Closed thread
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #5: "Of Captains and Capos"

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins comes back in the room just as Morris is answering Rangin's last question. Oh HELL no! "I'll take the suit and tie combo, thank you." she tells Rangin and Morris. "The dresses of the time don't have much to them, let alone places to stash phasers and communicators." She takes her pony tail and wraps it into a tight bun "and a, what did you call the hat? a boater? will hide my hair. With your approval, of course, sir." she tells Rangin. It feels odd to call someone of a lower rank sir, but he is the mission commander. "In the meantime, while the corridor is still clear, permission to do a little recon, see what I can find."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah's eyes open wide at the sight of the Starfleet uniforms. "Lt. Morris," she blurts, speaking over Collins's words slightly. "Can you come to the window immediately? There are two people wearing our uniforms. Do you recognize them?"

She does not dare look away, not wanting to miss where they are going. "Considering how imitative this culture is, might these be people who have emulated our uniform style? Or could they be the captors?" She remembers her own uniform theft back on Anubis, and though it likely has no bearing on such a distant planet, she shudders at the thought that these might be the villains having stolen and now wearing the crew's own clothes.

"And Ensign Rangin, sir," she adds, "Permission to request clothing as soon as possible. If these are not mere trend-followers, we should follow them. I do not care what I wear, as long as I fit in. I--I do not think I would pass for a male very easily."

Kylah does not think Collins will, either--she may be tall and less curvy than Kylah, but her face is pretty and her figure undeniably female. But Collins seems so extraordinarily bent on avoiding something that highlights her femininity, so she must do as she feels comfortable.

As far as where to put her belongings such as her phaser and communicator, Kylah notes that women of this era seem to have purses around their shoulders. Likely that is where they put their own weapons or other items.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It takes a few moments for Rangin to realise that when Collins directed the question about the clothing it is to him and not to Lt. Morris who is, of course, the higher rank and who Collins would naturally defer to. The considering her request something else does occur to him, that the local populace might have their own ideas.

"Perhaps it may be a good idea to find out if a lady wearing a suit is acceptable with the people around." He is about to give permission to scout around, when Kylah calls them across. "Good idea Mr Kylah, please let the Yorktown know. Conservative and non-descript would probably be better than something noticable."

He then gestures Lt Morris to the window to look outside. "If you please, sir," before turning back to Collins. "One moment, ma'am, let's see who it is outside."
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham gestures to Collins. "Hey L-T." He points toward the window. "Can your tricorder pick out whether these two bogeys in Starfleet uniform have real-live communicators or other gear on them, beyond just the threads?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Morris says skeptically, "I haven't ever seen any woman here in a suit and tie. Attire in this era of Earth history was very gender-specific. I think you'd draw a lot more attention to yourself among the natives that way." He goes to the window and looks out; his eyes widen. "Starfleet uniforms, on Iotians? That's a first for me. And why would they start now?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah looks at Morris, then back down at the street. "Then you do not recognize them, sir? Is it possible..." She frowns. "Could they have started some kind of new form of idolatry, for lack of a better word, without your knowing it? There are only five of you, after all; you could not be expected to know everything of this society. And there was that communicator left behind. They are unlikely to have replicated the technology in so short a period of time, but such a device would seem almost magical to them. And those who were known to possess such technology, the Enterprise crew, might very well have inspired fear and admiration... and aspiration. Maybe that is why they captured the others, Lt. Morris, just as they did with Captain Kirk and the rest."

She excuses herself to quickly contact Lt. Thalen. "Sir, I do not know if there is a repository for historical clothing, either for theatrical productions or for any other purpose. But if there is, we need era-appropriate wardrobe. Captain Singh will confirm that we discussed this earlier. The era in question is Earth's 20th century, the first quarter, I believe. We will need three men's suits, fitting Ensigns Graham and Rangin, and Lt. Garcia; and two women's garments, for me and Dr. T'Var. There is some... debate... regarding what Lt. Collins feels comfortable wearing as a security officer in need of free motion." Kylah hopes she is being tactful. She has worn dresses all her life, as do all Elasian women, who are known to be deft warriors. I suppose it just takes getting used to. And as there is no time for that, Lt. Collins is not comfortable with a learning curve.

