+ Reply to thread
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #6: "Marala"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

"Thanks, Lt." Nathaniel looks down at the young woman. "Lead the way."

The woman nods and Nathaniel follows her. Outside was his cousin and further down the hall was that strange woman who'd made a scene in Sickbay moments ago. She was still hanging about? Exactly what was her problem? Besides being highstrung and overwrought that is. But Nathaniel didn't much care as long as she stays out of his way and away from his sickbay.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The officer leads Bennett to his new quarters, which he will have all to himself. His bags are already there, as promised. "There's a Yorktown FAQ on the Library Computer," she says, "but I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have. Are you any relation to Lt. Bennett? She's the New Crew Liaison Officer, and also a good contact."

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham is resolved to stop screwing around and meet Nia (well that's a kind of funny way to phrase things, he thinks) when a sound of...something, he's not sure what...catches his ear and he realizes Kylah is...standing? Lurking? in the hallway.

He summons his courage and takes a deep breath and walks toward her..not too fast, and not entirely certain she won't up and run away.

Assuming he gets close enough, he asks gently, "Are you all right?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah stiffens at the sound of Mr. Graham's voice. She hesitates before responding, which is just long enough for her to notice the new doctor leaving Sickbay with someone. Her mouth falls open and she gasps, "Where is he going?"

Alarmed, she starts to follow and nearly calls for him, but the man disappears around a corner before she can speak. Now outrage spins her to face Mr. Graham at last.

"Am I all right? No, Mr. Graham. I am fed up and afraid. What is wrong with the people on this ship? Does no one care to do their jobs? Or do you all just prefer to do the bare minimum, regardless of whom you let down, regardless of the harm your negligence causes?"

Her eyes meet his until she finally lets out another choked sob. "Do you even know how you made me feel up there? When you ignored me? When you let someone take control over me? Am I a mere nuisance who can be squashed when I am too inconvenient? Am I not allowed a voice?" She presses a hand over her eye, where the pain of a headache is starting to blossom. "Oh, there must be someone who will listen to me!"

Infuriated, Kylah looks at Sickbay again. Dr. T'Var is still there, but she has already shown a lack of patience--for a Vulcan. Then whom else can Kylah appeal to? Dr. Villa is the first name that leaps to mind, but as upset as Kylah is, she suspects the CMO will not be at the beck and call of some stray ensign. That other doctor has been kind to me. Perhaps he will be an exception to the rule.

She pulls at her communicator. "Ensign Kylah to Doctor Bucci. Please, sir, are you anywhere near Sickbay?" Her gaze returns to Mr. Graham, daring him to tell her to keep quiet.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham blinks, a hollow feeling growing in his gut.

"I--just wanted to make sure you were safe," he says softly. He frowns and bows his head, and starts to turn away to leave.

He pauses for a moment and turns halfway back toward the young woman. Regardless of whom you let down.

It takes a herculean effort to get the words out.

"I know I let you down on OCIII. I'm sorry," he says, his eyes on the floor, remembering the moment he knew he should have continued on to the hotel, but didn't.

He turns to leave.

Registered
    Sep 2009

A voice comes out of Kylah's communicator. "Bucci here. I'm not too far off, as it happens. What can I do for you, Ensign?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Both men speak nearly simultaneously, and Kylah has a difficult time parsing their individual words. She frowns first at Mr. Graham, confused by his change of subject. "Let me down... on OCIII?" she says, almost to herself, but then must respond to Dr. Bucci.

"Pardon me for contacting you directly, sir. I do not know if you have heard, but Ensign Rangin is in Sickbay now. We were orbital skydiving and he suddenly... lost consciousness. While he was seen to by a new doctor on staff, the examination was so brief and I--I fear Mr. Rangin's nonhuman biology and some of his past illnesses and injuries may not have been taken into account."

Kylah's hand grips the communicator more tightly and she looks at the floor, embarrassed. "Please, doctor," she says in a rushed exhale. "I wish you would consider taking a look. I know I should not be second-guessing your colleague, but Velir is--he has such a complicated medical history. This just seems wrong. Can you help?"
    Last edited by choie; 30 Aug 2017 at 08:17 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham clears his throat and grunts. "Look I'll just...leave you along to talk to the doctor. It's...obviously important to you."

Somewhat confused (unless interrupted) he heads back to the transporter room, intending to beam down to Nia's location.

