+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #6: "Marala"

Registered
    Sep 2009

The examination table's vital-signs monitor shows that Rangin's blood oxygenation has improved almost immediately, but he remains pale and his pulse is still thready. He does not wake up. Dr. T'Var looks at her new colleague expectantly. Bennett is aware in one corner of his mind that the doors have opened again and a stocky older woman in Command gold has entered Sickbay.

Suddenly the ground is immediately beneath Kylah, yellow-brown prairie grass like a thick, gently-waving carpet below. She manages a not-ungraceful tuck and roll and is down.

Graham also pulls it off and then finds his footing. Looking up, he sees Xiang, then Johnson, and then Pru come down, each several hundred yards away downrange. Johnson tries to land on his feet and stumbles badly, the Security officer can see.

"Welcome to Beta Antares IV, planetside," Pru says over the common channel, chipper as ever. "Everybody OK?"

"I... I think I may've sprained my ankle," Johnson says, sounding pained and a little embarrassed.

Registered
    Sep 2009

dp

Registered
    Mar 2012

Each breath strains Kylah's knotted muscles as she gets to her feet, wobbly but still able to focus on pulling at her gloves to free her hands. She pivots until she spots the others' landing locations. Then she must squint to identify first Mr. Graham--at least, a shape that looks like his, which means he is safe; she might be angry at him but she is still relieved--and then Pru, last to the ground.

Determined, she launches herself in that direction, forgetting about the large parachute behind her until the weight of it stops her still-unsteady gait in her tracks. A stream of curses floods her mind while she tugs and scrabbles at her suit where it joins with her helmet--if successful in removing the latter, she will toss it to the grass before next attacking the suit itself. Her rising temper and distress are not making this easy.

Pru's question causes another burst of anger--the levity in their guide's voice makes Kylah's stomach roil.

"No," she says in a voice etched with acid, "everyone is patently not 'okay.' There is one fewer person on the ground than when we jumped!"

She yanks viciously at the straps connecting her to the parachute lines and drags them along with her, energy surging her tiny body's strength while she again heads toward Pru. Despite her clumsy, slow stomping, without a thought she manages to draw upon the royal attitude befitting her upbringing and family.

"Your perfect safety record failed you. Failed him. This must have been a suit malfunction--he was in good health, I know he was! If it was your fault, if anything happened to my--to my crewmate--"

Kylah swallows back a sob. Along with the tears and sweat, she can taste the blood from her lip, still bleeding where she bit it earlier. Somehow she manages to keep her tone steady and righteous when she continues. "No matter what waiver we signed, I swear your company will be held responsible. You will pay!"
    Last edited by choie; 01 Aug 2017 at 02:49 AM.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham's relieved to be on the ground, and likewise relieved that Kylah seems to be fine...

Until she launches into a wholly unexpected tirade. It's impressive in its own way...

But he can't figure out what might have triggered this...or not any good reason, anyway...

"Uh, I'm sure Yorktown will get to the bottom of whatever happened," he interjects over the comm. "I'm sure with the company's cooperation," he adds.

He clears his throat. "Perhaps it's best if we return to the ship."

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel frowns as he notes that Rangin isn’t improving as quickly as he’d hopes. As he considers his next move, T’Var stares at him. The door slides open and the woman that Nathaniel knows as the Captain of the Yorktown strides into the room. He hadn’t met her, but he’d done enough reasearch on the crew to be familiar with it’s officers. He wonders what she is doing here. Is it about his patient or something else?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pru seems taken aback by Kylah's words, but responds to both her and Graham. "Well, sure, yes, of course. We don't want anything to go wrong for any of our clients. We'll certainly do everything we can to figure out what happened." She clears her throat and says, a bit more confidently, "Assemble on me, everyone, please. If any of you wish to return to the Yorktown directly, please remove your divesuits and leave them here with me; your ship can beam you up. Anyone who wants to return to Holloway Station, you can beam back up with me." Graham and Kylah see the others begin gathering up their 'chutes and walking towards Pru, several hundred yards away.

Bennett is correct; it is indeed Captain Singh. She crosses her arms, stands along the bulkhead but says nothing.

"The patient, Doctor...?" T'Var says quietly.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 03 Aug 2017 at 11:55 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah's face burns at Mr. Graham's suggestion, followed swiftly by Pru's less-than-satisfying remarks. She stops stalking toward the guide and, after slamming the helmet to the grass, makes a renewed effort to remove the dive suit. The attempt is not helped by the material's weight or her own emotions, which make her movements jerky and awkward while she tries to find a way out of the bloody thing.

Wriggling free at last, she steps out and nearly kicks the suit in vengeance for seemingly holding her captive. Then she yanks at the parachute lines. She resents having to do this much--to clean up for a company that has made such a crisis occur.

