt. Vielar, Assistant Chief Engineer of the Yorktown and the top Engineering officer now aboard the Sarafina, reports to Onn, "Good news, Lieutenant. The engines are in decent shape, although they could do with an overhaul. The primary deflectors took a pounding from our torpedoes and need at least 20 hours' work. The navigational deflectors are all right, though. We could return to Novy Rostov now, if you like."

Registered
    Jan 2018

While wondering where Kylah is, Rangin sees the notifications come back in for the proposal he sent out. All acknowledging Lt. Onn's report and his jaw drops. He shakes his head in total disbelief although he can see that Lt Onn has yet to reply. Chances are she has already let the others know and is going to take the credit.

Typical, just typical, although he would have expected a lot more from Roble at least. What was the point? Feeling frustrated that the work he is doing is now being credited to someone else. If he went back and checked the biosensor work he had done a little while ago, it was probably being lauded as that scientist's work, with himself as a footnote, with maybe a word of thanks for being part of the team.

Well, guess that's the last time he even considers trusting her. Even in saving people on the planet, looks like she is supporting Graham all the way. So much for that little chat from earlier. Looking up he notices Lt Onn looking in his general direction, well let her look as he can't help fuming at her before turning back to the Science console.

Rangin wonders what she will have him do for an encore, and wishes he is elsewhere. Perhaps the Science area would be a lot more welcoming than the Bridge. Actually, if he wants to get out of here, he may as well find out where Kylah went and give her the news about the proposal. He quietly asks the computer for her location, stretching one's legs may not be the worst idea after all.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia can see from Rangin's stiff spine, and his turning to her with hard-set jaw, that he's probably a bit irked. She sighs and, flipping open the cover to the keypad in her chair, starts a quick note to the departments recognizing Rangin for coming up with the proposal. Then she hears Vielar's report.

At once she closes the keypad--that message can certainly wait--and sits up with a smile. "Thank you, Lt. Vielar. That's better than I hoped for. Normally I'd be worried about those primaries, but in the unlikely event any hostiles show up to target the Sarafina, she's got a helluva bodyguard in the Yorktown. Stand by."

She looks at Bennett and Leventhal. "Bennett, plot a course back to the planet. Leventhal, we're gonna need to stick to a reasonable speed so the Sarafina can keep up. Remind me, how fast were they going when we were chasing them, again? If we maintain that speed, what's our ETA?"

While Horst works that out--probably will only take a couple of seconds--Nia returns to the mic.

"Onn to Lt. Kendin. You've probably already heard, but your Engineering chief says that as far as she's concerned, you're okay to go. How are things on the Bridge? Any reason you need more time?" Frowning a little, Nia taps her finger on the chair. Shouldn't Booker have arrived yet? "Also, has everyone who plans to beam back to the Yorktown made the trip?"

Again she checks the time, having been distracted earlier.

Hey for realsies, may I get a time check? I've lost track entirely of what time of day we're even in. IIRC Novy Rostov differs from ship time, as it was night time when the landing party arrived.
    Last edited by choie; 12 Jun 2019 at 12:17 AM. Reason: forgot vielar's gender1

Registered
    Sep 2009

Graham beams back to the Yorktown and texts Onn when he has done so.

Rangin is able to locate Kylah's communicator on Deck 7, starboard bow. That section of the ship, he knows, is mostly officers' quarters.

"Course plotted and laid in, Mr. Onn," Bennett says crisply, her slim hands ready atop the Nav console.

Leventhal says, "They were doing Warp 5 before, when we were chasing them, ma'am."

Lt. Kendin reports from the Sarafina, "I concur with Lt. Vielar, ma'am. There is more work to be done to make this ship ready for evacuees, of course, but that can be done en route and once we've returned to NR orbit. At Warp 5.7, which she tells me we can make with an acceptable safety margin, we can be back there in just under 15 minutes." He speaks to someone off-mic. "No one is still aboard who wishes to return to the Yorktown at this time, as far as I know, ma'am."

