+ Reply to thread
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,100 of 2466

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #6: "Marala"

Registered
    Mar 2012

"Incoming hails, Captain, from the ship and colony," Kylah says, her voice husky but she attempts to put more force in it. "I do not know if their simultaneous nature is intentional. Do you wish me to take them separately, and if so, which has priority?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Singh says, "Acknowledge the Sarafina's signal, and tell them I'll respond shortly. Put through the call from the colony."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah quickly acknowledges the Sarafina before asking them to wait a moment; next, she taps at her panel to receive the communication from the planet below.

Swiveling to face the center of the Bridge, Kylah nods to Singh. "The colony channel is open, Captain."

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel turns to the group of people he has gathered. "Thank you for coming so quickly. I have been informed that each of you has come in contact with Mrs. Kostoyev and given the how contagious the virus can be, I would like to have you all tested immediately."

Nathaniel watches the variety of reactions from the group, but the only one he takes in is from the little girl. The child looks downright terrified. Nathaniel gulps and berates himself for not noticing her earlier. Maybe he would have softened his words. Or maybe have had one of the nurses handle this. Nathaniel has few weaknesses, at least none he would admit, but he couldn't stand to see children, especially young girls, upset or in pain. And he'd seen far too much of it in his years as a doctor. He pushes away the memories. He couldn't let it get to him. He has to keep focused.

This was why he'd spent most of his career treating adults. In fact he'd taken steps in his career to ensure he'd rarely ever had to treat kids. He just couldn't do it anymore. But he couldn't avoid this. He wouldn't avoid it. He could not help himself. He walks over to her and squats down, coming face to face with her tear stained face.

"Hello, I'm Dr. Bennett." He says in the softest voice he could muster. "What is your name?"
    Last edited by anthonydlangford; 20 Oct 2018 at 08:22 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Katya," the little girl had said shyly.

After Dr. Bennett learned her name, he was able to talk to her and in time to put her, her father and her older brother, Yuri, a bit more at ease. Fortunately, after testing, he'd confirmed that neither they nor the others gathered around him in Sickbay had been infected.

Now the young healer sits on the Bridge, thinking back on last night, and also thinking ahead to what the future might hold.

The Bridge's main viewscreen briefly displays the Federation seal and then clears to show a beefy, red-faced, white-haired man seated behind a desk. "Hello, Yorktown!," he says in a hearty voice. "I'm Gov. Sergey Voronko. Welcome to Novy Rostov."

"Thank you, Governor," the Captain says. "I'm Capt. S.P. Singh, and we're glad to be here. With your permission, we'll begin beaming down the 30 miners and family members we've brought here. Actually, I should tell you, there is one exception - the wife of Mr. Kostoyev, the chief miner, is in quarantine for the moment with Canopian flu. We've confirmed that no one else has been infected."

"Ah, good," Voronko says. "Thank you. I'll let our medical officer know. We'll prepare quarantine quarters for her."

"Thank you. We also have some supplies and equipment you'd requested. I'd also like to beam down a landing party to meet with you, if I may."

"Of course, of course! Any visitors are most welcome. This is hardly a vacation world, but we like to think it has its charms. If you wish to grant shore leave to your crew, please feel free to."

"I'm not sure there will be time for that," Singh says after a moment's thought, "but thank you for your kind offer, Governor. Our landing party and the others will begin beaming down in ten minutes, shall we say?"

"Certainly. I will send you the coordinates for City Hall."

"Thank you, sir. Now, if you will excuse me, the other ship in orbit has also hailed us. My best wishes to you and your colonists. We'll be back in touch soon. Yorktown out." She turns to Kylah. "Put through the Sarafina, please."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 21 Oct 2018 at 01:28 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah follows the Captain's order and, after apologizing to the Sarafina for the brief delay, sends the connection through to Singh.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The viewscreen clears to show a middle-aged man with a scraggly beard, in a brown uniform which has obviously seen better days. "Nick Bell, master of the Sarafina, here. Is that you, Yorktown?"

"Yes, it is," the Captain says. "Capt. S.P. Singh, at your service. Sorry for the delay in replying; the colony hailed us at the same time."

"No worries. I got nothing but time. A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Captain."

"For me, as well. May I ask what brings you to Novy Rostov?"

He shrugs. "Repairs. Our deflector shield generator conked out on us and we didn't have the right parts, and couldn't fabricate them ourselves. This was the nearest inhabited world and fortunately, they were able to help us out. Some of my crew have taken shore leave, but we should be breaking orbit in the next few hours. And you?"

"We're bringing some miners, their families and supplies to the colony. Also showing the flag a bit, truth be told. We probably won't be here long ourselves."

