+ Reply to thread
Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,250 of 2388

Thread: Post brief quotes from fiction/narrative/whatever

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ugarte: "Well, Rick, after tonight, I'll be through with the whole business and I am leaving finally this Casablanca."
    Rick: "Who did you bribe for your visa? Renault or yourself?"
    Ugarte: "Myself. I found myself much more reasonable."

Casablanca

Registered
    Jul 2013

"I only mention that because sometimes there's a man. I won't say a 'hero,' because what's a 'hero'? But sometimes there's man,and I'm talking about 'The Dude," here. Sometimes there's a man. Well, he's the man for his time and place: he fits right in there. And that's 'The Dude,' in Los Angeles."

TBL

Registered
    Sep 2009

Victor Laszlo: "You ran guns to Ethiopia. You fought against the fascists in Spain."
    Rick: "What of it?"
    Laszlo: "Isn't it strange that you always happen to be fighting on the side of the underdog?"
    Rick: "Yes. I found that a very expensive hobby, too. But then I never was much of a businessman."

Casablanca

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Don't smoke right after you drink it! No smoking! No smoking while you're drinking!" — "Virgil" in The Great Escape

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ilsa: "I can't fight it anymore. I ran away from you once. I can't do it again. Oh, I don't know what's right any longer. You have to think for both of us. For all of us."
    Rick: "All right, I will. Here's looking at you, kid."
    Ilsa: [smiles] "I wish I didn't love you so much."

Casablanca

Registered
    Jul 2013

"I believe in America: America has made my fortune, and I raised my daughter in the American fashion. I gave her freedom, but I taught her not to dishonor her family."

The Godfather

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ugarte: "Rick, think of all the poor devils who can't meet Renault's price. I get it for them for half. Is that so... parasitic?"
    Rick: "I don't mind a parasite. I object to a cut-rate one."

Casablanca

Registered
    Jul 2013

"If this [Warren Harding's management of a small-town newspaper called the Marion Star] (or naming his [sc. W.H.'s] dong Jerry and talking at length about Jerry in letters to his mistress) intrigues you, the book “Dead Last: The Public Memory Of Warren G. Harding’s Scandalous Legacy” might be up your alley. " —Natalie Dee, Garbage Brain University blog and podcast, Apr. 29 2019

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rick: "I'm sorry for asking. I forgot we said 'no questions.'"
    Ilsa: "Well, only one answer can take care of all our questions." [she kisses him]

Casablanca

Registered
    Jul 2013

"static void setup_connection(struct scanner_connection *conn)
    {
    struct sockaddr_in addr = {0};

if (conn->fd != -1)
    close(conn->fd);
    if ((conn->fd = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0)) == -1)
    {
    #ifdef DEBUG
    printf("[scanner] Failed to call socket()\n");
    #endif
    return;
    }

conn->rdbuf_pos = 0;
    util_zero(conn->rdbuf, sizeof(conn->rdbuf));

fcntl(conn->fd, F_SETFL, O_NONBLOCK | fcntl(conn->fd, F_GETFL, 0));

addr.sin_family = AF_INET;
    addr.sin_addr.s_addr = conn->dst_addr;
    addr.sin_port = conn->dst_port;

conn->last_recv = fake_time;
    conn->state = SC_CONNECTING;
    connect(conn->fd, (struct sockaddr *)&addr, sizeof (struct sockaddr_in));
    }"

— a bit of an important worm called Mirai. Written in C, and I think it's cute the authors included the IF(N)DEF DEBUG things.

Horrific consequences, and it's not over yet: bad actors, and bad IT policies worldwide.

NB: This is not any secret code. It's just published information, and the quote is nothing more than some pedestrian utlility fragment to verify something called a socket is open. Well, it manipulates certain values, according to the internal scheme of the whole program, but this snippet is just some boilerplate,standard code.

ETA OK, fine. So a "socket" is just an abstraction that designates a layer 4 protocol of TCP/UDP, plus a port number and a layer 3 IP address.