It is now 1033 ship's time. The lethal radiation burst will be in four to six hours, according to the best estimates of Lt. Bancroft and the Yorktown's Science Department.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 17 Jun 2019 at 11:10 AM. Reason: revised time

Registered
    May 2013

Graham heads to the Bridge. He's not clear on the final method arrived at to choose who to evacuate, and he needs to find out. Both because he's worried about the Security situation if it's something people will rebel against, and because of his promise to Marala.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Graham finds himself on a turbolift with a Mess steward carrying something. Onn hears the Bridge's turbolift doors whoosh open, and Graham and the steward step out. The steward goes straight to Onn and, with a smile, hands her a small Starfleet-issue thermos flask of very cold water.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 12 Jun 2019 at 10:13 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

The corridor seems both strange and familiar, since one Constitution-class hallway looks like all the others. Kylah stands at the door, looking back and forth to double-check no one can see her.

Of course, there would be less risk if she could just bolster her courage enough to place her hand on the door signal.

Fate is truly unfathomable. Unfathomable and cruel. Or perhaps it just has a sick sense of humor. Kylah suspects it is all three. How else to describe fate leading her here, forcing her here?

In the end it does not matter; she will accept how repugnant this scheme is, because she must. No, it is not even a scheme, merely a vague idea, born of both logic and desperation. She needs to get someone onto the ship. He can do it.

Closing her eyes and summoning her inner Elasian, she raises her hand and presses her palm on the pad.

"Come," she hears a voice--his voice, that voice she knows all too well--from inside, and the door opens.

She allows herself one last hesitation. Entering these quarters does not seem safe. But if she stays in the hall, she might be seen. A fleeting thought recalls her recommendation to Lt. Graham for security cameras, and the irony strikes her. This venture would not be possible if there were electronic eyes all over the ship.

Bracing herself just as she did before leaping out during orbital skydiving, Kylah walks into the cabin. She goes in only far enough for the door to whoosh shut behind her. When she spots him, he is sitting at his quarters' small desk, looking at the Library Computer terminal.

"Lieuten--" she croaks out, then clears her throat for another try. "Lieutenant."

Engineering Lt. JG Mark Ferguson looks up, and after an initial expression of what could only be described as astonishment, a sly, predatory smile spreads across his face. "Well, well - if it isn't my favorite alien princess! To what do I owe the honor of a royal visit?"

A swell of anger heats Kylah's face, but she must ignore his goading. She has no choice.

It takes several seconds for her to get the words out. "I... I need help. A favor. A significant favor. And you are the only person I can ask..." She swallows and manages to add, "... sir."

The transporter specialist looks at her speculatively for an uncomfortably long moment, then says, "Hang on a second, let me finish this." He taps on the terminal a few times, looks it over, and then turns back to her. He crosses his legs and folds his hands atop his knees. "All right, Mr. Kylah. Now you have my undivided attention. What sort of favor were you thinking of?"

Kylah's palms rub each other to warm up. "I am trusting you, Lt. Ferguson," she murmurs. "You know I would not be here if I could find anyone else. I--"

A sudden concern strikes her. His turning to "finish" something... sending some command... Kylah's gaze homes in on whatever she can see of his screen, which is not much. The terminal...

She edges closer to the door and whispers: "Are you recording this?"

He rolls his eyes. "Paranoid much? No, I'm not recording it."

"You must not, I--I will not stay--this must be confidential. It is a risk for both of us. You could arrange things so that there is no trace for anyone to follow. You are good at your job."

Flattering him makes her teeth itch, but the truth is, she believes he is skilled. Just as Darren Zweller possesses extraordinary skills, which is why he was Academy valedictorian. But Kylah learned as a child that talent and honor are two entirely different qualities. Many people, probably most, exhibit one but not both.

"Well, it's nice to be appreciated," he says. "But what, exactly, do you need from me? Get to the point, would you?"

Desperate to hold onto dwindling courage, Kylah takes deep breaths.

