I'm wonderin' if a thug's prayers reach
    Is Pious pious 'cause God loves pious?
    Socrates asks, 'Whose bias do y'all seek?'
    All for Plato, screech
    I'm out here' ballin', I know y'all hear my sneaks...."

"No Church in the Wild," Kanye West and Jay Z

Registered
    Jul 2013

"In the history of all the arts, there exists a moment of happy equilibrium between the monumental powerfulness-capacity [puissance] and the refinement of form, between the density of beautiful impersonal masses which mean a higher and more peaceful order than our own, and the nuances, secrets, of our psychological life." -- H. Focillon, *The Middle Ages, Roman and Gothic*

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I wanna be a billionaire so fuckin' bad
    Buy all of the things I never had
    I wanna be on the cover of Forbes magazine
    Smiling next to Oprah and the Queen
    Oh, every time I close my eyes
    I see my name in shining lights
    Yeah, a different city every night, oh, right
    I swear, the world better prepare
    For when I'm a billionaire

Yeah, I would have a show like Oprah
    I would be the host of, everyday Christmas
    Give Travie a wish list
    I'd probably pull an Angelina and Brad Pitt
    And adopt a bunch of babies that ain't never had shit
    Give away a few Mercedes, like, 'Here, lady, have this,'
    And last but not least grant somebody their last wish...."

"Billionaire" by Travie McCoy

Registered
    Jul 2013

"he was raised in a swamp, back of the sluigh
    Grew up eating rattlesnake, drinking homemade brew
    Folks bout here call him gator, and everybody knows him well
    Meanest man ever come out a swamp, folks swear he come straight out of hell,
    Well gator mccluskey sitting on a stump (unintelligible) twelve guage pump,
    Sitting on the stump watching out for the law, while they make the best corn liquor you ever saw.'
    Anon., trad.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Chance is the pseudonym God uses when He doesn't want to sign His name." - Anatole France

Registered
    Jul 2013

"A functor which simply 'forgets' some or all of the algebraic structure of an algebraic object is commonly called a *forgetful* functor (or an *underlying* functor)."
    -- mac Lane *categories for the working mathematician*

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Unlimited power is apt to corrupt the minds of those who possess it; and this I know, my lords, that where laws end, tyranny begins." - William Pitt the Elder, 1st Earl of Chatham

Registered
    Jul 2013

"(no smoking) IT'S A FUCKING MORGUE! Fucking pansies." --Diane in *Twin Peaks*

Registered
    Sep 2009

"If it had unfortunately happened that by the circumstances of birth and education, a Nelson, a Wellington, a Burke, a Fox, or a Pitt, had belonged to this class of the community, of what honours and what glory might not the page of British history have been deprived? To what perils and calamities might not this country have been exposed? The question is not whether we would have so large a part of the population Catholic or not. There they are, and we must deal with them as we can. It is in vain to think that by any human pressure, we can stop the spring which gushes from the earth. But it is for us to consider whether we will force it to spend its strength in secret and hidden courses, undermining our fences, and corrupting our soil, or whether we shall, at once, turn the current into the open and spacious channel of honourable and constitutional ambition, converting it into the means of national prosperity and public wealth." - Lord Palmerston, speech in favor of Catholic emancipation (1813)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Later, when he could no longer accept the Church’s dogma, [Berlioz] never lost his aesthetic sympathy and respect for [the Church's] forms or his humility before its wisdom. All his works, sacred and secular, are characterized by dazzling variety in atmosphere, structure, and orchestral texture. His method of development and his harmonic progressions bewildered most of his contemporaries"
    --"Louis Hector Berlioz," in *The New Catholic Encyclopedia*

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Those men all have their prices." - Sir Robert Walpole, first British Prime Minister (c. 1721)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Object tracking supports high availability through stateful restarts." -- *Cisco Nexus 7000 Series NX-OS Unicast Routing Configuration Guide*

