+ Reply to thread
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,350 of 2466

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #6: "Marala"

Registered
    Apr 2015

The silver case snaps open with familiar ease, releasing a slight cloud of condensed air from within the chilled interior. Nia checks the two canister-like tanks inside, which each have a gauge measuring the highly pressurized fluid Bilitrium remaining. One's at 100%, the other at 48%. Exactly as expected.

"Well," she murmurs in response to Maybe-David's question while pulling out the less-full tank. "A 'hello' would've been good for a start." Her face tilts upward to meet the human male's gaze with a smile to indicate she's not really offended.

After a shove returns the Bilitrium case back under her bed, Nia pulls out a smaller case, this one made of stiff material rather than metal. She continues while undoing the clasps. "No, but seriously... are you really David, or do you share Denise's privacy fetish? Sorry, wrong word... I meant fears."

She peers inside the bag to confirm that everything's all there: two sterile face masks and connecting tubes, as well as an extra nebulizer and chain. Nia's got the other one around her neck now, and it's about half full too. But an extra never hurt, especially if she's placed in an inhospitable environment as she suggested.

The half-full tank slips easily into the bag without making it too bulky. As she lifts it up and onto her bed, she catches sight of another silver case, immediately recognizing it. It's where she stowed Booker's gifts, the lovely snowglobe and the precious water lily. Something in her heart twinges, like a forgotten bruise. The reminder of his generosity, which Nia hardly needs refreshing. Look how he's risking his career to save the lives of a dear friend and her son.

What if they have to go through with a marriage? Even a fake one might be painful to watch--assuming Nia's free to attend. And... be honest. Will it really be fake?

Nia bans the melancholy from her attitude and stands up, brushing her knees unnecessarily given there's no dirt or dust to remove. Next stop: her closet. "And by the way, did you say you guys are friends? Just friends?" She pauses in the act of grabbing three uniforms--two dresses, one suit just in case she can do some engineering work--and looks over her shoulder to offer the pair another goodnatured smile.

"I'm not just being nosy. It's just pretty good luck that a pair of friends got put in the same cabin. On top of the amazing fortune to get picked in the first place." She turns back to her closet and catches a glimpse of the bright jade satin dressing gown she wore on her last evening with Booker. "I wish I was staying here," she says with a sigh. "Maybe your amazing mojo could rub off on me."

Registered
    Sep 2009

David and Denise exchange a glance, and David says, "Yeah, we're just friends. And... lucky, I guess, as you said."

Denise's lips purse but she does not reply.

Registered
    Jan 2018

"Thank you," says Rangin after checking Xinle Bek's finger, "I think I have enough to go on. I will be in touch shortly."

He steps out of the cabin and opens a quick message to Roble:
    To Lt. Cmdr. Roble. Have Spoken to Xinle Bek. Nothing to contradict his claim about kinship. Looks like it was done as a last ditch measure, but is still legitimate. Recommend contacting each miner and asking them about enjevin and see how they respond. Also check each for puncture mark showing they were part of the ritual.
    He sends off the message before penning a second one. This time to the first person he can currently remember in that role.
    To Lt. Ferguson. Please confirm if Transporters are still active and available for colony beam out. Thanks. Ens. Rangin
    That sets up knowing if they can beam out, because if they cannot this task becomes a moot point anyway. And he gets to know if Ferguson is under the same kind of confinement as Kylah was/is supposed to be. Now, Rangin waits for the responses to come back in.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Science Officer soon replies, Understood, and thank you, Ensign. ROBLE.

Ferguson does not respond.

Registered
    Mar 2012

At last Kylah reaches her destination, #4A14. Self-conscious, she looks in both directions before raising her palm to the chime. She hears it--distantly--and starts to give her name.

But she hesitates. Identifying herself too loudly seems dangerous. The vast majority of the crew probably do not know her--it seems highly doubtful most would recognize her by sight--but her name is probably familiar.

Instead she presses the chime pad a second, urgent time. She will wait until she senses someone approaching before quietly confirming who she is to one of her guests.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia randomly stuffs her clothes into a small bag now lying open on her bed--she's not gifted with the art of packing, even if she did care whether things get wrinkled. And she absolutely doesn't.

Bending over the bag, she raises an eyebrow at the young man's response, which manages to avoid her question about his name. Looks like she'll still be thinking of him as Maybe-David.

Just as she walks back to her closet, she hears her door chime. Automatically she calls out, "Come," muffled by the clothes around her. It's only the second chime that reminds her... Oh yeah. Her voice command won't work. She can't imagine who it is; obviously not Ensign Li with her surprise meal, as he'd just chime and enter.

"Well that ain't for me," Nia says dryly, poking her head out to nod at Not-Denise. She doesn't feel like elaborating on her confinement, so she just shrugs and adds, "Can one of you get that? I'm a little busy here, and maybe it's some crew member with some, I dunno, orientation materials. A datapad with the ship's layout or whatever."

The last words are more murmured into her closet than projected toward her guests. Her anger, which has been dialed down to a simmer, is reset to its boiling point. The situation is fucking ridiculous. How in the name of Seht'dar's holy balls is she gonna stay sane without knowing what's happening with Booker, with Marala and Nikolai?

Registered
    Sep 2009

David goes to the door and says, "Come." The door opens and there stands Ens. Kylah.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin counts to thirty, waiting for half a minute, for any further response either from Roble or Ferguson, but nothing.

