Closed thread
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #5: "Of Captains and Capos"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah's attention focuses on the architecture, still impressed, until she sees the pair of strangers up ahead. She frowns and casts a worried glance toward Mr. Graham, then Kalo.

"Those men, Mr. Kalo... Do you know them? Should you not intercede?"

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham glances at Kylah and remains silent after her question.

Right or wrong, he's pretty sure getting slapped around is par for the course in a culture based on the traditions of American mobs. For the most part--not all the time, but a good portion of the time--internal discipline was brutal but not psychotic (with some notable exceptions).

He hops this isn't one of the latter.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kalo smiles a little. "Sure, that's Bekmyx, one of my boys. And the old guy probably's got it coming to him."

As you draw closer, you hear Bekmyx snarl, "You owe me fifty bucks, and you're paying me, see?" He shakes the old man again even harder. "Or I'm takin' it out of your hide."

"I'll pay you, Bekmyx," the old man says piteously. "I promise! I promise!"

"I've heard your promises before," the mook says, plainly unimpressed. "Here's a good reason to actually keep one of them." He punches the old man right in the nose, hard, and Kylah hears an awful, liquid, crunching sound. Blood begins pouring down the old man's face.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah stares at the man held captive by Bekmyx's grip and a wave of... something... washes over her. Watching Bekmyx pull his arm back in almost slow motion, she shakes her head in silent fear, dread, and a horrible sense of inevitability. Do not do this, she pleads, mouthing the words soundlessly despite knowing they are useless.

The actual blow, with the sound of fist on bone and the warm flow of blood, has such a visceral impact on her that she stumbles before stopping in her tracks, one hand covering her mouth.

She looks wildly--almost blindly--at Kalo, hoping he will prevent any further violence. "Do not let him do this," she croaks, voice slightly muffled by the cold fingers protecting her face. "Stop him!" Even as she speaks, the surge of electric adrenaline frees her from the first paralysis of shock and soon she is instinctively moving again, this time lurching into a run--and fumbling through her bag to grab her phaser.
    Last edited by choie; 27 Sep 2016 at 05:45 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kalo says unconcernedly, "Hey, don't worry about it. Bekmyx's just getting his attention, y'know?"

As Kylah begins to move, one of his goons sees what she's doing with her bag and steps right in front of her, raising his long-barreled pistol as he does. He stares at her and shakes his head slowly.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham holds up a hand, slowly and deliberately and obviously away from his body--so as to be clear he's not reaching on a weapon on his person--as much for Kylah as for the goons.

"Stand to, Ensign," he says sharply.

More quietly, he continues, "Kalo, you know how back at house when you guys refused to disarm and I didn't incinerate you all through the wall you was covering behind because I said the Federation doesn't like to throw its weight around? Well we also don't like seeing the Federation's way of doing things shit on right in front of our faces, either. I think we're going to be set up for a much more...productive...conversation with the President if your buddy Bekymyx can dial it back--at least for the moment, as a matter of...let's call it simple respect for your guests, if you want to."

Registered
    Mar 2012

The sudden appearance of the gangster looming over her with a weapon forces Kylah to a halt. Her wide, frozen eyes cannot even blink, they do not dare to leave this man for a second. She knows Kalo is nearby, and Graham is as well, and even though Graham is on her side, the three figures make her feel dwarfed, insignificant. Helpless.
    Kylah tries to hold on to the bag containing her zither, clothes and her mother's jewelry, but with the pain from the shoulder wound caused by one of the club-wielding men, she cannot maintain her one-handed grasp. When she looks up and sees the third man coming toward her, she redoubles her effort to drag her belongings backward--just when her back hits the wall again. She turns right but there is a wall there too--she is cornered.

When she lifts her head up to stare like a trapped wolf at the men surrounding her, sweat stings her eyes. "Stay away from me!" she screams, brandishing the knife.

The men pace before Kylah warily for a few seconds, and then one of them quickly darts in, on the attack. She slashes him in the side, but he brings his club down on her wrist, knocking the knife from it. Almost simultaneously, from the other side, the other man hits her in the temple, hard, with his club. Everything goes black and she feels herself falling.
    "No, not again, please." The words are soft and high like a child's. She feels pain--but not on her temple, where she expected it, but on her nose and mouth. Desperation and hopelessness fill her. She cannot give this man what he wants; she simply does not have the money. And so she just covers her cheeks with both hands in hopes of protecting herself against another blow from the man grabbing her--

A familiar voice snaps out an order, from what feels like miles away. Kylah remains paralyzed while the voice--which she recognizes as Mr. Graham's--continues speaking. He seems so distant, too far away to help her. There is no one, and this is all her fault, her own foolish choices that made her stay behind on Anubis, that made her unable to pay Bekmyx what she owes...