Registered
    Sep 2009

"There are two supreme pleasures in life. One is ideal, the other real. The ideal is when a man receives the seals of office from the hands of his Sovereign. The real pleasure comes when he hands them back." - the Earl of Rosebery (c. 1895)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Passing Score: 811[ASCII 10 "line break"]Your Score: 941" --some undisclosed prominent company which offers prestigious industry certifications.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"We’ve always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments - these moments when we dared to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known - we count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we’ve just forgotten that we are still pioneers, that we’ve barely begun, and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, for our destiny lies above us." - Joseph Cooper, astronaut, Interstellar trailer (2014)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"It's no trick to make a lot of money, if all you want to do is make a lot of money." --Everett Sloan in *Citizen Kane* (or something close to that he said)

Registered
    Sep 2009

"It is impossible that the whisper of a faction should prevail against the voice of a nation." - Lord Russell (1831)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"While [Jukes] was exchanging explanatory yells with his captain, a sudden lowering of the darkness came upon the night, falling before their vision like something palpable. It was as if the masked lights of the world had been turned down." --Conrad, "Typhoon"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Yes, I am a Jew, and when the ancestors of the right honorable gentleman were brutal savages in an unknown island, mine were priests in the temple of Solomon." - Benjamin Disraeli, responding to the taunt of a political foe

Registered
    Jul 2013

"It was the Serang, an elderly, alert, little Malay, with a very dark skin, who murmured the order to the helmsman. And then slowly Captain Whalley sat down again in the arm-chair on the bridge and fixed his eyes on the deck between his feet. He could not hope to see anything new upon this lane of the sea." --Conrad, *The End of the Tether*

Registered
    Sep 2009

"There should be a sympathy with freedom, a desire to give it scope, founded not upon visionary ideas, but upon the long experience of many generations within the shores of this happy isle, that in freedom you lay the firmest foundations both of loyalty and order; the firmest foundations for the development of individual character; and the best provision for the happiness of the nation at large." - William Gladstone (1879)

Registered
    Jul 2013

Wow, I guessed that one right, I knew Gladstone had to be coming up soon. I think he gets a repeat, but not enough to look it up, since I'll find out soon enough with no pesky effort.

"A boarding-house is no sort of home though it may get you a living. His feelings were horribly rasped by the idea of the boarding-house. In his rank of life he had that truly aristocratic temperament characterized by a scorn of vulgar gentility and by prejudiced views as to the derogatory nature of certain occupations." --Conrad, *The End of the Tether*

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sure, Gladstone's worth another one. Have you read Roy Jenkins's bio of him? Quite good.

"Remember the rights of the savage, as we call him. Remember that the happiness of his humble home, remember that the sanctity of life in the hill villages of Afghanistan among the winter snows, are as sacred in the eye of Almighty God as are your own. Remember that He who has united you together as human beings in the same flesh and blood, has bound you by the law of mutual love, that that mutual love is not limited by the shores of this island, is not limited by the boundaries of Christian civilisation, that it passes over the whole surface of the earth, and embraces the meanest along with the greatest in its wide scope." - William Gladstone (1879)

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I haven't read hardly anything about Gladstone -- thanks for the recommendation, though -- I'll keep it in mind if I need something about WEG. ETA and it will be here for future archaeologists. That sounds odd, but it's not nothing.

"It is customary nowadays to dismiss contemptuously the atomic view of sensation as it appears in Hume and his followers. We are told that the sensible world is a continuous flux, in which divisions are unreal, the work of the mind purely conceptual, and so on. This is said as something obvious, for which only a stupid man would demand evidence." -- B Russell EETA resize (IIRC he inherited the title of lord from that other guy back then, and really didn't want it to get around town or among his mainland European contacts, perhaps following the younger Wittgenstein's lead in trying to obscure his identity, or maybe it's a British thing). Oh, that's from *Inquiry in Meaning in Truth*, back when publishers used to put neat books in little pocket-sized paperbacks and sell them cheap.[/eeta]
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 03 Aug 2017 at 01:22 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Oh, God, it is all over. It is all over!" - Lord North, upon hearing of the American victory at Yorktown (1781)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"And time with us was never popular.
    When have we not preferred some going round
    To going straight to where we are?"
    --from Auden, "Our Bias"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." - William Pitt the Younger (1783)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Law, says the priest with a priestly look,
    Expounding to an unpriestly people,
    Law is the words in my priestly book,
    Law is my pulpit and my steeple."
    --Auden, from "Law Like Love"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"[I]f we lose our chance now...that chance will not return either to us or to our children. The memories of the last War will grow dim. The world will get back into the old rut, familiar professions and piety about peace will again soothe us to sleep, and the various countries will once more base their security upon military preparation. So they will all, in the end, find themselves drifting hopelessly upon those currents that make for war... and remember what the next war will be like. The old lines which divide combatants from non-combatants, the weak and the diseased from the strong and the robust, men from women and children, will all be obliterated and civilization itself assailed, and from sea and sky will be brought to a heap of ruins." - Ramsay MacDonald (1929)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"That is why young Alan Turing, instead of entering into our community of interpreters, preferred to start by constructing primitive typewriters and to end by conceiving, a few years later, the most primitive and most universal machine ever thought of. The Oriental Goddess and Collosi simply represented the first and partial realizations of Turing's Universal Discrete Machine. This young man had, by dismissing human and usually female secretaries, reduced the typewriter's discrete but not yet binary systems to its very principle." --Friedr. KITTLER, "Media Wars: Trenches, Lightning, Stars," in KITTLER, *Literature, Media, Information Systems: Essays," tr. J. Johnston

