+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Post brief quotes from fiction/narrative/whatever

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Ever unstable are the hearts of the young, but whatever an old man takes part in, he looks both before and after, so that the issue may be far the best for either side. --Iliad 3. 108vv, Wyatt translator

Semper autem iuniorum uirorum mentes sunt leues:
    quibus autem senex aderit simulante et post
    videbit, ut cito optime cum utriq; fiat
    --Divus translation.

All young men’s hearts are still unstaid; but in those well-weigh’d deeds
    An old man will consent to pass things past, and what succeeds
    He looks into, that he may know, how best to make his way
    --Chapman translation

it is very difficult to find text in old things and scroll through scans of them line by line! stop making me look at Divus for help! I'm not a fucking scholar you jackasses, just a man who likes seeing stuff. Obviously no translator. ETA I'd like to emend my statement: in this case, Divus is perfectly "on-point," as other men say in business.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 14 May 2016 at 12:56 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"...My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
    To children ardent for some desperate glory,
    The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
    Pro patria mori."

"Dulce et Decorum est," Wilfred Owen, 1918

Registered
    Jul 2013

Wait, I have one for this............<insert ellipses..........><insert mad grunting..............><

OK fine, i'll do it square from Wyatt's Loeb version
    "For my mother the goddess silver-footed Thetis tells me that twofold fates are bearing me toward the doom of death [?!]: if I remain and fight...fuck it I'm doing my own the Trojans then I won't be back. But I'll be incorruptible in my 'fame" <thanks Divus sed gloria incorrupta est>"

Eh, i'm bored.

How about:

"for hateful in my eyes as the gates of Hades is the man who hides one thing in his mind and says another. So I will speak to me what seems to me best."

Iliad IX.Achilleus's big speech

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hank Scorpio: Oh, hi, Homer. What can I do for you?
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.
    Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks! Homer, there's four places. There's the Hammock Hut, that's on Third.
    Homer: Uh-huh.
    Hank Scorpio: There's Hammocks-R-Us, that's on Third too. You got Put-Your-Butt-There.
    Homer: Mm-mmm.
    Hank Scorpio: That's on Third. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot... Matter of fact, they're all in the same complex; it's the hammock complex on Third.
    Homer: Oh, the Hammock District!
    Hank Scorpio: That's right.

"You Only Move Twice," The Simpsons (1996)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Death comes to the idle man just as to whom works much."

IX.320

Registered
    Sep 2009

"...I believe in an America that is officially neither Catholic, Protestant nor Jewish--where no public official either requests or accepts instructions on public policy from the Pope, the National Council of Churches or any other ecclesiastical source--where no religious body seeks to impose its will directly or indirectly upon the general populace or the public acts of its officials--and where religious liberty is so indivisible that an act against one church is treated as an act against all.

For while this year it may be a Catholic against whom the finger of suspicion is pointed, in other years it has been, and may someday be again, a Jew--or a Quaker--or a Unitarian--or a Baptist. It was Virginia's harassment of Baptist preachers, for example, that helped lead to Jefferson's statute of religious freedom. Today I may be the victim- -but tomorrow it may be you--until the whole fabric of our harmonious society is ripped at a time of great national peril.

Finally, I believe in an America where religious intolerance will someday end--where all men and all churches are treated as equal--where every man has the same right to attend or not attend the church of his choice--where there is no Catholic vote, no anti-Catholic vote, no bloc voting of any kind--and where Catholics, Protestants and Jews, at both the lay and pastoral level, will refrain from those attitudes of disdain and division which have so often marred their works in the past, and promote instead the American ideal of brotherhood...."

Sen. John F. Kennedy, Address to the Greater Houston Ministerial Association, September 12, 1960

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Once a thorough understanding of the the domain has been established.., step 5 is the task of iterative encoding of the ontology through logical formalization." -- Smith, Arp, Spear, *Building Ontologies with Basic Formal Ontology*

Registered
    Sep 2009

"A worried man with a worried mind
    No one in front of me and nothing behind
    There's a woman on my lap and she's drinking champagne
    Got white skin, got assassin's eyes
    I'm looking up into the sapphire-tinted skies
    I'm well-dressed, waiting on the last train.

