+ Reply to thread
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #6: "Marala"

Registered
    Jan 2018

Slowly Rangin's eyes begin to focus and the rest of Sickbay comes into sharp relief with a single figure still next to him, holding his hand closely. He feels surprised to see her for some reason he cannot yet fathom. But he feels glad that she is here and for some reason letting go of her hand would seem like the wrong thing to do.

He tries to remember back to what happened, the skydiving which went wrong, but the memories are hazy for some reason and he cannot pull together his actions. He hopes they will return later.

He then realises she has been speaking to him and seems to earnestly be waiting for his response. At this point in time, he is just glad that someone else is here and he opens his mouth to tell her so. Unfortunately, the words come out mumbled as he realises his jaw has not been active for a while and is not in best working condition. He exercises it a little and then tries again, although to what effect, he is not sure.

"Hello Kylah. Thank you."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah has barely turned to the nurse when she hears a rasp of air--Velir's attempt at speech. She darts her gaze back to him, searching his dark blue eyes for meaning.

A sudden flash of fear strikes her. What if the lack of oxygen caused permanent damage? She has received no useful information from Dr. Bennett, who seems only to communicate in insults or brusque condescension.

Then he recognizes her, says her name. Thanks her.

"But I did nothing," she blurts, so happy to hear him speak that honesty tumbles from her lips. "Nothing except cry and make an enemy of the new doctor. Velir, I--"

The nurse's presence halts her speech, and also makes Kylah conscious that she is holding Velir's hand very close to her bosom. She steps an inch backwards, flushing, and changes position so that her hands and his are resting on the bed.

"I was...I was just about to inform the doctor," she stammers to Nurse Mills. "But I was afraid--"

Kylah realizes she cannot explain that she feared losing physical contact of Velir, possibly mental contact as well. He might have floated away, disappeared into nothingness, to a place she could not follow.

"I was afraid Dr. Bennett would think me presumptuous, telling him about 'his' patient," she finishes, which is true enough. Then she focuses on Velir again. She is very aware of the warmth of his hand, captured within her own. Is this presumptuous? When he was last conscious, they were almost enemies. For her, ages seem to have passed since they argued after Collins's goodbye party. For him... it must seem like mere seconds.

She reluctantly loosens her grip. "Many people worked to save your life," she says quietly, trying to rein in her feelings and return to a more professional demeanor. "And many worried for you. Captain Singh will be happy to hear you have awoken."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nurse Mills comes over to Rangin's bedside and efficiently but gently checks his eyes, ears and neck, and then runs a small pocket scanner over him. "I'll be right back," she says. "I'd better let the doctor know what's happened." She leaves the room.

Dr. Bennett soon gets a call from the nurse, fully advising him what's happened.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham takes his leave of Serowe and mumbles "fingers crossed" has leaves Engineering.

If not otherwise interrupted, he intends to check the Security logs for any updates from the staff on patrol and then look up what department-wide training exercises have been conducted on- and off- the ship lately. In tandem with a morale event we should top up our skills, stay frosty....

Registered
    Apr 2015

Though Nia’s about to ask Tsu for the name of her friend on the Rangoon, the sudden command from Singh snatches her focus and makes her lift her eyebrows. She instinctively rises from her chair with an automatic, "Aye aye, Captain."

She glances down at Tsu. "You've got the helm, okay? Just till my relief gets here." After a couple of strides she's seated comfortably in the Captain's chair--having taken the brief time to decide which of her fellow helm officers should get the nod.

Now she taps the blue comm panel on the armrest. "Onn to Pourtash. Please head up to the Bridge to stand watch, if you're not otherwise occupied."

It'll be nice to see Faraz again; they aren't usually on the Bridge at the same time, not surprisingly. And hey, isn't he Trig's roommate? Nia hasn't forgotten how weirdly taciturn Mikhail Trigorin was when she saw him last night in Engineering. Maybe Pourtash'll know what's up with the usually friendly guy.

Once she gets a response (hopefully a positive one) from Pourtash, she'll ask her fellow Bridge officers for a round of general status reports and, more specifically, ask what projects each is working on. Getting the crew chatty should help wake things up a bit.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 09 Apr 2018 at 12:00 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Security logs show a variety of abandon ship, hostage rescue, forced entry and intruder countermeasures drills over the past month; Graham has been involved in some but not all of them. There have been no off-ship drills in that time.

Singh and Vargas leave the Bridge. Tsu replies to Onn, "Sure, no problem," and taps a few keys on her Navigation console to slave the Helm controls into it.

Lt. JG Faraz Pourtash says from belowdecks, "On my way."

