+ Reply to thread
Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,550 of 1681

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #6: "Marala"

  1. #1501
    Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,387

    Default

    "Good choice, Marty." Graham says. "St. Croix, go find this Pete and get him transported over to the ship." Graham hails Yorktown.

    "Graham to Yorktown. We're taking control of the Bridge now. We'll have one stunned Sarafina crewman and one prisoner to transport shortly. Second team is moving on Engineering."

    After that he crouches and frisks Marty.

    "If you want to do yourself another favor, Marty, you'll tell us anything you know about the rest of the crew--are any of them likely to be shooting at my people headed to engineering? Anything hazardous down there?"

  2. #1502
    Elephant SidonianGal's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2015
    Location
    choieville
    Posts
    765

    Default

    Remaining silent for a few seconds, Nia lets herself process all the information that's buzzing within and between the two ships like an electric current.

    Booker's description of the situation lifts Nia's eyebrow. She's been under the false impression that Bell was still on the ship. But unless he's hiding elsewhere, the greedy moron must be one of the two that Harrison beamed up to the Yorktown. Since only one was male, she doesn't need three guesses to narrow him down. Well, well.

    To the Transporter Chief: "Harrison, has that prisoner recovered from the stun yet? Because once he's awake, tell Mr. Bell that the Yorktown welcomes him aboard and is happy to offer him a tour... of our Brig."

    Shaking her head as she lifts her communicator to talk to the boarding party, Nia's expression changes. Y'know... fuck that. A simple rest in the Brig's too good for him.

    "Actually, Chief... ask the Security team in charge of Mr. Bell to bring him up to the Bridge. I'm sure they've assessed that he's no further threat. Before he gets to his new accommodations, there's something I'd like Mr. Bell to see."

    With a grin, she transfers her attention to Booker. "Lt. Graham, I'm running out of superlatives for you and your team. I do have a suggestion, though you may have already taken care of it. Maybe make a shipwide announcement letting everyone know that if they forgo any further violence and join you peacefully, they'll be dealt with very differently from anyone who's resisted and raised arms against our officers."

    Now for the fun part. "If there's enough crew to spread around--I know you're already down an officer, but we can send more if you want--I'd like one or two of you to make sure there's no one and nothing in the cargo hold except that fancy lumber Bell was so fond of. Once the hold is clear, get ready to ditch the contents. But... wait for my signal, please."

    At last Nia settles back in her seat, looking at the Sarafina in the main viewscreen. "I hate to be vindictive," she says to Jones and the others on the Bridge, smiling crookedly. "But I'm just so good at it."
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 28 Apr 2019 at 08:01 PM.

  3. #1503
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,675

    Default

    Dahlquist waves Rangin over to the Engineering console, shakes his head and says quietly, "Sorry, Ensign, but it looks like your plan's a no-go. The Sarafina isn't structurally sound enough to be that overpressurized, and her internal strutural-integry field wouldn't be strong enough to take the strain, either. It would take about eight hours for us to jury-rig a stronger shipwide, or even hold-wide, SIF, and it doesn't look like that's time we've got. The Chief Engineer's team ran the numbers for different levels of pressurization and concluded that actually taking 200 evacuees aboard that ship was still, on balance, the best approach."

    Kylah sees no other familiar names among the other subspace messages coming in from Novy Rostov. She refers them to the Communications Center. Ruth Soeryadjaya remains on hold, the Comm console telltale blinking an accusatory red.

    Marty says, "I think they've got hand phasers, just like we did. I don't know how much of a fight they'll put up, though."

    "Yes, ma'am," Jones says, returning Onn's smile.

    From the Science post, Bancroft says, "I suggest we put together a prize crew, ma'am, especially Engineering and Medical personnel, to begin preparing that ship - once we're in total control - for the evacuees that will be coming aboard."

    In his speech, Gov. Voronko goes on, "I know many of you are wondering how many of us the Yorktown will be able to save. The preliminary estimate is, I'm sorry to say, just over twelve hundred or so. The Captain and her crew are considering several options to optimize, or to bolster, the Yorktown's life-support capabilities, and that of the Sarafina, which I hope and expect will be returning soon. Of course, as I said, we want to save as many people as possible."

    He pauses, obviously moved. "These are difficult times. This is a situation none of us would ever choose to be in, but finding ourselves in it, we simply must do our best. We must all show courage and forbearance. Consider the words of the great Tsarina Catherine IV from a century ago: 'We were all of us made for hardships, and we prove ourselves by overcoming them, leaving a name for ourselves which will light us in honor and distinction to all who come after us.' I draw inspiration from those words, and I hope you will, too. I've been proud to serve as your Governor, and I know that, come what may, the people of this colony will leave a legacy of honor and distinction for all time. Thank you for listening, and may God bless you all."

    The transmission ends.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 01 May 2019 at 11:14 AM.

  4. #1504
    Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,387

    Default

    Graham decides "I could kiss you" would be an inappropriate reply to Nia, so he simply acknowledges it.

    "OK Marty, cooperation noted. On your feet, hand behind your head, come with me."

    Assuming Marty comes along, Graham enters the Bridge. If St. Croix has things in hand he looks to confirm shields are fully deactivated and then for a comms console to send a ship-wide announcement.

  5. #1505
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,675

    Default

    Marty clambers to his feet. He seems totally cowed.

    Graham enters the Sarafina's cramped, dimly red-lit Bridge with him. The compartment is about a fourth the size of the Yorktown's. The Security officer sees three dingy seats and consoles, apparently with combined functions for command/communications, helm/navigation/sensors and engineering/ops/everything else. A single large viewscreen dominates the front of the room, flanked by a smaller screen to either side. There is the same faint but unpleasant odor as in the corridor, although the deck underfoot isn't as gritty. Bulky control components and equipment hang from the low overhead, and Graham almost hits his head twice.

    A pudgy male Tellarite in a uniform like Marty's is sprawled facedown on the deck, a small hand phaser of Federation civilian design lying just beyond his reach. "That must be the guy we stunned during the firefight, sir," St. Croix says, disdainfully poking him with her boot. She picks up the phaser and thumbs its safety. "I already scanned him; looks like he'll be out for at least another half an hour."

    In addition to communications, Graham finds the deflector shield controls without difficulty. The shields are now down. There is a lockout option so that they cannot be raised from Engineering.

    Harrison tells Onn, "Capt. Bell has come to, ma'am. He's been searched and scanned, and is being escorted to the Bridge now."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 01 May 2019 at 02:05 PM.

  6. #1506
    Stegodon Rangin's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Was Coridan, now U.S.S. Yorktown
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Rangin looks at Dahlquist like he has grown an extra head and is speaking in Targ. “I’m sorry Sir, I didn’t quite catch that, did the Chief just say that the hold cannot contain a normal atmospheric pressure without leaking when the Sarafina is in good working order.”

