+ Reply to thread
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #6: "Marala"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Lt. Lars Dahlquist and Ens. Mikhail Trigorin soon respond; both are on-duty in Main Engineering. Lt. Robert Mille does not reply.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham clears his throat again.

"Ah, it's not a problem," he replies to Kylah. Well, Nia would say it was a problem, but let's not get into that...

He shrugs. "It's my job, in fact...now--" he squints slightly. "Are you...sure you're all right? Is there, uh....something that's bothering you?"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Now that he actually has the information he needs, Nathaniel knows now is the time to make his bridge request. Once again, he taps the communicator on the bulkhead.

"Bridge, this is Dr. Nathaniel Bennett again, give me Ensign Davis, please." He says briskly.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Davis here," at once comes the reply from the Yorktown's Bridge. "May I help you, Doctor?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Is there something bothering me? Kylah would laugh if she could. Is there ever not something bothering her?

From anyone else she would lie to the question, or pretend not to have heard it. But Mr. Graham has done as she begged him, despite their argument. Probably despite having better things to do on shore leave than come to her rescue. Again.

"Yes, sir. There was something wrong," she says in a rare blurt of honesty--but she cannot tell the whole truth now. "There still is. Right now I am afraid for Mr. Rangin, but there is more. Now is not the time to explain, and I do not even know when or how I can...."

She stops, swallows, and takes a step closer to him, looking intently up at his solid, experienced face. "I am afraid, Mr. Graham. Always, now. Since my first mission, as well as down in that accursed hotel, and on Anubis, and--and even on this ship. I feel ill-equipped to protect myself from danger that stalks these very corridors. Or follows me into my quarters."

Kylah moistens her dry lips. "Sir, you once offered to teach me to defend myself, even without knives. I know we have argued and you may have given up on me as hopeless, yet I hope you will still consider helping me. Not some unstated time in the future, but..." She cannot help looking behind her, half-expecting Ferguson to appear, before turning back to Mr. Graham. "But soon? As soon as possible?" She drops her gaze to her feet and says softly, "I am tired, so tired of being afraid. Please?"
    Last edited by choie; 25 Dec 2017 at 12:54 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia grins at the responses on her tiny screen. She enjoys bantering with the gregarious Trigorin, and looking at luscious Dahlquist. Looking, but not touching; even if Booker weren't in the picture, which he totally is, Dahlquist is Hayes's, if Nia's mental roster of Yorktown relationships is up-to-date.

Besides, both are on-point regarding the topics she wants to discuss. Mille would've been good too, given his area of specialization, but she can make do with Trigorin and Dahlquist just fine.

She taps out a quick text: I'm heading your way, if you'll have a couple moments for some tech chat. If not, I'll wait. And in the meantime I'll just watch you guys working and promise not to be a backseat engie.

Sending it along to both men, she heads on to Main Engineering.
    Last edited by choie; 25 Dec 2017 at 03:10 AM. Reason: because I can, mwah ha ha

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dahlquist texts in response, including Trigorin, Sure, Lieutenant, come on down. See you soon.

Registered
    May 2013

Ah, Rangin, shit, Graham thinks, got to go talk to Cheverez...

Kylah's inexplicable concern for Rangin washes over Graham with little impact, since as far as he can tell the scumbag is a vegetable and hardly a threat any longer...

But her comment about the "dangerthat stalks the corridors" hits close to home now that the security of the ship is his responsibility--yes, Vargas is top dog, but on a day to day basis, the ACOS tends to the details...but he's pleasantly surprised she asks for some help he can actually provide.

"Ah," he pauses a moment, "I'd be, uh, happy to." He clears his throat and adopts a positive tone. "And, hey--I'm not just some ugly goon, I'm a highly trained and certified ugly goon, I taught self-defense at Starfleet Academy for a bit." He tries to smile encouragingly. "I'm sure you'll do fine...the fact that you learned to handle knives says a lot, Mr. Kylah. Just like using knives effectively, there's a lot more to smart self-defense than size and brute strength."

"Just let me know when you're ready...next shift change we share, even." He shuffles his feet. "Uh, and about this, ah, 'danger in the corridors,'--I'm ACOS now, so, let's say that these are my corridors. Officially. If somethings not right...."

