+ Reply to thread
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 1,000 of 2466

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #6: "Marala"

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia's a tad disappointed in the group she sees in the rec room, especially because despite the confidence she's felt the past couple of days, something about Cecilia Bennett lately makes her scales prickle and itch.

Yeah, right: 'Something.' Something muscular and shaped like an Assistant Chief of Security officer.

But at least her frequent panel-partner is sitting with Vaudreuil, and probably enjoying his company, so maybe this means... Means what? Like they can't just be friends? Nia remembers the way Bennett acted at dinner (what little she could see, damn it) with Book. There's mutual attraction, even if it's unspoken and un-acted-upon.

Hanging out with Mahmoud is preferable. Learning more about Booker's bunkmate and close friend a little better--he's one of the few Security redshirts Nia hasn't already, um, gotten to know--might be fun.

But really, what both Bennett and Mahmoud do is make her think of Booker. And thinking of Booker makes her want to see Booker. Who's working out in the gym, so he said. Maybe even without a shirt. Maybe all the aforementioned muscles are on nice display...

Okay, now I'm hungry. Nia smiles slowly and, entering the room, says a pleasant greeting to Cece and Guillaume, followed by Mahmoud with a broader grin--he and Booker must do some talking--then heads to the replicator and orders a protein bar.

Then, with her bounty (at least, the edible kind), she heads right back out and aims herself in the direction of the gym.
    Last edited by choie; 14 Sep 2018 at 11:24 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

While dubious that her arms are useful for anything requiring more strength than swatting a fly, Kylah finds Lt. Graham's mood infectious. She straightens up and, though not quite smiling, at least stops anxiously biting her lower lip.

"Yes, sir!" she mimics, hoping to sound like a true Starfleet officer--or better yet, a strong Elasian woman.

Once he reaches toward her, Kylah will perform the windmill move as he instructed--though she has no idea what is supposed to happen even if she does manage to slam his arms temporarily away.
    Last edited by choie; 14 Sep 2018 at 11:22 AM.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Part of the recovery that Rangin is putting himself through is extra swimming, looking to try and regain a little of the shape he was in before he was laid up from the accident. The suggestion had not come from that new Doctor, but it seems that once the exciting disease went away, Rangin is no longer of any real interest.

But, he also enjoys swimming and from his time on Bolarus IX, he was reasonably proficient at it. After nearly an hour or so of doing lengths, he washes off and then heads back through the gym only to see Graham teaching Kylah...something.

He leans back against the wall to watch what happens. He is surprised as most officers would have had some form of basic training... or is that because he's from Coridan, he isn’t sure.

Anyway, regardless of the teacher - and disappointingly he feels that Graham is probably one of the best to be able to teach her - it’s good to see Kylah doing this.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Bennett - who jauntily raises her coffee mug - and Vaudreuil and Mahmoud all greet Onn in a friendly way.

"Hi, Velir!" says a friendly voice at his elbow.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Bolarus_IX
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 15 Sep 2018 at 03:20 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin is a little preoccupied watching Graham and Kylah to realise the greeting is for him. Slightly surprised as he isn't expecting to meet anyone there and not immediately recognising the voice he turns his head slightly to see who is saying hello.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel is surprised to see his patient's husband here. He had ordered two weeks of quarantine as part of her treatment. Why has he defied my orders, Nathaniel wonders.

Registered
    Apr 2015

On her way, Nia surreptitiously snaps off pieces of the protein bar and, whenever a corridor is temporarily free of witnesses, chews the small sections to enjoy the burst of energy and, most of all, taste. She loves these things almost as much as she does Ajay's best pastries.

Not that she'd ever tell him that. He mocks her mercilessly for even being able to swallow these bars. It's true most humans she's met aren't fond of them--Ajay himself said "it's like biting into honey-coated tree bark." But she's not gonna let her sense of taste be insulted by a man who enjoys that horrible muck they call lager.

Smiling as she finishes chomping and swallowing the last bite, Nia briskly wipes her hands together to free them of any crumbs, then rounds toward the nearest entrance to the Gym. If anyone's near, she'll say a pleasant 'hi' while walking, of course.

The doors swoosh closed behind her, and Nia immediately notices the lovely increase in temperature from the cool corridors. Always a pleasure to get some relief from the constant chill she deals with throughout most of the rest of the ship.

The climate is far more suitable for humans and most others who don't reside on a planet revolving a star nearing its red giant phase. Still, it's not super-uncomfortable; if it were, she'd just get a thermal lining for her uniform.

Now, what is super-uncomfortable? The sight of Ensign Rangin off on the side, his gaze connected to Booker's back by an invisible thread spun out of steely, suppressed distaste and passive aggressiveness.

Nia crosses her arms over her chest and raises an eyebrow, paying more attention to the pair squaring off against one another on the mat across from her. Once Booker moves slightly, she sees that in all likelihood it's not him catching Mr. Rangin's eye. Yep, Kylah's here, because she's Kylah.

And, just like Kylah always is (okay, maybe not always, but definitely at every opportunity)... she's dressed bizarrely.

At least this outfit's issue is that it's too large, rather than skin-tight. Of course, if it fit properly, that neckline wouldn't keep dropping to reveal half her cleavage.

Now the girl's making an attempt to adjust it by shoving some of the extra material into what must be industrial-strength bra straps. Trying to get attention away from what's showing, are we? Because kiddo, fiddling around with that area's having the opposite effect.

Nia focuses on Booker, because he's the one she's here to see. And... she's glad to be rewarded for the effort. Because, well, just look at him! So full of coiled strength that's almost visibly prepared to be sprung to conquer some enemy. While not a giant--though he looks like one compared to the little thing he's apparently training--Book still seems more powerful than almost anyone she's known.

Maybe not Double-T. But actually... hmm, yeah, that's a fight she'd be genuinely curious to watch. Rawlings is a monolith, for sure, but Book's mind is razor sharp and phaser-fast. It's at least as deadly a weapon as Double-T's extraordinary musculature.

Damn. Nia feels overdressed. She really wishes she could just strip and do the wrestling instead of Kylah.

She prefers to avoid notice by Booker for now, so she slowly circles the room until she's near a bunch of shining exercise equipment and only a few yards from Rangin and... whoever that is on the other side of him; she can't see from this angle.

Then Nia leans against some unidentifiable machine that hides her fairly well, at least from Booker. If she recognizes the two women training--and they spot her--she'll smile and nod in their direction. Otherwise, she watches the "Panther vs. newborn kitten" match at center stage.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 17 Sep 2018 at 09:57 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

A nurse, told by Dr. Bennett of his quarantine order, says, "I'm sorry, Doctor. Nobody told me about that." She doesn't sound especially sorry. She shoos Mr. Kostovyev out of Sickbay and arranges for the patient to be immediately moved into quarantine.