    Rangin can feel a headache coming on, not the ideal time for one, but he wonders what the engineering team is playing at. It’s a problem and they have a hammer, and won’t change to a screwdriver. “Sir, what am I missing in the explanation to them, so they can understand. The Sarafina’s Life Support will not handle 20, let alone, 200 people, so they will have to carry enough air for the 200 people in the hold. Air is only 20% oxygen, one fifth. Replace the other 80% by oxygen and you have enough to support 1000 people. It doesn’t need any pressurisation for that, it is one normal atmosphere just like here on the bridge. An extra 800 people without having to change anything. What am I missing Sir?”

  7. #1507
    Elephant SidonianGal's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2015
    Location
    choieville
    Posts
    765

    Default

    "Very good news, Mr. Harrison, give him some water and send him on up. No rush," Nia chirps, while Bancroft's words receive a nod. "Absolutely, Bancroft. We'll certainly need to do more hands-on due diligence. I'd rather you be here to monitor that star, but given how closely you've been studying that thing and that damn radiation it's emitting, if you think you're better utilized making sure the living spaces are equipped correctly, that's fine with me. Besides, you'll only be a transporter ride away."

    She thinks for a second. "Talk to Mr. Cheverez and pick a couple of engies and one or two medical folks. If Bennett fits the bill--damn it, I mean Doctor Bennett, sorry Cece--" Nia shakes her head. "Point is, if 'Dr. B. is free, let's give him some more to do. Might as well throw him into the deep end."

    Crap... can't use 'Dr. B.' either, with Bucci around... Eh, we'll come up with something. Plus, when the hell is Bucci ever even on the Bridge?

    With a single-shouldered shrug, she raises her glance toward Rangin. Xenobiology... Would he be useful? There aren't that many non-humans on the colony, as far as she knows... Oh, duh, she doesn't have to guess. "Mr. Rangin, can you tell me how many non-Terran-originated colonists there are, especially ones who have vastly different biological makeups? If the number's anything significant, we'll need to make sure--"

    Her words stop. With fewer than 1500 lucky souls to be chosen to live, the total is very unlikely to include the few scattered non-humans that are living on the planet.

    It's even more unlikely that whatever non-humans there are would have such unique life-sustaining needs as to be problematic. As far as Nia knows, she's the only one on the ship who needs special accommodations to survive--offhand she knows of very few in Starfleet at all.

    And the truth is, she realizes grimly, if there's someone else who requires extra resources, they may well end up being forced to stay behind. Nia's very glad she has another two Bilitrium canisters to breathe. Hey, I'll be saving oxygen, not requiring it.

    "Um... sorry, Mr. Rangin, I just... lost track for a second. If you could find out what, if any, accommodations might be necessary, itll be good to be prepared in case whoever's chosen is... well, requires special needs."

    Glad to avoid more such gruesome discussions, at least for a little while, Nia swings around back front to the main screen. After narrowing her eyes in concentration, she addresses the two officers ahead of her. "Can't quite tell. Bennett, Leventhal--are we in a good position to see the cargo hold? Or more specifically, anything exiting the cargo hold?" She smiles a little. "And if were not there, please maneuver us to get the finest view. Pretend we're at a concert and have the best VIP seats in the house. But, uh, keep us out of the way of any flotsam from the Sarafina, obviously."

    Flipping her communicator open, Nia addresses Booker again. "All right, Booker. Mr. Barr's coming up to the Bridge for a talk and a little demonstration. If you can check the cargo hold safely and be ready to open those airlocks in the next ten minutes, I'll get you a bottle of your favorite whiskey, whatever it is. And one for each of your team, whatever their favorite drink is."

    She nods at Bancroft. "Also, we're gonna send an exploratory team to make sure the ship is both safe and habitable for however many refugees or crew it can hold. Once all the Sarafina's crew is accounted for, preferably soon, we need our guys inside to handle preparations and double-checking safety measures. We're S.O. L. if that little ship turns out to be unsuitable for transporting more people after all. How is it looking inside so far?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 01 May 2019 at 06:46 PM.

  8. #1508
    Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Well, Nathaniel thinks, at least this guy is going to be allright. He figures he should get back to the bridge in case Nia needs him, even though that’s the last thing he wants to do. He also wants to check Mrs. Kostoyev. Since he couldn’t put her in Quarantine on the colony, he has to figure out something. But the prudent thing is to check and see if Nia needs him. Plus, there’s another chance to see Joe...

    He turns away from his patient and presses the communicator on the bulkhead. “Bridge, this is Dr. Bennett. Just wondering if you need me up there?”

  9. #1509
    Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,387

    Default

    "Deal, Ni-, uh, ma'am," Graham responds to Onn, smiling slightly. "I'm on it."

    He trips the shield override.

    "Good work, St. Croix." he says with an affirming nod. "Take charge of these two and get them over to Yorktown. Hold down the bridge." He shakes his head. "I don't know what's up with this smell--I'll check the hold myself."

    Before he heads to find the hold, he does his best with the communications console. "Attention the ship. This is Lt. Graham, Starfleet Security. Your colleagues are in custody and your bridge under our control. You will be prosecuted fully to the extent you resist. I strongly advise you surrender immediately and peacefully. There will be no further warning before we use whatever force is necessary."

  10. #1510
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,675

    Default

    Dahlquist says to Rangin, "The projections, as I thought you suggested, were for more oxygen at a greater pressure. The Sarafina isn't built for that. And if the 800 to 1,000 extra evacuees are over there, that's still an additional load on our LS system. It's not just about O2. The 1,200 the Chief Engineer projected we can take, at max, would already be well in the danger zone for our LS system."

    Chief Harrison says, "Aye, ma'am."

    Bancroft tells Onn, "I wasn't suggesting I personally go over there, Lieutenant, although I will if you wish. But I'll speak to Mr. Cheverez about the balance of the prize crew." He turns to the comm unit on his Science console.

    Bennett and Leventhal maneuver the Yorktown to have a better view of the large outer doors of the merchant ship's cargo holds.

    St. Croix arranges with Chief Harrison to beam over Marty and the unconscious Tellarite, with Security and Medical personnel to meet them there. Soon the two are gone; St. Croix remains.

    There is no immediate response to Graham's shipwide announcement.

  11. #1511
    Elephant SidonianGal's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2015
    Location
    choieville
    Posts
    765

    Default

    Frowning, Nia lifts a 'pausing' finger to acknowledge Bancroft's explanation. "Right, sorry. Just seemed you were volunteering, since you've been studying this radiation... let the Chief choose his team. "

    But she's a bit distracted. Booker's brief reply, and failure to respond to her question, concerns her. "Lt. Graham?" She hopes there's nothing affecting his communicator--or worse. "You getting me? How is the ship looking, can you let us know? We'll be sending people over ASAP once you confirm things are secure."

    The hail from Dr. Bennett createst more buzzing in her ears, and she barks out a quick: "Yes, doctor. Once we get the all-clear sign, we're gonna need someone to make sure the Sarafina's capable of sustaining life support over a long and fast journey. Get ready... and ask Dr. Villa to recommend a partner for you--time's slipping away here."

    The pressure is mounting, as expected. Such activity on a Bridge, during a mission that requires keeping track of just about every department, is not entirely new to Nia. But never with such high stakes.

