+ Reply to thread
Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Post brief quotes from fiction/narrative/whatever

Registered
    Sep 2009

"We know that self-government is difficult. We know that no people needs such high traits of character as that people which seeks to govern its affairs aright through the freely expressed will of the freemen who compose it. But we have faith that we shall not prove false to the memories of the men of the mighty past. They did their work, they left us the splendid heritage we now enjoy. We in our turn have an assured confidence that we shall be able to leave this heritage unwasted and enlarged to our children and our children's children. To do so we must show, not merely in great crises, but in the everyday affairs of life, the qualities of practical intelligence, of courage, of hardihood, and endurance, and above all the power of devotion to a lofty ideal, which made great the men who founded this Republic in the days of Washington, which made great the men who preserved this Republic in the days of Abraham Lincoln." - Theodore Roosevelt, Inaugural Address, 1905

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Difficult to believe that I had ever been that little shit. That voice! Jesus! And those aspirations! (Brief laughter in which Krapp joins in) And these resolutions! Drink less, notably. (Brief laugh of Krapp alone). Statistics. Seventeen hundred hours out of the eight-thousand and some volatie precedents only debits of drinks. More than 20%, let's say 40% of one's adult life. (Pause). Plans for a sexual life less... (he hesitates...absorbing."
    --Beckett, *Krapp's Last Tape* (unfortunately I only have his own translation into French as «La dernière bande», which I was forced to retranslate into English, and I'm not as good a Francophile as Beckett, probably, so you'll take it and you'll like it).

Registered
    Sep 2009

Washington’s Monument, February 1885

by Walt Whitman

Ah, not this marble, dead and cold:
    Far from its base and shaft expanding—the round zones circling,
    comprehending,
    Thou, Washington, art all the world’s, the continents’ entire—
    not yours alone, America,
    Europe’s as well, in every part, castle of lord or laborer’s cot,
    Or frozen North, or sultry South—the African’s—the Arab’s in
    his tent,
    Old Asia’s there with venerable smile, seated amid her ruins;
    ( Greets the antique the hero new? ‘tis but the same—the heir
    legitimate, continued ever,
    The indomitable heart and arm—proofs of the never-broken line,
    Courage, alertness, patience, faith, the same—e’en in defeat
    defeated not, the same: )

Wherever sails a ship, or house is built on land, or day or night,
    Through teeming cities’ streets, indoors or out, factories or farms,
    Now, or to come, or past—where patriot wills existed or exist,
    Wherever Freedom, pois’d by Toleration, sway’d by Law,
    Stands or is rising thy true monument.

Registered
    Jul 2013

"However for we should draw from those things which are composite our knowledge of simple things, and arrive on the basis of what is posterior to that which is anterior, in the fashion that in beginning by the easiest study be made easier, one must thus go from from the meaning of the "being" to to meaning of "essence."
    --Aquinas, De ente et essentia.

I'll give you one guess who translated it. Translation is fucking hard and I suck at it. I want to make women do it, so I don't have to.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"She's just sixteen years old
    Leave her alone, they say
    Separated by fools
    Who don't know what love is yet

But I want you to know
    If I could fly
    I'd pick you up
    I'd take you into the night
    And show you a love
    Like you've never seen - ever seen

It's like having a dream
    Where nobody has a heart
    It's like having it all
    And watching it fall apart
    And I would wait 'til the end of time for you
    And do it again, it's true...."

"Into the Night," Benny Mardones

Registered
    Jul 2013

"But if I am to be REALLY redeemed,– I need certainty–not wisdom, dreams, speculation–and this certainty is faith. And faith is faith in what my heart, my soul, needs, not my speculative intellect. For my soul, with its passions, as it were with its flesh and blood, must be redeemed, not my abstract mind. Perhaps one may say: Only love can believe the Resurrection. Or: it is love that believes the Resurrection"
    --Wittgenstein, *Culture and Value*

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    "You and that big nose of your starting to get on my nerves. Snorting around the place like a goddamned anteater. I've about had it with you: give me that drink." -- John Waters, *Polyester*

Registered
    Sep 2009

"So, so you think you can tell
    Heaven from hell
    Blue skies from pain
    Can you tell a green field
    From a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?

