+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Post brief quotes from fiction/narrative/whatever

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, much as I admire Washington, Lincoln was a better wordsmith. Jefferson and JFK were no slouches, either.

"I have never wished anyone dead, but I have read some obituaries with a great deal of satisfaction." - Clarence Darrow (attrib.)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"As your desk, Sosibianus, is full of elaborate compositions, why do you publish nothing? "My heirs," you say, "will publish my verses," When? It is already, Sosibianus, time that you should be read." --Martial, Epigram IV.33, translation Bohn, revised at here by some guy who thought Martial's obscenity-riddled, abuse-laden epigrams belonged in his fairly vast collection of texts from the Church Fathers. Neat site, anyway.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 10 Jun 2016 at 08:05 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

“The press is a gang of cruel faggots. Journalism is not a profession or a trade. It is a cheap catch-all for fuckoffs and misfits -- a false doorway to the backside of life, a filthy piss-ridden little hole nailed off by the building inspector, but just deep enough for a wino to curl up from the sidewalk and masturbate like a chimp in a zoo-cage." --Hunter Thompson, *Fear and Loathing*

Registered
    Sep 2009

" All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never underestimate your opponent. Expect the unexpected. Two, take it outside. Never start anything inside the bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice." - Dalton, Road House (1989)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"If, on the contrary [one] happened to be a man of calm and dispassionate feelings, he would indulge a sigh for the frailty of human nature, and would lament that in a matter so interesting to the happiness of millions the true merits of the question should be perplexed and obscured by expedients so unfriendly to an impartial and right determination." --*Federalist* 29 (Hamilton)

Registered
    Sep 2009

“When our days become dreary with low-hovering clouds of despair, and when our nights become darker than a thousand midnights, let us remember that there is a creative force in this universe, working to pull down the gigantic mountains of evil, a power that is able to make a way out of no way, and transform dark yesterdays into bright tomorrows. Let us realize that the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice.” - Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Enough now the father has sent upon the Earth, and having thrown his [thunderbolts] with his red right hand against the sacred towers, he has terrorized the town." --Horace, Ode I.2

Registered
    Sep 2009

"The Constitution is the guide which I never will abandon." - George Washington

Registered
    Jul 2013

"It is evident that no other form [than strictly republican] would be reconcilable with the genius of the people of America; with the fundamental principles of the Revolution; or with that honorable determination which animates every votary of freedom to rest all our political experiments on the capacity of mankind for self-government." --*Federalist* 39 (Madison)

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I see the lonely road that leads so far away
    I see the distant lights that left behind the day
    But what I see is so much more than I can say
    And I see you in midnight blue

I see you cryin' now, you've found a lot of pain
    And what you're searchin' for can never be the same
    But what's the difference 'cos they say what's in a name
    And I see you in midnight blue

I will love you tonight
    And I will stay by your side
    Lovin' you, I'm feelin' midnight blue...."

"Midnight Blue," Discovery, Electric Light Orchestra

Registered
    Jul 2013

"and as for Hamilton
    we may take it (my authority, ego scriptor cantilenae)
    that he was the Prime snot in ALL American history."

--Pound, *Cantos* 62

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Well, it’s a sad business. And he’s a poet. I never, I never questioned that. We’ve been friends all the way along, but I didn’t like what he did in wartime. I only heard it secondhand, so I didn’t judge it too closely. But it sounded pretty bad. He was very foolish in what he bet on and whenever anybody really loses that way, I don’t want to rub it into him." - Robert Frost on Ezra Pound, 1960

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezra_P...C_World_War_II

Registered
    Jul 2013

"The collected part of the semen, raised and inflamed became a Lust converted to choler turned head upon the spinal duct, and ascended to the brain.... What a pity it is that our Congress had not known this discovery, and that Alexander Hamilton’s projects of raising an army of fifty thousand Men, ten thousand of them to be Cavalry and his projects of sedition Laws and Alien Laws and of new taxes to support his army, all arose from a superabundance of secretions which he could not find whores enough to draw off! and that the same vapours produced his Lyes and Slanders by which he totally destroyed his party forever and finally lost his Life in the field of Honor. But to return from this digression." --Adams to BRush 11-nov-1806

