+ Reply to thread
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,700 of 2466

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #6: "Marala"

Registered
    Sep 2009

The turbolift smoothly accelerates. Rangin sees that Walter Harris is listed in the roster of Novy Rostov residents as a retiree, widowed, and formerly of Earth. Digging a little deeper into Federation public records, Rangin learns that he is a computer engineer and entrepreneur. He has substantial investments in several NR businesses, including the Novy Rostov Mining Co. His message came to Rangin from the colony's subspace transmitter, routed automatically through the Yorktown's communications system for offship messages addressed to particular individuals. He was not selected in Rangin's preliminary run of the lottery; the official lottery has of course not yet been conducted. The turbolift slows to a stop, and the doors whoosh open to reveal a main corridor on Deck 7.

Bennett says crisply, "Aye, ma'am. I have the Conn." She looks back for a moment but does not move from the Nav console.

Another turbolift capsule arrives for Onn, and the doors open.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 01 Jul 2019 at 11:39 AM.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham nods crisply and comes to an attentive stance before following Onn. She's in charge--he thinks this proudly, but is also aware he needs to support that impression not compromise it. Maybe I have.

He blinks as he looks at her walk. I love you, Nia. Why is that so hard to say?

You love Marala too, Booker. And you don't yet know how not to leave her son--or her--to die.

And you loved Jane, too, Booker. And you let her die.

He takes a deep breath and follows her into the turbolift.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The turbolift doors whisk shut, and they are alone together.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

"Ma'am, I was done down here in Sickbay and pretty much found nothing but a lot of dirt, more dirt and used medical equipment. What in the hell should I do now?" Nathaniel asks.

Registered
    Apr 2015

"Deck twenty-two," Nia says as soon as the doors close. "That should give us some time," she murmurs in explanation.

Standing only inches away, Nia sees a worn man with plenty of stamina but something... something behind his eyes, a sadness, a fatalism..?

"First things first," she murmurs. Cutting the distance between them until their chests nearly meet, she reaches up behind Booker's neck and clasps his hair--damp from his exertion but still soft and thick--before lifting her face to his with a gentle but impassioned kiss. And then another.

"I am very glad you're back," she whispers when moving her kisses closer to his ear. "I hope you know--"

Nia feels and hears a buzz from her communicator. "Damn it. Sorry, I'd better take this." With a scowl she lifts the device from its velcro holder to discover that Dr. Bennett is just yammering on as if they were already in the middle of a discussion. Good grief the man is as arrogant as hell. Weirdly she likes him anyway.

But affable feelings don't mean she's not gonna lay into him a bit.

"Took you awhile to connect, Doctor. Given how little time we have, I hope you can move a bit faster." She sighs and continues in a less aggravated tone. "Sorry, we've really thrown you in the deep end on your first couple of days here. Anyway, we're already in transit so transporting you off the Sarafina isn't feasible. We'll be back in... about twenty minutes, now.

"If you haven't yet, write up exactly what's needed--and I'm talking bare minimum--to make that ship's Sickbay able to accommodate about 200 people for three to four days. I'm not sure which medical officers will be on the Sarafina during our journey; that's Dr. Villa's call, obviously. This is gonna be a challenge, so anyone who's up for some real frontier medicine should go for it."

She smiles briefly, looking at Graham but thinking of the tall, patrician-looking Adonis with narcissist tendencies. No, she doubts very much Bennett will volunteer to stay on the Sarafina.

"Oh--in addition to Villa, please copy your findings to Cmdr. Roble. And Ensign Rangin," she adds after a second's pause. "A xenobiologist might be helpful for non-humans... particularly those non-oxygen-breathing people. If they're chosen."

They should be, she thinks. Like me they won't make a dent on the oxygen requirement.

"If you have any questions, give me five minutes to deal with an issue, then get back to me. Thanks for all you've done so far, Bennett. Onn out"

Snapping the communicator shut, she steps away from Booker's arms. "You don't mind my speaking to you that way. I mean--like I did on the Bridge. You don't seem the type to object, although some men certainly do, and you never know who'll have some dregs of 'I can't take orders from a girl,' mentality. Singh is one thing, but me... especially given our.." Nia's hand flips in a sort of shrug. "Um, thing."

Registered
    May 2013

Nia's kiss is slightly unexpected--well, not really on reflection--but appreciated. It feels natural.

But it also reminds him of Marala's kiss, and...dammit. He's spared having to deal with those feelings while Nis is actually kissing or speaking to him by a timely buzz from her communicator.

"It's a...good thing" Graham says, smiling slightly. He rubs his jaw--reminder, you need to shave, Booker--and then smiles slightly again, although his undertone is more serious. "I--we--ah, I rasied a daughter...man who has trouble taking orders from a girl is going to have a problem with me."

He pauses. "How are you holding up, Nia?--lot of pressure in the big chair. Especially now."

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin smoothly exits onto Deck 7, half concentrating on where he is going and half thinking about the contact. Hmm, looks, like he is rich, intelligent and up to something. Rangin stops and frowns, something is up, there is no reason for him to contact Rangin directly other than having been dirtside, but even then, he doesn't remember meeting the gentleman. In fact, he would be more likely to have affinity to those he had met.

The fact the message went straight to him, makes Ranging nervous about going further. A rich mark who could be persuaded to follow would be fine, but he seems to be possibly more trouble than it's worth. Especially in the getting caught stakes. Rangin had learned from previous experience that gaining the attention of the rich and powerful is not a clever thing to do.

Would it hurt to open a dialogue?

Rangin clenches one fist, as the other tightens around the datapad as he considers the possibilities. No, check what he has access to first, then go back and talk. He stalks off down the corridor, lost in thought and planning.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia's smile is weary but warm. "I'm all right, Book. This situation is just about the biggest venture I've had temporary control of. Keeping track of every department, each of 'em doing vastly different tasks... commandeering another ship, although that one was just supervisory."

She lifts a hand and places it over his heart, just resting it there to feel the comforting rhythm of his heart. "But just knowing a boarding party--one including you--was undertaking something potentially dangerous under my command... that's never easy. And what's worse is that we're doing all this and are still gonna lose so much of the population."