He realizes there's probably a bit too much heat coming through in his words...during his stint doing law enforcement duty on Terra, he picked up the sense of ownership of one's beat, or precinct, that had hundreds of year's of history...

He smiles slightly. "Well look, I won't make it an order, but please...help me out. Anybody gets into trouble, I'm the one Vargas will hold accountable, right?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah tries to follow Mr. Graham's shifting emotions as well as the words he speaks, but they are like quicksilver, evading her capture. And she does not understand what he means when he calls himself an ace of some kind. Suddenly her mind catches up.

"Acey... wait... ACoS? Assistant Chief of Security? You have been promoted?" She manages a fleeting but sincere smile. "I am happy for you, sir. Oh! I suppose I will now have one advantage on this ship. I am used to calling you 'sir.'

"But you must not call yourself just some ugly goon. You are far from that. I believe--no, I know--that Lt. Collins would be proud that you have succeeded her. You must write her."

The pang of missing her former roommate is unfamiliar, but deeply felt. Her earliest conflicts with Lt. Collins seem so long ago and benign. Kylah has changed irrevocably since they first met.

"I can never be as strong as her--not just physically, but her will." Kylah shakes her head. "It is shameful for an Elasian woman to admit such a failing. But if you do think I can be taught something, then yes, please, I will be grateful, whenever we are free.

"As far as the corridors... I wish I could explain. When I first boarded, I knew the ship would never feel like home to me. I barely felt at home even on Elas. But months have passed now, and things are worse. I never expected it to be so hostile. The ship has changed. Or I have. There is something wrong with me. There always has been, but it is worse now, and I am so disliked. So alone. Once, I at least had Velir..."

Kylah looks toward the Sickbay door and sighs. "I know how you dislike him, sir. I have been angry with him too. I thought him capable of the most horrible things. I held him responsible for--for something that happened to me. But I misjudged him. Very, very badly. It is obscene, that I believed he would hurt me. He would not, he could not. Not that way."

She trembles, tired and cold, and terrified of the future. "We will probably never be as close as we were, but I just hope I have the chance to explain... to apologize. I am afraid it is too late. What will I do if he never recovers, and I am left with this--this weight on me? I felt it with my parents, and my first--a friend, back home. How can I go through this again? That pain... knowing what you should have done, what you failed to say? Wounds you can never make better. Regrets that will never fade."

Shifting her bleary gaze to the man beside her, she remembers what he little he has told her of his family. Her body wavers and nearly leans against him. "I think..." Her voice is hoarse and tentative. "I think you understand."
    Last edited by choie; 27 Dec 2017 at 11:11 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Snapping her communicator shut, Nia practically tosses it into its place on her utility belt as she quickens her stride to reach Main Engineering.

Even more than her fellow Helm officers, the Engineering crew feel like her kinda people, her comrades. Most of them, anyway. The techies, the ones who revel as they virtually dive into the ship's inner depths. The ones who repair and tear apart and install and adjust and experiment and push the limits of what's technically possible...

She grew up with parents like this, she grew into a person like this. Getting her hands grimy (virtually speaking, there's not that much dirt to be found on the Yorktown) is what makes her appreciate the joy of piloting, the impossible miracle of flight.

Because they're the ones who know how to make the impossible come true.

If she arrives without being interrupted, she'll enter and take a look around. She'll smile and greet anyone she knows who isn't too busy, snoop a little to see what others are up to, and then find Dahlquist or Trigorin, whoever she spots first.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Things seem rather quiet in Main Engineering as the Yorktown swings along in her stately orbit high above Beta Antares IV, with neither the warp nor impulse drives needed at the moment. Onn finds Dahlquist and Trigorin together, looking over a data tablet in one of the equipment bays off the large central chamber. They greet her politely. Dahlquist is friendly and open, but Trigorin, she notices, seems a little more reserved than usual.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

"I'd like to get in touch with Dr. Antoinette Shane." Nathaniel requests. "She's a doctor at Holloway Memorial, one of the hospitals on the surface. And I'd appreciate done as quickly as possible."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Of course, Doctor," says the duty Communications officer. "Stand by, please."