Did they get you to trade
    Your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    And did you exchange
    A walk-on part in the war
    For a lead role in a cage?...."

Pink Floyd, "Wish You Were Here"

Registered
    Jul 2013

"It was the tendency of Symbolism -- that second swing of the pendulum away from a mechanistic view of nature and from a social conception of man -- to make poetry even more a matter of the sensations and emotions of the individual than had been the case wih Romanticism: Symbolism, indeed, sometimes had the result of making poetry so much a private concern of the poet's that it turned to to be incommunicable to the reader."
    --Edmund Wilson, *Axel's Castle*

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Well, I love her
    But I love to fish
    I spend all day out on this lake
    And hell is all I catch
    Today she met me at the door
    Said I would have to choose
    If I hit that fishin' hole today
    She'd be packin' all her things
    And she'd be gone by noon

Well, I'm gonna miss her
    When I get home
    But right now I'm on this lakeshore
    And I'm sittin' in the sun
    I'm sure it'll hit me
    When I walk through that door tonight
    Yeah, I'm gonna miss her
    Oh, lookie there, I've got a bite...."

Brad Paisley, "I'm Gonna Miss Her"

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Ya want a guy that comes to play. This guy [Jackie Robinson] didn't just come to play. He come to beat ya. He come to stuff the goddamn bat right up your ass."
    --Leo Durocher

Registered
    Sep 2009

"The intoxication of power rapidly sobers off in the knowledge of its restrictions and under the prompt reminder of an ever-present and not always considerate press, as well as the kindly suggestions that not infrequently come from Congress." - William Howard Taft, 1912

Registered
    Jul 2013

"One dark young beauty I recall particularly, all white and starch, incomparable bosom, with a big black hooded perambulator, most funereal thing. Whenever I looked in her direction she had her eyes on me. And yet when I was bold enough to speak to her--not having been introduced--she threatened to call a policeman. As if I had designs on her virtue!" -- Beckett, *Krapp's Last Tape*

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future." - Sonmi-451, Cloud Atlas

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Therefore, since the world has still
    Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure
    Luck’s a chance, but trouble’s sure,
    I’d face it as a wise man would,
    And train for ill and not for good."
    --AE Houseman, "Terence, this is stupid stuff"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I yield to no one precedence in love for the South. But because I love the South, I rejoice in the failure of the Confederacy." - Woodrow Wilson (1880)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"The overall content of the speeches suggested a fundamental difference between the German nationalism of the 1830s and the French nationalism of the July Revolution: the focus of German nationalism lay in the education of the people; once the populace was educated as to what was needed, they would accomplish it. The Hambach rhetoric emphasized the overall peaceable nature of German nationalism: the point was not to build barricades, a very "French" form of nationalism, but to build emotional bridges between groups."
    --Wikipedia, "Unification of Germany"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"A republic worth living in is worth fighting for, and sacrificing for, and dying for." - Warren G. Harding (1917)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Nothing will better make us realize how nearly true this is than an hour spent in the treasury. How incredibly much we understand if only we can mobilize our understanding." --IA Richards, Introduction to Pocket Books edition of Roget's Pocket Thesaurus

Registered
    Sep 2009

"You lose." - attributed to Calvin Coolidge, when seated next to a woman at a dinner party who playfully said she'd made a bet that she could get him to say more than two words that night

Registered
    Jul 2013

"'That is an uncommon advantage, and uncommon I hope it will continue, for it would be a great loss to *me* to have many such acquaintances. I dearly love a laugh." --spoken by Elizabeth in *Pride and Prejudice*

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Ours is a practical people, to whom ideals furnish the theory of political action, upon which they want not only firm assurance, but also effective practice. They want programs, but they want action to flow from them. They want constructive common sense. They want the development of the common will, not the views of a single individual. They are beginning to realize that words without action are the assassins of idealism. On the other side, they are equally disgusted with seeking for power by destructive criticism, demagoguery, specious promises and sham." - Herbert Hoover, 1920

