+ Reply to thread
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #6: "Marala"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Onn cannot spot Sasok anywhere in the room.

Sonak nods placidly at her comment about Vulcans. "I understand completely, Lieutenant."

"I'm glad to hear it," Vargas says at the end of Onn's remarks. He takes a sip of wine. "A good officer can inspire an even better team effort. Sounds like that's just what you did."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 17 Jun 2018 at 02:52 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Every bit of discipline Nia possesses is being utilized to maintain her smooth, dignified smile. A challenging task for two reasons:

First, Cmdr. Vargas is being so nice Nia feels taken aback--normally she'd be narrowing her eyes in suspicion, as if circling a temporarily tamed snake that could strike out at any moment. And yet he seems sincere, so she just lifts her glass toward him in gratitude and murmurs an equally sincere "thank you, sir." Also, are you dying? Retiring?

The second reason she's struggling to keep her neutral, pleasant expression is that, in her peripheral vision, it's impossible to miss that Booker and Kylah--who were already standing pretty close--are now mere inches apart thanks to the girl's having stepped into a distance that can only be described as "intimate."

Like, intimate enough that they're apparently about to make out in front of the entire senior staff.

"I've been wondering," Nia says hastily to the other officers--it's as close to a 'blurt' as she ever gets. "To what do we owe the pleasure of this evening? Or are we waiting on Captain Singh to reveal the details?"

And can she please get the hell in here before Princess-in-Perpetual-Peril over there removes what little material is left of her outfit?
    Last edited by choie; 17 Jun 2018 at 05:00 PM.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham is not sure what to make of Kylah's secretive demeanor. He can't help but lean in slightly to hear her better above the background noise in the room.

"Of course...'all of the above,'" he replies. His own demeanor can't help but become more serious. "Is there something I need to look into?" he asks quietly.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Grateful that Lt. Graham is taking her seriously, Kylah leans in as well. She pauses for a deep breath before rushing out: "I was thinking of cameras, sir. That is, I know there are surveillance cameras at high-value locations...the Bridge*, Engineering, the armory too, I suppose--but I mean more of them, placed throughout the ship. Like they were at the spa on OCIII."

Her last words make it difficult to continue to meet his stare, but she manages. Her face is aflame now that she has invoked the memory of what Velir and Mr. Graham observed of her and the vile Jan Švehla on the hotel's surveillance screens.

But as intrusive and shameful as what Velir had angrily related to her all those months ago, it at least served one purpose: to inspire her current plan. The idea has been percolating ever since Ferguson hunted her down yesterday--really, ever since the incident with Mr. Zweller, whatever precisely happened.

"I--It was my thinking that cameras could be placed specifically in areas where there is little traffic," she races on, brushing away some braids from her burning cheek. "For example, my own quarters are at the end of a corridor, near a corner, and I have noticed there are blind spots that make it easy to hide...if... if someone wished to."

Her attempt at sounding casual is utterly unsuccessful--Kylah's fingers are bone-white as they tighten around the wine glass. If she were stronger it would shatter beneath her grasp.

"I do not mean the whole ship should lose all its privacy. The monitors would not even need to be attended all day, if there are not enough officers to be spared for the duty. But just knowing the cameras are there...watching..."

She shakes her head slowly. "In my experience, some people behave as if they may do anything with impunity... and so they do, when there is no one observing them."

Kylah's gaze drops to Lt. Graham's shoulder, no longer able to meet his eyes as she finishes in a whisper: "I know Security officers patrol the corridors, sir. You do your best. But you cannot be everywhere. We both know that."

Swallowing, she backs away. When she does, the sounds from the rest of the room return, filling in what seemed like a veil of silence surrounding them.

Worried that he might feel forced to respond immediately, she murmurs, "I hope you do not mind the suggestion, sir. I understand it might take a while to consider and determine whether it is feasible or not. I just..." Kylah does her best to smile in gratitude. "I thank you for listening."

See setup thread #4805 for my reasoning here.
    Last edited by choie; 17 Jun 2018 at 11:31 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Vargas says, "We've all been so busy lately, and I think the Captain wanted to finally have the chance to welcome our two newest senior staff. It's also a chance to honor the leaders of the mining colonists we're taking to Novy Rostov."

Thalen asks Dr. Bennett, "How are things going in Sickbay? I understand you were able to work out an interesting form of radiation therapy for one of the crew...?"

A steward offers Kylah and Graham a selection of stuffed Sirius grapeleaves.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel gives his cousin Cecilia a squeeze around her shoulders, then nods at Lt. Thalen. Nathaniel casts an appreciative gaze over the good-looking young Andorian. Cecilia wouldn't be trying to set him up, would she? He didn't need help to meet men, but he wouldn't complain if that's what she is doing.

"Things are going... well in Sickbay so far." Nathaniel says. "Yes, I was able to find a workable radiation therapy for Rangin in the few hours I've been on board. It's early days, but I think he'll be just fine. Are you interested in medicine, Lt. Thalen?"

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nope. Not looking at them. Soooooo not looking at them.

Instead of the Booker-Kylah unit--they're close enough that they might as well be considered some kind of fused creature--that she can't seem to block from the keen peripheral vision typical of her race, Nia keeps her gaze fixed on Vargas, utterly fascinated by his words. One would assume.

"How wonderful, Commander," she says with a delighted smile. "I've been hoping to have a chance to speak with some of the colonists. I've read up on Novy Rostov, to some degree, but I'd love to learn more about the miners. Are they here yet, sir?"

She glances around, fervently avoiding the pair at her 10-o'clock position. As she looks, she adds to the chief Science officer: "Oh, and once we arrive there, Cmdr. Roble, will we be performing any experiments or picking up any cargo ourselves?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"A bit," says Thalen, taking a drink from a glass of some amber liquid. "I was very sick for awhile as a child, and I've always had an interest in medicine since then."

