+ Reply to thread
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,450 of 2466

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #6: "Marala"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

This has escalated quickly, Nathaniel thinks. They are supposedly here to help but were about take this ship by force. Things could never be easy in Starfleet, could they? But he guesses they had no choice given that the Sarafina, for whatever reason, is refusing to respond. But whatever the reason, it probably is only going to make this difficult mission that much harder. Nathaniel doesn't think now is the time to tell Nia his information about the other ship, especially as it probably isn't too helpful right now. So he guesses it is best that he waits and sees if they are about to get into a firefight with this other ship. Not that he hopes anyone would get hurt, but at least then, he'd actually have something to do worthy of his skills.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 16 Mar 2019 at 11:00 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia shakes her head in a combination of disgust and disappointment. Why do they always choose the hard way?

"Time's run out, Captain Bell. And so has my patience. I have the feeling you think I was bluffing. That's not my style--not when thousands of lives are on the line." This in itself is a bluff, being a complete lie. Nia considers bluffing one of her best skills.

Her fingernails have again dug themselves into her chair arms, but at least she can get away with this since these Sarafina bastards can't see her. This time the gesture isn't out of tension, but anger.

"Crew of the Sarafina," Nia snaps with the force of a combat instructor. "You're now under command of the USS Yorktown's Captain--and me, as her acting C.O. I'm sending over a team of officers to make sure everything's secured, and also help you get your ship ready to handle the evacuees."

Nia leans forward again. "Since we need to beam over, you will now lower your shields and prepare to be boarded. Don't even think about giving our boarding party any trouble. You're outmatched in every way."

She glances down at her chair's comm panel, wishing she could see Booker. Does he agree with her tough stance? Should she negotiate more?

But she can't see him, and in the end she has to go with her gut. Which is telling her loudly: Seriously, fuck these guys.

"I'm granting you a minute to acknowledge my order and comply. That extra time isn't for you, Captain. I'm allowing your crew time to convince you not to risk multiple felony charges as well as damage to your defense systems.

"Because make no mistake, Bell: If those shields aren't taken down in sixty seconds, we'll do the job ourselves." She turns her head to Jones, lifting an eyebrow at him. "Lt. Jones, prepare photon torpedoes."

Nia will wait for Jones to respond before ending with a final word. Nothing says "do whatever the hell I say" like hearing that torpedoes aimed at you and ready to fire.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 17 Mar 2019 at 05:28 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Just shy of a minute later, Kylah is hailed by the Sarafina. It is Capt. Bell.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Given the tension on the bridge and the commands being thrown at the Sarafina, Rangin drops his voice as quietly as possible to Lt. Dahlquist.

"No sir, Not a cargo of people. Oxygen." Rangin tries a different tack knowing the difference in lives that could be saved.

"The hold will carry two hundred people in a breathable atmosphere that is only 20% oxygen. If we filled the Sarafina's entire hold with pure oxygen, you could carry enough for a thousand more people on the Yorktown. All we would have to do is stop every so often to transfer fresh oxygen to the Yorktown and let the Sarafina act as our supply ship."

He looks directly to the officer next to him, suddenly realising how they can save everyone. "Sir, pressurise the amount of oxygen in there to 10 or 12 atmospheres and you can carry enough for eight thousand people. Everyone on the colony."

"Sir, we're looking at the wrong cargo. We can do it, can't we?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dahlquist frowns. "Pure oxygen in those quantities could be a major fire hazard over there, and cumulative body heat, CO2 accumulation and scrubbing, sufficiency of food and water, and adequate waste treatment are also important factors in determining our own LS capabilities. But... well, let me run the numbers." His fingers fly across the Engineering console's controls.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia, who's spent the last fifty-three seconds trying to defuse the tension on the Bridge--this is, after all, a relatively low threat situation, even as grave as their mission is--gives a crooked smile.

"Well well. Look who's suddenly interested in a chat. Hold him off for a second, Kylah--his turn to sweat. Jones--I know you'd've told me if anything's changed, but just in case they had a last-second burst of self-preservation, what's the current status of their shields?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Jones says, "Their shield status is unchanged, ma'am - still up and fully charged. I have two photon torpedoes, with warhead yields specifically calibrated to knock down their shields, in the tubes and ready for launch." The young black Security officer grins confidently. "Just say the word, and they're on their way."

Registered
    Jan 2018

There is a small inaudible sigh of relief from Rangin as Lt Dahlquist finally gets it. The conversation with Lt. Onn about Starfleet officers and their fixed viewpoint, comes to mind, although perhaps they are not that fixed in their ways. But this is a real chance to save more people than anyone else thought. Of course, the issues Dahlquist was looking at now were ones that Rangin had already thought about and raised in the conference room.