Onn hears briefly from Lt. JG Ernesto Garcia at the Communications station ("All quiet, ma'am"), Ens. Sasok at Engineering ("All ship's systems are functioning within normal parameters, Lieutenant"), Lt. JG Tadeusz Kawecki at Security ("Nothing to report, ma'am"), Ens. Emebet Woizera at Environmental Systems ("All's well, ma'am, although nitrogen levels are slightly elevated on Deck 17 starboard. Nothing dangerous, but I have a team looking into it"), and Lt. Gennadi Antonov at Science I ("Nothing to report, Mr. Onn; sensors show nothing within a parsec"). No one is working on a project at the moment except for Antonov, who is researching sensor designs among three new warp-capable civilizations recently contacted by the Federation: the Drellim, the u'gaszi and the Gredonians. Woizera adds that she's been writing a short story for a Lyceum workshop.

The Bridge turbolift doors whoosh open. Pourtash arrives, nods at Onn and heads for the Helm chair.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia listens to everyone, meeting their gaze when possible. She asks Woizera to keep her informed of any new results of the investigation into the nitrogen problem; makes a private note to look up the three newly contacted civilizations--or to ask Antonov about them later if he takes a break; and thanks everyone else for the reports.

To her fellow helm officer, she sends a smile and a nod. They don't usually get to serve on the Bridge together, not surprisingly.

"Good to see you, Pourtash. And Tsu--thanks for watching over the helm." No need to formally tell Tsu she's relieved of that responsibility; the younger woman knows what to do.

Finally, she swivels her chair slightly to return her attention to Woizera. "Hope you didn't think I was gonna ignore your artistic endeavors, Ensign," Nia says with an affable grin. "What sort of things do you write, if you don't mind my asking? Don't worry, I won't nag you to read to us."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pourtash says, "Thank you, ma'am." He seems happy. He begins looking over his board and orienting himself.

Tsu replies, "Not a problem, Lieutenant."

The Ethiopian woman says, a little shyly, "This is only my third story, but I write, oh, I don't know, just stuff. I guess you could say it's autobiographical, kind of. Loosely autobiographical but... fictionalized." She shrugs. "It's not very good, but I think it's getting better, thanks to the feedback the others in the group have been giving me. At least, I hope it is."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 10 Apr 2018 at 11:23 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin slowly loosens his grip on Kylah's hand, not really wanting to let go as it keeps him grounded in the here and now, but then suffers to be checked over by the nurse.

Once she is finished he turns his head back to Kylah to look at her again. "I'm thanking you because, for whatever reason it may be, you are here." Still finding things a little disoriented, he focuses on on the one thing he can still look at clearly.

"I don't remember that much at the moment. I remember the start of the descent and then it all goes a little hazy and I'm not sure why I'm currently here other than something must have gone wrong."

He moves uncomfortably in the bed, feeling as though he hasn't moved for a little while. "Perhaps I could get a glass of water as well? My throat is feeling a little dry and I'm not sure why. How long have I been out for?"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel hurries down to Sickbay upon getting the news about Rangin. He assumes the guy would be waking up, but the treatment worked faster than Nathaniel had thought. I am good, aren't I, Nathaniel thinks as he enters Rangin's room. The nurse was there, of course, examining Rangin, as was Kylah. But of course.

"I'm going to have to ask you to leave." Nathaniel says to Kylah. "I need to check on my patient. And this time, I insist."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Though Kylah was about to respond to Velir's question, Dr. Bennett's arrival deflates her. She backs away, almost shrinking against the fear that he will snap at her again.

She nods without looking at him, instead keeping her gaze on Velir. Somehow she finds the strength to murmur: "You do not need to thank me for being here, Velir. There is no place else I would choose to be."

The honesty turns her cheeks pink. "I will--I will visit you later, if it is allowed, and if you... wish it." Worried she is risking a harsh word from Dr. Bennett, she turns and hurries away, keeping as distant from the tall human as she can.

Before she leaves, however, she pauses to whisper to the other woman in the small room. "He said it so quietly, I do not know if you heard him ask for water?" Then she gives a weak and fleeting smile. "Thank you for everything, Nurse Mills. You have been very compassionate."

The doors open and shut behind her. After one last look at Velir's room, Kylah hugs herself and heads off to the Bridge.

Registered
    Apr 2015

It seems Woizera might not like being in the spotlight. Or maybe she's just not used to it? Nia smiles encouragingly. "I'm sure it's better than you think. Most artists I know aren't the best judges of their own product. Although admittedly they usually tend to overestimate their genius," she adds with a chuckle.

