Closed thread
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #5: "Of Captains and Capos"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah feels comforted by Mr. Graham's gesture, and certainly safer by his side. It is difficult to ignore the secret she is keeping from him at Mr. Rangin's order.

When they are greeted by Okmyx, she nods her head modestly and waits to be allowed to speak. The president does not appear to know their names--should she be the one to introduce Mr. Graham to him? The man seems to think she has no voice of her own.

But Kylah's main worry is that Mr. Graham will give his rank; a mere ensign might be looked on as not worthy of respect. Worse, it might be seen as disrespect on the part of Starfleet, to have sent a lower-ranked officer as its representative. Even though we did not know we would be meeting him, he could be insulted. We cannot expect rationality from these... these vulgar brutes, she thinks, revisiting the dark mental image of the blood streaming down that poor old man's face down in the lobby.

"If you please, Mr. President," she says with a slight dip, not quite a curtsey but still a gesture of humility. Her free hand gestures gracefully toward Mr. Graham. "May I present Booker Graham? He is our Team Commander, from Earth, and is a security expert on our starship. The Vulcan you speak of is Lieutenant T'Var, our ship's highly esteemed doctor."

She lets her hand fall back to her side. "And I am Kylah, sir, from Elas, a planet that just joined the Federation a few short months ago. I am only an Ensign, very fortunate indeed to have been selected--" Kylah glances up at Graham, as if he were the one to choose to bring his 'dame' on the mission, and then returns to Okmyx with a small smile. "--And to have the unexpected opportunity to meet the famous leader of Sigma Iotia II."

Belatedly she adds, "Oh! Forgive me, I did not explain... My own specialties are communications and protocol. It is my job to assist the Team Commander in whatever way is needed to facilitate mutual understanding." Her gaze focuses intently on the president while she tries both to flatter him and, more importantly, to glean some empathic sense of his sincerity.
    Last edited by choie; 12 Oct 2016 at 12:33 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Charmed," Okmyx says as he takes and lightly, gallantly kisses the hands of both Kylah and T'Var. Kylah has an empathic sense of the President's surface charm, but very little sincerity, for more than anything she perceives his steely resolve and ruthless ambition. He did not get where he is by being a pushover.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"I doubt they have comms," Collins says pensively, her back to Zebo, "They used to use a bulky analog device but I remember reading something about tapped wires?"

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

"We're fortunate too...enjoy...theveyrbestonboard Yorktown," Graham says, straightening his posture and in the process fully filling out his chest as he gestures a bit as if toward the ship with his free hand. Then he gives Kylah a quick glance and a part on the arm..

"And...I can see that you do, too." He nods his head in the direction of where they entered. "It's...unfortunate...we should be meeting under the present distressing circumstances."

Who the hell do I...I sound just like Captain James Kirk, he realizes, remembering vids of briefings and interviews of the famous captain.

Well, I'm just trying some gangster-like bravado and...Well, Kirk did basically re-order the entire fucking planet so maybe that's a good thing...

Registered
    Sep 2009

Zabo says, "Are you two yakkin' about phones? Telephones?"

Okmyx chuckles ruefully. "Yeah, that's true. Well, come on, sit down. Let's talk - see if we can help each other out. Hey, you want anything to drink?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Yeah, guess so," says Rangin over his shoulder as he turns to face the mobster. "If they are holed up for a while, they're going to make some calls sooner or later. Even if its just for a delivery of food." He shrugs as if the info it could gain is not important but merely useful. "If we can get an idea of what they are on about, short of going next door and putting a glass on the wall, it all helps." He stops shakes his head, he is starting to ramble on slightly, "What I mean is yes, and if you can subvert them, good."

He looks back down at the readings, "Then again, from these, I think we can guess who are kidnappers are, and who the victims are." Thinking back over the tricorders, he wonders if the Yorktown's sensors would be any better but given the closeness of the humanoid types, it would be tricky to differentiate between them. But, if there is a group of seven in a close confined space, that did call for one other possibility.

"If they are not moving around much, I wonder if we could just transport the group out in one go? What do you think?" Rangin turns and poses the question to Collins.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"To where? The ship?" Collins almost smirks. The captain would love that. "Pointless unless the sensors can tell the difference between Iotians and Terrans. That is, if the task force is all Terran. Could be others involved, right?"

She thinks for a moment and adds "Aren't we trying to minimize the outside influences?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Zabo says, "I could try to line up a phone tap for you, if you want, but I dunno when they might use the phone. Can't you do anything better - or quicker - with those space-doodads of yours?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah tries not to be concerned by Mr. Graham's sudden odd change in speech pattern. She wonders what his plan is, and what Okmyx really wants from them all.

The knowledge that the hostages have been found--so it seems--weighs heavily on her. Is this not a waste of time? Ensuring the CAG group's safety was the primary goal of this mission. If that has been done, what else are they here for? Why are they not being ordered to join the rest?

Mr. Graham and Dr. T'Var should be part of a rescue; they would be of great use. Kylah remembers how deadly Dr. T'Var's shooting was back on the Sakathian station, and Mr. Graham obviously knows battle tactics. Besides, surely any conflict would be short-lived. The Iotians' ancient weapons are no match for phasers. If I could just tell Mr. Graham, we might be able to join the others...

But Mr. Rangin most emphatically did not want that. Why? Does he hate Mr. Graham so much? Or just me? Kylah blinks in dismay at the notion and tries to concentrate on the President, though she cannot avoid this train of thought. Does he want all the credit? To prove... something?

Kylah purses her lips and gives an imperceptible shake of her head. It is probably best to stay here for now. Leaving might alert the President that they know something. And--if Okmyx is indeed responsible--he could contact the kidnappers to warn them ahead of time.

So there is nothing for her to do but murmur a "no, thank you" to the President's offer of drink. She would not dare ingest anything served by what she perceives is a canny, dangerous man. And with a relatively hard squeeze of Mr. Graham's arm, she hopes to prevent him from accepting either... though she strongly suspects he does not need the warning.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins turns to face Zebo. He amuses her. "These 'space doodads' work best on other 'space doodads'. The level of tech, uh, mechanical and electronic things, used here are more difficult. Mind if we call the ship for assistance?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Zabo (not Zebo) says, "Sure, go ahead."

T'Var and Morris also decline Okmyx's offer of a drink. He pours himself a big glass of what looks like Scotch from a collection of elegant glass bottles on a sideboard, then waves you into the big, comfortable chairs around the coffee table. Kalo stands watchfully nearby. One of the guards outside closes the doors to the huge office, leaving you alone.

"So," Okmyx says, sitting down and picking an imaginary piece of lint from his immaculate suit. "What can we do to help you find your guys? Kidnapping, that's terrible. Just terrible. You know I want to keep the Federation happy. Kirk, he helped us set up the Syndicate, and it's been great. Things have never been better around here."

As with past interviews/interrogations, ask Okmyx as many questions as you want, all in a row, and he'll respond as if it were a conversation.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham declines the offered drink "given we're on duty."

He forces himself not to react to the squeeze of his arm--wondering if he's missing something she's keyed in on. He can't identify anything, but given how confident she's been lately, he's sure she'll speak up if needed.

He nods at the invitation to sit and gestures for the other members of the team to do so. Sticking with the act, he leads Kylah to a seat next to where he wants to sit, gestures that she should sit and offers to gallantly holds her hand as she does so.

Then he sits himself. He rubs his chin in response to Okmyx' comment.