Kylah by me, Ferguson by Elendil's Heir

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia hears the swoosh of the doors and glances with pleasure at the new arrivals. But after a I'll-be-right-with-you nod, she focuses on the Sarafina's new temporary master.

"Excellent, Kendin. About that speed, though... I know it's an excess of caution, and thus completely unlike me, but I'd like to keep the throttle down at warp 5.5. We know Bell was doing his damnedest to escape, so if he could only push her up to 5.7 it's a safe bet that's her limit. The slightly lower speed won't cause a significant delay."

She aims her next words at the pair at the Helm as well as the crew on the smaller ship. "Horst, bring her around. Kendin--we'll lead, so you can follow in our wake. Anything hitting us'll be disintegrated before the Sarafina gets to it. No sense in putting more strain on those shields. You all right with that, Kendin?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 13 Jun 2019 at 01:42 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kendin says, "Capt. Bell never exceeded Warp 5 while we pursued him. But we will go at whatever speed you wish, ma'am." He adds wryly, as Algolians are wont to do, "And certainly we'd be glad to follow such a fine starship anywhere."

Leventhal works the helm. "Coming about, aye, ma'am." Onn can just feel the Yorktown deck turning beneath her feet, as the stars on the main viewscreen wheel about and the Sarafina passes out of sight.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

"That's it? Nothing else? Great. The computer was useless as well." Nathaniel mutters. "Sounds like this trip was a big waste of time."

I just hope we can get back to the Yorktown, he thinks. I sure as hell don't want to have to stay aboard this pit on this trip back to disaster.

He goes to a communicator and taps it to speak to Nia aboard the other ship.

Registered
    Apr 2015

"Thanks, Leventhal," Nia says, glad to get a different view on her screen. She raises an eyebrow at Kendin's words. "And right you are, Kendin, so my thanks to you, too.

"Bearing that in mind, let's drop to 4.9, Lieutenant. Bell presumably knew his ship's capabilities, and if he wasn't willing to push 'em faster when he was in fear of losing his precious cargo, there must be a reason why. Horst, take note, and let's start this convoy."

Nia's palm feels the buzz of the communicator under her hand. Since everyone she absolutely needs to speak to is accounted for, she lets it wait for a second. At last she takes in both the steward and Booker--the latter looking and, to be honest, smelling a bit worse for wear. Good grief, what foul crap have they been transporting on that ship?

"Well, aren't you a sight for sore eyes? Didn't realize how thirsty I was till just now." The words, of course, are aimed at both men along with her welcoming smile.

She thanks the steward and asks his name while accepting the thermos, ostensibly ignoring Booker. But during the exchange with the steward, her fingers take a languid journey absently up and down the metal tube. Then she unscrews the cap and takes a healthy swallow of deliciously cold water. "Hits the spot. Send my regards to the chef when you see him."

Registered
    Sep 2009

The steward, apparently pleased to be asked, introduces himself as Crewman/3 Bill Sawyer.

"Warp 4.9, acknowledged," Kendin says from the merchantman. "We're ready when you are, ma'am."

"Warp 4.9, aye," Leventhal says. "Engaging... now."

The USS Yorktown, followed by the SS Sarafina, leap into warp, heading back towards the beleaguered colony.

Onn's communicator shakes again.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's clears his throat and shakes himself clear of staring at Onn and wondering if her, uh, savoring her thermos full of water was just his imagination of something directed at him ..

"Ah, have we had any good news at all about evacuating the colony...ma'am?" he asks the acting captain.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin's position seems to go from bad to worse. No sooner has the senior officers started thanking Lt Onn for his proposal, Graham decides to enter the bridge. Any chance of him staying on the Sarafina obviously non-existent more's the pity. The last place he wants to be is on the Bridge with Graham and Onn lording it over all and sundry, talking a walk about now is a good idea, especially with things quiet at the moment. A five or ten minute break to freshen up is a good idea.