Vargas says, "No, they're not here yet. I believe the Captain will be arriving with them."

Roble shrugs a little. "There's nothing of particular scientific interest on Novy Rostov itself, but one of its stars - it's a binary system - has been behaving a little oddly lately. The colony has relatively crude sensors and I hope we'll be able get better and more detailed readings."

"And we have no cargo pickup scheduled," Vargas adds.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 19 Jun 2018 at 10:21 AM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's grateful for the steward's semi-interruption. While glad Kylah is opening up, it doesn't take Sherlokc Homles to figure out she's just telegraphed fear of some kind of bad shit on the ship.

He can't figure out what that would be...other than Rangin?...but something's on her mind...

Graham takes a grape leaf, not entirely sure what he's grabbing, and nods slowly. "Surveillance isn't , ah, typical outside of an active investigation," he replies, "but...I understand your concern." He gestures slightly with his now canape-laden hand toward Vargas and company, and smiles slightly. "Well, now I'd best go pay my respects to the old man--er, Commander."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah has been unconsciously standing tip-toe, trying to get closer to Lt. Graham. With his non-committal response, she falls back upon her heels. It is as if he pressed a hand on her chest to push her down.

She lapses into silence; watches him take the green leaf thing in his hand and gesture toward the others; hears him say he must speak to Cmdr. Vargas.

With a ghost of the smile he requested earlier, Kylah says, "Yes, of course, sir. Thank you. I did not mean to keep you so long."

To the server, she gives an absent shake of her head, then walks slowly toward Mr. Soerjosoemarno, feeling and possibly looking like someone trudging through molasses. On her way, she stops and takes a long drink from the wine in her glass.

The liquid is not as cool as it was, and turns warmer still down her throat, chest and stomach. In truth, she does not like the light-headed feeling that alcohol produces. And yet so many drink to excess, and love it. How is this so? Perhaps one must drink more to get beyond this, to the pleasurable part?

Starting again toward her Communications crewmate, she will stop to deposit her empty glass and pick up a full one.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia perks up at the news of an interesting development with a star, since--for obvious personal reasons--she's always conscious of stellar activity and how it might affect nearby planets.

To Vargas, she continues to smile. "Well, Commander, if there's any need to shuttle the miners down to the colony, rather than a straightforward beam-out, I'd be grateful for the opportunity if you'll consider me." She turns to the two newcomers. "Always try to get my dibs in if there's a piloting job to do," she says with a good-natured conspiratorial grin.

Visible via the side of the Skorr officer's massive left wing, the BookerKylah two-headed beast seems to have split up into its constituent parts once more. Not that Nia is noticing. Far too busy, far too busy.

She focuses on the much taller woman nearby, and--assuming her superior officers aren't talking and she won't be interrupting anyone--she strikes up a conversation:

"Lt. Vielar, I would love to learn about your planet--assuming Skorr is where you're from, homewise? I'm sorry, I don't know how spread out your people are... maybe you're from a colony or some other homeworld..."

She'll also ask Lt. Cmdr. Sonak cordially whether he has any specialty as a Scientist.
    Last edited by choie; 20 Jun 2018 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Make sure Nia shows respect. Shame on SidonianGal for not catching that!

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel put on his most seductive smile, but then they could all be pretty seductive. "Childhood illnesses can have a lasting impact, of course. But I assume all is well. You certainly seem in good health now."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Graham sees that Cmdr. Vargas is with a group of other officers, including Onn, but is not so busy that he couldn't be approached.

Kylah gets a new glass of wine and sees that Lt. JG Ade Soerjosoemarno is now talking to a younger man in blue. The stocky Indonesian man greets the Elasian woman with a warm smile and says, "Hello, Kylah. Have you met Ens. Carlos Alvarez? He's a Medical research technician. I knew his dad on another ship awhile back, longer ago than I should probably admit. Carlos, this is Ens. Kylah, one of our best young officers in Communications."

Vargas smiles and says to Onn, "I don't expect any transporter difficulties, but I'll certainly keep you in mind for any shuttle piloting we might need."

Lt. Vielar says, "My race is Skorr, and yes, I am from our homeworld, which is called Alarel. It is a Class M world, heavily forested, with lower gravity than Earth-normal. I loved living there and still miss it a bit." Her voice has a distinct whistling undertone to it. "As it happens, the Skorr have settled another eight worlds. Of what race are you, Lieutenant, if you don't mind my asking? I don't believe I've met anyone else of your kind."

Lt. Cmdr. Sonak says, "My specialty is organic chemistry, particularly unusual heterocyclic compounds. Do you have any interest in the field?" He pauses and adds dryly, almost as a punchline, "Most people don't."

Thalen nods. "Yes, I recovered years ago, thank you, before I ever even considered a Fleet career. My health is quite good, but I suppose you'll see my charts in Sickbay sooner or later anyway and find out for yourself."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 20 Jun 2018 at 02:43 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah is, to put it mildly, surprised by Lt. JG Soerjosoemarno's generous introduction of her. Her already flushed cheeks burn a bit hotter as she thanks him and greets the younger man.

"I do not think we have met, Mr. Alvarez," she says to the latter, then cannot help a shy laugh. "Well, I suppose you might have seen me unconscious. I have spent more time than most in Sickbay--for someone who is not actually in medicine herself."

She takes a small, careful sip of wine and examines Alverez with interest, trying to recall if she has seen him before, before returning to Mr. Soerjosoemarno. "You do not seem old enough to be a peer of his father. How long have you both been on board the Yorktown?"