"Sir, not might be, will be. Oxygen in that quantity will be a major hazard on the Sarafina, which is why I also asked about forcefields for containment as well."

He pushes some of the figures he had been looking at earlier to the console. "As for carrying more people here. Body heat can be countered by lowering the ambient temperature of the ship in certain areas, where people are. Food is not going to be an issue, except for the very young and infirm, everyone else can starve for a week if they absolutely have to, although the Colony is going to have more than enough resources if we need to get more. Water; we have a swimming pool which can hold enough water for everyone for a week, if we can keep it pure enough. As for CO2, we scrub what we can and vent the rest; same goes for waste products. Throw it overboard, so to speak."

Rangin can feel that tingle of excitement running down his spine, the possibility of pulling something off that is supposed to be a miracle by thinking laterally around the problem.

"Well sir...?"

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia lips tighten when Jones confirms the Sarafina's shields are still up. His comments about the Yorktown's weaponry changes her expression to amusement. She likes a guy who's that proud of his specialty. She feels the same, although don't ask her to choose piloting vs. tinkering with engines.

"Music to my ears, Mr. Jones. Be ready--if this needs to happen, we're gonna work fast to make sure we catch these--" She censors herself. "--these people flat-footed." Nia leans closer to the comm on her chair.

"Chief Harrison, Lt. Graham and our boarding party: once we get those shields down I want you in there almost immediately. We'll make sure there's no structural damage to the ship first, obviously, but otherwise, let's execute this as smoothly and quickly as possible. Chief, wait for my 'go.'"

Nia straightens and faces the Communications officer. "All right, Ensign Kylah. Put 'em through. With video, if they allow it," she adds dryly.

Kylah nods and accepts the hail. "Captain Bell to Lt. Onn," she murmurs with a wide-eyed look at Nia.

Folding her arms across her chest, Nia turns to the screen.

"Mr. Bell. You like to push your luck, don't you?" Her tone hardens. "I've warned you, sir. Our crew, my captain, the might of the Yorktown--hell, the entirety of Starfleet regs are backing me up. But still your shields aren't down. I want to know why."
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 20 Mar 2019 at 11:26 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Understood, ma'am," Jones says, his grin broadening. "Standing by."

Bell appears on the Bridge's main viewscreen, looking slightly scruffier than before, but definitely angrier. "Mr. Onn," he says, "I don't appreciate all these threats and harassment. I'm just trying to go about my business and I really don't want to be badgered by Starfleet. I've got business obligations and a route to keep that doesn't include a return to Novy Rostov, regardless of any so-called 'emergency.'"

Dahlquist says quietly to Rangin, "This has some potential, Mr. Rangin. Let me run it by the Engineering planning group belowdecks and see what they say." He begins pulling the data together and preparing a message to his colleagues.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Why in the world did these people insist on making this thing so difficult. And what damn mission could he be on that he'd ignore a Starfleet ship bearing down on him?

Yet, Nathaniel barely hears the voice of the man that has appeared on the viewscreen in response (finally) to Nia. His attention is distracted by the task at hand (not that the ship they are pursuing can really provide them any supplies for this mission, they didn't even have a doctor for Christ's sake) as he sees Joe sitting at his station. Nathaniel is unable to believe Joe hadn't noticed him before or that Joe hadn't even tried to get Nathaniel's attention with a simple 'hi'. There was a time all Joe wanted was Nathaniel's attention.

Nathaniel would be lying if he couldn't admit he has thought about Joe a lot since seeing him the other night. It brought back a lot of memories.... so does see him sitting so close, looking as good as he does. And yes, Joesph Bancroft was one of the most handsome men Nathaniel had ever known. And Joe doesn't know it, or more likely, doesn't care. And that makes him even more good looking.

Nathaniel knows this isn't the time or the place, he certainly couldn't wander over and chat Joe up. But Nathaniel fixes him with a look, hoping to take Joesph's attention to what he is doing. Nathaniel wants a nod in his direction. That winning, seductive smile. Anything.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham takes his place along with the others on the transporter pad.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Breathe. In, out. Nia reins in her temper, lets it work for her rather than control her. "Your persistence in ignoring our urgent hails is what brought us to this point, Mr. Bell.

"My apologies for disrupting your commercial activities," she adds dryly. "But a planet that's about to have its population extinguished is a higher priority."

She steps closer, not far from the backs of her usual seat at the Helm. "Speaking of that population, Bell: have you forgotten your own crew member? The one still on that planet? You're really gonna let him get fried by a radiation storm? I wonder if the rest of your crew knows they'd be left to die if it's fiscally inconvenient to you."

Nia shakes her head. "This is wasting time. Federation law is unequivocal under these circumstances. Your ship's a vital and necessary resource in an emergency situation, and we must commandeer it to save hundreds of lives.