Onn recognizes the two women practicing aikido as Science Lt. JG Melissa J. Ryan, a cyberneticist, and Transporter Chief Belinda Brady, neither of whom she knows well. Graham and Kylah have not spotted her.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham reaches for Kylah, and she--the word comes straight to mind, after her encouragingly robust "yes sir"--dutifully--swats his arms.

There's no need for Graham to exaggerate the motion as they fly upwards and outwards: the laws of physics dictate that even a much smaller person has more leverage at that angle. It smarts a bit, but she hits a meaty part of his forearm so it doesn't hurt much - he hopes she finds the sound of the impact and the clear result as satisfying as he does.

"THAT'S IT." Graham says, smiling. "Even a big adult human's arms are only going to weight a few kilos, outstretched like that, the force from your body is going to be able to move them. He gestures with his hands as he explains. "Now, did you see my right arm? We're going to do this again, and I want your whole universe to be all about chasing after my right arm, grabbing it, and running to get around just behind me..." He demonstrates, making the windmill motion and sprinting to his right.

The he pauses and raises a finger. "Now...here's where I DO want you to worry about hurting me. Want we want is Boom, arms up, chase that right arm, and then you're going to put your foot right into the back of my knee and push down and through, while you keep on moving forward with my arm. You don't need to do it very hard...just enough to bend it and make me lose stability. And then guess what's going to happen then? I'm going to fall on my ass. Hell, even Rawlings would fall on his ass if you get the timing right."

He pauses. "End of the lesson is: run away. A surprised attacked down a golden opportunity to run like hell in the opposite direction, OK?" He gets into position. "Make sense? Swing, boom, step, grab, step, knee, step....run."

Kylah is surprised that her first attempt worked, and almost suspects Lt. Graham of making this easy on her despite his insistence that anyone would react as he did.

But she trusts him; he seems to have her best interests at heart. Obviously it would not be in her interest for him to inflate her confidence falsely. His recommendation now--to run away--confirms this. Avoiding a fight is the best solution for her.

She agrees with another "Yes sir!" and positions herself. Again his arms reach for her and she reacts, this time swinging more forcefully. The next somewhat intricate steps are likely too hesitant for a real-life situation, but she does her best. Her foot hooks around his knee and jerks it while the rest of her pushes forward to pursue the right arm.

Lt. Graham does give her some resistance--he does not just collapse at the first tug of her foot. Good, she thinks: he is not treating her too delicately. She puts more weight into the move and yanks harder. And astonishingly, she feels him give way. Kylah gasps and, while he topples back, almost cries out with elation that the move actually worked.

But before she can run, her own left knee--currently bearing her weight, but still weak from her accident on OCIII and the attack on Anubis--buckles. Unexpectedly, she falls forward and lands heavily onto his chest.

Kylah stares into Lt. Graham's face, and cannot help herself: she laughs. For the first time in...she cannot even imagine how long...she laughs--in amusement, in triumph, in pure emotional release. I did it! Her exhilaration lightens her spirits even though she probably looked like a graceless clod. She may have fallen, but at least she brought Lt. Graham down first.

"I am sorry," she says, continuing to giggle with relief and sheer joy. "I--I did not think I could--but it worked. I did it!"

(Graham by general_urko, Kylah by choie)
    Last edited by choie; 17 Sep 2018 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Just restored missing italics & scene separators

Registered
    Apr 2015

Watching Kylah bat away Booker's arms and nodding slightly at the girl's success. Nia finds her approval tempered by the recognition that this is incredibly basic stuff. Self-defense suitable for everyone old enough to stand.

How did a Starfleet officer avoid learning this at the Academy? Or on her homeworld, for that matter?

Nia knows precious little about Elasians, apart from the whole 'tears of seduction' thing, but she has heard that their women are supposed to be strong and capable fighters. That sure ain't how Nia would describe Ensign Kylah.

She shrugs. Royal exemption, maybe? Whatever the girl's exalted family position is, it's entirely possible she had enough guards or servants in the palace to shelter her from any danger. Still doesn't explain why Starfleet graduated her from its Academy, much less allowed her into one of its best ships, so poorly prepared.

The population on Nia's planet was--is--in imminent danger of extinction. Even under these circumstances, due to the Prime Directive, it still took some serious legal, political, scientific and humanitarian efforts to get a single endangered non-Federation citizen off Sidonia and into the safety of the Academy.

Despite Nia's having spent her life immersed in flight and engineering--when she wasn't breeding, anyway--she went through every course and practice and test, no matter how rudimentary they were (at least during the first two years). Nia had to prove herself worthy. Just like every other cadet.

...Except, apparently, those who happened to be royal princesses from resource-rich planets.

Nia mulls all this over as Booker instructs Kylah some more, then they appear to start over.

In what seems like a slowed-down vid of some sort of combat pantomime, Booker reaches toward Kylah--honestly, at the speed he's going, anyone with good instincts would be able to duck and scamper out. Kylah continues the original move and follows it in a maneuver Nia also recognizes from training--training back on Sidonia, that's how standard this defense is.

It works, of course. Nia has to smile when she sees Book's body lose its usual confident stance and start to collapse like a building in an earthquake. But he's not the only one to fall. Kylah's left leg is wobbly and can't support her weight (which, Nia notices now, seems a few kilos off from last month). Since she stupidly holds onto Booker's arm, the girl is dragged down with him and follows his path to the floor.

Luckily, she gets to land on a comfy, Booker Graham-shaped cushion. Neither seem to mind.

Nia's mouth twists and she's instinctively inclined to share what's gotta be a mutual roll-eyed expression with Rangin. Except... she finds herself drawn to Kylah. Her cheeks are flushed and some stray curls are sticking to her forehead from sweat. But most of all, she's smiling. Soon she's not just smiling, but laughing, with open delight, while staring down at Booker.

Unable to see Booker's face, Nia looks only at Kylah. For some reason, the cynicism drains away, as does the thought of turning to Rangin.

Instead, Nia just watches this elated young woman she barely recognizes, beaming triumph and gratitude down at her trainer.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 19 Sep 2018 at 01:46 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin sees it is Lt. Vivien Devereaux. The slim young planetologist has a big smile and gives him a hug. "So glad to see you back up on your feet!" she says in charmingly French-accented Federation Standard. "I'd heard they finally let you out of Sickbay. How are you?"

Registered
    Jan 2018

“Ma’am. Vivi. I'm much better thank you.” Rangin brightens up at the warm embrace and he responds in kind with a peck on each cheek before stepping back slightly. “They let me out not that long ago on condition I take care and don't overdo it. Just done a few lengths of the pool. Trying to get back into being mobile again.”

The sounds of tussling behind cause Rangin to glance round only to see Kylah first topple Graham and then land on top of him. He looks away with a wry grin as he hears the exaltation and before Graham can see the grin on his face.

“Good for her,” he says quietly with a smile as an aside to the officer next to him. “Anyway, how are you, what have I missed?”