Registered
    Apr 2015

"My apologies, Lt. Vielar--I didn't mean to mix up your race and your planet name." Super, Nia thinks irritably. Nice job in looking like a flake in front of three senior officers. "Have you been able to set up a reasonably comfortable gravity environment here? At least in your quarters?"

She quickly explains her Sidonian background. "...And like you, my preferred atmosphere isn't a great match for the ship--I keep my own quarters several degrees warmer and way more humid than anywhere else outside of the Arboretum. Most of the time I'm a little bit cold." A grin softens the implied complaint. "But one makes do, right? At least the cooler air keeps me alert."

This provides a natural segue into Lt. Cmdr. Sonak's question. "Actually... speaking of adapting one's biology to new environments..." Nia glances at Roble with an amused look before returning to Sonak, "your specialty is very relevant to me, sir--it's keeping me alive.

"Sidonia's atmosphere contains a rare non-crystalline form of the heterocyclic compound Bilitrium. As a liquid or gas, Bilitrium is extremely unstable--I'm sure you know that, sir--I think it's one of the three-ring chains, non-aromatic? Er, I may have that wrong... yipe, I really should know that," she says with a laugh.

"Anyway, I would never have been able to leave my system if it weren't for my parents and some incredible Starfleet chemists like yourself. I have a generous tank of what's basically a more-stable synthetic version of Bilitrium, along with the other chemicals I need to breathe.

"The Science team and I keep track of the supplies the ship keeps on hand to produce the compound--in fact, if you wouldn't mind, Lt. Sonak, maybe we can arrange a time to discuss all this? That'll take it out of your hands, Commander," she says to Roble. "You'll be happy of that, I'm sure."

Nia looks at the others with a slightly apologetic smile. "Sorry, no one needs to know this much about my biology. Point is, as long as I 'recharge' overnight with my inhaler every 48 hours, I'm good to go. The synthetic version's not a perfect match, but again... you have to adapt when things matter, don't you?"

She shrugs, finding no other way to sum things up than a quiet: "I guess you could say my career in Starfleet is literally as important as breathing to me."
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 20 Jun 2018 at 08:30 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham approaches Vargas and company at a speed appropriate to the somewhat elegant atmosphere. If there's an opening in the conversation (and, literally, physical space to get suitably close), he half raises his glass to Vargas and says "good evening, sir."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Soerjosoemarno says, "Since the Yorktown was first commissioned; I'm a plankowner."

Alvarez says, "Almost eight months now. How about you, Kylah? Uh, may I call you Kylah? Please, call me Carlos."

"Yes, I've been able to lower the gravity settings in my quarters," Vielar tells Onn. "I find I rest much more comfortably that way."

Sonak says equably, "I am a lieutenant commander and not a lieutenant, Mr. Onn. But certainly, I would be glad to discuss my work sometime. I have not worked with or studied Bilitrium before, however."

Vargas raises his glass in a return salute. "Mr. Graham, welcome. How are you this evening?"

Not long afterwards, the Wardroom doors whoosh open and the Captain enters with two men and a woman in civilian coveralls. As all the Starfleet personnel in the room snap to attention, Singh waves her hand a little and says, "As you were, everyone."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plankowner

Registered
    May 2013

"Well enough, sir, well enough," Graham replies. "I wanted to thank you again for your confidence...and, of course, the Captain as well...ah...there she is..."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah has a vague memory of hearing the word plankowner at some point during her Academy days, but is uncertain exactly what it is. From context she assumes it has to do with the founding of the Yorktown, but more than that...

So she just nods to the older man in earnest admiration--most people are usually satisfied by such a response. She is about to address Mr. Alvarez when she feels a little buzz at her hip. While she widens her eyes in surprise, her hand drops to cover her communicator.

Kylah takes a quick look around the Wardroom. Captain Singh has just entered, which requires her to stand still until permission is given, and once that is done, Kylah can see both her immediate senior officers--Thalen and Cheverez--talking with others. This means it is very unlikely this is a duty-related communication.

Oh! Her gaze drops to her hand at her belated realization. Velir.

As tempted as she is to read what he wrote, Kylah cannot be that rude. She lets her arm fall to her side and returns her attention to the young Medical officer. "Forgive me, I felt my communicator... " Shaking her head, she hesitates before she recalls what he last said. "Yes--yes, of course you may call me Kylah. Please do. No one refers to my full name except ceremonially. And yes, thank you, I would be happy to call you--"

She stops short, because her mind is blank. The silence lengthens in exaggerated seconds that feel endless to her as she stares stupidly into his attractive face. The heat from the wine and her own embarrassment radiate off her while her mind desperately searches for what he literally just told her.

It might be her somewhat tired vision, but he seems very young to her now; she wonders if he too is a recent Academy graduate. Eight months... he would have graduated from the class before hers. It strikes her that there are few from either class on the Yorktown--but then, it is an honor to be posted to a Constitution-class ship right after...

Constitution... wait, was it not something with a c...? Connor, Carter...

His name suddenly hits her and she blurts out "Carlos!" a little more loudly than intended. Embarrassed, she takes another sip of wine. If nothing else, drinking certainly offers one unique opportunities for hiding one's expression. "Carlos," she repeats more softly, tucking her braids behind her right ear.

...And then she recalls he asked her a question. What is wrong with her? "Since December," she says, rushing through the words. "I have been aboard since December. Just three months."

Her mind echoes the words in some wonderment. Three months. So much has happened; so much has changed.
    Last edited by choie; 22 Jun 2018 at 09:46 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia waits until the Captain and the three civilians she assumes are the leaders of the mining crew are settled. Then, relaxed again, she turns and notices Booker has approached.