"Yeah, not exactly a garden spot, is it? Well, nice talking to you, Captain; safe voyage."

Singh smiles. "Likewise, Capt. Bell, and thank you. Yorktown out."

She breaks the connection and says, "Mr. Kylah, tell the miners to proceed to the transporter rooms. Have Chief Harrison make arrangements to beam down the supplies and equipment from Cargo Bays 1 and 2." She thinks for a moment. "Mr. Graham, assemble a landing party, if you please - yourself and five others. You will be in command. Science Officer Roble will be beaming down, as well, but he has other business there and won't be a member of your party."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah does her best to listen carefully to the Captain's orders, but after contacting the miners, she has a private anxious moment when her tired mind cannot recall what she is to do next. Something to do with the equipment...

Well, it must be beamed down, so presumably the transporter engineers must be prepared. But she cannot precisely remember whom Singh mentioned. Until the first name that springs to mind sounds at least partially familiar.

She holds her breath, then turns to Lt. Thalen. "Excuse me, sir, I--may have misheard," she says, trying to hide her dread. "Did the Captain wish me to contact Lt. Ferguson?"
    Last edited by choie; 22 Oct 2018 at 04:15 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thalen leans down and says quietly, "No, she said Chief Harrison. I believe he's the duty Transporter Chief this watch."

Registered
    Mar 2012

An invisible but thick cord of tension loosens its knot inside Kylah's stomach. "Thank you," she says to her superior officer. With relief that nearly leaves her lightheaded, she turns and contacts Chief Harrison, passing along Captain Singh's request.
    Last edited by choie; 23 Oct 2018 at 08:03 PM.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham's brow furrows--he resists the urge to scratch his head. Wasn't Ferguson the guy yelling at Kylah on my first watch onboard?

Now's not the time to deal with that though - he's got a landing party to pick, and, sadly, Rangin's no longer comatose, and it's tough to justify leaving a xenobiologist who is standing right there behind. He does want someone else from Security, to conduct the assessment he had in mind. And, well, how better to "show the flag."

He's tempted to pick Mahmoud because of his confidence in his friend, but Ens. St. Croix was solid. No need to play favorites.

Plus Medical--got to be Bennett since he was looking after the sick miner.

And no way I can leave Kylah behind. Probably better for her to feel useful, but I'll bet money she'd assume I didn't think she was up to it, dammit...

"Understood, Captain," Graham says. "Dr. Bennett, Mr. Kylah, you're with me. Mr. Rangin--if you feel up to it." He taps the console to issue the order. "Ens. St. Croix from Secuity will join us."

That's five. He has to hold back a smile.

He pauses as if done, just to savor the moment. "And...Lt. Onn, you're from a, ah, an arid planet, if I recall correctly. I'd welcome your expertise down there."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia's attention has been focused on Captain Singh's comment about Nina Kostoyev--she's got some illness that needs quarantine? And she's pregnant? Again Nia's unwelcome, unbidden native instinct to treat births as sacrosanct creates a swell of concern and resentment.

Then Booker's picked to lead a landing party. Mood lightened to pride, Nia smiles to herself.

The smile turns slightly wry when she hears his picks for the team. Let's see, Book hates Rangin, and vice versa. Kylah looks like she's been 'dragged through a hedge backwards,' as Ajay would put it, after her breakdown yesterday--extra points for Booker trying to show confidence, but good grief, the girl is fragile as a crystal ornament.

Plus, Kylah complicates things even more, given the bizarre dynamic between her and Rangin--not to mention that Kylah's someone Booker will (understandably) be overprotective of. And Dr. Bennett flat-out hates everyone. Or at least treats them all with equal disdain.

Is this a landing party or a psychological experiment?

Well, at least St. Croix should keep things sane. Lucky this is just an exploratory thing, no real high stakes. Hopefully his final pick will be another security officer--they'll need as many as they can just to keep Book from killing Rangin if the latter neglects to say 'bless you' after Kylah sneezes.

Suddenly she blinks. Did Book just say her name? Yes, he did, and he's looking at her... like that. Playful but intense. Can anyone else see what she sees in his striking gaze?

Nia doesn't blush, but a pleasant warmth spreads through her body. It's all she can do not to respond with a yes, I'd be happy to serve under you...

"Honored, Lt. Graham. And I'd be very happy to join you. As you say, I do know my dried-up planets pretty well."

Plus I might be able to keep the peace between... well, just about everyone you picked and everyone else. Minus St. Croix.

But her glance takes in the surrounding crew before landing on Captain Singh. "Still, I defer to you, ma'am," she says with a respectful smile. "Not sure if you'd mind being deprived of the majority of your current Bridge complement."
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 23 Oct 2018 at 09:20 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah inhales in surprise and turns to Lt. Graham. She cannot believe he chose her, not after her reaction yesterday, and all she told him, and...