"The only choice for you is whether you cede to my orders and assist our officers, or force us to come in without your cooperation. We'd prefer friendly assistance, and so should you. If you commit the felony of refusing to act as ordered, I won't think twice about taking you--and anyone else in your crew who interferes with this imperative mission--into custody."

Nia flicks a glance at Mr. Jones, raising an eyebrow to give him the heads up. Then she returns to this irresponsible, greedy joke of a ship master in front of her.

"Now, Captain Bell," she says implacably. "One last time. Take. Down. Your Shields."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Bell looks even more irritated. "Just a damn minute. I need to know, what about my cargo? What about my timetable? The owners of this ship aren't going to be happy if I just turn around. My holds are full of Telperion hardwoods. That's expensive stuff, almost a million Federation credits' worth. I have to get it to Morra III."

Registered
    Apr 2015

"What about your cargo? Some fancy wood?" Nia would laugh if the situation weren't so bleak. "You'll dump it, that's what you'll do. We're all making sacrifices."

She inhales again, letting her brain race through the procedures she's learned by heart years ago. "...But you won't be required to lose everything. Starfleet'll evaluate the cargo listed on your manifest and give you fair-market value as compensation. The process works fast, so I've heard. If you have a problem with the offer, you can appeal."

She cocks her head in thought. "Hell, if you cooperate fully, we can place a marker buoy or a homing beacon on the load once it's dumped, so you might be able to find it on the way back from--"

Nia interrupts herself with a grunt of annoyance, furious that she's been caught up brainstorming a ridiculously unimportant problem, She leans forward, her hands landing on the edge of the panel in between Leventhal and Cecilia Bennett, arms stiff and her neck muscles tight.

"Goddamnit, Bell! Eight-thousand people would love to have as many options as you do. Now we are done talking about a pile of overpriced lumber. No more arguments, no more questions. Make your decision!"

She calms down a level, keeps her voice frozen. "Remember, we're using the Sarafina either way. Will you cooperate, or do you want this to end with you in our Brig?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 22 Mar 2019 at 12:30 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Still and quiet at her station, Kylah watches Lt. Onn and Captain Bell--but mostly Lt. Onn. The older woman reminds her a little bit of her mother and cousin. And her sister. Really, most well-born women on Elas. Strong, adamant, single-minded, and somewhat calculating if necessary to achieve their purpose.

I used to be like that, she thinks wistfully. At least a little. How did I change so much since I came onboard?

Noticing a hushed conversation between Lt. Dahlquist and Velir, Kylah takes a quick little glance at them. Does Velir know how strong his emotions are broadcasting? So excited, energized, even... proud. Why?

What are you planning? she wonders, wishing she could just ask him outright. But their conversation needs to be quiet. Lt. Onn said she did not want the other ship to hear anyone but herself. Perhaps Captain Bell made the same order.

But maybe... maybe he didn't.

Kylah pushes her earpiece closer and, with one hand, taps the commands to strengthen the subspace connection in hopes of picking up any crew discussion or private comments from the Sarafina.

Meanwhile she stares into the human male's intense, angry eyes. She has been able to sense emotions from ships farther away from the Yorktown than this ship is now. As a child on Elas, with weaker powers than she has now, she could sense her parents just before their Yacht--

Kylah shudders and quickly wipes the memory away. With renewed effort she pushes her mind outward, doing her best to focus on Captain Bell.
    Last edited by choie; 22 Mar 2019 at 12:54 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Bell shakes his head. "That's easy for you to say, lady. I dump it, and hard vacuum is going to ruin it in no time at all. And the Federation is sure to low-ball my compensation, if I get any at all. To hell with that." He scoffs. "I know how that works, and I'm not going to let you boss me around and threaten me. You're 'way out of line."

Kylah can hear only the faintest echo of other background voices on the Sarafina's bridge, but too quiet, even with computerized audio enhancement, to understand.

Her psi sense suggests that Bell is much as he appears: angry, irritated and stubborn, with an underlying, deep greed.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin can breathe a sigh of relief as it appears that Lt. Dahlquist has finally understood what he is trying to explain.

"Sir, when you receive any kind of answer from Engineering, let me know the details. I'm running some simulations on the best kind of numbers we can fit based on the people in the colony. Would be good to update them with some more positive values."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia sighs as Bell's words turn into mental static. Okay, so we're doing this.

"And that's strike three. Well, you can't say I didn't try." She shakes her head ruefully. "Our conversation's over. Ensign Kylah, get his face off our screen."

Once Kylah cuts the connection, Nia steps back so she's closer to the captain's chair, snapping out as quickly as she can:

"Kylah, please note the following for the record: In response to a planetwide emergency that puts the Novy Rostov population at risk, the USS Yorktown has commandeered the merchant vessel Sarafina, following the law and procedures permitted by both the Federation and Starfleet. Despite multiple requests, the captain of the Sarafina refuses to allow us to board, defying our orders. Since they're failing to comply, the Yorktown is acting accordingly."