"That's good to hear, Mr. President." He frowns slightly. "if things are so good, you would think everyone would want to keep the Federation happy. Do you know of anyone who might not?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"With your permission?" Collins asks Rangin as she reaches into her bag for her communicator.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Okmyx says in disgust, "Everybody who wants to be in my shoes. Everybody who wants to get a piece of my action: Krako, Tepo, Molyx, Folyx, Zatto and who knows who else. All of 'em but Krako, they want the Syndicate to keep going - they just wanna be the top guy."

Registered
    Mar 2012

While nodding at Okmyx's answer--and doing her best to memorize the litany of names until she can take note of them later--Kylah glances at Mr. Graham and wonders if it would be prudent for her to speak without permission. She hesitates before murmuring a deferential "If you please, sir, may I...?" Then, if Mr. Graham indicates she is free to speak, she looks back at the Iotian leader. All she knows right now is that she must act as if she does not know where these hostages have been taken.

"I would like to go backwards to the specifics, if that is all right, Mr. President.

- "When did you--or one of your underlings--last have any contact with the CAG members who are now missing? And what was the contact regarding?"

- "How and when did you learn that the CAG members had disappeared? Was there a witness?"

- "As the leader of the Syndicate who wishes to maintain good relations with the Federation, you were obviously concerned by this disappearance. Have you taken any measures to locate them or identify the perpetrators? We do not want to duplicate your efforts," she adds tactfully.

- "I believe there are regional gangs and bosses in charge of various locations, and they function as... enforcers of, well, not the law, but... whatever standards of behavior you require. Who is the boss responsible for the territory in which the CAG headquarters is located? Of course, it is not far from here... is there anyone, besides yourself? And if so, may we speak with him or--with him?" She barely catches herself before saying or her, realizing it is unlikely that a woman would be in such a position.

- "This Krako; I understand he is your second-in-command... What led him to turn against the Syndicate?"

- "...And if he wishes to be in your shoes but does not want the Syndicate to continue, what precisely does he want instead? How would that be facilitated by capturing members of the Federation?"

- "We are desperately hoping to find our Federation colleagues alive and well. Do you believe them to be--" Kylah cuts off her words and makes her voice quaver slightly with worry. "Do you think they have come to harm?"

- "No doubt you have eyes and ears almost everywhere, sir, but you do mention that you have some rivals, and possibly they have followers too. Do you know of any... well, gathering places... where such upstarts and cohorts--if any--might congregate?"

- "I am not experienced with kidnapping--" Suddenly Kylah nearly loses her train of thought, and her nervous act turns into reality when she realizes that yes, she actually is experienced in such a thing. Her face turns warm and she forces the memories of Anubis away. "But... but I believe there is usually some ransom, reward or demand involved. Despite this, we have had no contact from them, which is troubling. As someone who has lived in a land where such things are commonplace, your expertise is invaluable. Why would someone snatch these CAG members, who seem to have had nothing especially valuable except their own knowledge, without telling us what they want?"

Kylah will, of course, wait for each answer and allow Mr. Graham the opportunity to take over as the only experienced investigator on the team.
    Last edited by choie; 17 Oct 2016 at 03:08 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin muses on the problems for a moment. "I hate mights and maybes and possiblys. I've no intention of running in causing havoc unless we know exactly what we are getting into."

He nods to Collins. "Do it. See if the Yorktown sensors can get a better reading on that room and check the possibility of a transport out."

He then looks across at Zabo. "I'd still like to get an eyeball on the people in that room. Confirm visually it's the group we're looking for. Any good ideas, other than going up and knocking on the door?"
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins nods and opens her communicator. "Collins to Yorktown. We could use a little help from the ship's sensors."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah asks, "When did you--or one of your underlings--last have any contact with the CAG members who are now missing? And what was the contact regarding?"

The President gestures to Morris. "It was just a day or two earlier, wasn't it? You and two of the others attended a Syndicate board meeting. Nothing out of the ordinary said or done, as I recall."

Morris nods.

"How and when did you learn that the CAG members had disappeared? Was there a witness?"

"Pretty soon - like an hour or two later, maybe. There were a couple of witnesses to the snatch, people on the street. Word got to me real fast. This is a big deal."

"As the leader of the Syndicate who wishes to maintain good relations with the Federation, you were obviously concerned by this disappearance. Have you taken any measures to locate them or identify the perpetrators? We do not want to duplicate your efforts."

"Oh, sure, I got my boys looking all over, sweetheart. This is a top priority. Top! They've been pretty well-hidden, though, if they ain't already dead. So far we've come up with real little, I'm sorry to say. But it ain't for lack of tryin'."

"I believe there are regional gangs and bosses in charge of various locations, and they function as... enforcers of, well, not the law, but... whatever standards of behavior you require. Who is the boss responsible for the territory in which the CAG headquarters is located? Of course, it is not far from here... is there anyone, besides yourself? And if so, may we speak with him or--with him?"

Okmyx sticks his jaw out. "It happened right here in my own territory, honey. That's what really sticks in my craw. But they won't get away with it, believe you me."

"This Krako; I understand he is your second-in-command... What led him to turn against the Syndicate?"

He scoffs. "Krako's the Syndicate chairman of the board; that's nothing. Kalo's my second-in-command, my strong right arm. Right, Kalo?"

"Right, boss," the mook says, smiling with satisfaction.

Okmyx goes on, jabbing his finger, "Kirk wanted me to throw a bone to Krako, is all, when I became the President. He's got his head filled with all this Starfleety stuff - no offense - and he's turned his back on The Book. That just ain't right, I think. Crazy talk from a crazy man."

"...And if he wishes to be in your shoes but does not want the Syndicate to continue, what precisely does he want instead? How would that be facilitated by capturing members of the Federation?"

Okmyx says, "He wants a Federation here, right here on our world. He'd end the Syndicate. Says he wants to be 'Captain.' That's just nuts, if you ask me. The Book shows us the way - with the Syndicate, it'll only get better. We're just not ready for Federation stuff, not yet - not for a long time."

"We are desperately hoping to find our Federation colleagues alive and well. Do you believe them to be--" "Do you think they have come to harm?"

He turns somber. "It's possible. Like I said, it's been so hard to find them, I think maybe somebody already snuffed 'em, honey. Hope not, though."

"No doubt you have eyes and ears almost everywhere, sir, but you do mention that you have some rivals, and possibly they have followers too. Do you know of any... well, gathering places... where such upstarts and cohorts--if any--might congregate?"

"Sure, sure. A hundred of 'em. And we've checked 'em all. So far, nothing."

"I am not experienced with kidnapping--" "But... but I believe there is usually some ransom, reward or demand involved. Despite this, we have had no contact from them, which is troubling. As someone who has lived in a land where such things are commonplace, your expertise is invaluable. Why would someone snatch these CAG members, who seem to have had nothing especially valuable except their own knowledge, without telling us what they want?"

He takes a drink and shakes his head. "You got me, sweetheart. I'm as baffled as you are. There's been no ransom demand, nothing like that. That's partly what makes me wonder if maybe they've already been ventilated."

Zabo rubs his chin and says to Rangin, "Uh... I dunno. Maybe drill or poke a tiny hole in the wall to take a peek?"

"Yorktown here," comes the response to Collins. "This is Science Officer Roble. What can we do for you, Lieutenant?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 17 Oct 2016 at 03:00 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Rangin took some readings," Collins tells Roble, "but our tricorders aren't as fine tuned as the ship's sensors. Could you tell who in a room at these coordinates", Collins taps the numbers based on their location and where Zabo indicated the suspects and victims likely are, "is Iotian and who is Terran or other?"

Registered
    May 2013

After initially nodding his approval for Kylah to ask her questions, he states "Excellent questions, Mist--, ah Miss Kylah." Graham says after Omkyx answers.