But short of a summons from some other part of the ship, it seems unlikely that he is going to have the opportunity for a slightly extended break.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The stars stream by on the Yorktown Bridge's main viewscreen. The Sarafina is keeping up astern, just off the port quarter.

Rangin's communicator beeps.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 19 Jun 2019 at 09:08 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

After thanking Mr. Sawyer again, Nia gladly turns to Booker while taking hold of her communicator. "No good news--no real news at all. They haven't performed the lottery yet. The best news is that we're headed in the right direction with the prize we came for." As she meets Booker's gaze, the weight of her pride, relief and gratitude are nearly tangible. "Well done, Lt. Graham," she says quietly. "Two hundred people will owe you their lives."

The vibrating communicator at last forces her attention. She apologizes to Booker as she flips it open to discover that the call is from Dr. Bennett. For a second she feels a lurch of concern about de la Paz's status before remembering that the new doc is on the Sarafina, not in Sickbay.

Still, if he's contacting her directly rather than Villa or--crap, she's already forgotten the name of Kylah's replacement--well, anyway, she figures if he's contacting the acting captain of the ship this must be something pretty important. "Yes, Doctor. Is there something wrong?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Uncomfortable in Ferguson's quarters, Kylah twists her fingers until they are nearly knotted together. His asking for the details of this favor is natural. She has no choice but to trust him.

Still, it strikes her that he seems to be incredibly placid during a time when others are doing their best to make room for the evacuees. "Do you know what is happening back at the colony? That there will be a lottery to choose who may board the Yorktown?" His expression gives nothing away. "Do you--do you know if you will be on duty during the evacuation? Because if you are--"

"Yes, I'll be on duty," Ferguson says. "Transporter Room 6."

Kylah takes a ragged inward breath. You decided to do this. Show your spine. At last she blurts: "I have learned that a family friend is on the planet. A dear family friend and colleague. And while she might be picked to evacuate, she might not. I need a contingency plan if she is unfortunate in the lottery."

She takes a step closer. "That is why I thought of you. You will be the means of escape for dozens, hundreds. What is one more--" The callous omission of the woman's assistant nags at her. "Or two more people? I have no idea how you could arrange this, if you could beam up before, during, even in-between sanctioned transports. But... transporting is your area of expertise, not mine."

"I don't know," Ferguson says slowly. "I could get in a lot of trouble for bringing aboard an unauthorized civilian. Nobody's supposed to come aboard who doesn't make the cut in the lottery."

You could get in trouble for many reasons, Kylah thinks in resentment. But in the end, she cannot argue with him.

"I know. And I know what I am asking is wrong." She stops her hands from fidgeting by clasping them tightly together. "Of course you would be taking a big risk. But if we are caught out, I will accept all the blame. I swear this to you. You could say you were misled, that I lied to you... that I told you they were ordered on board by the Captain. They can put me in the Brig, they can court-martial me..."

Kylah takes another deep breath while stiffly shaking her head. "That does not matter. As long as my uncle's--my friends are onboard the Yorktown or Sarafina when we leave, I do not care what Starfleet does to me."

"'Friends'? Plural? I thought you just said one."

Kylah flushes and looks away. "At first, yes, but I did correct myself and said two. The other is her--her child." She hopes the assistant is younger. "But as far as getting caught: I think it could be kept secret. With so much occurring right now, certainly when we get back to the planet... it might be possible to use the transporter and obfuscate the activity among various tests and preparations."

She looks around his quarters, desperately thinking of ideas. "Is there a way to--to pretend you are just testing the transporter? Part of your preparation. Beam someone out, then beam them back again. If I volunteered, could Mrs.--my friends secretly beam back with me? Could their signal be hidden--or explained away as a glitch?"

"Maybe," he says. "Just maybe. But how can I trust you? How do I know this isn't just you trying to get back at me?"

She hesitates, because this is a good question. "I do not know," she admits candidly. "Except that despite everything you have said, all you have done to harass me since I first arrived... I have never reported you, or exacted revenge. Why would I do so now, in such dire circumstances? Using people who fear for their lives? Even you cannot think so little of me. Besides, my friend is connected to me and my family. She knows the truth. Revealing her identity will place the blame where it belongs."