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I have often thought, with reference to the late War...that it has shown the whole world how thin is the crust of civilisation on which this generation is walking. The realisation of that must have come with an appalling shock to most of us here. But more than that. There is not a man in this House who does not remember the first air raids and the first use of poisoned gas, and the cry that went up from this country. We know how, before the War ended, we were all using both those means of imposing our will upon our enemy. We realise that when men have their backs to the wall they will adopt any means for self-preservation. But there was left behind an uncomfortable feeling in the hearts of millions of men throughout Europe that, whatever had been the result of the War, we had all of us slipped down in our views of what constituted civilisation. We could not help feeling that future wars might provide, with further discoveries in science, a more rapid descent for the human race. There came a feeling, which I know is felt in all quarters of this House, that if our civilisation is to be saved, even at its present level, it behoves all people in all nations to do what they can by joining hands to save what we have, that we may use it as the vantage ground for further progress, rather than run the risk of all of us sliding in the abyss together." - Stanley Baldwin (1923)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Russkie--'So what brought you here?' Yank--'A fellow that doesn't work so well.' Russkie--'The man in the wheelchair? How did he get there? Yank--'Seems to me that was in your neck of the woods back in the late unpleasantness.' [onscreen business about a falling coffee cup] Yank--'Good reflexes.' Russkie--'Oh yeah, they die hard.'" -- the motion picture *Ronin* IIRC directed by Frankenheimer, who I think was an Oscar fellow. Jesus, JFrankenh. worked a long time. Kids today, they start too soon and end too young. Huston, Ford, Hawks, Chabrol, Siegel, Fuller, they all were in it to win it.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"This morning I had another talk with the German Chancellor, Herr Hitler, and here is the paper which bears his name upon it as well as mine... We regard the agreement signed last night and the Anglo-German Naval Agreement, as symbolic of the desire of our two peoples never to go to war with one another again... This is the second time in our history that there has come back from Germany to Downing Street peace with honour. I believe it is peace in our time." - Neville Chamberlain (1938)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Nothing is further from the wishes of Leonardo's biographers than to try to solve the problems in their hero's mental life by starting from his small weaknesses and peculiarities; and the usual comment that they make on these singular accounts is one which lays stress on the artist's kindness and consideration for his pupils. They forget that what calls for explanation is not Leonardo's behavior, but the fact that he left these pieces of evidence of it behind him." --SFreud, Leonardobüchlein, trans. ATyson

Registered
    Sep 2009

"We shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the Old." - Winston Churchill, speech in the House of Commons (4 June 1940)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"[T]he material invites so great a variety of shading that we have felt justified in making numerous additions in this regard, in order to prevent the player from falling into an indiscriminating 'reading-off' or 'rattling-off,' such as many self-appointed guardians of the classic still unhappily declare to be canonical." Bülow, Lebert, eds. Beethoven PSonata Op 26, note to Rondo bar 13.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Unfortunately, in this country the propaganda for entering the Common Market has been largely based on defeatism. We are told that unless we do it we are going to have a terrible time. That is no way to go into a negotiation. You ought to go into a negotiation on the basis that they have need of you, not just you of them." - Clement Attlee (1962)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Wong. Racist name."