Registered
    Sep 2009

There is a pause and Dr. Bucci replies, "All right, Ensign. I'll come by and take a look. Bucci out."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Dr. Bucci does not give Kylah time to thank him, but she is grateful nonetheless. By now she is used to doctors' brusqueness--although if she remembers the few past encounters she has had with Dr. Bucci, he gave off a gregarious, friendly demeanor. Perhaps he is concerned, she rationalizes, and the thought gives her a measure of comfort. At least someone is taking this seriously.

She shuts the communicator and looks back up at Mr. Graham, whose back is to her as he retreats. Torn despite her resentment, she wonders whether she should stop him and get an explanation. His emotions seem genuine, and she believes his regret... but in truth she does not understand the reference to OCIII. Kylah herself regrets many things from that mission, and does so almost daily when some insidious memory creeps into her mind.

But Mr. Graham? How did he let her down? His accusations of her having flirted with Lord Fastolfe, the total breakdown of his Security team that led to her dangerous confrontation with Mrs. Hsu...? Why would he bring these up now? Unless he blames himself for not breaking free of Mr. Palver after all.

The possibility startles her; she had the impression he never gave that incident a second thought. Kylah shakes her head infinitesimally and, since he is too far for her to call him back without a shout--and she does not wish to cry out for him--she just watches him leave, deciding to broach this subject later.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham heads to a replicator and asks for one red Terran rose.

If not otherwise interrupted, he asks the Bridge for Lt. Onn's location, goes to the nearest transporter room, and asks to be beamed down to her location.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia chuckles at her success at finally hitting the tree. "Well, that's more like it!" she says with an exaggerated ring of triumph in her voice. "Now I'm totally combat-ready. All hail Lt. Nia Onn: deadliest foe against any enemy who stands perfectly still, then obligingly waits for her to take three shots!"

Wiping her damp hands together, she backs up and takes in the view, less annoyed than before but in possession of a new goal. Definitely hitting the range. She's actually a good shot with ship-level weaponry, but with the increase in her landing- and boarding-party assignments, she's come up against more situations where high skill with a phaser was required.

And she's come up short more than once. If she'd hit that damn Klingon on the Aelyrr ship, he wouldn't have escaped and the Codex would've been reclaimed much sooner--and most important, that same bastard wouldn't've shot Book, nearly destroying his leg.

"You ever had any narrow escapes, Lu?" she asks, preferring to avoid continuing this mental journey. She bends her knees, resting on her haunches by the riverbank to toy absently with some longer blades of grass. "In a face-to-face sort of way, that is. I don't think you've said much about your service before joining the Yorktown."
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 01 Sep 2017 at 07:49 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Graham learns that the Yorktown's replicators can produce food and drink, but not other items such as roses, red or otherwise.

Dr. Bucci passes Kylah on his way into Sickbay. "Ah, Ensign. There you are. Would you like to come with me to see Mr. Rangin?" he asks.

Guzman thinks and says, "I got shot at by some rebel Boslics once when I was serving aboard the Pyongyang. I was on a landing party and they didn't appreciate visitors to their secret base." She grins. "Fortunately, their aim was even worse than some folks I could mention."

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Boslic

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah, grateful for Dr. Bucci's quick arrival, nods and blurts a mindless "Yes, please, Doctor." But even as she follows him back into Sickbay, she regrets the decision. Despite her anxiety about Velir and her desire to see him awake, she is far from certain that he would want to see her.

"I do appreciate your coming," she continues in a low, hurried murmur. "I do not mean to imply that this new doctor is not skillful. But he did not seem to listen to me, and everything took so little time... I just worried that he might not have realized how--unusual--Mr. Rangin's past is. After the Sakathian virus, and the mental changes he exhibited later... a Coridanite such as Mr. Rangin might have a more delayed reaction than Lt. Fujishiro did. I hope I am wrong, but..."

She realizes she is babbling and lets her words die out.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Guzman's teasing catches Nia by surprise, and she grins. Instead of responding verbally, Nia yanks a couple of the grass blades loose, presses them together against her lips, and blows a somewhat feeble whistle at her friend. "I don't see you launching any successful attacks on the local flora the way I have. Get off that lazy butt of yours and take a few shots yourself. Plenty of stones left."

Still smirking, Nia puts the grass between her hands again and tries to do a better job at fashioning the whistle. Andy Johnson taught her this trick and she's never quite gotten the hang of it. "Well excuse me, mister," she'd insisted when--like Luisa--Ajay mocked her pathetic attempts. "We Sidonians don't have grass to waste like you humans do."