And now he has chosen Velir?

She has purposely avoided looking at the Science station all morning, and does not change that decision now. Of course, she cannot refuse Lt. Graham, there must be some reason he selected her.

Cold hands clasped tightly, fingers bloodless, she looks up at Lt. Thalen, automatically seeking his approval.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Chief Harrison acknowledges his orders.

Singh says, "Thank you, Mr. Graham. I would prefer to keep Lt. Onn aboard for the time being, however. Perhaps you might take along someone from Engineering, instead...?"

Thalen is looking at the Captain and Lt. JG Graham, and not at Kylah.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Looking back at Booker, Nia can't help twisting her mouth sideways, in a well, that sucks sort of facial shrug.

Singh's recommendation of an Engineer sounds highly reasonable. But Nia realizes that Booker--who's still relatively new, despite everything he's been through on- and off-ship already--might not even know all that many of the engineers yet.

"Not to overstep, Lieutenant," she says, addressing Book while lifting an apologetic hand. "But to make up for not being able to join your team, can I make a suggestion? Lt. Coimbra might be a good choice."

She glances at the Captain as if for confirmation before returning to Booker. "Nilo's specialty is metallurgy, which seems like a perfect fit. I mean, it's a mining colony so I'm guessing there's an extractive metallurgist on site. But it might be good to let them talk shop."

Nia flips her hand over, as if offering him her idea on her palm, and finishes with a gentle smile, "Just a thought." After nodding at the Captain, Nia returns her attention to her panel.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 24 Oct 2018 at 12:39 AM.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin hears Graham order for him to join the landing party and freezes. What he had said to Lt Deveraux the previous day was completely true, he is going to be as bored as possible. That's probably why Graham wants him there, what could be more boring for a xenobiologist than picking up rocks and looking for new lifeforms underneath them, when there aren't any on this rockball? Maybe Graham is just seeing if Rangin could find one of his relatives instead. After all, it's where Graham crawled out from.

He has no problems with St Croix, they worked together well on OCIII, but why is Kylah going planetside? Maybe he should enter the Science sweepstakes on what emergency would befall her on the next planet.

Maybe he can find out what Cmdr Roble is up to and help him instead.
    Last edited by choie; 24 Oct 2018 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Format error, sorry Rangin! - choie

Registered
    May 2013

Graham clears his throat. "It's as mineral rich as it is dry, if I understand correctly. Lt. Coimbra makes perfect sense," Graham says, nodding first to the Captain, then to Onn. "Captain, Lieutenant."

His nod and acknowledgment of Nia drags out juuuust the slightest second, with the slightest hint of a smile, he hopes she notices.

"If there are no other orders, Captain, we'll be on our way."

Registered
    Mar 2012

With no apparent objection coming her way from Lt. Thalen, Kylah runs her clammy hands along her skirt before rising. She is disappointed that Lt. Onn will remain onboard; the older woman's sympathy last night meant a great deal. But Kylah cannot expect to be mollycoddled when doing her job. She does not even want such treatment.

While walking stiffly toward Lt. Graham--still not looking at Velir--she tucks a stray curl behind her ear, a nervous habit. She recognizes this and immediately drops her hand, annoyed.

As invisible as she wishes she were, some contrariness spurs her to force out a question. "Pardon me, Captain... is there anything specific you wish us to learn, or shall we just perform a... a standard observation?"
    Last edited by choie; 24 Oct 2018 at 11:08 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Captain says offhandedly, "It's mostly a courtesy call on the Governor and colonial leadership. Mr. Roble has his own assignment. Look around as you see fit, keep your eyes and ears open, and you'll be debriefed when you return. I don't expect you to be dirtside for more than a couple of hours, but use your best judgment."

Thalen sits down at the Communications console and asks Lt. JG Nilo Coimbra and Ens. Jeanne St. Croix to report to Transporter Room 1. They both immediately acknowledge the order.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 28 Oct 2018 at 02:58 PM. Reason: added Ens. St. Croix

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia catches Booker's look as she stares out from behind her lowered lashes. She smiles and nods. At least this trip dirtside will almost certainly go a helluva lot better than... well, just about every other one Book's experienced during his time here.

When she tears her eyes away, she tries to give some mute support to Kylah, but the girl doesn't seem able to meet anyone's gaze during her awkward movements, which--unless Nia's guess is off--seem intended to keep Booker between her and Rangin. The way Kylah is shadowing Book reminds Nia of a confused duckling who's imprinted on a bear.