"And thank you your efforts so far, Mr. President," he adds.

"You said Krako wants to be the "Captain' of a 'Federation' here. Any idea how that happened, Mr. President?...or...Mr. Morris?"

"How's Krako been pushing his Feddy captain agenda...is there risk of armed conflict?"

The fact that the kidnappers took a computer rather than weapons nags at Graham. What could they want that for?

Registered
    Sep 2009

See post 168.

Roble says, "Stand by. Beginning scan now." After half a minute or so he says, "There are seven people in the apartment, but it's impossible, given their common human genome, to tell the Iotians from the Terrans."

Graham says, "You said Krako wants to be the 'Captain' of a 'Federation' here. Any idea how that happened, Mr. President?...or...Mr. Morris?"

Okmyx replies, "You know, he's the only guy to actually go up to Kirk's ship. To tell you the truth, I think it changed him - turned his head - made him a little cuckoo. Or a lot cuckoo. He knows he'll never run the Syndicate, and now he wants to try something else to become the top guy."

Morris says slowly, "It could be something like that. He is very ambitious and also very impressed, or so he says, by our Federation and its technology."

"How's Krako been pushing his Feddy captain agenda...is there risk of armed conflict?"

"Well, it's just now coming out into the open," Okmyx says. "He just had a big rally earlier today, and his people are out there, wearing uniforms and pretending to be Feddies. But my sources tell me he's been laying the groundwork for awhile. And armed conflict? You bet your ass, especially if he thinks he's gonna try to make a move on me or the Syndicate." He jabs his finger again. "Over my dead body!"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Though the majority of President Okmyx's responses are of little value since he claims such ignorance of a major crime that occurred right under his nose, Kylah cannot help a slight lowering of her brows in a frown when she ponders the timeline of the capture, as Okmyx has just given it.

So... only a half-hour earlier, Lt. Morris and two of his kidnapped colleagues had been here. And yet somehow they were separated, fortuitously enabling Lt. Morris to avoid capture.

Her mind reaches into her earlier conversation with the historian. He most certainly did not tell us about this meeting. In fact, he claimed to have been doing field research before returning home... alone. Only thirty minutes of research? Letting him arrive just in time to view the kidnapping?

And the President seems to have known about those costume-wearing Federation worshippers, not to mention that Mr. Krako has seemingly split off from the Syndicate altogether. Why was Krako's defection news to Lt. Morris, if he previously dealt with him?

With a miniscule shake of her head, she sets these aside in a 'Questions to ask Morris' box, to be opened at a later time once they are alone. To be honest, she wishes they were interviewing the president without Morris here at all. It might have been valuable to compare their answers.

She focuses on Okmyx's emotions again. How is he dealing with this interview thus far? She tries to keep a close 'eye' on anything that sparks any fluctuations in his overall mood, to the degree that she can.

Now, in response to Okmyx's last words, Kylah tries to smile. "Let us hope that will not be necessary," she says smoothly. "Now that Mr. Krako has left your organization, I am sure the rest of your men are loyal believers of The Book. Mr. Kalo is an able right-hand man. Although you must have several in the lower ranks who are just as loyal..."

Crossing her legs, she tilts her head and examines the president with interest. "Which makes me wonder, Mr. President. What little I know of the organizational hierarchy explained in The Book indicated that such gangs are often ruled by families. Just to broaden my knowledge of your culture, is that still true? Do you have any children--well, sons--who are following in your footsteps?"

"Although Mr. Krako is clearly wrongheaded in thinking the planet is ready to join the Federation, you do seem to think it might be, someday. You have seen some of our technology, I believe. It must have sparked your curiosity, perhaps even your ambition to acquire some. Did you ever ask the CAG to teach you about the various gadgets and devices in their possession? Mr. Kalo and his men seemed quite adept at dealing with the Federation security locks on the CAG's apartment door." She smiles again in appreciation.

"Who were the other two CAG members who met with you? Would you say you were on good terms with all the CAG members? Their research and studies did not cause trouble for you, I hope. The Federation tries to be as unobtrusive as possible... Even if you had a good working relationship, do you know of anyone who resented their staying here?"

"Do you think it would benefit us to speak directly with Mr. Krako? You would not object if we did, I hope?"

Kylah hesitates in thought. Morris's presence is troublesome in the extreme. She does not want to ask President questions that might reveal her mistrust of the lone remaining CAG member in front of the very man in question. And yet she cannot think of an excuse that would get Morris out of this meeting. Her mind works quickly. Well, if I cannot get Morris to leave, perhaps I can get the President's answers another way.

"If you will excuse an unrelated comment, Mr. President, I greatly admire your headquarters here. This building is perhaps the most elegant, beautiful one I have ever seen, outside of my home planet. No offense to the Terrans here," she says with a somewhat flippant dismissiveness. As she speaks, she toys absently with the clasp of the bejeweled bracelet on her wrist.

"And it is so very tall, it must have an extraordinary view of the city up on the roof or a balcony, if there is one. This is somewhat unorthodox, I admit, President Okmyx... and I do not want to take up too much of your time. But I do not suppose you would consider giving us a quick tour before we leave? You could point out some of the different sights to us--including some areas that might be good locations for us to search."

She hopes the president--not to mention, Mr. Graham!--will go along with this. If not, she has a contingency plan.
    Last edited by choie; 18 Oct 2016 at 02:55 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Yeah," Collins tells Roble, "but it was worth a shot. How about listening in? Can you get anything?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah senses that Okmyx believes he's telling the truth... mostly. He is not above shading, spinning or omitting things that might not be in his self-interest, but so far she has not detected an outright lie.

She says, "Now that Mr. Krako has left your organization, I am sure the rest of your men are loyal believers of The Book. Mr. Kalo is an able right-hand man. Although you must have several in the lower ranks who are just as loyal..."

Okmyx puts in, "Well, Krako hasn't said outright that he's resigning as chairman of the board, but you bet your bottom dollar he'll be out if he doesn't shape up. And yeah, Kalo here is the best, just the best, but my whole crew is loyal. They'd better be."

"Which makes me wonder, Mr. President. What little I know of the organizational hierarchy explained in The Book indicated that such gangs are often ruled by families. Just to broaden my knowledge of your culture, is that still true? Do you have any children--well, sons--who are following in your footsteps?"

"Yeah, sure, family is important. Always good to have little ones to carry on after you're gone." He smiles. "I got three sons and three daughters. Two of my boys may go into the biz like their old man. We'll see."

Kylah continues, "Although Mr. Krako is clearly wrongheaded in thinking the planet is ready to join the Federation, you do seem to think it might be, someday. You have seen some of our technology, I believe. It must have sparked your curiosity, perhaps even your ambition to acquire some. Did you ever ask the CAG to teach you about the various gadgets and devices in their possession? Mr. Kalo and his men seemed quite adept at dealing with the Federation security locks on the CAG's apartment door."

Okmyx glances back at Kalo, who coughs into his hand and says, "We used our binoculars and saw them punch in the numbers to get in from across the street, Boss. Then we just did it ourselves."

The President nods. "Attaboy, Kalo - that's using the old noggin." He turns back to Kylah. "Sure, we'd love to have some of the Starfleet gizmos, but Kirk, and all the CAG folks since he left, kept saying we weren't ready, it was against the rules, Prime Directive, 'non-starfaring culture,' blah blah blah. So I stopped asking. All in good time, I guess. After all, I'm a patient man."