She sees Mr. Graham approaching and, stuffing the whole package of suit and parachute and helmet into her arms, sends a wounded glare toward him. The helmet is so ungainly to hold onto--particularly along with the rest of the crumpled, bulky kit--she is forced to keep it in place with her chin in order to see her colleague.

"Oh, Mr. Graham, now I may return to the ship?" she yells, not using the comm unit but her own voice sharpened by worry and outrage, before turning her back on him and again stomping forward in Pru's direction. "Thank you, I am so grateful for your permission!"

Kylah tries a quick pace, since she senses Mr. Graham will catch up with her soon and she prefers to avoid him... but her legs are short and she is hampered by her inability to see the ground beneath the helmet and bundled apparatus/suit in her arms.

Of course she nearly stumbles, because she is ever conspired against by the whole universe including her own foolish feet, but she hurries nonetheless.
    Last edited by choie; 06 Aug 2017 at 02:31 AM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's not really sure what's going on (beyond "Kylah's really pissed"...or something).

He's inclined to lag behind and give her some space until she seems to stumble, at which point he lurches forward, extending an arm...

"Hey, ah...look, just be careful..." he says quietly, intended for only her ears if possible.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Not concerned (for the moment) with why the Captain was here, Nathaniel keeps his focus on his patient.

"We need to get his heart rate going." Nathaniel says to T'Var. "Get me Norepinephrine, he should respond to that."

Registered
    Mar 2012

With a twist of her waist, Kylah slips her elbow out of Mr. Graham's reach. "Do not touch me!" She flicks a fiery glance at him before continuing. "How gladly you render help when you choose to. Not when I asked for it, not when I needed it! Well, I do not require assistance now."

She moves unsteadily but as quickly as possible until she reaches near enough to Pru, wherever she can drop her burden to the ground in a heap. Kylah's gasps of effort prevent her from delivering any further threats to the skydiving company guide, but at least she can stare witheringly at the older woman while grabbing her communicator.

"Ensign Kylah to Yorktown," she manages once the device has flipped open. "O-one to beam up." Please hurry, please...

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pru does not make eye contact with Kylah but accepts the divesuit and other gear from her. Mahmoud says he'll be beaming back to the station, as will the civilian, but the others all say they wish to go directly to the Yorktown. Kylah is in the first group beamed back up. Just before the transporter effect takes them, Johnson says quietly to her, "Thanks for letting her have it, Ensign. It had to be said, and I'm glad somebody did." Upon rematerializing, he adds, "I need to have my ankle looked at. Want to come to Sickbay with me and check on Mr. Rangin?"

T'Var inserts an ampoule into the hypospray, and hands it to Bennett. "Norepinephrine, Doctor - specifically, Cardistim." Bennett, of course, recognizes the trade name of Starfleet's standard-issue heart stimulant, which is mostly norepinephrine but also includes several other beneficial organic chemicals.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's taken aback--literally, as well as figuratively, as he takes a step backwards from Kylah--by her response.

Which help when...oh god, OCIII...

Feeling hollow, he clears his throat and approaches Pru. "I'm sure someone from the Yorktown will be in touch once the medical team figures out what happened with Ens. Rangin." He manages to make it more than a glum mumble.

"I'd best get back myself."

If not otherwise interrupted, he gets out of his suit and steps away.

After a moment, rather than contacting Yorktown, he tries something else.

"Graham to Onn."

Registered
    Apr 2015

dp
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 08 Aug 2017 at 11:01 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia, head propped up by her right hand with her elbow on the grass, carefully turns a page of Booker's gift, the ancient Earth novel, which itself is lying on the bag from the bookstore to protect it from the damp.

The damp is no problem for her. Her pores have opened to the dew, having naturally evolved to absorb any external water, and her skin feels delightfully soft and plump.

But she's wearing a frown, because the story text itself is frustrating. "...Their gaze ran over Spade's body from shoulders to knees, and up again to settle on the... " Nia scowls at what comes next, then whispers to herself: "Hand--ker--chief." She purses her lips dubiously. From the context it seems to be an item of clothing. And it's obviously for the hands, so it must be something like a glove? But why just one?

Truth is, Nia's not bad at reading Fed Standard. Still, most of her focus has been on nav tech, ship diagnostics and, to a much lesser degree, medical terms. One problem is that a lot of the written language seems to be spelled nothing like it's pronounced. Worse, this book's from the early 20th century, and while some of the slang's familiar--at least she can thank that ridiculous Sigma Iotia II society for something other than near death--a lot's totally foreign to her.

