+ Reply to thread
Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Post brief quotes from fiction/narrative/whatever

Registered
    Jul 2013

"'I eat no bread but one piece of toast at breakfast, no butter, no sugar, no sweets. Usually have fruit, one egg, a strip of bacon and half a glass of skimmed milk for breakfast; liver and bacon or sweet breads or ham or fish and spinach and another nonfattening vegetable for lunch with fruit for dessert. For dinner I have a fruit cup, steak, a couple of nonfattening vegetables and an ice, orange, pineapple or raspberry. So I maintain my waist line and can wear suits bought in 1935!'"--Truman, cit. in *Truman*

Truman seemed to have left out his morning whiskey of his set of rules, but that's OK.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Bourbon and branch water, IIRC.

"In less than ten years [the French] Government was changed from a republic to an empire, and finally, after shedding rivers of blood, foreign powers restored her exiled dynasty and exhausted Europe sought peace and repose in the unquestioned ascendancy of monarchical principles. Let us learn wisdom from her example. Let us remember that revolutions do not always establish freedom. Our own free institutions were not the offspring of our Revolution. They existed before. They were planted in the free charters of self-government under which the English colonies grew up, and our Revolution only freed us from the dominion of a foreign power whose government was at variance with those institutions." - Millard Fillmore (1852)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"The striking thing about Mencken's mind is its ruthlessness and rigidity ... Though one of the fairest of critics, he is the least pliant. ... [I]n spite of his skepticism, and his frequent exhortations to hold his opinion lightly, he himself has been conspicuous for seizing upon simple dogmas and sticking to them with fierce tenacity ... true skeptics ... see both truth and weakness in every case."
    --Edmund Wilson

Registered
    Sep 2009

"It might seem crazy what I'm about to say
    Sunshine she's here, you can take away
    I'm a hot air balloon, I could go to space
    With the air, like I don't care baby by the way

Because I'm happy
    Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof
    Because I'm happy
    Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth
    Because I'm happy
    Clap along if you know what happiness is to you
    Because I'm happy
    Clap along if you feel like that's what you wanna do...."

"Happy" by Pharrell Williams (2013)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"According to [an] hypothesis of Wolfram Schultz, rewards that are expected do not produce a second phasic dopamine response in certain dopaminergic cells, but rewards that are unexpected, or greater than expected, produce a short-lasting increase in synaptic dopamine, whereas the omission of an expected reward actually causes dopamine release to drop below its background level. The "prediction error" hypothesis has drawn particular interest from computational neuroscientists, because an influential computational-learning method known as temporal difference learning makes heavy use of a signal that encodes prediction error. This confluence of theory and data has led to a fertile interaction between neuroscientists and computer scientists interested in machine learning."
    --Wikipedia, "Dopamine"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I speak of the war as fruitless; for it is clear that, prosecuted upon the basis of the proclamations of September 22d and September 24th, 1862, prosecuted, as I must understand these proclamations, to say nothing of the kindred blood which has followed, upon the theory of emancipation, devastation, subjugation, it cannot fail to be fruitless in every thing except the harvest of woe which it is ripening for what was once the peerless republic." - Franklin Pierce, July 4, 1863

Feh.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Geez, you're really hitting the substandard presidents hard: first Fillmore, now Pierce? FTR, Fillmore was the first president from history years I learned to despise.

"The major problem was that his nervous system was shattered. The slightest noise upset him terribly. He was still hounded by visions of his own death before the work could be finished, of disastrous incompetence on the part of some subordinate, of precious days lost at the bridge over some technical problem he could solve in a minute were he there. He felt imprisoned within his own body. He grew extremely short-tempered. When visitors were with him he suffered the whole while. Talk of any kind tired him more than anything else. His eyesight had grown so dim he could neither read nor write nor sign his own name."
    --McCullough on Washington Roebling, in *The Great Bridge*

Registered
    Sep 2009

You will, I'm sure, see a certain pattern as to how I have quoted the Presidents.