In a few minutes Dr. Shane comes on the line. "It's not every day I get a call from a starship. What can I do for you, Dr. Bennett?"

Registered
    May 2013

"I, uh...I'll write Collins," Graham near whispers after a moment.

Wounds you can never make better. Regrets that will never fade.

"We, ah, may not see eye to eye about Ra-- Mr. Rangin," he rasps, but then nods. "But...of course, do what you need to do. Not my place to say otherwise, Kylah" he adds, shaking his head.

Wounds you can never make better. Regrets that will never fade.

He almost repeats the words out loud. He places a hand gentle on her shoulder as if to steady her. He has to close his eyes to get the words out. "Yes, I understand. And I'll have your back."

It's all he can do to hold himself together and simply nod, then let go and head off to find the chief engineer.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Graham's, Kylah's, Onn's and Bennett's communicators, among others, buzz with an incoming text. It is from the Captain's Yeoman: You are cordially invited for dinner with the Captain and senior officers at 1800 hours tomorrow in the Wardroom. Dress uniform. RSVP.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Mr. Graham's support means a great deal to Kylah, but she is distracted by the heavy warmth of his hand on her shoulder.

The touch radiates and reveals his distressing, conflicting emotions. Everything from grief to comfort to protectiveness to bitter, bitter remorse.

Booker Graham's heart bears a tremendous burden. For one instant, Kylah is overwhelmed when it is added to her own.

With a jerking inward breath, she impulsively reaches up her hand to clasp his, needing to console him just as he has tried to do with her. But before she can even brush her fingertips against his, he turns and is gone.

Kylah hugs herself, aghast that she triggered such emotions. Unintentional but selfish. She must make amends to him, if they do meet up later.

But first, she has another apology on her mind. Kylah steels herself and enters Sickbay...

...And feels her communicator vibrate. When she reads the message, she just gives a tiny, befuddled shake of her head.

Another invitation. Another formal dinner. Kylah has a flash of memory: the reception and dinner given for Admiral Hardin. Meeting Mr. Graham for the first time. Sitting beside Velir, reciting the sensual Elasian poem... An elegant prelude to a horrific, violent, soul-destroying mission.

Now she must RSVP for this event. What should she do? Why has she been invited at all? She has earned no such honor, not with her dismal record. Uncle Aldaan must have even more influence than she realized.

She cannot think about this now. Shutting her communicator, she walks tentatively further inside Sickbay, desperate to learn anything new about Velir's situation. Eyes scanning the room, Kylah searches for someone who can give her an update.

Registered
    Apr 2015

"Gentlemen," Nia says with a smile aimed at both Dahlquist and Trigorin, her gaze keen with curiosity--especially at the latter's atypical demeanor. "Hope I'm not interrupt--"

But then she's interrupted by the buzzing demand of her communicator. "Whoops. Great timing." She retrieves the device from its holder and looks up apologetically--if either of her colleagues is doing the same, she might notice. "'Scuse me just a sec'."

The invitation raises her eyebrows. Dinner with Singh? Nice. Nia's always game for a good meal--and an event like this means A.J. will be dishing up something special. Ooh! And with Book's new rank, he'll be there for sure. In dress, too. This prospect makes her grin wider, and she types a quick, appropriately grateful acceptance reply.

When finished, she steps nearer the two engineers and bobs her head to indicate the datapad. "So... everything okay with you guys? Anything worth sharing?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 29 Dec 2017 at 04:08 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Nurse Aram Gadalian is on duty in the Sickbay entry compartment; Kylah has met him before. The beefy Armenian man puts down his datapad and smiles. "Hello, Ensign. How are you today?"

Neither of the Engineering men appear to have received the dinner invitation. Dahlquist replies to Onn, "Not much. We were just reviewing the theta-matrix compositor telemetry over the past month; everything looks OK."

Registered
    Apr 2015

"Good to hear," Nia says with a exhale. "Especially with new tech like that. I know I was obnoxiously dubious when it was rushed into use practically overnight, but..." She folds her arms over her chest, smiling crookedly. "...But I'll say it: the thing's frickin' invaluable and I don't know how we lived without recrystalization. We don't need any Illium-629 piling up--much less anything even less stable. So you got me, guys. I'm a convert."