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I congratulate you, my dear friend, on the law of your state [South Carolina] for suspending the importation of slaves, and for the glory you have justly acquired by endeavoring to prevent it forever. This abomination must have an end, and there is a superior bench reserved in heaven for those who hasten it." - Thomas Jefferson to Edward Rutledge, 1787

Registered
    Jul 2013

"He [Adams] is vain, irritable and a bad calculator of the force and probable effect of the motives which govern men. This is all the ill which can possibly be said of him. He is as disinterested as the being which made him: he is profound in his views: and accurate in his judgment except where knowledge of the world is necessary to form a judgment."
    -- Jefferson to Madison, 30-jan-1787

ETA it just struck me how similar Adams and Jefferson were in style. Of course, any student of the most basic history understand these facts, but the stylistic parallels are remarkable. Yeah, I am also guilty of having been impressed at a young age by Pound, so I will never have anything good to say about Hamilton, even as I've been reading in the papers. God dammit, they made a fucking musical about that cocksucker? I'm fine with doing a miniseries -- Pig Vomit did JA, I guess, fine, whatever, but giving that cocksucker banking sack of shit a musical. Fucking assholes.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 29 Jun 2016 at 09:33 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

(Sounds like I'm a lot bigger admirer of Hamilton than you. Check out Ron Chernow's excellent biography, which inspired the musical; you may come away with a higher opinion of him).

"...At midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
    Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do
    Then they bring them to the factory where the heart-attack machine
    Is strapped across their shoulders and then the kerosene
    Is brought down from the castles by insurance men who go
    Check to see that nobody is escaping to Desolation Row...."

"Desolation Row," Bob Dylan

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Buffalo hunting? 'I've gone buffalo huntin''? What the fuck does that mean? Buffalo huntin?"

--*Wild at Heart*, movie.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"The Constitution requires an adoption in toto, and for ever. It has been so adopted by the other States. An adoption for a limited time would be as defective as an adoption of some of the articles only. In short any condition whatever must viciate the ratification. What the New Congress by virtue of the power to admit new States, may be able & disposed to do in such case, I do not enquire as I suppose that is not the material point at present. I have not a moment to add more than my fervent wishes for your success & happiness." - James Madison, letter to Alexander Hamilton, 1788

Registered
    Jul 2013

"The liberty of the individual is not a benefit of culture. It was greatest before any culture, though indeed it had little value at that time, because the individual was hardly in a position to defend it. Liberty has undergone restrictions through the evolution of civilization, and justice demands that these restrictions shall apply to all." --Freud, *Civilization and its Discontents*

Registered
    Sep 2009

"In the wars of the European powers in matters relating to themselves we have never taken any part, nor does it comport with our policy so to do... We owe it, therefore, to candor and to the amicable relations existing between the United States and those powers to declare that we should consider any attempt on their part to extend their system to any portion of this hemisphere as dangerous to our peace and safety. With the existing colonies or dependencies of any European power we have not interfered and shall not interfere. But with the Governments who have declared their independence and maintain it, and whose independence we have, on great consideration and on just principles, acknowledged, we could not view any interposition for the purpose of oppressing them, or controlling in any other manner their destiny, by any European power in any other light than as the manifestation of an unfriendly disposition toward the United States." - President James Monroe, the Monroe Doctrine, 1823

Registered
    Jul 2013

"an odd genius...a great sloven, wretchedly profane, and a great admirer of dogs, one of them a native of Pomerania, which I should have taken for a bear had I seen him in the woods." --Maj. Gen. Chas. Lee, as observed by Jeremy Belknap, cit. in the book *1776*

Registered
    Sep 2009

"...I wish that I could really tell you
    All the things that happened to me
    And all that I have seen.
    A world full of people their hearts full of joy,
    Cities of light with no fear of war,
    And thousands of creatures with happier lives,
    And dreams of a future with meaning and no need to hide...."