Nearly every instinct tells her to greet him, but instead, something perverse in her chooses to respond to Lt. Cmdr. Sosak instead. Well, he is a superior officer. "My apologies, Commander--I only caught the first part of your rank. To be honest, I went swimming earlier and I think some water's still in my ears." She gives her right ear a little bonk with her palm, then laughs. "Hazards of wanting to be reborn as a water-dwelling creature.

"Anyway, thank you, sir. I'm always glad to meet someone interested in the topic. Bilitrium is so rare, especially in the non-solid form... most biochemical specialists haven't had much experience with it, since what little of it that exists outside my solar system--or worse, in non-Federation-friendly zones--is almost always used as a weapon, not a means of survival."

She lifts an apologetic hand. "Anyway, forgive me... shouldn't talk shop, much less monopolize you. It's a pleasure to meet you," she says to both Lt. Vielar and Lt. Cmdr. Sonak.

If Nia can corral the nearest server with a tray of empty glasses, she'll deposit her own. And then she'll grab an appetizer to pop in her mouth. She chews contemplatively as, very casually, she turns around to face Booker. If he notices her, she'll smile, of course. But she won't be the first one to say hello. Petty but, well, fuck it. She's allowed.

If he does greet her, hopefully he'll use the right name, at least.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 22 Jun 2018 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Name fixed

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Certainly, Mr. Graham," Vargas says. "It looks to me like you're off to a good start."

The Captain comes over to Vargas and his group with her three guests, and says, "Good evening, everyone. I'd like to introduce you to Alexei Kostoyev, chief miner of the group we're taking to Novy Rostov, and his wife Nina. And this is Gregory Dowd, the assistant chief miner." Kostoyev is a burly man with big hands and bushy eyebrows. His wife is perhaps a decade younger, plain-faced and slimmer, although Onn thinks she may see the hint of a baby bump. Dowd is younger still, dark-haired and handsome in a wiry kind of way. The Captain introduces the First Officer and those with him to the three newcomers.

Alvarez looks at Kylah oddly for a moment and then says, "Ah. That's not long at all. How have you liked your time on the ship so far, Kylah?"

Sonak says to Onn, "No apology necessary. I have never enjoyed swimming, myself. As you probably know, few Vulcans swim unless absolutely necessary."

He and Vielar later both nod in polite parting as the Sidonian woman turns away. She gets rid of her glass and picks up an appetizer - some sort of mushroom puff pastry; it's quite good.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 22 Jun 2018 at 11:42 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah tries to get a sense of what Mr. Alvarez--Carlos--is feeling, but the proximity of several other guests, not to mention the wine thrumming in her blood, probably makes her a poor judge. If she touched Carlos, the empathic effect would be magnified despite the alcohol dulling her senses--that is precisely what happened with Jan. But there were spores involved, she thinks with a shudder as she abruptly lowers her glass.

No. No thoughts like that are allowed tonight. She takes a steadying breath and does her best to smile, as she did with Lt. Graham. "My time here has been educational. Full of... surprises and extraordinary adventures. And I believe I have improved my skills..." After a quick, shy glance at Mr. Soerjosoemarno, she returns to Carlos and tries to think of something entertaining.

"Of course, as I mentioned, I have ended up in the infirmary too many times due to various missions... let me see if I can even recall..." She lifts her eyes and counts off on the fingers of her free hand. "I have been bitten by a slime devil, attacked by genetically altered aliens, paralyzed by a mind-controlling murderer and attacked by his accomplice, stunned and beaten by kidnappers--although that was not on a mission--and most recently, stabbed by a gangster. All in twelve weeks. Surely that must be a ship record."

She attempts a laugh and shrugs. "Still, our teams were successful and met each objective. And aside from some weakness in my left arm, no harm was done in the long run."

Kylah has, of course, omitted the two incidents that have left her with lingering, painful psychic damage. But she would never reveal such things to anyone, much less a stranger, at a dinner party.

"Most of all, I have learned from every member of the Communications team, and hope to live up to their standards." She wears a pleasant, light-hearted affect and lifts her glass to Mr. Soerjosoemarno and then toward the distant figure of Lt. Thalen. After another sip, she peers with interest at Carlos, knowing that most men prefer to talk about themselves.

"But I have spoken too much already. What about you?" she adds with an apologetic smile. "How have your first months been? And were you stationed elsewhere before the Yorktown? If you do not mind my saying so, your youth makes me believe you might be a fairly new officer."
    Last edited by choie; 23 Jun 2018 at 01:40 PM. Reason: straightened things out; Kylah's incoherence is infectious.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel turns away after the Captain greets the room and puts everyone at ease. He hopes she doesn't approach him for idle chatter. He doesn't want her interest to get in the way of what he has in mind.

He grins at Thelan. "I'm glad to hear you're in good health. As for your records, I'd never look at them unless you came to me as a patient or there was a medical issue. Besides, I'd like to think there are other ways I could get to know you."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia closes her eyes for a second or two while she savors the pastry. She's found shutting out sight helps her focus her attention on other senses, taste included. Bravo, A.J., she thinks--if this is indeed her friend's work.

Finished, she pats her fingers and mouth with the napkin and looks around. She's curious about the woman, Nina Kostoyev. If Nia's guess about her pregnant state is correct, how far along is she? Hard to tell with humans, especially such small ones. Maybe three, four months?

Suddenly, utterly unbidden, a long-forgotten but insidious remnant of her upbringing and procreation-focused culture rises within her. Outrage swells in her breast, and some imagined voice--sounding just like one of the creche-women Nia hated back home--whispers in her mind:

How can someone be so reckless to travel, to make such a drastic change in her lifestyle, in her condition? How dare she risk her health--and more important, her fetus's health?