With a sigh, she shakes her head as if she can wake herself from this nightmare. But she has to continue. Five minutes isn't much time.

"Book... what you were saying on the Bridge about the lottery... it wasn't incorrect. You know I feel the same way you do about this, right? We were in the same meeting. It sickens me. I hate it. I've lost a lottery like this on Sidonia before Starfleet came and gave me a second chance. These people won't have that luxury."

Her mouth tightens before she continues. "But I'll be damned if I can think of anything better, anything fairer. And in the end, the Captain and First Officer of this ship have made their orders clear. The Governor of the colony agrees with them. So... unless we're talking mutiny here and somehow manage to come up with a miracle solution in a couple hours, there's fuck-all we can do about it.

"The thing is... morale on the ship is gonna be low. Everyone knows the situation. Everyone can do math. They know we're saving less than a quarter of the population. So--I'm sorry, I know I'm not telling you anything you don't know, you've been in charge of more missions than me. But I have to get this out so I can remember it myself. "

Another deep inhale. "My point is that we can't--or shouldn't, anyway--dismiss the lottery. Not in front of the others. If at all possible, in the closing minutes of my time as Acting Captain, I want to turn around the... the narrative, for lack of a better word.

"Instead of mourning the loss of over 6,000 lives--we'll all be doing plenty of that once we leave--right now, we senior folks need to focus on hammering into the crew's heads that we're saving 1,700 lives that, without our hard work, would be doomed to extinction along with everyone else. That's a positive. This--this is not a mission doomed to fail. It's--"

Oh shit, is she about to cry? Nia's race do very, very little crying. But her throat is tight and her eyes prickle and she has to take a steadying breath.

"It's saving lives. End of story. Do you know what I mean?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 02 Jul 2019 at 11:33 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Bennett's communicator falls silent.

The turbolift reaches Deck 22 and the doors open. A distracted Onn thinks she might be catching just a whiff of the nearby Arboretum's flowers.

Rangin sees Lt. JG Geoffrey Park, a botanist and Science acquaintance of his - and former orbital skydiving companion - coming down the Deck 7 corridor towards him. He is looking at a data pad and does not seem to have noticed Rangin yet.

The Yorktown and the Sarafina draw ever closer to Novy Rostov.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 04 Jul 2019 at 12:41 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

While Kylah watches mutely, Ferguson takes out his communicator and texts her. "Now, to details. This is where you should send the money."

Opening her communicator, she sees the message he just sent her. The mere sight of his name in her inbox is nauseating; intrusive. Nevertheless, she taps on it, and sure enough, he has named a major bank on Deneva.

An uncomfortable sense of deja vu presses on her. The last time she transferred funds was during her previous instance of poor judgment on Anubis. At least now, she knows the recipient is a villain. There will be no surprise attack.

She nods stiffly to indicate that she has received his bank information. Next, Ferguson picks up a data pad. "What are the names, identifiers and locations of these two people I'm saving for you?"

Frowning, Kylah scrolls backward through her messages.

"Her name is Ruth Soeryadjaya. I will send you her--" She stops short, thinking twice before a message with her own name on it. There is already enough implicating her. She does not want to provide even more evidence.

"No, I will spell her name--S-o-e-r-y-a-d-i-a-y-a. She is human, if that helps. I... do not know her companion's name yet. Nor the precise coordinates of where she is currently staying. I do know it is a hotel." Kylah checks her tiny screen again. "The Apraksin," she says, spelling that as well. While waiting for him to note the information, she adds, "I will contact her to get more precise details." Another uneasy feeling churns in her stomach. Ferguson has given no hint of just what he plans to do.

He scowls. "Wait a minute. Her companion? I thought you said it was her child."

"Well, I thought--that is, she said he was a relative and I assumed it was a son, but I do not know for sure." Kylah pulls the cuffs of her uniform over her cold hands, worrying the material as she grows more fretful. "It does not matter, surely? For two million credits and the... the abuse of my body, you should care less about whom and more about how."

"I care more about doing a job that you don't seem to fully grasp. It makes me wonder what else you got wrong. So what else can you tell me? I'll contact her to make the--"

"No!" Kylah clasps her hands. "You must not contact her. I will be the contact for both of you. This way her name is only on my communicator history. I told you I will take responsibility. And further she trusts only me. Now please, tell me how you will be--"

"She trusts only you?" He sounds dubious. "Not sure I buy that. But you'll be paying me well - very well. So yes, I can do it, and I will. And you don't need to know the details. Doubt you'd understand them, anyway, princess. You just leave it to me."

His condescension renews her outrage. She stalks toward him, grabs the back of his chair and--with some effort--swivels him bodily around until they are face to face.

"Since you truly think I am a princess, you will treat me as one. Do not dismiss me!" Kylah leans over slightly, one hand on the chair arm, the other at her side, clenched in a fist around the communicator. "I am risking everything, giving everything for this. But I have no guarantee that you will do as I ask. I must rely on your honor." She spits the word out as if it is bile. "So give me at least this much. What should I tell her? What instructions? If you need time to plan, I understand that. But tell me the truth... if you have that capability!"

Ferguson by Elendil's Heir, Kylah by me.
    Last edited by choie; 03 Jul 2019 at 03:19 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham puts his own hand over the one Nia has placed on his chest as she speaks.

He gives it a squeeze as she finished.

"Yeah, well--for one you're right, there's no carping on a mission." He shakes his head. "You can refuse the mission, or resign, or find a better way...but senior officers, no, you're right, it's on us to keep the crew in it."

He sighs and closes his eyes for a moment. "Starfleet'll probably give us fucking commendations if we save ten percent more people than initial projections," he says in a low voice. "Success or failure...I'm not really sure what they mean in a situation like this."

Registered
    Jan 2018

A small part of Rangin's brain recognises the presence of Lt. JG Park, as they wind up getting closer and closer. Putting aside his thoughts of the best way to transfer funds and goods without being noticed, and the best marks on the planet, he reminds himself to be genial.