"You have any ideas for the rest of the day? I kind've hoped Graham would be joining us, but he seems to have taken on some extra duties that... delayed him. Always going above and beyond the call of duty, that guy. At this rate I don't know how much longer he'll have to get planetside. What time is it, anyway?" she asks in a murmur to herself, checking her communicator.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

"She's my cousin." Nathaniel responds flatly, as he starts to unpack the few belongings he'd brought with him, not really interested in elaborating further.

Nathaniel hopes she would take the hint and leave. He just wants to eat and rest for now. Maybe if she was a good looking young man he might be more inclined to talk --- or something else. It has been awhile. Too long, in fact. While he had no trouble getting sex whereever he went during his travels for the past couple of years, the one good thing about Starfleet was there always seems to be attractive men around of all sorts of races, either from Earth or alien. And Nathaniel certainly appreciates that.

"Thank you for your offer, but I don't wish to take up anymore of your time." Nathaniel says with a nod that nearly points at the door.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Bucci nods sympathetically. "I understand. Give me a few minutes to look in on him, and then I'll come get you." He leaves Kylah in a small Sickbay waiting room.

Guzman gets up with a comically-exaggerated sigh and picks up some rocks. She squints at the tree, hefts the rock in her hand and hits the tree with her first throw. She drops the other rocks and crows, "Victory is mine! No need to throw any more, obviously." In response to Onn's question she says, "No, no plans. Whatever you want."

Onn sees that shipboard time is now 1007 hours. They still have about seven hours of shore leave remaining.

"Of course, Doctor," the young Rhaandarite officer says, not taking offense. "Glad to help. I'll hope to see you around, then." She leaves.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 05 Sep 2017 at 03:27 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham briefly considers trying to get the replicator to produce zucchini flowers or some other edible flower-like thing, but thinks better of it.

He decides on a carafe of lemonade (not sure whether Nia's tried the tradtional Terran drink for hot days) and then asks for her location (if and when he has it, he heads for the nearest transporter room).

Registered
    Sep 2009

Transporter Chief Nguyen can tell Graham, from her communicator signal, that she is in a public park down in Holloway City.

Registered
    May 2013

"Thanks Chief," Graham replies. "Can you beam me down behind a dozen yards or so, as best you can tell?"

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia's eyes narrow as she raises a speculative brow at Luisa. "Hmm. Remind me not to bet against you next time you play pool. As far as plans or what to do..."

What she'd really like to do is Book, in this long, cool grass, with the water roaring past and blood rushing in her ears. But that doesn't give Luisa much of a role except watching, and Nia's pretty sure Lu's not the voyeur type--and that Book's not an exhibitionist. Plus, he might not even get here.

Hiding her frustration, she leans over and grabs her shopping bag, toying with the handles. "I dunno. Maybe if we walk around we'll find something with buzz, maybe some local square with art, music, crafts, dance, whatever. Damn, I really should've read up on the highlights of this place."

A breeze lifts some spiraling tendrils of hair and tickles her forehead, and she smiles, her tension dissolving. "All I know is, I wanna stay outside as much as possible. We don't get enough of..." She waves a hand to take in the nature surrounding them. "All this."
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 06 Sep 2017 at 11:43 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Chief Nguyen says, "Of course." Graham steps up on the transporter platform and is beamed down. Onn and Guzman see him materialize not far away on the hilltop.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham looks around for Nia (if he sees her, he waves and heads in her direction.)

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel is not surprised that what he brought on board barely fit in one drawer in his quarters. He'd never been one to have a lot of things and when you spent the last few years travelling in God forsaken places like he had, there was little use for carrying around a lot of possessions. Besides, he had his memories. And that was enough. Sometimes too much.

His home back on Earth had anything that mattered to him, but he hadn't been there in years. He hadn't even gone back to Earth before traveling here to accept this assignment. He only wanted to get to the Yorktown and get started on his new mission, both as the ship's newest doctor, but his personal one as well.

He feels better, at least cleaner and sated now that he'd had a shower and something to eat from the replicator. The beef stew hadn't been bad, though it certainly wasn't as good as he could make it. Then again, Nathaniel could not remember the last time he indulged in cooking a meal, especially from scratch. He used to do it all the time. It impressed men and the old saying about reaching a man's heart through his stomach was true, though Nathaniel had never been interested in a man's heart. Well, except for once. And that was long ago and not worth thinking about.

He knows that shore leave is only a few hours more, but Nathaniel is going to spend his time getting some much needed rest.

