+ Reply to thread

Thread: Kindle self-publishing

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Cool Kindle self-publishing

Hi,

This is a little cheeky as I haven't posted over here for ages, but some people might like to know I have released some of my written work on Amazon. The author name is "Douglas Porter", and it turns out there is another author or two by that name, so to help you buy my books and not his, the titles currently available are as follows:

"Dreams of Flight" (Jim, for one, has read this already)
    "Pieces of Eight"
    "Sidewinder Precision Pro"

Mods, if this is in violation of board policy then please take it down with my assurance that I will not be upset, though a PM would lessen the sting.

Many thanks.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Best of luck with the books. I put out a book late last year which, inevitably, sank without a trace.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

After the initial flurry from friends and family last week - by which I mean seven copies in total - all went quiet until last night, when I sold one more after slashing my prices. I'm now making about £0.30 per copy but hey, if I can make it back on volume.

A few people have promised to read and review but I'm still waiting, whereas I told my school librarian last week that I would read hers and review it and by the next day I'd done so. Still, if the Mello would like to take a look and mention it to their friends, whether or not they buy one themselves - you get a free chapter or two on Amazon just for the asking so you can see if it looks like you might be willing to spare the price of a dubious cup of coffee.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Sep 2009

Congrats, Malacandra. Which book would you suggest I start with?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Congrats, Malacandra. Which book would you suggest I start with?
    Dude, you'll get 53 cents change out of a fin if you buy all three...!

I rather like "Sidewinder Precision Pro" which is space-opera but if you like Treasure Island then "Pieces of Eight" may amuse. But "Dreams of Flight" will give you the most bang for your buck (well over a thousand words a cent. I mean, is that a bargain price or what?).

Reviews would be much appreciated.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

10 sales to date across all three titles - a significant landmark I guess.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sorry, your reply didn't pop up before. I'll take a look. Thanks for letting us know!

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Malacandra View post
    Hi,

This is a little cheeky as I haven't posted over here for ages, but some people might like to know I have released some of my written work on Amazon. The author name is "Douglas Porter", and it turns out there is another author or two by that name, so to help you buy my books and not his, the titles currently available are as follows:

"Dreams of Flight" (Jim, for one, has read this already)
    "Pieces of Eight"
    "Sidewinder Precision Pro"

Mods, if this is in violation of board policy then please take it down with my assurance that I will not be upset, though a PM would lessen the sting.

Many thanks.
    Wow that was a long time ago now, I was doing some software training in Chicago when I read "Dreams of Flight", I recall enjoying it. I'll see if I can at least give it a brief but favorable review on the website.

Looking at the review script, I cannot recall enough to answer all the questions.

I think
    Is there sexual content? would be none
    How is the story narrated? would be 1st person
    If you can help me out, I'll put up a review.

ETA: I see it is free to read for Amazon Prime member, do you get anything if my wife downloads it to her Kindle? No clue how any of this works. I've only read 2 books on Kindle and don't have my own, but my wife, daughter and Mother-In-Law all have Kindles.
    Last edited by What Exit?; 21 Mar 2016 at 12:34 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Hi Jim, if it works anything like Kindle Unlimited then I get paid a few cents out of a common fund. You might like to read "Dreams of Flight" again. It's a third-person narrative, sexual content is nil although it is hinted in places that something happened off-scene. The other two books are both different genres and more recent work so you have not seen either of them before.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Malacandra View post

Many thanks.
    I'm well aware of your literary ability. Congrats on releasing some works, here's hoping they do well.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Thank you! Each of the titles is yours for the price of a cup of quite forgettable coffee or about two copies of the Daily Star - and for those with no Kindles, Amazon do a free app for your computer. So as long as I'm whoring my work around the internet, please buy, read, recommend to a friend, and so on.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

OK, I haven't been on the boards since the last post here but I gave "Dreams of Flight" a 5 star review with a brief blurb.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Thank you! All reviews gratefully received.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

...and another sale just now!
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Just logged on an hour ago to see "Sidewinder Precision Pro" has been given a five-star review by someone!
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2018

Self publishing sounds like it could be good. I might have to take a look at some of your works. I am all for looking at new works.

A while ago, I tried sending a book that someone else and I collaborated on to a publisher. Granted, I have improved in many areas since we worked on that book. It's been years and we haven't heard anything. It's possibly that our book wasn't what they were looking for. Self publishing is worth a shot.

+ Reply to thread