After grinning at Trig, hoping he'll appreciate her gracious admission of being wrong--or at least he'll cheer up, somehow--she leans a hip against the nearest console.

"Anyway. Reason I'm here is, I've been trying to think of stuff that I might've missed during my sudden takeover of the past mission. Then I remembered a couple of weird issues while I was on watch in the big chair.

"First there was something up with a couple of storage-compartment doors." Nia nods toward the equipment bay behind Dahlquist. "I think they were fiddled with, or at least found to have been mysteriously unlocked. Is that right? Anything ever come of that?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 29 Dec 2017 at 09:32 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah's hands are cold and she rubs them together. She cannot fake calmness, but she tries to be polite. "I... I have been better, Mr. Gadallan, but thank you. I hope you are well, though."

Then she realizes that of course: the Nurse was not merely greeting her. A crew member has just arrived in Sickbay, probably looking ragged and worn out. He must be assuming she is ill.

"Oh... but I am not here for myself," she adds hurriedly. "I was with Ensign Rangin when he... became unconscious, and then later, when he developed seizures. Please, can you tell me if he is... if his condition has changed?"

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's not inclined to answer his communicator's chime, but the fact that he's ACOS now nags at him, forcing him to attend to the present.

He takes a deep breath and reminds himself to get his dress uniform updated for his new rank before then--then continues on.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dahlquist glances at Trigorin as if for confirmation, and says, "I know Security investigated that, but I don't think they found anything. The tools turned up somewhere else, just misplaced, I think."

Nurse Gadalian says, "Mr. Rangin is in stable condition but still unconscious. Dr. Bennett is his attending physician. Would you like to speak with him?"

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia's glad it doesn't seem to have been anything serious. "So, a fuss over nothing, then. Apparently Cmdr. Vargas and his then-ACoS initiated an investigation over a missing stem bolt or whatever." Her low voice is playful. "Well, let it never be said that our Security team takes even a temporarily displaced tool lightly. Keeps us all on our toes, anyway. Sounds like no one ever confessed to being the sloppy engie who left the compartments unlocked, huh?"

She chuckles. "Can't say I blame them. Anyway, the second issue's more concerning. Or at least it could be: the failure of the port nacelle inlet flow sensors. Does that ring a bell to either of you? Not just one, but two failed. ML09, then ML10. Or... um... maybe it was the other way around, I don't remember.

"Doesn't matter. What struck me as bizarre is that those IFSes should be good for at least five years. But both were under a year old. At the time I thought maybe we'd gotten hold of some duds from a bad lot, so I checked to see if there'd been reports of other defective IFSes from other ships, or even a recall notification we somehow overlooked. Nope to both."

Nia lifts her shoulders, not hugely concerned but also not satisfied by the atypical failures so early in the lifespan of devices issued to a Constitution-class ship.

"Honestly, if it had been just one... or if the problem hadn't come right on the heels of the Mystery of the Unlocked Storage Lockers... I doubt I'd be thinking twice. But you know how it is. One equipment failure is an anomaly. Two is a potentially dangerous pattern." Her eyes widen with exaggerated worry. "Please tell me that we haven't got to three yet. Has the latest little guy been acting up?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

When Nurse Gadallan suggests speaking to Bennett, Kylah nearly demurs, but her urgent need to learn more--and possibly even to help--changes her mind.

"Yes, please... if Dr. Bennett is not too busy. I would rather wait than interrupt him. I tried to explain some of Mr. Rangin's unusual medical issues, and of course I was there when the incident occurred and might have information that could have been of use, but the doctor did not appear to listen. He seemed very..."