Wait, no... that is not right...

Her heartbeat still pounds in her ears but slowly her thoughts turn clearer. I do not owe anyone... do I? She inhales and exhales, trying to regain control, before dragging her attention from the man blocking her path to Mr. Graham, then Lt. Morris, and finally Dr. T'Var before returning to the area where Bekmyx still threatens his bleeding, shabbily dressed victim.

Her trembling hands lower from her face, and she is genuinely surprised to see that they are not covered in blood. I am not hurt, she realizes with shock before the explanation dawns on her. It is this man. I sensed him. I sensed all of it!

Indeed, the more she looks at the victim, the more she feels his miserable situation--which means she is still empathically connected to him. Kylah shakes her head again and steps back, shutting her eyes in an effort to break the link. It does not work. This is much more deep than the brief connection shared with Mr. Graham back at the house. It is the difference between being bound by a thin thread versus a heavy iron chain.

Kylah breaks out in a cold sweat. For some time she has been mourning the loss of her empathic abilities, but for them to return here, in this way... Why? Why did it have to be now?

Somehow she finds Mr. Graham again. It is dizzying to look at her crewmate while still sensing--knowing--that Bekmyx is right in front of her. Unable to dispel this uncanny feeling, she can only try to disregard it. "I--I am sorry. This is too familiar. The threats, the beating..." Her dry throat closes and she cannot continue for a few seconds. Then she turns to Kalo, hugging herself. "This man did nothing wrong, he owes so little... please do not hurt him anymore." She hesitates, then blurts out: "I will pay what he owes, if you tell your colleague to let him go. I will pay the fifty dollars, I will give you more. Whatever you want!"
    Last edited by choie; 28 Sep 2016 at 01:35 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Nice place," Rangin cannot help his sarcastic tone as he gets out and stretches his legs. The odour and sights reminds of some of the more salubrious places he had ventured into back on Coridan. Seeing Bullo head off further down the alley, he realises that it would be wise to get the details straight from whatever informant is there than rely on someone else.

"Collins, with me, let's go find out what they know. Garcia, keep an eye on the area for trouble, just in case."

Rangin starts heading down the alley.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kalo scowls at Graham but calls out, "Bekmyx, we got guests here. Lay off, and take it somewhere else, would ya?"

The young goon looks over his shoulder, sees you all, and matches Kalo's scowl. He grabs the old man's arm and leads him brusquely away.

Dr. T'Var is soon at Kylah's elbow. "Are you all right, Ensign? Do you require medical assistance?"

In the noisome alley, Garcia says, "Acknowledged, sir." He remains with the car, as does one of Krako's mooks.

Rangin and Collins are soon caught up to Bullo; Hebyx and the other mooks bring up the rear. Zabo, the man at the end of the alley, gruffly greets you all and leads you into a filthy stairwell in a run-down apartment building, behind which the alley runs. Bullo handles the introductions.

Zabo says to Bullo, "A little old lady in this building called it in. She thinks she saw the kidnapped Starfleet guys being taken into the big apartment on the seventh floor earlier today. I got two of my guys upstairs keeping an eye on it. They haven't confirmed the report, but say there are at least two of Okmyx's goons in there."

Registered
    Mar 2012

As she watches Bekmyx take the older man somewhere unknown, Kylah feels as if someone is trying to tug her soul from her body. Then her innards seem to lurch and relax; the strong emotions that flooded her are gone. Either the old man has lost consciousness, or he is too far for her to sense. Kylah does not know which to hope for.

Now there are only the weaker emotions radiating from those who remain nearby. It is still so much, so soon--after such emptiness since the incident with Zweller--that Kylah is still distracted and vague, uncertain where to look or what to say.

Then she feels T'Var's presence by her side, mainly because the Vulcan's tight control of her own emotions is practically a shield against the humans and Iotians surrounding them.