Inhaling deeply--she rushed all that out in only a couple of shallow breaths--Nia turns back to the viewscreen and the now-familiar sight of the Sarafina.

"Right. Formalities are over. Mr. Jones, take down those shields. Chief Harrison, on my mark."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 22 Mar 2019 at 11:43 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Bell disappears from the viewscreen mid-glower.

Bancroft notices Nathaniel's gaze, meets it and smiles.

"Acknowledged, Lieutenant," replies Chief Harrison from Transporter Room 1. To Graham and the others on the platform he says, "Stand by, please, everyone."

"Aye, ma'am," Jones says, his hands carefully moving over his board. "Safeties off. Torpedoes armed. Target locked... firing now." The two photon torpedoes race from the Yorktown's forward tubes, in seconds covering the short distance to the Sarafina. They smack into the merchant ship's aft shields with a brilliant, simultaneous pair of flashes. "Scanning now... aaand their shields are down."

"Confirmed," agrees Bancroft, having turned back to his Science board. "Given the pattern disruption, sensors indicate it will be at least two minutes before they can be raised again, Mr. Onn." He looks at another display. "And they're dropping out of warp... no other sign of damage, though."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 23 Mar 2019 at 10:34 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

"Thanks, gentlemen." Nia nods, satisfied and showing a cool demeanor that hides her rising anxiety. "First, let's not plow through their ship." Much as I'd like to. "Leventhal, cut speed till we've halved the distance between us, then match them."

She sits down and aims her words at her chair's comm unit. "Boarding party, one last reminder. If they so much as move a muscle in an unfriendly way, stun them. We don't need them either vertical or conscious." After a second she adds, "See you on the other side."

Her hands grip the edges of her armrests, mostly to keep them from trembling. Once the party's beamed out, she's effectively helpless. Nia can't help envisioning Booker getting hit in the leg during the Klingon fight, memories that are neither useful nor productive. You'll be back, she promises him--or prays to him. Just stay alive.

"Chief Harrison." Nia's gaze doesn't move from the Sarafina. "Energize."
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 23 Mar 2019 at 01:34 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Leventhal says, "We've already overshot them, ma'am. Looks like --" he checks his instruments, "-- yes, they've stopped entirely. Coming about now." He takes the heavy cruiser out of warp and skillfully turns her about, in just half a minute bringing her to face the Sarafina's bow from ten kilometers away - a few degrees to starboard so that, if the merchant ship moves again, she will not collide with the Yorktown.

"Energizing," Chief Harrison says over the open channel to the Bridge, and the Yorktown's boarding party disappears at once into the shimmering transporter effect.

Graham and his fellow redshirts materialize in a small, dimly-lit chamber. You could each practically touch the nearest bulkhead. There is no one else there. Graham first notices that the deck feels slightly grimy underfoot, and then catches a whiff of a faint but unpleasant smell. St. Croix, phaser in hand, wrinkles her nose and says "Phew!" The ship is none too clean, from what you can already see.

Accessing the Sarafina's deck plans on tricorders, the boarding party quickly orients itself. You are in a maintenance junction on A Deck. Two corridors, also dimly-lit, lead away from the compartment in opposite directions, each with several doors along the way. The Bridge is forward of your current position, and Engineering directly aft, both on this deck, each about 50 meters away. There are two decks below this one - living quarters, crew spaces and machinery, mostly, on B Deck, and then storage space and access to the eight large cargo holds, four on each side, on C Deck.

On the Yorktown's Bridge, Kylah has an incoming subspace call from a Dr. Denise Cobb of the Novy Rostov Memorial Hospital. The call is meant for Dr. Bennett.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 24 Mar 2019 at 09:57 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah quickly redirects the incoming request. "Doctor," she says quietly to give Dr. Bennett a heads-up. "Dr. Cobb from the Novy Rostov hospital for you."

She watches the viewscreen while the Yorktown maneuvers itself to face down the smaller ship--like a bully threatening the scrawniest child in a schoolroom. Except this time, the child is selfish and greedy. Please let Lt. Graham be all right. All of them, she corrects mentally, but there is no denying her concerns are greatest for Lt. Graham.

Rubbing her sore eyes, still puffy from all the crying yesterday, Kylah suddenly looks up when a thought occurs to her. Does this doctor's contacting Dr. Bennett mean that they all know about the disaster that lies ahead of them? Should Kylah contact Aldaan's... friend? Perhaps they can think together of a plan.

Would such a contact anger him? I am not defying his command, if I do not ask her whether she told my uncle about the situation... am I?

She turns to her panel and again, hidden from view, opens her communicator in her lap to read her uncle's message again. It, of course, has not changed.