She is not sure how to share her opinion of the new Yorktown doctor, and indeed perhaps she should not. Then her mind comes up with something that is, hopefully, diplomatic. "...He seemed very focused. Which is good, of course," she hastens to say. "I would not want it otherwise."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dahlquist says, "No, ma'am, fortunately, there hasn't been a third failure, but that's a good question. We did a Level-1 metallurgical scan of the failed IFSs and found some unusual casting impurities in each. We checked the other twenty or so in the ship's spare-parts inventory and found another four with the same problem. Chief Engineer Cheverez notified Starfleet Engineering, and last I heard, they were taking it up with the manufacturer. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a Fleetwide advisory about it soon."

Nurse Gadalian says with a wry smile, "So I've heard, and likewise. Just a moment, please." He hits the comm button on his desktop. "Dr. Bennett, Ens. Kylah is here and would like to have a word with you at your convenience about Ens. Rangin's situation."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham contacts the Bridge to ask Chief Engineer Cheverez' location , intending to check in with him about investigation of the Rangin orbital skydiving incident.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Chief Engineer is in Main Engineering, Graham learns. It is a short ride by turbolift.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel explains in detail, just in case the woman has any trouble grasping things, the situation with Rangin.

As he explains what he needs from her, he sees a message come up on his communicator. He looks at it, and shakes his head in annoyance. Dinner with the Captain and the senior staff. Dammit. No thanks. Nathaniel has no patience for the social events that were part of being in Starfleet. It is all so tiresome. The only kind of socializing he enjoys is the one on one kind in the sack with a hot guy (or more than one, he was no prude). Nevertheless, he has to attend. It wouldn't be a good look to piss the Captain off so early in his tenure on the Yorktown. There is plenty of time for that.

Besides, as much as he disdained having to do so, he did need to get to know the people on board this ship. Finding what or rather who he is looking for is the reason why he'd taken this assignment to begin with. And now is a good chance to kick off his mission. So as he finishes his explanation to Dr. Shane, he sends a reply text, being the expert multitasker that he is. He'll be there for dinner. And it wouldn't be all bad, he realizes. He looks damned good in his dress uniform.

"So, Dr. Shane." Nathaniel says, having completed his explanation. "Will you be able to help me or do I need to look someplace else?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

While listening, Kylah inwardly winces at Nurse Gadalian's phrasing. From what little she remembers of Dr. Bennett's demeanor, she does not think he will react well to any request that does not include at least one "please" and a couple of "sirs."

But she takes a deep breath and holds it in an effort to calm down, clasping her hands behind her back as she waits for the doctor to reply--assuming he does.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Relieved, Nia nods appreciatively at Dahlquist's description of their detailed investigation. "Nice and thorough! Glad you caught the problem before those duds caused anything worse than just a blinking 'malfunctioning' light. I hope Starfleet puts the manufacturer on notice for shipping out so many crappy devices."

Casting a quick, casual glance around, she notices Cheverez for the first time. How'd I miss that he was here? My situational awareness needs some work!

She shrugs and returns her attention to the two men beside her--especially Trigorin, who's been noticeably and quite uncharacteristically silent. "Did you guys have a chance to go dirtside today? I spent some time there this afternoon. Nothing thrilling, just lunch and a walk around a park, but it's good to be in the fresh air. With things so slow here, I guess most of your department's still taking advantage of the free time?"

Registered
    May 2013

Graham takes the turbolift to Engineering.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Captain's Yeoman promptly acknowledges the good doctor's RSVP. He sees he has a voicemail waiting, too.

Dr. Shane says thoughtfully, "I've never dealt with that kind of radiation before in a clinical setting, but I think we might be able to help. I'd better talk to some of our tech staff. Hmm. Did you want to have your patient admitted here, or would you like us to create some kind of secure traveling container for the radiation source, for you to take aboard your ship and treat him there?"

Dahlquist smiles. "Yes, thanks, ma'am - we both had a chance to go down below. Nice planet, I thought." Trigorin nods.

Onn sees Graham enter Main Engineering through the main doors off the outside corridor, just as she had. Across the cavernous compartment, Chief Engineer Cheverez also sees him, and raises a hand in greeting.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel wonders what the voicemail was about. Probably something else to annoy him. He has to wait until he finishes this call to get to it though.

"As he is my patient, I'd prefer to conduct his treatment on board." Nathaniel says. "It would make sense so he can continue getting the best possible care."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham does a small double-take when he realizes Nia is in Engineering as well, but recovers enough to return Cheverez' wave.