As they get closer, he gives a polite acknowledgement, "Sir." and waits a couple of moments to see if he responds or if Rangin is free to continue on his way.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The doors of Onn's and Graham's turbolift close again, and it beeps but does not move.

Park, distracted, looks up and smiles. "Hello, Velir. How are you doing?"

Registered
    Apr 2015

The feel of Booker's hand over hers closes Nia's eyes for a moment as she takes in his words. Then she opens them again, not wanting to pass their remaining few minutes without looking at his endearing--but still troubled--face.

"You're probably right about the commendations. But I have to think they'll have been earned, Book. Ten percent is... what, yet another two hundred people."

She presses the turbolift control to open the door again, and leads him gently inside the Botanical department. Not for its prettiness and unique curiosities, but really, she wants the warmer and more humid atmosphere.

"Those 200 extra lives are a precious gift. Each one means..." Nia pauses and tilts her head. "Wait... you gave me a lot of info down in the Bridge and I don't think I processed it till just now. Did you say you know a person on the planet?"

Her concerned expression intensifies. "A mother, I think. You mean..." She nods in understanding before she continues in a lowered voice. "You're talking about someone you met when you guys went dirtside, right? On the tour or party or whatever?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Ferguson's mouth twists sideways, then he rolls his eyes as if bored. "Again with the insults," he says, "You really know how to win people over, don't you? Tell your friend I'll be in touch directly with instructions. If she doesn't hear from me - and she will - she can contact you directly to complain. When--"

"No!" Kylah insists, fear rising. "You must not send her anything. I will be the contact for both of you. This way her name is only on my communicator history."

She bites at her lower lip. "But you still have not told me--do you already have an idea how to accomplish this? Can you really beam them onto the ship without raising suspicion? I just... I need to know. And I wish to be involved. I ought to be involved--they are my responsibility."

"Fine," he says acidly, eyes taking her in, far too close for comfort. "Not that you're gonna understand this. When the time comes, I'm going to report a pattern-integration anomaly with the transporter and say that I'm taking it offline for a diagnostic for a few minutes. With me so far, princess?"

Kylah's teeth grind but she nods again. Ferguson again looks condescendingly doubtful.

"All right. Then I'll clear the transporter room, if there's anyone else there, and beam the two directly into your quarters, and you can take it from there. I'll do what I need to keep anyone on the Bridge or in Engineering from seeing what I've done."

Kylah feels her shoulder muscles relax their tension. If nothing else, he does seem capable of carrying this out.

"Thank you," she says, unable to keep the genuine gratitude from her voice despite the horrible person helping her. "If there is anything I can do in the meantime, please tell me."

She releases the chair and intends to leave. But, quick as a serpent, Ferguson grabs her wrists and drags her down, landing her hard on her knees in front of him. Stunned, she starts to protest when he kisses her full on the lips, smothering her words.

Mortified, Kylah tries desperately to remember everything Lt. Graham taught her during their first self-defense lesson. But it is no use. She cannot use her legs to fight, as they are beneath her now-throbbing knees, and her hands and arms are no help, crushed between them.

Just as she realizes her complete vulnerability, Ferguson abruptly lets go and shoves her away. Like something filthy; like garbage. The push is so sudden and powerful that Kylah falls to the floor, but at last her instincts kick in and she grabs the edge of his desk to pull herself upright.

Horrified, she backs away, arms reaching out to ward him off as she splutters, "What--how dare you--why did you--"

"You just asked if there was anything you can do. You're not really good for much else, are you?"

Kylah winces as if physically slapped. Ferguson adds in a soft, insinuating voice, "Anyway, consider it a deposit for the second half of our deal."

He rises from his chair, looming over her, and Kylah instantly backs farther away. This seems to amuse him, but he continues relentlessly:

"...And if you don't come through with the 8,000 credits in the next thirty minutes, maybe I'll take an advance on my three hours instead."

Ferguson's smile vanishes and he jerks his chin in the direction of the door. "Now get the hell out of my quarters."

Kylah turns swiftly and, without another word, flees.

Ferguson by Elendil's Heir, Kylah by me.
    Last edited by choie; 05 Jul 2019 at 06:12 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2018

"Just taking a few minutes before we arrive back at Novy Rostov. Calm before the storm, sir."

Rangin nods to Park and starts to head off further down the corridor away from the distracted botanist, now lost back in his own thoughts.

He certainly is not going to do anything here about contacting people in the colony, as they had to him and, of course he had forgotten, to Kylah as well - the barrage of requests she had been dealing with. But how to get a message back without being noticed. He could hardly do it himself, he would need the help of someone in Comms, but there is no way Kylah would be up for it, would she? Not with everything she always has going on.

No, for something like this, better to hide in plain sight. He smiles as he considers the dual message he is going to send back.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Yorktown's Arboretum is empty but for Onn and Graham. It is a pleasant, green and leafy refuge from the cares of the ship.

Park rolls his eyes a little and nods. "I hear you. Take it easy, and I'll see you around." He turns his attention back to his data pad and keeps walking.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham can't help but notice the unconscious tilt of the head he's come to expect from Nia at times. But after a brief moment he swallows hard and looks away.

It's truly lovely, but gawking won't change the situation he's in...

He clears his throat. "Not met there...I mean, yes, she's there, but we were close a long time ago. Marala, she and I...she's as special to me as anyone has ever been..."

Even Jane. But Nia too.

He clenches and unclenches his fists reflexively. "She has a son down there, Nia. If things had gone differently way back in the day, hell, he might be my own flesh and blood."

He shakes his head. "She would walk into the sun voluntarily to save him, and now my official duty is to prevent anything she could do to get him on board outside of dumb fucking luck."

He raises a fist, arm tense and trembling, wanting to lash out at something...every muscle in his body wants something to do, some way to fight what's coming in a way he knows how.

He turns away, takes a deep breath, and then turns back to Nia. First things first, Booker.

He swallows hard again, and reaches gently for Onn's right hand with both of his. Man up for God's sake, Booker.