"Sir, if you are as happy in entering the White House as I shall feel on returning to Wheatland, you are a happy man indeed." - James Buchanan to Abraham Lincoln in Inauguration Day, March 4, 1861

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well played, but I would have figured it out probably eventually. Or not. Very well-played.

"He rose early, cared little about his clothes, his customary ensemble a rumpled three-piece civilian suit, stiff detachable collar, black tie with stickpin. His main pleasures were food¿virtually anything set before him¿horseback riding, a glass of beer, conversation, and books, his reading being done according to a lifelong routine. He always kept three books at hand¿one scientific, one of classical literature or history, one light fiction¿which he took up in turn, giving each exactly twenty minutes according to a pocket watch placed on the table beside his chair. In this fashion, he said, he was able to remember what he read."
    --McCullough on Dr. Gorgas, in *The Path Between the Seas*
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 06 Aug 2016 at 02:48 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

goshdangit I should have started at no 251 and started going back. But FDR wasn't very quotable and his wife was a pig.

Very well. carry on.

"non ego cuncta meis ampleti uersibus opto,
    non mihi si linguae centum sint oraque centum,
    ferrea vox....."

Georg.II.42v. (from the "Green and Gold" Cambridge text)

translate it how you want, like "I don't want to embrace the whole of things with my verses; no, not if I had a hundred languages, and a hundred iron mouths

Registered
    Sep 2009

My Latin isn't that good, and Google can't translate it either, whatever it is.

"...If we shall suppose that American slavery is one of those offenses which, in the providence of God, must needs come, but which, having continued through His appointed time, He now wills to remove, and that He gives to both North and South this terrible war as the woe due to those by whom the offense came, shall we discern therein any departure from those divine attributes which the believers in a living God always ascribe to Him? Fondly do we hope, fervently do we pray, that this mighty scourge of war may speedily pass away. Yet, if God wills that it continue until all the wealth piled by the bondsman's two hundred and fifty years of unrequited toil shall be sunk, and until every drop of blood drawn with the lash shall be paid by another drawn with the sword, as was said three thousand years ago, so still it must be said "the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations." - Abraham Lincoln, Second Inaugural Address, March 4, 1865

Registered
    Jul 2013

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible."
    --TE Lawrence, but I'm ashamed to say I did not come by this nugget honestly, rather by filthy beggary and google and so forth. i still cherish many of your words, you dumb faggot TE. Not kidding -- *Seven Pillars* is one of the good books.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I woke up this morning
    With an attitude
    Looked at the headlines
    Put me in a real bad mood
    Sitting here remember
    Tryin' to stay sane
    Between the end of the summer
    And the comin' of the blessed rains
    And I feel dirty
    All the way down
    I feel dirty, baby
    Like this dirty town
    I gave you everything
    On a silver tray
    Could have been a fool forever
    But I'm not made that way...."

Don Henley, "You Don't Know Me At All"

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Thus the tyrants at the center of Welles's films are usually more fascinating and sympathetic than the naïve, commonplace figures around them; this in spite of the fact that Welles puts many of his own political sentiments into the mouths of starry-eyed idealists like Jed Leland, Michael O'Hara, and Mike Vargas. Actually, the demonic, obsessive drives of the tyrant begin to take on a sort of moral purity, as if egomania and self-delusion were partly a reaction against a sickness in the society at large."
    --James Naremore, *The Magic World of Orson Welles*

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Our Government springs from and was made for the people — not the people for the Government. To them it owes allegiance; from them it must derive its courage, strength, and wisdom. But while the Government is thus bound to defer to the people, from whom it derives its existence, it should, from the very consideration of its origin, be strong in its power of resistance to the establishment of inequalities. Monopolies, perpetuities, and class legislation are contrary to the genius of free government, and ought not to be allowed. Here there is no room for favored classes or monopolies; the principle of our Government is that of equal laws and freedom of industry. Wherever monopoly attains a foothold, it is sure to be a source of danger, discord, and trouble. We shall but fulfill our duties as legislators by according 'equal and exact justice to all men,' special privileges to none." - Andrew Johnson, 1865