    She takes deep breaths while waiting for Booker's reply, which had better come soon or she's beaming him away even if she has to operate the transporter herself.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 03 May 2019 at 10:05 PM.

  12. #1512
    Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,387

    Default

    Graham would kick himself if he could. Lots going on. Keep things clear and simple.

    "Grhama to Onn--the Bridge, I repeat, the Bridge, is secure and ready to receive Yorktown personnel. Security team is enroute to Engineering."

  13. #1513
    Stegodon Rangin's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Was Coridan, now U.S.S. Yorktown
    Posts
    103

    Default

    “No sir," Rangin says quickly to Dahlquist. "My suggestion was to use the Sarafina as a floating oxygen tank to supplement the LS, the more pressure the ship can take the more people we can save. From a biological standpoint, it is all about O and H2O. O2 is ozone and poisonous to the ship’s crew. I know the LS cannot support that number of people over time without degradation and further remedial work taking place after brief intervals during any return trip. But there is enough air on this ship to last for a while when we are in transit even with extra people on this ship.”

    Rangin feels defeated, two senior officers of the ship shutting down the idea, and he wonders if he was right to think it would be possible. “If the chief thinks the idea is not possible, then so be it. But we can still fit more than 1200 on board, mainly by taking the smaller members of the colony. I hope that can be given some consideration as well. Thank you sir, for trying anyway.”

    He wonders what the state is down on the planet and heads to Kylah to find out. He had asked a question earlier and he would like to know if she had found an answer by now.

  14. #1514
    Global Moderator choie's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    3,877

    Default

    Kylah, while finishing the work of combining the Captain's and Governor's speeches, has to blink away the tears stinging her eyes. The Governor's words were painful to absorb, as are the extraordinarily cruel deaths that so many on the planet are facing.

    The lone red flash from Aldaan's friend blurs the longer she stares at it. She must answer, but this problem seems unsolvable. If there were only someone she could confide in...? But too many questions will make her situation worse. And besides, who would make an effort to assist Kylah in doing something so unethical? She cannot offer anything in return--and even if she had something to offer, who on the Yorktown would possibly accept a bribe?

    A thought strikes her, along with the mental image of a face. For a few frightening seconds her lungs hitch, unable to breathe. She has to force herself to inhale. No. Never.

    Shoving the idea from her mind with a shudder, she drags her gaze back to the panel. With more hails coming in, desperately requiring her attention, the strain on her nerves makes her temples throb. It is too much. Even the team in the Communications Center will not be able to handle so many pleas for help.

    She clears her throat and contacts her supervisor. "Lt. Thalen, sir. I have two questions, I am sorry to bother you. First, Captain Singh wished me to make a shipwide announcement, using her own recording and the speech made by the leader of Novy Rostov. May I do so? Also... sir, we are getting overwhelmed by hails from the planet. I--I am sorry, but I do not know what else--I mean, these people deserve an answer, but..." Kylah shrugs helplessly. "I did add a recorded message to assure them we are doing our best, but that is only for putting them on hold."

    A sense of someone near her makes her turn around. Velir. Her eyes, still beseeching, meet his. "Please sir," she says to Lt. Thalen, but her words are also aimed at the man who was once her closest friend on the ship. "What can I do?"
    Last edited by choie; 04 May 2019 at 09:27 PM.

  15. #1515
    Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    169

    Default

    What the... Nathaniel thinks as Nia’s words sink in. Surely she wasn’t thinking he should go over to that damn ship... once its safe, that is? Well, I did ask. Maybe that is my first mistake. Next he wonders who Dr. Villa is going to partner him with on this mission to hell. Except for surgical nurses who knew their place, and stayed out of his way, he isn’t used to working with anyone. And he isn’t looking forward to it now. But there is no way they’d let him do this alone. It is against a dozen regulations, he imagines. He didn’t know where Dr. Villa is now, but he figures he might as well start in her office. He leaves his office and quickly finds himself standing outside her door. He presses the call button.

  16. #1516
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,675

    Default

    Dahlquist says, before Rangin turns away, "Thank you, Ensign. That's what I explained to the Chief Engineer, and that's what he and his team came up with. They've been considering a lot of different proposals, and unfortunately not all of them are feasible. Personally, I think it was the kind of outside-the-box thinking we need at a time like this. Sorry it didn't pan out."

    Thalen responds to Kylah: "The Captain spoke to me about the Governor's expected speech earlier. Proceed with the shipwide rebroadcast, as ordered." He thinks. "Then go ahead and record a new message for anyone calling us from the planet, directing them to the Governor's speech and asking them to stand by. We can't give anyone special treatment, of course. We'll just have to see how the lottery pans out. I'm putting all Communications staff on alert to handle the surge of messages. You keep covering the Bridge, I'll head down to the Comm Center and join the watchstanders already there, and everyone else can work out of their quarters. I'll tell everyone that they can toss any particularly difficult calls," he frowns wryly, "which might be most of them, my way."

    Dr. Villa is indeed in her Sickbay office. "Come in," she says, looking up from a data pad. "Ah, Dr. Bennett. There you are. What can I do for you?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 06 May 2019 at 11:58 AM.

  17. #1517
    Global Moderator choie's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    3,877

    Default

    "Yes, thank you, sir." Kylah disconnects the call and casts another wary gaze at her panel. After a preparatory breath, she sets up a recording and speaks Lt. Thalen's words into her mic. She tries to keep her tone sympathetic and personal, which is not difficult. Getting through to the end without crying, however, is.

    She then programs the recording as an autoreply to every hail from Novy Rostov. If any ship or some other external source hails the Yorktown, they will not receive this response.

    Velir's observation of her makes Kylah self-conscious, and she wonders how poorly she is handling things, from his perspective. All she can do is follow her orders... before betraying them to those of her uncle, when the time comes.

    She turns to the center chair. Lt. Onn seems busy, but there is a moment when she appears to just be looking at the ship across from them. "Excuse me, Lt. Onn? Ma'am?"

    "Yes?"

    Not a very patient yes, but for once Kylah is confident that her task is important enough to take precedence. "Captain Singh contacted me--us--not too long ago. I have a recording of her and Governor Voronko addressing the--the situation--that she wished me to broadcast ship-wide. Her speech is for the crew;.the Governor's is the same one he has already given to his people. May I--may I play it now?"

    Lt. Onn turns more directly to her. "She contacted you?" Her expression seems serene, but Kylah can tell there are multiple emotions battling for supremacy, none of which include anything complimentary toward her. "I would've liked to have been informed of that, Ensign."

    She did not ask for you, Kylah wants to say, but holds her tongue. "Yes, ma'am, I am sorry. The Captain had little time. So..." She bites her lip and pats her panel close to the announcement control. "May I please--"

    "Yes, of course. Keep it medium volume in here. We need to hear our boarding party clearly."

    As Kylah turns to fulfill the Captain's commands, including making sure the message is sent to all off-duty officers. She has only just started when Lt. Onn adds a belated and unusually hesitant, "Thanks, Ensign."