Genesis, "Keep It Dark"

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Away thou changeling motley humourist,
    Leave me, and in this standing wooden chest,
    Consorted with these few books, let me lie
    In prison, and here be coffin’d when I die.
    Here are God’s conduits, grave divines, and here
    Nature’s secretary, the philosopher,
    And wily statesmen, which teach how to tie
    The sinews of a city’s mystic body;
    Here gathering chroniclers, and by them stand
    Giddy fantastic poets of each land."

--Donne, Satire 1

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I want the seals of power and place,
    The ensigns of command,
    Charged by the people's unbought grace,
    To rule my native land.
    Nor crown, nor scepter would I ask
    But from my country's will,
    By day, by night, to ply the task
    Her cup of bliss to fill."

John Quincy Adams, The Wants of Man, stanza 22 (1841)

Registered
    Jul 2013

In vain has God in his wisdom divided the countries of the earth by the separating ocean, if nevertheless profane ships bound over waters not to be violated. The race of man presumptuous enough to endure every thing, rushes on through hidden wickedness.

--Horace, Ode I.3, Loeb translation

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sir Humphrey: "The only way to understand the Press is to remember that they pander to their readers' prejudices."
    Jim Hacker: "Don't tell me about the Press. I know exactly who reads the papers. The Daily Mirror is read by the people who think they run the country. The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country. The Times is read by the people who actually do run the country. The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country. The Financial Times is read by people who own the country. The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country. The Daily Telegraph is read by the people who think it is.
    Sir Humphrey: "Prime Minister, what about the people who read The Sun?"
    Bernard Woolley: "Sun readers don't care who runs the country - as long as she's got big tits."

From "A Conflict of Interest," Yes, Prime Minister (1987)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"As an example, consider a grocery list of six items milk, hot dogs, dog food, tomatoes, bananas, and bread. To associate the milk with the bookstore, we might imagine books lying in a puddle of milk in front of the bookstore. To associate hot dogs with a coffee shop (the next location on the path from the bookstore), we might imagine someone stirring their coffee with a hot dog. The pizza shop is next, and to associate it with dog food, we might imagine a dog-food pizza (well, some people even like anchovies). Then we come to an intersection; to associate it with tomatoes, we can imagine an overturned vegetable truck with tomatoes splattered everywhere. Next we come to a bicycle shop and create an image of a bicyclist eating a banana. Finally, we reach the library and associate it with bread by imagining a huge loaf of bread serving as a canopy under which we must pass to enter."

--John R. Anderson, *Cognitive Psychology and its Impliciations*, 8th edition (MacMillan textbook 2015)

Registered
    Sep 2009

"As long as our government is administered for the good of the people, and is regulated by their will; as long as it secures to us the rights of persons and of property, liberty of conscience, and of the press, it will be worth defending." - Andrew Jackson, 1829

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Varius, you can plant no tree preferable to the sacred vine, about the mellow soil of Tibur, and the walls of Catilus. For God hath rendered every thing cross to the sober; nor do biting cares disperse any otherwise. Who, after wine, complains of the hardships of war or of poverty!"
    --Horace, *Odes* I.XVIII, Loeb translation (There are some major problems with the old Loeb translation, but I'm too lazy to correct it. It's basically stupid, but the poetry itself is adequate, and after more than two thousand years and countless imitations since, I'll defend Horace.)

Registered
    Sep 2009

"All the lessons of history and experience must be lost upon us if we are content to trust alone to the peculiar advantages we happen to possess." - Martin Van Buren

Registered
    Jul 2013

"The core affect, whether positive or negative, is the basis for our emotional life, and our cognitive and behavioral choices. Within its innate and automatic nature, it will certainly influence the all-or-nothing binary perceptions of oneself and of others and will shape the binary nature of narcissistic approaches to oneself: all good or all bad. The developing defenses will be shaped by a similar binary assessment; grandiosity or unconscious humiliation and narcissistic collapse."