Standing on the gallows with my head in a noose
    Any minute now I'm expecting all hell to break loose
    People are crazy and times are strange
    I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
    I used to care, but things have changed...."

Bob Dylan, "Things Have Changed"

Registered
    Jul 2013

"What are you going to name it?
    --What?
    The new star, what are you going to name it?
    --Who cares? Don't bother me.
    Commander Powell would have named it."
    --Commander Powell is dead.
    --*Dark Star*, John Carpenter movie.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Though plans may often go wrong, let 'em hear your voice
    You'll find that rhythm and song make the world rejoice
    Make life go with a swing, laugh at trouble and sing
    Tra-la-la-la, la-la, la-la, count your blessings and smile

While you're playing your part, keep a song in your heart
    Tra-la-la-la, la-la, la-la, count your blessings and smile
    Sing low, sing high, isn't it grand, beating the band
    Who wants to die, oh what a happy land, hi!
    Show them what you can do, make a hullabaloo
    Tra-la-la-la, la-la, la-la, count your blessings and smile...."

George Formby et al., "Count Your Blessings and Smile" (1940)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"He's out there operating without any decent restraint, totally beyond the pale of any acceptable human conduct. And he is still in the field commanding troops."
    --*Apocalypse Now*

Registered
    Sep 2009

"With the coming of the Second World War, many eyes in imprisoned Europe turned hopefully, or desperately, toward the freedom of the Americas. Lisbon became the great embarkation point. But not everybody could get to Lisbon directly, and so a tortuous, roundabout refugee trail sprang up - Paris to Marseilles... across the Mediterranean to Oran... then by train, or auto, or foot across the rim of Africa, to Casablanca in French Morocco. Here, the fortunate ones, through money, or influence, or luck, might obtain exit visas and scurry to Lisbon; and from Lisbon, to the New World. But the others wait in Casablanca... and wait... and wait... and wait."

Opening lines, Casablanca (1942)

Registered
    Jul 2013

šJohnny got drunk on a gallon of gin and Jimmy did not drink tea and George replied with a right to the chin
    For the army is just a pink tea
    Let’s all go barmy, live off the Army
    See the world we never saw
    If we get feeling down we wander into town
    And if the population should greet us with indignation
    We chop' em to bits because we like our hamburgers rawš
    --Kurt Weill, *Three-Penny Opera*

Registered
    Jul 2013

যৌথতার মৌতাত ছেড়ে কটু ও কষায় প্রিয় একক প্রকোষ্ঠে ফিরে যাই---
    মনে হয় : কুকি ও কফির মতো দু'হাতে জীবন নিয়ে খেলে যাচ্ছি আমি বেশ ভালোই মাদারি, ভল্লুকও কখনও কখনও...

Anyonymous

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    যৌথতার মৌতাত ছেড়ে কটু ও কষায় প্রিয় একক প্রকোষ্ঠে ফিরে যাই---
    মনে হয় : কুকি ও কফির মতো দু'হাতে জীবন নিয়ে খেলে যাচ্ছি আমি বেশ ভালোই মাদারি, ভল্লুকও কখনও কখনও...

Anyonymous
    Translation, please?

Registered
    Jul 2013

According to some translation tool: "Kasaya favorite single cells from intoxication collective bitterness and go back --
    Think : I 'm going to play with cookies and coffee as well Madari life in his hands , sometimes the bear ..."

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Why, the whole bloody place is the most unspeakable matriarchy in the whole history of civilization! Look at yourself, and the way your wife and her strumpet of a mother push you through the hoop! As far as I can see, American men have been totally emasculated. They're like slaves! They die like flies from coronary thrombosis, while their women sit under hairdryers, eating chocolates and arranging for every second Tuesday to be some sort of Mother's Day! And this positively infantile preoccupation with bosoms."
    --from *It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World*, the English bloke's rant about the USA

Registered
    Sep 2009

(I loved that rant. My other favorite part of that movie: an enraged Jonathan Winters leveling a gas station.)