    Kylah looks back but the lieutenant has already returned her focus to the Sarafina. Swallowing, Kylah finishes programming the message for broadcast via the intercom, and then sets it to play--starting, of course, by getting attention courtesy of the familiar bosun's whistle.

  18. #1518
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,675

    Default

    The Captain's preface, and the Governor's speech, play out to the end. Kylah notices some shocked expressions among the Bridge crew; apparently not everyone had known what was going on.

    Dr. Villa holds up her index finger to Dr. Bennett after the bosun's whistle sounds and the Captain begins speaking. She gestures to a seat if Bennett wishes to sit, but listens to everything silently and then leans back in her chair. "Thank you, Dr. Bennett. You were about to say...?"

  19. #1519
    Stegodon Rangin's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Was Coridan, now U.S.S. Yorktown
    Posts
    103

    Default

    "Thanks again Sir," Rangin replies automatically while his brain tries to work out what to do next. Out-of-the-box thinking that wasn't good enough. He wonders if the chief will not allow more than a set limit of people on board because it might disturb the LS. It seems running something against a ticking clock is something they are not prepared to risk. Only take those you can fit on safely.

    He turns and heads across to Kylah as the Governor's speech starts and with a nod to Kylah listens to it while stood next to her console waiting for an opportunity to speak.

    Then he hears the news from the Governor of the method of lottery choice and his heart sinks further. From his calculations, it is one of the more sub-optimal choices for rescuing as many people as possible. If they rescued from smallest person to biggest person they could outdo that number, but no - they had to go with that choice. It seems that maths and biology were nobody’s strong point even if it did make it more palatable for those in the colony.

    Rangin begins to worry about how they might get the people off if they are chosen. Other than splitting the groups into separate areas and picking one up, but if they left everyone milling around it would be a riot to try and escape.

    He turns to Kylah with a slightly sick look on his face. "Hello, did you manage to find out if there is anyone visiting the colony who is not part of the general population?"

  20. #1520
    Elephant SidonianGal's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2015
    Location
    choieville
    Posts
    765

    Default

    A weight lifts from Nia's chest when she hears Booker's voice. "Copy that, Lieutenant," she says, more to herself than to him, which is why she reverts to pilot lingo. "If you can get someone over to the cargo hold, my audience'll be here any moment. But obviously, safety first."

    So the Bridge is secure. That's good--no, more than that, it's excellent. But Nia's not keen on sending anyone else over while there's still the rest of the ship to clean up.

    Then Kylah interrupts her with news of the Captain. Nia's distracted and somewhat annoyed that Singh's bypassing her. Is it rational? No. Nia doesn't claim to be a constant source of rationality. After giving the ensign a bit of a chastising--nothing too bad, but seriously, the girl should know Nia needs to hear about this stuff ASAP--

    Sighing, Nia turns around and waits in some dread for the messages to play. Singh's preamble deserves some respect, and she keeps silent for a while to listen to both her captain and the colony's governor. After the latter has spoken for some minutes, and talk of the goddamn lottery burns Nia's blood once again, she has to shut it all out. Time isn't expanding.

    At least she can get the Sarafina prep team geared up and ready to go. Bennett's getting someone, so there's two from Medical. Bancroft's talking to Cheverez for Engies. Science...

    No, she hasn't picked anyone from Science. She twists around to Dahlquist and Rangin, but the latter's edging toward Kylah. Nia lets another sigh escape her.

    At this point she decides to go to a higher source for advice. With Singh and Vargas gone, the third-ranking officer is her best bet. She leans to her left, where her armrest panel is certainly getting a workout today.

    "Bridge to Cmdr. Roble," she says. "Sir, it's Onn. Do you have a moment?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 08 May 2019 at 05:05 AM.

  21. #1521
    Global Moderator choie's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    3,877

    Default

    Kylah senses Velir's thoughts--or rather, his intent--about two seconds before he speaks, and panic rises within her. He seems to have guessed what, or whom, she is thinking about.

    She tries not to shrink away or show her mortification. But if he can sense me, what does it matter? Facial expressions are often deceptive. Emotions are much easier to read, at least for Kylah, and she has no idea what Velir is capable of. Yet.

    She is so tempted to look at the flashing red light that she swivels further toward Velir, not just avoiding it herself but also hopefully hiding it from his view. "Forgive me, I do not remember your having asked me to make this inquiry. There has been so much activity, all these people... And then Captain Singh... well, you heard the announcement."

    Her lips feel dry and she licks them out of nervousness. "I know there are some visitors. One or two from the party..."

    Even as Kylah speaks she cannot remember if this is true. But it makes sense and she sticks with it. Velir did not speak to nearly as many attendees as she did.

    "Of course I can find out, if you wish. I am worried about the traffic from the planet; there is so much outbound activity, it might overload the subspace transmitters.* Why do you ask? Not that you need to explain," she adds hurriedly. "I just...wondered..."

    A shrug finishes her not-very-articulate response. The imaginary pulse of heat radiating from the inbound call for her matches her rapid heart rate. Oh, I should not have asked him anything, I must not keep her waiting. Kylah just looks up at him, sad and stressed and frightened.


    * Erm, is this a thing that could happen? I don't know, it seems to make sense but if not, pretend she didn't say it.
    Last edited by choie; 08 May 2019 at 06:29 AM.

  22. #1522
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,675

    Default

    After a few moments, Roble responds, "Certainly, Lieutenant. How may I help you? Would you like me to come to the Bridge?"

    It is theoretically possible, although unlikely, that the very heavy outgoing subspace comm traffic could overload the colony's transmitter. More likely that later callers would get the equivalent of a busy signal.

  23. #1523
    Stegodon Rangin's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Was Coridan, now U.S.S. Yorktown
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Rangin shrugs slightly at the news, not surprised that not only did have Kylah have time to answer his question, but also that there are visitors to the planet.

    "I've set up some randomisers based on the colonists to see what the distribution of people saved is like, and I wanted to make sure I had everyone in it. That includes people not registered in the Colony."

    He sighs aware of what he is doing, "At some point, they are going to want to choose, so better to have to ready to do so, than to create at the last moment. Saves someone else the knowledge of what they are doing." He shakes his head, remembering the speech from the Governor and lowers his voice, "between you and me, it's not a good choice for saving as many as possible, but that's not my decision."

    "I'm sorry for asking, but if you have your hands full, I can go and try and pull the data out for myself?"

  24. #1524
    Elephant SidonianGal's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2015
    Location
    choieville
    Posts
    765

    Default

    Nia shakes her head firmly, not that Roble can see her. "No need to trouble you with that, sir, unless you want to take a look at things." His prerogative, but she certainly doesn't want to be replaced right now, as utterly shitty as her job is right now.

    "To update you, right now, our boarding party's in the process of securing the Sarafina. Once they're done, we'll send a team to head over there to assess how capable and safe this vessel is.

    "That's where I could use your advice, Commander. I've got two from Medical and two from Engineering, but since I'm waiting for updates from the boarding party, I'd be grateful for your assistance in deciding which officers should complete the initial team."