"Who were the other two CAG members who met with you? Would you say you were on good terms with all the CAG members? Their research and studies did not cause trouble for you, I hope. The Federation tries to be as unobtrusive as possible... Even if you had a good working relationship, do you know of anyone who resented their staying here?"

"Let's see...." He takes a drink and then looks at Morris. "Hmm. Hadley and Stenhall, wasn't it, at that last meeting?"

"Stendahl, yes," Morris says after a pause.

"Right, Stendahl. Sure, sure. Yeah, I get along fine with 'em. I wanna keep the Federation happy, you know? You want to study our culture and help us along, I get that. They did their work and kept their heads down; I never had no problems with 'em. But... some people did, sure. Some people - not me, and none of my people - well, they thought we should just stick to The Book and not be thinking of someday joining the Federation, not even a long time from now. 'Resentment' might a little strong, though. It never amounted to anything. Just some grumbling, really."

"Do you think it would benefit us to speak directly with Mr. Krako? You would not object if we did, I hope?"

He shrugs and extends his arms. "Anybody can talk to anybody, sweetie. It's a free planet. Just take what he says with a grain, hell, a pound or two of salt, you know?"

Kylah hesitates in thought. "If you will excuse an unrelated comment, Mr. President, I greatly admire your headquarters here. This building is perhaps the most elegant, beautiful one I have ever seen, outside of my home planet. No offense to the Terrans here."

He beams. "Well, thanks. I helped the architects with the plans a little. We want people to see how important the Syndicate is. The HQ oughta look good and be impressive, right? We're running the whole planet from here, after all."

She continues, "And it is so very tall, it must have an extraordinary view of the city up on the roof or a balcony, if there is one. This is somewhat unorthodox, I admit, President Okmyx... and I do not want to take up too much of your time. But I do not suppose you would consider giving us a quick tour before we leave? You could point out some of the different sights to us--including some areas that might be good locations for us to search."

He frowns. "You mean, search inside the building? Waste of time. Trust me, honey, even Krako isn't that stupid. Wherever your people are, they're not here."

Roble says from the Yorktown's Bridge, "Sensors show wiring, apparently for electricity and telephonic communications, in the apartment. Let me see if I can pick up any vibrations from them... stand by." After another minute he says, "There are some muted voices. Even with sensors set at max, though, I can't get anything intelligible. Their technology is quite crude."

Zabo crosses his arms.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 18 Oct 2016 at 01:35 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah expresses surprise. "Do you mean that you have allowed Mr. Krako to remain, despite his direct opposition to your beliefs and outright call for change? That is not what I would have expected, at least from what we know about your culture. If I may say so, sir, it takes a confident, strong leader to be so lenient and gracious. I am sincerely impressed, and hope such peace continues."

"You mention 'little ones' when speaking of your children. I suppose that means your sons are too young yet to join you? Is the third destined for a different sort of job? And..." She hesitates, as if shy. "Is there a First Lady of the Syndicate?"

Okmyx's response about the technology intrigues her. It does not seem as if he knows about Dr. McCoy's lost communicator. She leans forward. "I mentioned that I was impressed with your lenience. I am also impressed by your patience regarding the CAG's stance on our advanced devices. To be candid, after the Enterprise's visit, there was some concern that there might have been some unintentional impact on your society--not just philosophical, but technological. It could be dangerous if not handled with extreme care. So there has been no attempt to duplicate the various items Captain Kirk and the others possessed?"

The president's question to Lt. Morris, and the latter's brief pause before answering, pique Kylah's interest. She mulls over their earlier words, and suddenly wonders if she misunderstood about the timing the various events as far as Morris's activities are concerned. She switches her focus to Lt. Morris and eyes him. "Forgive me, I want to make sure I heard correctly. How far in advance of the kidnapping did you three from the CAG meet with the President?"

When Okmyx does his own misunderstanding of her request for the tour, she puts a hand to her chest and smiles. "No, I beg your pardon, Mr. President, I was unclear. I certainly trust that the missing people are not here--your men would have found them by now, I have no doubt. I meant that, if there is a view of the city from such a high vantage point, you might be able to show us the different districts, and any particular places that might be ideal for someone wishing to hide several hostages. We have a map, but your own perspective is unique."

She turns to Dr. T'Var. "Forgive me, I must not take up all your time--perhaps Dr. T'Var has some questions of her own...?" She then turns to Mr. Graham. Does he feel the same as she does--that this meeting seems to be getting them absolutely nowhere?

Registered
    May 2013

Graham hopes Okmyx doesn't turn out to be a bad actor because he finds himself kind of liking the guy.

And he's deeply impressed by Kylah's playing the role she set up in the introductions to a tee...

What's changed?

Maybe keep her away from assholes like Rangin and that rich shit head on OCIII is the simple answer....

When there's an opportune moment, Graham interjects: "The meeting with the CAG..." he glances at Okmyx and back to Morris. "What kind of things have you been discussing with the CAG, Mr. President? Anything that might alarm Krako or the 'grumblers' who don't like the Federation's influence?"

He takes Kylah's suggestion as looking for an "out." Either Okmyx is a good liar, or he doesn't know where the kindappees are or who did it...

In which case we need to figure out where to start looking or who else to talk to
    , he thinks.

He follows on her last explanation: "As, ah, I think you may know, or ship can scan for...stuff...from orbit. If you were able to suggest some specific places, Mr. President..." He shrugs. "A Krako-friendly area, or places where folks might hole up if they want to lay low...we could focus the ship's sensors there."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah asks, "Do you mean that you have allowed Mr. Krako to remain, despite his direct opposition to your beliefs and outright call for change? That is not what I would have expected, at least from what we know about your culture. If I may say so, sir, it takes a confident, strong leader to be so lenient and gracious. I am sincerely impressed, and hope such peace continues."

Okmyx shrugs. "Ah, don't mention it. Krako's been bitching and moaning for awhile, but he only started talking about this local Federation stuff recently. Real recently. Saying he was a captain and not a capo, you know. Stupid stuff. Now we'll see where he goes with it."

She continues, "You mention 'little ones' when speaking of your children. I suppose that means your sons are too young yet to join you? Is the third destined for a different sort of job? And..." She hesitates, as if shy. "Is there a First Lady of the Syndicate?"

"All of my sons are old enough now, and two of them, they're, you know, kind of starting out. The third... not worth talking about." His face hardens. "And my late wife is off-limits, too. I don't wanna talk about her."

"I mentioned that I was impressed with your lenience. I am also impressed by your patience regarding the CAG's stance on our advanced devices. To be candid, after the Enterprise's visit, there was some concern that there might have been some unintentional impact on your society--not just philosophical, but technological. It could be dangerous if not handled with extreme care. So there has been no attempt to duplicate the various items Captain Kirk and the others possessed?"

"Well, that doctor fella left behind his radio, right? They came right back and asked for it, but we didn't have it. Don't know what happened to it, and our tech just isn't up to your standards, 'way behind, the eggheads tell me, so I don't know what we could've done with it even if we had it."

Kylah switches her focus to Lt. Morris and eyes him. "Forgive me, I want to make sure I heard correctly. How far in advance of the kidnapping did you three from the CAG meet with the President?"

The Potemkin officer says, "It was a Syndicate board meeting, not just with President Okmyx, and it was two days before the kidnapping."

When Okmyx does his own misunderstanding of her request for the tour, she puts a hand to her chest and smiles. "No, I beg your pardon, Mr. President, I was unclear. I certainly trust that the missing people are not here--your men would have found them by now, I have no doubt. I meant that, if there is a view of the city from such a high vantage point, you might be able to show us the different districts, and any particular places that might be ideal for someone wishing to hide several hostages. We have a map, but your own perspective is unique."