King George VI: [Sees Logue is sitting on the coronation throne] What are you doing? Get up! You can't sit there! GET UP!
    Lionel Logue: Why not? It's a chair.
    King George VI: No, it... That is not a chair. That is... that is St. Edward's chair.
    Lionel Logue: People have carved their names on it.
    King George VI: [simultaneously] That... chair... is the seat on which every king and queen...
    Lionel Logue: [simultaneously] It's held in place by a large rock.
    King George VI: That is the Stone of Scone. You ah-are trivializing everything. You trivialize...
    Lionel Logue: I don't care about how many royal arseholes...
    King George VI: Listen to me.
    Lionel Logue: ...have sat in this chair.
    King George VI: Listen to me. Listen to me!
    Lionel Logue: Listen to you? By what right?
    King George VI: By divine right, if you must. I am your king.
    Lionel Logue: No, you're not. You told me so yourself. You said you didn't want it. Why should I waste my time listening...?
    King George VI: Because I have a right to be heard! I have a voice!
    Lionel Logue: [pauses] Yes, you do.
    [Longer pause]
    Lionel Logue: You have such perseverance, Bertie. You're the bravest man I know. You'll make a bloody good king.

The King's Speech
    (2010)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Certainly, without some idea of the danger, I wouldn't have gone in; I expected to see three notorious bitches. They were petite [menues], three little girls with beautiful chestnut hair, a little shy, very eager, really pale.

The furniture was ridiculously tiny. Barot [Stendhal's friend] was big and tall, I was big, we couldn't figure out how to sit down, strictly speaking, the furniture seemed to have been made for dolls. We were afraid of crushing the furniture. Our little girls saw our troubles; it was becoming a growing problem. We could only say that much absolutely. Happily Barot had the idea of bringing up the garden.

«Oh, we have a garden, they said without any pride, but finally a little joy at having some luxury item to show off.» We went down to the garden with some candles to take a look. Twenty-five feet long and ten wide. Barot and I broke out in a laugh. There was all the tools of the home economics of these poor girls: a little chest to do laundry, their little keg with an elliptical thing on it so they could brew beer."

--Stendhal, *Memoirs of Egotism*

ETA there's a helpful little note by the editor about the beer thing: something about it's probably a machine which when it's turned goes around in an elliptical pattern and brews beer. Actually, not that helpful. But, whatever, Stendhal was, if anything, a pretty terse, war-like writer on a mission, so it's probably lost to the scholars.

EETA here's the passage from the text: I think I did a fine job, though. Close enough. "Certainement, sans l'idée du danger, je ne serais pas entré; je m'attendais à voir trois infâmes salopes. Elles étaient menues, trois petites filles avec de beaux cheveux châtains, un peu timides, très empressées, fort pâles.¶Les meubles étaient de la petitesse la plus ridicule. Barot est gros et grand, moi gros, nous ne trouvions pas à nous asseoir, exactement parlant, les meubles avaient l'air faits pour des poupées. Nous avions peur de les écraser. Nos petites filles virent notre embarras; le leur s'accrut. Nous ne savions que dire absolument. Heureusement Barot eut l'idée de parler du jardin.¶«Oh! nous avons un jardin, dirent-elles, avec non pas de l'orgeuil, mais enfin un peu de joie d'avoir quelque objet de luxe à montrer.» Nous descendîmes au jardin avec des chandelles pour le voir; il avait vint-cinq pieds de long et dix de large. Barot et moi partîmes d'un éclat de rire. Là étaient tous les instruments d'économie domestique de ces pauvres filles : leur petit cuvier pour faire la lessive, leur petite cuve avec un appareil elliptique pour brasser elles-mêmes leur bière."
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 21 May 2016 at 06:48 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally." - Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    Jul 2013

"One can't understand everything at once, we can't begin with perfection all at once! In order to reach perfection one must begin by being ignorant of a great deal. And if we understand things too quickly, perhaps we shan't understand them thoroughly.” -- FDos, *The idiot*

Registered
    Sep 2009

George is at Newman's apartment, and knocks.