Registered
    Jul 2013

"What is this madness called revenge? Though our psychotherapeutic culture portrays vengeance as a disease and forgiveness as the cure, the drive for revenge has a thoroughly intelligible function: deterrence. As Daly and Wilson explain, "Effective deterrence is a matter of convincing our rivals that any attempt to advance their interests at our expense will lead to such severe penalties that the competitive gambit will end up a net loss which should never have been undertaken." The necessity of vengeful punishment as a deterrent is not a just-so story but has been demonstrated repeatedly in mathematical and computer models of the evolution of cooperation. --Steven Pinker, *The Better Angels of Our Nature*, Ch. 8

Registered
    Sep 2009

"A Samarian woman
    Came running to the city
    To talk about the man she saw
    She took her pitcher
    And went to the well
    Water she intended to draw
    The stranger she met there
    She didn't know where he came from
    But when he told her
    Every sinful thing she had done
    The man at the well
    Blessed my soul and went on...."

"Strange Man" by Dorothy Love Coates

Registered
    Jul 2013

"When you get an exasperating letter what happens? If you are young you answer it promptly, instantly and mail the thing you have written. At forty what do you do? By that time you have found out that a letter written in a passion is a mistake in ninety-nine cases out of a hundred; that it usually wrongs two persons, and always wrongs one yourself. You have grown weary of wronging yourself and repenting; so you manacle, you fetter, you log-chain the frantic impulse to write a pulverizing answer. You will wait a day or die. But in the mean time what do you do? Why, if it is about dinner-time, you sit at table in a deep abstraction all through the meal; you try to throw it off and help do the talking; you get a start three or four times, but conversation dies on your lips every time."
    --Mark Twain, notebooks ca. 1886 or so.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Her friends asked her
    'Do you know that man?'
    She said 'No, I never saw him before.'
    They asked her 'Did you get his name?'
    She said 'He didn't tell me and I don't know
    But when he spoke, my soul caught on fire
    And I'll remember this day 'til the day that I die
    He stopped by,
    Blessed my soul and went on....'"

Registered
    Jul 2013

"[T]aboo words activate primitive parts of the brain and just understanding them at a cognitive level keeps that emotional reaction in check and keeps us from accessing it too much, but it doesn’t keep us from having the emotional response. Only obscenity has the ability to engage that subtle strong emotion."

-- Steven Pinker

Registered
    Sep 2009

"The stranger was next seen in a city, oh yes he was,
    Standing off an angry mob
    Defending a women who'd been caught
    In the very act of adultery
    For pity and mercy she sought
    He said, 'Ye here without sin, cast the first stone'
    When he raised her from the ground
    All her accusers were gone
    He gave her a smile, waved farewell and was gone...."

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Your daily life is a stream of little-noticed miracles made possible in part by reinforcement learning. You get up, get dressed, eat breakfast, and drive to work, all the while thinking about something else. Below the surface, reinforcement learning continually orchestrates and fine-tunes this prodigious symphony of motion. Snippets of reinforcement learning, also known as habits, make up most of what you do. You feel hungry, walk to the fridge, and grab a snack. As Charles Duhigg shows in The Power of Habit, understanding and controlling this cycle of cue, routine, and reward is key to success, not just for individuals but for businesses and even whole societies."

--Pedro Domingos, *The Master Algorithm. How the Quest for the Ultimate Learning Machine will Remake our World*

Registered
    Sep 2009

"The crowd asked her
    'Do you know the man?'
    She said 'No, I never saw him before'
    They asked her 'Did you get his name?'
    She said, 'He didn't tell me and I don't know
    But when he touched me I felt the power from his arms
    And I don't plan again to do no wrong
    He stopped by, saved my life and was gone....'"

Registered
    Jul 2013

"A person who persists in believing what is not true or disbelieving what is true can waste a lifetime of effort on something that is without hope of success."
    --E. Jayne

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I met that same man
    I met that same man
    When I turned away from fear
    He opened up his arms and he took me in
    I felt that same power, Lord, Lord
    My soul caught on fire
    I'm just glad he stopped by in Alabama
    Oh, the Lord stopped by, one Tuesday evening
    I'm glad he stopped by
    Blessed my soul, and was gone."