"If possible, please include purses in the female outfits, since we will not have utility belts available to us. If such era-appropriate items are too small, choose something from the nearest era that will suit. We will just have to claim to be following a new fashion. And..." Kylah darts a look at T'Var, then lowers her voice. "Perhaps a headband to help hide Dr. T'Var's distinctive non-human traits?"

As she waits for Thalen's response, she glances at Graham and Collins to see if she has asked for everything correctly.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins moves closer to the window to scan the strangers down on the street. She hears Kylah discussing clothing again Ugh! Why is that still an issue? They know we're not natives. And almost everyone here can handle themselves in a scuffle. Then she remembers, that according to the reports, Kirk and Spock got further with the bosses when attired appropriately. But women of that time were mere decoration, and she cannot reconcile herself to that role.

She looks at the tricorder to see what it says about the strangers' clothing and accessories.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Morris scratches his head. "It's possible, I suppose. But why now?"

Thalen responds, "Understood, Mr. Kylah. I'll pass that along to the Wardrobe Section. Stand by."

Collins's tricorder scan shows that the Iotians' clothing is made of a local variety of cotton, not duryon, as actual Starfleet uniforms are. They have on their persons small metal and plastic objects, but not phasers or communicators.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Okay," Collins turns to tell the others, "they're wearing mock ups made from local fabric, and they do not have any of our tech on them." She lets the tricorder again hang at her side. "If I have to wear a dress, it had better be more than a handkerchief with fringe and straps," she states definitively.

Registered
    May 2013

"I think fringes would look good," Graham offers with obvious mock helpfulness.

He then gestures toward the window. "If these are some random locals adopting Starfleet attire they could have just painted targets on their back for whoever kidnapped the CAG. It would make a lot of sense to follow them." He pauses a moment. "Or warn them."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Morris smiles at Collins's declaration, and says, "Local fashion for women is definitely more than 'a handkerchief with fringe and straps.'"

Garcia nods at Graham's comment. He asks Rangin, "Your orders, sir?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Follow them sounds like a better option" says Rangin.

"One team for that and the other to look over the quarters and see if anyone has tried get in.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"May I suggest one Security with each team?" Collins says respectfully.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Makes good sense," Rangin agrees with Collins. He turns over in his mind the permutations and winders if he can ever come to a simple solution of the people he can trust or people he needs to keep an eye on. Not to mention that they need to be capable of carrying out any action.

He considers ordering Kylah to come with him and sending Graham off if only to have him blow a gasket giving Rangin the opportunity to send him back to the ship...but that would be counterproductive. But there is no way he us letting Graham lead a team.

He turns to Dr. T'Var. "Ma'am, can you take Lt. Morris with Mr. Graham and Mr. Kylah and check out the area the CAG were using." Then he turns to the others. "Ma'am, sir. We will be following those outside." he says to Collins and Garcia before his final request to all of them. "Any questions?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"As is, or wait for appropriate clothing?" Collins dreads the idea of not being able to move as freely as her uniform allows, but she will do as the mission leader decides.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham appreciates that Collins was Janey-in-the-spot suggestion what ought to be obvious to a mission leader but might not under present circumstances--without he himself having to say it, which would only invite god knows what kind of petty reaction.

Then again, maybe Rangin's back in the mode of showing everyone how sensible and mild-mannered he is, Graham realizes.

That theory is bolstered when he puts T'Var in charge of one team--which includes Kylah to boot.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Morris looks at Rangin and awaits his answer to Collins's question.

Kylah notices that the couple on the opposite sidewalk in Starfleet uniform are nearing the end of the block.

Registered
    Mar 2012

"I am about to lose sight of them," Kylah says, her hand touching the window as if that will prevent the strangers' movements. She lifts her communicator up again. "Kylah to Lt. Thalen. Sir, do you have an idea when we will receive the wardrobe? I do not mean to push but we need to leave the building as soon as possible."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Stand by," Thalen says. "I just found out the clothes are being taken to the transporter room now."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin's instincts are torn between the team being in disguise and not being noticed and making sure they don't lose the locals they have identified. Then again, it occurs to him that people walking around in Starfleet uniforms are going to be very obvious, so losing sight of them may not be such a problem, if they can follow directions from people who have noticed them instead.

"If the clothing is coming now, we use it, and then possibly ask around to find out where those characters went, if we hurry in the right direction."