Kylah finally meets his gaze again. "I am sincere, Mr. Ferguson. I will not tell anyone. I can keep a secret. As you know," she says steadily, trying not to glare. "I can hide them in my quarters, I will sleep three in my bed, I will--I will do whatever I have to."

She takes another step closer, drawn in by the sheer need to get her point across. "Please, sir... will you consider this? It is life or death. I must help them. You cannot understand how much this will mean to me."

Ferguson by Elendil's Heir, Kylah and her multitude of stupid decisions by choie
    Last edited by choie; 19 Jun 2019 at 04:58 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2018

The sight of Graham makes Rangin realise one thing that he has done, this time by accidental design. When looking at the list of people who could be saved with his plan, he could not help by notice Marala's name in it, alongside that of a son. And the chances of Graham finding out that Rangin is responsible, let alone being grateful for the fact, are miniscule given that Lt Onn is taking credit. It's probably why she did it, she could probably get anything from Graham in favours if he thought she is fixing the lottery to save his friend.

The beeping of Rangin's communicator stirs him from his general grumbling about the unfairness of life, the universe and everything. He's not expecting anyone to be in contact with him and he looks down to see who it is.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin sees it is a text: Ens. Rangin: We haven't met, but I hope you can help me get off Novy Rostov. It is vitally important that I return to Earth. Please contact me, by voice or text, and let's discuss how you can assist me. I will make it very worth your while. Thank you! WALTER HARRIS.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham almost smiles as Nia speaks with him--not because he actually feels like he ought to pound his chest over seizing a crappy freighter from a few scungy assholes, but because she seems obviously proud of him. But it fades fast.

Lottery? He's having a hard time swallowing randomly picking people. Not just because of Marala and her son--but in general. How the hell do we contemplate leaving kids behind? Who would go along with that?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Ferguson looks at Kylah speculatively. "Let's say I agree to this, just for the sake of argument. I'd be sticking my neck out pretty far. You're telling me how much it would mean to you - but how much would it be worth to you?"

Relief almost overwhelms her. If he is negotiating, he will at least consider it. "Of course I would not ask this of you without a reward," she says fervently, words pouring out in a rush. "You know who I am, you know my family. I promise we will compensate you most generously. Thousands and thousands of credits, or whatever currency you choose. And my friend is wealthy too. She would want to repay you, I am sure!"

Excited, Kylah reaches her arm out, lifting her communicator as if proving its existence. "In fact, I can transfer something to you now. A deposit, to show my gratitude and good faith. Let me give you part of whatever you want, and once they are safely onboard--"

He holds up his hands, halting her. "All right, princess, slow down," he says after a long pause. "I'll do it. But it's going to cost you. I'll take a million Federation credits now, and another million once I've beamed them aboard." He grins savagely. "Because, of course, I know who you are, and I know your family."

Kylah's heart sinks, and she hugs the communicator to her breast as if Ferguson is likely to steal it.

"But that is unreasonable," she says slowly, then hastens to add. "Not that their lives are not worth it. I mean... they are, and the risk you are taking is significant, but still... "

She purses her lips while calculating. "I suppose the total could be possible, I will have to contact my Guardian. But even as the chief Regency Councilor, he will have to exchange our currency. Elas is still in final negotiations with the Federation, and have not converted to their--your standards. It will take a few days at least..."

He is frowning. She looks down at the device in her hands, her thumb tracing the metal as if polishing it, and calculates what she has remaining in her account. "But if you need a deposit... I can give you what I have now. I am afraid it is not much. I lost thousands back on Anubis when I tried to--when I was kidnapped."

Kylah does not want to linger too long on that event, so she just blinks and shakes her head. "Would you take eight thousand credits now, and the rest in a few days?" she says, lifting her head to look hopefully at Ferguson. "Eight thousand is far short of a million, I know, but it is all I have to give you."