Shrugging, he still has a few minutes he thinks before he needs to swing back to Kylah’s cabin and hope against hope that she is doing as he asks and is there, regardless of what she is getting up to out of sight. Out of sight, out of mind, how appropriate indeed.

But with nothing further to do science-wise, that just leaves him trying to find out what happened to Ferguson. Ok, where to look, although the ideal start would be Ferguson’s quarters, especially as it’s on the way back to Kylah’s. Let see if he is also as locked in as Kylah is supposed to be.

Mind made up, and nothing else to do, Rangin heads back to Deck 7.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Taken aback by the quickly opened door, Kylah recovers and darts a glance inside the cabin, where she finds Mrs. Soeryadjaya. She exhales her held breath in relief. "Quick, please let me in, I must not be seen out here." Once she slips past him, she shakes her head while absently noticing Mr. Johnson's tray--the plates are empty, so the pair must have enjoyed it. "You should have waited for me to identify my House. That is what we arranged, do you not remember?"

The open door worries her, and she backs away while beckoning Mr. Yarrow to join her. Since he seems to prefer silence, Kylah aims her nervous questions at his employer. "Ma'am, have there been any problems? You have not been disturbed by visitors, have you? I do not know when to expect the woman whose cabin this is, but she will likely return soon. You have nothing to fear. You can tell her--"

Her words cut off when a tall figure appears from within the closet and bathroom area, stopping to lean on one hip. "Please go on, Ensign. Tell me what, exactly?" Lt. Onn's eyebrows arch as she takes in Kylah's appearance, then switches to focus on Mrs. Soeryadjaya. "Something even remotely resembling the truth would be nice."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia, one armful of underwear tucked close against her side, switches from the older woman to the younger.

When she'd heard the soft voice of whoever was entering her quarters, Nia tried to place it: it was familiar. She'd decided to take a look. But the newcomer seemed at first glance like a stranger. A civilian girl, pretty and in a lovely, expensive-looking party dress. Maybe Not-Denise's daughter?

But regardless of her appearance, the girl's furtive words and formal tone are unmistakable. Kylah. Of course. So Nia issued her challenge, both to Kylah and Not-Denise. Neither responds fast enough for her.

She steps closer to her bed and unceremoniously dumps the bundle of slippery silk lingerie into her bag, then stands with arms folded over her chest. It's hard to fathom what these three are up to. Her annoyance is more pent up frustration over Booker's problems.

"Out with it, folks. What's going on here? Ensign, why've you been obsessed with my living quarters today?" She softens her tone when turning to speak to the woman who is not a trouble-causing junior officer. "And 'Denise,' why did you act as if you didn't know Kylah when I mentioned her?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 09 Nov 2020 at 12:58 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin makes his way through the crowded corridors and finds Ferguson's quarters. His cabinmate, another Engineering lieutenant, says he's on duty. "Try Transporter Room 4," he suggests.

Denise looks at Kylah, and then at Onn. "I don't... think I have anything to say right now." David looks like he just wants to sink through the deck and never be seen again.

Mahmoud has not been gone long when the comm panel in the cabin sounds again: "Singh to Graham."

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham moves rapidly...maybe a little too rapidly, he nods and whispers an apology to Marala.

Shit. Nerves?

"Sorry," he says, having jumped up and reached for the comm panel.

He pauses to clear his throat.

"Ah, Graham here, Captain."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah's face muscles freeze into a mask of mortification. She should have sensed Lt. Onn, why did she not even try to gauge if someone else was in the room besides the two stowaways?

"Mrs.--Denise?" She blurts the unfamiliar name, her gaze darting from the senior officer to Mrs. Soeryadjaya. Kylah takes a few seconds to digest the information Lt. Onn has shared. "She--we did not meet, earlier. I have seen only Mr.--Mr.--" Did Mr. Yarrow give an alias as well? She turns to him, hoping to get some hint from his reaction to her unasked question.

"Mister, yeah, we know he's male. Go on," Lt. Onn prompts. "What name did he give you?"

Kylah shakes her head and says the only thing she can. "I do not remember. I beg your pardon, sir." After a fleeting apologetic smile, she backs away. "I just... I accompanied them from the transporter room, Lt. Onn. I only returned now to make sure they were settled in. And to see if they--if they needed anything else."

"Funny. Denise told me a male officer led them here." Lt. Onn takes a step forward, her own smile decidedly unapologetic. "Wanna try again?"

"No. I mean... Yes, she is right, of course. Someone from security, I think, was in front. I did not recognize him. I followed behind, and only spoke with Mr.--" She stares blankly, still not knowing what to say.

Lt. Onn gestures with a palm to Mr. Yarrow. "David," she says dryly. "So it took two officers to handle two guests. Seems kind of inefficient to me. Any reason y'all were in some kind of convoy?"

Clasping her cold palms together, Kylah tries to think of a response and falls short. But she must decrease her guests' involvement in all this deception. "Lieutenant, may I speak to you in private? And Mr.--Mr. David," she adds with a nod toward Mrs. Soeryadjaya. "If both of you could please excuse us?"

Kylah by me, Nia by whatsername.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Mr. Graham," Capt. Singh says, "I understand that you have proposed to Mrs. Gromov, and that she has accepted your proposal. Is that so?"