"I--I am all right," she finds herself saying, though it is far from accurate. She searches T'Var's gaze and, not wanting the others to hear, touches the older woman's hand and aims her thoughts telepathically. But something just happened, Doctor. My empathic abilities have returned. It came out of nowhere, I do not know why... unless...

Kylah swallows and, shifting her gaze from T'Var to Mr. Graham, explains to both of them softly, "The attack reminded me of what happened on Anubis." She lets go of T'Var, nodding to the doctor to reassure her that the extreme reaction is gone, and she will do her best to remain under control.

After a deep breath, she turns to Kalo. "I apologize for my behavior, Mr. Kalo. I think it is horrible, treating anyone the way he did. I find the violence abhorrent. But I should not have acted so rashly. Something similar happened to me, not long ago, and I..." Kylah's voice is shaky and she clears her throat. "No. It does not matter. I am sorry, that is all."
    Last edited by choie; 28 Sep 2016 at 03:40 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham lowers his hand but steps forward slowly to move closer to being between the goon with the raised gun and Kylah. He locks eyes with the goon with the gun. Although his movements are slow he shifts his weight to have his best shot at controlling the weapon--or disabling the goon--if he were to do anything rash.

"So maybe now your tough guy here doesn't need a raised gun to deal with an apologetic young woman, Kalo," he says drily

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kalo looks at Kylah oddly. "Eh, don't mention it, honey. Bekmyx just shoulda been a little more, whatsa word, discreet, eh?"

To Graham he says, his voice cold, "Don't push your luck, pally." He nods to the mook, who holsters his gun.

Kylah sensed T'Var's concern and sympathy but no words. Her empathic senses do seem to have returned, however.

"This way, folks," says Kalo, leading you to a gleaming bank of elevators.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin nods af the report. "If you can get us close by, we may be able to tell you if they are in there or if not how many people are there are."

His mind starts running through the scan routines his tricorder can carry out and thinking on the information he could gather: numbers, locations, weaponry. It is almost like being home again.

"Room above, room below, would be ideal. Otherwise I'll take what I can get."

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"On your six," Collins states as she follows Rangin. When she catches up to him, she whispers to him "I don't think we should be so quick to enter this building. I'm telling you the hairs on the back of my neck are standing up. We could be the next intended kidnapping victims."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Embarrassed by her reaction, Kylah flashes a very brief look of gratitude toward Mr. Graham before lowering her gaze to follow Mr. Kalo. She finds it unusually difficult to fight off the intrusive emotions from others; her mental barrier seems unsteady and fragile, like someone attempting to stand on her own after a long convalescence. She must concentrate only on herself, on the physical senses: the way her unfamiliar shoe heels click on the floor, the floaty silk of her dress against her legs, the goose bumps prickling her chilly arms.

But she must say something, and while at the elevators she asks tightly, "May I ask who else will be at this meeting, besides President Okmyx? And do you recommend any particular... protocol... in speaking with him?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin and Collins are already inside the building.

Zabo says, "OK, good. That'd sure help. The elevator's out, so it's seven flights up." He starts up the dirty steel staircase.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 30 Sep 2016 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Clarified location

Registered
    May 2013

Graham makes a mental note: Kylah's asking exactly the questions a comms officer should.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin says quietly to Collins, "I know, but this is one of the few shots we have of finding out more, it's risky either way. All we can do is keep our eyes and ears open. And yeah, I would be surprised any danger sense isn't going off like a rocket, given our present company. If it makes you feel any better - SFAQL - Stun first, ask questions later. But only if you really have to."

As they start to head off into the building, Rangin checks with Zabo, "I take it we have a room on the same floor then, how close is it?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Zabo says, "Same floor, just down the hall, with a line of sight to the front door." He keeps trudging up the stairs.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins nods and smiles, and follows Rangin up the stairs.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Zabo leads you upstairs, then down a dimly-lit, equally-squalid hallway. He knocks twice, then twice more, on a door marked with the tarnished metal numbers "704." The door opens just a crack, and then completely. You enter to find a dingy apartment, overcrowded with old furniture. There is an unpleasantly musty smell. Two hefty men in suits with Tommy guns nod at you.

"Any news?" Zabo asks.

"Nope," one says. "They're sittin' tight, boss."

Kalo tells Kylah, "The President himself, maybe some of his boys. Dunno for sure. Just be polite and respectful, OK? You'll be fine."