On his way toward the chief engineer, he detours close enough to be within speaking distance. "Lt. Onn," he says, nodding slightly. "Always nice to see you." He (mostly) suppresses a smile.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Shane says dryly, "Well, I'm sure you have a fine shipboard infirmary or whatever, but you'll forgive me if I say he'd get 'the best possible care' in a large, modern, fully-equipped hospital like this one. But OK, I'll talk with my tech people. I'm sure we can work something out. What sort of timetable are you on?"

Registered
    Apr 2015

The more silent Trigorin is, the more determined Nia gets to unlock the treasure chest that is his usually gregarious mouth. She starts to speak when another familiar voice reaches her.

Booker? Turning, she blinks in pleased surprise. "Likewise, Lieutenant," she greets him pointedly, lips quirked in a smile. Nia can't fathom what he's doing in Engineering--until she vaguely remembers his mentioning something about Cheverez back in her quarters.

Oh. Right. Crap, I hope he doesn't think I'm stalking him or something.

After letting herself enjoy the view for a few seconds, she nods at him, knowing he has to focus on the Chief for whatever they need him for--too bad she's not close enough to hear what that's all about, though. Then she returns her attention to the techs.

"Glad to hear you enjoyed yourselves. Because, Trig, I hope you don't mind my saying, but you look like you ate some bad seafood." Nia's smile turns sympathetic. "Anything I can do to cheer you up?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 06 Jan 2018 at 04:52 AM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham returns Nia's nod, thinking that he could get used to being called "lieutenant" (...well, again...).

Then he heads toward the chief engineer.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ens. Trigorin smiles unconvincingly and "No, thank you, ma'am. No seafood today. I'm fine."

Cheverez says, "Mr. Graham, isn't it? I heard about your promotion - congratulations. Welcome to Engineering."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham nods respectfully. "Thank you, sir. I...it was a, ah, pleasant surprise, I guess I'd say." He clears his throat. "Especially now that I am ACOS, I wanted to make sure you--and the medical team--have any support you needed from Security investigating the, ah, incident with Mr. Rangin."

He pauses a moment. "And if you don't mind me saying, sir, while were talking face-to-face I'd like to offer my highest praise for Chief Nguyen. That was some amazing work with the transporter."

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

Nathaniel bristles at the suggestion that he couldn't care for his patient better than anyone.

"As soon as possible." Nathaniel says. "I'm ready. How soon can you be?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Thank you," the wiry little Filipino man tells Graham with a grin. "I've already recommended Chief Nguyen to the Captain for a commendation; it's well-deserved. I'll tell him what you said, too. As for Mr. Rangin, though, it was a suit malfunction. Very odd." He repeats the information already given to Onn by Dahlquist.

"Give me, hmm, maybe three or four hours?" Dr. Shane says to Bennett. "I'll make it a top priority. We should be able to come up with something pretty soon."

Stegodon
    Registered
    Jun 2017

"Then I'll expect to hear from you shortly." Nathaniel says and ends the transmission.

Well, Nathaniel thinks, hopefully Rangin will soon be on the road to complete recovery.

Nathaniel then turns his attention to the voicemail on his communicator. He calls up the voicemail and hopes he isn't about to have some fresh hell to deal with.

Registered
    Sep 2009

He hears Nurse Gadalian's message: "Dr. Bennett, Ens. Kylah is here and would like to have a word with you at your convenience about Ens. Rangin's situation."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham frowns and rubs his chin as the chief engineer describes the--at best--odd string of events.

"Well," he says, after a moment. "I'll, ah, review Collins' notes, if there are any, and--" he scowls. "If I were Vargas, I'd expect me to do a thorough review and come up with my own point of view as the new ACOS on where we stand in terms of safety and security...I'll take this into serious consideration."

He clear his throat. "I don't want to take up more of your time than necessary...as long as you don't mind if I follow up anything that seems worth attention with your staff, I'll let you get back to your work, sir."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia's mouth tightens and pulls slightly sideways. "Mmm." She glances at Dahlquist, silently wishing he'd back off for a second so she'll have a chance to talk to Trigorin alone. Of course, considering the two men are on duty--and she's already poking her nose into a department that isn't even hers in the first place--she wouldn't be that ballsy.