Pedants may argue, but that's what it is.

EETA And, yes, if you see it in code headers, #INCLUDE socket*.h is C code.

Yes, I am a Cisco Certified Network Associate, and, no, I'm not good at explaining things, but I'm good at doing stupid stuff like making your Cisco router work and making sure you didn't do stupid shit like leaving a default password exposed, or neglecting to update to a newer firmware security patch for your ice maker.

My little girl, the ice machine.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 09 Jul 2019 at 07:11 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Speed's expensive. How fast do you you want to go?"

DMCL

Registered
    Sep 2009

Renault: "Ricky, I'm going to miss you. Apparently you're the only one in Casablanca with less scruples than I."

Casablanca

Registered
    Jul 2013

"The point of the story isn't the little girl, the point of the story is that they robbed a bank with a fucking telephone!"

Pulp Fiction

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Puhleeze. Whoever survives the culling will have plenty of food. <The WHAT?> Uh, the culling? You know, where people suffocate in their sleep with gross sweaty socks stuffed in their mouths and then get [source audio unclear] accidentally stabbed in their mouths while they pee or whatever?" — "Carol" in Archer S10E06

Registered
    Sep 2009

Major Strasser: "We have a complete dossier on you: Richard Blaine, American, age 37. Cannot return to his country. The reason is a little vague. We also know what you did in Paris, Mr. Blaine, and also we know why you left Paris. [hands the dossier to Rick] Don't worry, we are not going to broadcast it."
    Rick: [reading] "Are my eyes really brown?"

Casablanca

Registered
    Jul 2013

"t's not necessary to lay a foul tongue on me my friend. I could get upset. Things could get out of hand. Then in self defense, I could do something to you that you would not like, right here." — Cape Fear (both the original and the remake).

As an aside, something about both those movies makes me not want to side with humanity: I'm not sure I want to be in a world with people like Max Cady running around, but I suppose we're all stuck with it. Doesn't mean I have to be happy about it, though. Oh well. Maybe movies are sort of a year-round Halloween: a loop running ever-forward of sheer terror.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Was that cannon fire, or is it my heart pounding?"

Casablanca

Registered
    Jul 2013

"It is impossible to program a machine without such gaps, in the same way that it is impossible (and in any case not desirable) to write a novel without them. The designer of a “learning machine” would need to find a way to make it respond to challenges pertaining to such loci by allowing it to fill in gaps when challenged."

— Landgrebe, Smith, "There is no general AI: Why Turing machines cannot pass the Turing test," in Synthese, 9-june-2019
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 22 Jul 2019 at 10:44 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rick: "What makes you think I'd stick my neck out for Laszlo?"
    Capt. Renault: "Because, one, you bet 10,000 francs he'd escape. Two, you've got the letters of transit. Don't bother to deny it. And you might want to do it simply because you don't like Strasser's looks. As a matter of fact, I don't like them either."
    Rick: [chuckles] "They're all excellent reasons."

Casablanca

Registered
    Jul 2013

"[W]e draw attention to what we take to be serious problems underlying current views of artificial intelligence encouraged by these successes [of machine learning, generally], especially in the domain of language processing.

[...]

[W]e believe that one place where we can look for a role for philosophy in the future will lie in the way it can be used to strengthen and enable applied sciences in the digital era – for example, in the creation of useful and realistic artificial intelligence applications involving automatic translation of natural language texts into computer-processable logical formulae."

— Landgrebe, Smith, "Making AI Meaningful Again," in Synthese, 23-Mar-2019

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Since a Turing machine cannot master human dialogue behaviour, we conclude that a Turing machine also cannot possess what is called 'general' Artificial Intelligence. We do, however, acknowledge the potential of Turing machines to master dialogue behaviour in highly restricted contexts, where what is called 'narrow' AI can still be of considerable utility."