Rangin does not really want to intrude on Kylah’s moment of achievement, so he passes his attention back to the Lieutenant.

Registered
    Mar 2012

“Raaaaarrrrgh! I’m a space monster!”

Lizzy comes crashing down onto Graham's chest...

No, it's not the same thing. Lizzy's all grown up, and Kylah's an adult, a woman (fairly obviosuly, given the contours resting against him), a colleague...but she's smiling. Rightfully so.

You did good Booker. She did good. Maybe you've lost the right to a moment with Lizzy like this ever again...but you can do your best now.

"Uhhff." She's not heavy, and he's not hurt, but some wind is knocked out of him. "Good work, Ensign," he adds quickly. "You would have passed my first class with flying colors."

He lets that sit for just a moment. "But..."

Graham's jaw tightens slightly. Her form was good enough for lesson one, but not nearly as good as he wants it to be when the shit hits the fan.

"But you still fell down. On your attacker. That's OK now, even funny..." He clears his throat. "But not OK in real life...because, for example, things can get worse not better," he says calmly...

Graham takes hold of her arms between her elbows and shoulders and rolls over, pinning her beneath him. He doesn't hold as hard or press as close as best practice would dictate - her arms have a little room to wiggle, he keeps his and her privates apart and doesn't press down against her chest - these all give her more opportunities to fight back, but he's trying to build trust as a teacher, not teach an overconfident rockhead of a cadet a lesson.

"This is a bad situation," he says calmly and quietly, hoping to get her to think through it. "The kind we want to avoid by staying focused. So...let's just talk through it..."

Mid-laugh, Kylah barely catches her breath when the game suddenly changes. Somehow she is on her back.
    Somehow they are on the bed. One man danced her over; the other incapacitated then carried her. But both times, it ends with her on her back.

No, not ends. Begins. The nightmares are still to come.
    Kylah's arms are grasped by strong fingers, her body trapped in the prison of Lt. Graham's larger form. His weight is not bearing down too heavily, but it does not matter.
    The mindless, blissful languor caused by the spores in Jan Švehla's body--together with his own rising passion--radiate toward her thanks to her empathic senses unwillingly bound to his, keeping her captive. Her body reacts, but what Kylah herself wants does not matter.
    The joy she just experienced dissipates in an instant, and her breath leaves her lungs as if a steel beam fell upon her chest. That image of black silk again flashes through her mind, and despite the warmth from exertion and his body heat, Kylah's skin ripples with instinctive, icy terror.
    In her room, Darren Zweller places the ice-cold metal device against her spine and in mere seconds of pain that branches like lightning through her nerve endings, she is left numb, collapsing into his waiting arms. Unable to speak. Unable to shake her head no when he bends over her...
    Perspiration clammy on her skin, paralyzed like a mouse in the claws of a cat, Kylah can barely manage to shake her head. Again in her mind, there is that same black material. Rippling, silky black...
    In his hotel room earlier, Jan expertly untied the strings holding her black dress's halter top, leaving her half naked. Now upon his bed, the dress is slipped away entirely--without a word of warning, much less a request of permission. There is nothing between them. She is chilled, then cold, and then--when his hands bring unwanted sensations--burning with the heat of fear, shame and anger. She cannot do this.
    Kylah looks up into familiar eyes but sees nothing. "No," she says hoarsely. "I cannot do this."

Graham by general_urko, Kylah by choie, traumas by previous missions.
    Last edited by choie; 21 Sep 2018 at 09:48 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Devereaux makes a face. "Oh, not much. Just counting the days until we reach that godsforsaken mining colony... and then there'll be nothing for me to do. It's just a rock." She follows his gaze to Kylah and Graham. "She seems to be having a good time," she says archly. "No surprise there, eh?"

Registered
    Apr 2015

Even Nia is startled when Booker takes advantage of Kylah's temporary moment of pride and uncharacteristic glee to grab the girl and flip her on her back, rolling atop her as if he’s about to--

...Well, it's not that far from some of the more pleasantly assertive moves he's performed in Nia's bed. Nia pushes the thought away.

Now it's Kylah who Nia can't really see, just her massive clump of black hair, while Book stares intently down at the girl. Nia's face warms, because, yeah, she knows what he looks like from that angle. And, damn it, she doesn't relish watching him and some other woman in this intimate pose.

She can't help a swift glance at Rangin, and does a slight doubletake when she recognizes the trim figure of Lt. Devereaux close to him. Quite close. Hmm. Maybe he's distracted.

Nia returns to the pair on the mat. Swallowing, she reminds herself that Booker's clearly training the ensign--who obviously needs it. Makes perfect sense to remind her of the danger of clumsily letting down her guard. Far as Nia can see, the junior officer's arms are pinned and legs almost entirely covered by Booker's bulk. That’s just about the worst defensive position one can be in, even if you're not so much smaller and...what, twenty kilos? Thirty?...lighter than your opponent.

With this set-up, Booker's not making it easy for her, that's for damn sure. Nia squints and bends to one side, taking a closer look. Ah, okay, he's giving her some breathing space. Good, 'cause she hasn't got a chance in hell otherwise.

As seconds tick by, Nia waits for Kylah to make some move. "C'mon, do something," she finds herself urging in a nearly inaudible whisper. Her elbows bend, unconsciously mimicking Kylah's position, then she twists to the right. "Roll those damn shoulders off the floor," she hisses under her breath. "Hook your right foot over his. You've got room, use it!"

Her hands are in fists now, frustrated by Kylah's apparent impotence--the younger woman might as well have been stunned. Or maybe she just likes having Booker on top of her. Wouldn't be the only one.

Nia grits her teeth. Yeah, that's not a worthwhile direction for her mind to take. Instead, since mentally coaching the student isn't working, she switches to the trainer. Face it, Book, the tough-guy tactics aren't working. She's both inept and hopelessly clueless. Tell her what to do!
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 22 Sep 2018 at 06:56 AM.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel is barely able to control his anger. It is all he could to do stop himself from tearing the nurse a new one in the heat of the moment But he wants get his patient taken care of, this time properly, first. After she had been quarantined, he examines her. He hopes this staff’s incompetence hadn’t had hindered his patient’s recovery —- or made her worse.

Registered
    Sep 2009

A thorough exam and scan shows that Mrs. Kostovyev's situation is stable. She is uncomfortable and unhappy, but does not appear either worse or better than when Dr. Bennett last saw her.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin chuckles quietly to Vivian, “Well, if I had just taken down one of the larger, grouchier members of Security, I would probably be enjoying it too.” He gestures to the fact that he is a few inches shorter than most.

The he notices Graham take control of the situation again and Rangin rolls his eyes at the move. No, Graham couldn’t let anyone be happy and reset, he just has to be in charge. Rangin turns back to Vivian and puts on his best naturalist documentary voice.