You all get on the gleaming, roomy elevator and it whisks you upward.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 02 Oct 2016 at 03:07 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah thanks Kalo with a quick nod and a grateful, reassured look, as if his words have comforted her far more than they actually did. In the elevator, she continues to stand beside him, though not inappropriately so. Now that she has her abilities back--temporarily or not, she does not know--she must practice shielding herself as well as refining her focus. Since she does not wish to try her skills on one of her colleagues, she decides on the president's right-hand man.

She stares ahead at the closed doors, not really seeing them, but rather imagining a wall between herself and the others in the elevator: everyone, that is, except Kalo. Her concentration distances itself from the rest and instead narrows on the man beside her. It is not easy to do so, when the group is confined to such a small space, and she closes her eyes briefly while frowning in effort.

Focus. Focus on him.

She is near enough to feel the warmth of his body, and homes in on that physical sensation in hopes that this will open herself to let his emotional radiation touch her as well.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah immediately feels a rush of impressions from the nearby Iotian. He is not a very smart man - she recalls reading of Kirk fooling him with a far-fetched game of Fizzbin - but he is dogged, purposeful and very loyal to his boss, Okmyx. She does not sense any guile or deception in him. She has a faint impression of past crimes, deeply suppressed or ignored, and overlaid with a lingering sense of guilt.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin wrinkles his nose at the smell as he lets his eyes slowly pass round at the room and wishing he never had to end up in such a place again. He nods to the goons there as he moves in to stand near the wall and away from the window.

He raises an eyebrow at Collind to see what her initial thoughts are before asking one of the goons.

"OK, which room are we looking at?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins is no longer smiling. It is an unpleasant room with an unpleasant odor. She is, however, on high alert, although her weapon is not drawn.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham is not 100% certain that Kylah is intentionally being very smart about using her communication skills while also exploiting the peculiar and, it seems, sexist culture of the planet.

But even if its unintentional she seems to be doing a good job.

And I'm doing mine - pushing Kalo's buttons a bit to see how friendly he really is.

Graham nods in response to Kalo's comment, and responds -amicably enough, but in no hurry. "Like I said before, you and I'm sure the president knows we don't like to throw our weight around unless we're forced to." After a brief pause he asks "Does he go by 'President Okmyx' or 'Mr. President?'"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Just down the hall," Zabo says, jerking his thumb. "In 708."

Collins sees no cause for concern in the dingy apartment.

Kalo says, "'Mr. President' or 'Sir' are, you know, customary." The elevator stops and the doors open, revealing a gleaming circular reception area. The walls are blond wood and brushed steel. Men in suits and women in elegant dresses clutching files move to and fro, some singly, and some in groups. From somewhere nearby, Graham can hear what he remembers from old movies as being the sound of typewriters clattering away.

"This way," Kalo says, leading you down a curving, thickly-carpeted hallway. Two mooks in identical dark suits stand guard at a tall, padded-red-leather door.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah appreciates Mr. Graham's question, as it is one she should have asked herself. With her distraction ever since the incident down in the lobby, and now with the strange return of her abilities... she finds it embarrassing to have forgotten to ask about protocol of address.

She does not regret having focused on Kalo, however. Her impression of him in just a few moments was quite strong--unusually so, for someone she barely knows, or someone not in immediate distress--and quite useful. She hopes.

When they enter the round reception room, Kylah inhales slightly at the clothing of the women. She hopes she is not poorly dressed. Some annoying clacking noise she cannot quite identify tickles her ears. And then they reach the impressive door, obviously the President's office or perhaps a suite.

Here we are, meeting the head of the Syndicate, without the Captain even knowing. Or even... She bites her lip and glances around to T'Var. The doctor mentioned earlier that she received a text message. Was it from someone in the other team? What if it is a medical emergency--why else would they contact Dr. T'Var?

She relaxes slightly when she remembers that, as far as the other team is concerned, T'Var is still leading this group.

How can I can reach the ship, while she gets back to Veli--Mr. Rangin?

Her gaze takes in the rest of the reception area, then an idea strikes her. She touches Kalo's sleeve lightly before looking nervously up at him. "Forgive me," she asks in a soft, somewhat abashed voice. "Before we go in... may I ask, is there a... a powder room?" Kylah silently thanks Collins for the reference guide to old Earth terminology. "I would be grateful for the chance to...well, freshen up, if we are to meet the President." She does not bother to hide her blush. "And perhaps Dr. T'Var might wish to, as well, if that is possible. Please?"

