Closed thread
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #5: "Of Captains and Capos"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Mr. Graham's approach gets Kylah's attention, as do his soft, welcoming words. "Thank you, sir," she says, trying to smile back though unsure how well she accomplishes it. Her gaze follows him over to Tactical before she turns back to her station.

Registered
    Apr 2015

With the other Helm officers, Nia would respond to a remark like "the helm is yours" with a murmured "Damn right it is." But Pourtash is pretty new to her, and she doesn't think he'd realize she's joking. Instead she just smiles gratefully, thanks him, and takes her seat. She blinks in surprise at seeing Kylah--Nia figured the girl was permanently relegated to the bowels of the ship--and can't help checking out Rangin before raising her eyebrow at Booker. This oughtta be interesting.

Then she turns her focus to her companion beside her in the Nav chair. "Good morning, Mr. Brooks," she says softly. She takes in the course and coordinates on his panel before checking her own setup to ensure the altitude and velocity are what they should be. From what she's seen of Pourtash, she has no doubt all's well. Especially since it seems they're just continuing the sector patrol.

"Still strolling around the block, are we?" she adds conversationally to Brooks.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin looks up from the console and across to Lt. Antonov. "Thank you sir?" he replies while beginning to shut down Science 2 in readiness for the next person to use it.

As he gets up to move across, Rangin looks round the Bridge having not paid much attention to its occupants when he first arrived. Most of it is as expected, apart from the back of a familiar head bent studiously over a console and probably concentrating hard on the task at hand. Rangin isn't egotistical enough to think she is thinking about him, he's probably last thing on her mind.

But she is here and if he gets a chance, then just perhaps he can talk to her, find out why she appears to be ignoring him. Of course, if he is going to do that it can wait until Graham has wandered off on patrol.

But for now, Rangin busies himself with the Science 1 console.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pourtash and Antonov leave the Bridge, nodding to the Captain as they go.

Everything looks right on Onn's board. "Good morning, Mr. Onn," Brooks replies with a friendly smile. "Yeah, pretty quiet so far. I've only been here for a few minutes myself. From the logs, looks like nothing much happened last watch, either."

A yeoman in Command yellow exits the turbolift, steps into the well of the Bridge and hands Singh a tablet and stylus. She begins to read.

A stocky technician in red coveralls enters and begins talking quietly with Sasok at the Engineering console.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham gives a little shrug in response to Nia's glance. Then, chastened by the fact that the damned Klingon got him before he got the Klingon, doubles down on triple-checking Tactical's readiness--looking anything that isn't 100% ready, could go wrong or could be done better, he dives into each weapon, sensor, and system.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Everything on the Yorktown's Tactical console and all ship's weapons and defensive systems are five by five.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins messages Cmdr Vargas Re the unlocked cabinets, who is in charge of the followup? And has a full inventory been done to make sure not only that nothing is missing but that nothing has been added? Like an incendiary device? I'd be happy to take lead on the investigation.. She turns to Graham. "I think I've convinced Kylah to come work out with me after watch. And to drink coffee." She says quietly and snickers a bit.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Collins soon gets the following response: Lt. Jones is following up, but may appreciate some help. We don't have a full inventory yet from Engineering but a spot check was made. A scan showed nothing dangerous left behind. VARGAS.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 28 Apr 2016 at 11:00 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins replies to Vargas Thank you, Sir. I will get in touch with Jones and see if he needs me. After she sends that, she messages Lt. Jones. Collins here. Heard about the little mystery. Anything I can do to help?

Registered
    Sep 2009

The reply soon comes back: Sure, if you can tear yourself away from the Bridge. Deck 19, Section Gamma. Thanks. JONES.

Registered
    May 2013

Between their various tasks, Graham quietly replies to Collins. "Uh, not sure about the coffee--but overall, good to hear."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins smiles at Graham, and returns to her console. After reading Jones' reply, she turns to Singh. "Ma'am? Lieutenant Jones has said he could use my help with the mystery of the unlocked cabinets. Permission to leave the Bridge?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Singh raises an eyebrow. "Very well, Mr. Collins. Return when you're done."

Collins leaves.

A few minutes later, Chief Engineer Cheverez calls Singh. "It's an inlet flow sensor on the port nacelle, again, ma'am."

The Captain asks, "ML09 again?"

"No, it's ML10 this time. You said you wanted to be told."

"Indeed I did. All right, I'll be right down. Singh out." She looks around the Bridge speculatively. "You still have your BCDO certification, don't you, Mr. Graham? Very well, you have the conn. This shouldn't take long."

She rises from the big chair and leaves.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia listens to Cheverez's report with interest and a hint of concern, her forehead wrinkling in a slight frown. Weird. Warp field flow seemed fine when I just checked it. Then again, if multiple inflow sensors are going wonky at various times, I could be getting incorrect info...

Then she hears that Booker being ordered to take the conn. Her frown smooths out and she can't hide the spark of interest in her gaze, watching his reaction. Well well. Should be fun letting him call the shots. Uh, for some of us... Nia lifts a hand to brush a nonexistent stray curl from her forehead, taking a peek through her fingers to see how Rangin takes this one.

She's curious about Brooks, too, for that matter. With Antonov and Collins gone, and not counting Nia herself, he's the ranking officer here. And Nia's occupied at her station with no relief nearby. She certainly couldn't get the conn--Brooks isn't capable of running Nav and Helm, the way Nia could if Brooks had been called to the big chair. So this probably feels more like a snub to Brooks.

Too bad, Brooksy, she thinks, amused. Happens to all of us sometime. Hell, if Collins had been here, I'm sure all of us would've been long forgotten.

Internecine politics aside, Nia just feels a little swell of vicarious pleasure at the thought of seeing Booker in charge.

Registered
    May 2013

"Sir--?" Graham's response is almost a question rather than an acknowledgment of the Captain's order, but he manages to elide his initial, shocked response into "Yes Captain."

He wonders about the phrasing of her question: "why yes, ma'am, when I was busted and court-martialed and nearly thrown out of Starfleet, revoking my BCDO was the last thing on the higher-ups' minds..."

Yet despite his shock and the fact that the muscle memories are a decade old, rounding his station and taking the chair feels natural.

Almost by instinct he checks the controls built in the "big chair's" arms. "Is that reading from the port nacelle anything that might affect the ship's performance, Mr. Onn?" he asks as he does.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The controls on the chair arms are a little different from the ones Graham remembers from the last time he sat in the big chair on a starship's bridge - but not too much so. The seat is very comfortable but he is aware of being - or, at least, seeming to be - the focus of everyone's attention.

Brooks glances over his shoulder at Graham but does not seem particularly put out, Onn observes.

Registered
    Feb 2009

In the turbolift, Collins tells it "Deck 19!" then messages Jones that she's on her way.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Jones welcomes Collins. He is in a narrow Engineering access corridor along with Ensigns Mahmoud and Three Crows. All fourteen of the storage hatches, each about half a meter square, are closed but two.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Glad for the opportunity to look back at Booker, Nia swivels in her chair and--though avoiding an obvious smile--lets her eyes show her enjoyment of the situation.

"The inlet flow sensor reading's probably not too concerning. There are redundancies built into the system for just this sort of scenario; unless they all fail at once, it's unlikely to cause a problem, especially since we're not stretching the warp drive past normal parameters."

She hesitates, then turns back to the Helm. "Still, it's atypical," she adds thoughtfully while her fingers tap away at her panel. "I'm checking the error logs to see just what kind of downtime the Captain and Chief Cheverez were talking about for both sensors. It'll just take a moment, sir." Using the title, this time Nia can't keep the tiny smile from her lips.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"So," Collins says after greeting each of her fellow security officers, "bring me up to speed." As she listens to whomever speaks, she takes a visual survey of the cabinets and the corridor.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's pleased to see Nia seems to enjoy seeing him in the big chair...

In fact he flushes a bit and has to break eye contact as he contemplates the fact that they might both enjoy being the in the big chair together if a private moment on the Bridge could be arranged...

He clears his throat. "Very good, Mr. Onn. Please share your findings with the Engineering station."

He swivels to face it. "Mr. Sasok, please assess any risks and form a recommendation for work-arounds, should it come to that," he says with a nod, his demeanor deliberately expressing his confidence the Vulcan almost certainly could come up with three with one ear tied behind his back.

Maybe I'm biased, but I just haven't met too many slacker Vulcans, T'Var and anyone else on this crew included.

He spins forward and rubs his chin, resting his elbow on one arm of the chair.

He should ask Rangin for an update on what the sensors show in the vicinity upon taking the big chair...

"Mr. Kylah, how's the neighborhood?" he asks without turning around, resuming a normal seated position. "Any chatter worth noting?"

For a moment it feels like he's younger, his officer's rank intact...

And Jane still alive.

Sitting in the chair for five minutes while Singh checks a sensor--or for that matter takes a crap--doesn't change a damned thing, Booker.

Don't dare forget it.

Registered
    Mar 2012

It takes a few seconds for Kylah to process the fact that someone is asking her a question. She turns to Mr. Graham. "Thus far I have heard nothing out of the ordinary, only standard communications to and from the ship. As well as beyond us in the--the neighborhood." Kylah uses his casual term a little shyly. "I will alert you if that should change, sir."

She adjusts her scan to make a broader sweep, just to see if there is anything a little further out that should be noted.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham listens to Kylah's response and just ever so slightly pivots the chair in her direction. "Very good. Keep up the good work, Ensign," he replies before turning his attention back to making heads and tails of some of the controls on the big chair that have changed in the ten years since he's last sat in one..

Registered
    Sep 2009

Onn sees that replacing an inlet flow sensor takes about half an hour, if all goes well. Each is about the size of a communicator and is firmly and sometimes inconveniently situated. Neither of the sensors mentioned by the Captain and Chief Engineer has had previous problems, and both are less than a year old; IFSs usually last at least five years.

Jones nods towards Three Crows. "Mr. Three Crows found the compartments open. Ensign?"

The Indian woman tells Collins, "I was on routine patrol and found them like this, ma'am. Storage Compartment E202 holds self-sealing stem bolts; E204 holds wire of various gauges. Nothing particularly valuable, and nothing missing, it looks like."

Sasok nods and says to Graham, "Aye, sir. If I may have a few moments...?"

Kylah's broader comm sweep turns up little of interest, although there is some higher-band subspace interference from the brown dwarf which Rangin earlier noticed.

Ens. Josiah F. Russell enters the Bridge and sits at the Security station where Collins had been. The Tactical post remains vacant, which is not unusual when the ship is at neither Yellow nor Red Alert.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Self-sealing_stem_bolt

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah flushes at the compliment from Mr. Graham. He means well and has good intentions, of course. But overpraising someone for performing such a basic-level task is what one might do for a child.

She thanks him quietly and examines the interference from the brown dwarf. It seems unlikely there is any reason to attempt to filter the stray noise and strengthen the sensor sweep. Then again, they would not have caught the Naradraen's signal if it had been thus hidden and no effort had been made to seek it out.

Deciding to err on the side of caution--especially since there is nothing much else to focus on, which means her mind might wander back to either her unpleasant thoughts or the man not far away at the Science station--Kylah tries to find a way to break through the interference.

Registered
    Apr 2015

With a nod at Booker's order, Nia sends the data over to Sasok. Both IFSes failing so quickly? Either we got stuck with subpar goods a year ago when they were installed, or... Her mouth purses. She's not entirely sure what the or should be. Sabotage? In such a remote, hard-to-access area? There are multitudes of easier and less obscure ways to mess up a ship. Then again, obscurity might be the whole point.

The thought makes Nia roll her eyes at her own paranoia. Right. And this mythical saboteur planned it a year ago. Talk about a slow burn.

Most likely it's just a faulty pair from the same lot of dud sensors. But why fail now? Nia mulls this over. They might not currently be pushing their warp capabilities, but during the chase of the Klingon shuttle last week, the Yorktown certainly didn't spare the metaphorical horses.

She voices the possibility aloud, and adds, "Mr. Sasok, is it possible that these IFS issues were triggered by the higher-than-usual warp speed? Or even some damage from the Klingons' phaser attacks that we didn't catch?"

Turning her head, she looks back at Booker. "Might be interesting to investigate the Starfleet database to find out if there've been any complaints or reports of similar IFS flaws on Constitution-class ships." Her chin lifts slightly in the direction of the young Elasian woman behind them both. "Maybe someone good at research...?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 02 May 2016 at 12:30 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Well," Collins says in response to Three Crows' report, "a thorough inventory needs to be done. Better to find out now that everything is there, than to learn later one or two items were missing."
    She turns to Jones "Don't these cabinets have access logs? Have they been checked? Perhaps this corridor should have tighter security."
    To the whole group she asks "Who was on watch in Engineering when this happened? Did they notice anything at all, that maybe they thought wasn't worth reporting? What, if anything, can be made or altered using stem bolts and wires? Has anyone checked the tools storage for recent access and/or usage?"

Registered
    May 2013

Graham nods. "Very good. Mr. Kylah please make a search of the appropriate Starfleet channels."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah determines that the subspace interference from the brown dwarf is quite limited and very unlikely to keep the Yorktown from receiving any comm traffic. The interference will diminish as the starship moves further away, dwindling to nothing in three or four hours at the most. She checks Starfleet Engineering tech advisories for the past year and sees no reference to IFS flaws aboard Constitution-class starships.

Sasok says judiciously, "More likely the former than the latter, Lieutenant, I believe. The Klingons used disruptors, not phasers, but none of their attacks hit anywhere close to the IFSs. A thorough scan of them, once removed, should tell us more."

Jones listens to Collins and shakes his head. "No access logs for stowage of low-value stuff like this. The corridor is usually unoccupied. As for the inventory, we were just waiting for... ah, here he is."

"Sorry about that," Ens. Oscar Rico says, walking down the corridor with a tricorder in hand. "I had to download the compartments' manifest."

When Collins repeats her questions, the young, eager-looking Engineering officer says, "I was on watch in the nearest Engineering compartment. I didn't notice anything at all out of the ordinary. Stem bolts and wires... hmmm. I dunno. Nothing dangerous that I can think of. They're not explosive or anything. Tools storage? There are six locations on this deck alone, and people are in and out of 'em all the time."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 02 May 2016 at 02:18 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"But aren't there access logs for the tools? I mean, don't we need to know where each tool is at any given time?" Collins asks Rico. "Could the bolts and wires be used to bypass a circuit, or cause trouble some other way? Don't forget, we've already had a sabotage attempt on this ship." She realizes her voice is getting a little loud, so she takes a breath. "Okay, do the inventory, and send me the report. If there is a bottom to this, I'd like to get there quickly." Too bad this isn't Old Earth. They'd have already dusted for fingerprints. Why don't we do that anymore? Collins wonders. She turns to Jones. "Can you think of anything I've left out?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rico says, "No, tools are in circulation just about all the time. We use them a lot - there's no access logs for them. I suppose the bolts and wires could be used that way, but I've never heard of anyone doing so, and I'm not sure how it would be done. If someone were really determined to damage the ship, there are more direct ways to do it." He looks at Jones, then back to Collins. "I'm sorry, I didn't know there'd been any sabotage on board. When was that?"

Jones replies to Collins, "I think we should scan for DNA and fingerprints, too."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"There was an incident during my first mission," Collins replies to Rico. When Jones makes his suggestion, Collins looks at him with wide eyes, and opens her mouth to say she was just thinking that, but decides against it. Instead she says "Good. Yes. Do that. Keep me posted. I have to get back to the Bridge. I'll send an update to Commander Vargas, too." She nods to each of the crew standing there, then heads to the turbolift. "Bridge" she tells it, then tries to shake the embarrassment of not having suggested the obvious herself.

Registered
    Feb 2009

With Graham in the big chair, Rangin decides that discretion is the better part of valour. There is no way he will be able to talk to Kylah, and he doesn't trust Graham enough not to do something petty while acting BCDO.

Instead, he just continues to carry on his duties at the station.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Aye, ma'am," Jones says. Mahmoud unlimbers his tricorder to begin a scan as Rico takes inventory.

The turbolift whisks Collins back to the Bridge, where she sees Graham in the big chair.

Rangin's sensors show all is well in the Yorktown's immediate vicinity.

Not long after, a light begins blinking on Kylah's board. She listens using her earpiece; it is a coded incoming live message from Starbase 11, intended for the BCDO.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 03 May 2016 at 02:29 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah turns toward the captain's chair and relays the information to Mr. Graham, a slight frown of curiosity lowering her brows. "May I put it through, sir?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

When Collins sees Graham in the center of the Bridge, she smiles. She decides to walk through the center to get to her station, rather than walking around the outer deck. As she passes Graham, she gives him a friendly slap on his upper back. She then takes her seat and composes a message to Cmdr Vargas updating him on the cabinet case, and sends it off.
    When Kylah tells Graham of the incoming message, Collins turns her chair a bit to get a better view of Graham as he deals with this. She is still smiling.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's musings about how sweet it would be if the universe conspired to offer him an opportunity to assign Rangin with a rectal thermometer to take the temperature of a rabid mugato are interrupted by Kylah and Collins.

He almost smiles in surprise when the latter slaps his back, but he reins it in.

The big chair deserves a straight face...

"Very good, make it so, Mr. Kylah," he says with a slight turn of his head and a nod as he gives his jersey a downward tug into a comfortable position.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah presses several buttons, accepting the message, decoding it and putting it on the main viewscreen. The starscape clears to show a handsome older black man in Starfleet uniform sitting in an office, his hands folded before him.

"Starbase 11 to USS Yorktown," he says. "This is Rear Admiral Lawrence Stone." He focuses on the figure in the big chair. "To whom am I speaking?"

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Stone_(Commodore)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins swivels her chair a bit more to also see the screen.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham was probably already sitting up straight, but whether or not it's possible for some sort of psychological straightness to permeate his posture, he certainly feels if it does.

"Sir--Ens. Booker Graham, BCDO Yorktown."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Stone nods. "Thank you, Mr. Graham. I have a new assignment for the Yorktown. We've lost contact with the Federation civil advisory group on Sigma Iotia II. You are to proceed there at once, provide any needed assistance, and report your findings. The necessary authorization and briefing materials will follow at the conclusion of this conversation. The frigate Orellic will take up your patrol route. Any questions?"

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Sigma_Iotia_II
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 05 May 2016 at 11:17 AM.

Registered
    May 2013

"Of course, sir," Graham replies. "Were there any signs of trouble before they went dark?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"None," Adm. Stone says. "They're supposed to check in via subspace radio once a week, and didn't send their scheduled signal yesterday. We always wait 24 hours in these cases to see if it's a simple mechanical problem or the like, but we've still heard nothing."

Collins receives a text on her communicator: Happy Valentine's Day, Jer. Thinking of you! XOXO COOPER.

Registered
    Feb 2009

When her communicator buzzes, Collins turns back to her console. Cooper's message makes her happy, so she messages back You, too, Ben. Happy Valentine's Day. Dinner *and* tonight?

Registered
    May 2013

"Understood, sir. Yorktown out."

(Assuming Stone ends the transmission) Graham says:

"Nav - lay in a course for Sigma Iotia II, but do not change course until ordered."

"Lt. Collins, prepare to brief Capt. Singh on any security-related issues based on the briefing documents and any other information you dig up."

"Likewise, Mr. Kylah, you will brief the captain on recent Starfleet communications and notable events related to Sigma Iotia."

Then Graham hails Capt. Singh.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins is startled at hearing her name, because she was thinking about Cooper, but she did hear what the Admiral said about Sigma Iotia II, so she says "Aye, Sir" to Graham and starts pulling together the information.
    She types the following into the computer:
    Display the staffing details of the Federation Civil Advisory Group on Sigma Iotia II
    Display their last three reports
    Display any civilian reports relating to the FCAG
    Display all constabulary reports time stamped since the FCAG's last report
    Display an overview of any and all security risks

While the computer clicks and whirs, Collins reads the briefing documents on her datapad.
    Last edited by anyrose; 06 May 2016 at 01:53 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Cooper replies, Sounds good - strike that; sounds great! See you soon.

The admiral says, "Thank you, Mr. Graham. Good luck. Stone out." The viewscreen returns to the image of stars and deep space ahead of the ship.

Lt. JG John Brooks, at Nav, snaps the switches on his console. "Course plotted and laid in, sir, but not implemented, as ordered. We are now four hours, twelve minutes away at Warp 8." Onn sees on her own board that this is correct.

The Captain replies to Graham at once: "Yes, Ensign?"

Collins quickly reviews the files on Sigma Iotia II. They are classified, but not above her clearance level. The Federation has a five-person advisory group on the world, the latest of several in the past couple of years. Their last three reports, on helping Iotian society become more united and less violent, are somewhat vague. There are no civilian reports, and no constabulary reports. Security risks include turmoil, intrigue and occasional violence among the Iotian leadership, persistent violence and crime in Iotian society generally, and reported Orion pirate activity in a neighboring sector.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin sits back in his chair and continues monitoring. It would be remiss of him not to ensure that the ship is safe and he turns the scanners towards Sigma Iotia II to check what is in the area.

Registered
    Mar 2012

"Aye aye, sir," Kylah says, not very certain. She does not know what events would be of use to the captain that Collins would not already be picking up.

She searches for any communications or news items related to the planet.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia murmurs, "Warp 8. That's... I'd like to get confirmation from Engineering that we're okay to go with the IFSes before going full throttle like that, especially if going fast's what caused the problem in the first place. Mr. Sasok, can you please see if you can get an update from the Chief on our status there?"

Closed thread