Rangin crosses his arms and his fingers being to drum impatiently while waiting to see what Lt. Thalen is about to send down.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Soon the transporter beams hum and sparkle, and several stacks of clothing, hats, shoes and other accessories materialize. Each is labeled as to whom it is intended. Collins is glad to see that a pants and blouse ensemble, efficient but unmistakably feminine, has been sent down for her.

Feel free to use Google Images and then post a link - not an actual picture in-thread - here as to what your character will be wearing, appropriate from what we saw of Iotian society in ST:TOS "A Piece of the Action."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Now, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!" Collins is almost gleeful as she dons her new garments. "Look at me! I'm Amelia Earhart!" She poses for the others, mostly Graham, to admire.
    Last edited by anyrose; 24 Jun 2016 at 06:09 AM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham frowns, wishing they'd sent some instructions down as he tries to tie his--what the hell were the called? Cravates? Neckties?

Although he finds that the suit fits across his shoulders better than his Starfleet uniform.

http://www.zootsuitstore.com/Shoppin...uit4017bg1.jpg

He can't help but laugh at Collins' abrupt change of mood. He shakes his head. "Uh, yeah--maybe we'll be lucky enough to follow these folks into a dance club and you can cut a rug, as the old saying goes, L-T."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah breathes a silent sigh of relief once the garments are beamed down. There may certainly come a time on this mission when their uniforms are of use; indeed, it suddenly strikes her that if a new cult has formed around Starfleet trappings, she and the rest of the landing party might benefit from going undercover as Iotians in Starfleet uniforms!

The thought of this odd double-bluff gives her a genuine smile, which she did not think possible.

She looks among the outfits and finds the one meant for her. Waiting for her turn to change privately, she emerges in a rather pretty blue and silver dress, a filmy material reminiscent of Elasian clothing, but aside from bare arms, the dress seems quite prim to Kylah.

One thing she does wish is era-appropriate undergarments. The gown does not fall flat down in the front, as was the ideal of that time period--This time period, I should say, she thinks with a glance out the window. Her hips and breasts mar what should be the proper straight lines of the dress, and she is displeased with the result.

And the shoes are preposterous. But needs must.

She looks at the others and once again smiles, this time inwardly. They do look appropriate--Collins less so, but there were some mavericks. The Security officer will no doubt attract attention in the bloomer-like trousers, but if the mission leader and her fellow Security officer do not think it is a risk, so be it. Collins looks happy: in any other context, that would be all that matters.
    Last edited by choie; 06 Jan 2020 at 06:30 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

T'Var changes into a respectable dark-green lady's dress and matching coat with a cloche hat to conceal her Vulcan ears: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Vilmabanky.jpg

Garcia looks bemused when he emerges from the hotel room's tiny bathroom wearing a white shirt, light-gray plaid suit, vest and navy blue polka-dotted bowtie (a clip-on, Graham notices): http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/2sf/...nmodelsuit.jpg. He also has a dark gray fedora.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins finds a mirror on the back of the bathroom door to check how she looks in her outfit. She then places her communicator and phaser in the trousers' pockets, and her tricorder in the oversized handbag provided for her

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin looks over the clothes he has been sent to wear and is relieved that some sartorial taste has been applied. He steps out in a double breasted dark suit with a rose neatly attached in one buttonhole.https://www.pinterest.com/pin/518969557036322151/ He brushes a few specks of dust from a matching fedora before looking round the assembled team.

"Ok we need to get moving. You know what to do, stay in touch and don't do anything too foolish." He nods to the group as he settles the hat neatly on his head. "Let's go."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Morris picks up his hat. He, T'Var, Graham and Kylah leave the room. Rangin, Collins and Garcia are right behind them. There are stairs to the ground floor, or an elevator.

A shabbily-dressed man, walking by in the hotel hallway with his hat in his hand, looks a little surprised to see so many people come out of one room.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 26 Jun 2016 at 12:02 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham sees the man, smiles broadly, and points both hands, pistol style, at the man in the hallway. "Hey, next time we'll make sure to invite you to the party, daddy-o," he says with a knowing wink.

"Why don't you take the elevator, L- uh, Amelia Earhart," he says, turning briefly toward Collins. "We'll take the stairs."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins mimics Graham's pistol hand "You got it, Daddy-o" and giggles a bit, then turns to Rangin and Garcia and nods that they should go first, so she can keep her eye on them, bodyguard style.