“And here, in the confines of the gym, the male, his pride wounded by the attack of the female, asserts his right to be the dominant, aggressive member of the species by showing his physical prowess…”

The sentence tails off as Rangin begins to feel uncomfortable for some reason.

He has been in that situation before, unable to act, trapped, a rainy night...and his ribs being to twinge slightly. Trying to push the memory to one side, not wanting to remember or inflict those feelings on anyone around, looks back and switches the conversation around. “So anyway, about this rock you will be bored on, surely there has to be something unusual about it?”

Registered
    Sep 2009

Devereaux covers her mouth and laughs at Rangin's joke about the pride-wounded male. She says, "Not that I know of, although I heard a rumor that its star - I should say, one of its stars - is acting a little oddly."

Registered
    May 2013

Encouraged by Kylah's positive reaction to a single taste of success, Graham hopes they can end on a similar note, despite what seems to be her initial surprise.

"It's OK," he says reassuringly. "Just relax, just relax."

He hopes a moment's pause enables her to recover from the shock. Then he continues. "If I try to do anything besides hold you down, it can change an apparently no-win situation..."

As he says this, he lowers his legs just slightly to where they make just a little contact with Kylah's so she can feel his weight shifting, and moves his right arm sort of vaguely between over her face-neck-chest...not aggressively one way or another, but enough to enable her to react to something other than his full attention to holding her in place.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Relax...

Kylah's stomach churns. He thinks she wants this. Or he does not care. If he did he would have listened to her. But instead he is closing in, blocking out the light and air.

For a few terrifying seconds, she cannot move or breathe. Is she paralyzed again? From Jan's spores, from Darren's weapon...?

Just his touch is enough to freeze her muscles. This man can do whatever he likes because she is utterly useless. No strength. No power. Her hands are rigid and cold, his breath wet and hot against her skin...

No. No no no! She remembers a mouth on hers, her mouth unable to stop from responding. With Jan she was influenced by his rush of passion, with Darren she was utterly incapable of movement. Both times her protests were smothered.

She should fight him off. But it is all she can do to force her lungs to open, to suck in all the air she can. With a sudden, shuddering gasp she manages to inhale, which gives her the strength to jerk her face to the side. Her eyes squeeze shut as if that will hide her.

At last she has enough oxygen to plead, to demand: "I--I cannot, I do not want this! Let me go, please let me go!"

Where is her knife? He took it, without asking, like he took me... Her communicator--even if she could reach it, it is destroyed, melted.

"It is not fair," she half-sobs, half-growls. "There is nothing I can--I am trapped, I do not know what to do!"

Somewhere she hears him say: "Sure you do." She can almost feel him shaking his head. "This isn't a test. What are your instincts? Take a second to think about what where I might be vulnerable--"

"No! Leave me alone!" And, calling on some reserve of strength, she squirms to make it harder for him to hold on to his possession, and tugs and tugs at her restrained arms until one elbow breaks free.

It is difficult to gain leverage but Kylah gathers herself and jabs her elbow into his chest. The attack has little chance of injuring someone his size, but it does seem to set him back a bit. Which allows Kylah to kick herself over to her stomach and free both arms out from under her.

But it is a false victory. Nails scrabbling at the mat, sweaty palms slipping, she cannot dig in or find purchase, nothing that will let her crawl or drag herself away. For all her efforts, he still looms over her. She is still his captive.

This failure drains Kylah's last energy, and she collapses, hyperventilating and beginning to moan. "Not again, please--please not again..."
    Last edited by choie; 24 Sep 2018 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Kylah by choie, Graham by general_urko

Registered
    Sep 2009

Several people in the Gym rush over to help Kylah. One, who looks to Graham like she might be from India, pulls out a communicator. She says, "Lt. Mukherjee to Sickbay. Medical emergency in the Gym."

Dr. Bennett hears the call come in over the Sickbay intercom.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia watches as Kylah’s elbow slams into Booker, hard enough for Nia to wince in sympathy. Then Kylah's movements turn frenzied, chaotic. An animal thrashing wildly while caught in a trap.

After somehow getting to her stomach, the girl tries to drag herself out from under Booker, toward Nia's side of the gym. And for one second Kylah looks up, ahead of her--right at Nia, so it seems, but Nia sees no sign of recognition.

What she does see is sheer panic. Helplessness. Desperation. Dread.

Nia straightens, adrenaline flooding her senses in some instinctive reaction that's ancient, primitive. Deep in her bones, Nia knows Kylah is in extreme and very genuine emotional distress.

And as a woman who's been under someone else's control... as a mother five times over who's never raised her daughters but aches for them every day... Nia can't stand by and watch.

Just as she starts forward, Kylah stops fighting all at once, body limp, head face down in an pose of submission so familiar it fills Nia with vile memories, with nausea. She swallows it all back and finally looks at Booker. Does he realize what's going on, what he seems to have unwittingly unleashed? He must. He must understand this is very real.

Then the whole gym comes to life and apparently no one understands what the hell psychological trauma requires, crowding Kylah like vultures near fresh carrion.

"Get away from her, all of you!" Nia snaps. "Give her some space and air, now!"

She then darts a look at Lt. Mukherjee, who she's never seen before. "You might make things worse. She's not sick, she needs quiet, she needs calm. She most definitely does not need to be swarmed by a med team! Tell them to stand down--or at least, stay back until we know they're needed."

Nia swallows and gets to her knees beside Kylah--but not too close--and looks up at Booker. He's not just security, he's ACoS, his authority probably holds more sway than hers.

And he cares about Kylah more than anyone else here does.

Nia wishes she could transmit her thoughts to him, but--in lieu of that--lets her eyes speak for her. Of course, Rangin's here too, somewhere, but... who the hell knows what's going on in that cool customer's brain.

"Ensign Kylah," she murmurs, quiet enough to cut through the blather of the clucking hens around her. She's still watching Booker as she continues softly: "It's okay. You're safe. Try to slow your breathing. Inhale, use your belly. Tighten your lips and breathe through them. Can you hear me, Ensign?" Nia frowns at herself and looks at the girl before amending more gently: "Kylah?"
    Last edited by choie; 25 Sep 2018 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Had no choice, darn it!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Lt. Mukherjee looks briefly affronted but backs off when Onn kneels down beside Kylah.

In Sickbay, Dr. Bennett hears Mukherjee say, "Belay that request, Sickbay, and stand by, please. We might not need a med team after all."

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin smiles at Vivian's response, "As you say, it's a rock, so little chance of any new plant or animal that has not been thoroughly examined. I'm likely to be as bored as you are and I think I-Spy has limited options," he shakes his head in mock disgust, "something beginning with R. Rock. Repeat for hours..."

It's then he hears the commotion behind him and a sudden wave of nausea and paralysis sweeps over him. Grabbing without thinking at the column next to him, he steadies himself, as he hears the call from Lt. Mukherjee for a medical emergency., followed by Lt. Onn's barked orders for people to move.