Ferguson looks her over, rubs his chin, and then smiles again, that same smug, wolfish smile she hates. "All right. I'll probably regret it later - hell, I regret it now! - but all right. Eight thousand now; two million after I do the job. And one more thing, princess..."

When he stops, Kylah urges him on. "What? What more could you possibly--"

"You have to share my bed for five hours, and do whatever I want, sometime in the next month. I'll swear by my Starfleet oath that I won't injure you, not physically at least, and you have to make the same promise - by whatever Elasians hold dearest. Do we have a deal?"

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin looks at the text message he has just received and a prickle slowly runs down his spine as he recognises someone wanting off planet. But why contact him, he isn't making any decisions, all he has done is submit the proposal for the lottery.

. . . The proposal which would have his name on it and have gone planetside to the Captain and the Governor, so it's more than likely that this Mr Harris is a government official and is expecting him to be able to rig the lottery in his favour.

And that is the rub of it, Rangin could easily rig the lottery, just by running simulations until the right people turned up and no-one would be the wiser. He could make out like an absolute bandit if enough people turned his way.

His throat begins to dry and he can feel sweat begin to trickle down his brow as certain baser instincts take hold. The possibilities of paying to avoid such a consequence is so very Coridan, in a way.

It happens all the time, a bribe here, a good word there, he could sneak it under Graham's nose and laugh at him behind his back, Rangin has enough ways and people he used to know to divert the money and goods so it would not easily be tracked back to him. That would show him who is cleverer, not to mention any consequence could wind up on Lt Onn's shoulders as she seems to be getting all the plaudits for the proposal.

And it is not as if his proposal doesn't already guarantee life for several families already, what would be a few more? It isn't like all the places would be filled by a few judicious selections?

It is also so much the wrong thing to do, but the temptation begins to gnaw at him and he knows the longer he thinks on it, the more likely he is to crack. He needs to get away if only for a few minutes, away from the list of colonists and the knowledge of how much they could pay, that feeling of power over people's lives. He doesn't want to be Graham.

He runs the lottery one last time and locks it into a datapad. There, done, a fixed list before mysterious children start appearing out of the mining face, he doesn't need to run it again. Setting his communicator to silent he goes across to Lt. Dahlquist at the other Science console and asks if he can take a breather for a while, clear his head that sort of thing, before they arrive back at the colony.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dahlquist glances up from the Engineering console and says, "It's all right with me, but better clear it with Mr. Onn. And we'll be back in orbit very shortly anyway."

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin thanks Dahlquist and walks straight to the command chair where Lt Onn is, with her pet gorilla in close proximity.

"Excuse me, Ma'am. With your permission I would live to take a brief break before we arrive back at the colony." Short, simple and to the point as Rangin does his level best to stay absolutely calm despite the communicator message burning a small hole in his psyche, which is not helped by Graham's looming presence.

Onn's open communicator is held to her ear, but she lowers it when she notices Rangin. “Well, if it isn’t our other savior. Yes, Ensign, I don’t see why not, seems like everyone needs a bit of a break…”

She pauses and he watches as her gaze roams over to the Comm station. Then for an inexplicable second she looks almost warily at Graham--does she need his permission or something?

“Um… yes,” Onn repeats when refocusing on him. “We’ll be there in under twenty minutes, and you’ll be needed by then if your lottery plan gets the O.K. But sure.”

The woman seems uneasy and Rangin can’t help wondering at the warning stare she’s giving him. But it doesn’t matter. He’s got what he asked for.

"Thank you, Ma'am. I'll be ready by then." He turns quickly and leaves for the turbolift. He wonders where he should go, perhaps his quarters and freshen up. He may even catch up with Kylah and give her the news about his proposal that he had considered doing earlier before she had left. Perhaps he should thank Lt. Onn for reminding him.F
    Last edited by choie; 29 Jun 2019 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Missing credits: Rangin by Rangin, Nia by SidonianGal

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia keeps her expression even and relaxed as her gaze follows Rangin's back as he departs. It's unlikely that Graham'll notice that Kylah's been relieved. And probably Rangin's decision to take a break has nothing to do with her, anyway.