Registered
    Sep 2009

A Rick and Morty reference, right?

"It would be impertinent for a country that did not suffer occupation to carry a judgment on another one that suffered one." - Anthony Eden (1971)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"[T]he Redgrin Grumble [...]. Oh, you agree, huh? It's funny. You like that redgrin grumble reference?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Perhaps the most extraordinary thing about a modern battlefield is the desolation and emptiness of it all...one cannot emphasize too much. Nothing is to be seen of war or soldiers--only the split and shattered trees and the burst of an occasional shell reveal anything of the truth. One can look for miles and see no human being. But in those miles of country lurk (like moles or rats, it seems) thousands, even hundreds of thousands of men, planning against each other perpetually some new device of death. Never showing themselves, they launch at each other bullet, bomb, aerial torpedo and shell. And somewhere too (on the German side we know of their existence opposite us) are the little cylinders of gas, waiting only for the moment to spit forth their nauseous and destroying fumes. And yet the landscape shows nothing of all this--nothing but a few shattered trees and three or four lines of earth and sandbags, these and the ruins of towns and villages are the only signs of war anywhere visible. The glamour of red coats--the martial tunes of flag and drum--aide-de-camps scurrying hither and thither on splendid chargers--lances glittering and swords flashing--how different the old wars must have been!" - Harold Macmillan (1916)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Of all human sciences the most useful and most imperfect appears to me to be that of mankind: and I will venture to say, the single inscription on the Temple of Delphi contained a precept more difficult and more important than is to be found in all the huge volumes that moralists have ever written." -- Lincoln Hawk Rousseau, pref. to "Discourse,Orig.ofInequa."trans.GDHCole.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I suppose, when you come to think of it, he is the fourteenth Mr. Wilson." - Alec Douglas-Home, said of his opponent, Harold Wilson, who criticized him for being the fourteenth Earl of Home (he renounced his title when he became Prime Minister)(1963)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"RICK SANCHEZ -- What part of "blackout" don't you understand? I thought you drank.
    CHRISTIAN SLATER -- Like cool drinking! Like sexy drinking, not this psycho, trailer-park shit."

Registered
    Sep 2009

"He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery." - Harold Wilson (1967)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Rage is a basic emotion, which is not to be confused with aggression.... A leading neuroscientist investigating rage is Jaak Panksepp, whose *Affective Neuroscience* is a standard textbook in the field. He argues that aggression is wider than anger, distinguishing at least two forms of 'aggressive circuits' in mammalian brains: predation and rage." -- John Protevi, "Ontology, Biology, and History of Affect," in Bryant, Srnicek, and Harman, eds., *The Speculative Turn* (2011)

Registered
    Sep 2009

"This was a secret meeting on a secret tour which nobody is supposed to know about. It means that there are men, and perhaps women, in this country walking around with eggs in their pockets, just on the off-chance of seeing the Prime Minister." - Edward Heath, after being egged by protestors (1970)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Encapsulation yields robustness and adaptability, for it allows the implementation details of parts of a program to change without adversely affecting other parts, thereby making it easier to fix bugs or add new functionality with relatively local changes to a component." -- the Python version of Goodrich and Tomassia and some other guy Data Structures book, eta, I can't remember the exact title, but a basic textbook

Registered
    Sep 2009

BTW, what's the Greek in your avatar mean, Jizz?

"A leader has to appear consistent. That doesn't mean he has to be consistent." - James Callaghan (1986)

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not really sure. I just scrawled it using the trackpad in Gnome Paint. It's supposed to read: "hepatotoxicon," but I may have misspelled it and it may also not be a word.

"'Or put it another way,' said Neary; 'the single, brilliant, organised, compact blotch in the tumult of heterogeneous stimulation.' 'Blotch is the word,' said Murphy."
    --Beckett, *Murphy*

No, I wasn't just saving that quote for just such an occasion -- I've only just started reading in *Murphy* last night, and I find it amusing, even though it's a childrens' book
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 28 Aug 2017 at 09:49 AM.

+ Reply to thread