Newman: Hello. What's this?
    George: Well, I was dropping off the calzone money for the week... Um. Shouldn't you be at work by now?
    Newman: Work? It's raining.
    George: So....
    Newman: I called in sick. I don't work in the rain.
    George: You don't work in the rain? You're a mailman. "Neither rain nor sleet nor snow...." It's the first one!
    Newman: I was never that big on creeds.

Seinfeld, "The Calzone"

Registered
    Jul 2013

"You'll be able to spit nails, kid. Like the guy says, you're gonna eat lightning and you're gonna crap thunder."
    --Mickey in *Rocky*

Registered
    Sep 2009

“The essential and defining characteristic of childhood is not the effortless merging of dream and reality, but only alienation. There are no words for childhood's dark turns and exhalations. A wise child recognizes it and submits to the necessary consequences. A child who counts the cost is a child no longer.” - Stephen King, 'Salem's Lot

Registered
    Jul 2013

"[A] voluminous taboo lexicon may better be considered an indicator of healthy verbal abilities rather than a cover for their deficiencies...Speakers who use taboo words understand their general expressive content as well as nuanced distinctions that must be drawn to use slurs appropriately. The ability to make nuanced distinctions indicates the presence of more rather than less linguistic knowledge, as implied by the POV [Poverty of Vocabulary] view." Jay and Jay, "Taboo word fluency and knowledge of slurs and general pejoratives," in *Language Sciences,* Nov. 2015, Special Issue, "Slurs" http://www.sciencedirect.com/…/artic...8800011400151X

Sperm dumpster trash eat a pound of shit you cocksucking limey. Yet again, both my practice and thinking are vindicated as correct. Make you eat the scum out of a rubber.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 23 May 2016 at 10:14 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"To sail on a dream on a crystal-clear ocean,
    To ride on the crest of a wild-raging storm
    To work in the service of life and living,
    In search of the answers of questions unknown
    To be part of the movement and part of the growing,
    Part of beginning to understand,

Aye, Calypso, the places you've been to,
    The things that you've shown us,
    The stories you tell
    Aye, Calypso, I sing to your spirit,
    The men who have served you so long and so well...."

Calypso, John Denver

Registered
    Jul 2013

"For example, common slurs that have been used to target Italian Americans include (a) dago, (b) eyetie, (c) greaser or greaseball, (d) guido, (e) guinea, ginnie, or ghinney, (f) hunkie or hunky, and (g) wop or whap....The perceived offensiveness of the slur guinea is demonstrated, for instance, by the fact that Italian Americans have campaigned to have it removed from place-names in New York since as late as the 1960s (Roediger, 2005, p. 40) and the fact that Alfred Catalanotto, an Italian American owner of the Central Market Grill and the Central Market Chill in New York City, was targeted with the slur ‘‘guinea bastard’’ and further discriminated against by being unfairly denied a renewal lease for his restaurants by MTA executive Nancy Marshall (Cohen, 2009)."

--Croom's analysis in "Slurs and stereotypes for Italian Americans: A context-sensitive account of derogation and appropriation," Journal of Pragmatics 81 (2015) p. 38.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"...Sit down, sit down
    as we relive our lives in what we tell you

Images of sorrow, pictures of delight
    things that go to make up a life
    endless days of summer longer nights of gloom
    waiting for the morning light
    scenes of unimportance, photos in a frame
    things that go to make up a life

Help us someone, let us out of here
    'cos living here so long undisturbed
    dreaming of the time we were free
    so many years ago
    before the time when we first heard
    'Welcome to the Home by the Sea'...."

"Home by the Sea," Genesis, Genesis (1983)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"You are smeared of his sin. You reek of evil. You have made a covenant with the Devil. You've bewitched thy brother." --Katherine, in *The Witch*

Registered
    Sep 2009

The land was ours before we were the land’s.
    She was our land more than a hundred years
    Before we were her people. She was ours
    In Massachusetts, in Virginia,
    But we were England’s, still colonials,
    Possessing what we still were unpossessed by,
    Possessed by what we now no more possessed.
    Something we were withholding made us weak
    Until we found out that it was ourselves
    We were withholding from our land of living,
    And forthwith found salvation in surrender.
    Such as we were we gave ourselves outright
    (The deed of gift was many deeds of war)
    To the land vaguely realizing westward,
    But still unstoried, artless, unenhanced,
    Such as she was, such as she would become.