"Denise" looks significantly at Kylah. "By all means. I hope we don't have a problem here...?"

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin thanks the lieutenant for the information. Not only is Ferguson still on duty, but he is also not being locked away like Kylah is supposed to be. Chances are that whatever scheme they pair of them had pulled, then Ferguson was still an unknown party to Security. But checking and making sure is the only real way to find out.

It shouldn’t take too long.

Rangin pauses for a moment and, with the absence of any further orders coming through, heads off to Transporter Room 4.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham instinctively turns to look at Marala...are you wondering if she's changed her mind? That you heard right?

"That is correct, Captain," he says slowly and deliberately.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Without turning away from Kylah, Nia lifts her hands in a sort of shrug. "Not sure if we have a problem or not, Denise. Let me see what the Ensign here has to say."

She joins Kylah at the forward side of the room, where Kylah is crowding herself up against the desk and terminal--presumably to get as distant from the others as possible. "All right," Nia says in an undertone. "What's the deal? First things first--do you know why those two are using aliases? We must've done an ID check when they beamed up, so why are they playing coy now?"

Hugging herself, Kylah seems even smaller and younger than usual. "I do not know. Perhaps they just want their privacy? As you say, the quartermaster must have had their names when they were assigned."

"Uh huh." Nia hasn't missed how careful and deliberate Kylah's words were. She continues to examine the Elasian girl with a dubious eye. "Why were you accompanying them? I want the truth. Do you know them? I can't see how that's possible but... well, Booker found someone he knew down there, unlikely as that was. Why not you?"

There is a pause. Then Kylah straightens to her full but not very impressive height, her chin lifted in an apparent attempt at dignity. "On my word, I met these two for the first time less than an hour ago, when they arrived."

Nia runs this statement through her internal bullshitometer, pinning Kylah with her gaze. And the result of her calculations and measurements is...

She has no flipping idea. The girl lies a lot. She could be very good at it.

"If you don't know them, why were you really accompanying them? And what's with the get-up?" Nia gestures to the party frock. "You belong at a fairy tale picnic with songbirds sitting on your shoulders."

Kylah's inky black eyes are fathomless. "I--I am off-duty. I have a right to wear what I wish, when I am not at a post."

Nia is pretty sure that's not true, but honestly, the outfit is the least hinky part of this whole situation. "Okaaay. And I'm gonna ask one more time, why were you accomp--"

"It is embarrassing." Kylah stares down at her sandal-clad feet. Nia bends slightly, suspecting she's trying to avoid meeting Nia's eyes while thinking of an excuse. Suddenly Kylah again lifts her chin. "I should just admit it, but... please do not make fun of me."

"Mmm. I'll try, but I'm making no promises. C'mon, spill it, Ensign."

Now Kylah shifts her stance--and Nia realizes she has changed her position so that Nia is blocking the others from seeing her. "When I saw Mr. David, he reminded me so very much of someone I knew back on Elas. A young man I knew very well." Pale skin turns pink, adding some much-needed color to her face. "I knew it could not be the same person, but I was drawn to him and I felt so homesick that I... I was just compelled."

Well, the performance is excellent. Nia can't deny that. Halting voice, faraway stare, glistening eyes. Not 100% convincing but it's skillfully done nevertheless. "Uh huh. I'm pretty sure 'David' is his first name, or at least, his pretend first name. Anyway, so that's why you came back here? Even though you obviously know by now they're not the same guy?"

"I know it was foolish; I have been told that chasing a memory can make one do strange things. Although my old friend is long gone, I would do anything to see him. Or anyone who looks like him, as silly as it seems. It was folly. A vain attempt to relive a simpler and happier time."

Unbidden, a quick vision of Booker and Marala side by side flashes through Nia's mind. With it comes the same bruise-like heartache she felt earlier. "I suppose," she murmurs. "I wouldn't know. My past is way the hell more complicated and ugly than my present."

She takes a deep breath to clear her head. "All right. Now can you tell me why you've been hanging around my quarters all day? And don't think I'm forgetting the fact that it's a helluva strange coincidence that the man who evokes such strong feelings in you just happens to be assigned to these very quarters."

"With--with respect, ma'am, coincidences are strange, by their nature. Or they would not be coincidences."

Slowly crossing her arms, Nia tilts her head with an equally crooked smile. "You're good with the aphorisms today, Ensign. Don't obfuscate with me. Just talk. Start with your new fetish for this cabin."

Nia by me, of course, and Kylah by choie

Registered
    Sep 2009

The corridor outside Transporter Room 4 is particularly crowded with evacuees from Novy Rostov, and as Rangin enters the room another group of six is beamed up. Two of them are small children, crying piteously and clutching the hands of their father. Ferguson, behind the control console with a female Engineering officer standing nearby, looks tired and stressed.

"Three more to go," the woman says. "I'll be glad to do them, if you want, sir."

"No," he snaps. "I've got this. I'll finish up."

Marala smiles encouragingly at Graham and squeezes his hand.

The Captain says, "Then congratulations are in order. My best wishes to you both. When did you intend to have the ceremony?"

Registered
    May 2013

Graham returns the squeeze of his hand in kind, gently, then stumbles over his response.

"I--we--if..."

He clears his throat. "With your permission, if it's possible to do this after--when we're...not racing a catastrophe...I think we would appreciate the chance to conduct something we could...plan, a bit. And let Marala's son, and my daughter, have more than a few hours to settle in to the idea."