    Nia changes her gaze from the viewscreen to Leventhal's back, simply because she's nearly memorized the Sarafina by now and needs a break.

    The sight of the Helm and Nav duo in front of her helps complete her thoughts. "Obviously it'll need a mini Bridge crew, but I'm thinking more of preparing a dinky merchant vessel to house and propel at least two hundred people of possibly varying races to safety as fast and far as it can.

    "We're picking engineers and med staff, but still need science, possibly our assistant quartermaster for supplies, one of the mess officers...?" Oh help, she thinks, suddenly feeling the magnitude of what they need to prepare, both here and on the Sarafina.

    And the shuttles, if Singh agrees to Nia's suggestion. Wait. There were some vessels down on the planet, right? Small ones with no warp power, she remembers, never intended to leave the planet really, but... Could we tow 'em? Any livable space would be awesome, even if we can just get a dozen more out of there... I mean, fuck, that's twelve fewer dead people we'll be abandoning. Those lives mean everything.

    She puts her fleeting thoughts on ice until she speaks to Cheverez. All she says to Roble is, "Your recommendations for staffing this prep crew, sir?"

    Nia breathes and listens--for the senior officer's reply, any new report from Booker, the final depressing words of the Governor, and her own pulse pounding in her ear.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 08 May 2019 at 04:46 PM.

  25. #1525
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,675

    Default

    The NR Colonial Government keeps a complete record of who is on the planet, including permanent residents, temporary residents and visitors.

    The Science Officer thinks for a few moments and says, "I agree, a few people from Engineering and Medical would be useful. And a helm officer and navigator for the Bridge... perhaps some Security officers to keep order. I don't know if you'll need any Science personnel aboard, but I'd be glad to assign some, if you think it best. Did you wish specific names from me for any of these billets, Mr. Onn?"

  26. #1526
    Global Moderator choie's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    3,877

    Default

    Stiff shoulders relaxing just slightly, Kylah lets herself indulge in the fiction that she can help Velir, that he might be able to help her... that he wants to help her.

    "It is no trouble, Velir. The information is easy to find, it will all be in their records for you to--" She stops when the danger in the situation sweeps back into reality. If Velir himself is devising a way to help choose the evacuee lottery list, he will know exactly who should be on it... and who should not. If Ms. Soeryadjaya is not chosen, and Kylah somehow, somehow manages to get her off the planet nevertheless, Velir will know. He is not the sort to forget Ruth Soeryadjaya's name. Nor will he let the inconsistency go.

    She is trapped. Damned if she fails, damned if she succeeds. Aldaan gets what he wants--his contact's life saved--with Kylah the sacrificial pawn. Perhaps Uncle Aldaan planned it this way. Perhaps he is ready to finalize a pact with the Klingons, and so he no longer cares that the discovery of her role in this rescue is almost inevitable. He does not care if she is forced out of Starfleet and the Federation. Then he will have her back to do his bidding.

    And worst of all… Velir will probably be the one to catch her out.

    "I am sorry, I lost my train of thought," she says to Velir, lassitude nearly overtaking her. "Like you, I do not... I do not fully understand the decision. But that does not matter. The choice has been made, and I have to... we have to follow orders. The consequences are out of our hands. They always have been."

    Kylah slowly moves her chair to the second Communication station, still avoiding that ominous red flash. "I will contact the council on the planet and ask for the list." The words are listless. Only her desire for Velir to see her engaged in her task keeps her voice from being a complete monotone. "They might let us access the data directly. If so I will send it to your station. Is that all right?"
    Last edited by choie; 08 May 2019 at 06:58 PM.

  27. #1527
    Elephant SidonianGal's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2015
    Location
    choieville
    Posts
    765

    Default

    "Most definitely, sir," Nia says, shifting in her chair. "To clarify, it's not so much who'll crew the Sarafina once the real journey begins..."

    Obviously. Does Roble really think she doesn't know who's necessary to fly a ship? Her? Of course he doesn't know her as well as Singh and Cheverez. Or even Vargas.

    She lets it go. "...It's more the preparations and assessments needed to make sure the Sarafina is even capable of what we need her to do. We've scanned her enough to know what she can do theoretically, but we need boots on the ground. Our requirements are way above and beyond from her original purpose.

    "I figure science officers would be useful in determining whether the ship's LS systems are up to the task of maintaining different races' needs. And working with the engineers to beef 'em up, if necessary. Plus there's figuring out what supplies the ship'll need for food and water, makeshift beds... that should all be decided by the time we return to orbit. So, quartermaster, mess crew..."

    Nia runs a hand across her face, just to wake herself up. "Sorry if I'm overexplaining what I'm sure you don't need me to explain in the first place. Normally I'd do this myself. I'm a great juggler but under these circumstances I'm being handed at least two or three more balls than I can handle." She can't help herself and smiles wryly. "And trust me, I can usually--"

    Thanks to every deity guarding Sidonia, Nia catches herself mid-raunchy joke. Holy shit, get yourself together! A hint of smut with Cheverez? Thalen? Ajay? The entire Security and most of the Engineering team? Definitely. But not Roble, not on the Bridge, and definitely not in these circumstances.

    "--I can usually multitask with the best of 'em. But there's a lot going on now, and like any smart C.O., I'm exercising power by delegating it." At least this small moment of levity is allowable. "...With your permission, of course. So, yes, sir, I'd be very grateful--if you have time--to handpick whatever officers are best suited for all of the above. Besides, I'm sure you're in a better position to know who's prepping our own ship for what lies ahead."

  28. #1528
    Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,387

    Default

    "Graham to Mahmoud. Status report when you can," he says into his communicator.

    He knows Nia's keen for him to get to the cargo hold, but he needs the team to mop up engineering and either the team to collect the crewmember who appeared to be in quarters--or he should do it enroute.

  29. #1529
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,675

    Default

    "Certainly, Mr. Onn," says Roble equably. "Leave it to me... although I may further delegate the matter myself. That's one of the prerogatives of being a department chief, as you'll learn yourself in due time, I have no doubt."

    Over the communicator Mahmoud says with a chuckle, "I think your announcement did the trick, Book. They've opened the door and surrendered, gentle as lambs. They're disarmed and we're searching and scanning them now. Engineering is ours."

  30. #1530
    Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,387

    Default

    "Surely it was my charming personality," Graham replies. "But good work. Will you wrap up the last crewmember in quarters? I'm on my way to the hold, it's a priority for Ni- er, Yorktown."

  31. #1531
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,675

    Default

    "Oh, right, the guy... or gal... belowdecks. Will do," Mahmoud replies.

  32. #1532
    Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Nathaniel realizes how much he doesn't want to do this. Going on another foolhardly away mission was one thing, but having to ask permission on who he could take with him was like adding insult to injury. He was used to and fully capable of picking his own team. But he isn't in charge... yet. So he couldn't make those decisions. Yet.