She looks at her silent communicator and--barely holding in a roll of her eyes--flips it closed. She doesn't have all day to wait at the new doc's beck and call. If he wants her, he'll get in touch again.

"You know," Nia says in an undertone to Booker, "I shouldn't have said there was no good news. Rangin's done some extremely clever calculations that might, just might, help us save more lives. It's not approved yet, and I can't give more details, but it leaves us a little room for optimism."

She smiles up at him. "Between your team's handiwork with the Sarafina and ideas like Rangin's, our luck's improving. Slightly. Although..." Her pleasant expression fades as she finishes in an even softer voice. "Not enough for seven thousand people."

Registered
    Sep 2009

The turbolift doors whisk shut, and after a few seconds the 'lift beeps to prompt Rangin to speak his destination aloud.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Now he is off the bridge, Rangin can breathe a little easier, relax a little more and start to put this thoughts back together.

"Deck seven", he calls out in a clipped tone, wanting to spend as little time talking, even to the turbolift. Deck Seven, a chance to freshen up briefly and then see if he can find Kylah. That, at least, is the honest part of his break.

Rangin flips open the datapad and looks for the sender of his unexpected communication in the list of people from the colony. Someone close to the Governor had to be responsible for this, otherwise he would be the last person to be contacted, just some random science ensign on a big, big ship. He also needs to check if certain other lines of communication were open; or rather that he could still remember his access codes to certain underworld, just like anyone else from Coridan. Rangin likes to think of himself as an honest man, but maybe, just maybe, there is a chance to pull off something untraceable right here and the thought of it is making his head spin.

So, who is this man, and is he already in Rangin's final run of the lottery? Rangin grins to himself as he finds out.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah, who has been basking in relief--foolishly, especially given Ferguson's nature--freezes mid-breath.

Five hours with him, in his bed.

She stares at him for a few heartbeats, then takes a micro-step back, shaking her head. "You--you are not serious," she says, in such disbelief that a little gasp, almost a laugh, accompanies her words. "The two million alone is more than--no, you cannot mean it. This is a life-or-death situation, it is not a time for you to--to make such a filthy joke."

He laughs outright. "Princess, if you think it's a joke, you don't understand me as well as you think you do."

"Until the end of my days, I will not understand vile men like you." Kylah's eyes sting. She hopes she develops tears--then she could do as she promised him during their confrontation a few days ago: Turn this foul cretin into her slave.

Unfortunately, Kylah has never been able to force tears, not the way other Elasian women can. Her half-human side betrays her again.

Broken, she cannot meet his gaze, searching for an answer in his quarters. Then she glances at her body--thinner, not nearly as curved as she was when she boarded this ship--no longer the Elasian ideal. She is not even wearing makeup, aside from a colored lip balm. She feels and probably looks like wreckage.

"But why?" she croaks out, arms hugging herself as some sort of shield. "Why me? You do not even like me. There are hundreds of other women on this ship, much prettier. And they might wish to be with you. You are not... unattractive. On the outside," she adds viciously before her strength deserts her. At last she again looks at him, eyes beseeching. "Please, Lieutenant. You cannot truly ask this of me."

"If you want me to help you break the law and run a serious risk, a very serious risk, of getting us both court-martialed," Ferguson says sharply, "you ought to keep your insults to yourself." Then, abruptly, he smiles again. "And don't sell yourself short - you're a beautiful woman, and I've never slept with a princess before. But no, I'm not 'asking' it of you - it's part of the deal. Or do you just want to walk out that door, and we'll pretend this conversation never took place?"

Kylah cannot bear any more of this. She spins toward the door, which opens obediently. Temptingly.

But she remembers Aldaan's voice; his disappointment, his barely hidden threats. She remembers that two people will live or die because of her. The burden of responsibility ties her down like a tangible weight.