Barely touching it on either side with his fingers, staring at all the scars on his hand, he almost whispers. "If it...ah...if something should prevent me from serving on Yorktown in the future, I want you to know...you're as special as anyone has ever been to me, too, Nia."

Registered
    Apr 2015

While Booker speaks, Nia's eyes widen, and her lips part in a deep breath. Once he's done--saying such humbling, loving things to her--she finally exhales.

"Oh no... oh, Book..." She stares at his deep eyes and, briefly wordless, lifts his hand up for a tender kiss before leaning her cheek upon it.

"First, thank you for that. I--I don't really know what to say. But--we have time to get to our feelings. What worries me is that you've had all this awful knowledge about your--your friend--on your mind since you found out. And you took charge in a dangerous mission... Oh, Book, I wish you'd told me."

After a second or two, she looks up at him again, letting her arm drop but keeping their hands clasped. "But you couldn't have. If I was in your shoes I wouldn't either."

The misty, exotic scent of the room fills her lungs as she tries to find the right words. "You aren't going anywhere," she says firmly. "Or at least--if you go, I'll be right beside you. Because if you have to do anything--" Nia pauses, licking her lips and automatically checking their privacy, but no one is around (and why not, why the hell aren't there crew members rearranging stuff to make space for the refugees?)

That flash of a thought gets tucked away for future use. She steps closer to Book. "Whatever you need to do, I'll help. I think you should ask Singh. I can't imagine, one or two more people, someone actually closely connected to a member of the senior crew... Surely Singh, or especially Vargas as your superior... they'd understand and let your--this woman and her son on, regardless of the lott--"

Nia cuts herself off, and suddenly releases his hand to clutch at his muscular arms. "The lottery," she whispers. "Book--okay, I'm not supposed to tell anyone, but as long as I'm jumping into your boat, disobeying Singh isn't a big deal.

"I told you about Rangin's new lottery proposal. The whole theory behind it is that it adds weight to children, families with children. Kids are smaller, obviously, and we can save more individual lives. A single woman with a child has a better chance than using a completely random selection. It might be slight, but... "

Nia shrugs inarticulately. "The Captain didn't want me to say anything because she, Vargas and the Governor are still looking it over. I can't imagine why they wouldn't go for it, it saves more people." She searches Booker's face. "Does that help at all?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 08 Jul 2019 at 10:33 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham smiles a bit grimly. "Well shit, god's got one fucked up sense of humor if I wind up having Rangin to thank for one or both of their lives..." He sighs. "But I'd take it."

"I guess we'll see, Nia..." He smiles aa little for real. "What would really help is if we could call this whole situation off and go someplace like this but outdoors for real, just us, for awhile."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Onn's communicator beeps twice.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia wants very, very much to take this conversation further, but reality intrudes. "I'd better get back," she says softly, one hand reaching to her utility belt. Hoping the turbolift is still here, she presses the button.

"Book--I meant what I said. If this friend of yours isn't picked by the lottery, talk to Vargas or Singh. Or... or get in touch with me. We'll figure something out."

She kisses him quickly before flipping her communicator open. "Onn here."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah barely hears Ferguson’s door closing behind her as she rushes away. She manages to reach halfway down the corridor before she lets out a sob and crashes against the wall between two cabins, leaning on it for strength.

Disgusted, she drags the backs of her hands across her mouth, as if Ferguson’s kiss were tangible and could be wiped away. When she looks at her hands she sees the remnants of her lip balm and a much redder color--blood. She can taste it, too. She must have bitten the inside of her lip when he slammed his mouth on hers.

Hot tears trail down her cheeks and she curses them, wondering where they were when she needed them. She would not wish Ferguson to be madly in love with her--the idea makes her ill--but if Elasian tears could force him to do whatever she asked, she would be willing to risk it.

But it is my fault, it is all my fault, she moans inwardly as her hands cover her face. What is she doing? Breaking the law, relying on an enemy for help, bribing him, and finally--finally agreeing to let him--

Her arms drop to cradle her abdomen, body shuddering but her mind numb. Apparently her every sexual experience is to be undesired, coerced, repellant or shameful.

The only time she enjoyed physical intimacy was with Velir. Not her desperate, misguided ploy to seduce him: just those brief weeks when they were friends--more than friends--and everything was warmth, sweetness, comfort and deep affection. Their kisses, his touch…

“Stop,” she orders herself, agonized. Why remember such things? There is no going back to innocence, and Velir will never again think so fondly of her. Nor should he.

Somehow she pushes herself from the wall and begins walking, grim-faced. And yet a small, persistent voice in her head pleads for Velir, the Velir she used to know, to save her from herself.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin lets his feet guide while he is considering the next steps. A whole planet of people desperate to get out, wanting to change the odds, not just the one who contacted him.

Why pick one person, when they are all in trouble, not to mention that those left behind are hardly going to be in a position to complain if it goes wrong?

But that only works if any payment takes place before the lottery. That would have to be a criteria, anyone interested has to stump up front. No, no guarantees, but a down payment on possibly moving the odds in their favour.

Yes, that would more likely work. That way, he could easily get the people who paid the most into the lottery run. It not like he couldn't run it a multitude of times until the right people are in the mix, and no-one would be the wiser. After all running a simulation multiple times is perfectly normal, just for checking purposes. Especially if he had one with every combination, and pick the right result set. If they went with his method, he would have a chance to make sure the right people were selected...

...What is he thinking? Rangin pulls himself up sharply, is he seriously considering ripping off people in this situation, playing god for his own personal gain. Just how ghoulish is that?

He stops and looks around realising he is nowhere near his room, even though he should be there by now. He is sure he is going in the right direction and he stops momentarily to try and work out the best way. Shaking his head at the way his thoughts are going, he heads forward and turns the corner to see Kylah in front of him, a face of sad determination, tear-streaked with a blood red smear across one lip and looking like grim death.