Before he climbs into bed, he looks at the Starfleet uniform that hangs in his closet. He never planned to put that damn thing on again, never had the desire to. He never enjoyed his time in Starfleet, that was for the rest of the Bennett men. They loved it. And resented him for feeling otherwise. But he has no choice to be here, to wear that uniform again, not if he would get what he wants. And he plans to. Nothing or no one would get in his way. Not this time.

And as he closes his eyes, he wonders if he'll have that dream again. If he'll see him again. He hopes not. Lord, he hopes not.
    Last edited by anthonydlangford; 09 Sep 2017 at 11:49 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia's eyes widen when Booker appears, and her mouth follows suit in a bright, welcoming smile. Standing from her crouched position, she sees his wave and lifts her free arm to beckon him toward her. "Looks like he cleared his schedule after all," she says quietly to Luisa.

As she examines Booker, even more pleased than she expected to be by the sight of his rugged face and the sturdy frame beneath his uniform, she resists the impulse to jog down and just glomp on him. But she does start down the hill a few steps; no sense in pretending she's not looking forward to being with him.

For an instant she wonders what he sees when he looks at her. She can sense she's a bit of a mess--stray curls are loose from her low ponytail, her hands still have some dirt from scooping up those stones, her uniform's damp and probably has grass stains on the back... Then again, if he's looking at her backside, it won't be to make sure her clothing's pristine.

Besides, Book hopefully knows by now that she's neither an Elasian princess nor an English rose. Nia figures he'll either accept her as-is or not at all.

"Hey, you made it," she calls down to him once she gets a little nearer. "Everything okay, I hope?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 10 Sep 2017 at 02:09 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah paces in the waiting room, hands clasping and unclasping. After some moments she takes a seat, which soon feels too passive and so she stands up to walk the room again.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham shrugs and rubs at his temple with his free hand. "Okay?" He shakes his head. "Hell I don't know--nobody's dead, so, I guess."

Though that could go either way, he thinks, but doesn't vocalize, remembering Rangin has been a source of some contention between them.

He lopes foward a few steps, intending to take her hand and give her a kiss...then it registers that she's not alone.

"Uh--" he pulls up short. "You look nice, Nia," he says, taking in her unkempt appearance and liking it all the same. "Who's you're, ah, friend?..."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Bennett is more tired than he thought, and drops off to sleep very quickly. He has a dreamless sleep, his first aboard his new ship.

Dr. Bucci emerges after ten minutes or so and says, "Mr. Rangin is awake but a little groggy, and says he just wants to rest. He should be fine, but I'm going to order some more tests. It looks like his orbital skydiving suit's life-support system malfunctioned. After his initial treatment here, he was a little slower regaining consciousness than I like to see."

"Luisa Guzman," the young Latina officer says, glancing at the lemonade and then waving a little to Graham. "Hi. I... should be on my way. Three's a crowd and all." She gets up, brushes off her backside and pulls out her communicator.

Registered
    Mar 2012

With a little gasp, Kylah moves forward and listens intently to Dr. Bucci, peering with a hopeful gaze. "He spoke," she whispers as if to confirm this to herself. But the doctor must not be certain there is no continuing damage, or he would not wish further examination. A frisson of fear runs through her, thanks both to her caring for Velir and her own terror of invasive tests.

Still, at least now Velir will receive the medical attention he deserves. Relieved that at least this doctor is not brushing her off, Kylah clasps his arm in gratitude.

"Thank you, Dr. Bucci. I could not seem to get your colleagues to listen to me. But a doctor's role is to persevere, to make sure no stone is unturned until the truth of the case is uncovered. Is that not so? One must never stop asking questions when one is dealing with a person's life. Or even their death," she says softly, thinking of her parents and other strange losses she has suffered.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Hmm. Booker's response seems... muted, or unsettled, somehow. Nia puts a little mental note in her brain that reads, Check in with him later, before turning to Luisa in surprise. Seeing the other woman prepare for apparently beaming out, she climbs a few paces back up the hill.

"Hey, don't be silly. I asked what you wanted to do for the rest of the day for a reason." She frowns slightly and, lowering her voice, adds, "C'mon, Lu, I'd hope you know me better than to think I'd ditch a friend just because my... um... guy shows up. I hate women who do that. I mean, if you really wanna leave, no prob. But as far as I'm concerned, Booker's joining our party, you're not the odd-person out."