Nia's lips tighten in sympathy. Not toward Kylah, although, yeah, sure, that too. But Booker's gonna have an... interesting group dynamic down there.
    Last edited by choie; 25 Oct 2018 at 10:28 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

With a quick nod and an "Aye, ma'am" to thank the Captain, Kylah starts to follow Lt. Graham. Then she hesitates and returns to her station. "Excuse me, sir," she says to Thalen, pulling her datapad out from where she usually keeps it, leaning against the monitor.

Clutching the slim pad to her chest--glad of having something to do with her hands--Kylah moves quickly back to Lt. Graham's left side.
    Last edited by choie; 25 Oct 2018 at 11:03 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

"All right, team, let's show the governor and the local dignitaries some Yorktown courtesy," Graham says. As he does so, he's keenly aware that however much he feels sure Ens. Kylah wouldn't feel good about being left behind, she certainly doesn't seem enthusiastic about being chosen, either. For a moment he second-guesses himself: damned if you do, damned if you don't.

He's suspects Rangin's presence isn't helpful, but he's also sure Rangin would have made a stink if he were passed over.

As he speaks, he reaches an arm around behind Kylah - not close enough to touch her, but a protective guardrail and invitation to proceed all in one, while turning his body sidewise so anyone trying to get to the lift faster would have to run or go through. "I'll be right behind you, Mr, Kylah," Graham says as calmly and encouragingly as he can.

Registered
    Mar 2012

"Thank you, sir," Kylah says, looking up at him briefly before returning her attention down to the top edge of the gray datapad in her arms.

Despite the tight control she is exerting on her senses, she cannot help feel Lt. Graham's wariness. It is like an electric current surrounding him as he contemplates her. After a second's hesitation she adds very softly, "I will do my best to earn your confidence in me."

A flash of thought closes her eyes. Velir will never think half as well of me as Lt. Graham.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel isn’t thrilled to be chosen to be on this mission, not at all. In fact it is the last thing he wanted. These missions always somehow led to disaster. An attack of some sort, someone would get into trouble. And his favorite, the ship would get taken over by hostile aliens. It’s always something. Nathaniel realizes they had to explore new worlds and all that. It is part of the mission statement. He would just rather not be involved, especially since he has to work with that woman Kylah.

Nathaniel couldn’t believe she’d been picked. She seems like she couldn’t get out of bed without bursting into tears. If she is going, this misson couldn’t be that important. But that made him even more annoyed. The new guy gets the short straw again.

Performing surgery at his state of the art facility back on Earth. That was where he felt most comfortable. But he hadn’t been there in a long time and isn’t likely to be there anytime soon. That exisitence, that life is so far away. At least Nia had the good sense to talk her way out of this. He admired her for that. She is as smart as she seemed last night. Not only that, is was a bit charming and funny and didn’t suffer fools, he imagined. For now that’s the most he could ask. Nathaniel isn’t sure if he liked her, but he could tolerate her.

“So,” he sidles over to Nia as the group were all about to leave for Transporter Room 1. “You wanna fake a medical emergency and get me out of this? I promise to make it worth your while.”

Registered
    Apr 2015

The doctor's words widen Nia's smile. "Love to," she says under her breath, "but I don't think I could pull it off. Do I look the sickly type to you?" Her head tilts slightly to the officer on her right. "Your cousin might be a better choice."

Nia can't blame him for trying--and she's not surprised by it, either. "Nah, might as well save that excuse for a rainy day, so to speak, Doctor. Fingers crossed, a basic meet-and-greet on a barren dirt planet should be straightforward. Although with this group, you might have your hands full..."

She shrugs and tosses away her concern. Why prejudice him? ...Even more than he already seems to be prejudiced, that is, which is apparently plenty enough. Ship's gossip got to him already, it seems. Impressive, even for the Yorktown's rumor mill.

A quick take on the Captain reminds Nia that she'd better not keep Dr. Bennett any longer. "Good luck. If you feel the need to vent afterwards, I'm your girl."

Registered
    Sep 2009

The landing party takes the Bridge turbolift and makes its way to Transporter Room 1. Chief Nguyen is behind the transporter console, chatting with Science Officer Roble, who already has a tricorder slung over his shoulder. Security Ens. Jeanne St. Croix stands quietly nearby, her hands behind her back. She nods to Graham. From a storage locker, Nguyen distributes communicators and phaser-1s - standard issue for a mission during which no combat is expected - to all. He also offers tricorders to anybody who wishes one.

Roble welcomes you and says to Graham, "Thanks for letting me tag along, Lieutenant. I'm meeting Dr. Sabeel below and should be out of your hair soon."

Lt. JG Nilo Coimbra arrives. The metallurgist is a tall Brazilian man of average build, with dark curly hair and striking brown eyes. He already has a tricorder, too.