Registered
    Jul 2013

"In the interval [between the reign of terror and the ... I think he returned to France under the Directory or the Consulate period...sometime in there] Chateaubriand's youthful mind had been contaminated by the anti-Christian spirit then pervading France, by the reading of dangerous books, especially those of J.-J. Rousseau, and by his association with the infidel literary men of Paris between 1787 and 1791. When, at the age of twenty-one, he sailed for America, his faith was but a flickering flame likely to be extinguished at any moment. Finally, the miserable life that he was afterwards obliged to lead in London so harassed his soul as to turn him against everything, both institutions and men."
    --*The Catholic Encyclopedia*, entry on Chateaubriand.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"We have undertaken a new order of things; yet we progress to it under the framework and in the spirit and intent of the American Constitution. We have proceeded throughout the nation a measurable distance on the road toward this new order... Throughout the world, change is the order of the day. In every nation economic problems, long in the making, have brought crises of many kinds for which the masters of old practice and theory were unprepared. In most nations social justice, no longer a distant ideal, has become a definite goal, and ancient governments are beginning to heed the call. Thus, the American people do not stand alone in the world in their desire for change. We seek it through tested liberal traditions, through processes which retain all of the deep essentials of that republican form of representative government first given to a troubled world by the United States." - Franklin D. Roosevelt, 1935

Registered
    Jul 2013

“Nature is filled with words of love, but how can we listen to them amid constant noise, interminable and nerve-wracking distractions, or the cult of appearances?”--Francis, "Laudato Si"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Of course, there are dangers in religious freedom and freedom of opinion. But to deny these rights is worse than dangerous, it is absolutely fatal to liberty. The external threat to liberty should not drive us into suppressing liberty at home. Those who want the Government to regulate matters of the mind and spirit are like men who are so afraid of being murdered that they commit suicide to avoid assassination." - Harry Truman, 1952

Registered
    Jul 2013

"If they [Christian reformers] condemned celibacy in the priests, and opened the gates of the convents, it was only to turn all society into a convent." --Voltaire

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Don't think sorry's easily said
    Don't try turning tables instead
    You've taken lots of chances before
    But I ain't gonna give any more
    Don't ask me
    That's how it goes
    'cause part of me knows what you're thinking

Don't say words you're gonna regret
    Don't let the fire rush to your head
    I've heard the accusation before
    And I ain't gonna take any more
    Believe me
    The sun in your eyes
    Made some of the lies worth believing

I am the eye in the sky
    Looking at you
    I can read your mind
    I am the maker of rules
    Dealing with fools
    I can cheat you blind
    And I don't need to see any more
    To know that I can read your mind...."

"Eye in the Sky," The Alan Parsons Project

Registered
    Jul 2013

"There is no society. A man does not count for filling and occupying his life on the happiness he pulls, each day, from two hours of conversation and vanity-games in such a house. The word causerie does not exist in Italian. One speaks when one has something to say to serve some passion, but rarely does one speak to speak well and on all the subjects that come up [pour bien parler et sur tous les sujets venus]."
    --Stendhal, *De l'amour*, Chapt. XLIX "One Day in Florence"
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 27 Mar 2017 at 07:26 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

And I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year:
    “Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.”
    And he replied:
    “Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the Hand of God.
    That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way.”
    So I went forth, and finding the Hand of God,
    trod gladly into the night. And He led me towards the hills
    and the breaking of day in the lone East....

"God Knows" by Minnie Louise Haskins

Registered
    Jul 2013

"'However, I shall very quickly test the matter when I am once upon the spot, and until then I cannot really see how we can get much further than our present position.'"
    --Holmes speaking in Doyle, "Silver Blaze"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"When I was a small boy in Kansas, a friend of mine and I went fishing and as we sat there in the warmth of the summer afternoon on a river bank, we talked about what we wanted to do when we grew up. I told him that I wanted to be a real Major League baseball player, a genuine professional like Honus Wagner. My friend said that he'd like to be President of the United States. Neither of us got our wish." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Registered
    Jul 2013

“I would not insult a female dog by calling you the son of such an animal. your conduct was beneath the social standing of and would be unbecoming and below the moral perception of a bastard son of a motherless whore. . . . you, if you were not a carbuncle on the rump of degenerate theatrical performers, would, as an effort toward making partial amends for your consummate act of asininity, never again appear on the stage or before the radio, except for the purpose of announcing your withdrawal.” November 1, 1938, Probate Judge A.G. Kennedy of Union, SC on Orson Welles's *War of the Worlds* broadcast (welles mss., correspondence, lilly library).