Just as quickly, the thought is gone. Nia blinks and, aghast, hurriedly finds somewhere else to look--the crumpled napkin in her hands will do for now. This flash of judgmental thought has genuinely shaken her. Her fingers tear at the soft napkin, providing some outlet for her confusion and furious self-reproach.

At last she crumples the ball of torn napkin into her fist, then lifts her gaze to find Booker. She doesn't care about playing silly ego-based games of romantic one-upsmanship. Nia needs to be reminded who she is, what really matters, now.
    Last edited by choie; 24 Jun 2018 at 03:10 AM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham nodes as the Captain introduces the newcomers, and, if the opportunity arises, offers a polite "welcome aboard."

If his gaze meets Onn's, his manners fail--rather than a polite smile, he can't help but a wide open expression of how happy he is to see her--a manifestation of a crazy mash up of her successful stint in the big chair, how great she looks this evening, the book she went out of her way to get...

After a second he restores an expression he believe more suited to a formal event and raises his glass. "Nice work in the big chair today, lieutenant."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Soerjosoemarno says, "Excuse me for a moment, please," and leaves to talk to another red-shirted officer who's just arrived.

Alvarez is goggling at Kylah. "Wow, my time aboard hasn't been nearly as... exciting. Mostly working in the Medical lab and sometimes helping in the recovery ward. Somebody in charge must like you, to give you so many off-ship assignments." He adds a little apologetically, "Er, except for the kidnapping. But how are you doing now?" Kylah senses that he is genuinely concerned.

Thalen says to the good doctor, "Are you interested in the arts, music or literature? The Lyceum is one of the best things about life aboard the Yorktown."

Lt. Bennett laughs as she lifts her glass. "Watch out, Nathaniel, I think you're being recruited."

After a tactful second glance, Onn thinks the Russian miner might indeed be three or four months pregnant or so.

Registered
    Apr 2015

For a few seconds, Nia is uncharacteristically bereft of words when she sees Booker's open, sincere smile. Then she relaxes and returns his joy-filled expression with her own.

"Thank you, Lieutenant," she says quietly, then adds with a playful lift of her eyebrow, "It was good to see you on the Bridge. I can hardly remember when we last saw each other before that."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Embarrassed at having revealed too much about her travails, Kylah cannot meet Mr. Alvarez's gaze. She briefly stares down at her wine glass, one finger absently circling the rim, while she composes herself. Then she successfully produces another smile when she again looks at her colleague.

"Why, I am fine now, thank you, Carlos," she says, her tone light. "Fortunately, you have caught me in-between escapades. I have spent so much time in recovery, though, so I am surprised we have not met before." She manages a little laugh. "Perhaps I look different when vertical?"

Registered
    May 2013

Graham can't help but blush just abit at Nia's comment. He clears his throat, glances back at Nia and shrugs slightly, and then turns a bit toward the others and asks "Uh, will we be spending any time shoreside, Captain?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Vertical or horizontal, I think you look great," Alvarez blurts out, then blushes furiously. He stammers, "Uh, no, I haven't seen you in Sickbay. I'm sure I would've remembered."

Capt. Singh says, "Yes, I expect to be able to offer shore leave to anyone who'd like to look around. Otherwise we'll be showing the flag, checking up on the colonists and making sure everything's all right."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 27 Jun 2018 at 01:29 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia’s not sure how to take the very brief greeting from Booker. Maybe he really doesn’t remember my name, she thinks jokily. Her stomach growls in light demand of food while she watches him interacting with Singh. Nia feels oddly proud, noting how natural he seems, talking directly to the ship’s captain.

“Another canape, Ma’am?”

The polite, quiet inquiry appears to come from nowhere--but when Nia turns, she discovers Andy Johnson, looking sharp and handsome dressed in what appears to be borrowed server’s garb. He's looking round the room directing the staff with subtle nods as they move round while holding up a silver service with more pastries on.

The food smells delicious and Nia, relieved, reaches greedily for another mushroom pastry while whispering a rushed blessing: “May-the-Gods-bring-rain-upon-you-and-your-plentiful-issue.” She meets the young man’s pleasant blue eyes with an attempt at one of her usual off-center smiles. “Thanks, Ajay," she murmurs. I’m frickin’ starved. If you’re really my friend you’d just stand here and deposit the whole thing in my mouth.”

Nia nibbles the pastry innocently, but there's wickedness in her eyes as she examines the chef. Normally a set-up line like that would be ripe for one of his salacious jokes--but with the Captain two feet away, Nia’s curious how he’ll handle it.

“You always did enjoy filling yourself with what I had to offer.” An amused and interested little smile plays across his lips for a moment before he looks closer at her and it's replaced with one of slight concern. “You seem a little distracted, everything okay?”

Damn. He’s good. But he’s always been able to cut through the b.s. with her. Finishing a second pastry--well, her third now--she wipes her hands on the fresh napkin. “Yeah... it’s just been a strange 24 hours. I’m not used to feeling so… self-conscious. On edge.” Nia flicks a look over at Booker, then returns to Ajay. “Better not go there. It’s too long and this isn’t the right place.”

This time the double entendre wasn’t planned, but she lets her eyes twinkle at him nevertheless as she continues. “So, do I get to feed you straight lines all night, or are you headed back to the galley instead of the table?”

“I wouldn't define your lines as straight,” he chuckles quietly as he glances down and then back up the uniform. “I came out to check everything was okay. Couple of new staff both sides, but they're doing fine. I'll be going back to the galley, but the door is always open if you need it.”