Okmyx says easily, "I'm no tour guide, but I can have somebody show you around, sure. The balcony's right out there." He gestures.

Kylah turns to Dr. T'Var. "Forgive me, I must not take up all your time--perhaps Dr. T'Var has some questions of her own...?"

"I think you have covered the issues quite well, Ensign," the Vulcan healer says. "I do not believe I have any questions I wish to ask at this time."

Graham interjects: "The meeting with the CAG..." he glances at Okmyx and back to Morris. "What kind of things have you been discussing with the CAG, Mr. President? Anything that might alarm Krako or the 'grumblers' who don't like the Federation's influence?"

Okmyx shakes his head. "No, I don't think so. Krako wasn't there, but one of his boys was as, whaddyacallit, his proxy. We were talking about the budget, and a new bridge to the East Side, and some other stuff. Nothing too controversial, as I said. I don't even think the Federation - you guys - even came up."

The Yorktown Security officer follows up on Kylah's last explanation: "As, ah, I think you may know, or ship can scan for...stuff...from orbit. If you were able to suggest some specific places, Mr. President..." He shrugs. "A Krako-friendly area, or places where folks might hole up if they want to lay low...we could focus the ship's sensors there."

Okmyx brightens. "Hey, that's a good idea. Kalo, get me a map, would ya...?"

The henchman moves off to a document cabinet.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah notes the firmness with which President Okmyx cuts off discussion of his third son--this must be the one Lt. Morris told them of, whom he thought he'd seen as part of the gang abducting the CAG. Clegg? Gredd? I will have to check my notes, she thinks while the president continues. At the reference to his wife, she lifts a hand to her mouth, genuinely embarrassed.

"Oh, Mr. President, please forgive me. I had no intent to--I only meant to ask if you were married. The grief from such a loss cannot be adequately expressed, nor shared except by a rare few. But I am terribly sorry just the same. Even if it was long ago, time does not always heal wounds."

She drops her hand back in her lap. Lt. Morris's explanation of the meeting schedule clears up her misunderstanding. She is still interested in asking some private questions away from the lone free CAG member... although now, she suspects that Kalo will be a better resource than Okmyx. How she can possibly engineer that---getting Kalo alone--she has no idea.

An idea forms when Okmyx mentions the balcony. "I would like a look out there, if you do not mind, sir. Perhaps, if you can spare him for a few moments when we are through here, Mr. Kalo would be willing to join me?" She lifts her gaze to stare with interest at the goon in question. "He could point out some of your city's landmarks."

After Mr. Graham's adroit questions, a belated thought strikes her. "Before I forget, President Okmyx, you mentioned that there were witnesses to the incident who reported it. May we have their names, so that we can hear their accounts first-hand?"

She is glad that Mr. Graham has moved the discussion back to Mr. Krako and his whereabouts. That is, after all, where the other half of the team is, and she knows they must join one another. It allows her to nod at him and touch his hand. In a tone much like a mistress asking a favor from a wealthy paramour, she says with gentle emphasis, "Oh yes, if the President can point us in the right direction, I would very much like to see this Mr. Krako person, if it is agreeable to you, Mr. Graham."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Oh, Mr. President, please forgive me. I had no intent to--I only meant to ask if you were married. The grief from such a loss cannot be adequately expressed, nor shared except by a rare few. But I am terribly sorry just the same. Even if it was long ago, time does not always heal wounds."

He waves it away. "Don't worry about it. You couldn't have known, and it was awhile ago," he says, a little gruffly.

She says, "I would like a look out there, if you do not mind, sir. Perhaps, if you can spare him for a few moments when we are through here, Mr. Kalo would be willing to join me?" She lifts her gaze to stare with interest at the goon in question. "He could point out some of your city's landmarks."

Kalo nods. "Sure. I was born here. I know the city like the back of my hand."

"Before I forget, President Okmyx, you mentioned that there were witnesses to the incident who reported it. May we have their names, so that we can hear their accounts first-hand?"

"OK. Kalo, get those names for the lady, would you?"

"Sure, boss."

In a tone much like a mistress asking a favor from a wealthy paramour, she says with gentle emphasis, "Oh yes, if the President can point us in the right direction, I would very much like to see this Mr. Krako person, if it is agreeable to you, Mr. Graham."

Registered
    May 2013

I only meant to ask if you were married. The grief from such a loss cannot be adequately expressed, nor shared except by a rare few. But I am terribly sorry just the same. Even if it was long ago, time does not always heal wounds."

Graham's listening carefully to Kylah's questions and Okymyx' answers. He's done escort duty with diplomatic corps officers twice her age who haven't done as well interacting with a head of state on a sensitive topic.

And then this.

Perfectly said.

Is this why I kind of like the guy? A planet like this...good odds she was murdered...his fault? Are we both damned souls riding in the same damn boat..?

"Of course it is," Graham replies, feeling her touch as if from far away, but forcing himself to stick to the set up of being his own mini-capo of the team. It takes a great effort but he moves his other hand, feeling as if it weighs a ton, to lightly tap the back of hers.

Small blessings: that grief isn't transmitted through the skin.

You did very well. Better than you know or I can explain right now, he thinks.

He fixes his gaze firmly on Okmyx, and speaks with corresponding authority. "I'd like to thank you for your forthrightness and hospitality, Mr. President. Our captain--a real Federation captain--will hear about it."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Okmyx is all smiles. "Hey, sure. Thanks, pal. It's a helluva situation, and we want your people back as bad as you do. We'll be sure to keep looking, and Kalo will be my guy to keep you posted."

An aide enters and speaks quietly to the President, who says to you, "Looks like I've gotta run. Good luck, huh?" He shakes hands all around, and leaves.

Kalo gestures towards the balcony. "You wanted to have a look over the city...?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah's gaze has been open and admiring when seeking permission from Mr. Graham, in accordance with the dynamic she has created. It is only because she is staring so closely at him that she senses that something discordant, something curiously weighty, is brewing within the team's leader. She blinks in surprise and, automatically and without thought, tries to home in more closely.

One second more and her conscience would kick in; she would realize she is prying where she has no business. But then Graham reaches to touch her hand.

guilt sorrow isolation loathing emptiness compassion anger grief control control control

The flood, so brief but so overwhelming, freezes the breath in her lungs, and her mouth parts wordlessly. She can only stare at him, dumbstruck by this unexpected emotional transmission. When his fingers brush past contact with her skin and he looks away again, Kylah pulls her hand into her lap, clasping it tightly. Protectively. She is concerned by and afraid of what she just experienced. What he just experienced. And why.

And she is ashamed. Whatever that was, it was private. Aside from what was almost certainly an unintentional, unconscious revelation of something deep and dark in his eyes, Graham made no attempt at all to indicate there was anything but the mission on his mind. All that control, all that forced restraint, she thinks with a sympathetic shudder. She'd felt layers upon layers of it. But she felt places where the shield was thin and worn. Vulnerable cracks in the armor--there had to be, or the rest would not have bled through.

Somehow she must drag herself back to business, just as he did with such apparent ease. She thanks the president with a respectful nod, then hears Kalo's invitation toward the balcony. With the president gone, she realizes there is even less chance of her getting time alone. Think, she demands of her chaotic mind. Think!

The map. The map, perhaps...

She stands up and moves slightly toward T'Var while looking overtly at Graham. The other ensign might fathom the meaning behind her words; the doctor will hear it directly. Hopefully the two of them will be enough. She gently lays a hand on T'Var's wrist as if merely trying to get her attention. "Doctor.. Mr. Graham... perhaps, while I take a look at the view, you two and Lt. Morris can examine the map more closely and decide upon our next course of action? As you can probably imagine," she adds to Mr. Kalo with a self-deprecating shrug, "I am not well suited to tactical discussions."