"The Gift Outright," Robert Frost

Registered
    Jul 2013

“For while the particular four-letter word being litigated here is perhaps more distasteful than most others of its genre, it is nevertheless often true that one man’s vulgarity is another’s lyric.”

--John Harlan, opinion of the Court in Cohen v California, 1971

Registered
    Sep 2009

"The Constitution is either a superior paramount law, unchangeable by ordinary means, or it is on a level with ordinary legislative acts, alterable when the legislature shall please to alter it. It is emphatically the province and duty of the judicial department to say what the law is. This is the very essence of judicial duty."

Chief Justice John Marshall, Opinion of the Court, Marbury v. Madison (1803)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"So, just as in physiology man hardly knows anything except by way of comparative anatomy, so it goes with passions, vanity, and lots of other causes of illusion which make it that we can't be enlightened about what happens in us but by the weaknesses that we have observed in others. If by chance this effort has a useful effect, it's that of leading the mind to make use of these sorts of reconciliations."
    --Stendhal, *On Love*, Ch. XL

Registered
    Sep 2009

"History recalls how great the fall can be
    While everybody's sleeping, the boats put out to sea
    Borne on the wings of time
    It seemed the answers were so easy to find
    'Too late,' the prophets cry,
    'The island's sinking, let's take to the sky!'

Called the man a fool, stripped him of his pride
    Everyone was laughing up until the day he died
    And though the wound went deep
    Still he's calling us out of our sleep
    My friends, we're not alone
    He waits in silence to lead us all home...."

"Fool's Overture," Supertramp

Registered
    Jul 2013

The world is full of fools, and who would not see it
    Should stay by himself, and break his mirror.
    --old proverb, unknown origin

Le monde est plein de fous, et qui n’en veut pas voir
    Doit se tenir tout seul, et casser son miroir.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you; you're locked up in here with me." - Rorschach, Watchmen (1986)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"No one guarded the apple-tree,
    And now, awakened beauty
    Prowls the garden
    In a leopard print dress."
    --Amit Majmudar

Registered
    Sep 2009

"...Fellow-citizens, we cannot escape history. We of this Congress and this administration will be remembered in spite of ourselves. No personal significance, or insignificance, can spare one or another of us. The fiery trial through which we pass will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the latest generation. We say we are for the Union. The world will not forget that we say this. We know how to save the Union. The world knows we do know how to save it. We -- even we here -- hold the power, and bear the responsibility. In giving freedom to the slave, we assure freedom to the free -- honorable alike in what we give, and what we preserve. We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth. Other means may succeed; this could not fail. The way is plain, peaceful, generous, just -- a way which, if followed, the world will forever applaud, and God must forever bless." - Abraham Lincoln, Annual Message to Congress (December 1, 1862)

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh God said to Abraham, “Kill me a son”
    Abe says, “Man, you must be puttin’ me on”
    God say, “No.” Abe say, “What?”
    God say, “You can do what you want Abe, but
    The next time you see me comin’ you better run”
    Well Abe says, “Where do you want this killin’ done?”
    God says, “Out on Highway 61”

--Bob Dylan, man.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Somebody asked me today, 'Phil, if you could be anywhere in the world, where would you like to be?' And I said to him, 'Prob'ly right here - Elko, Nevada, our nation's high at 79 today.' Out in California, they're gonna have some warm weather tomorrow, gang wars, and some very overpriced real estate. Up in the Pacific Northwest, as you can see, they're gonna have some very, very tall trees." - Phil Connors, Groundhog Day (1993)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"For under the chaos of appearances, among durations and localities, dans l'illusoire des choses qui s'engendrent et qui s'enfantent, et en la source éternelle des causes, un avec les autres, un comme avec les autres, distinct des autres, semblable aux autres, apparaissant un le même et un de plus, un de tous donc surgissant, et entrant à ce qui est, et de l'infini des possibles existences, je surgis"

--Dujardin's meteoreological novel *Les lauriers sont coupés* No I shall not translate it -- I'm sure somebody else did, and I'm a very poor translator.