And Nia. And Nia. His heart pounds a little harder at that thought.

Registered
    Sep 2009

After a pause, Singh says, "Very well. That would probably be for the best, if you wanted me to perform the ceremony, given all that's going on right now." She adds wryly, "Not that I insist upon the privilege, Mr. Graham, nor that my feelings would be hurt if you decide upon another person to do the honours. In any event, I will authorize a subspace call for you to contact your daughter immediately."

Onn's door chimes again.

Registered
    May 2013

"I'd...thank you, Captain. I'll have to ask Marala of course, but I'd be honored if you'd preside," Graham replies.

The prospect of talking face to face with Lizzie scares him more than fighting a dozen angry Klingons.

Because you're good at fighting Klingons, Booker. But you're bad at being a father.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Yes, please do," the Captain says. "And again, congratulations. Singh out."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Before Nia gets to hear Kylah's response--whatever it was going to be--the chime intrudes. She can't help rolling her eyes at the unusual influx of visitors, but accepts that her irritation is, well, irrational. If there's any news to be heard about Booker or the Gromovs, it's likely that the only way Nia will hear about it is face-to-face.

Since she's close enough to the door, she doesn't bother asking Kylah for a favor. Especially since the young woman reacts like a startled mouse and actually scurries away, apparently in a sudden rush to speak with "Denise."

Nia frowns in suspicion but decides to leave her Kylah-related questions for later. Taking a stride to the door, she calls out, "Who is it?"

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin moves off to one side of the Transporter room, looking at the refugees coming in and feels some semblance of relief and satisfaction that despite everything they are still pulling people from the surface and that some people will survive. It’s one thing to see them scattered around the corridors of the USS Yorktown, but another to see yet more arrive, with each group a little bit extra pulled to safety.

He also notes Ferguson’s state with a wry smile; anything unhelpful that goes his way is always a good thing. But if Ferguson is here, then it is unlikely that it is noted as being part of Kylah’s plot. Of course, the stress could be due to pulling so many people from the surface, but the thought that Vargas might have actually done his job and caught him, then he is only here knowing that once he finishes, he is going to get locked away.

It’s a small wish that Rangin can cling to for a moment or two, but it is unlikely to be the situation. Far more likely that Ferguson has covered his tracks well, and Vargas will not only never know, but have no way to prove anything, even if he did.

With nothing else to do, Rangin leans back against the wall, giving an appearance of being there to help, but just happy to watch the next set of people beam up, before he needs to force himself to return to Kylah’s quarters.

Registered
    Mar 2012

The gentle chime coming from the door panel is not gentle enough to prevent Kylah from shrinking from it, all nerves electrified as if a switch has been flipped. Without a thought, much less a word to Lt. Onn, she rushes to Mrs. Soeryadjaya and Mr. Yarrow near the small alcove by the closet.

She is tempted to draw them into the bathroom beyond, but that would bolster Lt. Onn's skepticism--which Kylah needs no empathic abilities to sense. She has, however, noted that the older woman is hiding underlying anxiety, along with melancholy, despite Lt. Onn's veil of insouciance.

To her guests, Kylah speaks as quietly as she can. "I am terribly sorry if my arrival has put you at increased risk. I take it the Lieutenant has assumed--I mean," she adds with a furtive glance back at Lt. Onn, "she knows--that you are ordinary refugees who were assigned to her cabin? I wish you had not used aliases, though. In my experience she is not easily fooled, and if her mind were not distracted I do not think..."

But this is water under the bridge. No sense in chastising them now. "I cannot stay long. I have been... I am not supposed to be here, and I am afraid if caught, I--I might be charged with extreme disobedience. But I had to check on you, and I had no other way to do so. Is there anything you need to tell me? Anything at all that I should corroborate if asked?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Onn hears through the door, "It's Ens. Li, ma'am. I have a meal for you."

Ferguson glances over Rangin and looks puzzled for just a moment, but says nothing and returns his attention to the transporter console. He talks quietly to the other Engineering officer as those just beamed up are taken under the supervision of a rating in Science blue with a data tablet in hand. He says loudly, "Welcome aboard the Yorktown, folks. Please bring your things and follow me, and we'll get you settled in. This way, please!" Noisily and with nothing approaching Starfleet discipline, they follow him out into the corridor.

"Denise" the stowaway says quickly and curtly to Kylah, "I didn't know what to tell her, so I told her as little as I could. I thought we were going to be undisturbed here. I introduced him as 'David,' my friend. Say whatever you need to to get rid of her, or find us someplace else where no one's going to be asking questions, would you?" She is not pleased.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 22 Nov 2020 at 11:14 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin leans back against the wall out of the way and pulls out his datapad to get the latest figures of the number of colonists who have been transported up and how soon the USS Yorktown is likely to be leaving orbit.

He suddenly realises that with all the colonists on board, he has not yet been back to his cabin, time flying away with everything going on, and he is unaware of if he is still going to be in the same quarters or if others will be moving in.

He takes a quick look to see if he has any messages telling him, or if he will have to go back to his cabin to find out.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin sees that less than a hundred people remain to be beamed up from the colony below.