"Anyway, I wish you luck. Hope Lt. Thalen--is he leading the group?--or whoever, plans to put out a collection of stories by your group. What's it called? An...anthro... anthology," she says, snapping her fingers. Glad to save herself from sounding like a total dolt.

Literature's not exactly her strong suit. Not many artsy things are, to be honest. She can appreciate music and some sculptures and a few books. But her people didn't set much store by anything without a practical or utilitarian use.

After a moment she asks a question of the general Bridge crew. "I haven't had the pleasure of meeting anyone from the group we're shuttling off to Novy Rostov--have any of you? I don't know much about our destination, for that matter. I plan on researching it myself, of course, but if someone's got some preliminary data, I'm sure we'd all be interested in hearing it." Nia casts a look of curiosity around the Bridge. "Anyone?"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

With Kylah out of the way, at least for now, Nathaniel approaches the revived Rangin. The man looks like someone who had been through hell and back, because he had been. But he is alive was going to be himself again soon enough.

“So, I guess this is going to be our formal introduction.” Nathaniel says to Rangin. “I’m Dr. Nathaniel Bennett, the ships new surgeon. I provided the treatment that brought you back. So tell me, how are you feeling?”

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nurse Mills nods to Kylah and whispers, "Of course." After the young Elasian officer leaves Sickbay, she asks Dr. Bennett, "May I get the patient some water, Doctor? He asked for it."

Woizera tells Onn, "Yes, Mr. Thalen still heads the Lyceum. He hasn't said anything about an anthology."

Antonov says, "I met a couple of the miners bound for Novy Rostov earlier today, ma'am. They seem like good folks, and," he chuckles, "I'm not just saying that because they're Russian." He gives Onn and the others on the Yorktown's Bridge a brief rundown on the planet, similar to what she already learned in post 18. If she'd like more detail, she knows she has but to ask.

Lt. Garcia yields the Communications console to Kylah with a smile and a nod. He then leaves the Bridge, if she has no questions.

Registered
    Jan 2018

As Kylah leaves, Rangin smiles and as she heads off quickly speaks to her, seeing her only from behind, "Yes, I would like it very much if you would visit again." He wonders not only if the shade of pink has darkened, but even why she was here in the first place.

After she has left, he watches the new doctor walk across. "Ensign Rangin: Xenobiology. Thank you for bringing me back, although I'm not sure what or where from. I feel... I feel crap, like I've been stretched out thin and I'm slowly forming back into shape."

Registered
    Apr 2015

As Nia listens to Antonov's helpful lesson, she keeps her face interested and curious. But it's a struggle not to slap her forehead and roll her eyes at herself. Seht'Dar's Holy Balls, how did I forget looking all this crap up already?! Just yesterday, in fact, even though for some reason it feels like a year.* Not even that much happened since then, although the emotional ups and downs with Booker probably counted for several weeks' worth of her usual mental energy. She's not exactly used to being that intense with a guy.

Anyway. At least now she remembers her thoughts from yesterday, which were triggered again by Antonov's recitation. This time she voices them aloud, after thanking Antonov.

"Pretty harsh territory to make your new life in. When you spoke with our guests, did any of 'em mention just why he or she was willing to uproot themselves to end up there?"

And it literally was! April 12, 2017, holy cow.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah thanks Lt. Garcia and asks whether the Captain or any of the other senior officers are awaiting any specific incoming communications, or if there is anything else to report. It is a standard--and nearly always unnecessary--question. She knows Garcia would almost certainly have told her if there were anything pressing. But her mind is on autopilot right now, and the question is rote for any crew member relieving another one.

Even as she asks, her mind is whirling away. Did Velir say what she thought he did? His voice was so weak, and she was nearly out of his room when she caught his last words. And if he really did say he wishes her to visit again, could he possibly be sincere?

She is also simmering with resentment toward Dr. Bennett. She had more to say to Velir, and probably Velir has many questions as well. That monomaniacal, narcissistic doctor likely knows nothing and cares less about what happened during that dive. Whereas Kylah was a witness to it all.

Velir must be so disoriented and curious, waking up in Sickbay like this. Sadly, Kylah has far too much experience with this surreal feeling: whole and healthy in one location, then seemingly blinking one's eyes to find oneself broken and surrounded by medical equipment. It is terrifying.

Kylah also wanted to tell him that she did her best to get to him. Further, she intended to give Mr. Graham credit for helping to save his life. She is certain Dr. Bennett will not allow anyone else to take away the spotlight from his own brilliance.