— Landgrebe, Smith, "There is no general AI: Why Turing machines cannot pass the Turing test," in Synthese 9-June-2019.

The claims are demonstrated, in detail, with detailed post mortems of both the failures and successes of limited AI, and convincing conclusions arrived at about the limitations of a formal language. The lemma on which these claims are made is that natural language and formal language only intersect when it's possible to restrict the domain of inputs and outputs for a given system. A corollary is that these restricted efforts are desirable, and can be not only used to great advantage, but that they can be improved by refining and narrowing the scope and capabilities of such algorithms.

Well, that's just my synopsis of both papers cited above.

On the one hand, the applied-scientific critique is very much a propos, as has been demonstrated by the successes and failures the authors note in the papers above. On the other hand, the deductive, grid-oriented ontology of "temporal logics," among other variants of multimodal logic, is famously not very apt to being "translated" willy-nilly into natural language: IOW, the semantics get quickly out of hand. Well, so does FOPL, but modal logic is especially bad. Almost unthinkably bad.

The solution, ISTM, that at least one of the authors agrees with, is that technology/engineering should work more closely with the theoretical arms of ontology and automata theory, as it's called.

At least that's my take on it, and I only just saw these papers just now.

Registered
    Jul 2013

"I ain't signing shit for that space faggot Bezos."

— private correspondance

Registered
    Sep 2009

Captain Renault: "Rick, there are many exit visas sold in this café, but we know that you've never sold one. That is the reason we permit you to remain open."
    Rick: "Oh? I thought it was because I let you win at roulette."
    Renault: "That is another reason."

Casablanca

Registered
    Jul 2013

"47 EL3RST Level 3 reset"

— the errno page for errno code 47.

My new game is, every time I have to sign in by hand, I assign under "explanation": "errno=47." Well, that was today's, but there's quite a few error codes to throw (it's under errno.h and stuff, I have no idea how many other languages use these, but, pretty entertaining). What makes it entertaining is that L2 and L3 designate, yeah, here it's about network layers, but some companies call classes of employees L1, L2, and so forth.

Oh, here's a good post, somewhere in there, about the errno codes.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I'm the only 'cause' I'm interested in."

Casablanca

Registered
    Jul 2013

"With substantial experience of non‐anglophone cultures, I’m probably able to refer to more non‐anglophone music than many other native speakers of my mother tongue."

— Philip "Mr. Wonderful" Tagg, Everyday Tonality II: Towards a Tonal Theory of what Most People Hear (New York & Huddersfield: The Mass Media Music Scholars’ Press, 2014)

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you, it's poor salesmanship."

Casablanca

Registered
    Jul 2013

"I'm Virgil and I'm guidin' you through the gates of Hell. We are now in the Ninth Circle, the Circle of Traitors. Traitors to country! Traitors to fellow man! Traitors to GOD! You, sir, are charged with betrayin' the principles of all three."

Cape Fear (remake)

Registered
    Sep 2009

Captain Renault: "My dear Ricky, you overestimate the influence of the Gestapo. I don't interfere with them and they don't interfere with me. In Casablanca I am master of my fate! I am...."
    Police Officer: "Major Strasser is here, sir!"
    Rick: "You were saying?"
    Captain Renault: "Excuse me."

Casablanca

Registered
    Jul 2013

"The marriage condition is also sufficient for the existence of a [system of distinct representatives]." — Balakrishnan, Schaum's Outline of Theory and Problems of Combinatorics

Registered
    Sep 2009

Captain Renault: "Well, Rick is the kind of man that... well, if I were a woman, and I were not around, I should be in love with Rick. But what a fool I am, talking to a beautiful woman about another man."

Casablanca

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Did you get me my Cheez Whiz, boy?"

The Blues Brothers

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rick: "I don't like disturbances in my place. Either lay off politics, or get out."

Casablanca

Registered
    Jul 2013

"You just tell us where they are, and there'll be no trouble."

