+ Reply to thread

Thread: The UK Referendum

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default The UK Referendum

Well, here we go.

Over the next 24 hrs, the UK will decide whether it wants to stay in or leave from the EU.

There has been a lot of nasty campaigning from both sides, not much in the way of facts and figures just lots of rhetoric and ill-feeling from both sides.

I'm guessing most of the planet is curious to see which way this one is going to go and to be honest, no-one has any idea which way it is going to go. The polls have swung one way, then another and it's likely to be down to who can get their vote out.

And now we just have to wait until Friday morning to see what the result is.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It's interesting. Here in Canada, it's kind of like the Trump campaign: the elite media is firmly anti-Brexit, as it is anti-Trump, so it's hard to get a feel for what people on the other side are thinking.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I really hope the UK stays in the EU. The EU isn't perfect and could certainly use some reforms, but it'd be better for the UK to stay, and better for the US, too, I think. President Obama agrees, FWIW: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...or-trade-talks

Registered
    Feb 2009

There is no doubt that the UK staying in the EU would be good for an awful lot of people outside the UK. It would remove all that uncertainty and doubt that big businesses and countries hate, not to mention that if we vote out, lots of other countries are going to ask if they can do the same. As for the EU reforming, their instinctive reaction to any change is closer integration, which is antipathy to the average UK person.

It's a shame the campaigns have been so bitter though.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Holy crap...we voted out!

Registered
    Jul 2013

"If only there were some way to speculate on currency..." --Me, on FB a few days ago.

There will be immense disruption, of course, but the UK has never been a part of Europe, culturally and politically, basically, since forever.

They're about as European as Russia or Turkey.

I, for one, see this as the beginning of an amusing experiment. Being a yankee, though, I don't have any interests like those of the Commonwealth nations.

"Amusing" meaning not necessarily good, but on the order of someone like Trump or GW or Andrew Jackson being elected president of the USA -- genuinely ridiculous, but amusing nonetheless.

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    "If only there were some way to speculate on currency..." --Me, on FB a few days ago.
    Care to explain this?

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by Trojan Man View post
    Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    Care to explain this?
    Sure. It's not a developed idea, but, in general, when currency markets go up/down, and especially when reversals are predictable, it's a no-brainer to speculate. Doesn't really matter, as an investor, what political/social effects -- but it's like a golden ticket for cold hard currency-moving.

And, yes, the UK is, at least in my assessment as a regular joe, and has never been considered a part of Europe. Western Russia and Turkey have about the same cultural ties to Europe (by which I mean continental Europe, of course, but IMVLimitedKnowledge, that's sort of the gold standard, as it were).

Registered
    Feb 2009

Who needs Game of Thrones - let's just watch the UK political parties attempt to destroy themselves in even more spectacular ways.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Very sorry to see the vote go the way it did. Hope the worst predictions about Brexit don't come to pass. Appropriate that Cameron resigned, I think, and now Labour leader Corbyn looks like he's in trouble, too.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pro-Brexit leaders are already backpedaling on some of their promises: http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/27/news...ses/index.html

Registered
    Feb 2009

Holy Crap - this is some fun politics going on.

I wasn't sure we could top the referendum, but we somehow managed it.

+ Reply to thread