Velir will not like hearing that he owes much to Mr. Graham, Kylah thinks with an infinitesimal shake of her head while looking up at Lt. Garcia. Oh! It is Lt. Graham now. How will Velir react to that news?!

If Garcia has nothing to report, Kylah will settle in to her regular duties: taking a look at the ship's non-secure incoming and outgoing message logs; searching for any news bulletins or announcements that might be important to forward to the senior officers; and periodically checking the sensors to identify communication traffic that might be of note.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Antonov shrugs. "They're miners, there are jobs on Novy Rostov, and I gather the money is good. Several of them have family or friends already there."

Garcia tells Kylah, "No, it was a quiet watch. I'm not expecting anything important for the Captain or any of the senior officers."

After he leaves, she checks the Comm logs. The only things of note are a navigation advisory for a just-discovered subspace eddy in the Porono sector (not on the Yorktown's current course), an announcement of the start of the maiden voyage of the luxury liner Moonshadow from Anubis, and a summary of the USS Exeter's xenosociological field studies of a preindustrial society on Gearan III.

"Feels like a year." Heh.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

"Yes, get him some water." Nathaniel says to the nurse. He then turns to his patient. "Yes, you have been on quite a journey, Ensign Rangin. But thanks to the treatment I administered, it looks like you'll be 100% in no time."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham heads out to get some coffee, keeping his eyes pealed for any of the Security team on their routine patrol. He realizes how differently he's thinking about getting a sense of the overall operations of the ship's departments and the Security team specifically now that he's ACOS, in contrast to "just his beat" on his veyr first watch on routine patrol. He muses about coming up with a reason to visit the bridge without barging in for no obvious reason or making Nia feel like he's intruding on her space. A Klingon attack would be convenient...well, let's look for something less actually dangerous...

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia chuckles at Antonov's matter-of-fact response regarding the miners' reasons for emigrating to Novy Rostov. "Fair point. Guess a solid salary's pretty tempting, even more so for those who already have family there." She's about to ask him if any representative will be at the dinner tonight, but cuts the thought short.

She'd rather not mention an event that's not open to everyone--that's just plain rude. And it's quite possible she and Antonov are the only two here who were invited--and frankly, she's not 100% sure about Antonov, even though he's her rank. While awareness of one's place in the hierarchy is part and parcel of being a member of Starfleet, Nia's not a fan of it. That's not the atmosphere she likes to cultivate when she's got the Bridge.

So who else is going tonight? Maybe Pourtash? He became a pretty hot property as soon as he boarded the Yorktown, named for missions right off the bat. For a while there she was beginning to think he'd somehow played leap-frog over her, seniority-wise, but...

Not for the first time, Nia contemplates her fellow Helm officers and wonders where she stands among them...

Suddenly she has to hide a smirk at her own hypocrisy. Okay, so she's not entirely against the hierarchy herself. Yeah, yeah, fine. That doesn't mean I need to shove it in people's faces when I'm invited to stuff they're not.

As she glances around, wondering who might be going tonight, she notices that Garcia's just been relieved by Ensign Kylah. Nia keeps her face even and nods at the girl, inhaling deeply before making the effort to be polite. "Good morning, Ensign."

But she can't help the instinctive, wary tightening of her stomach muscles. Super. Just what I needed. Countdown to some disaster starts now.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 15 Apr 2018 at 09:32 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

The second-to-last item on the log causes a little hitch in Kylah's breathing. Anubis. A planet she never even heard of until just over a month ago, and would have been glad never to see it mentioned again.

It is not important, she tells herself. Just another ship, just another launch. We are far away and it has nothing to do with us...

She is aware of someone speaking, and then that same person continues, even more loudly.

"Excuse me, Ensign Kylah? You see something troubling on that screen?"

Flushing at the realization she has been addressed, she forces herself to swivel her stiff body to face the Captain's chair. She is met by the expectant, eyebrow-raised expression of Lt. Onn.

"Oh! Forgive me, I--no, sir. Ma'am. Lieutenant." Kylah does her best to fake a calm demeanor. "There is nothing alarming. Nothing to report at all."

The older woman nods slowly, wearing a smile Kylah cannot read, and thanks her in a voice that is almost gentle.

With the emphasis on almost. There is certainly an edge there as well. It is astounding how one can be thanked and cut at the same time, all with a pair of innocuous words.

Once Lt. Onn turns her attention away, Kylah exhales and gladly swivels back, catching Lt. Pourtash's gaze as she does. She swallows and tries an apologetic smile.

Kylah by me, Nia graciously lent to me by the kind and lovely SidonianGal.
    Last edited by choie; 15 Apr 2018 at 10:50 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Credit where credit is due!