Rangin's training kicks in, he may not be a fully qualified Federation Doctor, but he knows more than enough emergency first aid and anything he can do to help now could be vital. Turning round to the scene behind, he croaks out "I'd better help," to the Lt alongside before going to provide assistance.

"Ok, First Aid Coming Through", he calls out abruptly, so effective at getting people to move out of the way, "Everyone Back Up." The sharp tones always seemed to add that extra level of authority that people respond to unknowingly. Ignoring all but Lt. Onn, he starts to check Kylah over. “You're correct Ma’am. Shock. Help me get her into a better position.”

As he is informing Lt. Onn what to do he takes hold of Kylah’s wrist to check her pulse and it's only his training that keeps him from balling up alongside her. Indistinct flashes of two men and two situations run through his mind as if he was in a movie and unable to escape from the peril he is in. “Ok. Let's get her more comfortable. Let her recover. Pulse is ok-ish.”

Registered
    May 2013

The rapid fire cascade is still re-playing itself in Graham's mind as he tries to come to grips with what's happened.

He's sure he doesn't feel as bad as Kylah does, but suspects he may look as bad, as he feels like all the blood's drained from his face...

Thank god for Nia, he thinks, as she appears out of nowhere...

...and 'please not again.' Again after what, when, who...

He gets up and backs off slightly, about to say 'give them some space,' when a prime suspect also appears out of nowhere.

There's no other way to go but to proceed and deal with what comes if his suspicions turn out to be correct - for once, he actually hopes he's wrong.

"OK," he rasps, then gets better control over his voice. He works to keep his voice calm, although he's shaken. "OK, give them some space." He takes another step back himself.
    Last edited by general_urko; 25 Sep 2018 at 08:08 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah's every muscle tightens and awaits the inevitable--being grabbed, controlled, forced. Her heart thumps against her chest and no matter how much she breathes there is not enough air.

But no one touches her...yet. Instead she hears a white noise of exclamations and conversation, indistinguishable from within the bubble of fear. A crowd, viewing her degradation? Such cruelty is an additional and unexpected horror.

Then a delicate voice says her name. Not Jan, not Darren Zweller. A woman, closer than the rest. Non-threatening. Kylah turns toward her, peeking through the damp hair covering her face. A gold uniform. Starfleet. And this person radiates an odd mixture of fear and authority as she speaks.

Kylah begins to recognize the words--breathing instructions--and follows them, counterintuitive though they feel; she needs more air, not less. But the fog of terror does start to dissipate, especially as she focuses on this woman's eyes.

Just as she gets more of her senses back, someone new comes toward her. Not calm. Not female. Voice sharp. And out of nowhere a hand slips around her wrist, bringing with it a surge of electric, telepathic energy that makes Kylah gasp.

Somehow--somehow the threatening mental images of Jan and Darren are now stronger, as if doubled, as if echoed by this person's mind. A mind she knows: Velir. He should be comforting but he is not, he is projecting these vile images...

"Stop!!" Kylah jerks out of his grasp and cringes away, crawling backward into a seated position. She hugs herself as her blurred, betrayed gaze accuses Velir. "How are you doing this? You were not there! Tell me you were not..."

Her words trail off. The act of speaking has jolted her, made her aware of the surroundings. An audience of officers, none of them familiar. It is only when she identifies the gym that everything floods back. This was just training. No real danger, no degradation. If there is shame, she brought it on herself.

"Oh no," she whispers, aghast. All she can do is return to the woman--Lt. Onn, she recognizes now. Kylah's arms reach out before she reins in her impulse to hang onto the older woman.
    Last edited by choie; 26 Sep 2018 at 02:24 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia's dry throat swallows. "It's all right," she says again, keeping her voice modulated. She can't help a confused glance at Rangin. He meant no harm; to the contrary, he was just taking Kylah's pulse, an understandable instinct.

But if this is what Nia thinks it is--a panic attack--it's likely that anything might be perceived as a threat.

And yet, Kylah's position, which leans her closer to Nia, seems to imply she does need some physical comfort. Probably something to ground her in the present. To remind her that she's here, and now, not... wherever her mind just took her.

Nia inhales and, with a small smile, holds out her palm, open, ready just in case the girl is willing to take it. "It's okay," she assures her. "We're all here to help you."

Registered
    Mar 2012

The sentiment is kind but Kylah is not so certain. Already she can pick out some less-than-generous emotions from some of the people surrounding her. Maybe pity, maybe morbid curiosity, maybe contempt.

But none of that is in Lt. Onn's face. Kylah focuses there. And doing so makes her remember...

She turns around slowly and sees the man standing behind her. Again: Not Darren Zweller, not Jan Švehla. Not even Felim Palver or the kidnappers on Anubis who beat her and left her for dead. Just Lt. Graham, who was only trying to help, whom she begged for help. And now appears almost as shaken as she feels.

She cannot imagine what her reaction looked like to him. She owes him an apology.

But Kylah cannot bear to say anything while watched by this crowd; especially Velir. He has a desire to help--it is manifest, she can feel it without looking in his direction. But it is dwarfed by visions of her attackers, as if seen through a series of mirrors, each bouncing infinite reflections the sources of her terror back at her.

Kylah shudders and switches her desperate gaze from Lt. Graham to Lt. Onn. "Please," she whispers, and tentatively clasps the hand that the older woman has held open all this time. But she stares up to Lt. Graham when she asks: "Help me. All these people... I must get out of here."
    Last edited by choie; 26 Sep 2018 at 01:01 AM.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin sits back on his haunches as Kylah cringes away from him, as though seeking protection from him. The indistinct flashes fade the instant she had pulled her wrist from where he is trying to get a pulse.Shocked by her action, her demeanour and her accusation, there is little he can do but settle back away from her.

“Sick bay. Help her out”, he half mumbles trying to come to terms with what just happened. He looks down at his hand, trying to understand the sensation that had flowed through it seconds previously. “Be careful. Don't touch skin.” He hopes his warning is enough for any others to help Kylah out whoever that may be.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia automatically frowns and switches her worried gaze from Ensign Rangin down to her own hand, which Kylah is grasping without any apparent distress.

She has no idea what's going on, or what under the dying sun just happened between Kylah and Rangin. But she doesn't think the girl needs or wants Sickbay or a doctor. A head doctor, maybe. For now, privacy is the only prescription Nia would make.

"Come on," she says quietly to Kylah. "You okay to get up?"

She rises to her feet, helping the younger officer stand. In doing so, Nia coaxes her to turn away from the crowd, which Kylah does, very willingly. Once Kylah appears to be steady on her feet, Nia turns to Booker.