Registered
    Jul 2013

"These girls say,"Well, I should be able to get drunk at a fraternity party and go upstairs to a guy's room without anything happening." And I say, "Oh, really? And when you drive your car to New York City, do you leave your keys on the hood?" My point is that if your car is stolen after you do something like that, yes, the police should pursue the thief and he should be punished. But at the same time, the police and I have the right to say to you, "You stupid idiot, what the hell were you thinking?""
    --Camille Paglia

Registered
    Sep 2009

I happen to agree with that sentiment, un-P.C. as I know it is.

"Ay, tear her tattered ensign down!
    Long has it waved on high,
    And many an eye has danced to see
    That banner in the sky;
    Beneath it rung the battle shout,
    And burst the cannon’s roar;—
    The meteor of the ocean air
    Shall sweep the clouds no more!...."

"Old Ironsides" by Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr. (1830)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Whist has long been noted for its influence upon what is termed calculating power; and men of the highest order of intellect have been known to take an apparently unaccountable delight in it, while eschewing chess as frivolous. Beyond doubt there is nothing of a similar nature so greatly tasking the faculty of analysis."
    --EA Poe, "Murders/Rue Morgue"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Her deck, once red with heroes’ blood
    Where knelt the vanquished foe,
    When winds were hurrying o’er the flood
    And waves were white below,
    No more shall feel the victor’s tread,
    Or know the conquered knee;—
    The harpies of the shore shall pluck
    The eagle of the sea!...."

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Lynch understands the nuanced shadings of those who express themselves with malevolent behavior, just as he allows his upholders of righteousness to manifest a full human complexity."
    --Greg Olson *David Lynch: Beautiful Dark"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"O, better that her shattered hulk
    Should sink beneath the wave;
    Her thunders shook the mighty deep,
    And there should be her grave;
    Nail to the mast her holy flag,
    Set every thread-bare sail,
    And give her to the god of storms,—
    The lightning and the gale!"

Registered
    Jul 2013

"As a draughtsman, a Roman Catholic, a gourmand, and a punctilious man of habit, Hitchcock was a ritual formalist who explored psychology not by encouraging his actors to implode in emotional free fall but by containing them within social convention, defined by his strict pictorial frame."

--Camille Paglia, *The Birds*

Registered
    Sep 2009

"How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise" - Sophocles, Oedipus The King, quoted in Angel Heart (1987)

Registered
    Jul 2013

Interesting -- I don't remember that from the movie, but sounds like a Louis Cypher "words to peel eggs by."

The search for knowledge is a lust of the eyes. --Augustine

ETA that wasn't quite the right quote: here's what Augustine actually said, in translation (book 10 of the Confessions)
    "Forseeing belongs properly to the eyes; yet we apply this word to the other senses also, when we exercise them in the search after knowledge. For we do not say, Listen how it glows, smell how it glistens, taste how it shines, or feel how it flashes, since all these are said to be seen. And yet we say not only, See how it shines, which the eyes alone can perceive; but also, See how it sounds, see how it smells, see how it tastes, see how hard it is. And thus the general experience of the senses, as was said before, is termed "the lust of the eyes," because the function of seeing, wherein the eyes hold the pre-eminence, the other senses by way of similitude take possession of, whensoever they seek out any knowledge."

I suppose it's worth the longer citation -- kind of a neat little passage, IMHO.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 17 Sep 2016 at 01:09 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    Interesting -- I don't remember that from the movie, but sounds like a Louis Cypher "words to peel eggs by."....
    Almost. Cyphre says it to Harry at the very end, after Harry finds the dogtags and has his awful realization.

"Sometimes a man'll tell his bartender things he'll never tell his doctor." - Dr. Philip Boyce, "The Cage," Star Trek: The Original Series

Registered
    Jul 2013

Wait, there was a twist ending to *Angel Heart*? Dude, spoiler alerts!