Registered
    Sep 2009

“She was widely read enough to appreciate my literary wit but not so widely read that she knew my sources. I like that in a woman.” - David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Title VII of the Civil Rights Act lets companies discriminate on the basis of "religion, sex, or national origin in those instances where religion, sex, or national origin is a bona fide occupational qualification reasonably necessary to the normal operation of the particular business or enterprise."

Hooters is what has been called a "breastaurant," a dining establishment that often features scantily clad women to cater to a male clientele. As such, the "Hooters Girl," the company argues, is an essential part of its business."

--Jacob Shamsian, "The strange loophole that lets Hooters hire only female servers," *Business Insider*, 13-sept-2015, retrieved 03-mai-2016.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 03 Jun 2016 at 09:39 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"...I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance. The poet's, the writer's, duty is to write about these things. It is his privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart, by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past. The poet's voice need not merely be the record of man, it can be one of the props, the pillars to help him endure and prevail." - William Faulkner, Nobel Prize banquet speech, 1950

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Human experts often solve difficult problems quickly and effortlessly by categorizing complex situations as special cases of familiar paradigms and applying solution strategies that are known to be effective for these paradigms....Problem solving in this context involves partitioning a complex task into two components that can be solved independently and executed in a serial fashion. The first component consists primarily of categorization. Humans acquire this ability after many years of observing a wide-range [sic] of related examples. The experts skill seems to be based primarily on memory for past experiences rather than on logical deduction or symbolic reasoning."
    --Frey and Slate, "Letter Recognitin Using Holland-Style Adaptive Classifiers," *Machine Learning*, 6, 1991, p. 161

Registered
    Sep 2009

"God of the prophets, bless the prophets' heirs!
    Elijah's mantle o'er Elisha cast:
    each age for thine own solemn task prepares,
    make each one stronger, nobler than the last.

Anoint them prophets! Teach them thine intent:
    to human need their quickened hearts awake;
    fill them with power, their lips make eloquent
    for righteousness that shall all evil break...."

Hymn 359, The Episcopal Church's Hymnal 1982

Registered
    Jul 2013

O rus, quando ego te adspiciam....
    --Horace, one of his Satires. I edited to avoid doing the whole thing, because then you'd be (a) having me translate (b) I'd have to look it up (c) it goes on for quite a few more lines.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 08 Jun 2016 at 09:35 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Mønti Pythøn ik den Hølie Gräilen Røtern nik Akten Di Wik Alsø wik Alsø alsø wik. Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yër? See the løveli lakes. The wøndërful telephøne system. And mäni interesting furry animals. The characters and incidents portrayed and the names used are fictitious and any similarity to the names, characters, or history of any person is entirely accidental and unintentional. Signed RICHARD M. NIXON." - Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975), opening credits

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Don't you people have homes?"
    --Judge Smails, in *Caddyshack*

Registered
    Jul 2013

Supposedly some guy named Frank Dunne (Fáilte) about his rules of game:

"1) Never touch a piece until you have made up your mind to move it.
    (2) Never move a piece without a motive.
    (3) Accustom yourself to play slowly.
    (4) Adhere strictly to the laws of the game.
    (5) Compel your opponent to adhere to the laws.
    (6) Play with better players in preference to those you can defeat.
    (7) Take every opportunity to look on when good players are engaged.
    (8) Never touch the squares with your finger when calculating.
    (9) Eschew the habit of incessantly talking during a game.
    (10) Show no impatience with your opponent who may be slow.
    (11) Avoid boasting and talking about your skill.
    (12) Lose with good temper and win with silence and modesty."

I'm kind of half-proud there's are the rules I try to live by. I'm also pleased to say that I've learned from this thread that Abe was as skilled an orator as I've never appreciated. Yeah size=0 and all that.

+ Reply to thread