She skips the clothing mystery, but the next part isn't much better. What the hell? 'Gunsel?' Why's he calling the kid a... weapon, I guess? The context isn't any help. This Sam Spade character hardly seems the type to be so creeped out by a gun of any kind.

Nia exhales in confusion, uncertain if this author just made up words as he went along. It wouldn't be the first time she came across a writer who did that sort of thing. Andy Johnson once gleefully teased her by sending her a poem by... what was the name, Carol Louis?... well, someone from his Terran homeland that she's certain was utter gibberish.

A chirp by her thigh gives her a welcome interruption--even more welcome when she hears Booker's familiar voice. Tucking the book back into its bag, Nia deftly rolls over and gets to her feet so she can walk far enough away to avoid waking Luisa.

Pausing under a tree, she lifts her communicator. "Finally," she says with a sideways smile. "Got my message, did you? Little disappointed you're just hailing me. I figured you'd race to my side... or whatever angle you prefer. Where are you?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 08 Aug 2017 at 01:46 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah has just a second to process what Mr. Johnson has said to her before she feels the transporter take hold and beam her off this planet on which she spent less than ten minutes. She is still staring agape at her fellow officer when they reappear on the Yorktown. The thought that began far from the ship now completes itself:

Why--he thinks I did the right thing. He is not angry or judging.

When Johnson speaks again, she has to shake her head to recover from this unexpected gift of support. "Yes. Yes, I would very much like to go, thank you. I am sorry I did not think to wait for you... I should have. I remember hearing that you were hurt."

Kylah thanks whoever the transporter engineer is, not really paying attention as she is focusing half on Johnson, with the rest of her mind somewhere in Sickbay. She swallows and awkwardly offers her arm. "If you need assistance, please let me help." Then she adds in a heartfelt murmur, "And thank you, Mr. Johnson. I did not expect anyone to agree with me. People rarely do."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pru, Mahmoud and the civilian soon have the divesuits, parachutes and other gear gathered up and ready to beam back to the Holloway space station.

Aboard the Yorktown, Mr. Nguyen is behind the transporter console, and nods to Kylah.

Johnson smiles thinly, obviously in some pain, and says, "I think I can hobble along, but if you'd walk next to me in case I need to grab you, I'd appreciate it."

The other skydivers disperse from the transporter room with murmured farewells to the pair. Park says, "I have to do something, but I'll be down to check on Mr. Rangin in a minute."

In Sickbay, the doors open again and a short, wiry Latino-looking man in Engineering red with the golden stripe-and-a-half of a lieutenant commander on his cuffs enters. He sees the Captain and walks over to her.

Registered
    May 2013

"Uh, missing you." He's surprised how happy he is to hear her voice. He pauses and sighs. "Wishing I'd spent the last couple hours with you instead of...well, doesn't matter."

Best intentions. Spilt milk. All that shit.

"Anyway, I hope you've been having a good time."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia walks more slowly. "Yeah, I have. Had a good lunch, explored some nature, took a nap near a waterfall... All stuff that would've been great to share with you, too." She's frowning again and pretty much talking just to let herself think. Hard to tell if Book's just in a bad mood or... she's not sure. Something sounds off. He didn't answer her about his location, which isn't like him. And his not mentioning her message means he probably didn't get it.

Not one to avoid the direct approach, Nia puts a hand on her hip and asks flat-out: "Book, is everything okay? You wanna meet up and talk, or... anything? Still plenty of time left before we're back on duty."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham clears his throat. "Nia I--" he takes a deep breath and closes his eyes. "I really fucked up on a previous mission...I should've...I knew something was wrong...and..."

He shakes his head (not that Nia can see, of course...). "Yeah, I'd like to meet up and...anything. Anything at all." He pauses again.

Then he sighs , his shoulders slumping. "But I guess...I think I need to check on Ens. Kyl--, uh, someone on this ship, first."

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

As the drug is administered to Rangin, Nathaniel watches and waits for it to take effect. He hopes that it would, knows that it should. Still, in the meantime with the suit off, he starts to check for other injuries.

"You can go." Nathaniel says in a dismissive tone to the crew members who'd brought Rangin to Sickbay, not even bothering to look in their direction as he focuses on his task. He didn't need them here and at this point they were a distraction.

Speaking of extraneous people in the room, it didn't escape Nathaniel's notice that a Lt. Commander from Engineering had joined the Captain. Nathaniel is irritated by the growing number of people gathering in his Sickbay. And while he just arrived on board moments ago, it is HIS sickbay.

"Captain Singh," Nathaniel addresses her. "I realize we haven't met formally, but I have a patient to take care of. And unless your being here directly concerns Rangin, can this wait?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah lets her arm drop and walks by Mr. Johnson's side. It is difficult to curtail her impulse to walk faster, or even break into a run. For an instant, she regrets having offered to help her crewmate, who is only slowing her down.