Dr. Bennett naturally has his medikit and medical tricorder with him.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 28 Oct 2018 at 02:57 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham returns St. Croix's nod with some gusto. Feels good to be leading a team you can count on.

Well, actually...

He resists a scowl. This is more like rehab therapy for Kylah - get her back on her feet. And a political necessity to include Rangin. The last thing Vargas needs to hear is Rangin complaining about being passed over because Graham is biased against him. And the new doc seems fine...but if he were expecting any trouble he'd want T'Var by his side for sure. But again...can't fail to give the new guy a chance to get his feet wet on a mission.

"No worries, sir," Graham replies to Roble. "Anything you need, we'll be there for you," he adds. He gestures for St. Croix to take a position on the rear left of the transporter pads, as he takes a position forward right. Probably should've let her do it on her own - standard protocol, don't bunch up Security...

He smiles slightly. "Lt. Coimbra...drinks on me when we get back if you find some kind of rock so weird it's hard to believe it's a real thing."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Coimbra, whom Graham hasn't met before, laughs. "You're on, sir, and thanks for picking me for the landing party." He looks around. "I think we're seven, all told. Want me to beam down after the initial six, sir?" There are only six discs on the transporter platform.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah carefully accepts the phaser and attaches it to her utility belt, but does not bother with a tricorder. She will likely have little to do--Lt. Graham was kind to bring her with him, but she is aware that is all this is.... an attempt to give her some purpose. A gesture of pity.

Well, pity or not: as she vowed to him, she will not let him regret his choice.

She recognizes St. Croix, of course, one of the more benign and capable Security officers she has met during their missions. Not far away she catches a glimpse of Dr. Bennett, who does not need to look at her for her to sense his disdain.

Lt. Roble is rather good-naturedly deferential to Lt. Graham, Kylah notes, pleased for her friend's sake. Friend... Is that what the Security officer is to her? She hopes so.

Her attention is distracted by someone she cannot recall meeting before--Lt. Coimbra, if she caught his name correctly. Very attractive--he has the coloring of most of the Northern sector population of Elas. It is not hard to imagine His Serenity, Dohlman Tel--her brother--growing up to look much like Coimbra. As she takes a few quick peeks toward the engineer, he also reminds her of someone else she knew, long ago. Her cheeks warm and she turns hurriedly away.

The only person in the party she dares not focus on is Velir. She remembers the frightening, intimate connection they shared so briefly in the gym yesterday. Kylah cannot must not allow that to happen again.

With a bracing shake of her head, Kylah prepares herself for beaming out.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel hadn’t really expected Nia to take him up on his request. They were strangers and the lady seems far too smart and savvy to be doing big favors for people she hardly knew unless there was something in it for her. Besides, the truth was it doesn’t look good to be begging off on your first mission. Best to grin and bear it.

As for her offer of a talk, Nathaniel hadn’t had the chance to respond, but he just might take her up on that. He needs to get to know the people on the ship and he had the feeling she knows a lot about the Yorktown and it’s crew and would be more than willing to talk about it.

As he takes his phaser along with his medical equipment, Nathaniel realizes there was a time he would have balked to being expected to be armed. He is a doctor and all that, here to save lives, not take them. But he knows better now He learned the hard way dealing with alien races is dangerous, even when it looked perfectly safe and harmless. If he hadn’t of known it before, the last two years has certainly taught him that.

He looks over the landing party. He had only met Kylah and Rangin and that was because of the medical emergency. The rest were strangers but that was going to have to change. As much as he hates the idea, if there was a chance to strike up conversation with someone, he’d do it. Casual talk was not his thing, nor getting to know people. But he has no choice.

Nathaniel is surprised to see Rangin here, the guy was near death not that long ago.

As everyone headed for the teleporter pad, Nathaniel says to Rangin. “I’m surprised to see you here. I must have done a better job than even I thought if you’re fit for missions already.”
    Last edited by anthonydlangford; 29 Oct 2018 at 02:56 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

After enjoying the rear view of Dr. Bennett leaving, Nia exhales with a small measure of relief.

"That was a close call," she murmurs to Cecilia beside her. "What a line-up. Booker's got a masochistic streak for sure. I'd've gone if only to referee the inevitable in-fighting, but I'm glad I got out of it, just the same. Doesn't sound like your cousin's super-fond of landing parties. Or being on board a ship, for that matter. Has he spent most of his Starfleet time in one place?"

She looks up at Singh, curious as to why the Captain wanted her up here. Probably just good policy to vary the teams a little, give others more experience. Hard to justify including a space jockey planetside, anyway--although hell, Singh doesn't have to justify her decisions. She could order Ajay on a team and no one would say 'boo.' Not aloud, anyway.