He also has a text from the Ship's Quartermaster informing him that he and his cabinmate, Ens. Charles Gordon, will be having another Engineering officer move in with them, Ens. Jim Delaney.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah's hands reflexively clench into fists, but initially she says nothing until she has backed away, hidden within the closet only a few paces away from the bathroom. As fearful as she is, she cannot help noticing the haphazard state in which Lt. Onn keeps her personal items. She shakes her head in a mixture of disapproval and envy. It must be nice not to agonize over the placement of every last item.

"Ma'am," she murmurs to Mrs. Soeryadaya, beckoning her closer. "I am sorry, I do not think it possible to get you a space of your own. Everyone is doubling up, and with our ship at its peak capacity, it is unlikely any cabin will be free. I wish I could offer you mine, but I have been assigned a roommate."

Kylah sighs, taking a quick measure of the items on the unmade bed. "As for the Lieutenant... she seems to be packing, so you may get your wish. What worries me is whether this means other guests are expected. No one knows you are here, of course, so..."

This is not true, and Kylah's heart pounds rapidly at the knowledge that both Velir and Lt. Ferguson hold the power to ruin all of her plans. Velir would do so reluctantly, but as for the odious human... She closes her eyes briefly. Oh, please let Velir find him, please let him be at the controls or safe somewhere...

She has no doubt whatsoever that if Cmdr. Vargas learned that Lt. Ferguson had beamed a pair of unauthorized unknowns to the ship, he would not hesitate to give them up, even if it means their deaths. Kylah's fate is sealed either way, but she cannot bear to think of the man and woman in front of her being sent back to a horrific death.

"I know this is uncomfortable, I know it is not how you are used to traveling. But it will only be a few days. The stakes are so high... please, you must bear it. I cannot do more. As it is, I--I am effectively a fugitive, and am risking a great deal to be here." Kylah swallows and looks at Mr. Yarrow. "Sir, do you know the time? I must return to my cabin before I am missed."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Ensign Li, back again? Oh right! The meal. Nia tries to ignore Kylah's disappearing act and the urgent whispers now emanating from her closet alcove. "Come in, Ensign. I'd open the door myself, but you know voice commands are currently a no-go. At least for me."

She backs up a step, curious to see what sort of food the security officer chose.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 22 Nov 2020 at 05:35 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Mrs. Soeryadjaya doesn't look any more pleased than she was before. She hisses, "You said you'd be able to delay her. You said we wouldn't be thrown out, and that you'd hide us in your quarters."

Yarrow tells Kylah apologetically, "I'm sorry, I don't know the time. I don't have a chrono with me."

The door opens and Ens. Li enters with a tray. The tray holds a sandwich of some kind on what appears to be whole wheat bread, a bowl of crackers and an apple. There is also a glass of ice water and a mug of coffee, still steaming. He says, "I hope you'll find something here you like, ma'am. The Mess is kind of busy right now, as you might expect."

Then he frowns and looks around.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 22 Nov 2020 at 11:32 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah absently thanks Mr. Yarrow, but focuses on his employer. "I know I promised such things. I was wrong. I tried, but everything is chaos. Take offense if you must, but none was intended. I did all I could to get you onto the ship. You have no idea what I am risking--what I will be enduring, all for you."

After her choked words, she hears the opening door and the low, masculine tone of whoever has entered. She shrinks backwards, then clutches her hands prayerfully. "Please, madam," she whispers, though a hint of steel enters her voice. "Thousands will die today who lack your good fortune and connections. You... you are on board. You have your lives. Is that not enough to outweigh any inconvenience?"

Registered
    Apr 2015

A glance at the humble, generic food on display before her makes Nia smile despite herself. It's not at all what she wanted. Ensign Li appears to be human, probably with family from one of Earth's Asian countries--although Nia isn't well enough trained to distinguish all the different varieties of Terran subcultures. No more than an offlander would be able to tell which of Sidonia's four main tribal groups she belongs to.

So she can't guess at what region the security officer's people are from, or whatever food he might have chosen for himself: She was just hoping for something of his own taste or culture; something certainly less... well, blah. But she also realizes what a stupid request it was in the first place, and that's what twists her mouth into a rueful smile.

"Thanks, Li, this looks great. Especially the ice water, believe it or not. Someone knows my taste, or guessed pretty well." She holds her arms out for the tray. "Here, lemme take that. You've been treated like a waiter too long. I'm sorry for putting this burden on you--and the Mess crew, for that matter."

Noting his displeased expression, she follows the direction of his gaze and believes she understands the source of that frown. “Yeah, sorry. I’m not the neatest of officers. The, um, 'luxury'--" she uses air quotes--"of having a unique biological makeup lets me live alone, and I guess I’ve got a bit lax in that area. I know you’ve already done enough for me, but I’d sure appreciate it if you’d do me a solid and don’t tell Vargas. All I need is another charge--whatever that’d be. Sloppiness above and beyond?” Nia smiles and tosses her head in the direction of the silken items draped on her bag. “Improper lingerie maintenance?”

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin raises his eyebrows at the choice of person coming to share quarters. Oh well, these things happen to the best of us. Rangin still thinks Delaney's demotion and the subsequent promotions for certain people called Graham show that life is generally unfair and unjust when it comes down to it.

Talking of unfair and unjust, Rangin wonders if he can get anything out of Ferguson before he heads out. How is a good way to approach him, perhaps starting on what he thinks he is good at, but obviously worn down from the evacuation.