Stunned, there is little more he can do but call out in surprise, "Kylah! Kylah are you alright?"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Given Nia’s bitchy tone, Nathaniel definitely felt she is none too subtly scolding him. And if he is honest, he isn’t exactly feeling this assignment and isn’t moving with the urgency he should. She had him there, not that he’d ever admit it.

He also has the feeling that Nia is issuing him a challenge by suggesting he stay abroad the Sarafina to get Sickbay ready to accommodate what is ahead. She is just the type of women who’d test him to see if could handle things under less than stellar conditions. That’s probably why he was sent here in the first place. Test the new guy. And the truth is Nathaniel has no particular desire to stay here on this fool’s mission. He hates he is going to be stuck here for the next 20 minutes or so. Usually he’d give someone an earful, but he had the feeling he should stick around and see what he could accomplish. As much as he hated the idea he had to get to know these people. He had to if he’d ever reach his goals. And the only way he could do that is to work with them.

He also is certain Nia is someone he should actually get to know. She knows a lot about the people on this ship... things that Nathaniel needs to know as well. So he’d surprise her and volunteer to stick around to be whatever help he could. Besides, she has no way of knowing he’d been in much worse conditions than this for longer periods of time. Nobody knew. Whatever he might deal with here could be chlld’s play compared to what he’s been through the last few years.

Nathaniel presses the communicator button. “Bridge.”

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Pardon the interruption, ma'am," Onn hears over her communicator. She recognizes Lt. Cecilia Bennett's voice, of course. "Bridge here. Please be advised that we're on final approach to Novy Rostov. You wish a synchronous orbit over the colony itself, I presume...?"

The turbolift doors whoosh open.

"Yorktown here, Dr. Bennett. This is Ens. Patel. May I help you?" comes the response to the doctor's call.

Registered
    Mar 2012

In the corridor, Kylah stares at Velir, standing before her as if invoked by her thoughts. Relief is quickly followed by embarrassment. Of course he can tell that she has been crying.

She wipes her eyes as her thoughts dash wildly to come up with an explanation. “I was in my quarters. I received some terrible news from my Guardian. Someone--someone very important to me--might be dying. I need to help. But there is no good option.”

Rangin sighs gently. Her words have a part ring of truth, but he realises she is caught up something more again.

"Kylah, you're a little far from your room, and..." He reaches up and taps his own lips indicating the smear on hers. He doesn't move, giving her the room she probably needs, but wondering what is going on this time. However, he may as well do part of what he came down to do.

"Look, thank you for helping out with the colony data. I have a proposal being looked at that might save a few more people, if it's accepted." Rangin rushes the words out before Kylah has a chance to respond. The look of concern is probably written large across his face, but all he can do is wait for her to let him know.

Kylah touches her fingers to her lips, mirroring Velir. When she lifts them she sees that a little blood remains. Flushing, she wipes it away. “Yes, I bit my lip. It is a bad habit. But… I was upset. And I went for a walk but I suppose I just…wandered...”

She lets the words fade. Velir is not near his quarters, either, but he does not feel the need to explain himself. Of course, he has reason to disbelieve her.

Gazing at him, needing something she cannot define, she steps closer.

“Velir,” she begins in a near whisper, “If there were someone in immediate danger…someone for whom you were responsible... would you ever consider doing something--something against your conscience?”

Desperation rises within her. Could she have gone to Velir, instead of debasing herself with Ferguson? It is too late to stop what she has set in motion--Ferguson has too much implicating her--but she presses on relentlessly, masochistically, just to see. “What if I asked you--begged you for help, but it was illegal, or immoral, but was still necessary to--”

She stops short and focuses on the floor. “No,” she murmurs. “Of course you would not. You are too principled. You would not do anything that compromised your beliefs.”

Rangin is taken aback both by Kylah's closeness and by the question itself. His jaw drops slightly and clamps tightly shut again as he thinks back to life as it used to be on Coridan. He can feel a nervous shudder, even while Kylah is turning from looking at him, obviously convinced he would not be in this situation.

Oh how little she knows.

"Yeah, yeah I remember my choice. It...it didn't end well," he stutters out. "I was lucky, I'm here talking to you. Never found out what happened, but I never saw my friend again."

He fixes his sad gaze at the woman straight in front of him. "Talk to me Kylah."

Velir's emotions--the sense Kylah has of them--are brittle, shaken. She looks up at once. “You have suffered. I am sorry. In truth, I know so little about you,” she says in soft wonder, “even though you are in my thoughts so often. I suppose I have put you on a pedestal I cannot possibly reach.”

She makes little shakes of her head while her fingers toy absently with the scratchy velcro holder on her belt. “I used to presume I was on a pedestal, one I built myself. Then when I fell…"

"I cannot return. In fact I keep finding new depths in which to sink." Kylah sighs. "We are too different, you and I. You have your moral compass to guide you from corruption. The people who guide me have imposed their own.”

Rangin by Rangin, Kylah by me
    Last edited by choie; 16 Jul 2019 at 12:25 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia reaches out to keep hold of Booker's hand while they walk into the turbolift. To Cece over the communicator, she nods even though the other woman can't see her. "Yes, a synchronous orbit--thanks, Lieutenant. I'm on my way."

When she can turn back to him, Nia looks intently at Book's strong, weathered face. She touches his cheek. "Promise me you won't do anything rash," she says softly before lifting an eyebrow. "Which I define as anything you'd do without telling me. I want to help, if I can. Don't shut me out."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Acknowledged," Lt. Bennett says. "Bridge out."

The doors close and the turbolift awaits a command.

Two men in Science blue enter the corridor at the far end from Kylah and Rangin, talking quietly.

Registered
    May 2013

Her face so close to his, her vibrancy, beauty...what's she doing wasting her time with me? he wonders.

He feels old, but smiles slightly. "Touche, if that's an order." He shakes his head and closes his eyes a moment. "I don't know what I'll do, but...point taken, Nia...thank you." Graham gives Nia's hand a gentle squeeze.