She grins and, not minding if Booker hears her, adds: "I promise we won't be making nauseating lovey-dovey faces at each other, if that's what you're worried about--that's not my style either." With an arch glance back at Booker, she murmurs, "Although admittedly I don't know Mr. Graham here well enough yet to know just how much kissy-face stuff he's into."
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 11 Sep 2017 at 01:56 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Bucci looks down and gently detaches Kylah's hand. "Uh, yes, that's true. But don't worry: Ens. Rangin is on the mend, and receiving the best care we can provide."

Kylah notices two medtechs in blue walk by and glance at them on their way out of Sickbay.

"Well... are you sure?" Guzman asks Onn a little doubtfully. She looks at Graham, communicator still in hand. "I really don't mind heading out if you two would like to be alone. Seriously."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham smiles and points to the long scar running up and down his face. "I can't really pull off kissy face so well anymore," he says, "so I can guarantee I'll spare you that, ma'am." He shrugs and holds up the lemonade. "And there's plenty--of lemonade, here-- not sure if you're from Earth or not, Luisa, but there were Graham's stirring this stuff for picnics generations ago."

He blinks and adds, more earnestly and softly, "Seriously...if Nia wants you to stay, please don't take off on my account."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Guzman smiles, shrugs and says, "Well, OK. Thanks." She puts away her communicator. "I am from Earth, and I love lemonade."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah clutches her hands together, trying to calm herself, and mutters, "The guide who was in charge of the skydiving group claimed that the monitors in our suits were functional, and Velir's life signs were normal. But if she was wrong about one, she was likely wrong about the other."

Swallowing, she looks back up at Dr. Bucci. "Sir, do you have any sense that--I suppose you cannot tell me much, I am not a relative and have no right to his medical information, but--generally speaking, what would be the worst-case reason for him to have remained unconscious for so long? Have you ever seen such a thing before?"

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia stifles an affectionate laugh--Book's idea of providing a picnic atmosphere is a carafe of lemonade?--and turns it into a fond smile, which she aims first at him, then at Luisa. "Good, as long as that's settled. Lu and I were just wondering what to do next. We had lunch, then hiked up here to enjoy the view. To be honest I don't know what else there is to do down here. I thought maybe we could search out some outside concert or fair or marketplace... or just hike around the park some more to explore nature. Unless you'd like something more adventurous? Of course, we can take a moment to toast our shore leave via your lemonade, if you'd like. Thanks for that," she adds, her eyes beaming pleasure at Booker.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 13 Sep 2017 at 12:16 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Bucci says, "Mr. Rangin said he appreciated your concern, and gave me permission to discuss his treatment with you in, uh, general terms. Coridanite blood-oxygenation rates, especially among post-adolescent males, can show significant variations from Human norms. I've only had one or two other Coridanite patients throughout my career, but Mr. Rangin's physiological response to the incident, and his manner of recovery from it after treatment, are not necessarily cause for concern. As I said, though, I want to run some more tests and see what I see."

Guzman asks Graham, "Do you have any glasses? Should I have some beamed down, or maybe we could find some in the park's snack bar...?"

Registered
    May 2013

Graham shakes his head. "I can honestly say I've had more than enough adventure for today." He rubs his chin with his free hand. "Walking around the park or finding some kind of local culture..whatever you ladies like sounds just fine to me."

He grimaces slightly. "Oh, uh yeah, forgot glasses...we could find out if this snack bar has anything that goes with lemonade..."

Registered
    Apr 2015

See, if it was just him and me, we could swig off that thing together, Nia thinks, eyeing the lemonade and wondering if that was what Booker had originally wanted. Maybe I should've told him Luisa was down here.

But Nia had kinda hoped that Luisa might have other plans. She's happy to be with both friends--however that word's defined; still, all this pretty territory would be lovely to explore with just Booker. All they have on the ship is the Arboretum, and that hardly compares to feeling the sunlight and breeze on your skin.

"So the snack bar it is," she says, chipper. "I didn't even think of the park having a food stand or snackbar or anything like that, Lu. Look at you showing off your superior navigation and targeting skills again." She grins at Booker but tilts her head in Luisa's direction. "This one beat me, hard, in a rock-throwing match against a particularly wily tree. I'd tell you to recruit her for Security if I didn't like her best of all my Nav partners."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham shrugs--almost but not quite spilling the lemonade. "Well, it's potentially a valuable skill, when we're down to using rocks it means we're really in the shit I mean..."

He pauses, less chipper, wincing slightly. I've been there. That hurt. He didn't make it.

He clears his throat. "I, ah, I've been there." He shakes his head clear and smiles. "But we don't need to worry about that here."