What should I do? What can I do? she thinks in misery. I do not solve problems, I cause them.

In her anxiety, Kylah unconsciously turns to Velir. He would find a way out. Judging by the hushed conversation between him and Lt. Dahlquist--though she cannot hear it--they seem to be hatching some sort of plan even now.

Velir's plan, no doubt. Kylah does not mean to idealize him; yes, he is stubborn and judgmental, and--despite his slowness to anger--can turn cold and shockingly cruel when provoked. Or when misunderstanding others.

Still, in all the time she has known him, Velir Rangin has also proven himself to be intelligent, analytical, practical, quick-thinking and inventive when it comes to problem-solving. Especially when it involves helping others in need.

Kylah's gaze fixes on the 3/4 view she has of his profile. I would go to you in a heartbeat, Velir, if I dared.

But she does not dare. How could she possibly explain her dilemma? She cannot imagine his approving of an attempt to get one wealthy, highly influential person to safety, ahead of all the others who deserve to be saved just as much. It would be antithetical to him.

But... but what if he did not know? What if Kylah described the woman as a friend of the family, as Uncle Aldaan called her? As long as Velir did not ask how she learned about this Mrs. Soeryadjaya, she would no be disobeying Aldaan. Or would I?

It would be breaking faith with Velir. Something she has done too often. But this is life or death--both Ruth Soeryadjaya's and, if Kylah has read Aldaan's implied threat, Kylah's own.

She closes her eyes and imagines Velir reacting to yet another lie. But how would he find out? One possible answer: his new, strange psionic ability. She is not certain just what he can do, but if his skills are anything like hers, he might be able to catch her in a lie.

Then again, maybe not. Kylah has lied to so many people, both outright and through omissions, she could probably fool Velir. She would hate herself, but she could do it.

And she may have to.
    Last edited by choie; 24 Mar 2019 at 03:42 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah sees there are two more incoming subspace calls from Novy Rostov - from a Patricia Collins, and a Walter Harris. She does not recognize either name.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 24 Mar 2019 at 10:05 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham nods appreciatively at the tricorder readings indicating the bridge and engine room are on the same deck. "Right on Broadway," he says.

Graham uses his communicator. "Boarding party to Yorktown, we are aboard."

He gestures in the direction of the bridge. "St. Croix, you're with me, first order of business seize the bridge. Russell, de la Paz - you follow behind us, clearing these rooms. Mahmoud, Three Crows - hold here. Nobody sneaks up behind us and keep us honest on life signs. Once we have the bridge, you head for the engine room with Russell and de la Paz clearing the rooms behind you. Any questions?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 26 Mar 2019 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Edited at g_u's request

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin heads back to his science console to see how his simulations are running. Looking through the setup they seem fine, although he looks forward to being able to tweak the numbers with anything new Engineering can come up with. And with the Sarafina there, he hopes Graham and his team can take the ship safely without damaging the cargo bays at all.

But somehow, it's like he is missing something, though he can't quite place it. A feeling of discomfort that, just perhaps, some people should be rescued as they more important than others. He had said earlier how he would categorise people and every life should be considered although whether they should be considered equally is a matter of opinion, from child to adult to even the one left behind from the Sarafina, another person that would have to be saved.

Only they were not a member of the colony and Rangin wonders for a moment if his figures are accurate if extra people are missing from them. It wouldn't be beyond some people in the Colony to not mention any visitors if it meant that others might be saved. If there are, they could be out of luck of any random draw that would occur, which could hardly be considered fair. But who would know or even could find out?

Looking around, he can see Kylah looking at him, while beyond her, the console lights up and he wonders what communications she is dealing with. But still, she might be able to help out with any flight plans logged for the Colony, after all she looks like she wants to speak to him anyway.

Rangin heads across to see if she is free.

Registered
    Mar 2012

When Kylah sees the name Patricia Collins, of course the first thing that leaps to her mind is Collins? As in Lt. Collins?

Immediately following that is the understanding that any connection between the two is extraordinarily unlikely. She even remembers a Collins or two at the Academy, who could not be related to Jeremi Collins either.

Still, if for no other reason than to remember her former roommate, Kylah chooses to speak to Patricia Collins first.

"Hail received, Novy Rostov," she says hesitantly. "This is the Yorktown."

Registered
    Sep 2009

No one in the Yorktown's boarding party has any questions. They all appear to be ready to move. Russell, looking at the lifesigns indicator on his Security tricorder, says, "No one's moved significantly since the ship's earlier scan, sir. There are still four people on the Bridge, three aft in Engineering, and one in what appear to be personal quarters, a deck down."

Dahlquist is looking over projections and simulations shared with him by the Chief Engineer's working group belowdecks.