Lifting her chin, she aims her next question to Singh. "Excuse me, Captain. About how long do you anticipate we'll be remaining here?" She smiles. "I've either forgotten or didn't get the memo."
    Last edited by choie; 29 Oct 2018 at 06:21 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham nods. "That'll work, Lt. Coimbra. Thanks for volunteering. I'm sure you're probably the keenest to get dirtside among us.

Graham checks the power and settings on his phaser.

Registered
    Sep 2009

At Nav, Lt. Bennett says quietly, "He moved around a bit. And you're right - he's happiest in the OR."

The Captain leans back in her chair and replies to Onn, "Might be only a few hours from now. Starfleet would like us to take up a new patrol route as soon as possible."

In the transporter room, Coimbra nods and steps aside. Everyone else takes a place on the transporter platform. Chief Nguyen looks expectantly at Graham.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin stays quiet for the entire duration trying to work out what Graham’s angle is. Why would he bring Rangin along, given he had only just recovered from the accident? He can figure out why Kylah is here, as long as she can maintain her composure and bad things don’t happen. She can be good with people and diplomatic, so a short mission like this would be ideal. Even so he still wonders if his stake in the sweepstakes for “nothing bad” was at risk.

He accepts the offer for a phaser and communicator but goes for a scientific tricorder. While he is there he might as well see what the local flora and fauna are like. Non-existent probably.

“Sir,” he greets the elderly Science Chief, “anything I can do to help down on the planet, happy to assist. He nods to St Croix feeling better that there will be at least one sensible Security officer on the planet and acknowledges Lt. JG Nilo Coimbra as he walks in.

When he hears the Doctor talking to him, he shrugs as he hears the question. “You did a good job patching me up, fit for duty also includes more than good enough for away missions as well...” He thinks for a moment back, perhaps the Doc can help him, and continues, “...actually I could do with a follow up after this. Couple of things I would like to check out, if you don’t mind?”

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Thank you, Mr. Rangin," the courtly Science Officer says. "I'm delighted to see you back on your feet. I don't think I'll be needing your assistance down below, but I appreciate the offer."

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

“Of course.” Nathaniel says as he hopes Rangin wasn’t bringing more problems to his doorstep. “Make an appointment as soon as we get back.”

He takes his place on a transporter pad and gets ready to be beamed down and for this mission to begin.

Registered
    May 2013

"Energize, Mr. Ngyuen," Graham says once everyone is on their pad.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Chief Nguyen throws some switches and slides his console's three knobs down their tracks. The room disappears around you in a tingling hum, and you feel the usual brief sense of weightless unreality as you are beamed down.

The dazzling transporter effect clears in moments and you find yourselves on the well-kept lawn of a small park, not far from a bland, white, three-story-tall thermocrete and glass office building. The blue Federation flag and another you haven't seen before hang from short flagpoles mounted to either side of the double doors. Other buildings of similar design can be seen through the trees and bushes ringing the park. A clear geodesic dome with a dark metal framework, perhaps forty meters overhead, extends several hundred meters in every direction, noticeably curving downwards in the distance. You can see the stars overhead in a black sky. There are muted city sounds not far away.

A group of five people, one of whom is Gov. Voronko, approaches you from the front plaza of the office building.

Coimbra shimmers into existence nearby a few seconds later, and looks around.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 30 Oct 2018 at 10:31 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah is surprised by her surroundings. From all she has heard of the colony, she expected a much more rudimentary, uncultivated land. Aside from the dome and the world beyond it, this could be the grounds of any city office compound. Admittedly, that is a big aside, but Kylah remains impressed.

She examines the greeting party in silence. Of course, Lt. Graham will speak for the Yorktown crew, and it is the scientists among them who will likely be most interested in--and interesting to--the miners.

Kylah's role is... well, she does not know into what role, if any, she fits. So she just watches, still hugging her datapad, and tries to take some measure of the strangers, from the governor to the others nearby.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham reflexively does a 360 degree scan. It's not that he's nervous, or suspects anything might be wrong...it's just hard wired.

Graham moves slightly forward to separate himself from the rest of the group--and St.Croix, his Security back up. Present welcoming party gone bad two targets, not one.

Not that he expects that. At all. Looks legit.

"Stand at ease," he says, turning toward the team. "Let's show the governor due respect and do Yorktown proud."

He adds" "Mr. Kylah, on me, you're Comms specialist on the team."

Graham clasps his hands behind his back and does his best "official yet friendly" as the group approaches.
    Last edited by general_urko; 31 Oct 2018 at 11:18 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

With a surprised look that she swiftly tries to hide, Kylah takes a short step forward to stand a little closer to Lt. Graham--stopping to remain a few inches behind him.