Graham sees other redshirts, Engineering and Operations personnel he supposes, but no other Security officers as he walks. He is greeted or nodded to by many of those he passes in the ship's corridors.

Pourtash jauntily winks at Kylah and turns back to his work.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah sighs quietly in relief at the friendly response from Mr. Pourtash. They have not been on the best of terms--although she cannot recall precisely why her opinion of him, and his of her, turned sour after one of their earliest missions. Whatever the cause, she does not want to remember. Perhaps they can start again.

She returns to her panel and contacts Lt. Thalen to see if he has any specific assignments for her other than her normal Bridge duties.

As she awaits his response, Kylah considers her words before tapping out her next message, this time to Lt. Graham.
    Sir, I thought you might wish to know that Ens. Rangin has regained consciousness. Dr. Bennett ordered me out before I could say much to him, but I will be letting Mr. Rangin know of your role in saving his life. There is tension between you, as I know all too well, but I strongly believe it is only right that he should know the truth.
    She gnaws at her lip in thought, hands poised over her keypad. Her eyes stare ahead, slightly haunted, before she continues:
    You are probably busy with your new duties, so it might be an imposition to ask this, but if you are still willing, do you think you might have any time available to help me learn some self-defense, as you suggested yesterday?

I do not mean to inconvenience you; I will work around your schedule. Of course I will also understand if your new position leaves you no free time to undertake such lessons. Thank you whatever you decide. -- KYLAH
    After another moment of held breath, Kylah exhales and sends the message off to Lt. Graham.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia keeps her eyes front, at the starfield ahead. At least the flaky little princess has confirmed that her ears are working and she remembers how to answer the duty officer.

With things now quiet again, Nia decides to take advantage of the lull and discreetly returns to her keypad.
    POURTASH -- All the talk about Russians reminds me. Saw your roomie looking gloomy in Engineering yesterday. Couldn't get him to talk, which as I'm sure you know isn't usually a difficult task. Everything okay? -- ONN
    She marks the note as low priority so that Pourtash will know he doesn't have to interrupt actual ship's duties to respond, then hits SEND.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham takes a break and finds a terminal to check messages. He finds himself curiously unmoored, since he's not required to be on patrol minute by minute on his watch. Of course, he knows that in a well-functioning organization, management ought to be unneeded for handling business as usual. His job is to raise the game of the whole team, figure out who should be promoted, and who should be ACOS after him...

Well son of a bitch...

Graham shakes his head and sighs at the news about Rangin. Well, hell, maybe the jerk has a family that he doesn't treat like shit. Look on the bright side.

Focus on the positive. Do something useful.

Graham replies to Ens. Kylah: Happy to keep that commitment. If there's time before dinner let's get started today.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pourtash reads his message after a few minutes when he has a chance, and wryly looks over his shoulder at Onn. She soon has a reply: He had some bad news from home recently, but I'd better not say any more than that. He should be OK in time. Thanks for your concern. POURTASH.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin looks up at the doctor. That had been a little more blunt than he had expected and hardly useful in telling him what had happened.

"Doctor, if you wouldn't mind, perhaps you could tell me what happened, why I am in here and what the treatment was?"

Rangin starts to check over himself trying to spot what might have been damaged. There didn't appear to be any signs of breaks or falling damage although from that height he probably would not be having this conversation.

He looks back up at the Doctor quizzically, waiting for a reply.

Registered
    Mar 2012

When Kylah gets the notification of a new message, she looks and is surprised to find that Lt. Graham has responded already.

Relief washes over her. It does not appear he is annoyed by her request. She hurries to accept.
    Yes, after my watch is over I should have some time, if you are sure it is all right. I would be glad to start as soon as possible. Thank you very much. -- KYLAH
    Once she has sent the reply, she glances around the Bridge--as if it will look different, somehow, just because there might be the possibility of feeling safe for the first time in... she does not know how long. Especially since her she lost her knives.

Not wanting anyone to notice her distraction, she scrolls through her message list again, still expecting a response from Lt. Thalen on any assignment for today.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia nods soberly when she reads Pourtash's message, and casts a sympathetic look at him before returning to her usual position. She's not that close with Trig, though they've worked together plenty given her regular jaunts down to Engineering to help trick out a shuttle with some experimental tech. They get along, but they're not buddies or anything. There's not much more she can do to find out what's up, unless she happens to pass him in the corridor while they're both alone. Seems like a private matter. Family troubles usually are.

Hmm. I wonder if he has family on Novy Rostov? Could he have heard something about someone there?