He walks across all smiles, although weary in demeanour, which is just how he feels. “How’s it going, only a few left to transport, eh Sir?” he addresses to Ferguson while also nodding to other Engineering officer. “and then we can all relax and get out of danger, isn’t that right?”

Registered
    Sep 2009

Mrs. Soeryadjaya crosses her arms and doesn't look any happier, but seems at least to concede Kylah's point. She finally says, "Let's just get out of this goddamned star system, and then we'll have more to discuss. A lot more. I guarantee it."

Ens. Li smiles a little uncertainly. "It's not your housekeeping, ma'am. I thought I...." He pauses a moment, seems to concentrate for a moment, then says, "Never mind. If there's nothing else, I'll be on my way." He turns to go.

Ferguson looks up from the transporter control console only briefly before turning back to his work. He says, "Yeah. Four more groups to beam up here. The other transporter rooms are hard at work, too."

It is now 1712 hours, ship's time.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin nods sagely at Ferguson’s words. “Good to hear they have all been working at full capacity, I doubt we would have got everyone off otherwise. I’m just hoping there are no last minute hiccups, people left behind, wrong people beamed up, that sort of thing”, he says introspectively knowing the state of play with Xinle Bek.

He looks across at the two behind the console, “You can imagine what kind of stink that is going will cause, if something like that were to happen, but I’m sure you’ve got it all in hand. Although having said that...” Rangin tails his voice off and something does come to mind, a way to perhaps delay going back.

“...I’m not doing anything at the moment, so if there is anything you need to help finish off, let me know?” Rangin looks back at the pair in expectation, and with a little bit of hope.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham asks Marala’s permission to return to his quarters to tell his daughter the news.

Whatever Lizzie’s reaction, she should have the space to have it, without feeling pressured. Or worrying about hurting someone else’s feelings.

He is honestly not sure what to expect. As unsure as he was about the notion of Lizzie meeting Nia, some day, before--before all this happened.

Once back in his quarters, he shifts uneasily in front of the comms screen, waiting first to see if the Captain has indeed cleared him to make a subspace call. And then in anticipation of Lizzie answering.

The former proves true: the signal is live.

“Stand by.”

He almost jumps at the voice of the computer.

“Stand by.”

“St--”

“Dad?”

His daughter’s face appears on the screen. Sharp, angular, pretty. So much like her mother.

And tired...groggy even. Must be late on Earth. Or early.

Her brow furrows. “Is everything all right?”

“Ah….”

Graham clears his throat and resists the urge to take a parade rest stance.

You’re not going through an inspection, you’re trying to talk to your own flesh and blood, Booker.

“Yes, no-- nothing to worry about, Lizzie. Ah--school’s OK?”

He thinks he sees a sense of relief, behind her eyes. God knows she and her mother had gotten more than one subspace calls about him being injured or hospitalized in the line of duty.

Lizzie yawns. “Um, yes, dad. Four-oh and all that.”

Her eyes narrow. “Are you sure you’re OK? You look a little...well, not right.”

“Ah--we’re on a hell of a mission. But...that’s not why I’m calling. In the course of, uh, what’s going on, I met someone. An old, ah friend. I’ve asked her to--to marry me. I wanted to tell you that.”

Lizzie blinks and looks away for a moment, then turns back to face her father.
    “Does she--I’m guessing it’s a she, unless there’s something you haven’t been telling me--have a name?” She’s smiling slightly.

“Marala,” Graham says, pronouncing each syllable with reverence that surprises him. “I...met her when I was a few years younger than you. Originally.”

“She said yes?”

Graham nods.

“Well, that’s good, right?”

“Yes, for all kinds of reasons, but--I...I’ll always love your mom. I don’t want you to think…”

Lizzie’s jaw tightens. “We only have memories and tomorrow, dad,” she says more softly than her expression suggests she would. “You know that, and I do, too.”

Graham nods again. “Ah, Lizzie, I’ve been...I don’t know if you want her in your life. God knows I’ve done a bad job as a father since...well, you know. But she’s a good person. A strong woman. If you want to get to know her...ever.”

“I’d like to know you more, sometimes, dad,” she nearly whispers, looking down. Then she catches his eyes. “Maybe you’d both come here to Earth sometime soon?”

Graham’s fist clench, out of the comm systems camera field of vision. “Uh--yes, we could do that. And--her son, Nikolai. He’s a fair bit younger than you. A good kid, I think.”

“I remember how much you cared for your little sister, dad. If I could do half as well as a big sister, I’d be proud of it.”

“Ah, well---”

“There’s some stuff I need to tell you, too, dad--but...not now. Maybe face to face...I hope?”

Graham nods again. “I’ll try, Lizzie.” he replies quietly. “I hope so.”

Elizabethe purses her lips, and Graham can tell her hands have dropped to her hips.

Just like her mother.

“It’s late, I should go. But I’m--I’m not mad about it, if that’s what you’re worried about.”

Graham smiles, partly in gratitude, partly at seeing what intimate and awed and smote him about her late mother alive and well.

“I’m--glad. And--I love you Lizzie. I mess up showing it all the time, but I do.”

Now her smile is wide and authentic-- even as she rolls her eyes. “You are such a big doofus, dad. For everything you’ve ever fucked up, and god knows I’m not going to tell there isn’t a long list, in my book--you loved mom, and you love me, and I have no doubt you love Marala. And this Nikolai, too.”