    "Yes... Nia.... Lieutenant Onn wants me to head a team to access the medical situation at the Sarafina, once we have it under our control that is." Nathaniel says. "She wanted me to get your input as to who to take with me."

  33. #1533
    Stegodon Rangin's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Was Coridan, now U.S.S. Yorktown
    Posts
    103

    Default

    "Thank you Kylah, that would be very useful. A second check of the data for the Colony is always welcome and I want to make sure everyone has a chance no matter how small."

    He shakes his head at the thought of what he is doing. "I can understand the reasons for the choice. It's because it is the easy, simple choice to make, even if it saves less people than other choices might make. But you're right, the choice and responsibility is out of our hands no matter how much we want to save everyone." He realises he is chattering on like some miner's wife with little more to do and no doubt stalling Kylah from far more important work than his request.

    "Sorry, I must be keeping you from more important matters. I'll wait at Science 1."

  34. #1534
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,675

    Default

    Dr. Villa says, "The plan is to have 200 evacuees on the Sarafina, I believe, so I would take, say, two medics along. Just take the first two on the duty roster, unless you have someone in mind."

    Mahmoud reports via communicator to Graham, "There's a very large Tellarite female down here in what appears to be her personal quarters. She's passed out and, uh... unpresentable in public. I'm no doctor, but I know a drunk Tellarite when I see one."

    It has been 33 minutes since the Yorktown broke orbit.

  35. #1535
    Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,387

    Default

    Graham can't help but chuckle as he replies to Mahmoud. "Glad it's you rather than me. Get her over to Yorktown, and have the others do a basic safety scan and inspection of the ship - we're going to have colonists filling it up, make sure there's nothing dangerous lying around. Meet me in the cargo bay."

  36. #1536
    Global Moderator choie's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    3,877

    Default

    “No, Velir, this will just take a moment, and it is important--” Kylah reaches out to stop Velir, then quickly yanks her hand back. After yesterday in the gym, when his touch seemed to open that strange psi communication link between them, she cannot risk accidentally revealing anything to him.

    But his comments have opened a Pandora’s box, if she understands the Terran mythology reference correctly, and she has to peek inside. She continues in a near whisper. “So… there really is no way of influencing the lottery? I mean… what if someone were desperate enough?”

    * * *

    Rangin is slightly caught off balance by the question, wondering what Kylah is talking about. Everyone on the USS Yorktown was surely going to follow orders and do what was expected. But the little part of Coridan in the back of his head immediately starts giving ways it could happen.

    “If someone is desperate enough, almost anything can be considered. But influence the lottery, I can imagine there are a lot of people on Novy Rostov who would love to do so, or if not influence, work to ensure they are chosen ahead of another.”

    * * *

    Aware that she is staring too intently at him, Kylah tries to keep her own desperation hidden. “Of course, but… that would not be possible, would it? In the end they must reach the ship--or ships,” she adds with a quick glance at the viewscreen before returning to Velir. “So if an officer here discovers someone on the planet who is… whose safety is of great concern, someone he knows...”

    Her gaze falls to her hands in her lap, and her voice lowers as well. “It would be extraordinarily unlikely,” she stammers, “but what if it were so? Could it be done?” Kylah would try to look back up at Velir, but her cheeks feel aflame, and she fears he will know this is no hypothetical question.

    In the end the risk of his suspecting her, if she cannot even meet his gaze, is greater than that if she speaks to him directly. Kylah lifts her chin and leans forward, fighting to keep her tone dispassionate. “And would it truly be wrong? Under such circumstances, how could one do otherwise? Why should a purely random choice be preferable to choosing someone specific?”

    * * *

    Rangin is slightly confused by the question, trying to understand what point Kylah is trying to make. The question is uncomfortable to think about:would it matter if someone with no knowledge choses at random or picks those they know? Blind luck either way, if you met that person or not. What is she trying to say? That someone on the ship is hoping to change the lottery for their own purposes, to rescue someone from the...

    Graham, who else? And the woman he left with would be the one who he will try to save. Of course ‘Boojee’ would break the rules if they were inconvenient.

    “Yes. Yes, there are lots of ways any result could tampered with. Think of every step something has to be done and at any one of those steps someone can alter it.”

    Then again, what if he proposed the lottery and changed it to rescue more than just they say they should. Alter the parameters to get the most instead of a fixed number. Just what does 'fair' mean in this situation?

    Typical then, that Graham would try and pull something to get his own way, instead of considering the bigger picture like Rangin himself is. Disgusting that he's pulling in Kylah to do it for him, especially as she obviously feels obligated to him. You can guarantee he's staying one step removed to have plausible deniability. Rangin wonders just what it will cost her.

    “At the meeting earlier, I said choosing people by reason rather than random is the better option, just as long as we save as many as we can. Taking responsibility for that action instead of abdicating it to blind chance.”

    * * *

    Kylah’s lips part as she stares at Velir. He might forgive me. He might even help me!

    No, she must not think like that. She cannot implicate Velir in this scheme. But at least, if he finds out… even if she is drummed off the ship, his judgment of her will not be all bad.

    Although saying he feels one way now--that is quite different from reality. Velir is so hard to fathom at times. He disapproves of some Starfleet policies and Federation hypocrisies, but he also seems determined to follow orders. Because he pledged an oath, Kylah understands. Regardless of his feelings, he values his honor and would be true to his word. She herself will cheat, break a promise, lie... if she is frightened enough.

    "So... choosing for a reason is acceptable," she says breathlessly, eyes widening in hopeful disbelief. "Even if the reason were simply… personal?”

    * * *

    Rangin shakes his head at Kylah's suggestion; perhaps she missed the point of what he is aiming at. She wasn't in the conference room meeting at that point. "Personal reasons normally don't pick wisely. There is a more practical rationale to determine a choice but, as it can still be considered subjective, very few want to have to justify it. Although I have a feeling any Vulcan would disagree."

    He switches to mimicking Dr T'Var's drawl, "A random lottery is not a logical way of choosing who to survive. It will not maximise the amount of people we can save." Having finished, Rangin looks nervously around the bridge to see if anyone else heard it, worrying that his little impression could reach her ears and how she may take it. Vulcan humour being what it is.

    * * *

    As he continues, Kylah maintains an interested expression despite her mood's sudden collapse into disappointment. Did she really expect to get... what, forgiveness... absolution... understanding, all before the fact?

    No, she wants permission. But it will not be forthcoming. And in the end, it will not matter.

    Dimly she hears him attempt a small joke, and Kylah remembers to offer a distracted smile before she responds. "You are right, of course; anything to save the most people." Finally looking away, she shifts her chair closer to her secondary panel and starts tapping away. "I should write the Colony for the information you need." She rushes to send out a request for the NR Colonial Government for visitors and temporary residents to the planet.


    Kylah by choie, Rangin by, uh, Rangin
    Last edited by choie; 14 May 2019 at 11:18 PM.

  37. #1537
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,675

    Default

    "Understood, sir," Mahmoud says, all business now. "See you at the entryway to Cargo Bay 1 in five."