Nia shrugs with a sigh, leaning back against the chair and eyeing the endless night ahead of them. She can speculate all day but it won't be of much use. All she knows is, it's gonna be a long watch unless something interesting happens.

Her lips tighten grimly. Be careful what you wish for.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The nurse brings Rangin a glass of very cold water, and remains in the room.

Kylah gets a text on her communicator: I expect nothing out of the ordinary this watch; just mind the Communications boards and let me know if you need any help. THALEN.

Antonov's Science I console beeps, and after a few moments he says to Onn, "Sensors picking up a ship on a near-perpendicular course just over six light years away, ma'am."

Registered
    Apr 2015

"Thank you, Mr. Antonov." Nia adjusts herself in the chair, automatically attempting to calculate the two ships' trajectories given the speed and course of the Yorktown, at least when she last had the Helm.

Then she rolls her eyes. Delegate, fool. That's why there's a crew.

Continuing to talk to the science officer, she adds, "Okay, coordinate your readings with Helm and Nav. I'd like the three of you to determine the hopefully slim likelihood that our courses might bring us uncomfortably close--and if so, how soon. And while we're at it, Comms and Security, keep on your toes. Kylah, prepare to open up a channel just to say hello. And Kawecki... well, you'll know if you're needed."

She turns back to Antonov. "Lemme know once you can ID what type of ship this is. Oh, and Tsu*--check to see if there's any known traffic expected in the area."

Instructions over, she sits back and crosses her legs, not particularly worried. Three dimensions and six light years' worth of space leave enough room for dozens of ships to travel in relatively close proximity without even a slight possibility of trouble. She's curious about their fellow travelers, that's all.

* Unless this would be a Communications thing, in which case, substitute "Kylah." But flight paths and space traffic seem more like stuff a navigator would be in charge of...

Registered
    Mar 2012

This time aware of her surroundings, Kylah responds immediately to Lt. Onn's order with a quiet "Aye aye, ma'am." She unconsciously adjusts herself to sit on the edge of her chair while reaching for the Communications panel sensor controls. She will need to adjust for a broader sweep, but that will depend on the direction of the ship.

Her eyes shift leftwards, to Lt. Antonov. "Excuse me, sir, can you send me the vessel's approximate coordinates too?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Antonov says, "Of course, Ensign." He runs a full scan, sends the other officers including Kylah what he's found, and says, "The other ship is traveling at Warp 5 on a heading of 413 mark 7, ma'am. There's no risk of collision if we both continue on our current courses and speeds. Still no positive ID at this distance - I might need another minute or two. Perhaps Mr. Kylah might see if the ship has an ID signal or transponder...?"

Tsu checks and reports, "No other ship now expected in this sector, according to Federation records. It's not unusual to come across one, this far out, though, without a flight plan on record. Lots of reasons one might have changed course."

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel sighs. He isn't really in the mood to go into detail about what had happened, but if he must...

Nathaniel tells Rangin about the accident that took place upon his arrival on the Yorktown and everything that has taken place since then and explains how he had saved Rangin's life for the first time, only for Rangin to continue to be ill. He then explains about the painstaking research he undertook to discover what Rangin was afflicted with and how his expert course of treatment would have him on the road to recovery in no time. Nathaniel hopes that would placate the man. Now that Rangin is out of danger, Nathaniel has other things to do. Other patients who might need him. Or maybe a guy to take to bed. Whatever it was, he doesn't want to be here anymore.

"So," Nathaniel says. "If there isn't anything else, I have a Sickbay to attend to. Or is there something else you need to know?"

Registered
    Apr 2015

"Right, Ensign," Nia says to Tsu. "And for that matter, it might not be a Federation ship at all. Kylah, I agree with Lt. Antonov. Put those feelers out, please. Let's see if there's anything we recognize. In all likelihood we'll just be two ships that pass in the night--literally--but it's worth a check."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah confirms Lt. Onn's order and, using the coordinates passed along by Lt. Antonov, recalibrates the sensors. She starts with the lowest strength likely to reach that distance, not wanting to seem too aggressive--or, ideally, even noticeable--in a way that might alarm the unknown vessel.

If her first attempts are unsuccessful, she will keep increasing the sensors' sensitivity in tiny increments until she gets some identifiable signal.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah detects no sign of an ID signal from or transponder on the other ship. As far as communications go, it appears to be entirely silent.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia nods when Kylah reports her non-findings. "So they're playing hard to get, hmm? Not a big proponent of that strategy, personally speaking. I like being neighborly." She smiles to herself and crosses her arms over her chest. "Well, let them have their privacy for now, Ensign, but prepare a general 'howdy' message in Fed Standard and LinguaCode--though don't broadcast it, yet."