She forces her gaze to the floor, embarrassed even though Ensign Johnson could not know of her impatience. The thought was especially unworthy, considering her own misadventures. How many Yorktown officers have been forced to attend to Kylah herself during one of her own varied multitude of injuries? Indeed, her disastrous choices on Anubis inconvenienced the entire ship.

Standing by Mr. Johnson is the least she can do. Besides, she rationalizes, it is doubtful she would be allowed inside Sickbay on her own during what is likely an emergency.

This thought is just as inconsiderate--the idea of finding this man's hurt leg useful--but right now Kylah is too full of mixed emotions to prevent her worst qualities from coming to the fore. Even as she blurts out that she hopes Mr. Johnson is not in too much pain, her mind tries to prepare for whatever she will learn about Velir when they reach Sickbay. He will be all right, he must be all right. He must!

Registered
    Apr 2015

Book's confession--at least, what little she hears of it--causes Nia to freeze in place. What could possibly have prompted this? At first she wonders if he means the previous mission on Sigma Iotia II, but her mind swiftly dismisses that as unlikely.

Then, just as she opens her mouth to tell him she'll go wherever he wants her to, he lets out a little slip, one little name. And Nia's lips tighten into a thin, annoyed line for a few seconds.

She exhales. "Of course, Book," she says, her voice warm but sober. She won't automatically contradict his harsh judgment on himself, because--well, she's fucked things up plenty too, and having others dismiss her regrets out of hand never helps. "Do whatever you have to. I'll be down here. If you can meet me, that'd be great. But if you get...delayed... or if you just want me up there sooner, let me know. We can get together onboard and talk about all this once you're through with, um, everything. Okay?"

All the tension she's not showing to Booker is being expressed by her free hand, which is still resting on her hip but now clenches into a fist, crushing the handle of the gift bag. 'Ensign Kyl' my ass. Of course it's her. Of course.

Who else would spoil Booker's shore leave? What a shame there's no one else on board to rush to the little princess's aid. Nia doesn't blame Booker; she gets him, she gets that his protective instincts are too strong to refuse someone in need.

But the Elasian is constantly in need... or so she lets people think. Sure, it makes sense: she's used to having servants and bodyguards, and maybe can't deal without having someone in attendance, waiting on her, protecting her. How convenient that in Booker Graham, Kylah's found the perfect man to rush to her defense. She seems to know exactly what buttons to push to get her own knight in shining armor. Maybe a tiny bit of those stupid Elasian Tears got on Book's skin and this is a mild case of that obsession everyone talks about.

Shore leave's not even half-over, and somehow she's managed to get in trouble a-fucking-gain?! Unbelievable. Maybe the guys in Engineering can spare a few extra gravitons and build Her Highness a set of personal deflector shields.

While Nia's internal fuming continues, she waits to see if Booker's okay with this plan or if he wants to say anything else. Otherwise she'll head back to the riverbank and find some rocks to fling into the rushing current.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Guzman awakens with a snort, blinks and sees Onn standing nearby. She stretches and smiles.

The Cardistim works like a charm. Rangin's pulse becomes more regular and his color improves. His vital signs soon move into stable territory.

"Actually, it does concern Mr. Rangin, thank you, Doctor," the Captain says lightly. "And welcome aboard. I wanted to see how he's doing." She says to the other man, "Take his OS gear for a full examination and scan, please, Mr. Cheverez. I'd like to know if there was a malfunction."

"Aye, Captain," he says. He begins gathering up the helmet, divesuit, gloves and other equipment.

Kylah and Johnson arrive in Sickbay. The anteroom is crowded with the Captain, Chief Engineer Cheverez and others, and Kylah sees Rangin resting on a diagnostic bed just beyond. Dr. T'Var and a young man in civilian clothing are attending to him.

Graham is still on the surface, standing in a gently-waving field of prairie grass. Park asks, "Would you like to beam up now, Mr. Graham? They're ready for us."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham clears his throat and manages "I hope...soon, real soon" before signing off with Nia.

He nods. "Yeah, let's go," he replies to Park.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The young Korean officer says into his open communicator, "Park to Yorktown. Two to beam up."

In moments he and Graham have rematerialized aboard the starship. Park says, "I'd like to check on Rangin, too. See you later."

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

"As you can see, Captain," Nathaniel says. "He's stabilized, his heart rate is up. I"ll check for other injuries, but if all is well, he'll make a full recovery."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham mumbles "Uh..." as Park leaves--not sure how to finesse the fact that he's probably headed in the same direction.

Since he doesn't actually want to check on Rangin, but rather see what's going on with Kylah...