“Yeah.” Graham states.

Lizzie nods. “Yeah. Let me know if getting back here is in the cards anytime soon.”

He had hovers over the console. “And I love you too,” she adds as it falls and the screen goes dark.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ferguson shakes his head briskly, finishes a surface-site scan and engages the controls, moving the three slides in their tracks and beaming up the next group of evacuees from Novy Rostov. He says, "No, thanks. I've got this." Six people appear on the platform, all grownups, and the room is filled once more with the clash and babble of many civilian voices.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah inclines her head, just barely able to see Lt. Onn by peeking past a sleeve of a green satin dressing gown. "Yes, madam, I am sure you will have words for me," she murmurs. "I will consider myself fortunate if I am able to hear them. I do not believe I may receive visitors in the Brig."

She steps backwards into the chaos of garments and what appears to be sports or recreational wear. Then she raises her voice just enough to be heard by Mr. Yarrow. "Sir, if this man comes nearer, please let me know. I must not be seen." Curling her fingers around the edge of the closet door, she painstakingly draws it further closed.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Ensign Li's curious demeanor only adds to the surreal atmosphere that's surrounded Nia since leaving her shuttle to be greeted by security. "Hang on a sec." She gazes at the threesome at the other end of the room. Or rather, the duo, now that Kylah has stashed herself who knows where and for who knows what reason.

Then Nia refocuses on the man nearby as she places the tray on her dresser. Her now-free hands are planted on her hips. "C'mon. What's bothering you, Li?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Li says, "I'm just wondering what's going on in here. I thought you were alone in your quarters, ma'am... or supposed to be?"

Registered
    Apr 2015

A bit of tension dissolves from Nia's shoulder muscles. Is that all that's bugging him? "You're not wrong. I usually bunk alone. I mean, y'know, except for when--"

Tact kicks in. No need to share her personal life, as much as her crew mates already know about it. "Except for today. If I hadn't got in this current situation..." Her hand gestures back and forth between Ensign Li and herself. "...I'd be moved somewhere else. You know, the cabin reassignments? I was supposed to shack up with...who was it...?" To jog her memory, she reaches for her communicator, intending to access the earlier memo from Vargas.

Crap. Again she remembers she's S.O.L. as far as communications devices go. She releases an annoyed sigh that seems to unlock the nugget of information. "Oh right, Melissa Tsu. Just did a stint with her at helm, actually." Nia nods at her storage cases on the bed. "That's why I'm packing. You may've heard me in Vargas's office, volunteering to move to any non-human-friendly space. Save the oxygen and l/s resources for someone else. But who knows where I'm gonna end up now."

She shrugs. "So I’m the oddball here. This space was obviously meant for the refugees." After a reflexive glance back at the strangers, she freezes and swivels to stare at Li, a grin brightening her face. "Wait. You're not worried I'm gonna ask one of them to let me sneak outta here, are you? I admit I'm ballsy, but that crazy I ain't."
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 02 Dec 2020 at 02:08 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ens. Li says slowly, "No, but... who are they, ma'am? I was told you would be alone in your quarters."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia lifts a shoulder. "Yeah, I thought I'd be alone too, but at a time like this, I guess situations are changing every minute. Anyway, I only know their first names. They're kinda skittish about talking too much about their background, but that's easy to fix."

She turns to the guests, though something's now buzzing in the back of her mind. "Um, 'Denise,'" she says more loudly, "can you come here for a second? Just wanna clear up your IDs..."

By the time she finishes the question, the little nagging thought pushes its way forward. Curious, she focuses on Ensign Li. "You were 'told' I would be alone? By who? You've been shadowing me since I got off the shuttle, and no one talked about my living situation. Vargas sure didn't when he told you to take me and Graham to our quarters."

Her brows furrow. Does this mean Vargas knew all along he'd be taking them into custody? That nothing she and Booker said would've made a difference? It makes no sense. Vargas can be a shit-heel at times, but he's not that arbitrary or mule-headed.

Besides, this is an emergency situation where nothing is settled, where everyone's had to improvise. So why is Li so freaked out--even maybe irked--by her not being alone?

Oh.

Nia folds her arms across her chest and examines the junior officer. She should've figured this out when he was so polite about coming back here without his silent colleague. "Look, Ensign," she says more softly. "If you... hypothetically... had any ideas about me, and being alone in here with me, I hope you'd know to sweep 'em out of your head damn fast."

Keeping things hypothetical to give him an out, Nia continues. "If that had been the case, I'm sure you'd've figured out it wouldn't have mattered. I mean, I get it. I've got a rep and I'm not ashamed about it. Doesn't make me ready and willing for just anyone, and not all the time. And this timing is pretty... icky, for lack of a better word. Normally I have the upper hand as your superior, but right now..."

Her gaze briefly shifts down toward the phaser on his belt, then back up. "With you fully rigged up, and me with no weapon, no communicator... The power balance is in your favor. So this whole scenario, unlikely as it seems, would be incredibly inappropriate. You get that, right?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Perspiration beading on her forehead, Kylah does her best to listen to anything she can hear from Lt. Onn and the mystery officer. It's all too muffled.

At least until she hears the older woman calling out for Mrs. Soeryadjaya's false name. Heartbeat practically slamming against her ribcage, Kylah clutches at the door and reaches out to graze Mr. Yarrow's sleeve.