Registered
    Mar 2012

The Communications Officer side of Kylah nearly winces, but she knows it will be worse if she says anything in front of the stranger. She glances at Lt. Garcia to see if he is as concerned as she is.

If the stranger passes them and it is safe to speak without his hearing, she will turn to the group and address them--first looking at the air near Rangin's shoulder. "Excuse me, sir, if I may make a suggestion..." Her gaze shifts to the rest. "We will likely be anachronistic in our behavior, in ways we may not even realize, as none of us are from this time or place. Yet we all wish to blend in.

"For that reason, I strongly urge that all of us refrain from using any slang unless we hear the locals use it. And even then, with great care. Some terms may not be appropriate for strangers, such as forms of address or casual profanity. Our attempts at communicating should be restricted to follow the natives' leads."

Kylah looks at her superior officer. "Lt. Garcia, sir, is that not the safest choice?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Garcia says, "Yes, probably so. I don't know the slang of this era, either."

Morris smiles wryly. "I do, and with all due respect to Ens. Graham, I've never heard 'daddy-o' used here before."

As Graham suggested, Rangin, Collins and Garcia take the elevator down. The lobby is dingy and warm. A bored-looking clerk, thin and sweaty, sits behind a long wooden reception desk. He barely looks at you. Cars and pedestrians pass by on the street outside, visible through large but dirty windows.

Morris, T'Var, Graham and Kylah take the stairs. On the third-floor landing, you find a badly-dressed derelict is passed out on the floor. An empty milk bottle rests beside him. The floor is gritty and there is some broken glass.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham acknowledges the advice without debate - realizing that while he's sure he'd heard that phrase in an old Earth vid in which people were wearing strange old clothes, they might now have been exactly the same style as what the team is wearing now...

Graham gestures toward the unconscious man. "Do you think he's in any immediate medical danger, Doc?" he asks T'Var.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins suddenly remembers the glossary of colloquialisms she'd prepared for the landing party, and forwards it to each of the team's communicators. She then looks up something time-appropriate to say to Rangin and Garcia to get them to hurry along.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Wise choice, Mr. Kylah, which everyone should heed." Rangin has no clue as to what Collins and Graham are referring to and he is fairly sure that his idea of slang would be inappropriate. After all yhe cant he is used to is based off mining terms or corruption which is a language in its own right to make sure no one else understood it.

As they exit onto the street, Rangin points out the direction they need to go.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. T'Var crouches and briefly examines the man, who does not stir. The Vulcan physician takes out her tricorder, which she had concealed beneath her shawl along with her medikit, and scans him. "He is severely inebriated and has several chronic health issues, but is in no immediate danger," she says at last, looking up. "Shall I render medical assistance, or should we press on?"

Rangin is followed out onto the sidewalk by Collins and Garcia, and you go in the direction of the Starfleet-uniformed pair. You do not see them ahead of you. The sidewalk is somewhat crowded, and from time to time you are jostled.

Rangin's communicator beeps. Several people glance at him curiously.

Registered
    May 2013

Drink till you pass out--yeah I know what that feels like, Graham thinks.

Graham shakes his head. "I say let him sleep it off, like the old saying goes, and press on...uh, assuming we all agree--nobody dies and made me king, after all?" He glances at the Doctor and Kylah.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah looks down at the unfortunate man. "Dr. T'Var, you are vastly more experienced in medical knowledge--and probably in landing parties as well. Your logic and expertise should guide us in this matter. Besides," she adds quietly, "our mission leader put you in charge. We should defer to you, even if you did not outrank us."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin reaches into an inside pocket and turns the beeping off before heading to one side of the street out of the way of the general crowd. He nods at the other two and then gestures for them to follow hoping for a little privacy. Once they are somewhere a little more anonymous he grumbles, "Could really do with a little more of the local currency, might prove useful. At least it would get us off the street and somewhere quieter."

If the area is private enough with Colins and Garcia screening him, Rangin will pull out his communicator and answer it. Otherwise he starts looking round for somewhere better.

Registered
    Sep 2009

T'Var purses her lips. "Very well. He should be all right. As time may be of the essence, let us press on." You take the stairs down to the lobby and then go to the street outside.

Once there, Morris says, "We could either take a cab or walk. Our house isn't all that far."