After a moment he scowls and heads (a little slowly) toward Sickbay.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Excellent," says Singh, smiling. "Good work, Doctor."

Bennett finds no injuries on Rangin.

Park arrives in Sickbay and looks a little surprised when Graham arrives not too much later. By then, Dr. T'Var is talking to Johnson and leading him to another diagnostic bed.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah gasps when she sees a tall civilian hovering over Velir, with Dr. T'Var doing little but standing by. She cannot even hear anyone talking--no questions, no orders, no status reports. Just apparently unrushed murmurs. She sees the backs of other Yorktown officers inside, but they too are observing, although at least one man is making himself useful by gathering Velir's uniform. Hopefully to perform some sort of forensic examination, but...

Wait, could this stranger be from "Uncle Al's"? Is he trying to get control of any evidence of their malpractice?

Then T'Var leaves Velir's side altogether to--to be with Johnson? Kylah's patience is frayed enough to rip apart, and she is long past holding it together.

"What is happening?!" she blurts, staring at the Vulcan. "Doctor, why are you not attending him? Where are the other doctors--Dr. Bucci, Dr. Villa?!"

With a groan of concern she brushes past T'Var to press forward into Velir's room, slipping past the man fussing with the skydiving suit. The place is crowded, and there is not much room for anyone else--but fortunately Kylah's small frame requires little.

One sharp glance at the stranger is all she needs, both visually and empathically. His outfit proves he does not belong--and worse, he practically radiates supercilious impatience. Kylah knows his type, she lived with them all her life. Well, two can play at such a game. She lifts her chin and snubs him to call back at Dr. T'Var.

"Why are you letting this... person... so near Ensign Rangin? If he is some aide from that skydiving company, I would not trust him--he is likely more worried about avoiding a lawsuit over their potentially harmful equipment than determining whether it was truly responsible for endangering Velir's life." She twists back to glare at the tall man, whose green eyes are as cold as her late mother's crown. "Rest assured, my family will make certain that you pay for any damage... if anything--if anything permanent--"

Her voice breaks. Bracing herself, she looks down at Velir, still helplessly unconscious. Every instinct screams at her to touch him, physically: to let her fingers graze some bare flesh of his in order to amplify her ability to reach him. But she cannot, just pleading internally: Velir, Velir... can you hear me?
    Last edited by choie; 13 Aug 2017 at 11:45 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. T'Var turns from Johnson, nodding to an orderly to help him onto the bed, and walks quickly over to Kylah. "This is Dr. Nathaniel Bennett, a physician newly-assigned to the Yorktown," she says quietly. "He just beamed aboard and is still in civilian attire. He has healed Mr. Rangin, who should make a full recovery. There is no reason I cannot now assist Mr. Johnson."

Rangin remains unconscious and does not respond to Kylah. She becomes aware that the Captain is not far away, as well as Lt. Cecilia Bennett, and only now recognizes the man collecting Rangin's divesuit as the Chief Engineer, her superior officer. They are not quite staring at her.

T'Var says, firmly but still quietly, "Perhaps, Ensign, you would like return later to see Mr. Rangin...?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 15 Aug 2017 at 12:41 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

dp

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's a little stunned there's a cast of thousands in Sickbay. He decides to hold back near the door rather than plunge in - although he can hear enough to hear that Kylah sounds pretty damned on about something...

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

"T'Var, I can handle this." Nathaniel says with a wave of his hand.

Nathaniel didn't know who this latest intruder in Sickbay was or what nonsense she babbles about, and he didn't care. The one thing he did not tolerate -- ever -- was having his medical expertise questioned. He would give the Captain an earful if she were insulting enough to do that. He'd be damned if he takes it from someone of lesser rank. He needs not to explain anything. This woman wasn't owed a damned explanation.

"That's it." Nathaniel hisses, his voice razor sharp, but unmistakably full of anger and outrage. "This is Sickbay, not the Mess Hall. I want everybody out."

He glares at the high-strung woman who stands before him, and dares to actually give the impression, through words and demeanor, that she was his better. She clearly looks for a challenge -- and she was about to get one.

"And you can be the first to go."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's mind is boggled by the number and diversity of people in Sickbay...and what seems to be obvious tension. And why he flushes slightly, seeing Cecilia.

His gut tells him things are not going in a good direction. Not that whatever he decides to do next will necessarily help...

He takes a deep breath and moves a bit further into Sickbay until he's within speaking distance of Cheverez.

"Cmdr. Cheverez...and, ah, Captain, ma'am, since you're here to hear it," he says without raising his voice, but still intending it to cut through the chatter. "I'd like to recommend Chief Nguyen for a formal commendation. I know transporting an unresponsive, moving target in open sky isn't easy. It seems he did a flawless job pulling Mr. Rangin out of a, ah, very bad situation."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Dr. T'Var's pointed introduction makes Kylah turn around to the stranger, more relieved that a doctor is indeed still attending Velir than embarrassed by her mistaking him for someone from the skydiving company. But the wave of anger bursting forth from this man is like a physical shove in her chest; she has to take a step back from him.