And one thing more. Ferguson claims he will 'forget' this conversation. Kylah may have been naïve enough to think he would help her for some reasonable fee, but her gullibility does not extend this far.

Mark Ferguson is a liar, a cheat. She has no doubt that he will use the illegality of her request to hold over her head. Throughout her time in Starfleet, no matter how long or short, he now has ammunition to use against her. And if not him, then his venal cousin Darren Zweller.

Worse, she delivered this weapon herself. The blame falls on her.

Kylah's shoulders sag. She can think of no alternative. She turns, not to face him but to stare at the floor, shaking her head over and over.

At last she lifts her gaze. "Not five hours," she says softly. "Please."

He looks at her, then shakes his head, almost in disgust. "OK, what the hell. Four hours. But I'm going to make good use of that time, believe me."

Kylah sways, a sudden sense of vertigo closing her eyes as she contemplates what she is agreeing to. The door closes behind her when she moves beyond its sensor range. When she sees his cruel expression, the heat of anger warms her face.

"Three hours," she counters, a new edge in her voice. "The two million is usurious enough. And this part of this deal... it is conditional. Only if you succeed. Those two must be safely aboard when we break orbit. Then you will get your money. And later, if you wish to--to collect...."

Her defiance fades at the tawdriness of what she has agreed to do. Still hugging herself, she falls silent. He knows what she means.

"'Usurious,' eh? Big word. Spoken like a princess." Ferguson laughs. "OK, three hours it is, on those terms. You wore me down, princess, with that pretty little pout of yours."

Kylah stares numbly past him, at the stars visible through his window.

She has never felt less like a princess in her life.

Registered
    May 2013

Nia looks calm and in control, but...tired. I think. Not gonna say it, but there's been a lot on her shoulders, strong as they are.

Graham glances at Rangin on his way out...at least slightly impressed he's done something useful and even kind for someone other than himself.

Then he turns his attention back to Nia, and...

Well fuck protocol.

He puts a hand on her arm. "Nia," he says quietly, "I'm not comfortable with a lottery. Personally, yeah--I can't believe we'd leave kids behind. But, besides that..." He shakes his head. "I don't think people are going to lie down and take it." He swallows, wondering how much to say. "I know someone down there, a good person, a...mother. She'll fight it." He shakes his head. "And any self-serving asshole is going to try and get around it, however they can..."

He picks his handup and looks at Comms. "Fuck." That's a little louder than he intended. "We need to lock down all ship-to-shore communications. We need Security in every transporter room. Anyone with money or connections or power...dammit..."

Yes, Marala is working her connections. But he's 100% certain anyone else on the planet would be working there's as well.

"N--lieutenant Onn. No disrespect to the Captain or Vargas, but I don't see this life or death lottery going smoothly, on planet or off. Permission to take Security to red alert, ma'am."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia, at first grateful for Booker's proximity, is taken aback when he touches her in front of the others. She's not ashamed or shy about letting others know about their relationship, but here on the Bridge? Now? When she's the effective captain?

But though she sends him a wary look, her concern about inappropriate arm-holding evaporates when she hears all Book has to say.

She tilts her head, trying to comprehend what he's telling her. What he seems to be suggesting.

"Lieutenant," she says, standing straighter. "I agree security has the chief role to play. That's your specialty and I've got no doubt Captain Singh and Cmdr. Vargas, when they get back up here, will coordinate all that with you. But as for--"

Nia stops herself. Her thoughts and emotions are tangled and pulling her in opposite directions. But she knows one thing: This conversation cannot happen on the Bridge.

Inhaling, she turns to the Helm station while disengaging her arm from Book's warm, strong fingers. "Bennett," she says evenly, trying to sound like herself. "Take the conn. But don't get too comfy--I'll be back in five." With a jerk of her head, she indicates Book should follow her, adding unnecessarily except for the sake of everyone listening, "Lt. Graham. A moment."

She strides toward the turbolift.

+ Reply to thread