She swivels to face the officers at the shared panels in front of her. "Tsu--and Pourtash and Antonov, feel free to chime in with whatever your sensors see--given our current speeds, how long until our two ships'll be at their closest?"

Assuming this is a ship. Right now, given how silent this thing is, Nia supposes there's an outside possibility that it's a malfunctioning beacon or probe. Or even just a jettisoned module of a long-since-departed vessel or space station.

That's what she's privately rooting for. Archeological tech discoveries, especially from unknown or lost civilizations, are pretty damn exciting. Fascinating to reverse-engineer some never-before-seen technology and try to figure out its purpose, and especially what sort of society developed it.

...Yeeaah, but it's probably just a ship with a broken transponder, she admits, settling in her chair with a grudging acceptance of plain ol' reality.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 23 Apr 2018 at 11:57 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Antonov says, "We will be at our closest point, assuming no change in either ship's course and speed, in...," he looks again into the Science viewer, "...just over four minutes, ma'am."

"Confirmed," Tsu says.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham takes a deep breath and screws up his courage. It would make some sense to drop by Sickbay to close the book on the incident with Rangin by getting a statement from him (presumably) that he had no reason to believe there was foul play involved. But that's something he'd rather put off or delegate.

It's perfectly legit to check in on Security on the bridge. It's a critical assignment - I need to get to know the folks on rotation.

He heads to the Bridge.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Antonov's announcement comes as a bit of a surprise, and Nia's eyes widen. "Wait... we're four minutes to a fly-by and our sensors still can't get a read on what this ship is? Size, composition, origin, nothing. And no comm signals either. Anyone find that odd, or is it just me?"

Curiosity pushes her to her feet, taking her closer to Antonov so she can lean over his shoulder to check the panel herself. Not that she expects to notice anything a specialist didn't.

"It's like we're deaf and blind," she murmurs under her breath. Hard to fathom that anything could go wrong without the Engineering crew being alerted, but she has to ask... "Mr. Sasok, I know you said all systems are go, but just in case: can you run a quick diagnostic on the Science and Comm stations ASAP?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Our closest point of approach, ma'am," Antonov says, not taking offense, "but not really a 'fly-by.' It's still quite distant." Onn sees what he means.

Sasok runs the diagnostics and soon reports, "Science I and Communications are both functioning within normal parameters, Lieutenant."

Graham emerges from the turbolift and sees Kylah sitting at Communications and Onn standing near the Science station, and the rest of the Bridge crew. The big chair is empty.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia smiles. Science officers can be incredibly literal. "Right, just a figure of speech." She turns to thank Sasok, and as she does she notices Booker's arrival.

Damn her stupid, uncontrollable heart. Imagine, giving a little leap of pleasure just seeing a guy--the one who fell asleep rather than have sex, then fled her bed like she had fleas!

She maintains her pleasant expression and strolls back to the center of the Bridge. "Great timing, Lieutenant," she says sincerely, and flashes her gaze around to take in the entire crew. "I need input, and you and Lt. Kawecki will be particularly helpful here."

She quickly explains the situation: some flying object has been detected on a perpendicular path to the Yorktown. "Only about... what, two minutes away from our closest approach. We're not in danger of collision by any stretch, but it nags at me that this ship--if it is a ship--is totally eluding our sensors' abilities to identify the thing. They're also silent as a grave, according to Comms over there." Nia tilts her head in Kylah's direction.

"So that's the deal. We don't know if it's friend, foe, or none of the above. At this point it's so dead, it's quite likely just some random piece of space flotsam we can ignore. But one thing worries me."

Nia first looks at Kawecki, then lets herself focus on Booker. "Seems to me there's a non-zero possibility that it's a dysfunctional vessel, adrift, maybe with all its remaining power diverted to life support. Without a way to ask for help. Might not even know we're relatively nearby. Maybe that's why it's so invisible to us.

"Yeah, it's a long shot," she adds, lifting her palm up as if forestalling any arguments. "But I don't like betting against potential lives in danger. I've been in situations like that myself." She clears her throat. "But. There's also the same non-zero possibility they're a hostile with some sort of partial cloaking tech."

Nia continues to look at Booker, her hands falling to rest on her hips. "That's where the Security issue comes in," she says quietly. "Time's not on our side here. Our ship's safety is paramount. But we want to render help when we can... and if it's needed. What should we do, if anything?

