+ Reply to thread

Thread: Well...

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Well...

Between Brexit and Trump, it's kind of apparent that the smart folks aren't getting what's going on.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Truth

Registered
    Sep 2009

I went to bed around 11 on Election Night with a sinking feeling, given the coverage on CNN, then woke up a little before 5 and checked the news. I was horrified to see the result. Donald Trump is fundamentally unsuited to be President and I suspect his administration will be a disaster. I still love my country, and I treasure American democracy, but I can't help but think that the voters - as reflected in the Electoral College, at least - got this badly wrong.

We all need to take a deep breath. The United States has survived bad Presidents before, and we will again. This remains a great country and we will get through this. Have courage and don't lose hope!

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, for the first time in three or more years, I plugged an "antenna" into the FM slot in one of my receivers and listened to the news "in real time."

And, for the first time ever, at around 1 PST 09-nov-16 (one in the morning on Tuesday, after daylight saving change) I heard DT speak, instead of just reading the results in newspapers.

To my surprise, I felt emotionally engaged in following local and national election results.

My thoughts a few days later are that in the 19th C, the US had some terrible people. Millard Filmore is the only truly terrible person I could think of, but of course he wasn't elected. This is not a "me too" to EH's comment, it is exactly what I was "thinking" to myself yesterday.

The emotional response on my part surprised me, although it shouldn't have, given my casual readings over the years of people like Goffman and Lakoff and so forth.

This is an exciting time, and frankly, I think my own unabashed (i) basic contempt for hipsters and millenials (ii) sexism (iii) fondness for vulgarity might be somehow responsible, in a trickle-down sort of way, for what will be an amusing n-number of years.

I was playing some little folk tunes on the piano, while listening to DT's virtual acceptance speech/crowd-pleaser, and I wish I could remember what medley of tunes I was going through. Definitely A major, I remember that.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 10 Nov 2016 at 02:27 PM.

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

I think American Idiot is in A major...

Just had a listen. The verses are A mixolydian, the prechorus is straight A major.
    Last edited by Trojan Man; 11 Nov 2016 at 04:50 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Eh, I thought about adding a little thing to that. To the effect that "Don't take what I say about keys seriously, because that's just my mood."

Meh, I happened to have been playing in A, especially the Bourée from the English Suite in A, so that was my "key" for that thirty minutes or so.

I think I'm I pretty much studly piano guy for playing in A and D.

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

You could do Eurovision style half step modulations from A up to D. Or if you're following jazz theory, there's prolly some crazy order of modulation like 5 4 5 b3 6 2 5 or something.

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Jazz theory" is for weens.

Bach was a man. Just like an American man. Always winning. Proud and white man always winning.

+ Reply to thread