Though she speaks in an undertone--"Let's get her somewhere quiet"--she maintains an encouraging look that communicates beyond words... a fleeting smile that reads: C'mon, Book. She obviously trusts you. Don't back away from her.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 26 Sep 2018 at 07:29 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Those gathered around begin drifting away and returning to their exercise or sports. Both Lts. Mukherjee and Devereaux linger, looking concerned... or skeptical.

Registered
    May 2013

Kylah's initial reaction to Rangin nearly pivots Graham from shaken to hellbent on arresting him right then, Vargas' previous orders to steer clear of him be damned, but "you were not that" douses any incipient anger with concerned curiosity.

Whether Rangin's a bastard or not, whatever has happened to Kylah on- or off-ship is not as simple as just him being a bad guy.

On or off ship. Video surveillance. OCIII's cameras... Requesting onboard surveillance...

OK Booker, this is your job.

"OK, OK folks, she's just a little shaken up. It happens, no biggie. As you were," he says, glancing around. He spares a glance toward Rangin which is, Graham is half-surprised to admit, more inquisitive than hostile.

He's back on the job now. Though still shaken, he lets his posture and body language convey that he expects the onlookers to disburse in short order. He moves and crouches slightly, making sure Nia is between him and Kylah.

"Lt. Onn, if you'd be so kind as to give Mr. Kylah a hand, ah...walking this off...," he asks quietly. He lowers his voice a bit more and leans forward just a bit. "Mr. Kylah has expressed some...concerns...about shipboard security, and I've been...remiss...in not, uh, taking following up. If we'd like to walk in the direction of her quarters, that's as good a place to start a, ah - an review of our protocols as any."

Registered
    Mar 2012

If Kylah could drag Lt. Onn forward--if Kylah only had the energy to do so--she would. Escaping the gym is uppermost in her mind. ...And after that, taking a shower, drinking a steaming hot chocolate and crawling beneath her bedcovers.

Instead she continues to hold the woman's hand, letting the older woman's steady, warm strength draw up into Kylah's body. Comforted, she tentatively takes her left hand and curls it around Lt. Onn's forearm. Both hands now allow her to lean against the helm officer for support--like a crutch.

She hears Lt. Graham murmuring, but she cannot hear him through the storm of her own thoughts. But she does catch something about accompanying her to her quarters. "Yes," she says, almost to herself. "Please. I do not want to go there alone."

Registered
    Apr 2015

In the corridor, Nia absently runs her knuckles against Kylah's right arm where it leans against her, a consoling, comforting gesture she remembers from her mother. "Don't worry, Kylah. We'll be with you."

But the majority of her attention is riveted on the man to her left. Booker's quiet words belie what Nia suspects is a roiling tempest brewing inside.

Especially when he reveals a surprising admission. "Increase shipboard security?" she says, barely remembering to keep her voice soft. "Her incidents were all on different planets, weren't they? I think it's understandable you balked at that. We've already got more security officers than any other ship I've been on."

She turns briefly to check on Kylah, whose eyes are closed but forehead wrinkled with a frown. The girl is practically sleepwalking, or at least is in her own world. But Nia doesn't stop her gentle caress of her arm. To be honest, it's helping calm her down, maybe even more than Kylah.

Back to Graham, she tries to read his face. "You're not blaming yourself, are you? I mean...okay, stupid question. Of course you are, because Booker Graham's responsible for everyone he meets."

Nia softens the sarcasm with a rueful smile. "You've only been ACoS for, like, five minutes. You can't be expected to reshape the entire Security department in your image in two days. Especially a request that comes outta nowhere like this. You get that, right?"

Registered
    Jan 2018

With Kylah escorted away by Lt. Onn, Rangin rises slowly as the crowd disperses . He looks down at his hand wondering what just happened, before taking a deep breath and trying not to think back over what his jumbled thoughts keep wanting to tell him. Another part of him suggests getting drunk to forget what just happened, only to be hit by a sudden wave of terror that recedes as quickly as it had arrived.

Looking round he can still see the friendly face of Lt. Devereaux and he steps across to acknowledge her. "Somehow, I think life is not going to be boring, even orbiting a rock," he continues the previous conversation. "That was a little shocking to say the least."

Registered
    May 2013

Nia's care for Kylah and trying to piece the threads together in his head are like lifelines...pulling him toward focusing on the present and future rather than any number of what-ifs and coulda-shoulda's of the past.

His initial response to Nia is nearly a grunt. "I...it's...complicated. Previous mission. Just 'cause I wasn't ACOS doesn't mean I had more years on the job than most anybody..."

His voice is low, his shoulders tense, but somehow talking about it draws him toward being more reflective...thoughtful about what next rather than brooding on the past...

It's the weirdest damned feeling, given the circumstances, but somehow the three of them walking slowly grounds him. "But we'll get to the bottom of things, and set things right," he says quietly but with complete determination.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Devereaux nods, frowning, and says, "It certainly was. What happened? Is she going to be all right?"

Kylah, Onn and Graham soon arrive at the door to the young Elasian officer's quarters.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah has slowed down--not that she was walking quickly in the first place--the nearer they got to her quarters. This portion of her journey always reminds her of finding Darren, waiting outside her door. It is why she usually approaches from the other direction.

When she hesitates before entering, Lt. Onn asks gently if Kylah would like someone to see her safely into the room. The suggestion is thoughtful, although Kylah fears she would look like a child, afraid of monsters under her bed. Still, she nods her head.

Lt. Onn murmurs something to Lt. Graham before following Kylah--alone, as it happens. The Lieutenant looks around, noting the empty side of the room. "You have this to yourself?"

"Yes. Since Lt. Collins left." Kylah casts her gaze toward what used to be Jeremi's bed--but has been where Kylah has slept, ever since it became free. She does not want to sleep in her old one anymore. "It is large for one person, I know. Perhaps it would be... more companionable to have a roommate. The Quartermaster gave me the option, but at the time I did not want to be near anyone." She moves slowly toward her dresser, where she opens the top drawer. "You... you have your own room as well. Do you prefer being alone?"

Lt. Onn gives a low chuckle. "Having one's own quarters and being alone are not necessarily the same thing. I don't lack for company." She hesitates. "If you're asking why I get my own quarters, it's a matter of atmosphere. I need special accommodations 'cause of who, or I guess what, I am. Sidonians need more warmth and less humidity than most warm-blooded humanoids prefer."

Kylah finds herself hesitating before moving to her closet, needing to change from the bodysuit. Lt. Onn tilts her head to the door. "Look. You're safe in here. You're safe on the ship. Unless we're boarded--and I don't need a single hand to count the times that's happened on board a ship of this class--I promise you have nothing to worry about."

"No one can guarantee safety!" Kylah blurts, her hand sliding the closet door open with a harsh slam. She stares into the sea of uniforms, some civilian dresses, and a pastel rainbow of filmy nightwear. "This ship is not perfect. Not all enemies travel in Birds of Prey, or wear battle armor." Tired, she pulls her fleecy bathrobe off its hanger and hugs it to her chest. "Jan wore a suit," she whispers, although she mostly recalls his bare chest. "And Darren still has his uniform."