Registered
    May 2013

Graham chuckles and shrugs, glancing at Kalo with what he aims to be a look of shared suffering.

"Dames," he says, shaking his head. "But I guess we're the ones getting the short end of the stick if they don't work at prettying themselves up all the time."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. T'Var immediately says, "Yes, I would like to... freshen up, as well, if I may."

Kalo smirks at what Graham said. He glances at T'Var and then back at Kylah. "You can go, lady, and then the Vulcan, but not together. Mino, show the lady to the powder room."

One of the heavyset mooks steps forward. "This way, ma'am," he says, not unkindly, and gestures back down the hall.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Casting what she hopes is a meaningful look at Mr. Graham--he must know her intentions, he would not be so offensive otherwise--Kylah follows the large man down the hall.

While they walk, though she keeps her face blank, her mind is racing. She is relieved that even though she and Dr. T'Var cannot go together, at least the doctor will have her chance to get a private moment as well--that should allow her to respond to that text message. But what if Kalo changes his mind?

The thought makes Kylah want to groan aloud. Oh I am a fool--I should have asked her whom the message was from! I could have helped her, if she is not given the chance to be alone after all! She has been biting her lower lip in consternation and now, full of self-reproach, she clamps down so hard she nearly pierces the skin. She and T'Var share the unique ability to communicate secretly, through touch telepathy. How could Kylah fail to take advantage of this? Stupid, stupid!

Restless and annoyed, she quickens her pace to reach her destination.

I'm assuming the goon leads her all the way to the restroom. Once we get there, may Kylah get a description of the layout, e.g. multiple facilities, sinks, etc.?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin starts to think of what he may be able to do while acknowledging the all important information just given. Orienting himself having seen the numbers on the doors in the hallway as they had walked past, he looks round to once again judge the size of the apartment.

"They're all the same size, right?" Rangin tosses out the comment not expecting anything more than an affirmative grunt. He gestures with his head to Collins to follow him as he heads into the bedroom away from the two guards. It occurs to him that the goons may take it the wrong way in which case he is likely to get a little extra privacy that, while using Federation technology on this planet, can only be a good thing.

Puliing out the tricorder he starts to scan the size of this apartment and then starts to calculate the same size again but where the room they are staking out is.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins glances at the mooks, then follows Rangin into the bedroom.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Mino escorts Ens. Kylah to the ladies' room, down the hall and just past the elevator lobby. He takes a look inside and then waits outside while she goes in. The bathroom has three stalls, two sinks and a large mirror. It is sleek, spotless and - for the moment, at least - empty.

"I think #708 is a little bigger than this place, but not by much. It's two apartments over from here, that way," Zabo says, pointing. He follows Rangin and Collins into the bedroom.

Registered
    Mar 2012

As soon as the door closes behind her, Kylah takes a deep breath and moves into one of the stalls. The old-fashioned plumbing fixtures are a curiosity, but she does not intend to use them and has no time for cultural novelties. Instead she pulls out her communicator from the sash around her waist and flips it open. Her fingers are almost a blur as she types:

LT. THALEN - Please inform Captain that T'Var, Graham, Morris & I have been taken to meet President Okmyx. Not entirely under duress but the men were armed and strongly compelled us to comply; they are also keeping us under tight guard. I sought privacy to contact you, as I am uncertain as to whether open communication would be allowed. Cannot stay long. Text communications are advised. Will contact transporter room at once if quick retreat is required. - ENS. KYLAH

Kylah sends the message off, exhaling. She gnaws at her tender lip again in thought. She has no idea if T'Var's message is from the other team or the ship. And as she thought earlier, she cannot be certain that Kalo will allow T'Var to leave as agreed.

Her thumb hesitates over the tiny keypad. Text conversations take up too much time, a resource that is precious right now. After she argues with herself for as long as she dares--not just worried about being discovered, but about hearing his voice again--she ponders the option of contacting Collins or Garcia instead. But she dismisses the idea as cowardly. He is the mission leader. She will not let her emotions take precedence over her duty. Not again.