    A harried-looking NR commtech uploads the information to Kylah, snapping, "How many more times are you going to be asking for this list, anyway, Yorktown?"

  38. #1538
    Global Moderator choie's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    3,877

    Default

    Taken aback, Kylah shakes her head. "I--I am so sorry, I did not know it had already been requested. We are trying to help. Do you know who--no, forgive me. Thank you."

    Rather than ask who else has asked for this information, Kylah hastens to cut the connection. In truth she did not intend to make visual contact at all. Her fingers must have tapped the command out of habit.

    Flushing, she forwards the information to Velir's station and says, just loudly enough for him to hear: "Apparently the list has been sent to the Yorktown before. Multiple times. Someone else must be working on the same idea. I do not know who."

    She shrugs helplessly and rolls her chair back to the main Comms station, and--if nothing else crops up--finally, finally, addresses the insistent request from Ruth Soeryadjaya.

    Ever since she saw the call, part of her subconscious has been trying to determine the most confidential way to speak to this woman. The best she can do, short of taking the hail somewhere other than the Bridge, is to repeat her breach of protocol from her contact with Aldaan.

    Breaking a rule for the second time, Kylah forwards the connection from the main panel to her own communicator, which is not subject to automatic recording.

    Then, as a last protective measure--this one simply preventing her Bridge crewmates from any casual notice--Kylah couples her earpiece to her communicator, so that she will appear to be having a regular conversation via the Comms panel.

    One hand holding her open communicator on her lap, the other adjusting the volume on her earpiece, she addresses the older woman at last. "Forgive the long wait, madam. This is Ensign Kylah." Her voice trembles even as it lowers to a murmur. "You may speak freely but I am at my station, and others are near."

    She tries not to look nervous but it is difficult; the Bridge has never seemed small before, but now she is very aware of everyone's proximity.
    Last edited by choie; 16 May 2019 at 03:48 AM.

  39. #1539
    Elephant SidonianGal's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2015
    Location
    choieville
    Posts
    765

    Default

    While waiting for a final all-clear from Booker and the assessment boarding party personnel to get ready, Nia tries to choreograph the various transporter movements that'll need to happen as people from the Sarafina move to the Yorktown and vice versa.

    "Chief Harrison," she says into her chair comm, "I'd like you to be in charge of sending our folks out. I'll have Transporter 2 beam the other ship's crew here. Can you ask whatever security officers are with you--if any?--to head down that way? Thanks."

    She pauses, and flips a switch. Her mind has a second of doubt before she recalls who's manning the second transporter room. "Trans 2, Chief, uh, Brady, right? Bridge here again. Thanks for your help with de la Paz. The Sarafina crew and any extra personnel on board'll be coming over our way. I'd like you to handle all the inbound traffic. Probably won't be much. And while I'm not expecting trouble--the rest of the crew seems docile enough--Security's on its way, so wait for them. Better not take chances."

    While waiting for confirmation she glances at her chronometer, notes the time--unnecessarily since she literally just checked--and waits. Not her favorite task, but as long as she's in this chair, she's pretty much just the conductor here. All she can do is wave her hands around guiding people when to come in and how fast to go. They're the ones who get to make music.

  40. #1540
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,675

    Default

    Ruth Soeryadjaya's voice is like cut glass. "Thank you for taking my call finally, Ensign. I believe your father has been in touch with you. People down here are freaking out since the Governor's speech. When do I get off this rock?"

    Harrison and Brady both acknowledge their orders from Onn.

  41. #1541
    Stegodon Rangin's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Was Coridan, now U.S.S. Yorktown
    Posts
    103

    Default

    "Thank you", Rangin replies as he heads back to the console to start feeding the data through. He starts feeding the new data into his randomiser programs to see how they react now. While there he also looks through the list of those on the planet who could survive in a different atmosphere and don't require a standard earth atmosphere as so many planets seems to do.

    Perhaps some more people can be saved without impacting the limits they have set. Lt. Onn had asked about them earlier, but without the list he would not be able to answer her.

    He wonders who else has requested the list. Probably Engineering in order to work out the limits they are looking for, or maybe they are setting up the lottery. Rangin is sure he will find out in due course. All he can do is make sure that if they do need it, then at least his versions will be ready and as accurate as he can make them.

  42. #1542
    Global Moderator choie's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    3,877

    Default

    Kylah nearly spits out her instinctive reaction--Aldaan is not my father!--but fortunately she checks herself. It does not matter what this woman thinks.

    "I know, ma'am," she manages as calmly as possible. "Things are hectic and we have received nearly a hundred similar requests. And we are not currently in orbit, though we will return as soon as possible."

    Still quieter, nearly just a hiss: "Please believe me, I will do all I can. It is my sworn duty. But the practicality of it will be... extremely complicated. And confidential."

    Kylah bites at her already sore lower lip again, trying to think of any information that will help her. That awful idea she had earlier springs to mind, and if she somehow dares to follow through, she knows her potential co-conspirator will require more details.

    "You--you are the only person in your party, I hope? Are you somewhere private, somewhere that can be isolated?"

  43. #1543
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,675

    Default

    What, specifically, is Rangin looking for with his randomiser programs?

    There are only two people on the non-permanent-resident list who do not breathe an Earth-standard atmosphere. Everyone else on Novy Rostov does.

    Soeryadjaya doesn't sound mollified in the least. "Yes, I'm the only person in my party. I mean, I have an assistant, but you don't need to include him in your plans. I'm in my room at the hotel, the Apraksin. For the moment, I'm alone here."

  44. #1544
    Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    169

    Default

    “All that matters is that they are competent and do what I ask.” Nathaniel replies.

  45. #1545
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,675

    Default

    Dr. Villa smiles. "The first, I can guarantee you; the second will, I suppose, depend on what you ask."

  46. #1546
    Elephant SidonianGal's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2015
    Location
    choieville
    Posts
    765

    Default

    Now that the transporter chiefs are ready, Nia has to make sure the assessment team knows where to go. She turns to Kylah to make the request, but sees the officer has returned to her panel--and given the stiff, tight bearing, she's probably dealing with another deluge of terrified miners.

    Deciding she'll give the comms. officer a break, Nia swivels back to her arm mic, bless its overworked little mechanical heart. Flipping the switch is second-nature now. "Bridge to Cmdr. Roble, Lt. Cheverez, Dr. Villa and Lt. Jones," she begins, glancing over to the cute young man beside her with a wink.

    "When you--or whoever you delegate--" That wry addition is for Roble's amusement--"have selected the officers who'll be heading to the Sarafina to check its current readiness for transporting evacuees, you'll want to direct them to Transporter Room 1. Trans-2 is for inbounds only. Thanks. Bridge out."

    Well, that's her job done for a bit, at least assuming everything goes well with Graham and the boarding party. As she sits back, a little spasm of hunger curls Nia's stomach. When was breakfast? Feels like ages ago. Hm. Speaking of food...

    Nia decides to let her communicator pull double-duty, and while still waiting for Booker to report, she leaves speaker on while swapping to keypad.
    JOHNSON, ANDREW - Hey. Not sure if you've been seconded yet, but I'm looking for someone to help determine how equipped the Sarafina is for keeping 200+ people fed/hydrated, and what supplies they'll need for same.