Then she looks back at T'Var, fingers still in contact with the other woman's wrist. Please, Kalo might be more open alone. I need Lt. Morris occupied. Can you keep him here? Her eyes shift to Graham again in hopes that even without explanation, he will trust that she has a plan. Even if she does get Kalo alone, the conversation will probably go nowhere--indeed, she would be astonished if it did not fail, given her dismal record lately--but surely once, just once, she might succeed.
    Last edited by choie; 21 Oct 2016 at 05:14 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

T'Var thinks, and Kylah "hears," Of course. Go ahead.

Kalo spreads out a large municipal map on the conference table, and briefly points out key locations on it, including the Syndicate HQ near the center, and the territories of the various bosses such as Krako, Tepo, Molyx, Folyx, Zatto and a half-dozen others.

He then leads Kylah out onto the balcony. The view is magnificent, for many kilometers in every direction, to the edges of the city and the forests and farmland beyond. A distant snow-capped mountain range to the west is just visible on the horizon. Kalo points out the same areas in the city as shown on the map.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham chuckles--he suspects it might sound something like an empty soulless rattle, but he's not trying to win...what were they called on Earth? An Emmy?

He gets the idea of splitting up Morris and Kalo (or Omyx, or any of them)...Morris conspicuous absence from being kidnapped is weighing on him.

"So, Mo-mo...uh, sorry, Lt. Morris--any of these areas on the map or the bosses jump out at you? Anyone the CAG was particularly comfortable with--or the opposite?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

"This is a beautiful land," Kylah says quietly once Kalo has finished. The compliment is quite sincere; it has been a while since she has seen this much variety in a territory landscape--not since the brief leave the crew was granted after the Sakathian mission.

After a brief silence admiring the view, she looks up at Kalo. "I did genuinely want to see this, Mr. Kalo. But I also wanted to speak to you alone. Not just alone, but confidentially. I will not tell the President anything of this, if I should happen to see him again." She searches his gaze to gauge his reactions. "You have a sense of honor and duty toward him, do you not? More so than the others he mentioned... those who wish to take his place, I mean."

She steps a little closer and, after a cautionary glance to make sure the others inside are still occupied, lowers her voice. "Since the Enterprise left your planet, all we know of the Syndicate and your society comes from the CAG's reports. That and the newer information Lt. Morris has given us, once we landed. But I am wary of taking things at face value, from only a single viewpoint. To be blunt, I am not certain Lt. Morris has been entirely candid with us."

Kylah hesitates while trying to think of how best to phrase her question. "Your... casual demeanor toward Lt. Morris earlier... The nickname you gave him did not seem entirely friendly. Do you have a reason to dislike the man? Or were you trying to convey a message?"

"To the extent that you may have seen the interactions among the CAG... did you notice any tensions there?"

"Have you heard rumors of Lt. Morris or any of the CAG members getting privately involved with the various rivalries within the Syndicate? Either Mr. Krako or any of the others whom the President described as--as wanting a piece of his action?"

Kylah will wait for his answers before broaching the far touchier subject she needs to address with the president's associate.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Morris rubs his chin. He thinks and then carefully replies to Graham, "It's hard to say. I think Okmyx was right. Any of the other capos, other bosses, might want to make a run at him. Embarrassing him, kidnapping a Starfleet unit under his very nose, would make him look really bad to us, and weaken his standing among the underbosses. But it's certainly possible Okmyx might himself try to force the Federation offworld. He says he likes the Syndicate, but I have to admit, I've never completely believed him. He's on top now, but always subject to our oversight. Our restraints, and our pursestrings. He might, deep down, want to return to the days when we weren't around. It's unrealistic, he ought to know that we won't leave, not for good, but maybe he thinks we'll get tired or frightened or unwilling to lose more people."

On the balcony, Kalo leans against the railing.

"...You have a sense of honor and duty toward him, do you not?" Kylah asks. "More so than the others he mentioned... those who wish to take his place, I mean."

"Absolutely," Kalo says firmly. "He knows I work for him, and him alone. I'm loyal and I always will be. I never wanted to be the boss myself; I know I'm not the right guy for that."

She steps a little closer and, after a cautionary glance to make sure the others inside are still occupied, lowers her voice. "Since the Enterprise left your planet, all we know of the Syndicate and your society comes from the CAG's reports. That and the newer information Lt. Morris has given us, once we landed. But I am wary of taking things at face value, from only a single viewpoint. To be blunt, I am not certain Lt. Morris has been entirely candid with us."

He looks at her. "I'd say that's between you and him, missy."

Kylah hesitates while trying to think of how best to phrase her question. "Your... casual demeanor toward Lt. Morris earlier... The nickname you gave him did not seem entirely friendly. Do you have a reason to dislike the man? Or were you trying to convey a message?"

He shrugs. "No, I gotta admit, I never really liked the guy. We just never hit it off, y'know? Sometimes I get the impression, I dunno, like he looks down on us or something. He studies us but doesn't think much of us." He shrugs again. "It's hard to say. So I guess I needle him a little when I can."

"To the extent that you may have seen the interactions among the CAG... did you notice any tensions there?"

"You mean, among the Starfleet folks? No. Or, really, I just dunno. I didn't really pay much attention. I never noticed them fightin' or anything, though. They all seemed OK with each other."

Kylah goes on, "Have you heard rumors of Lt. Morris or any of the CAG members getting privately involved with the various rivalries within the Syndicate? Either Mr. Krako or any of the others whom the President described as--as wanting a piece of his action?"

"No," he says flatly. "We wouldn't stand for that. Not for a second."

Kylah has the strong sense that he is being truthful with her, although he is still, she knows, keeping secrets and dark memories shielded from her.

Registered
    Mar 2012

"I see," Kylah says, clasping her hands together and trying not to look too nervous. "No, of course you would not find that appropriate. Nor would I." She draws in a deep breath. "There is one more avenue I must pursue, Mr. Kalo, and it is--it is very delicate. Especially as you are justifiably protective of President Okmyx."

She aims her attention at the sky for a moment in thought, then looks directly at Kalo. "I do not know how best to phrase this, and I hope you will forgive me if I inadvertently step over a line. The President told us that there were witnesses to the kidnapping, and proceeded to ask you for their names. Does this mean you were the one to interview them personally, and then passed along their observations to him? Or did they speak to the President himself, either in private or in your presence?"

Choose your own adventure time:

If he says they spoke with him personally and he passed along the info to the pres.:
    Spoiler (mouseover to read):
    "Did any of the witnesses identify the perpetrators in such a way--by name or physical description--that you recognized one or more of the kidnappers? Or perhaps they told you a name or names directly?" Kylah hesitates just a second before adding, "In either case, is there any suspect whose identity you might not have shared with the President, due to a personal connection on his part? Perhaps because you were not yet certain and did not wish to... to cause him distress without cause?"

If he says they spoke w/Okmyx directly with Kalo present:
    "Did any of the witnesses identify the perpetrators in such a way--by name or physical description--that the President was able to recognize one or more of them? And if so, is there anyone whose identify he might be keeping to himself due to... his own loyalties to someone closely connected?"