“Thanks, Aje. So is mine.” Nia tilts her head, her direction casually indicating Booker not far away. “That’s kinda my trouble. Even with plenty of invitations and a wide-open door, my preferred guest’s not coming inside.” She carefully folds her napkin and adds, “I’m not super-worried, but will you, um… let me know if anyone else is playing host?”

“May take you up on that if you feel like sharing?” The neutral glance at Dr T’var is plain on Ajay’s face. “As for your preference, no-one other than himself and his job that I know of.” He looks down at the now-empty platter. “If you will excuse me ma’am, I need to arrange for more guests to be satisfied.”

Her grin now genuine, Nia backs away. “Go, go, Mr. Johnson. Satisfaction is your specialty; far be it for me to hog it all to myself.” She watches, appreciative of her friend's lanky, lean appearance as well as the contrast between his white uniform and jet-black curly hair. Wonder what's up with him and T'Var, though...

Sighing, she returns to socializing with the other attendees. If Nina is nearby, she’ll reintroduce herself (if Nina is anything like Nia, she's probably feeling a little overwhelmed by all these new names, which probably came as a blur) and ask the other woman how long her journey has been--whether they started at Beta Antares or farther beyond.

Nia by me, Andy Johnson by Ajay
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 27 Jun 2018 at 07:24 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Ensign Alvarez's words might have floated by unnoticed--Kylah is lightheaded thanks to the wine. And, too, the chaotic, emotional spillover from all the guests surrounding her acts like static or white noise.

But Carlos's flushed appearance and the awkwardness spilling over from him to her rouses her from her befuddled state.

Kylah's eyes widen and she straightens up. She is not entirely certain she remembers why they are talking about her being horizontal, but it cannot be appropriate. And since this young man seems sincerely at a loss, the blame must be on her.

"Th-thank you," she says, at last acknowledging his compliments. "Perhaps you are right, and we have not met. You would be in a better position to know, since I would not have been... conscious..."

Inwardly she cringes at her vapid talk. She gulps the rest of her drink and deposits the glass perilously near the edge of a nearby table. Determined to smooth things over, she inhales and tries to remember how to be a proper host.

"I do not believe I ever got an answer... or if I did, I have forgotten." Kylah's fingers twist the gold braid of her uniform's sleeve. "Where were you before the Yorktown? Or is this your first posting? If you did answer, forgive me," she adds with a worried look. "I am a little out of sorts. Crowds can be so... daunting..."
    Last edited by choie; 27 Jun 2018 at 07:47 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham nods and purses his lips for a moment. "Making sure everything's all right...yes, ma'am." He glances at Nia, intending to bring her into the conversation, but she's busy chatting with one of the servers--actually, that guy he met outside of Kylah's quarters...the comedian who's actually a cook, or something like that.

He instead inclines toward Vargas. "With your permission sir, if there's time, I'd like to take this opportunity for Security to make a full assessment...Soup to nuts from orbital defense to local crime control capabilities." He adds, glancing toward the colonists, "Not intending to second-guess the colonial authorities, but rather to make sure our planet-side skills are still sharp, and we're clear on whether there's any additional support the colony needs from Starfleet."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nina Kostoyev does seem a little shy, but says, "We left Janus VI almost two weeks ago. We'd been there for almost five years."

Alvarez is obviously glad for the change of subject. "I was aboard the Lagos for a year before assigned here. I was doing pretty much the same thing there, although the Sickbay facilities weren't nearly as good." She senses his concern. He asks, "Are you all right, Kylah? Would you like to sit down?"

Vargas nods judiciously. "That's a good idea, Lieutenant. I don't expect any trouble at Novy Rostov, but it wouldn't hurt to make an assessment, and it would certainly be good practice for the department."

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Janus_VI

Registered
    Apr 2015

Janus VI, Janus VI... Nia's mind bounces the name around a bit until she finally makes the connection. The planet with the silicon-based creatures. Vorta? Horta? She can't remember the name, but that whole situation fascinated her--as tragic as it was, at least when it began.

She tries to balance morbid curiosity with sympathy. "I hope your experience on Novy Rostov isn't nearly as... well, eventful... as things were a few years ago back on Janus VI. How was the crew's relationship with the indigenous aliens when you left? Too bad there isn't one among your new crew, given their natural abilities. Maybe someday..."

Nia will also ask how many colonists are being transported on the Yorktown.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah shakes her head at Alvarez's kind question. "I am fine, honestly. It is just the crowd," she repeats, gesturing somewhat vaguely toward the other guests. "It is foolish... I attend so many events, one would think I would be accustomed to being among strangers by now."

After she hears the words leave her lips, she hastens to add: "Not that the crew are truly strangers. But, well, it has only been a few months, and it is such a large ship with so many onboard. Like you." Kylah blinks up at him, smiling. "As we learned, despite your position, and my many visits to Sickbay, we were strangers. Until tonight."

A few seconds of silence pass until she swiftly turns to take in the rest of the large room. "Perhaps I should make it a point to be introduced to everyone here? Then there would be far fewer strangers, and I would not feel so uncomfortable and afraid as I do."

Kylah scowls. "Of course, just knowing their names is not enough. One must be trustworthy as well. Not everyone is. Oh, but you are, Carlos, I am sure!" Quickly returning to look up at Mr. Alvarez, she finds her head swimming a little bit from the motion. She instinctively reaches for the first thing she can find to lean on, which happens to be his sleeve.

"Forgive me, I must have low blood sugar." Pretending she does not know why she is so dizzy--on the dubious logic that this will somehow ensure that he will ignore the obvious as well--she smiles weakly. "I suppose you are right. Maybe we could sit down?" Kylah loosens her grip on his sleeve, standing straighter in an attempt to restore some sense of dignity. "Unless you would rather be more social with others, of course. I can find my seat by myself."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Mrs. Kostoyev smiles. "You mean the Hortas? Yes, they were pretty weird. I've never seen anything quite like them. They could tunnel through solid rock almost as easily we swim through water. Very helpful, and friendly once you got to know them. They don't like to leave their homeworld, though." She answers Onn's question: "There are thirty of us going to Novy Rostov."

Alvarez tells Kylah, "No, I don't mind." In touching his sleeve, Kylah senses his attraction to her.

Just then Masum Topçu, the Captain's Yeoman, clears his throat. The ramrod-straight Turk says in a voice which carries throughout the room, "Please be seated, ladies and gentlemen. Dinner will be served shortly."

There are small placecards at each elegant setting. The Captain takes her seat at the head of the table, of course. Mr. Kostoyev, as the senior guest, is seated to her right, and the First Officer to her left. Mrs. Kostoyev is on Cmdr. Vargas's other side, and Dr. Villa, the Chief Medical Officer, takes her place beside the chief miner.

Lt. Onn finds herself seated between Dr. Nathaniel Bennett and Ens. Kylah. Not far down the table, Lt. JG Graham takes his place between Lt. Cecilia Bennett and Lt. JG Faith Ngaka, an African woman whom he vaguely recalls is a planetary scientist of some kind. Dr. Bennett has Onn on one side and Ens. Mary Three Crows, a young, black-braided Amerindian woman in Security red, on the other. Kylah is seated between Onn and Dr. Giancarlo Bucci; the plump Italian physician gallantly pulls out her seat for her. Alvarez, assigned a place further down the table, looks briefly regretful as he goes to his seat.

The others take their places as stewards offer drink refills.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Horta
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 02 Jul 2018 at 02:00 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's pleased to See Three Crows at the shindig: she seemed like a solid Security officer on previous missions. If he has the chance, he throws her a friendly nod. He reminds himself to make some time to speak with her over the next few days if he can...maybe offer her a role organizing the on-planet drill...

He's pleasantly surprised to be seated next to Cecilia. He can't help but smile slightly if he catches her attention. "Cec--uh, Lieutenant...seems like it's been forever." He clears his throat. "I hope you don't mind me saying, the way you've, ah, done your hair...if you don't mind me saying it seems very...elegant." He gestures at the servers and the table setup. "Enough so that, uh, even with all this hoo ha Yorktown may need to step up her game to keep up."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Mr. Alvarez's emotions surprise Kylah--but only for a second or two. In a flash she realizes if her head were less foggy, she would have guessed the source of the young officer's stammering and flushes. Now it is her turn to stammer a "thank you" when he leads her to the table.

Guilt bubbles up inside her, although she does not understand why. She is an Elasian woman, someone whose very biology evolved to lure men. Still, when she reflects on her words, her actions... they do make her seem like a silly flirt. And with Velir lying in Sickbay...

But I am not with Velir. Why should I not be friendly, if someone is kind to me? Unlike most men in Kylah's unfortunate experience, Mr. Alvarez--Carlos--does not appear to have any ulterior motives. He seems respectful. Almost certainly not a grabber.

When they approach the table and Kylah realizes they are not seated together, she sends him an apologetic smile--and notices the regret in his own expression. Another twinge of guilt prickles her insides as she remembers the message waiting in her communicator...and who probably sent it.

Such thoughts flee when she spots Dr. Bennett. Oh no, please do not let us be seated together! For a frozen second she hesitates to move forward. A quick check of the placecards rids her of that unpleasant notion, and before she knows it, the amiable Dr. Bucci is beside her.

He pulls out her chair--a custom Kylah has never quite understood, since she is perfectly capable of moving a chair on her own. But she understands the gesture is meant to be respectful, and Dr. Bucci's face is so cheerful she nearly laughs while thanking him.

When the steward suddenly appears with more wine, Kylah hesitates but does not refuse the drink. She might be alarmingly lightheaded and warm, but she cannot deny feeling relaxed--normally tense muscles as loose as a rusted hinge that has been freshly oiled.

Kylah turns back to Dr. Bucci, continuing smoothly. "...And I must also thank you for your help, sir," she adds while adjusting herself in her chair. "With Ensign Rangin. Making sure that he received immediate attention. At times it seems no one believes a word I say, but you did, and... well, I am grateful."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Three Crows returns Graham's friendly nod with one of her own.

Cecilia Bennett puts her hand for a moment on Graham's forearm and gives him a peck on the cheek. "Hello, Booker, and thank you. Congratulations again on your promotion. You look quite good in your dress uniform, although," she adds impishly, "I can't say your hair looks any different."

Dr. Bucci shrugs modestly and says to Kylah, "That's what I'm here for." He takes his seat beside her. "But what do you mean, no one believes you?"

The stewards bring out steaming cups of Pacifican seafood chowder, the first course. The Captain picks up her spoon and tucks in.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 03 Jul 2018 at 01:58 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia has taken her seat, determined to ignore the flood of irritation caused by the discovery of Booker's proximity to Cecilia Bennett--and his all-too-evident delight at this development. Chances Cece wangled this convenient arrangement from the Yeoman? I'll go fifty-fifty, Nia decides charitably.

...Until she spots the navigator's hand alighting oh-so-gracefully on Booker.

Yeah, screw charity. Nia changes the odds to sixty / forty in favor. She might even up it to seventy-five / twenty-five.

Nia's face is a mask of serenity, regardless of the growing frustration inside. At least her view of the lovely duo is blocked by the rotund figure of Dr. Bucci pulling out the chair beside Nia, a bizarrely romantic gesture--which makes complete sense once she sees that the person receiving this gallantry is Ensign Kylah.

Of course it is. The real astonishment is that the seat isn't strewn with scattered rose petals. Her entourage is falling down on the job.

Hoping for a better view on her opposite side, Nia turns--and, yep, there's a better view all right. The new guy. That cheers her up a bit, and she swiftly darts a glance at the placecard.

Dr. Nathaniel...Bennett? This parts her lips in surprise. Are he and Cece related? Nia doesn't want to stare at the doctor--well, she does, because he's absolutely beautiful, but it goes against Nia's policy to drool in front of the crew (unlike a certain new Assistant Chief of Security she could mention)--so she just tries to quickly check his face to see if she missed some resemblance to Cecilia.

Nia then lets her gaze fall back down to her napkin, which she casually removes from her plate. Nope, her first instinct was right. The only things this doc and Cece have in common are dark hair and superior genes. If by "superior" one means "attractive to anyone with good eyesight."

She arranges the soft napkin on her lap and waits until Dr. Nathaniel Bennett takes a seat. Once he does, she'll greet him with a casual lift of her water glass, as if toasting him. "Hi, Dr. Bennett. I'm--"

Interrupted by the soup course, Nia backs up to give the server room to place it in front of her. She thanks the officer and then grins crookedly at Dr. Bennett. "...I'm someone with bad timing," she continues. "On the off-chance you're trying to figure out how to pronounce that name on my card over there, don't bother. Ve'ne'ko'nia'onn is a mouthful for anyone, and I never use it. I'm Lt. Nia Onn, Helm Officer. Welcome aboard."
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 03 Jul 2018 at 10:56 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Before Kylah can answer Dr. Bucci, a server arrives with a creamy-looking soup that makes Kylah think of trips to the Bay during her Academy days.

"I had some difficulty getting the new doctor to believe my observations," she says, hopefully softly enough, and takes a longer sip of wine while she mulls his question further and impulsively chooses honesty. "But it was more than the situation with Ensign Rangin. I have concerns about security. I think there are lapses in safety measures."

Kylah lowers her voice further. "Not just on missions or during conflicts with enemies... I mean on the ship itself. I have made suggestions to Security, but... I worry they were not heard, and nothing will change" She stares into the golden liquid of her glass, her mood somber. "Things have happened on the Yorktown. Terrible things."
    Last edited by choie; 03 Jul 2018 at 11:38 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Bucci looks concerned. "Really? Well, I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything I can do to help? Would you like me to speak about this to the First Officer sometime? You could come with me, or I could keep your name out of it."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's a little taken aback by the kiss. The arrival of the soup gets him off the hook for saying something clever--which is good, because I can't come up with anything.

He tastes it with perhaps exaggerated enthusiasm, risking a glance up to see where Nia is while doing so--she seems to be talking to someone, he can't quite tell.

Just eat some soup without spilling, Booker...

Registered
    Sep 2009

Graham is able to eat his chowder without any embarrassing spills. The dinner is going well, from all he can see.

Ngaka, on his other side from Bennett, introduces herself and says, "Mr. Grant, is it? A pleasure to meet you. You are a Security officer?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

The doctor's mention of Cmdr. Vargas widens Kylah's eyes, and she cannot help turn toward the officer in question--whose intimidating figure is not as far away as she would like.

"Oh... oh no, sir. I do not want... I did not mean to go over anyone's head." The realization of the harm her careless words could do to Lt. Graham sets her heart racing.

Flustered, she looks at the glass in her hand and sets it down clumsily on the table before facing Dr. Bucci again. "I only said that to you because you... well, we spoke earlier, and you have helped me a few times. I just sense that you are..." She runs out of words and does not know how to continue.

The truth is, in some ways, Dr. Bucci reminds her of Uncle Aldaan--the version of the man she once loved above all others. The man who joked with her, who stood up for her against disappointed parents, who consoled her when those parents died. The man who admired her abilities and guarded her secrets like treasures.

Before he turned them into currency.

Kylah inhales, trying to forget the darkness so she can express all this to Dr. Bucci. "I know we have not often interacted," she murmurs with a tiny shake of her head, "But I... I feel I know you. Who you are. And you, me." Her fingertips tentatively graze his wrist as she peers at him. "Does this make sense?"

Registered
    May 2013

Graham sets his spoon down. "Likewise, nice to meet you, too" he replies to the woman amiably. "It's ah, Graham, Booker Graham. Just recently named ACOS....and you?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Upon touching the doctor's wrist, Kylah has an unexpectedly strong psi impression of his mind, and hidden depths there that she wouldn't have suspected. Dr. Bucci doesn't move, but looks at her sympathetically. "Yes, I think so. Sometimes we can feel an affinity, a connection, with someone we don't know all that well. It's only natural. I feel that with you, too, if you don't mind my saying so."

Ngaka nods. "Ah, my apologies, Mr. Graham. Faith Ngaka. I am a botanist. Congratulations on your appointment. How do you like it so far?"

Registered
    May 2013

Graham smiles and shakes his head. "No apologies necessary. So far, so good...I, uh...well, it's a long story but I've held similar positions before. There's a good team here, I hope I can bring some of my, er, gray-haired experience to help ensure we keep everyone safe and sound." After a second, he asks "Do you have any research planned on Novy Rostov?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ngaka is dark-skinned and petite, with a short Afro, broad features and a bright smile. She is not pretty, but has a friendly air that Graham finds appealing. She shakes her head. "No, nothing grows on the surface, and I think the colonists just have the usual hydroponic crops. A pretty boring place for a botanist, truth be told."

When most everybody is done with their chowder, the stewards whisk the bowls away and set down cold plates of crisp mixed-green salads in their places.

+ Reply to thread