Outside the stall again, she stands at the sink and, after a test, successfully turns the tap so water splashes loudly from the faucet. Then, returning to the stall, she closes the door, presses the button on her communicator, and murmurs, "Silent notification only: Kylah to Ensign Rangin. Please respond immediately if it is safe. I have little time."

Kylah waits anxiously for a response.

Registered
    Sep 2009

After a few moments, Kylah's communicator slightly vibrates. She reads, Message acknowledged and understood. Captain advised. Rescue of CAG imperative. Good luck! THALEN.

Mino knocks on the door. "Almost done in there?" he calls.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Thanks," is Rangin's reply to Zabo as he holds the tricorder pointing in the same direction as the gesture. "It's a little easier to concentrate with fewer people around and who aren't familiar with certain items."

Setting the scan to look for life signs in the area within the small range and on the same level, Rangin is sure he can find out how many people are in that room. " Collins, could you check for firearms in the vicinity please?"

It is then that he feels his communicator gently warn him of an incoming message. Must be either the Yorktown or T'Var he thinks to himself and about time to if it is the good Doctor. He opens it away from Zabo's sight, not wsnting to give away more than is necessary, but aware that thier boss is more than au fait with the item in question. The big surprise is when he sees the name of the caller: Ens. Kylah. Had something gone wrong with the other group and why is she calling on silent. Multiple options race through his mind but until he answers he won't know.

"Ens. Rangin here, I'm free for contact. Is there a situation update Ens. Kylah?" Rangin utters her name out loud knowing it will capture Collins' attention while if Zebo asks it will just be a regular communication for the orbiting vessel. He begins to wonder if he did the right thing in splitting the group and if Kylah is, well the group is, safe and sound.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin's tricorder scan shows one person in the next apartment over, and seven in the apartment beyond that. All have typical human-genome readings.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins nods and takes her tricorder out of her bag to scan as Rangin asked. Even though there's no immediate threat in this apartment, she still is uneasy around the mooks.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Collins's tricorder scan reveals, not surprisingly, that Zabo and his mooks are all armed. There are two guns in the apartment next door, both small enough to be pistols and not actually on the person of the occupant. There are another three in the apartment beyond that, two pistols and a machine gun, apparently carried by two of the seven occupants.

Registered
    May 2013

"So what do people do for fun around here?" Graham asks Kalo, glancing as well at some of the other goons.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kalo looks at his fingernails and rubs on them on his lapel. He shrugs. "Oh, you know. Broads, booze, cards, pool, darts, dancing, the picture shows, maybe some burlesque. Why? You lookin' for a night on the town?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

A combination of relief and discomfort flood Kylah when she hears the voice on her communicator. But Mino is growing impatient, and she cannot respond to Velir immediately. She steps back out of the stall and calls out, "Just five more minutes, please, sir. I--I am having some stocking trouble..."

Not the best excuse, but men have always seemed somewhat mystified by the intricacies of women's garments, so she suspects it will suffice. Returning to the stall, she closes the door and clutches the communicator up to her face with both hands.

"I wanted to report to you.... all of us are safe, but our situation is... uncertain." She rushes ahead to explain that they were discovered in the CAG apartment and are now at the headquarters. "Mr. Graham thought it best that we stay together and take advantage of the 'invitation,' such as it was. Ideally he would have contacted you first, but there was no time. And these men might confiscate our equipment at any moment, which is why I thought I should check in."

She inhales, nervous and awkward and unable to think of how to speak with the one person with whom she used to feel so safe. "Are you all ri--what is your status?"

"Excuse me," Rangin aims at Zebo and moves to give himself what little privacy he can in the room.

Rangin listens carefully to the report, differing emotions playing across his senses. Relief they are safe, but still worried as to what they are up to next. Of course, he cannot help but be concerned that it appears Graham is leading them. Why on Coridan would T'Var be listneing to that idiot. Perhaps that's what Kylah meant by uncertain.

Keeping control of his posture he answers her call, keeping his voice quiet but unable to keep the worry out of it."We're fi...our status here is good, well as far as being stuck in a seedy bedroom with Collins goes. The people we followed were at a meeting held by Krako, the second in command. He had a lead on the CAG and we are following it up and now we are currently in an apartment with several of Krako's men watching the suspected location. It's more a matter of convenience than alliance. Problem is, they think that the CAG are being watched by some of the President's men, but that is still to be confirmed."