"Personally I'm inclined to alter course briefly to see if we can at least get a look at this bloody thing. But that might be excessive--and if they're hostile, that could be effectively poking a sleeping bear. Or do we just fly on our merry way like we never saw this whatever-it-is?"

She sweeps her gaze around to the Bridge as a whole. "Recommendations, please."
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 25 Apr 2018 at 03:35 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah pays close attention to the conversation while still doing her best to increase the sensitivity of her sensors. She is reminded of the Aelyrr ship. The Naradraen's cry for help was caught by pure chance, even though they had multiple voices broadcasting simultaneously.

She is taken by Lt. Onn's suggestion of a lonely little vessel, maybe even a mere escape pod for all they know, adrift and helpless... with, perhaps, frightened passengers hoping against all reason to be found amid the vast emptiness of space.

It is unlikely, as the acting Command Officer said. Still... the thought sends a shudder through Kylah's frame. Yet again she is forced to remember Anubis. On that planet, she was small and alone and helpless. With no way of communicating her position. If Velir had not thought of a way to locate her...

Holding onto the edge of her panel, she swallows and speaks up. "Lieutenant Onn," she begins, her voice hesitant. She forces more strength into it. "I have prepared that broadcast you requested. It already offers assistance. But, if as you say, they cannot themselves contact us, I can add a suggestion that they might... I do not know... do something our sensors could pick up."

She searches her mind for ideas. "Open an airlock hatch to release pressure, that would alter their course in some small way. Or they could jettison an old fuel cell, some other traceable object. Anything to let us know they require help." Exhaling, Kylah falls silent and bites the inside of her lip in doubt.
    Last edited by choie; 25 Apr 2018 at 04:35 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham has to catch himself and stifle a spreading smile when it fully sinks in that Nia's in command--and looking damn good at doing so, not just physically (which is true) but professionally. He listens carefully to Onn, and then Kylah who interjects.

He briefly turns to Kawecki and says. "Let's get a threat assessment going--given this ship's size, what could she do to us at what distance if we approach...assume she's got the best the Romulans or Klingons have."

He returns his attention to Onn. "I don't like the idea of ships running silent in Federation space, ma'am. It could be distress as you...and Mr. Kylah...suggest, in which case we should assist." He nods briefly in Kylah's direction. "Or it could be something else--in which case, we may need to interdict."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Takes a few seconds for Nia to even realize Ensign Kylah's spoken, and in fact Nia's about to tell Kylah to stop whispering when the girl finally uses her voice.

And in fairness, it's not a terrible idea. At all. But Nia prefers to focus on the Security angle first. Her prime duty is the safety of this ship, not some hypothetical lost crew that Nia herself might've just conjured up from an overactive imagination.

Then, Booker. Incredible how different his entire manner is when he's in this mode. She wonders if he even realizes just what he becomes, when he's "on." All coiled strength and radiating current of electricity. Like a warp core without a protective shield--lethally dangerous yet so hypnotically alluring you're drawn to it.

She's grateful for his perspective. And his cautious instincts are probably right on target. "Agreed. One problem: you said it yourself--they're running silent, and by that I mean they are off the grid. According to Mr. Antonov here, we can't even get a read on the unknown object's size, much less weapons capability. They have no signature aside from... I don't even know what the hell Antonov's been tracking. But they might as well be cloaked for all the good our sensors are at recognizing this frickin' thing. Unless its status has changed...?" Nia looks hopefully at Antonov.

Still, her talk is aimed at Booker--and Kawecki, too. "You Security guys see any danger in sending out a basic 'we come in peace' message, which we were originally planning before things got weird? Minus Ens. Kylah's creative options, at least for now?" Nia adds in belated recognition of the girl's ideas.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 25 Apr 2018 at 11:33 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kawecki rubs his chin and says, "It's moving at Warp 5 on a straight course, so it's not adrift, and it is of concern to me that there're no signals from it. I'd at least try a standard hail, and go from there, ma'am."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham resists the urge to rub his own chin and nodes his agreement with Kawecki.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin looks up at the doctor and listens to what happened, as the other man drones on seemingly full of self-important waffle. So he managed to do his job and he seems to want to be praised for his efforts.

But then there are the longer-term implications of what had happened to Rangin at a physiological level. Perhaps this new doctor is intelligent enough to have some answers.

"Doctor. Thanks for saving my life. What's the long-term prognosis of the interaction between the Sakathian virus and my own physiology? Will there be any more side effects or will treatment you have devised be enough? Given this isn't the first instance of this causing problems for me, I'd be interested to hear your opinion."

+ Reply to thread