"Who wore a suit? What are you talking about?"

Kylah swiftly turns, hardly realizing she spoke aloud. Even if she could not sense the other woman's sudden alertness, Lt. Onn's piercing expression reveals that she heard more than Kylah intended. "I--Nothing. No one. At least... I am sorry, I need to get out of these clothes and rinse off. I appreciate your help, but--"

"Kylah." Lt. Onn takes a few steps closer, but keeps a respectful distance. "What you need is to stop apologizing and start talking. Not to me--I understand we barely know each other." Her voice softens. "Though I'd like to rectify that, if you're game. But you've gotta share whatever's happened to you--and yes, I know, something has happened. I saw you in that gym. Something triggered you. You were fighting for your life out there, and I don't think for a moment it was just practice."

Alarmed, and again claustrophobic, Kylah unconsciously steps backward. "No. I... You do not know me. You cannot know--"

"Bull. Of course I can. A lot of women--people--can. Brutality is universal and it doesn't care what rank or race or age or size or gender or Federation member status you are." Lt. Onn sucks in her lips until they're a thin line, then releases them. "Look. Like I said, you don't have to talk to me. But someone. And I think it should be the person you're closest to."

Kylah stares down at the robe, vision fading with tears. "I do not have anyone close any more."

"Well... that's bull too. I know at least one guy who's dying to be close to you. And he's standing outside that door."

When Kylah looks up in surprise, Lt. Onn goes on: "Talk to Lt. Gra--oh, to hell with formality, I'm gonna call him Booker. You saw us in my quarters, no need to pretend he's just a colleague." She shakes her head. "Anyway... you mean a lot to him, and if someone can make your problems go away... or at least, make 'em better... Booker's the guy most willing to do it."

She suddenly looks past Kylah to the small digital chronometer on the nightstand. "Crap. I've got a meeting with Cmdr. Vargas any minute. I'm sorry, I need to--"

"Do not apologize. You have been..." Kylah bites her lip, again focusing on the bunched-up bathrobe in her arms. "I am very, very grateful for your help."

With a final goodbye, Lt. Onn leaves, the door whooshing open and shut. Kylah thinks of Lt. Graham standing outside her door, like a bodyguard, and she takes a long, long inward breath. Her sigh relaxes almost all her tense muscles.

Feeling safe for the first time in a while, she slips off the bodysuit and rushes through her shower.
    Last edited by choie; 30 Sep 2018 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Kylah by me, Nia by whatsername.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Before following Kylah into her quarters, Nia turns quickly to Booker.

"Let me go in. Just me, for now. I'm gonna try like hell to get her to open up, because if she doesn't, the next meltdown might be on the Bridge."

She places a hand on his chest, thumb gently caressing the material of his uniform right over his heart. "I doubt she'll speak to me. But you, on the other hand... you might be her savior, in more ways than one, Book."

She smiles up at him and hurries to join Kylah inside.

After their brief and not terribly productive talk, Nia frowns unseen while the young woman nearly weeps into the soft, fluffy material she's cradling in her arms like a baby.

When she says goodnight, Nia moves swiftly from the room and lets the door close behind her. She hopes to find Booker still waiting.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham paces outside the door to Kylah's quarters, waiting for Nia to emerge. What he wants to do is get Ens. Kylah's permission to download access logs to her quarters and put monitor going forward--the latter mostly for her peace of mind, the former because he wants to know what, if anything, happened on the ship to make her so concerned about onboard security...

He recognizes this particular moment may not be the time to push on any or all of that, however. And considers but dismisses trying to come up with a reason to justify it as a Security matter without her permission - the last thing she seems to want is more attention. Can't imagine what would happen if somebody in Security or Vargas, god forbid, were to ask her about it

He finds himself unconsciously pacing back and forth in front of the door as he runs through what the hell could possibly have gone on, off- and on- ship, when the door opens.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia gives a long exhale, relieved to see Booker--not that she thought he'd leave, but after the tension in Kylah's quarters, just his presence acts as a balm. Even though the man himself is stalking back and forth like a caged tiger.

"Okay, Book," she says, touching his arm when he comes nearer. "She's just going to shower and change. I think she'll talk to you. To be honest, I think whatever secrets she's carrying around are pretty much bursting at the seams. She said some things implying..."

Nia pauses to consider, then shakes her head. "I don't know. She is really paranoid about being on the ship. I don't get it. I know she's been through stuff on a couple missions, and all that Anubis mess, but why she suddenly sees the Yorktown as an enemy is beyond me."

Her mind churns on a few random moments from her talk with Kylah, turns back. "She did mumble something, kind of under her breath. Two names. First sounded like Yon, or Yomm... I didn't hear it too clearly. There was this rat-faced guy named Yommyck, during the CAG mission. He's the one who nearly shot me up in that stairwell, so I'm not exactly a fan, but I don't think Kylah ever got near him. Our teams hadn't joined up yet."

Nia frowns, then shakes it off. "The other name was... maybe Tarren? Darren? Not sure. She was basically talking to her clothes at that point. We do have a Mr. Therin... he's in shuttle maintenance, I see him relatively often. Andorian. I can't imagine..." She shrugs. "Anything's possible with anyone. But there's been no violence on the ship that I know of. Your desire to knock Rangin's block off aside," she adds with an arched brow.

"Anyway, I'm sorry I didn't catch them more clearly, but when I tried to get her to repeat 'em, she brushed me off like I'd been hallucinating. Do either of those names sound familiar?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 30 Sep 2018 at 09:19 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham freezes when Nia puts a hand on his arm and takes a deep breath. Breathing in all the more deeply to take in her, the way she smells just being there. He massively un-tenses as she speaks, until the 'Yon' comment.

He listens, briefly closing her eyes, then spins and smacks a hand against the bulkhead across from the entrance to Kylah's quarters.

"Jan. Dammit." He's not stupid enough to hurt himself, but it's a strong enough blow that it smarts. He shakes his head. "There was this rich scumbag on an away mission on OCIII...dammit." He takes a deep breath. "I loved Collins like a sister, but I let her call me off when my instincts were..." He calms himself down and rubs his head. "Well, fuck.

"And..well, I'm not sold Rangin isn't a five-star bastard, but I don't think this is about him." He can't help but chuckle. "And for god's sake not Nor Mr. Therin in Eng."

After another deep breath he reaches for Nia's hand. "I just..." He squeezes it gently. "Thank you for helping her, Nia."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Booker's sudden violence takes Nia aback--so much that defensive scales automatically prickle into existence along her arms, chest and face. To hide this from him, she quickly turns and gazes at Kylah's door, as if contemplating the girl's situation. Meanwhile, still listening, she breathes deeply to calm and retract her biological armor.