Registered
    Sep 2009

"We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained, and new rights to be won, and they must be won and used for the progress of all people. For space science, like nuclear science and all technology, has no conscience of its own. Whether it will become a force for good or ill depends on man, and only if the United States occupies a position of pre-eminence can we help decide whether this new ocean will be a sea of peace or a new terrifying theater of war. I do not say that we should or will go unprotected against the hostile misuse of space any more than we go unprotected against the hostile use of land or sea, but I do say that space can be explored and mastered without feeding the fires of war, without repeating the mistakes that man has made in extending his writ around this globe of ours... We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too." - John F. Kennedy, 1962

Registered
    Jul 2013

“The soul of man is a dark vast forest, with wild life in it. Think of Benjamin fencing it off! He made himself a list of virtues, which he trotted inside like a grey nag in a paddock.”--DH Lawrence on Benjamin Franklin

Registered
    Sep 2009

"We know that most people's intentions are good. We don't question their motives; we've never said they're unpatriotic, although they say some pretty ugly things about us. And we believe very strongly on preserving the right to differ in this country, and the right to dissent; and if I have done a good job of anything since I've been President, it's to ensure that there are plenty of dissenters." - Lyndon B. Johnson, 1967

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Oh, the knower of men! He places himself as a child among children,
    but the tree and the the child search for what is above them."
    --Hölderlin, "Falsche Popularität"

"Have you Reason and Heart? Then, show us one or the other;
    One should condemn them both, if you were to show them together."

--Hölderlin, "Guter Rat [i.e., "Good Advice," or whatever]"

Two little epigrams, I guess you'd call them that just happened to be on the same page of the Hölderlin book I have on me and opened at random. I find it irritating to type the umlaut using compose-key + " + vowel, so I will be substituting as per my usual the "oe" for all "ö" in any future reason I should have to type in German here. Pain in my fucking ass, is what it is. Happy Easter, celebrants.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 16 Apr 2017 at 05:06 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Wherever beauty called me into lonely places,
    Where dark Remembrance haunts me with eternal smart,
    Remembrance, the unmerciful, the well of love,
    Recalling the far dances, the far-distant faces,
    Whispering me ‘What does this—and this—remind you of?’
    How can I cease from knocking or forget to watch—’"

C.S. Lewis, "Launcelot"

Registered
    Jul 2013

"In religion things should be such, that each level of religiosity should have a corresponding form of expression, which would have no meaning to a lower level....For example, the pauline doctrine of predestination is for me -- at my own level -- pure and simple irreligiosity, a contemptible nonsense. It is thus not for me, since I could only make an incorrect use of the image which is given to me by it." -- Wittgenstein, notebook entry from 1937

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Many Jews [were] in the Communist conspiracy. Chambers and Hiss were the only non-Jews. Many thought that Hiss was. He could have been a half. Every other one was a Jew - and it raised hell for us. But in this case, I hope to God he's not a Jew." - Richard M. Nixon, Oval Office conversation (June 17, 1971)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Wittgenstein was baptized as an infant by a Catholic priest and received formal instruction in Catholic doctrine as a child. In an interview, his sister Gretl Stonborough-Wittgenstein says that their grandfather's "strong, severe, partly ascetic Christianity" was a strong influence on all the Wittgenstein children. It was while he was at the Realschule that he decided he had lost his faith in God. He nevertheless believed in the importance of the idea of confession."

--anonymous, Wikipedia, "Ludwig Wittgenstein," retrieved now

Registered
    Jul 2013

"good Republican cloth coat hammer hammer yar yar Checkers"
    --Dick Nixon

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I'm meetin' my buddies out on the lake
    We're headed out to a special place (we love!)
    That just a few folks know
    There's no signin' up, no monthly dues
    Take your Johnson, your Mercury or your Evinrude and fire it up
    Meet us out at Party Cove
    Come on in, the waters fine

Just idle on over, and toss us a line
    Basstrackers, Bayliners and a party barge,
    Strung together like a floatin' trailer park
    Anchored out and gettin' loud all summer long
    Side by side there's five houseboat front porches
    Astroturf, lawn chairs and tiki torches
    Regular joes, rockin' the boat, that's us...."