His voice becomes even more worried as he continues. "Everything is alright, isn't it. I mean, T'Var is still in charge and ok isn't she? I sent her a message because I was concerned I hadn't heard anything but she didn't respond. Does that mean Graham is in charge? If he is and he asks, don't tell him about this stakeout. He'll only go and blurt something stupid out."

Though the comment about being alone in a bedroom with Lt. Collins makes Kylah blink in surprise, she listens to the rest with a growing, bittersweet ache. She looks down at her shoes at Velir's request. It came so naturally, and sounded so very much like the days when they were at ease with one another: willing to speak truthfully, sharing their thoughts without hesitance. She is afraid to say anything that might break the spell.

"The doctor is fine," she says carefully. "We have been surrounded by the President's men and she did not want to risk responding to your message. And yes, Mr. Graham is-- that is, Dr. T'Var preferred to cede the command to Mr. Graham. She thought he would be the better choice, because of his experience. Mr. Graham did not ask for the role," Kylah hurries to add, not wanting the security officer to sound as if he pushed his way past Velir's orders.

After a swallow, she goes on, her words reluctant: "But... but I do not see how I can keep from telling him that you have already found Lt. Morris's crewmates. I should not keep such a secret."

"Well that's never stopped you before." The words escape his lips before he can hold them back and probably uttering them louder than he intends. Rangin grinds his teeth in frustration, first Graham is in charge of the others and now Kylah decides that now is the time to stop keeping secrets.

"Please listen carefully," as Rangin drops his voice back into cold civility, "it is not confirmed yet, it is just a possible lead. The only thing you need to pass on is that Krako and his men believe Oxmyx is responsible."

He sags slightly and leans against the wall wondering what must have happened for T'Var to relinquish command. "Look, if you can contact me after the meeting, then do. I can contact the Yorktown now if you haven't and let them know your status."

"And Kylah, please make sure everyone is civil with the President. I'd hate for an incident like the one with the Hwuen to happen again."

Kylah's face burns with each icy word making its way through the communicator. She literally flinches at his first bitter comment about her secrecy, and his subsequent commands--which she vehemently disagrees with but cannot disobey--turn her back to stone.

But when he mentions the Hwuen incident, that frightening experience that represented just one of her multitude of mistakes on OC3, she has to reach out to the door handle and grip it for strength.

"Yes, sir," she says in a hoarse monotone, shutting her eyes tightly against the memories of touching that alien and nearly collapsing from the chaos. "I understand. You do not need to contact the ship. I have done so already." Suddenly weary, she starts to lean against the door--but then, from somewhere inside, a swell of anger rouses her into straightening up again.

"I will do my best to ensure that Dr. T'Var communicates with you in future, Ensign Rangin, as she is clearly the only trustworthy and competent member of our team. Now I must go or the armed guard outside will discover me. I do not think even you wish that. Kylah out."

She snaps the communicator shut without waiting his response, tucks it back into her sash, and leaves to turn off the sink tap. The rushing noise in her ears is no longer from the water, but the surging sorrow and resentment in her mind.

With one last look in the mirror--it is not a pleasant sight, but she does not care--she starts to exit the bathroom. At the last second she remembers the excuse she gave to the guard earlier, then bends down and uses a nail to rip a ladder in the sheer stocking on her left leg, below the sparkling blue-beaded garter. I need a reason for the sink as well, she thinks dully.

When she opens the door, she gives Mino a small, emotionless smile. "I am sorry it took so long, sir. Walking in this city made me feel terribly filthy, and I had to clean up. And I believe the vehicle caused the tear in my stocking." She lifts her skirt hem slightly to show the rip just beneath her lower thigh, then lets it fall quickly back in place. "Thank you for your patience."

Rangin by CIAS, Kylah by me
    Last edited by choie; 10 Oct 2016 at 03:22 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

"Well who can argue with 'booze and broads,'" Graham replies. Although he's not entirely sure what Nia would think about 'broads.' At the same time he's wondering what Nia would look like in some of the old school Terran dresses her's seen around...

Good. I think, good.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"No problem, dollface," Mino says to Kylah, smiling and patting her on the ass as she walks by. "This way."

Kalo nods. "Yeah, OK. Maybe we'll have the chance to show you some of the nightlife once we find your guys, huh?"