Efrat Ginot, *The Neuropsychology of the Unconscious: Integrating brain and mind in psychotherapy* (NY and London: The Norton Series on Interpersonal Neurobiology)

Registered
    Sep 2009

Fourth Bruce: "Goodday, Bruce, Hello Bruce, how are you, Bruce? Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce a chap from pommie land... who'll be joining us this year here in the Philosophy Department of the University of Woolamaloo."
    All: "Goodday."
    Fourth Bruce: "Michael Baldwin - this is Bruce. Michael Baldwin - this is Bruce. Michael Baldwin - this is Bruce."
    First Bruce: "Is your name not Bruce, then?"
    Michael: "No, it's Michael."
    Second Bruce: "That's going to cause a little confusion."
    Third Bruce: "Mind if we call you 'Bruce' to keep it clear?"

Monty Python's Flying Circus, "Bruces sketch," 1970

Registered
    Jul 2013

The evening had made me light-headed and happy; I think I walked into a deep sleep as I entered my front door. So I didn’t know whether or not Gatsby went to Coney Is-
    land or for how many hours he ‘glanced into rooms’ while his house blazed gaudily on. I called up Daisy from the office next morning and invited her to come to tea."

--*The Great Gatsby* (Despite what they say, it's not a bad novel, you know! . Little long, I guess.)

Registered
    Sep 2009

(I was underwhelmed by TGG in college, but reread it a few years ago and liked it much more. And I wouldn't say it's too long - not at all).

"The only legitimate right to govern is an express grant of power from the governed." - William Henry Harrison, 1841

Registered
    Jul 2013

"What was the rest of the world doing during the six hundred years when the great powers and European states went through their Ages of Dynasties, Religions, Sovereignty, Nationalism, and Ideology; were racked by two world wars; and then fell into a long peace? Unfortunately the Eurocentric bias of the historical record makes it impossible to trace out curves with any confidence." --Stephen Pinker, *The Better Angels of our Nature"

yes, I was making a little joke about *TGG* -- I think I read it in high school, but I didn't grok it at the time. Now, I agree with everybody that it's one king-hell of a novel -- just the right length for reading in a sitting, too.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Virgil Caine is the name, and I served on the Danville train,
    Til Stoneman's cavalry came and tore up the tracks again.
    In the winter of '65, we were hungry, just barely alive.
    By May the tenth, Richmond had fell, it's a time I remember, oh so well,
    The night they drove old Dixie down, and the bells were ringin',
    The night they drove old Dixie down, and the people were singin'
    They went 'La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la....'"

"The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down," The Band (1969)

Registered
    Jul 2013

Crazy Chester followed me, and he caught me in the fog,
    He said I'll fix your rack if you take Jack my dog
    --"The Weight" Levon Helm. Probably the right lyrics.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong." - Anon.

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Contra Walter Blair, its foremost historian, American dialect humor existed well before the nineteenth-century. The journalistic guise of the illiterate-but-shrewd rural critic can be found in a document composed as early as 1763, when a correspondent of the Boston Evening-Post took the persona "Humphrey Ploughjogger" and wrote just such a satire to "poke fun at bugbears of the day." This might be a negligible cavil (at least to Pound studies) if not for the true identity of the author of this seeming anomaly: future president John Adams."

Fabian Ironside, "Pound and/or Jackson: Traces of Jacksonian Humor in Ezra Pound's Writing."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"We already have enough youth. How about a Fountain of Smart?" - Anon.

Registered
    Jul 2013

"I do not any longer like the postman, nor the grocer, nor the editor, nor the cousin¿s husband, and he in turn will come to dislike me, so that life will never be very pleasant again, and the sign Cave Canem is hung permanently just above my door. I will try to be a correct animal though, and if you throw me a bone with enough meat on it I may even lick your hand."
    --Fitzgerald, "The Crack-Up"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Popularity, I have always thought, may aptly be compared to a coquette - the more you woo her, the more apt is she to elude your embrace." - John Tyler, 1816

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Don't think that soft talk is wanted
    you write down what you take for the facts
    call pork pork in your proposals."
    --Pound *Cantos* 61