He clears his throat. "But, in the meantime, while you're in command...permission to move Security to red alert. I want all hands on deck, ready for anything to go south dirtside. Or up here."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia backs slightly away just to hold onto the turbolift's handle. "Bridge," she says quickly before returning to Booker. "Crap, you asked me for that before, didn't you, before I dragged you off? Yes, of course, permission granted to prepare however you need. You and your team'll have one helluva big job to do, planetside or here and the Sarafina..."

She concentrates on him, more analytical than romantic. "Tricky. We'll need redshirts in each location, actually. But I suppose Vargas'll discuss that with you. And Singh," she adds belatedly, giving him a crooked smile. "Tough for me to relinquish all this power."

As the turbolift descends, Nia suddenly slips her arms around Booker in a quick embrace, her head against his shoulder. "I also didn't respond to you before--to what you said about us, and me, and..." She closes her eyes. "Well, I didn't reply the way I should've.

"You...you're extremely important to me, too. I haven't cared for anyone, haven't let myself care for anyone like this since... a lifetime ago. And back then it was childish, unrealistic. A girl's rescue fantasy. This is different. You move me, Book. I didn't think I was capable..."

Her face warms, and she steps back so the doors won't open to find them in such an intimate pose. "Um... anyway... Before we go--what names should I be looking out for?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 17 Jul 2019 at 12:55 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The turbolift swiftly carries them to the Bridge, and the doors whisk open. The big chair is still empty; Bennett has remained at Nav. Patel, at Communications, announces, "Lt. Onn on the Bridge."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Noticing the officers in the distance, Kylah inhales and gives Velir a tiny warning shake of her head. Instinctively, she wipes her eyes with her wrist and steps closer to the wall, less visible--so she hopes--if the others only pass by.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The two men pass by without a word, although one nods and smiles at Rangin, who doesn't recognize the man.

Registered
    May 2013

"Marala," Graham says quietly in response Onn. "Marala Gromov." His heart feels like its expansion has to lift a mountain. "Her son is Nikolai."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia returns Booker's expression with one of determination. "I'll remember, Book," she says, her voice low but firm. "We'll get this done."

She turns back to the Bridge. Game face on. Striding out of the turbolift, she smiles at the man at Communications. "Thank you, Mr. Patel." Another grateful look at Helm. "And to you too, Lt. Bennett."

As soon as she sits in her chair--well, it's hers for at least another ten minutes, depending on Singh's plans--Nia nods at Booker again.

"Lt. Graham, proceed with your recommended preparations. And Patel, I'd like to speak with Dr. Villa, Cmdrs. Roble and Cheverez, and Lt. Kendin on the Sarafina--simultaneously, that is--if you can make that happen. But first--"

She raises her voice to make the Bridge crew aware she's talking to them. "I know I've only been away a few minutes, but does anyone have anything new to report?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 20 Jul 2019 at 12:21 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Bennett reports, "No change in our status, Mr. Onn. The Sarafina has kept pace with us and we will reenter NR orbit shortly." The rocky world is growing large on the main viewscreen.

Patel says, "Certainly, ma'am. Visual or audio only?"

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia thanks Bennett, then turns to Patel. "Audio is fine. No need for everyone to stop what they're doing just for a visual." She pauses. "If any of them want a visual for whatever reason, obviously let 'em onscreen."

Registered
    Mar 2012

After noticing the officers, Rangin moves slightly to shield Kylah from their view, while trying to make it appear as just two colleagues in a corridor. He nods at the two as they walk past, wondering who they are and making a mental note for later before forgetting it all when he turns back to Kylah.

“Kylah, look, I have no moral compass to guide me any more than anyone else on this ship. Some would say I would have less of one because of where I am from.” He shakes his head at the irony of the statement. “In some ways, they are right, I’m on no higher a pedestal than you are.”

He shuffles slightly, stepping from foot to foot as he considers what he had just been planning. “But what do you mean, what have other people planned for you to do? Who is forcing you to act, and why can’t I help?”

Kylah cannot fathom what Velir has done in his past to denigrate himself like this. If anything, his moral rectitude is sometimes too fixed, too hard to live up to.

Even if it were not, obviously she can not tell him about her plans, and regrets the instinct to seek his advice. “You know I have obligations to my family,” she says, although for the first time she realizes they have rarely spoken about her background either. Why did she think they were close? Their connection was based on the present, only the here-and-now. Somehow each of them knew not to speak about their lives before they met.

“I… I appreciate your offer to help, but there is nothing you can do. I should not even have asked. It is for a friend… someone I owe. As I said, it is a grave matter, but requires a solution that… you would not wish to help even if I explained it.”

Kylah tries to smile but fails. “If by some miracle everything works out, I might be able to explain, when there is more time--”

Her eyes widen and she jerks herself out of the wistful mood. “Time! I only have a half-hour… less now… I am sorry, Velir, I must--” She reaches for her communicator and--the velcro holder is empty.

Kylah freezes for a horrified second. How did she not notice this? She was just toying with the rough material a moment ago--she could not have done that if the communicator were in place.

Like a fool she whirls around, stares immediately behind her, then the corridor beyond that. All in vain. Then she realizes what happened and can almost feel the blood drain from her face.

She had been holding her communicator the whole time in Ferguson's quarters. Then Ferguson grabbed and pulled her close to his chest. With that vicious gesture he nearly twisted her wrists--and she must have dropped the device. After he flung her away she was in such disgusted shock she could think of nothing but fleeing. And so she left the communicator behind. With him.

“I must go back,” she says in numb horror, looking at the corridor again. “I left my communicator back in the cabin, and I am running out of time--" She starts backing away. "I am sorry!"

Rangin by Rangin, Kylah by me.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin watches Kylah's attempt to withdraw. "Kylah, your cabin is behind me, not that way," he indicates the way she is looking. "Exactly whose cabin did you leave your communicator in, or do you want me to call it, and see who answers?"

She stares at him, though he doesn’t get the sense that she actually sees him. “I know where my cabin is,” she says, her voice possessing a shrill edge Rangin has rarely heard from her. “If you must know, I was…” Her eyes shift downward, then dart back up at him as she flushes. “I was with Ensign Alvarez. I met him at the Captain’s dinner, and we became friends.”