"Redneck Yacht Club," Craig Morgan

Registered
    Jul 2013

Q: "We've had more beefing from the French than from the Germans . We are always quarreling with them . They criticize everything . They have to put their two cents in . But the Germans - they just do what you tell them to . They're co-operative, the French aren't ."
    A: "There is a saying that in France everything is permitted that is not strictly forbidden - but in Germany everything is verboten. that is not strictly permitted, We are in the French, not the German tradition."
    --*112 Gripes About the French*, a pamphlet published and distributed to US GIs stationed in France after the liberation of WWII, in question and answer format.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"An impeachable offense is whatever a majority of the House of Representatives considers it to be at a given moment in history; conviction results from whatever offense or offenses two-thirds of the other body considers to be sufficiently serious to require removal of the accused from office." - Gerald R. Ford (1970)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"But if [Debussy] welcomed diversions from the difficulties of composition, it was not from his musical colleagues, for he always preferred discussing the other arts. He could be charming (especially when cultivating wealthy potential patrons), but in the main he was shy and reclusive, not a fluent conversationalist, and often appeared grumpy and opinionated."
    --*Cambridge Companion to Debussy* essay #1

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Here we are
    In a room full of strangers
    Standing in the dark
    Where your eyes couldn't see me
    Well, I had to follow you
    Though you did not want me to
    But that won't stop my lovin' you
    I can't stay away

Blamin' it all on the nights on Broadway
    Singin' them love songs
    Singin' them straight to the heart songs
    Blamin' it all on the nights on Broadway
    Singin' them sweet sounds
    To that crazy, crazy town...."

"Nights on Broadway," Bee Gees

Registered
    Jul 2013

"dicimus enim quod affirmatio est opposita negationi, et quod caecitas est in oculo."
    --Aquinas, D.Ente&Essent.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Translations of non-English phrases are always appreciated, Jizz.

"Hello world
    Hope you're listening
    Forgive me if I'm young
    For speaking out of turn
    There's someone I've been missing
    I think that they could be
    The better half of me
    They're in the in the wrong place trying to make it right
    But I'm tired of justifying
    So I say to you

Come home
    Come home
    'Cause I've been waiting for you
    For so long
    For so long
    And right now there's a war between the vanities
    But all I see is you and me
    The fight for you is all I've ever known
    So come home...

I get lost in the beauty
    Of everything I see
    The world ain't as half as bad
    As they paint it to be
    If all the sons
    If all the daughters
    Stopped to take it in
    Well hopefully the hate subsides and the love can begin
    It might start now yeah
    Well maybe I'm just dreaming out loud
    Until then
    Come home...."

"Come Home," OneRepublic

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quid me interrogas de hoc? Non audeo pandere secreta nostra.
    --Aelfric, abbot of Eynsham, 1005

"what are you talking about? one doesn't share one's secrets."

cited in Keith Sidwell, *Reading Medieval Latin*

Google is actually a pretty good tool for translating different languages, as well as for finding out about all kinds of secret topics.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I ran the Aquinas bit through Google and only got cites to it - no actual translation.

"Let us learn together and laugh together and work together and pray together, confident that in the end we will triumph together in the right. The American dream endures. We must once again have full faith in our country - and in one another. I believe America can be better. We can be even stronger than before. Let our recent mistakes bring a resurgent commitment to the basic principles of our Nation, for we know that if we despise our own government, we have no future. We recall in special times when we have stood briefly, but magnificently, united. In those times no prize was beyond our grasp. But we cannot dwell upon remembered glory. We cannot afford to drift. We reject the prospect of failure or mediocrity or an inferior quality of life for any person. Our Government must at the same time be both competent and compassionate." - Jimmy Carter, Inaugural Address (1977)

+ Reply to thread