And then she sees Captain Singh herself, and Chief Cheverez, and Dr. T'Var somehow manages to sound peeved despite her Vulcan control... Now Mr. Graham, of all people, has entered the room. What more control does he want over her?

Kylah would normally be cowed by such a confrontation.

Then, as she is turning back to apologize to the new doctor, she again sees Velir's expressionless face. That is why she is here.

With a swallow, Kylah glances at Captain Singh. "Forgive me, ma'am. I know this is out of protocol, and Doctor--" She has forgotten his name already, if she even heard it properly the first time. "The doctor is correct to order irrelevant people out. But--but--"

She must try to corral her own wild thoughts. "But I can be of use. I was there. I saw him, I can answer any questions about his behavior or his appearance, either today or last night. We were... we are friends," she tries to explain to the new doctor, although she suspects her words are bouncing off the virtual brick wall of his arrogance.

Afraid of being pushed or even beamed out, Kylah speaks as quickly as she can, barely taking full breaths. "I know Dr. T'Var said Velir would be all right, but with respect, Chief Cheverez is only now taking his uniform, so I assume it has not yet been examined for a malfunction. Do you even know what happened, or why he has not yet recovered consciousness? Given his past, you must be concerned..." Kylah suddenly notices that the tall stranger is holding a small device, but not a padd. A flood of urgency quickens her heart rate.

"Do you know his medical history? Surely Dr. T'Var must have--" She turns to the older woman again. "Did you tell him all that Mr. Rangin has been through? The slime devil bite, the mind control, the Sakathian attack? The virus?"

Her stomach lurches at the thought. Kylah whips her focus back to the new doctor. "Three months ago we were attacked by people infected with this virus that--that mutated them, turned their minds savage. Mr. Rangin was bitten and developed a terrible fever. Another of our crew--she fell into a coma, it lasted nearly two months and then--then she died, just recently. Captain, do you not think..." She stares at older woman. "I know he seemed to recover, and that he did not react the way Lt. Fujishiro did. But that virus was so unpredictable. The way a human reacted would not be the same as a Coridanite. And something changed his brain, did it not? The episode with Mr. Palver, his sudden ability to fight off mind control? Velir told me despite multiple tests, none could explain what had happened. What if this is all connected? Doctor, could the virus have lain dormant all that time, and now..."

The possibility is terrifying, as is her growing suspicion that no one bothered telling the new doctor any of this. "Sir," she says shakily, craning her neck up at the tall man and doing her best to prevent herself from crying--this man will not be moved by such a display. "I am very sorry for mistaking you for a civilian, and I do not want to waste your time. But if this is all news to you, I have not wasted it. I cannot believe a capable doctor would begrudge such information. If you wish more, I will be at your service... outside of your Sickbay. Though not far from it."

She is losing her battle against tears, so she ducks her head, mutters another apology to the Captain, and starts to leave. Nearing Mr. Graham, her body automatically swerves to avoid passing within a meter of him.
    Last edited by choie; 16 Aug 2017 at 09:58 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Captain says, "Just a moment, Mr. Kylah. Thank you for the useful reminder as to Mr. Rangin's earlier... health issues. I'm sure Drs. Bennett and T'Var have, and will, provide the best care possible. Please prepare a report as to your orbital skydive, and send copies to me, the Chief Engineer and the doctors." To Graham she says, "I'm inclined to agree that Chief Nguyen is due a commendation, and I'll be discussing that with Mr. Cheverez after he's had a chance to examine and scan the divesuit. I'd like your report as to what happened, also, and will be asking the other divers to do the same."

Singh nods at Dr. Bennett and smiles a little. "For now, though, I think we should just get out of the doctors' way." She gestures towards the doors, and everyone leaves but Sickbay staff and their two patients.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel feels a bit of his annoyance lesson as all the uncessary people finally make their way of his Sickbay. He is going have to thank the Captain at some point — maybe. But over all he knows he is going to have to establish some ground rules about how things would be run — and quickly.

As he looks around Sickbay he realizes there are so many things that needed to be changed, so much to be done to get this up to his standards. Even though he did not primary take this job because he wants to be in Starfleet and on a starship again, it does not mean he would not do his best job for the hopefully limited time he would be here. But a cleansing shower and some food is in order now that his patient is out of danger. Then he could proceed to getting down to work, not just regarding the new job, but his more personal reasons for being here as well.