Rangin and the others have found an alley just off the street where there is some privacy. Rangin flips open his communicator's lid. "Yorktown to landing party," he hears the Captain say. "Report, Mr. Rangin."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham glances from Morris to T'Var to Kylah. "Thoughts? If anybody's worried, my leg's OK, but a cab may give us a chance to ask the driver for local scuttlebutt."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah, curious to see what the vehicles look like close up, steps closer to the edge of the pavement for a better view. Riding within one of these old-fashioned contraptions might be exciting, even if only for a brief journey, but there is more at stake than her personal enjoyment.

She turns back to the others and tries not to show her obvious bias in favor of this unique experience. Though her eyes are bright with interest, she speaks casually. "If it would not be unusual to hire one of these cars for a short distance, perhaps Mr. Graham makes a good point. We could ask the driver if he or she has seen those strangers in the odd costumes."

Registered
    Sep 2009

T'Var says, "I have no preference."

Morris grins. "A cab it is. TAXI!" He raises his hand and steps toward the curb.

Registered
    Feb 2009

While Rangin reports to the Captain, Collins stays near the alley's entrance, trying to look casual. She watches the people and vehicles go by with a slight sense of wonder. She'd seen conveyances like these in the ancient movies her grandparents and great grandparents loved to watch. She's curious about the security and stability of these things in real life. In the movies, they always looked so flimsy and easy to destroy.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Morris's jubilance at the prospect of hailing a cab takes Kylah by surprise. Does he not have the funds to take advantage of such minor luxuries? She steps closer to him and reaches to touch his arm delicately. "Sir," she murmurs, aiming a swift glance at Mr. Graham before redirecting her attention to Morris. "Perhaps you should not be quite so... noticeable... when there are people seeking to kidnap you."

Registered
    Sep 2009

The boxy, primitive motor conveyances in the street move quickly but safely, from what Collins can see.

Morris drops his hand and looks abashed at Kylah's comment. "You're right, of course, Ensign. My mistake. I've just been cooped up for so long I sort of forgot."

A yellow Checker cab nevertheless pulls up. It is driven by a fat man wearing a dirty plaid shirt and cloth hat. He is chewing on a stubby, unlit cigar.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham nods approvingly at Kylah.

Just need to give her some support send and keep that bastard away from her and she'll do fine...

Graham gestures for Morris to proceed, then moves to be slightly behind T'Var and Kylah so they can board as well.

Should start getting frosty about cover and threat detection, he thinks, glancing around and just once touching where his phaser is stowed in his costume.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah looks on in a flash of concern, noticing that this arrangement will put Lt. Morris nearest the backseat door on the driver's side. That is imprudent. He could be seen and snatched out if the door is not locked. It is a standard security procedure in her family to have an attendant on either side of any conveyance, to protect against such attacks. She cannot think of a way to suggest this to Mr. Graham without either insulting him or arousing the curiosity of the unpleasant-looking cab driver.

Thinking quickly, she grabs hold of Morris's sleeve, not as gently as before. "Oh, but I want the window seat," she says with high-handed petulance, aware the driver can probably hear them. "Let me get in first." She clambers over Lt. Morris and gives the cabbie a smile while she settles herself against the other door. After a second she realizes her skirt needs adjusting and she pushes it neatly down back over her knees.

She exhales and rests her arm against the window, casually looking down to see if there is any way she can recognize whether the door of this unfamiliar vehicle is locked.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Morris looks oddly at Kylah but lets her sit where she wishes. She sees two levers on the door and a knob along the top edge.

The others take their seats. "Where to, folks?" the cabbie grunts.

Morris provides an address, and the cab pulls out. He murmurs to Graham, "That's two blocks away from the house, so we can scout it out instead of all arriving at once."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Yes ma'am." begins Rangin. "Lt. Morris is fine, slightly shaken but in good health. We currently have no known reasons as to why the attack occurred on the party or indeed who carried it out. We have also noted a pair of people dressed in Starfleet uniform, fakes not originals, but still in complete contrast to everyone else in the city. We have currently split into to groups. Lt. Collins, Lt. Garcia and I are pursuing the people in uniform. Lt. Morris is taking Dr T'var, Ensigns Graham and Kylah to the house they CAG was staying in to see if they can find any reason for the kidnapping there." He pauses for a moment before continuing.

"Ma'am has there been any word from the ruling syndicate on what happened and if we are expected to meet them and are there any other orders we should follow?"

Closed thread