    You've always been good at anticipating needs, and few know how to make the most of subpar equipment as you. (j/k, you come equipped w/the best.) If you're game, & you usually are, contact Roble.

    BTW this is just prepping, but if being in charge stimulates you, I'll rec you to stay & run food/bev dispersement for the voyage outta Novy Rostov. It'll be Singh's choice but can't imagine why she wouldn't take my suggestion. Keeping ppl satisfied's your specialty. You up for it? -- NIA
    Nia hides the smile from her lips but not the twinkle in her eyes. Even in a dark and dangerous situation, Nia firmly believes it's good to find some levity, some way to compartmentalize and keep things bearable.

    Without this quality she'd've taken a knife to her gut in Sidonia at age 13, after fulfilling her contracted mating with a man three times her age.

    She sends the semi-ridiculous message to Ajay and exhales, looking back at the omnipresent sight of the ship ahead. Please, she prays to no one she can think of, don't let there be any more bad surprises for Booker. Or anyone else who doesn't deserve it.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 17 May 2019 at 03:21 PM.

  47. #1547
    Global Moderator choie's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    3,877

    Default

    It is getting more and more of a strain for Kylah to bear in mind that this officious woman is in dread terror for her life. She swallows. The idea of being willing to leave an assistant behind is abhorrent. But nearly seven thousand others are also to be abandoned. Why does this somehow seem worse?

    The utter callousness of the remark, Kylah decides. Her head sinking lower, she shakes it again. "Stay where you are unless the government tells you otherwise, for now," she murmurs. "Do not distinguish yourself in any way, or utter a word to your--to anyone. You are as beholden to the lottery as everyone else. For now," she repeats, closing her eyes briefly. "We will contact only by text. If you must move elsewhere to fit in, do so, but let me know."

    Even as she speaks she cannot believe what she is saying. Somehow, though she has barely had time to make such plans, her words are measured and almost frighteningly rational. Most Elasians--other than her uncle--can not call up such reserves of calculation in mere moments. Elasians act impulsively, and not always to their advantage unless their physical prowess is greater than their opponent's.

    No. This is her human side.

    "Please try to stay calm," she continues. "And help others if you can. You might need goodwill if you are to make any unusual moves." Kylah glances around, notices that Lt. Onn is on her communicator, and worries that she might be needed soon. "I must go. I am sorry I cannot give you more details yet. This is an unpredictable situation."

    Her trembling hand prepares to close her communicator as she whispers: "My Uncle wishes you safe, madam. But even he cannot control the stars. Still, I will do my best. Remember. Text only."
    Last edited by choie; 17 May 2019 at 03:49 PM.

  48. #1548
    Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    169

    Default

    "I'm a reasonable guy... most of the time." Nathaniel says, but even he knows that isn't quite true. "I better get to it. I'd hate for them to leave without me."

    As he bears a sardonic smile, Nathaniel walks out and goes back to his office to see who available to go with him on the Sarafina

  49. #1549
    Member Elendil's Heir's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The North Coast
    Posts
    19,675

    Default

    Mahmoud meets Graham at the entryway to Cargo Bay 1. It's as ill-lit, smelly and grimy as the rest of the merchantman, if not more so. He asks, "Did you want all remaining Sarafina crew beamed back to the Yorktown, Book? We could confine them to quarters here. In fact, we might want to - there'll maybe be questions about the ship that it would be good to have them around to answer."

    Lt. Cmdr. Roble, Lt. Cmdr. (he tactfully reminds Onn) Cheverez, Dr. Villa and Lt. Jones all acknowledge their orders. (Jones looks a little taken aback at her wink, but then grins at her). Roble also says, "I have a tentative prize-crew list for you, Mr. Onn, after speaking to the other department heads or their deputies. Make what changes you wish, of course. I suggest Lt. Kendin at Helm and as commanding officer, with Lt. JG Guzman at Nav, Ens. Kjaerstad and Spec/1 Fox from Security, and Lt. Vielar to lead the Engineering team which would include Lts. Mille and Granai, and Spec/2 Travers. I understand that Dr. Bennett is selecting a small Medical detail as we speak."

    Soeryadjaya texts back, Understood. I do not intend to leave my hotel room if I can possibly avoid it. Please advise next steps ASAP. Time is obviously of the essence.

    Dr. Bennett sees from the duty roster that just about everyone except Dr. Villa, the CMO, and Dr. Noel, who is with the Captain on Novy Rostov, is available to serve in his Medical detail, if needed.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 19 May 2019 at 12:38 AM.

  50. #1550
    Elephant SidonianGal's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2015
    Location
    choieville
    Posts
    765

    Default

    Nia grimaces when she hears Cheverez's correction, tactful as it was. Ugh, where is my brain? She decides to forego the mic this time.
    CHEVEREZ, LT CMDR - My apologies, Chief. Lieutenants to the right of me, lieutenants to the left of me... Got them on the brain. Won't happen again, sir. Many thanks for recommendations and guidance. -- ONN, PLEBE
    After sending, Nia listens to Cmdr. Roble's report. She nods in satisfaction when she hears Kendin's name, and thanks Roble for his help.

    Only after they speak does it strike Nia that she would've relished the challenge of piloting a hunk of scrap like that to safety. And given her reduced need for oxygen, she'd be a resource-frugal choice, too. Well... it's only for testing the ship's capabilities, and for the trip back. Maybe when it comes to the actual escape, Singh will rethink--

    She smiles ruefully and cuts off that line of thinking. Better not hope on that. Kendin'll do fine and it's probably his turn. Anyway, Nia's shuttle idea might be approved, and nothing needs a person who uses 1/4 less oxygen like a cramped shuttle.

    We'll see. Could be worse. At least it's not friggin' Cooper. A snort nearly escapes her and she pretends it's a cough.

    She loses her smile gradually as some of her nerves return. Her thoughts turn to the new doctor. Hopefully Dr. Bennett got a good partner from Villa. He doesn't know the crew yet, and after only a day or so they barely know him. This'll be a chance for him and someone else to get that breaking-in period fast-tracked.

    Taking a breath, Nia is very aware she's mentally rambling. She really wants to find out if the Sarafina is up to their needs, or can be pushed up to them in a hurry. We need to get moving.

    Well, if she's gonna ramble, she might as well ramble something someone might be interested in. Her voice is casual but confidential as she leans in toward Jones. "So... Kjaerstad, huh? Didn't Graham have some trouble with him on OCIII? He lost his rank over it... some negligent lapse involving..."

    Realization dawns, and Nia manages to avoid looking in Kylah's direction. "Right, well, anyway... So you think he's learned his lesson? Or at least this'll give him a chance to earn his place back in Vargas's good graces? Let him earn a braid again?"
    Last edited by choie; 20 May 2019 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Slow SidonianGal missed her edit window and also totally misread previous post.

+ Reply to thread

Posting rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts