Poll results: How Antagonistic Are You to Certain People or Behaviors

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not at all, I'm a regular Polyanna and I love everybody and everything they do

0 0%
  • I don't know and I don't care

0 0%
  • I dislike it when civilians are rude to me, and usually respond in kind and forget about it

3 75.00%
  • I dislike it when non-civilians are officious, but am polite yet circumspect

0 0%
  • I dislike it when civilians are rude to me, and usually ruminating later on about possible responses

1 25.00%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Poll: How Antagonistic to Certain Behaviors or People Are You?

Registered
    Jul 2013

Default Poll: How Antagonistic to Certain Behaviors or People Are You?

This is an odd poll, I guess, but they all are, IME, so that's just jim dandy in my book.

I was trying to correlate my personal relationship to the world, in general, to various states of mood (good mood, bad mood, basically just those to), and to dysphoric feelings (whatever those might be -- depressive, anxious, uncomfortable, and so forth).

I'll spare you the details of the results of my own investigation, but I thought it would be interesting to do a poll.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I voted option three, but I should have made this a multi-choice option, or considered more carefully the options. Actually, this is kind of a crappy poll, but whatever. I just tell people to fuck off when needed, and then go on without raising my blood pressure or breaking stride, but this doesn't preclude the more maladaptive option which occasionally crops up, which is to stew silently about it for days in an extremely foul mood.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Option 3, edging into Option 4 for me, most often. So much depends on my mood at the time, and the circumstances.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I tend to be quick to anger and quick to forget type of guy. So that is why I chose 3.

Registered
    Jul 2013

All right, who's the ruminator?

Someone's out there, ruminating. I can tell because the poll says so.

Oh, snap. Public poll, what. All right....winks....no one has to know about it.

You other two normies who said "respond in kind," you mean you actually tell people to fuck off, or probably a more polite version, like "get lost, bozo," or maybe even something clever? I see I left out an option for "ignore" -- but that's kind of a "respond in kind" response. I too keep that in my arsenal, but it doesn't really get the message across when it's a matter of some jackass taking up half the sidewalk chewing the fat with their cow friends.

I think the reason I brought this poll up is that I realized it might not be the best attitude for day-to-day life to leave my place every day girded for battle, with steely indifference and thinly-veiled contempt for everything I see, ice-water running through my veins. And it occurred to me that it's probably not that uncommon an attitude, so I wanted to see if it was or not.

Here's an alternate poll. It probably belongs in this same thread, I guess. Assuming you don't feel like responding truthfully when asked by a cop "What's your occupation": best response:

(a) "I'm a retired investor, living on a pension"
    (b) "Drifter"
    (c) "That's private"
    (d) "Are you my friend? [...] Because I discuss my business with my friends."
    (e) "Nothing"
    (f) "Nothing, drink, both."
    (g) "That's private, officer."
    (h) Ignore the question, remaining silent and not making any emotive gesture or facial expression.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I will often use sarcasm ("Thanks a lot"), say as little as possible otherwise, and get away from them as quickly as I can.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Right to the point. I like that.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 11 Mar 2016 at 04:39 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, it's not pathological paranoia if they really *are* out to get you.

Maybe it's better to be like a surfer, just swim in the tide of humanity, wade into them! spill their guts! go through them like crap through a goose!, but it's partly dissatisfying, when there is so much to disapprove of. Or, at minimum, to not give two shits about.

+ Reply to thread