Given the role Lt. Graham has just emphasized, she prepares to wish the Governor a good evening--but then pauses. A glance up at the fathomless darkness beyond the dome reminds her that without understanding the atmosphere, she cannot judge whether it is day or night.

Before the strangers stop, Kylah hurriedly tilts her datapad away from her chest and taps in a request for current local time.
    Last edited by choie; 02 Nov 2018 at 12:51 AM. Reason: okay, GM, if you wanna play it that way!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah sees that it is 2103 local time.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Armed with this knowledge of the time, Kylah returns to hugging the pad to her chest, this time just with her left arm, and--once the approaching group meets them--says "good evening" in as confident a voice as she can to the Governor and his party.

She then adds: "And thank you for meeting with us at such a late hour. Governor Voronko, may I present En--Lieutenant Graham, the Yorktown's Assistant Chief of Security and the commanding officer of our landing party."

As she finishes, she is glad to have corrected her near-blunder regarding Lt. Graham's title. She cannot help glancing at him with a hint of pride for his accomplishment. Unless she is mistaken, this is the first time he is acting as an official representative of the ship with his new rank and title.
    Last edited by choie; 02 Nov 2018 at 12:52 AM.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin looks around the area with a little shiver running down his spine. This being a mining planet in some ways reminds of, not just home but, a place he left far behind in his life. In some of the worst areas, domes like this were used to keep out the worst of the industrialised air, although they never extended across the vast shanty towns.

He wondered how similar this would be to Coridan, it doesn’t look like it now, more like any other Federation park. Although there is a chance there is one upside; as a mining colony they normally brew some excellent beverages. Whether he will get a chance given that Lt Graham is in charge. Lt Graham, now there is a wonder, although given that Lt Collins has left, talk about lucky.

At least, he can act like a nice meat shield for Kylah, and he seems to have the right idea, stopped chronometers and all that, when it comes to trying to bolster her confidence.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Well here we are, Nathaniel thinks, less than impressed. What now? He still isn't sure why he is here other than they always sent a doctor. He only hopes hes not needed because that means trouble. And Starfleet seems to have a knack for finding trouble no matter where they went. He supposes he should see what the situation is like medically down here. Even in this day and age mining is a dangerous, nasty occupation. Alot like being on a starship if you thought about it.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's a bit taken aback by Kylah going all herald on him - he simply intended for her to be part of the discussion, rather than treating him as a VIP.

All things considered, thought, he can't help but smile slightly. He clears his throat. "Ah, thank you, Mr. Kylah," he says, turning to nod approvingly in her direction.

He turns back to the governor and his party. "The formality is intended to respect your office, Governor." He puts a hand on his chest for a moment. "But if you prefer to be less formal, the first name's Booker. Either way, we're at your service and we appreciate the welcome."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Gov. Voronko takes it all in stride. He smiles and shakes Graham's hand. "Thank you, Lieutenant. I always believe in using the titles people have earned, at least on first meeting. You and your Starfleet colleagues are very welcome here. May I present Ari Weinstein, President of the Colonial Council," a short, stout, balding man with a ready smile; "Marala Gromov, Chair of the Miners' Guild," an attractive older woman; "Yuri Mezentsev, our Chief of Security," a slim, hard-looking man with a reserved air; "and Dr. Sabeel of the Cochrane Institute," a very tall, dark-skinned Caldonian who seems impatient with the introductions.

Graham acknowledges each in turn, but feels like he cannot take his eyes off Gromov, whom he recognizes at once.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Caldonian

Registered
    May 2013

“Marala, is it OK, did I…”

She puts a finger to his lips, gently but firmly enough that he knows to stop talking.

“I wanted to do this, Booker Graham, with you, now. I wanted.” Her eyes are so big, wide, luminescent he could fall in and be swallowed up. “You’re not my big brother, you’re my friend.” She pauses and smiles slightly. “Now my lover, I guess.”

“I…” She was beautiful, curvy--a bit, but…compact…as if there were no millimeter of height or curve wasted to make a perfect human being. Girl. Woman, well, obviously, woman, as she lay there naked next to him.

“I…I’m not a good brother. I’m probably not even a good…you know…”

She grabs him and shakes him by his shoulders. Strong for her size. Not that I have strength worth shit, though I as trying, working hard at it, trying to get stronger…

“How the hell do you think I would even know, Boojee? I’m—we’re seventeen. Maybe you’ve been out comparison shopping, but I haven’t, I wanted to be with you, and it’s…it’s good enough for me.”

“Too good, you’re too good, for someone like me” Graham replies, shaking his head.