"What are they saying?" she hisses. "What does she want?" But it is obvious; Kylah heard the word 'IDs,' after all. "Do not tell her anything, let me--let me just think!"

Desperation gnaws at her like a hungry dog at a bone. She must not hyperventilate although it does seem hard to breathe. What name can they give? Lt. Onn might have the list, she might compare whatever Mrs. Soeryadjaya says against it.

Kylah herself saw the list not that long ago, in Sickbay, when Mr. Alvarez was kind enough to show her. But while she is extremely good at memorizing information--one of the skills Aldaan greedily encouraged in her--this is quite different from mentally recording the contents of various messages or plans or conversations.

In such past situations, she had known there was a need to imprint them into her memory. Whereas when she read the lottery list, she had no idea of needing to take in any other name but "Soeryadjaya" and "Yarrow."

Still, she scanned the S and Y names on the list extremely closely, hoping in vain to find her uncle's friends. Perhaps that might have helped?

She closes her eyes and concentrates, bringing back the memories of her sitting on the Sickbay bed, Carlos Alvarez nearby, holding the datapad and taking in name after name on this precious, life-changing lottery list. Is it at all possible to dredge up any other family surnames?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ens. Li turns beet red, holds up both hands and says, "Uh, no, ma'am! That's not what I meant, not at all." He actually backs away a step or two from Onn.

Mrs. Soeryadjaya stares intently at Kylah; she cannot see Yarrow in the shadows from where she stands. Racking her brains, Kylah remembers the S last names of Simpson, Smith and Seleznyov. For the life of her, she cannot remember any Ys.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah almost stumbles when her mind releases the names. She rights herself and grabs--something, whatever is nearest--to hold while she leaves the safety of the closet.

"I remember--I have someone, a name, at least, that might help, perhaps delay--" Her rushed whisper is as clumsy as she is, and she takes a quick steadying breath. "I must get you out of here, and the best way is if you show up on that lottery list. There is at least one person with the family name of Seleznyov. Do either of you know someone with this name?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Both of the stowaways stare at her. Mrs. Soeryadjaya shakes her head crossly, but Yarrow says, "I knew a Seleznyov once, Yuri Seleznyov, when I lived in Moscow."

Graham's communicator beeps.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah gives a curt nod while keeping her gaze on Mrs. Soeryadjaya. "Then that is your name," she whispers. "If they ask. I hope to leave with you. I may have to pretend--it depends on who is out there, and whether the Lieutenant is...."

She does not know how to finish. Whether Lt. Onn is gullible? No; any lie she tells will be immediately recognized for what it is. The woman is not a fool, and even if she were, this is such a patently obvious tale that anyone would call her out on it--if they know her.

Then what must she rely upon? Whether Lt. Onn is generous? That too is not right. It will take more than mere generosity for the older woman to go along with any ruse.

I must make her understand. Somehow...

There is only one way, and riskier than Kylah would ever try on anyone except for in the direst circumstance. Trembling, she sweeps a hand weakly across her sweating forehead; she is simultaneously overheated and freezing. This will be the second time today she stretches the use of her empath skills and she is already so very tired...

But she must do what she must. She continues without finishing her earlier thought. "Please forgive me any liberties, madam. Everything I do and say is intended to save your lives. You must be at your most congenial, most humble. And reticent," she adds quickly with a guarded look at Mrs. Soeryadjaya.

After a cleansing breath, Kylah peeks as far out of the alcove as necessary to get a sense of who is speaking with Lt. Onn. Please let it be a stranger, please let it be a stranger!

Registered
    Apr 2015

Smart answer, Ensign. Nia lets Li keep his distance. She suspects he's telling the truth, but the level of his upset demeanor seems excessive for the circumstances. Maybe he's just overwhelmed by the emergency. He's already had to take custody of Bell, a dirtbag ship's captain; Booker--his own immediate superior; and now Nia herself, the BCDO who was giving the orders just this morning.

And, of course, the impending deaths of thousands and the ship's own dangerous position if they don't get moving in a hurry. Her hand muscles twitch with the immediate instinct to prepare the Helm controls and get the Yorktown outta here.

But it won't be her. And not Kendin either, Nia recalls suddenly. He'll be on the Sarafina. So who'll get the honors? Pourtash, probably. Better than it being fucking Cooper. Pourtash is extremely good, but Nia still feels like screaming. Damn it, she should be at her proper place!

"Okay, Li," she says, calm and cool despite her anger at herself and Vargas and the whole mess that is this disaster. "Mixed messages I'm sure. Sorry if I insulted you, but it's not that uncommon a scheme. Unfortunately. So, I guess we can say goodbye--oh, nope, hang on."

Nia looks back toward the duo again, and catches just a hint of a small, black-haired head visible for a second from the corner of the alcove wall before it darts back into the shelter of the closet. Frickin' Kylah. What in the Northern Hellfields is going on with this girl?

Analyzing that is sure as fuck not Nia's job. Thankfully.

"C'mon, guys." She tilts her head toward Li and herself, then decides this officious-seeming stranger would probably not respond well to the casual address despite the phony 'Denise' bull. "Ma'am. David," she amends. "Can you come over here? Just want a couple of questions."
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 11 Dec 2020 at 06:11 AM.

+ Reply to thread