If he says they spoke w/Okmyx directly, without Kalo present: "
    Did the President seem particularly concerned after meeting the witnesses? That is to say..." Kylah exhales in frustration at having yet again to be so circumspect. She has dealt with enough internecine political battles and intrigue back on Elas, and is not glad to be back in such a position. An old trick occurs to her. "I will speak hypothetically," she says, choosing each careful word. "If the President knew or suspected that one of the perpetrators was closely connected with him... would he keep this information from us, and deal with the matter personally? And if you know who this person is--again, hypothetically--would such an action come as a surprise to you? I mean... would this person have participated in this act in order to impress or show disrespect to the President?"

Kylah anxiously brushes some wind-tossed curls from her face, keeping her stare on Kalo and still measuring his emotions even as she tries to radiate her own trustworthiness. She hopes she has been neither too bold nor too obscure. The other witnesses may not have even mentioned the President's son. In which case, she wonders how Morris identified him; it does not seem as if Okmyx had many dealings with the CAG at all. Why would his wayward son be so easily identifiable by Lt. Morris?
    Last edited by choie; 23 Oct 2016 at 11:26 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah aims her attention at the sky for a moment in thought, then looks directly at Kalo. "I do not know how best to phrase this, and I hope you will forgive me if I inadvertently step over a line. The President told us that there were witnesses to the kidnapping, and proceeded to ask you for their names. Does this mean you were the one to interview them personally, and then passed along their observations to him? Or did they speak to the President himself, either in private or in your presence?"

He seems uncomfortable with where these questions are going, but says, "Yeah, some of the boys and I spoke with the witnesses. Then I passed along the info to the President. He didn't talk to them himself - he's a busy man."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah anxiously brushes some wind-tossed curls from her face, keeping her stare on Kalo and still measuring his emotions even as she tries to radiate her own trustworthiness.

"Of course, I would imagine the President has a great many obligations," she says. "So if I may ask, did any of the witnesses identify the perpetrators in such a way--by name or physical description--that you recognized one or more of the kidnappers? Or perhaps they told you a name or names directly?"

Kylah hesitates just a second and makes sure her next words are delicately phrased. "In either case, was there any suspect whose identity you might not have shared with the President, due to a--well, a personal connection on his part? Perhaps because you were not yet certain and did not wish to--to cause him distress without cause? ...Which would be an understandable and considerate choice," she hastens to add.

She hopes she has been neither too bold nor too obscure. The other witnesses may not have even mentioned the President's son. In which case, she wonders how Morris identified him; it does not seem as if Okmyx had many dealings with the CAG at all. Why would his wayward son be so easily recognizable by Lt. Morris, if he is not famous enough to have been recognized by these witnesses?

Registered
    May 2013

Graham listens attentively to Morris' answer.

He keeps his appearance neutral and contemplative, but he's a little skeptical about Morris' analysis. Okmyx is in power, with our backing...what limits could he possbily want relaxed? He seems like a pragmatist, not like one to to rock the boat...

The only angle that makes sense for Okmyx to be a bad actor at the moment is discrediting Krakow's Federation Captain play, but he's not convinced that would make sense either.

"All right," Graham says, glancing at Morris and then T'Var. "Unless anyone has any other suggestions, why don't we have Yorktown focus sensor scans for alloys or materials that are non-indigenous on Krakow's territory. Hell, if he's all into the Federation, even if his people didn't do it, maybe they would have bought a piece of tech or clothing on the black market..."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Of course, I would imagine the President has a great many obligations," Kylah says. "So if I may ask, did any of the witnesses identify the perpetrators in such a way--by name or physical description--that you recognized one or more of the kidnappers? Or perhaps they told you a name or names directly?"

"Yes...," says Kalo, reluctantly.

Kylah hesitates just a second and makes sure her next words are delicately phrased. "In either case, was there any suspect whose identity you might not have shared with the President, due to a--well, a personal connection on his part? Perhaps because you were not yet certain and did not wish to--to cause him distress without cause? ...Which would be an understandable and considerate choice," she hastens to add.

Kalo says, "Yeah... uh, two of the witnesses said they recognized one of the kidnappers. Said it was one of the President's sons, the oldest, Cledd. I thought they were wrong - probably wrong - but still, I told Mr. Okmyx what I'd heard. He's smart enough to not want to, y'know, shoot the messenger. He can't make good decisions if he doesn't hear everything he needs to hear."

Kylah still senses Kalo's basic truthfulness, despite his reluctance.

Morris says to Graham, "It's 'Krako,' but yes, that might work."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Some of the tension in Kylah's muscles is released by Kalo's apparently forthright--and most important, nonviolent--reaction to her questions. She exhales in relief. "Thank you, sir. That confirms what I had heard. I hope you do not mind my not having mentioned my suspicions to you at once. I was not certain of our witness, and I did not want to offend you, or the president himself of course, by mentioning that the son appeared to be part of the group responsible for the crime.

"But," she says with a grim shake of her head, "it is hard to avoid focusing on this Cledd person now. Not only is he the only potentially identified accomplice to the CAG's abduction, but his relationship to the president may well be part of this scheme. Without breaking any confidentialities, do you think you could tell me a bit more?"

"What is the difficulty that exists between Cledd and President Okmyx? Why is the son so poorly thought of? Does he have a record of such... unapproved behavior?" Kylah was about to say 'violent or criminal behavior,' but given the vicious beating she saw downstairs, she is not sure the terms have any real meaning in this society.

"If you know him relatively well, do you know what his ultimate goal is? To prove himself to his father, to become a rival and usurp President Okmyx's role, or... something else? How competent is he? That is to say... do you think it is likely that he would achieve either goal?"

"How might taking the hostages have furthered this ambition? I--I have to believe that if the abductors wished to send a brutal message to Starfleet, the hostages would have been found already...dead.... Not hidden away for so long. What do you think?"

"Do you know Cledd's opinions about the Starfleet presence on the planet? Is he like Krako, hoping to emulate us? Or does he wish you to have nothing to do with the Federation?"

"Who are his associates, if any? Is he likely following some other leader--and if so, who? Or is he the sort who would insist on taking charge?"

"Do you know where he lives?" Kylah's gaze sweeps across the landscape again, as if hoping to find the man from such a distant view. "Any nightclubs or... or houses of leisure...?"

"What of his personal life? Has he a family? Is he the sort to seek women out? If one of us were to meet him, would he... lower his guard?" She contemplates Collins's bold and confident nature, at least as far as sexuality is concerned (if her partnership with Mr. Cooper is any guide). This might make a very good fit for someone like Cledd. If he prefers someone aloof, Dr. T'Var might be suited. Or, for that matter, one of the men might be more his preference.

A sudden thought of Mr. Graham trying to seduce a mobster's son nearly puts a smile on her face. Until she remembers the gravity of the situation. Collins and Garcia are currently in harm's way, and she is the only one who knows it. And the mission leader as well, she adds swiftly, hoping to avoid any memories that might interrupt her interview. Still...

Kylah's concern grows and she again steps forward, unable to help herself from worrying. "Mr. Kalo, I must ask: How violent is Cledd? If there were an attempt to rescue the hostages, would he be willing to negotiate, or would he kill the captives in response?" She swallows and clasps her hands more tightly. "How much danger might a rescue team face?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah says, "...it is hard to avoid focusing on this Cledd person now. Not only is he the only potentially identified accomplice to the CAG's abduction, but his relationship to the president may well be part of this scheme. Without breaking any confidentialities, do you think you could tell me a bit more?"

Kalo sighs. "The President and Cledd... well, they've had their ups and downs. Cledd is the oldest and has always wanted his dad's approval. But he's... a little wild. Not as disciplined as his dad. Not as... strategic."

"What is the difficulty that exists between Cledd and President Okmyx? Why is the son so poorly thought of? Does he have a record of such... unapproved behavior?"