Kylah’s expression is almost triumphant. Rangin doesn’t know if she’s glad to have thought of a lie, or glad to reveal that there’s another man in her life. He’s annoyed either way. "You said you don't have much time, much time to do what? The only thing of importance is about the Colony. Is it that?"

“Yes, of course! I must go back on duty. I cannot take advantage of Lt. Thalen's generosity.” She seems to shrink at her own words.

"Right. Okay. Well, good luck with your problem. I hope Mr. Alvarez is able to help, assuming you’re more honest with him.”

Kylah’s lips part as if she wants to speak, but apparently she thinks better of it. With a brief distracted nod she spins and hurries back down the corridor.

Rangin shakes his head, unsettled. She is in trouble, and while he may like to consider what is going on at the Colony and how he could possibly benefit from it, Kylah looks even worse than usual, if not downright self-loathing. It would be easy enough for him to walk away, there are so many things going on, but dammit, it's Kylah. Rangin isn't sure who is putting her up to this, or why she would be talking to Alvarez instead of someone like Graham.

Graham.

Oh he wouldn't... Well yes. He would guilt-trip Kylah into helping out his friend on the planet. Chances are that the cabin Kylah is racing towards is empty to hide Graham's friend in.

But, Rangin realizes, if his own lottery proposal goes through, Kylah would be in deep trouble for nothing.

Mind made up, he decides to follow her.

Kylah by choie, Rangin by Rangin.
    Last edited by Rangin; 22 Jul 2019 at 09:41 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Patel has soon set up an audio-only subspace conference call with Dr. Villa, the Yorktown's Chief Medical Officer; Cmdrs. Roble and Cheverez, her Science Officer and Chief Engineer; and Lt. Kendin, commanding officer of the Sarafina's prize crew. "Ready when you are, Mr. Onn," he says.

The heavy cruiser and the merchantman are now less than three minutes from Novy Rostov orbit.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

“Yes, just let Lt. Onn know I’m volunteering to stay on board as long as I’m needed.” Nathaniel reports.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 24 Jul 2019 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Spelling fix

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Acknowledged, sir," Patel says. He passes along Dr. Bennett's message at once to Lt. Onn.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Again Nia thanks Patel. It suddenly occurs to her how much she's been relying on him, and on Communications overall today. She thinks better of Lt. Thalen's decision to swap officers and give Kylah a break.

Meanwhile she's also impressed by Dr. Bennett's willingness to stay onboard the Sarafina. Obviously he's stuck there right now, but he could've come back for the main voyage later. Maybe he's chilling out a bit. An emergency like this has gotta make an impression even on a tightass like him.

All this flashes in her mind in the seconds it takes for her to automatically greet the other officers and apologize for interrupting them. Then she continues:

"We're less than five minutes from the planet now. Before handing things back over to the captain--she might not be returning immediately, but just in case--I'd like a final update as we approach. Figured we'd do this together so everyone knows the status across all teams. Knowing each other's current prep situation will also help in coordinating any requests--there's bound to be crossover. And that'll help us give the planetside team an informed estimate on how soon we can start the evac."

Nia hesitates. "Let me know if there's anything confidential you need to report. I can take this down in the Captain's office. Otherwise... Cmdr. Roble, can you start us off, please? Then Cmdr. Cheverez, Dr. Villa and Lt. Kendin--he's currently heading up the Sarafina," she adds for the benefit of those who haven't heard.

She settles back. "Okay, go ahead, Commander."
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 25 Jul 2019 at 05:52 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Blinded by a whirl of conflicting emotions, Kylah moves as fast as she can--her left knee still throbs after Ferguson yanked her to the floor. This same knee was already injured by a fall months ago on OCIII, and weeks ago by her kidnapper's brutish attack on Anubis. It will probably never completely heal. It is as damaged as she is.

Mr. Alvarez is a medical officer, she recalls abruptly. Is the pain in her knee the reason she thought of him when searching for an excuse to stop Velir's questions? Some instinct that being with a friend would sound benign? How relieved she was after the lie sprang to mind! Usually she freezes up when desperate.

She ignores the pain from her knee and increases her pace past innumerable identical doors, first in one corridor, then another. Finally she stops at Ferguson's door, hands clasped as if in prayer.

Dread chills her. He will not miss this opportunity to insult her. Worse, she fears being near him again. If only she had her knives. Or a phaser--that would scare him., she thinks in an electric flash of malice.

With no choice, Kylah places her trembling hand on the door pad.
    Last edited by choie; 25 Jul 2019 at 08:40 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Yorktown's Science Officer says, "Continued scans of the star and ongoing, intensive, real-time interpretation of the results indicate we now have a little less than four to six hours before the rho radiation burst, Mr. Onn. It looks like it's going to be just as bad as originally projected. I've spoken to Mr. Dosmukhambetov," the ship's Chief Computer Officer and, Onn knows, a programming wiz, "and the lottery program is now complete, with full input of the colony's resident and visitor records. It's ready to run when ordered."

The Chief Engineer says, "Our inventory of emergency supplies is complete. Our shipwrights and artificers are about a third of the way done with preparing cots, mattress pads, blankets and other supplies for the evacuees. Public areas like rec rooms, the Gym, cargo holds, etc. are being prepped as living spaces. We'll be ready in time, ma'am."

Dr. Villa says, "We're ready here in Sickbay, ma'am, come what may."

Lt Kendin reports, "The Sarafina is running all right, but nowhere near up to Starfleet standards, Lieutenant. My crew is becoming increasingly familiar with ship's systems and I don't expect any problems either bringing aboard evacuees or leaving for, and proceeding to, Beta Antares IV." The lanky Algolian shudders expressively. "We're trying to do something about the smell, but obviously that won't be a major issue with evacuees who might otherwise be staying down on the planet."

"Come," Kylah hears Ferguson's voice from within.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 25 Jul 2019 at 10:18 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

I'm just going to list all of Nia's questions/reactions for this round, to save time. She'll have one last question once the others have responded, if that's okay.