Dr. T'Var, hearing this exchange, is carefully expressionless. Morris, for his part, does not look impressed.

Registered
    Mar 2012

The slap shocks Kylah into a emitting a gasp that is practically a squeak. Her face flames even hotter as she quickens her steps to a near-run, hugging herself the whole way.

When she returns to the outer reception area, she aims straight for Dr. T'Var, brushes her hand and establishes a brief, if rushed, mental connection with her. I spoke to Mr. Rangin. They are with Krako, who believes the president is responsible.

Breaking her gaze from the other woman, she shifts to Mr. Graham and moves close enough to slip her arm through his elbow--a move driven by the instinct that these thugs will abide by some male code of ownership. Perhaps if they believe she is linked to the team's leader, she will not be treated so disrespectfully.

She despises the fact that she is probably right.

Her fingers tighten on the muscle she feels through Graham's sleeve, squeezing twice before she lifts her still-heated face to him. Somehow she needs to speak to him in private, but she has no idea how to communicate this short of praying he understands.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin hears ths call go dead and he puts the communicator away wondering what has gotten into Kylah. No, not just Kylah but the entire other group. When Collins is being the sensible one on this planet you know things are five ways from fubar.

Shaking his head and muttering darkly under his breath on the news he has just heard, Rangin turns back into the bedroom to see what results they have. He can feel his face drawn tight in anger and he tries to put it out of his forethoughts and concentrate on the problem at hand. Being annoyed in this situation will only get people hurt.

He ignores Zebo and looks at the details from the tricorders. He smiles at Collins as he reads the results. "Good work, these look promising. What do you think we should do next?" he asks his colleague, "I was thinking of tapping their comms if they have any but any suggestions would be useful."

Registered
    Sep 2009

T'Var quickly thinks, and Kylah senses, Understood, and thank you. We must tread carefully.

Kalo asks, "So, Doc, you wanna go to the powder room now?"

"No, thank you," she says. "I believe I will wait until later. I do not wish to keep the President waiting."

He looks at her for a moment, then shrugs. "Suit yourself." He nods at the two hulking guards, one of whom raps gently with his knuckles on the door, and opens it.

You walk into a massive, gleaming office, easily four times the size of the Yorktown's Bridge. A giant oil painting of Bela Okmyx, in a dark suit and with a cape thrown dramatically over his shoulder, looking equally dramatically off into the distance, hangs over the large fireplace. The office also boasts a huge, ornate wooden desk; a cluster of overstuffed chairs grouped around a coffee table; a long conference table with two dozen matching chairs; and a pool table with cues hanging on the nearest wall. The decor matches the rest of the building; everything is gleaming and bright.

Standing before you with his arms wide and a big smile on his face is Okmyx himself, looking a little older and more careworn than in his outsized portrait.

"Here you are!" he says with gusto. "Here's our friends from the Federation!"

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Bela_Okmyx
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 11 Oct 2016 at 06:18 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's a little surprised by Morris' expression. Granted, if he himself were a known quantity there'd be no excuse for that kind of talk, but as an outsider trying to get an angle on Kalo and perhaps some connections that shake lose some intel...

Well, no time to explain now.

He's more surprised by Kylah's actions. He's...

Wait...

She was alone with this goon... He glances at her, and then her "escort."

If anything happened to her, all bets are off...

No, nothing looks out of place. And they wouldn't accost someone being escorted to see the president...

Maybe we're making some progress here, he thinks. She trusts me at least a little...

He's not sure if she's anxious about pulling her weight or not, but his thoughts as she squeezes his arm are clear.

I'd proud of you.

He's glad he can't actually say it out loud because she might find it condescending. But its what he has in mind as he reaches across with his other hand and gives her arm a gentle squeeze.

"Friendship is a good thing, Mr. President," Graham replies, taking a step forward with Kylah's arm deliberately still in his. "We're honored you've invited us to speak with you face-to-face," he says pleasantly enough without irony or sarcasm, but with a slight glance toward the armed goons surrounding them.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Sure, sure!" Okmyx says. "Glad to have you all here. Mr. Morris I know - good to see you again, pal, and glad you didn't get snatched with the others."

Morris nods politely but doesn't smile.

Okmyx goes on, speaking to Graham, still beaming, "And who is this lovely lady on your arm? And another beauty here, a Vulcan, I understand...?"

Closed thread