A serious-looking, middle-aged black woman in miner's garb appears on one of Kylah's small Communications console display screens. "Yorktown, hello, this is Lt. Patricia Camden, Starfleet Security, serial number SS224-8723MLL. My cover name on NR is Patricia Collins. I've been undercover here for almost three months, looking for a fugitive, Paul Hutchinson, a Starfleet officer who poisoned his wife and son - allegedly - and disappeared from Starbase 9 about two years ago. I was following up on a solid lead which placed him here after a full identity swap. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find him." She clears her throat. "I've heard rumors that the colony is now under threat and is about to be evacuated. I request immediate evac myself, and I'll help you screen any other evacuees to find Hutchinson."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Eyes wide open, Kylah listens with growing concern to the rush of details with which Lt. Camden is flooding her ear. She shakes her head no in disbelief and dread. Her hand quickly taps at her datapad to enter the serial number and the name of this fugitive for when she has time to research.

She is also aware of a presence near her, and she turns around, shock still evident on her face, to find Velir. Again she shakes her head, this time at her crewmate, if only to communicate that she is dealing with something unexpected.

Which makes nearly a half-dozen such surprises today alone.

"A murderer," she says shakily. "Ms.--Lt. Camden, of course I wish to help, but I--" Kylah twists around to look at Lt. Onn before returning to Velir, then her screen. "We cannot evacuate anyone immediately. We have left orbit, temporarily, to gain assistance. But even if we were able, I am not the one to..."

Kylah swallows. She did not anticipate dealing with such a plea, and is not prepared. "I--I will speak to my current command officer, but..." Again she lifts her gaze to Velir. She cannot help herself, he grounds her. In fact, he seems to be reflecting her own feelings back at her--through his own lens of rational, considered logic.

The answer flashes to her mind. She places her clammy palms on her knees and breathes more naturally. Without a word, Velir has helped her.

"...But what I recommend," Kylah says directly to Lt. Camden, "is to speak with our First Officer, Cmdr. Vargas. He is our Chief of Security, and he is on the planet now. May I contact him and connect you?"

Even as she speaks she lifts her now-dried hands and types in Paul Hutchinson Starfleet murder family into the news database.
    Last edited by choie; 26 Mar 2019 at 06:44 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Yes, please, Ensign," Camden says. "I didn't realize you'd broken orbit, and the NR comm system didn't point that out when I placed this call. And what is your name, please?"

The Federation News Service, Solar Post and other media sources have several stories on the Hutchinson murders which confirm what Camden said. Hutchinson fled Starbase 9, where he was an Engineering officer, just hours after the poisoning deaths of his family. Starfleet Security investigators were unable to turn up any other suspects. Hutchinson's possible motive, and his source for the poison, were not disclosed publicly. A Federation warrant is still pending for his arrest on two counts of murder and one count of obstruction of justice.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Distracted by what she reads onscreen, Kylah takes a second longer to respond. "Yes--yes, forgive me, I should have identified myself. I am Ensign Kylah. I will contact Cmdr. Vargas immediately."

She starts to access the First Officer's communicator, but hesitates before completing the connection. "But--ma'am--do you believe Mr. Hutchinson has been on the colony all this time? Since he fled two years ago? If you send us an image, we might be able to help locate him."

While speaking, she glances up at Velir and points at the news item on her screen, a little waving gesture beckoning him closer.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin looks down at the screen with the story on it and pieces it together with the one-sided conversation he can hear Kylah having. His eyes widen in wonder as it certainly answers the question he is wondering about, just not in the way he expects. As he hears Kylah mention contacting Vargas, he nods intently in agreement with the course of action regardless of who is at the other end of the connection.

He waits patiently as she handles the call, perhaps not surprised she is flustered given the surprise that is in front of her, but impressed to see her recover quickly. Of course, this just hastens the requirement to find out just who is in the colony that would not be expected.

So many permutations and possiblities of people who could be there, but in reality it boils down to two sets of people: those who should be taken regardless and those who will be forced to go through some sort of choice. Of course, who gets to be in the first batch is a choice he would dread to make. But there is little he can do until she has finished.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Camden reaches offscreen and taps at her communicator's controls. "All right. I've uploaded the last picture we have of him, which is from his Starfleet personnel file. It's likely he looks much different now, probably unrecognizably so. The best information I have is that Hutchinson has been here just a year or so, maybe less."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham gives the team a thumbs-up and starts down the hallway, phaser drawn, toward the ship's bridge.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 27 Mar 2019 at 11:44 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah thanks Lt. Camden and hurriedly directs her to Cmdr. Vargas's communicator, introducing her beforehand: "Excuse me sir, a Starfleet Security officer needs to speak with you about an urgent matter."

While she speaks, she looks at the image of Pete Hutchinson, trying to imagine if she has seen him. It seems highly unlikely he was at the party, unless he had an insane level of hubris. He could not have been mad enough to attend a gathering with Starfleet officers, she thinks dubiously.