"I'd better not say. But there have been problems between him and his dad, I gotta tell you."

"If you know him relatively well, do you know what his ultimate goal is? To prove himself to his father, to become a rival and usurp President Okmyx's role, or... something else? How competent is he? That is to say... do you think it is likely that he would achieve either goal?"

"He definitely wants to prove himself to the President. He'd like to succeed him someday, it wouldn't surprise me. 'Usurp'? Nah. He loves his dad, for all the problems they've had."

"How might taking the hostages have furthered this ambition? I--I have to believe that if the abductors wished to send a brutal message to Starfleet, the hostages would have been found already...dead.... Not hidden away for so long. What do you think?"

He rubs his chin. "I'm just not sure. It's puzzled me, too."

"Do you know Cledd's opinions about the Starfleet presence on the planet? Is he like Krako, hoping to emulate us? Or does he wish you to have nothing to do with the Federation?"

"Y'know, I haven't heard Cledd talk about that. He's mostly been focused on helping his dad, and doing work for the Syndicate."

"Who are his associates, if any? Is he likely following some other leader--and if so, who? Or is he the sort who would insist on taking charge?"

"Oh, he's got his own crew, his own set of guys. He don't answer to nobody but his dad."

"Do you know where he lives?" Kylah's gaze sweeps across the landscape again, as if hoping to find the man from such a distant view. "Any nightclubs or... or houses of leisure...?"

"Yeah, he lives across town. Cledd's got his own territory, the Northside, that the b--- the President assigned him last year. He owns a nightclub, the Paramount, up there. I ain't been but I hear it's real nice."

"What of his personal life? Has he a family? Is he the sort to seek women out? If one of us were to meet him, would he... lower his guard?"

Kalo smiles. "Oh, he ain't married. He definitely likes the ladies. I don't know about lowerin' his guard, though. He's pretty shrewd. I don't know any dames who've ever fooled him."

Kylah's concern grows and she again steps forward, unable to help herself from worrying. "Mr. Kalo, I must ask: How violent is Cledd? If there were an attempt to rescue the hostages, would he be willing to negotiate, or would he kill the captives in response?" She swallows and clasps her hands more tightly. "How much danger might a rescue team face?"

He nods slowly. "Yeah, he can be violent, when he thinks he has to be. He's tough, y'know? He ain't afraid to do what has to be done. He's not much of one for, uh, negotiations. You gotta be prepared for anything if you're dealing with Cledd."

Registered
    Mar 2012

All of Kalo's responses roam through Kylah's mind as she tries to find the key, the logic, to weave the threads together into a tapestry that makes sense. At last she nods at the henchman. "Thank you, Mr. Kalo. You have been extremely helpful and, I believe, candid." She starts to lift her hand to shake his, but then pauses. Her glance takes in Lt. Morris and the others visible through the window. It sounds as if her suspicions about Morris are unfounded, but nagging doubts remain.

"Actually, I--may I beg a little more time for a few more questions? First... I believe the President mentioned that the communicator left behind by the Enterprise seems to have gone missing. Did his son ever show interest in it? For that matter, does Cledd have any interest in technology at all, or are any of his men talented in that area?"

"Would Cledd's siblings have any idea of his activities? Does he confide in them?"

"Have you seen Cledd since the kidnapping? If so, what was his demeanor?"

"Finally..." Kylah's gaze again shifts toward the lone safe CAG member before she asks, "You would not happen to know if Lt. Morris has any connection to the President's son, would you?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Actually, I--may I beg a little more time for a few more questions?," Kylah asks. "First... I believe the President mentioned that the communicator left behind by the Enterprise seems to have gone missing. Did his son ever show interest in it? For that matter, does Cledd have any interest in technology at all, or are any of his men talented in that area?"

"Huh... he did ask about it at the time, now that you mention it. Funny, I kind of forgot that until now. But lots of people were talking about it at the time - it was a big deal. I don't think he has any particular interest in technology overall, though, and I don't of know none of his boys who do, either."

"Would Cledd's siblings have any idea of his activities? Does he confide in them?"

Kalo seems remarkably patient with Kylah. "I don't think so, to both," he says. "Cledd isn't a blabbermouth, and he's not too close to his brothers and sisters."

"Have you seen Cledd since the kidnapping? If so, what was his demeanor?"

"No, I haven't seen him. But that's not unusual. Sometimes I'll go a long time, weeks even, without seeing him. He's got his own stuff to do."

"Finally..." Kylah's gaze again shifts toward the lone safe CAG member before she asks, "You would not happen to know if Lt. Morris has any connection to the President's son, would you?"

Kalo raises his eyebrows. "No, not that I know of. Not to say it'd never happen, but I doubt it, just because of, y'know, their personalities. And Morris'd have no reason to go lookin' for him, as far as I know."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah pays close attention and lets out a soft exhale when Kalo finishes answering her last question. She has been waiting for him to brush her off or dismiss her, but rather fortunately she seems not to have angered him.

"Thank you again, Mr. Kalo. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your patience and willingness to assist our investigation. The President is fortunate to have you on his staff. Forgive me for having asked so much of your time." She tentatively holds out a hand, somewhat wary that he will again linger over the gesture.

Assuming the handshake goes easily enough, Kylah starts to leave the balcony but swiftly turns to face Kalo again. "Oh! I am so sorry, I nearly forgot. Can you describe Cledd to me, please? Or even better, do you know where I might find a picture of him?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kalo takes her hand and shakes it. "Don't worry about it, honey. You're... easy to talk to, somehow." His expression is almost puzzled. To her last question he replies, "About my height, a little thicker, early twenties. His eyes are a bright blue. Other than that, he kinda looks like a younger version of his ol' man. I'll... see about getting a picture for you."

He leads the way back into the President's office.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah thanks Kalo for his willingness to provide a picture. She hopes to send it to--to someone on the other team--just in case they run into anyone wherever they are.

She returns inside, rubbing her slightly chilly bare arms, and aims a look at Mr. Graham. She cannot help a quick smile and meaningful nod, unable to hide the fact that her efforts were rewarded and she can contribute at last.

Of course, if the others have already rescued the hostages, it might all be moot; she is uncertain whether their mission is to exact justice in addition to ensuring the safety of the CAG team. I suppose the team--assuming they remain in place on the planet--will not be safe until whoever took them is identified. The thought helps restore her feeling of success.

Kylah makes a beeline toward Graham and Dr. T'Var. They are with Lt. Morris, of course. She needs to get Mr. Graham alone at some point. While she can communicate with T'Var, she can hardly use the same method with the security officer. Well, if she cannot have a private conversation away from Lt. Morris, she can always use her communicator. It seems unlikely that Mr. Kalo would object now.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's ruminating over next steps when Kylah returns, and...smiles...

He's...shockingly happy...for a moment he remembers Lizzy smiling at him, or Rachel Weinstein on the job...

He reins his random feelings in and nods acknowledgement..

"Look, ah, Kalo..." He shrugs. "I think we're all on the same page as friends here, at this point. President's a no bullshit guy," he adds with what so far is a sincere compliment. "We could use a few moments someplace to contact that ship and get them looking for the missing crew members, based on what we learned. And check in with...ah, some of other folks on the surface. Can you point us to a room we can use for a few?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kalo scratches his head and says, "Sure. Right this way." He leads you out of Okmyx's office and down the hall to a smaller conference room. There is a polished wood table with six chairs and another great view out over the city, although no balcony. He posts a guard outside and closes the door behind him.

Ens. Graham, Ens. Kylah, Dr. T'Var and Lt. Morris are now alone.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 28 Oct 2016 at 11:55 AM.

Closed thread