She bats at the side of his head with one hand. “Stop that. And…anyway…I…I’m moving, Boojee. My uncle in Moscow…he just got married again, and—they’re a little old for kids, but his wife wants…a family. Not like my aunt and uncle here, where…well she thinks she was saddled with the stupid orphan she never wanted.”

Graham stares at her, not knowing what to say or able to speak. “Will we see each other—or…no…Mara, I don’t know what to do.”

She shakes her head slightly. “All I know is nobody will be home for at least a couple hours. Just be with me.”

----

She’s here. Marala.

There are lines around them that weren't there when they were both 17 and he was starting into Marala's strikingly wide eyes, lying next to a naked woman, naked himself, for the first time.

And a seam or a scar - small, on the right side of her chin, but noticeable to him because her face had always seemed perfectly, impossibly symmetrical.

For all that, she seems--more like herself. Graham remembers her as noticeably shorter than him, and curvey, yet compact. As if no millimeter or gram was wasted on anything but she herself, absolutely as she was meant to be.

He's pretty sure that digging into details might show she's (a bit) heavier, overall, wider and thicker than when they were teen-agers. But that only reinforces and brings a solidity to her shape. The same contours he remembers.

Only real friend to a shy, frightened adolescent Graham. First…more than friend.

And then she’d moved away, and he’d kinda sorta gotten his act together, gotten in to the Academy, and he reached out to her….and she’d been seeing someone.

And then, later, she’d reached out to him told him she wasn’t anymore, but he’d already met Jane…

And then...well, he wasn't sure. But somehow, here, now.

Marala.

Gromov. Not the last name by which he knew her.

Everyone and everything except Marala are like shadows and echoes in his head, but he clings to protocol as the introductions are made.

"Thank you, Governor. Ah, this is Lt. Cmdr. Roble, Yorktown's science officer. Dr. Bennett (he emphasizes the "doctor"), from our medical staff, Ens. Rangin, xenobiology...." He's so preoccupied his voice does not convey any disdain or disappointment as he introduces Rangin.

"Ens. Kylah, of course, Communications, and Ens. St. Croix, Security. And Lt. Coimbra, here, is one of our experts on minerals and metallurgy."

After the briefest pause he adds, "For my part I hope I have the chance to to learn something about mining. Miners. And...their..., uh, guild."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Like an unexpected summer storm, a whirlwind strikes Kylah: vague mental images of warm, bare skin and entwined limbs, coupled by the raw emotions of pleasure, shock, yearning and regret.

At once her face burns as if caught by a blast of steam.

Most mortifying, she knows the source generating these feelings and visions: Lt. Graham. He is closest to her, and she recognizes the... the flavor, as she has always described it to herself... of his emotions.

Though unable to explain what could have provoked such feelings, Kylah will not, must not attempt to discern anything further. To the contrary: she desperately tries to focus on something else, to restrain her empathic senses. Whatever this is, it is private--it is beyond private.

She does not care how stupid she looks. Loosening her grip on the datapad, she lets it slip from her elbow and nearly fall to the ground. While bending to catch it, she backs up, murmurs a few likely indistinguishable words of apology and takes the opportunity to move some steps away, closer to Velir and Dr. Bennett. Anything to shield herself from whatever is happening to Lt. Graham.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Marala Gromov laughs and says, "And I'll be glad to tell you, Booker, at length. Whatever you want to know." She beams at him. "Good lord, it's been a long time, hasn't it?"

The Governor turns. "You know Lt. Graham?"

"Oh, yes," she says. "I certainly do. We go 'way back." She steps forward and kisses Graham warmly on the cheek, hugs him tight, and then holds him almost at arm's length, looking him over, her eyes shining. "It's so good to see you again, Boojee. I had no idea you were on the Yorktown now."

Boojee? St. Croix silently repeats with a poorly-suppressed grin behind Graham, her hands still clasped behind her back as she stands at ease.

Dr. Sabeel clears his throat and says, "This little reunion is very nice, but Governor, would you excuse Mr. Roble and me? We need to talk about my research."

The Governor says, "Of course, of course. Don't let us keep you." Dr. Bennett notices Voronko roll his eyes just a little as he says it.

"Excellent. Thank you. Welcome, Mr. Roble. If you'll follow me, please...?"

The Science Officer nods, adjusts his tricorder strap and says, "Certainly. Lead on, sir."

They go off together, Dr. Sabeel looming over Lt. Cmdr. Roble, across the park and through the trees, talking animatedly about stars and sensors.

When they are out of earshot, Weinstein jokes, "Never let it be said that the good doctor is a sentimentalist." Voronko and Gromov both laugh knowingly.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 05 Nov 2018 at 03:38 PM.

+ Reply to thread