"Velir," she says in a hush, too distracted to refer to him formally, "perhaps you can see if his DNA is on file. Is it possible to scan for a match? Although if it were, surely Lt. Camden would have done so..."

She frowns. It does seem odd that an expert Security officer would not be able to locate someone through such a unique identifier.

But she knows little about this area of science--and besides, she realizes she is ignoring the other hail from Novy Rostov, from Walter Harris. Almost afraid to accept it, she nevertheless does her duty, this time ending with: "...Ensign Kylah speaking. "
    Last edited by choie; 27 Mar 2019 at 09:00 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

St. Croix follows Graham down the corridor. Russell and de la Paz are also close behind until they begin opening the doors off the corridor, one by one, finding nobody and confirming the results of the earlier lifesigns scans. Graham and St. Croix keep moving towards the bow; she has her own tricorder out and is scanning as she goes, a phaser in her other hand.

Vargas seems a little surprised but says, "Thank you, Ensign." He closes the channel so that he and Camden are speaking directly to each other without Kylah remaining in the loop.

Rangin does not have high-enough security clearance to access Starfleet's well-protected personnel DNA database. As he recalls, either the Captain, the Chief of Security (who of course on this ship also happens to be the First Officer) or the Chief Medical Officer could authorize such an inquiry.

Camden is replaced on Kylah's display screen by a stout, older, well-dressed man with a thick but neatly-trimmed beard. "Hello? Hello? This is Walter Harris. I've reached the Yorktown, then? Good. I hear there's big trouble about to break, and I want to get off this damned rock toot sweet. Can you help me, miss?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 28 Mar 2019 at 09:18 AM.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel takes a moment to enjoy getting Joe's attention but that is quickly averted by the call he was getting from Dr. Cobb. He wonders what this is all about.

"Dr. Cobb," he says. "This Dr. Nathaniel Bennett. I hope this is important. We're in the middle of something here."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah's gaze is dragged from the image of Paul Hutchinson to Mr. Harris. His request makes her cringe, hands clammy once more. "I am sorry, sir, I am not able to help... Your governor and the council, as well as our captain and--and advisors--are currently--"

She does not know how to finish. Currently what? Currently deciding who lives or dies?

"They are currently organizing evacuation plans." Kylah does her best to keep the misery from her expression. "And we--the Yorktown--are obtaining additional resources now to prepare. I am sure you will... you will be informed very shortly. I know it is hard to wait..."

She looks helplessly up at Velir for an instant. These are just two among thousands. Is she to be inundated with completely justified fearful pleas for help? Only to tell them no, your fate is to be decided elsewhere?

Returning to Mr. Harris, Kylah can only shake her head. "I am sorry, sir," she finishes exactly as she began... and exactly as useless.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Dr. Bennett," Dr. Cobb says, "I'm sorry to interrupt. I just wanted to let you know that we've completed the quarantine room for Mrs. Kostoyev. You can beam her down whenever you like."

Harris says easily, "Well, maybe we can work something out. It's very important to me to leave NR. Very important. You understand? I'm sure you can help me out if you put your mind to it. You seem like a smart young officer. Is there maybe... a charity you care about that I might donate to? I'm a generous man, and anything you can do to get me offworld would be much appreciated."

Registered
    Jan 2018

"I don't have access Kylah, we would have to ask", Rangin replies quietly, although the whole matter seems strange. A mining colony in a remote part of a remote system does not get many visitors beyond any of the contract miners, who are only in it for the money. Eight thousand people is not a lot and over six months he is surprised she has not been able to eyeball every one on the planet.

He may not have access to the any DNA, but there are records of the colony, and if people want to leave they are going to have to have details on every last one. Especially if not everyone is going to be able to leave. But then, given Rangin's experience with people running for other planets away from the Orion Syndicate it is very possible this person would look completely different. The only giveaway would be that they had arrived in the last two years. He really did need access to an up-to-date set of the Colony records.

Then he can see and hear Kylah stumbling over the next conversation she is having. He gestures to her to cover the mouthpeace of her comms device and then speaks quietly, once she has done so. "Tell them that they should refer their request to the Governor who will be able to provide any answers concerning their current situation. Thanks them for their understanding and then cut the call as you have another to answer."

He nods at her to continue the conversation while he steps back to let her finish.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 30 Mar 2019 at 12:01 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

The voices of Mr. Harris and Velir vie for Kylah's attention. She manages to comprehend both--barely.

However, as tired, afraid, sympathetic, and sad as she is, she cannot--at first--understand the human's offer.

"Charity? No, that is kind, but my family more than adequately assists various..." Kylah's words slow down until at last her brain catches up.