Nia arches an eyebrow at Kendin's remark. "Have you identified the source of that stench? There's no problem with the air quality, right? And obviously you'll put together a list of whatever necessary inventory and resources the Sarafina''s missing that we might find dirtside. Normally you could cannibalize our stuff, but we'll need everything we've got."

To Roble, she asks: "About the lottery--have Ensign Rangin's suggestions been implemented? I know Dosmukhambetov's a wizard at what he does, but I think Rangin's a resource all on his own. You know his abilities." She shrugs to herself (and if Booker is still anywhere nearby, she'll do her best not to look at him) before adding, "I know my time in this chair is dwindling, but before I leave I'd recommend making him part of the lottery implementation team."

She nods while Cheverez speaks,. "Excellent, sir. Talk of the physical space reminds me... Cmdr. Roble, I was just near the Arboretum and no one was there--and everything looked status quo. Seems to me the specimens can survive being crammed closer, if only until we reach Beta Antares. The Botanists may not like it but we've got to prioritize living sentient beings over plants."

Going back to Cheverez: "Chief, how are things going with the L/S optimization and handling the food rations and water supply? Have you decided whether to lower the rations for crew? Won't hurt us to be a bit hungry for four days."

"All in all, given what Lt. Kendin's team's assessed from inside the Sarafina, and whatever final calculations you've made over here, do you have a definite number for both ships? Including we three non-oxygen breathers? I'll use my Bilitrum canister for the duration."

It'll deplete her supply significantly--and Bilitrium isn't exactly easy to find. But she'll just make do with less until she can get resupplied.

"Oh--and can the shuttles be of any use in transporting a few extra people in suboptimal but still habitable circumstances? Using the shuttles'll also free up some space in the bays."

To Villa: "I'm not sure if Dr, Bennett informed you--" Nia smiles. "--or maybe you're the one who informed him--that he's willing to be the medical supervisor on the Sarafina."

Nia suddenly remembers the quarantined patient. Someone with such medical requirements would be a strain on resources, and a difficult decision might need to be made. Will she even be in the lottery? About to ask, Nia quickly changes her mind. Whatever the answers, she doesn't really want to hear them, and she suspects neither the Bridge crew nor Villa herself want to think about them either.
    Last edited by choie; 27 Jul 2019 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Believe it or not, this is the shortened version!

Registered
    Jan 2018

Following Kylah is relatively easy through the empty corridors of Deck seven. With so many people on duty preparing for the evacuation, these are quiet with only a few around. It's not so much the odd person, it's the distinctive sound of Kylah's running that guides Rangin on. That laboured step, half-step gait she is forcing herself to run, allowing Rangin to pick out which direction she has taken and remain some distance back and two steps behind with only a few glimpses ahead as she goes round each corner.

When she stops, Rangin looks round carefully to see which door she is by. He doesn't hear anything, but can see her standing, sucking in deep breaths and obviously struggling to maintain some kind of composure, even though her stance is that of some wounded animal afraid of what lies ahead of her.

Rangin starts counting down the doors to work out which room she is in front of, and determine who is within.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kendin replies to Onn, "The smell seems to permeate this ship, ma'am. Just about everyone has remarked upon it. We haven't figured out where it's coming from yet - might just be accumulated gunk in the life support system. Our scans show it's no actual health hazard, just an annoyance. And yes, we have a list of needed supplies from NR or the Yorktown."

Roble says, "Yes, Mr. Rangin's suggestions were incorporated into the program, I believe, Lieutenant. I suppose there's no reason he couldn't be part of the implementation team, if the Captain chooses to appoint one. The Arboretum plays a slight but still measurable role in oxygenating the decks around it, and its deckspace is comparatively limited, so the plan was to leave it untouched."

Cheverez says, "Per-person food and water will be reduced, yes, ma'am, where not medically inadvisable. That will be Dr. Villa and her staff's call. The last I heard from the Captain, the shuttles will be kept aboard. They might be needed, and if problems were to develop in the next four days while outside of the ship and stuffed with people, responding to them could be much more trouble than it's worth." He checks his notes. "The most up-to-date figures I have are 1,342 aboard the Yorktown, of whom 1,242 would be regular evacuees, conscious at all times, and 100 would be sedated long-term under Sickbay supervision. The Sarafina can carry another 200 regular evacuees."

Dr. Villa says wryly, "Thank you, Mr. Onn, for letting me know about Dr. Bennett. I'm sure he was going to get around to telling me sometime."

Rangin figures out that Kylah is standing in front of the door to Compartment 7B41. He does not know off the top of his head what that room is, although this section appears to be mostly living quarters.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 27 Jul 2019 at 10:53 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia listens carefully to each response, nodding or frowning to herself depending on what she hears, and thanking the group. She smiles at the news about Rangin's suggestion, and plans to tell him herself. And she has to hide a smile at Dr. Villa's comment about her new surgeon. As generally good-natured as the current Navigator is, Cece still might not appreciate the dig against her cousin.

There's little time left and since they've all been so efficient, the only slight follow-up she has from their various reports is Roble's reluctance to disturb the Arboretum.

Nia loves greenery--there's so little of it back home--but the deference to their needs, especially when it's only for a few days, seems odd. Shoving a few plants closer together can't possibly cause harm to their oxygenation, whatever the amount.

She flexes her tact muscles. "I understand completely, Cmdr. Roble. I wasn't thinking of jettisoning the specimens," she says with a slight lilt of humor. "But surely we need every inch of space, even if it isn't much. If a half-dozen, or four, or even just two people can sleep in there, it'd be worth it.

"Maybe the botanists might volunteer so they can make sure nothing's harmed? I certainly will, for that matter. A couple of extra lives saved is everything. At the very least, freeing up cabin space'll add to the comfort level for a few more refugees. Anyway, that's my pitch, sir. Hope you'll consider it, but I understand that you know best."

She inhales deeply. "Just one more question, for everyone--the most important question. What are your timeframes for when we can start evac?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 28 Jul 2019 at 03:36 AM.

+ Reply to thread