+ Reply to thread
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #6: "Marala"

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham's pleased to see Nia's still in Engineering as he takes his leave of Cheverez--although the downside is he feels compelled to get up to Sickbay to ask about Rangin's condition. Now that I'm ACOS, I should at least ask if the docs see any evidence of foul play.

He can't help but smile - Nia looks relaxed and happy. Huh, yeah, kind of a stark contrast with Ens. Kylah.

He approaches and clears his throat. "I'm afraid if you're all enjoying a joke about the ship's propulsion systems or something like that, it'll be technically over my head. But I've got a ton of material on careless phaser maintenance."

Registered
    Sep 2009

The nurse nods. "Certainly. Please let me know if you need anything. I'm sure the doctor won't be long now in responding."

Trigorin answers Onn with just a little reluctance, "Sure, Lieutenant. See you later." He leaves.

Dahlquist says, smiling, "Hello, Mr. Graham. I wouldn't mind hearing one of those stories, but Lt. Onn had just asked for the chance to clean some deuterium chiller vanes, as bizarre as that may sound, and I wouldn't want to keep her waiting."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 12 Jan 2018 at 02:49 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Trig's less-than-enthusiastic response raises Nia's eyebrows. She murmurs under her breath as he leaves, "Hell, it was an invite, not an order."

She feels Book's presence before she hears him, and the pleasure of having him nearby is more than enough to shake off her curiosity over Trigorin's atypical demeanor.

"Huh, you surprise me, Lt. Graham--I hope that's not a confession of past mishaps. In my experience, most security officers know the right place to put their weapons." Nia flashes him a sweet smile.

"And as for you, Dahlquist, my enthusiasm for cleaning those chiller vanes isn't all that bizarre. Truth is, my shore leave was awfully low key. I'd been expecting to participate in some invigorating activity," she adds--and though she keeps her gaze on the tech expert, her words are aimed right at Booker--"but astonishingly, that didn't pan out. So you might say I've got a lot of extra energy to expend."

She wipes her hands together, then walks past Dahlquist in the direction of her voluntary task, bumping the engineer with a teasing elbow to his side. "And hey, you're reaping the benefits, so don't question it." Before Nia goes, she tosses a final tease to Book. "I'll wanna hear those weapon tales. Could be a fun end to the evening."
    Last edited by choie; 13 Jan 2018 at 01:15 AM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham flushes slightly as he processes Nia's words. Engineering technobabble may be over his head, but innuendo...

He clears his throat and nodes in response. "Uh, yes ma'am, understood."

He heads to Sickbay.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dahlquist laughs. "All right, follow me." He leads Onn from Main Engineering to a turbolift and then to Deck 15. No one else is around. There, in a small, tidy Engineering compartment, he shows her a workbench, chair and a large container of at least 60 deuterium chiller vanes. Each is thin, just under a meter long, sharp along one edge, and made of dully-stained uvek metal. He says, "Here are the duranium wire brushes, and a pair of gloves, and here's the cleansing solution." He sets a second, smaller, clean container on the other side of the workbench. "Put each clean one in here. It usually takes me about six or seven minutes or so for each, but just work at your own pace. It's more important to do it right than to do it fast, obviously. Do as many as you feel like, and call me if you have any questions." He smiles again. "Or when your techie mood passes."

Graham reaches Sickbay, enters and sees Kylah and a male nurse there in the anteroom.

Registered
    Apr 2015

After years of experience honed from life on a planet where men treat women as mere breeding slaves--not to a decade and a half spent developing a stellar career (no pun intended) in fields that, even now, are still mostly populated by men--Nia knows how to ignore condescension.

Still, when Dahlquist treats her like a cadet on her first assignment at the Academy, she is damn tempted to snap: Thanks for the detailed lesson, pretty boy. Next, could you please remind me whether I should wipe my ass before I use the head, or after?

Instead she contents herself with a chipper smile. "Can't imagine there'll be any questions. Thanks, though." Kicking the chair amiably away--this is grunt work, she's not a seamstress--Nia straddles the bench and gears up with the gloves. Her eyes scan and memorize the layout of the equipment and tools: what Andy Johnson would call the mise en place. The setup is familiar, even though she hasn't performed this particular task in a few years.

She reaches for the first vane, frowning a bit as she ponders Dahlquist's attitude. Something was up with him. He seemed almost... spiteful. In the most charming way, yeah, but spiteful nevertheless.

Weird. What cloaked mine did I accidentally set off with him, and when?

Maybe she interrupted some argument between Dahlquist and Trigorin? It'd explain the latter's distraction and incredibly uncharacteristic reticence. Or maybe she just stepped on Dahlquist's ego by being--horror of horrors!--skilled and competent and willing to help out.

Eh. I'll find out later, if I need to.

With a mental shrug, she gets to work. Truth is, if Dahlquist is--as he appeared to be--under the impression that Nia's some dilettante bound to get sick of the task, he's in for a disappointment. Nia genuinely enjoys the change of pace. Manual labor is satisfying, as is the visible, tangible progress of ensuring the vanes are properly clean and watching the pile of finished equipment grow.

Her hands start out slow but steady--eventually, once her muscle memory kicks in and she gets into the swing of things again, she'll increase the pace. She's already vowed to get the average rate of each expertly cleaned vane down to five minutes.

If for no other reason than to piss Dahlquist off further. Because seriously... fuck that guy.

Dismissing the engie from her thoughts, Nia entertains herself while scrubbing away by whistling some ancient shanties taught to her by her previous captain. And her imagination wanders toward tonight, when hopefully she'll work up an even more pleasurable sweat with Booker Graham.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 13 Jan 2018 at 02:33 AM.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Is she kidding? Nathaniel thinks. He has no intention of talking to that woman. He'd had a hard enough day. The last thing he wants was to deal with some overwrought, overemotional female. So... no. Like doctors have done throughout the centuries when it came to avoiding people they didn't want to speak to, he is busy and would continue to be so. Eventually, she'd go away.

Nathaniel picks up his communicator. "Nurse Gadalian?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"OK, thanks! We appreciate your help, Lieutenant," Dahlquist says cheerily, and leaves. Onn begins her work and is soon making good progress, although taking just five minutes per vane remains an elusive goal.

"Yes, Doctor?" the nurse responds to Nathaniel.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

“Nurse,” Nathaniel says. “You can tell Ens. Kylah, is it — that I am very busy and will not have time to speak with her today. Perhaps tomorrow or the next day. I’m not sure when I’ll be free. My suggestion is that she makes an appointment instead of just dropping by.”

Registered
    May 2013

Graham politely hangs back and lets the nurse handle whoever's calling on his communicator while giving Kylah a friendly nod. "Mr. Kylah," he says with a small smile.

He clears his throat and interjects, speaking to the nurse. "Excuse--sorry to interrupt--" he glances briefly toward Kylah, then turns back to the nurse. "Could you just point me to the senior medical officer treating Mr. Rangin, please?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

The nurse says to Graham, "Dr. Nathaniel Bennett, sir. That was him just now." Kylah and Graham could both just barely hear what the doctor said over the comm channel. The nurse clearly would rather not be the bearer of bad news.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Once the nurse's communicator chirped at him, Kylah grew alert with hope. Now, as he listens, she stands up as calmly as she can--she wants to be ready to speak with Dr. Bennett without triggering the man's impatience.

Mr. Graham's arrival catches her off guard, and she nods back, distracted; her ears are still waiting for Nurse Gadalian to tell her when she may see the doctor.

So she is surprised further when she realizes Mr. Graham--Lt. Graham, she recalls suddenly--is here to speak to Dr. Bennett as well. Automatically her hand reaches out, not touching him but simply trying to get his attention. "That is why I am here, too," she murmurs hastily in explanation.

Part of her wants to add, And I was here first! But it would be childish and inappropriate. He is now her senior officer, with a new position of importance. All Kylah can offer is the doctor is... well... possible background information that might assist in a cure.

But then her sensitive ears pick up the barely audible words from the nurse's communicator. Kylah's face heats up. "An appointment?" she blurts, then takes a step back as if the doctor's words wounded her. "Perhaps he does not understand. I might be able to help."
    Last edited by choie; 14 Jan 2018 at 11:27 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham rubs his chin. "Well, look, I don't want you to put you into an awkward situation, Nurse, uh - Gadalian, did I hear it right?"*

"I'm Lt. Graham, newly appointed Assistant Chief of Security, and this is timely, official business about the, uh--incident with Mr. Rangin."

Graham shrugs and holds up his hands apologetically. "So...unless there's some kind of medical emergency, could I ask you to just point me to the right door?"

He shrugs again. "Feel free to tell the doctor I'm coming...or not. And with or without your OK. Whatever you feel is best for you," he adds sympathetically--and a little conspiratorially.

He glances at Kylah while he waits for the nurse's response and says quietly. "Uh, so, I do need to ask the doc a few questions about whether we need to open an investigation into what happened. If you, ah...might know something about that...well, come along, but just--uh, I've got to do this by the book, OK?"

*Graham waits to hear the man's name if he replies.
    Last edited by general_urko; 15 Jan 2018 at 08:47 PM.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel shuts off the communicator. Hopefully, this Ensign Kylah would get the message and leave. If not, then she could just sit in the waiting room like so much office furniture. In the meantime, while he waits to hear from Dr. Shane, there was something else he needs to do. As much has he dreads the infernal dinner with the Captain tomorrow, he did need to get ready for it by reading up on the senior staff. He does have to get to know these people. And looking through their data files is one way to do that. After all, he has his own mission to prepare for.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Yes, that's right," Nurse Gadalian replies. "Uh... Dr. Bennett is in Med Lab 2, just down that hall, third door on the right. Just a moment, please, and I'll let him know you're coming."

Bennett's communicator beeps again, and the nurse says, "I'm sorry to bother you, Doctor, but the Assistant Chief of Security, Lt. Graham, is also here to see you about Mr. Rangin's case. He says it's a Security matter and will be in to see you shortly."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Fingers balling into fists behind her back, Kylah shakes her head at Lt. Graham and says dully, "Of course, I understand you must investigate what happened. But if Dr. Bennett is busy and does not wish to talk to me, I--I will only anger him further if I enter without permission. But thank you just the same."

Her cheeks feel about to burst into flames, and she finishes by looking at the nurse. "I suppose... I would not be allowed to see Ensign Rangin on my own?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

The nurse checks his data tablet and says to Kylah, "No, that would be fine. Please follow me."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham thanks the nurse and nods to acknowledge Kylah's response, then heads to Med Lab 2 to see Lt. Cecilia Bennett's decidedly less appealing relation....

Registered
    Sep 2009

Graham easily finds the lab, and the door whooshes open. He sees a youngish man with close-cropped black hair, dressed in Medical blue, sitting at a table with a Library Computer terminal. Scientific instruments and a workbench line the bulkhead behind him.

Registered
    May 2013

"Ah--Dr. Bennett, I presume?." Graham says, stepping into the room. "Welcome aboard. Sorry to bother you, but I understand you're treating Ens. Rangin. I'm Lt. Graham--Booker Graham. As Assistant Chief of Security, I need to ask you a couple questions."

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Doesn't anybody on this ship have anything to do other than bother him, Nathaniel wonders. First Kylah and now this.

Nathaniel does not believe the nurse had just sent someone one to his office without clearing it with him first. Hadn't he made it clear he was busy? But the incompetent nurse had barely made the announcement when this man, this Lt. Graham intrudes into his office. On one hand, they did need to get to the bottom of the incident, and Nathaniel understands that, but on the other, Nathaniel does not appreciate being interrupted.

"Yes, I am treating Ens. Rangin and in fact, I'm very busy." Nathaniel gripes. "I'm not sure if I'm the one to help you. But whatever your questions, please get on with it."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham clears his throat. "Ah, yes, the nurse said you were busy, but I'm afraid this couldn't wait--I'll try not to take too much of your time, doctor."

"Just to keep things by the book,
    are you the senior medical officer treating Mr. Rangin?
    are you familiar with the incident that occurred while he was orbital diving planet side?"

"Now the most important questions:
    in your professional opinion, is there any sign of foul play, or any other reason that would warrant opening a Security investigation into Mr. Rangin's symptoms during the incident, or his current condition?
    And you'd be comfortable making a written statement to this effect, if that's needed?"

Including Graham's list of questions in 1 post per standard practice and EH's guidance.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

"Well of course I'm Mr Rangin's doctor." Nathaniel answers. "Otherwise you wouldn't be standing here in my office, now would you? And yes, I'm familiar with what happened. It occurred just as I came on board."

Nathaniel continues. "As for foul play, I'm not in the position to answer that question. Assuming you haven't spoken with Engineering, I have and they say his suit malfunctioned. Perhaps they might be the ones who you should be talking to about this?"

Registered
    May 2013

Graham nods. "Just came from Engineering," he replies. "I'm here to cover all the bases--I mean, suit malfunction or not, Rangin himself could have been poisoned, or the victim of some sort of weapon we're unfamiliar with. "I'm guessing by your reaction you haven't seen any evidence of that...if that's correct, I can leave you to your work, doc..doctor."

Cecilia Bennett's charm halo notwithstanding, Graham is keenly aware he finds dealing with T'Var preferable to this new guy, at least so far.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah follows Nurse Gadalian, her footsteps as light, careful and straight as if she were walking a tightrope. She dreads to discover what shape Velir is in now. If it is anything like the glimpse she saw earlier--his body twisted, the sheets winding around him like a poorly fitted shroud--Kylah is not certain she will be able to bear it.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin appears to be resting quietly, his eyes closed. His sheets are straightened out and smooth now, and the room is quiet except for the gentle thump of his pulse on the biosigns monitor.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

"As far I can tell, his illness was caused by the virus he contracted awhile back." Nathaniel explains. "We thought he had beat it, but apparently it was just lying dormant. As for evidence of foul play, I had my suspicions, but my investigation didn't come up with anything. There are unanswered questions as I'm sure you're aware. But I can't say that it means there are dark forces at work. It simply could have been an accident coinciding with the virus re-manifesting itself. And right now, there's nothing proving that isn't exactly what happened."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham nods appreciatively after the doctor concludes. "Well, that's a pretty much picture-perfect initial report." He smiles slightly, reminding himself the poor guy's fresh on the ship and just got handed this out of the blue. "If medicine doesn't work out and you want to try Security, just let me know."

He rubs his chin. "If you find anything new that changes your mind, please let me know...but otherwise I'll let you, ah, get back to your work. Thanks for your time."

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

"I think medicine is going to work out just fine, but thanks for the tip." Nathaniel nods as the security officer prepares to leave.

Registered
    May 2013

"Heh--figured that," Graham says. "See you around, doctor," he adds as he leaves and heads out into Sickbay.

His intention is to go requisition the appropriate new rank insignia for his uniform.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Graham goes to the Ship's Stores and soon has a new, well-fitting red uniform shirt with the requisite half-stripe of a Starfleet lieutenant junior grade. He remembers to get a dress uniform shirt reflecting his new rank, as well, for tomorrow night.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/L...t_junior_grade
    http://starfleet.ca/images/tcsc/thenakedtimehd0200.jpg
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 28 Aug 2018 at 09:56 AM.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel watches as the Security Officer leaves -- finally. He shakes his head, wondering why Graham wants Nathaniel to do his job for him. Nathaniel certainly wouldn't ask Graham to perform life saving surgery!

Well, Nathaniel thinks, he hasn't heard from Doctor Shane yet. He hopes the preparations for Rangin's care is going well. Nathaniel wants this case wrapped up. Speaking of which, Nathaniel wonders if maybe he should check on his patient. He gets up to leave his office....

Registered
    Sep 2009

In Rangin's room, Dr. Bennett finds the same young brunette woman in Operations red who had bothered him earlier.

Registered
    May 2013

Prior to the Captain's dinner, Graham's plan is to review the Security duty roster, current logs, and Collin's official notes as ACOS.

Part of this is motivated by his own sense of duty -- but part of it is that he can't help but think Vargas might go out of his way to test him (or put him on the spot) about being on top of things the next time they meet...

Registered
    Mar 2012

Exhaling with a small measure of relief--at least Velir does not look in as much distress as he did earlier--Kylah stands a foot from his bed and stares down at him. Her heartbeat is far more erratic than his, and she hugs herself, cold and tense in agonized contemplation.

Why did this happen to you? Her head shakes in tiny movements, denying what she cannot fathom, and she blinks her tired, pained eyes. Why has this happened to us?

"Velir," she whispers, and lifts out a hand, aching to touch him but pausing before her trembling fingers can connect.

The door behind her has opened. She hears it, dimly, and retracts her arm at soon as she senses another's arrival. Her empathic focus is so intent on the ill, bedridden man that she cannot identify who has entered--though it seems likely to be the kind Nurse Gadalian.

"Please, sir," she asks in a soft, humble voice, while her gaze does not budge from Velir. "Please, may I stay a while longer?"
    Last edited by choie; 31 Jan 2018 at 03:22 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Security duty roster looks good to Graham. Current Security logs are unremarkable, with about a third of the crew still below on Beta Antares IV; no one has gotten into trouble dirtside so far. Almost four hours remain before all personnel are supposed to return to the Yorktown; Graham sees a senior-officer advisory that the Captain wishes to break orbit in five hours. Collins left relatively few notes as ACOS, he sees, and they contain nothing he didn't already know.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel does not believe his eyes. Or perhaps he does. The people around here seemed destined to irritate him. The strange, whimpering woman from before is in Rangin’s room, crying and wailing and generally making a fool of herself. And as far as Nathaniel is concerned, she has no business being here.

“You.” Nathaniel says in a nearly accusatory tone. “What in the hell are you doing in here?”

Registered
    Mar 2012

A sharp voice and the accompanying aggressive emotions launch toward Kylah like a pair of hands slammed against her back. With a gasp, she turns to face the tall, imposing figure of the new doctor. Even without her empathic abilities, she would recognize the egotism and contempt radiating from him--he does not seem able, or even willing, to hide them.

Kylah has spent a lifetime surrounded by arrogance and entitlement. In the Elasian royal family, they are laudable qualities, used to wield power and instill fear in others. At least this doctor, unlike her cousin Elaan, cannot order her execution. And unlike her uncle, he cannot force her to marry whomever he chooses. There is no need for Kylah to fear a Starfleet doctor--not to that degree. But she cannot afford to make yet another enemy.

So, remembering what Ferguson told her about the 'display' that had the Sickbay staff gossiping, Kylah does her best to remain quiet and calm.

"Forgive me, Doctor," she says, lowering her gaze. "I do not mean to be in your way. I received permission to visit for a little while, I just wanted to look at him. Ensign Rangin and I... we are... we were once close friends."

She takes a tiny step closer to the doctor, her hands now clasped neatly in front of her. "Sir. I owe you an apology for earlier, for mistaking you as a mere employee of that wretched orbital skydiving company. I despised their incompetence and their--their glibness toward our safety. Whereas you..." Now she looks back at Velir, so still compared to the discomfort he showed earlier. "I know Mr. Rangin may still be in danger, but you seem to have saved his life."

Again she stares up at the stranger's face. Kylah's throat has tightened, and she swallows in an effort to maintain her composure. "I wish I could have helped in some way. I wonder, sir... I wonder if you can understand what it is to feel so helpless?

"I cannot imagine you do. Anyone can see you are strong, and intelligent, and confident, and skilled. You have the greatest power anyone can possess: the power of healing.

"Whereas I," she continues softly, "I have nothing. Years ago, I was frozen in place while I watched my parents die. Hours ago, I flailed uselessly while the man I care about lost consciousness and plummeted toward the ground. Now I can do nothing at all. Just wait and hope." Kylah bites her lip and finishes in a heartfelt murmur: "I admire you, Doctor. And I thank you."
    Last edited by choie; 04 Feb 2018 at 01:36 AM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham feels himself falling into a rhythm he learned when he first made Lt.j.g. -- before...everything...

He pulls Security crewmember performance evaluations into a confidential file to read later, and sends a message to Mahmoud.

Faisal - In case you're not with the program, I'm ACOS now. Let's meet over a drink, off duty, sometime soon to chat about the lay of the land. Graham

Registered
    Sep 2009

Graham soon receives the reply, Yeah, I heard - congrats, buddy! Very proud of you. Try not to use your vast new powers to crush all us peons underfoot, though, OK? I hear two others applied but didn't get the gig. A drink sounds good - we should definitely talk. MAHMOUD.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel finds this woman's weakness to be troubling. How is she able to get out of bed in the morning, much less function as a member of Starfleet when she was so overwrought all the time? But then he wonders if she is trying to appeal to his ego with all this ridiculous flattery. He doubts it. She doesn't seem that clever. Even if she is, that tactic wouldn't work. He doesn't need anybody to tell him how good he is. He knows how good he is.

And yet, he knows what it's like to feel helpless. He has been there. Sure he is a skilled doctor, but you can't help everyone. Sometimes they died no matter how hard you tried. In some ways he is there now. Its what brought him to this damn ship. Yet, he doesn't let that cripple him or weaken him. It strengthens him, made him more determined. Maybe that's a lesson this woman needs to learn. But he is no teacher. Yet, as high strung as she is, she isn't going to respond well to anger. It would only make her worse. And he doesn't want to deal with that.

"Your friend... is going to be fine." Nathaniel says. "He has some treatments ahead, but he should pull through. Now, I do have to get him ready. You've seen him. So I'm going to ask you to leave."
    Last edited by anthonydlangford; 04 Feb 2018 at 11:45 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's a bit taken aback by his friend's message. But then he realizes: with Collins shipping out* of course people would be gunning for the job...

All the more reason to be astounded Vargas picked me...

For a moment, Graham wants nothing more than two solid 100% uninterrupted days of shore leave with Nia. Just to talk (...well, no, other stuff too--) but just to...get settled...

He sighs, and decides to get back to work.

Nobody else is gonna crush the peons...well, except maybe that new doctor...

*Said with full sadness...here's to anyrose and the Undiscovered Country

Registered
    Jan 2018

The monitors continue to keep their watch over Rangin:

...blue sky overhead is broken only by the sounds of birds and a regular mining transport taking off and landing. He watches an ever present stream of people walking into and out of the facility, some of them he even recognises. Every so often one of them will turn to look at him, nod and then continue on their way. If only he could remember who they were, even though they all feel familiar.

He watches them for a while enjoying the calm before closing his eyes, lying back against the grass in the warm sun and dozing for a while before gently before waking up.

Rangin looks down from hill wrapped in his own peace and quiet. The blue sky overhead is broken only by the sounds of birds and a regular mining transport taking off…

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah forces herself not to react with tears to the doctor's good news. He does not seem the sort who would give anyone false hope--if anything, he might be casually blunt and cruel, although she does not know him well enough to judge whether it would be through indifference or malice.

For one moment she even senses... something... some glimmer of understanding, encircled within a thick, cold wall of his own design. Then it is gone. Maybe she imagined it. Or wished it into existence.

"Thank you, Doctor, of course I will leave," she murmurs, her voice low and respectful. It is the only response she can think of that will not incite his anger. This human's mood is like an icy precipice: something dangerous and unforgiving, and to be navigated with care.

Still, she must risk his impatience. She cannot go without saying what she must to Velir. "I will just... I need a moment to say goodnight, if I may?"

Not waiting for Dr. Bennett's permission, Kylah swiftly turns back to the silent figure on the bed. Her entire force of concentration sweeps across him and alights on his restful face. His dear face, even now, even after all he has said to her.

This time she does not hesitate to touch his immobile hand, a familiar spark of life instantly connecting his being to hers. She closes her eyes and emotions pass through her like a solemn vow whispered in the air.

You must get well, she thinks fervently as her fingers brush along then entwine his own to strengthen the bond between them. I must tell you how sorry I am. How much I miss you. How I wish we could start again. Please, Velir... come back?
    Last edited by choie; 09 Feb 2018 at 02:51 AM.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel wonders why Kylah was still here when he asked her to leave. Hadn't see wept over him enough already? It sure as hell isn't like it was helping him. He stands there, watching her in hopes she gets the message soon.

And he is going to have a chat with the nurse about just letting anybody wander in to see a patient -- and his office without his permission. There were ways to run a medical unit and that wasn't one of them.

One other thing, he realizes, he is going to have to get a dress uniform before the dinner with the Captain. He hadn't exactly needed one where he's been for the past two years. And there was no time to get one once he'd decided to accept the assignment here on The Yorktown.

If there isn't one thing, it is another, he sighs.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Still on the hillside, Rangin wraps his fingers around the hand of the person next to him and he turns to smile at them even as the fingers slip his grasp.

The warm sad smile of a woman looking longingly at him just out of reach, her clothes as translucent as her hair and…

“Are you not staying?“ he hears himself ask the woman, but even though her lips move, he can hear no sound, just a feeling of loneliness.

Registered
    Mar 2012

“I wish I could stay," Kylah whispers regretfully in reply, staring down at their hands. "But I am not allowed. I will try later to--”

She chokes to a halt. Her mind catches up to what just happened. Velir knows she is here. He spoke!

With a gasp, she backs away for an instant, eyes wide as she turns to Dr. Bennett for confirmation. He seems curiously unchanged by this development--handsome face still impatient, still implacable.

“Doctor, did you hear that? He just said something!”

Confused and elated, she looks back at Velir. Like Dr. Bennett, he has not changed either: his eyes are closed, his lips not moving. Kylah exhales in sharp disappointment. Was this only her imagination...?

It takes a second or two for the truth to sink in: No, he did respond. To her thoughts. Her mind. Her emotions.

Her heart skips in her chest. She has rarely been able to communicate in such a way with a non-telepath: only in times of deep emotional crisis and only with the few people closest to her--her mother, her uncle. For this to happen now…

Instinct kicks in and, ignoring the doctor’s earlier order, she grabs Velir’s hand so it is sandwiched between both of hers, strengthening the physical connection. Her eyes close and she concentrates so hard that perspiration beads on her forehead.

Velir, can you really hear me? Do you know who I am, do you sense what I am feeling? Please, please talk to me!
    Last edited by choie; 12 Feb 2018 at 05:17 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia, having exhausted her knowledge of raunchy or even slightly risque sailing tunes, whistles the end of the current song and figures this is as good a place to break as any. Time to take stock of what she's accomplished.

Also, after hunching over in one position for too long, she needs to stretch, which she does by standing, lifting her entwined arms, and arching her back to allow every one of her 48 vertebrae as much room as possible.

She hears a few muted but satisfying pops as she does, and she closes her eyes in pleasure as her muscles and tendons pull and relax. Nia then rolls her neck back and forward with the same soothing result.

Ahhh... yeah, that's better. Shouldn't have used such sloppy posture. She finishes by shaking out the rest of her tightened muscles.

Now, resting her hands on hips, she surveys first the pile of completed vanes, then the ones remaining, trying to determine how much of this task she has left to go. Of course, since she only volunteered for this duty, she can leave any time. But that's hardly her style.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 14 Feb 2018 at 02:42 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin can see the lips moving on the figure as she appears to be both near him and yet moving further away, as his focus is drawn away from the area around towards her. Something seems to echo in his mind, a sense of need, of longing, but at the same time something seems wrong.

She seems misplaced, as if she doesn’t belong here on the hillside. A place where he used to relax and watch the world go by, a place where he would go with friends and watch the transports, wonder what was up there in the stars, a place on Coridan....

But she is not from Coridan and it confuses him. She must be a friend, she would not be here with him otherwise, but he wonders what is going on as he has never seen her here before.

“Who are you?” - but he knows the name already. It sits there tantalisingly on his lips, but he cannot bring himself to say it.

He knows he has done something wrong, but she suddenly moves towards him and he clumsily reaches for her.
    Last edited by Rangin; 15 Feb 2018 at 12:21 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Onn has cleaned most of the deuterium chiller vanes by now, and figures she needs maybe half an hour more to finish the rest. She has gotten in a groove and has been making good progress.

Dr. Bennett notices an uptick in Rangin's synaptic activity and pulse rate on the bed's biomonitor, but sees it's nothing to be concerned about.

+ Reply to thread