She sits up straighter. Attempting to bribe her? He is afraid, she reminds herself quickly before her indignation takes over. His life is in danger, he would probably try anything possible. Most people would.

"No, sir. I truly cannot help you," Kylah murmurs. "I will play no role in organizing the evacuation process. Please speak to your local government official. Or the governor himself. Now I must answer more hails. But--" Her voice softens further but rushes out "I do wish you luck" before she cuts the connection.

Guilt flows through her as she looks at her screen, the black panel reflecting both her and Velir, standing just behind her chair. "This is so awful. Everything. What if more people seek help from us? They will, of course. Why would they not? I wish I..."

I wish I were not on duty. Hiding in my quarters. But Velir will despise her if she admits to being such a coward. So she just shakes her head. "It is too cruel to keep crushing hopes like this."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Just before she cuts him off, Harris tries to put in urgently, "Wait, please, just wait a...."

Kylah now sees four more incoming subspace calls on her board from NR.

Registered
    May 2013

When Graham reaches the door to the Serafina's bridge he takes a position on the left side of the doorway and gestures for St.Croix to do the same on the right. He points for Russel and de la Paz to take kneeling positions about three meters behind, just inside of their respective positions along the wall.

Weapon ready, he puts up three fingers and counts down to a closed fist before using that hand to trigger the door control.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Graham's three supporting redshirts take their positions, as directed. The door does not open, however; it is apparently locked.

On the Yorktown's Bridge, Jones tells Onn, "The Sarafina's shields are going up again, ma'am."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 31 Mar 2019 at 08:18 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham shakes his head. Fucking idiots.

"St. Croix, take a scan and see if can override," he says gesturing toward the door with his phaser. He shrugs. "Plan B is this."

He opens his communicator with his other hand. "Graham to Yorktown, can you get me an open channel to Serafina's bridge? She's locked us out."

Registered
    Sep 2009

St. Croix scans the door lock. "Give me a sec, sir." She puts her phaser on her belt and begins working on the door panel controls.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel realizes he’d forgotten all about Mrs. Kostoyev with everything that is happening. He certainly can’t send her down now, the entire region might not even exist soon enough. Now Nathaniel wonders what he is going to do. She needs to be in quarantine, not just for her own sake, but the sake of those on the ship. The last thing he needs right now is an epidemic. This ship is not the best place for her, for anyone. But what else could he do?

But he is also concerned about the call itself. It simply didn’t make sense. Didn’t Dr. Cobb know about the threat facing the colony? And if she didn’t she sure as hell should. No one deserved to be kept in the dark about their own life.

Nathaniel didn’t want to set off a panic though. But he needs to find out what Dr. Cobb knows or didn’t know. Nathaniel is the first to admit that subtlety is not one of is strong suits. But he supposes there’s always a first time.

“I appreciate the heads up, Dr. Cobb.” Nathaniel replies. “But are you sure now is the best time to do this?”

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Novy Rostov healer seems puzzled. "What do you mean? I'm sorry it took so long to get her room ready, but you know, we don't often have such cases. But if it's not convenient for you right now, that's OK. Just let us know when you're ready. We'll hold the room for her."

Registered
    Apr 2015

First one hail, then another, now yet another for Bennett and--what the hell, here come three more--is that four?

Patience done, Nia snaps out an arch, "Holy Seht'dar's Balls, maybe we could have a little more chaos here?!" She spins around to her so-called Communications Officer. "Ensign Kylah, do you need assistance handling your station?"

The young woman looks predictably ashamed, and starts to say something in explanation but for once discretion wins out. One hand does something to the panel and the hails are silenced.

Nia's about to thank her, a little less peevish, when Jones's words come out much clearer thanks to the reduced noise. At once she swivels back sharply to stare at the viewscreen--stupid, what is looking at it gonna help?--and naturally, that's when she hears Booker's voice.

Shit. "Kylah. Text message to him, from me: Text-only comm between us for now. Their shields are back up." She licks her dry lips, still uselessly searching the Sarafina as if hoping to see through its hull to find Booker. "We can't beam you out. Do you still want an open channel? Advise. EOM. Send it, Ensign."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Mortified, Kylah just follows orders and lets her fingers fly across the pad on her panel. When Lt. Onn finishes, Kylah hits the command and does not dare look up at the other woman. "Done, ma'am."

She can feel Lt. Onn's tension radiating outward, a little electric buzz starting to roam through her own body as a result. Afraid to break the silence, Kylah flicks a curious glance at Velir--can he feel this too, or does his new ability require direct tactile contact?--but, not wanting to be caught by Lt. Onn, she does not allow her gaze to rest on his face. As much as she wishes it to.

Instead she rubs her arms to stretch out some of her instinctively recoiling muscles, then carefully determines each hail's sender and desired recipient--if anyone is specifically named.

+ Reply to thread