OCIII. That's where all the gossip about her and that celebrity and a bunch of other guys started. Shit, what really happened out there?

When everything's back to normal she gladly looks back at Book, who's done beating himself up--physically, anyway. Obviously he's not gonna stop owning the blame for some reason.

She returns his squeeze. "Well... no need to thank me, really. I had to do something. Back in the gym, the way she looked, trying to escape... I know that feeling." Her shoulders lift in a dismissive shrug before she steps a little closer and takes a deep breath.

"Look. I don't know what went down on that planet. It's not my business, unless Kylah wants me to know, which seems... unlikely. But lemme just say this. Collins might've been your 'little sister,' but she outranked you. If she ordered you to stand down, you had no real choice. Wasn't this your first mission here, too?"

She doesn't bother waiting for a nod--she knows his history. "Anyway, I bet if Collins ever learns about... whatever happened with this guy... she'd probably kick herself even worse. And I also bet that if she did, you'd be the first person giving a pep talk to reassure her. Wouldn't you?"

Nia peers up at him, searching his face. "Can't you try aiming some of that same forgiveness at yourself, honey?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 01 Oct 2018 at 03:36 AM.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel wonders, briefly, what the call concerning Kylah is about. He considers if he should investigate, but knowing her propensity for drama, it is probably much ado about nothing and she’d probably prove to be more annoying than she had been — if that is possible. Besides, if it’s really serious, he’d hear about it soon enough.

For the moment, now that his flu patient is in quarantine and resting, even if she hadn’t improved, he needs to find out why his orders hadn’t been followed. This incident is unacceptable, not just because of the risk to his patient, but some people around here clearly needed to be reminded who is in charge around here.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's just barely conscious of Nia's use of the term of endearment..."honey." Not expected, but it kind of rolls like water and feels right...

Even though--or maybe because?--it wasn't a word Jane used much...

"Well," he replies. "If you ask like that..." He sighs, but then smiles.

Nia knows nothing she says will be enough to let himself off the hook--but hey, she had to try. "Well... I hope you're wrong about Rangin. And right about Therin. But don't count him out automatically. Andorans run deep, and they can be a helluva lot stronger and sneakier than they look."

Her head cocks to one side. "Actually, it'd be easy for me to just ask around casually. I spend a lot of time in the shuttlebay, and the talk gets pretty salty among--"

The word cuts off, because just the thought of Engineering reminds her... "Damn. That's twice I've forgotten my meeting. And I'm sure as hell not gonna use Kylah as an excuse with Vargas." She pulls out her communicator to double-check the time, then makes a low groan of frustration.

"I'm sorry, Book, really need to get going. We'll catch up later on things? I want to know how things go with her. And I may need some comforting after dealing with Vargas."

Nia glances around, and again, if the corridor is clear, leans forward to kiss Booker. "If we are getting more security, there won't be any more of that. Or at least, we'll have to get a lot more creative." She steps back and, unusually for her, feels self-conscious enough to pat her heavy knot of hair, which she really should've checked on back in Kylah's quarters. It still feels pinned up in a somewhat severe look, but she's moved around a lot more than she expected since she got herself ready.

"So... this is my I want a promotion look. Do I pass?"

"Flying colors," Graham answers. He smiles again. "Now go on, don't keep the Old Man waiting on account of me."

There are times when the first word that comes to mind when Nia grins is "wicked." This is one of them, he notes, seconds after she grins, turns, and moves double time down the corridor.

He makes a point of watching her until she turns out of sight.

All right, well, here goes, he thinks.

He presses the chime on Kylah's door. "Mr. Kylah, it's Lt. Graham. I--if you're comfortable talking for a bit, I'd like to, ah...but if not, it's, uh, definitely not an order."

Nia by SidonianGal, Graham by general_urko
    Last edited by choie; 02 Oct 2018 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Added Nia's name at the beginning to ground the POV. That's all!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah, in her robe, is rubbing her hair with a towel when her door chimes. A little stab of alarm hits her before she hears Lt. Graham's voice.

She instinctively looks down. Far from her usual Elasian nightwear, she's wrapped in the thick terry-cloth robe, which provides more body coverage than anything else she owns, including her uniform.

Dropping the towel on her desk, she lets her damp curls fall loose as she crosses the room. She steels herself and lifts a hand to open the door through its manual controls.

When she sees Lt. Graham, Kylah shakes her head in disbelief. "She said you would be out there," Kylah says quietly, as if continuing a conversation rather than starting one. "I trusted her, but did not really think you would wait..." She hesitates, then realizes someone might see her standing in a robe talking with a man. "Please, come in," she murmurs and backs out of the way.

She adds fervently. "It is very generous of you. Especially after the way I behaved earlier. I am so sorry, sir. You did not deserve..." Her hand lifts weakly, as if gesturing toward everything that occurred in the gym.

Dropping her arm, she shakes her head. "You did nothing but try to help me. And yet, despite the way I treated you, you stayed here all this time?" Kylah forces herself to meet his gaze. "You have extraordinary patience. I do not know why you waste it on me, but I--" She swallows, her throat tight. "I am very grateful that you do."
    Last edited by choie; 02 Oct 2018 at 05:27 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

In the Turbolift, Nia tries to pack away everything that just happened, all the feelings churned up by both Kylah's issues and Nia's deepening connection with Booker. It's a lot to deal with, especially for someone who's always tried to travel light, so to speak. Free of... free of attachment.

A meeting with the ship's First Officer, especially this one--and for this purpose--sure as hell ain't the time to have a mind cluttered with that kinda stuff. So she takes some deep breaths, imagines all the drama rinsing away as if by a cool rainshower, and toughens up.

Once she reaches the right level, she exits and heads for Vargas's office, head high and determined. On the way she checks her chronometer to see whether she's early or late, or preferably right on time.

Registered
    Sep 2009

There are about a dozen people on duty in Sickbay that Dr. Bennett might ask about Mrs. Kostoyev's treatment, including his superior officer, the Yorktown's CMO, Dr. Villa.

Lt. Onn is just a minute late as she comes to a stop in front of Cmdr. Vargas's office door on Deck 17. Several other crewmembers pass her in the corridor; a Science ensign she doesn't recognize smiles at her.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel is about to press the communicator button in his office to call in the nurse he has spoken to earlier about his flu patient's care when he realizes there is something more immediate he needs to be concerned with. He curses himself and thinks sometimes his ego gets in the way of things. It has cost him before and he can't afford to let that happen again -- not here He really should have her husband -- and anyone she came in contact with recently checked out. The last thing he needs is an epidemic. Nathaniel's concern grows when he realizes the husband was at the party last night.

With that dire thought in mind, Nathaniel presses the communicator button in his office.

"Mr. Kostoyev. This is Dr. Bennett in Sickbay." Nathaniel says. "Could you please come to my office immediately. It's urgent."

+ Reply to thread