He wonders what that woman, that strange overwrought woman was babbling about in regards to Rangin — and why no one had told him. Nathaniel does not think it matters to Rangin’s heath at this point, but nevertheless he supposes he should look into it. You could never be too careful.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's relieved the Captain uses some impressive command diplomacy to defuse the situation.

He starts to mve toward Kylah, going so far as to open his mouth to quietly ask her what's wrong, when she pretty obviously (it seems to him) veers away.

He feels more tired and sad than anything else. He lets himself indulge in it rather than fight it off--after all we're back on the ship and Rangin's incapacitated, so what more could go wrong, at least for the moment?

He signs internally and vectors toward Cecilia (staying out of Kylah;s way in so doing). He clears his throat. "You're not feeling under the weather, I hope?" he asks.

Registered
    Mar 2012

After acknowledging the Captain's reassurances with a dutiful but dull nod, Kylah casts a lingering backward glance that first takes in the new doctor--hoping he will ask her anything, tell her anything, but he seems not to regard her at all--and then, Velir. Who lies silent, pale, and, aside from his breathing, terrifyingly still.

On her way out, she passes Dr. T'Var but does not look at her. To Mr. Johnson she offers only a distracted nod. Finally she is in the corridor, where she makes a beeline to stand opposite the entrance. The others leaving the Sickbay are blurs whom she ignores by closing her eyes.

The exhaustion of the day conquers her. She leans against the wall, its cool temperature radiating beneath her thin uniform. A shudder ripples her frame. Even hugging herself does not warm her, because the chill stems from deep within--and it is dread.
    Last edited by choie; 20 Aug 2017 at 03:37 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia meets Luisa's sleepy smile with a somewhat twisted one of her own, then kneels down near the edge of the riverbank to look for rocks--she wasn't joking about wanting to throw stuff. And if she happens to aim for one of the smallest trees across the water while imagining it to be a little brunette damsel-in-distress, she'll damn well do it without an ounce of guilt.

"So, Lu, this might seem like a strange question," she begins caustically, her nimble fingers picking out a few loose wet pebbles from the soil. "But d'you sometimes feel like being competent is a disadvantage?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. T'Var is tending to Johnson; Dr. Bennett is alone with his patient at the moment. Rangin's biosigns are all looking better.

Lt. Cecilia Bennett, out in the corridor, smiles and touches Graham's arm. She says, "No, I'm fine. I just followed my cousin, our new doctor, here from the transporter room. I was there when Mr. Rangin was beamed up."

Guzman thinks for a moment. "Around incompetent people, or people who don't know their own limitations, sure. I guess I've felt that way before. Not often in Starfleet, fortunately, though. Why do you ask, Nia? Have you had that experience lately?"

Registered
    Apr 2015

"Me? Gee, what gives you that impression?" Nia keeps smiling despite her dry tone. She rises, now carrying a few small but nicely weighted stones in her hand. A tree across the rushing water catches her focus as she continues.

"But seriously...I probably wouldn't use the word incompetent--this person I'm thinking of wouldn't've made it onto the Yorktown without some skills." Which Nia must grudgingly admit she's seen first hand. But that's neither here nor there and she doesn't feel like singing Kylah's praises right now. "I guess it's more about someone like me--someone who's relatively self-sustaining--versus a drama-magnet who's drawing the attention and energy of someone I care about."

She jiggles the stones in her palm as she thinks. "Maybe I shouldn't blame her, maybe it's my friend who's letting himself get sucked in every. Damn. Time. He's got this generous soul and he wants to help, because... he kind of needs to. But the thing is, I think she somehow knows he can't help himself, like it's in his DNA. And she's using him. It's practically a symbiotic relationship. Ugh, Lu, I don't know. I really don't."

Great. Now she's embarrassed and irritated at herself for sounding too much like a jealous girlfriend. Nia turns back to the tree and glares at it as if it's just insulted her mother. Guided by childhood memories when, exploring the badlands far from her family home, she'd often had to defend herself from attacking bar't'brei--vicious, poison-spewing white lizards native to the area--Nia narrows her eyes, inhales slowly, and whirls her arm to fling the stone at the target.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 21 Aug 2017 at 02:49 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Onn misses narrowly.

Guzman follows the stone with her gaze, then looks back at Onn. She smiles. "You want me to find some more rocks for you? Looks like you need to throw a bunch."

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel grows satisfied that Rangin will be okay. Now all he needs is some rest. Nathaniel plans to take a look at the other patient as well, even though he is being tended to by T'Var. Nathaniel is sure the Vulcan is very capable, they usually are. But Nathaniel trusts his own opinion more than anyone else's. And it's not like she'd be offended, he thinks with an inner chuckle.