He pause a moment. "So, ah, Lu, I hope you won't be creeped out or anything if I, ah, asked Nia to hold my hand while we walk...and you know, hopefully, she says yes..."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Unease flows through Kylah like a river, but she cannot pick out any one thing in what Dr. Bucci says to explain it.

Perhaps it is Velir's willingness to have his health status reported to Kylah, of all people. He is a reticent man with a guarded nature--and that was true before his estimation in Kylah sank like a stone.

If he is willing for me to hear such news, maybe... maybe his memory has been damaged. For an instant she almost wishes this were so; it would be a drastic way to erase everything horrible that transpired between them.

Then, ashamed by the thought--especially given her own recent memory loss--Kylah looks at the floor. Perhaps Velir is worried about his own health and wants to make things right with her, just in case...

Do not be foolish. She drags a weary hand through her hair, tucking some curls behind her left ear. It is most likely that he wishes me to go away and leave him be. Yes, that seems like Velir. He has probably told the doctor to give her any standard report to brush her off.

Kylah has grown used to bad outcomes and has spent much of her life preparing for them. She looks at the doctor again, trying to believe him. "May I wait a little while longer?" she asks softly. "Would it bother you if I remained here? I will say nothing, I promise."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Guzman says, bemused, "If she wants to hold your hand, who am I to say no?" The three of you amble down off the hill and soon find the snackbar, a small modern structure with two bored-looking teenagers behind the counter.

Dr. Bucci gestures to a chair. "No, you're welcome to stay. I'm going back to my quarters but I'll tell the duty nurse why you're here."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah smiles weakly and sits back down, folding her hands prayerfully on her knees. She does not pray in this fashion--she does not really pray at all--but this pose helps her feel somewhat in control. Exhaustion sinks in and she focuses on staying awake.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia grins. If she could, she'd wrap herself up in a blanket of Booker's sweetly awkward gallantry--or just wrap herself up in Booker, if they'd find the time and place. On the way to the snackbar, she sidles closer to him and entwines her fingers in his. "This what you had in mind, officer?"

Once they're there, she looks at the kids behind the counter. "Hey there. You have any spare cups? We have the drink but not the vessels. Also..." She squints as she looks around for a sign or menu or anything. It's not that she's really hungry--lunch is still making its presence felt--but she wouldn't object to a nibble if it's something she hasn't tried before. "Any interesting local snacks you can recommend?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Bucci departs, and Kylah is left alone amid the subdued hum of activity in Sickbay. After a few minutes, her eyelids grow much too heavy and, despite her best efforts, she drifts off to sleep.

One of the teenagers says, "Cups are free with any purchase. Local snacks? Uh... we have peppercheese crackers, smuvdips and candied totters."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia raises an eyebrow. "Okaaaay, I'll bite. Literally. I'm guessing candied totters are sweet, right?" Sidonians aren't huge fans of sweet-tasting foods, since almost none exist on the planet. While Nia's fine with drinking lemonade to please Booker, she'd rather not overdose on sweetness. "Are smuvdips savory? Spicy? If so, I'll give those a try. Plus three cups, please."

She turns to her companions. "What about you guys? My treat."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham gives Nia's hand a gentle squeeze in response when she takes it.

He shrugs. "I guess peppercheese crackers sound like they won't kill me," he says. "I'll those a try."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Smuvdips are a local vegetable," the teenager says. "They're kind of like sweet radishes, served raw. Some people love 'em; I don't." She gives Graham a wrapper with six crackers with melted, speckled cheese on them, and three empty cups. "That's five credits, please."

Registered
    Apr 2015

"Well, your sales tactics are hard to resist," Nia says with a smile. "But yeah, the smuvdips sound skippable. I'll just taste one of my friend's crackers, if he's feeling generous and not too hungry. If Luisa here doesn't want anything, I'll just pay the five now. Need my thumb, I take it?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Guzman thinks a minute and says, "I guess I'll try the candied totters." The teenager gives her a box of ten of what look a little like glazed yellow stemless cherries. She insists on buying for everyone, and thumbs the credit tab. She nibbles at a totter, waggles her head and says, "Hmm, not bad. Kind of a sweetish-tart flavor." She holds out the box to Graham and Onn. "Want to try one?"

Registered
    May 2013

Graham shrugs and smiles slightly. "Don't mind if I do." He sighs and looks around. "We can find a nice spot and wash these, uh, delicacies with some tasty lemonade..."

+ Reply to thread