"The civilized man -- the ideal civilized man -- is simply one who never sacrifices the common security to his private passions. He reaches perfection when he even ceases to love passionately; when he reduces the most profound of all his instinctive experiences from the level of an ecstasy to the level of a mere device for replenishing the armies and workshops of the world, keeping clothes in repair, reducing the infant deathrate, providing enough tenants for every landlord, and making it possible for the Polizei to
    know where every citizen is at any hour of the day or night."

--HL Mecken, *In Defense of Women*

Registered
    Sep 2009

I said nothing about a twist ending.

"Laws are to govern all alike — those opposed as well as those who favor them. I know no method to secure the repeal of bad or obnoxious laws so effective as their stringent execution." - Ulysses S. Grant, First Inaugural Address, 1869

Registered
    Jul 2013

"The crucial question is whether a man escapes from the life of his time into a realm of abstraction -- it is then that angst is engendered in human consciousness -- or confronts modern life determined to fight its evils and support what is good in it. The first decision leads then to another: is man the helpless victim of transcendental and inexplicable forces, or is he a member of a human community in which he can play a part, however small, toward its modification or reform?"
    --Lukacs, *Realism in our Time*

Registered
    Sep 2009

"We all agree that neither the Government nor political parties ought to interfere with religious sects. It is equally true that religious sects ought not to interfere with the Government or with political parties. We believe that the cause of good government and the cause of religion both suffer by all such interference." - Rutherford B. Hayes, 1875

Registered
    Jul 2013

"The worst days of darkness through which I have ever passed have been greatly alleviated by throwing myself with all my energy into some work relating to others." -- Garfield, attrib. 1895

ad supr. obviously I meant a "twist beginning." A subtle distinction, but I admit it was unfair to confuse the two equally worthy modes of misdirection.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Civil War was "a virtuous tragedy that freed four million Americans and reunited a nation." - National Park Service marker, Wilderness battlefield (2016)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Muskie also fell victim to what turned out to be a 'dirty trick' on the part of Richard M. Nixon's campaign [....namely,] a letter planted...claiming that Muskie had referred sneeringly to French Canadians as 'Canucks' during a visit to Florida."
    --LA Times Apr 29, 1980 "Carter Picks Muskie to Be Secretary of State" front page reprint in *Hitchcock (Revised Edition)*, Fr. TRUFFAUT

Registered
    Sep 2009

"We are sometimes asked in the name of patriotism to forget the merits of this fearful struggle, and to remember with equal admiration those who struck at the nation's life, and those who strove to save it - those who fought for slavery and those who fought for liberty and justice." - Frederick Douglass

Registered
    Jul 2013

"If men could learn from history, what lessons it might teach us! But passion and party blind our eyes, and the light which experience gives is a lantern on the stem, which shines only on the waves behind us!"
    --fr. Coleridge, "Recollections"

Registered
    Sep 2009

God of our fathers, known of old,
    Lord of our far-flung battle-line,
    Beneath whose awful Hand we hold
    Dominion over palm and pine—
    Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet,
    Lest we forget—lest we forget!

- "Recessional" by Rudyard Kipling, pt. 1

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Those who do not know how to say or have a distaste for saying vague things [où répugnent à dire des choses vagues] are often mute and always unhappy." --Valéry, *Instants*

Registered
    Sep 2009

The tumult and the shouting dies;
    The Captains and the Kings depart:
    Still stands Thine ancient sacrifice,
    An humble and a contrite heart.
    Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet,

Pt. 2

Registered
    Jul 2013

"In the era of mass immigration, anti-Catholicism often found expression around the issue of education. Rightly fearing that native Protestants wished to inject public schools with an evangelical and sectarian spirit, Catholics created a sweeping, parallel system."
    --Josh Zeitz, "When America Hated Catholics" Sept 23, 2015, Politico Magazine

Registered
    Sep 2009

Far-called, our navies melt away;
    On dune and headland sinks the fire:
    Lo, all our pomp of yesterday
    Is one with Nineveh and Tyre!
    Judge of the Nations, spare us yet,

Pt. 3

Registered
    Jul 2013

"He who sups with the devil must have a long spoon."