Oh screw that, sure I would. At least I would If I was closer with Trig. But she's not super-close with him, other than sharing some good laughs. Still... she doesn't like seeing someone looking so darn uncomfortable.

"Glad to hear it. It's been a while since we caught up... if you wanna meet at the Mess for a cup of coffee, I'll be there. And I'll have my ears with me." Nia smiles at him with a little extra pointed sympathy, then changes to a lighter mood and addresses them both.

"All right, well, I don't want to interrupt your work. I'm still free, though, and I'm in a techie kinda mood, so... do you need an extra hand with anything while the rest of the gang is off playing?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Chief Engineer nods and says to Graham, "Of course. If there any further developments, I'll let you know."

Dahlquist smiles. "A 'techie kinda mood,' eh? I get those all the time. Well, let me think... have you ever cleaned and reinstalled deuterium chiller vanes? It's a rollicking good time, let me tell you."

Registered
    Mar 2012

The longer Kylah waits for the doctor, the more anxious she gets. Perhaps he is occupied with Velir's situation? It might have gotten worse. Nurse Gadalian might not be aware of some new development...

I must not be hysterical, she vows. The first time she saw this doctor, she was barely in control of herself. His distaste toward this display was palpable, especially to Kylah. Barely five minutes and she already earned his contempt. Perhaps a new record, even for her.

Kylah bends her head and covers her eyes, weary. Can she redeem herself? She should not have to. A doctor must have experience with fear, with worry. Surely he cares about his patients? He must understand that they...at least, some of them...have friends, loved ones, colleagues, who are justifiably concerned.

I will have to be careful. I will let his emotions guide me. As bad as Kylah's experiences have been with human males, she knows one thing: if she concentrates, she can sense them quite easily. If this Dr. Bennett meets her face to face, she will do everything, anything, to measure his mood and taste, and make sure she adjusts her behavior accordingly.

And she only wishes to be of service, to assist him in his goal of saving Velir. The man is arrogant, but perhaps he will see that listening to her might bring him greater success--a triumph. How can he not approve of that?

She might not make a friend; that is clearly not her strength--and from what little she sensed of Dr. Bennett, friendship might even be beyond this stranger's capabilities as well.

Just let me not make another enemy, she prays, squeezing her eyes shut. I cannot bear it. Please, not another enemy.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The nurse says kindly, "Would you like to sit down, ma'am? May I get you something to drink?"

Registered
    Apr 2015

Chuckling, Nia lifts her left hand and flutters her fingers. "My dear Lt. Dahlquist, if you look closely, you'll see a pair of scars where I, as a mere lass of eight, learned the first lesson of scrubbing out a centrifugal inlet flow vane. Y'know, making sure no one else is around to accidentally turn the damn compressor on."

She grins ruefully and examines the almost-invisible ridges on her long, otherwise smooth index and middle fingers. "At least my scales kicked in and protected me from amputation. Point is, I learned how to do that stuff at an early age. Admittedly, our machinery was, um, less advanced. My parents only had liquid coal to power their airships. But we poor Sidonians had never heard of deuterium, much less knew a way to collect or use it to help power a warp drive.

"Besides, you know I consider scuttling my way around nacelles, antimatter stream coils, deuterium tanks and every other part of the ship my idea of a good time. I hardly need to prove my tech cred." Her eyelids lower to a flirtatious half-mast. "Nor should I have to refresh your memory of my physical flexibility. Rumors should suffice."

Swiftly changing to a bright, all-business manner, she claps her hands on her hips and cocks her head. "So? Assign me, Lieutenant." Then she nods at Trigorin. "And I'll see you in the Mess tonight for that coffee?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah jerks her head up, hands curling to clasp one another in embarrassment. She did not think the nurse was still paying attention to her. "Oh, no, no thank you! I mean--yes, I will sit, I should be out of your way anyway. But no water. Thank you," she repeats weakly as she backs up and sinks into a seat.

+ Reply to thread