As he thinks of rest for Rangin, Nathaniel realizes as a wave of fatigue rushes over him, that he needs some himself. The long trip to get here, plus the excitement of his arrival seconds after being beamed on board has caught up with him. A shower, some food and some sleep in that order sounds good. Then he'd be ready to face his new life with Starfleet. And there was so much to do.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham feels as if he flushes slightly at Bennett's touch--not that he has any reason to, or should, for god's sake...

He shrugs slightly. "Your cousin? He seemed a little uh, abrupt--" he shakes his head and adds, quickly, "no offense. I guess I'd be silly to expect everybody to be halfway as nice as present company, relative or not."
    Last edited by general_urko; 23 Aug 2017 at 06:48 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

The rock whizzing past its intended target causes Nia to blink, then laugh ruefully aloud. She was twelve when she hit her last bar't'brei. Apparently twenty-plus years has messed with her aiming skills.

She pivots slightly and shows off her muddy palm full of small stones. "Already prepared," she says, raising an eyebrow. Then she uses her throwing hand to point a mock warning finger at Luisa. "Now look here, Guzman. This had best not get back to any of your fellow navigators. Or anyone at Helm." Her smile makes the jokey nature of her threat obvious before she turns back to the tree, clucking her tongue in annoyance.

"I mean, honestly. Little embarrassing that I can take a shuttle and weave it through an asteroid field like a needle through a tapestry, but can't throw a stupid rock at a tree less than... what, ten meters away? I better spend some time at the range. I'd kinda like to make sure I can still hit a target with something more precise than a phaser cannon."

Nia's very aware that the communicator on her hip hasn't buzzed. Her curiosity is piqued, she can't lie. What's Kylah's latest emergency, and just what does Booker need to do to save the princess this time? Hopefully nothing dangerous. Eh, he'll tell me... or not. Up to him.

The thought is very casual, very blasé. But she winds up her throwing arm and lets loose at the tree just the same.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. T'Var capably heals Johnson's sprained ankle with an osteo-regenerator and soon sends him on his way, good as new.

A young female Rhaandarite officer in red enters Sickbay and comes over. "Dr. Bennett? I'm Lt. JG Gallaya, Assistant Quartermaster. Welcome aboard the Yorktown! I understand you had some excitement right after coming aboard. I can show you to your cabin now, if you wish, or just give you the location and you can go there at your convenience. I've already arranged for your bags to be taken there."

Lt. Bennett smiles in response to Graham's comment. "That's very sweet. Yes, well... Nathaniel is a very skilled surgeon, but it seems his bedside manner might leave something to be desired. I haven't actually seen him at work in quite awhile. Hope he didn't rub you the wrong way."

Guzman laughs. "There's a reason Helm and not Nav is usually in charge of firing weapons, I guess. Try again!"

Onn misses again, but scores a solid hit on her third try.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Osteo-regenerator
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Rhaandarite

Registered
    May 2013

Graham chuckles slightly. "Uh, in my line of work, getting 'rubbed the wrong way' usually means someone--or something--is actually trying to smear you across the bulkhead. Hopefully things won't come to that with your cousin."

"I ah, need to..." Have a goddamn stiff drink, he thinks. Getting back in touch with Nia would be much more constructive, though...

"To take care of a couple things. Hope to...see you later, ma'- Cecilia."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah watches the door, paying scant attention to the others in the corridor, but she does overhear that Lt. Bennett is apparently a cousin to the doctor. This information sends her gaze over to the navigator. Should she ask if the man is likely to have paid attention to Kylah's warnings? She debates this for a few seconds but the proximity of Mr. Graham inhibits her.

Why is he even here? To make sure Velir is dead?

Kylah closes her eyes again, aghast at her own blistering anger. She does not truly believe such a thing about Mr. Graham. But she is exhausted from the literal ups and downs of the day's events, and she cannot forget how helpless she felt when control of her suit was wrested from her... thanks to him. He could not understand this. He has physical power, he has strength of will. No one could overpower him. Even the mental paralysis from Mr. Palver did not seem to break his spirit.

She has admired that about him. Envied that. Maybe if she were as strong as he, she would not be so willing to stand watch for Velir, a man who has hurt her tremendously both emotionally and--depending on his role in conspiring with Darren Zweller--physically, as well. But she cannot forget what she felt for him. Still feels for him.

A sob escapes her and she bends her head, not wanting to be seen. She blinks several times until her vision is clear enough to allow her to stare at the Sickbay doors, just in case they open and allow her to see whatever work is happening inside.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Bennett smiles impishly and says, "All right, ma-Booker. See you."

The Sickbay doors open again briefly as an orderly leaves, apparently at the end of his watch, and Kylah can see Rangin being moved to a recovery ward.

+ Reply to thread