Registered
    Sep 2009

"By the theory of our Government majorities rule, but this right is not an arbitrary or unlimited one. It is a right to be exercised in subordination to the Constitution and in conformity to it. One great object of the Constitution was to restrain majorities from oppressing minorities or encroaching upon their just rights. Minorities have a right to appeal to the Constitution as a shield against such oppression." - James K. Polk, Inaugural Address, 1845

Registered
    Jul 2013

"The survey of smooth lawns and gently sloping meads, covered with rich coats of white and red clover and luxuriant orchard grass, made no delightful impression on their eyes. No, sir; mere meadows are too common to gratify the refined taste of an exquisite with sweet sandy whiskers. He must have undulations, beautiful mounds, and other contrivances, to ravish his exalted and ethereal soul. Hence, the reformers have constructed a number of clever sized hills, every pair of which, it is said, was designed to resemble and assume the form of an Amazon's bosom, with a miniature knoll or hillock on its apex, to denote the nipple."
    --Charles Ogle, the "Gold Spoon oration"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Summer after high school, when we first met
    We make-out in your Mustang to Radiohead
    And on my eighteenth birthday, we got matching tattoos

Used to steal your parents' liquor and climb to the roof
    Talk about our future like we had a clue
    Never planned that one day I'd be losing you

In another life, I would be your girl
    We'd keep all our promises, be us against the world
    In another life, I would make you stay
    So I don't have to say you were the one that got away...."

Katy Perry, "The One That Got Away"

Registered
    Jul 2013

"We are what we read more than we know. And it was true no less in that distant founding time. Working on the life of John Adams, I tried to read not only what he and others of his day wrote, but what they read. And to take up and read again works of literature of the kind we all remember from high school or college English classes was not only a different kind of research, but pure delight.

I read Swift, Pope, Defoe, Sterne, Fielding, and Samuel Johnson again after forty years, and Tobias Smollett and Don Quixote for the first time. I then began to find lines from these writers turning up in the letters of my American subjects, turning up without attribution, because the lines were part of them, part of who they were and how they thought and expressed themselves."
    --McCullough, "The Course of Human Events," May 15 2013 Wash. DC

Better:

"If you are absolutely determined to make a lawyer of yourself the thing is more than half done already. It is a small matter whether you read with any one or not. I did not read with any one. Get the books and read and study them in their every feature, and that is the main thing. It is no consequence to be in a large town while you are reading. I read at New Salem, which never had three hundred people in it. The books and your capacity for understanding them are just the same in all places. [...] Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other one thing."
    --Lincoln, 1855, private correspondence.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 28 Jul 2016 at 02:31 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

They're both good! You could use one now, and the other next time.

"I congratulate you, my fellow-citizens, upon the high state of prosperity to which the goodness of Divine Providence has conducted our common country. Let us invoke a continuance of the same protecting care which has led us from small beginnings to the eminence we this day occupy." - Zachary Taylor, Inaugural Address (1849)

Registered
    Jul 2013

But...but...that would violate my own rules about....something.....but....trust me, I have some!

"In a post-experimental interview, only 4 of the 1 42 participants described the original three samples as displaying hostility. These effects were not limited to visual displays. Subjects who initially worked with scrambled sentences exhibiting a mild hostility-related theme produced similar data. These results are consistent with the spreading activation perspective in that the creative process is facilitated by previously encountered, and unconsciously detected, themes in one's environment."
    --*The Cambridge Handbook of Thinking and Reasoning*

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Hello, good evening, and welcome to 'It's A Living'. The rules are very simple: each week we get a large fee; at the end of that week we get another large fee; if there's been no interruption at the end of the year we get a repeat fee which can be added on for tax purposes to the previous year, or the following year if there's no new series. Every contestant, in addition to getting a large fee, is entitled to three drinks at the BBC or if the show is over, seven drinks - unless he is an MP, in which case he can have seven drinks before the show, or a bishop only three drinks in toto. The winners will receive an additional fee, a prize which they can flog back and a special fee for a guest appearance on 'Late Night Line Up'. Well, those are the rules, that's the game, we'll be back again same time next week. Till then, bye-bye!"

Monty Python's Flying Circus, "It's A Living" (1970)

+ Reply to thread