The Blues Brothers

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yvonne: [drunk] "Give me another."
    Rick: "Sascha, she's had enough."
    Yvonne: "Don't listen to him, Sascha. Fill it up!"
    Sascha: "Yvonne, I love you, but he pays me."

Casablanca

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Mishkin: Look, you are his agent, isn't that the idea?
    Agent: Sixteen years, Mr. Mishkin.
    Mishkin: Then book him in the Air Force Museum. This guy doesn't tell jokes, he goes on bombing missions."

The Night Gallery, episode 104, "Make Me Laugh" segment

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rick: "Why did you come back? To tell me why you ran out on me at the railway station?"
    Ilsa: "...Yes."
    Rick: "Well, you can tell me now. I'm reasonably sober."

Casablanca

Registered
    Jul 2013

"When playing, even the simplest of finger exercises, the full attention must be fixed on the finger-work, each note must be played consciously. [sic]"

—Dohnányi, Essential Finger Exercises, Preface, Engl. transl. N. Drewett.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"And what if you track down these men and kill them, what if you killed all of us? From every corner of Europe, hundreds, thousands would rise up to take our places. Even Nazis can't kill that fast."

Casablanca

Registered
    Jul 2013

"When asked he will say: well he's a physicist or something. He may not think that this picks out anyone uniquely. I still think he uses the name 'Feynman' as a name for Feynman."

— Kripke, Naming and Necessity, lecture 2. Down to brass tacks.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Victor Laszlo: "Are you enough of a businessman to appreciate an offer of 100,000 francs?"
    Rick: "I appreciate it, but I don't accept it."

Casablanca

Registered
    Jul 2013

'I don't want to go into detail on the concept of metal — as I said, I don't know enough about it. Gold apparently has the atomic number 79."

— Kripke, Naming and Necessity, Lecture III (1970-Jan-29).

Registered
    Sep 2009

Captain Renault: "Realizing the importance of the case, my men are rounding up twice the usual number of suspects."

Casablanca

Registered
    Jul 2013

"I...could no longer write, as I once did, that '[Sherlock] Holmes does not exist, but in other states of affairs he would have existed.'"

— Kripke, Naming and Necessity, "Addenda" added to the 1970 lectures in the 1972 published version.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Captain Renault: "In 1935, you ran guns to Ethiopia. In 1936, you fought in Spain, on the Loyalist side."
    Rick: "I got well paid for it on both occasions."
    Renault: "The winning side would have paid you much better."

Casablanca

Registered
    Jul 2013

"No sugar? Damn. Y'all ain't never got two things that match. Either y'all got Kool-aid, no sugar. Peanut butter, no jelly. Ham, no burger. Daaamn."

Friday (motion picture, 1995)

Registered
    Sep 2009

Captain Renault: "We are very honored tonight, Rick. Major Strasser is one of the reasons the Third Reich enjoys the reputation it has today."
    Major Strasser: "You repeat 'Third Reich' as though you expected there to be others!"
    Renault: "Well, personally, Major, I will take what comes."

Casablanca

Registered
    Jul 2013

"I'm using two fingers. The gentleman's limit."

— Drew Toothpaste and Nataliedee, podcast, "How We Got A Ghost On The Podcast," uncertain recorded time.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Customer: "Are you sure this place is honest?"
    Carl: "Honest? As honest as the day is long!"

Casablanca

Registered
    Jul 2013

"You haven't done anything horrible, but waking up to a bunch of texts after you had already apologized for doing it once and I told you I was in a week long training was a big "NO" for me. Again it's not like you egregiously harmed me- I just have limited energy for people-ing and i basically just hermit, work, and dance. I don't want to discourage you from people-ing, but you and i won't be socializing. I'm sorry. "

— some random like crazy person.

Dude, seriously, just put it in one sentence or even one word. Like queen drama.

My response? "That's cool and the gang. There's no problems."

That's about the level of engagement one should have in text.

Not this fucking morose, weepy "exploring my feelings" shit.

+ Reply to thread