+ Reply to thread
Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Post brief quotes from fiction/narrative/whatever

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Something something put on a sweater something something. You gay old woman."

--Carter
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 06 May 2017 at 12:04 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at?" - Gov. Ronald Reagan, opposing expansion of Redwood National Park, California, as quoted in the Sacramento Bee (March 3, 1966)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"In every age there have been people who considered that an individual had one overriding affiliation so much more important in every circumstance to all others that it might legitimately be called his " identity." For some it was the nation, for others religion or class. But one has only to look at the various conflicts being fought out all over the world today to realise that no one allegiance has absolute supremacy."
    --Amin Maalouf, *On Identity: Violence and the Need to Belong* (no, I don't agree with the corruption of the title in English, IMHO, but it's better to read the book one has found than not at all).

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I never knew, I never knew that everything was falling through
    That everyone I knew was waiting on a queue
    To turn and run when all I needed was the truth
    But that's how it's got to be
    It's coming down to nothing more than apathy
    I'd rather run the other way than stay and see
    The smoke and who's still standing when it clears and
    Everyone knows I'm in
    Over my head, over my head
    With eight seconds left in overtime
    She's on your mind, she's on your mind

Let's rearrange
    I wish you were a stranger I could disengage
    Just say that we agree and then never change
    Soften a bit until we all just get along
    But that's disregard
    You find another friend and you discard
    As you lose the argument in a cable car...."

The Fray, "Over My Head (Cable Car)"

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Elsewhere, far from here! too late! never maybe!
    I didn't know to where your flight, you don't know where I'm headed,
    Ye whom I should have loved, ye who knows it."
    --Baudelaire, "A une passante"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"There is no higher honor than to serve free men and women, no greater privilege than to labor in government beneath the Great Seal of the United States and the American flag. There is nothing more fulfilling than to serve your country and your fellow citizens and to do it well. And that's what our system of self-government depends on." - George H.W. Bush (1989)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"*Polyeucte*...It's the story of a religious partisan, fully convinced of the righteousness of his convictions, who abandons his pals in order to try a suicidal action against the symbolic values of the opposing religion. Arrested, subject to an interrogation, he does not weaken in his determination and accepts, without renouncing his act, the death which is promised to him."
    --Claude Bourqui and Simone de Reyff, "Introduction" to *Pocket Theater* edition of Corneille, *Polyeucte* Here's my eurocentric piece of hate speech of the day: grumble grumble academic journals regularly print articles in the standard languages of English, German, and French (and very occasionally Italian, but I don't care about that, because nobody reads Italian, really, except for the dagos) and I think it was only recently that translating citations in Latin went out of fashion. Grumble grumble, kids these days. Well, that's my excuse -- I've spent my whole adult life reading these types of publications and, for me, that's just the way it is and the way I like it. White male of European descent OUT!

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Our democracy must be not only the envy of the world but the engine of our own renewal. There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." - Bill Clinton, First Inaugural Address (1993)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Rather, [Democrats] go back to the ancient Aristotelian tradition in which humans can achieve moral standing only in the context of a political community. In short, whereas for liberals the individual is prior and the community derived, for democrats it is the community that has priority, and individuality is realizable only in that context: it is this original (nonderived) entity—the 'people'—that can and should impose legitimate limits on the potentially endless desires of its component individuals, thus endowing them with moral status and dignity."
    --Karol Berger, *Bach's Cycle, Mozart's Arrow: An Essay on the Origins of Musical Modernity* (I don't know why I was reading that -- it's a pretty amusing read, but it seems like someone was regurgitating material from a dissertation at times, also, I think the author is probably a royal cunt IRL, for some reason. His tone is unacceptably pedantic and 'lofty,' so I'd recommend punching him in the nads a few times).
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 24 May 2017 at 09:53 PM. Reason: size aside

Registered
    Sep 2009

"The significance of a myth is not easily to be pinned on paper by analytical reasoning. It is at its best when it is presented by a poet who feels rather than makes explicit what his theme portends; who presents it incarnate in the world of history and geography, as our poet [of Beowulf] has done. Its defender is thus at a disadvantage: unless he is careful, and speaks in parables, he will kill what he is studying by vivisection, and he will be left with a formal or mechanical allegory, and what is more, probably with one that will not work. For myth is alive at once and in all its parts, and dies before it can be dissected." - J.R.R. Tolkien (1936)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"In the last years of the century, Dante was prompted by his ardent temperament and also by religious zeal to take an active role in the political life of his town."
    --The New Catholic Encyclopedia, "Dante Alighieri"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I've been here before
    But always hit the floor
    I've spent a lifetime runnin'
    And I always get away
    But with you I'm feeling something
    That makes me want to stay

I'm prepared for this
    I never shoot to miss
    But I feel like a storm is coming
    If I'm gonna make it through the day
    Then there's no more use in runnin'
    This is something I gotta face

If I risk it all
    Could you break my fall?
    How do I live? How do I breathe?
    When you're not here I'm suffocating
    I wanna feel love, run through my blood
    Tell me, is this where I give it all up?
    For you I have to risk it all
    'Cause the writing's on the wall...."

Sam Smith, "Writing's on the Wall"

Registered
    Jul 2013

"One morning I woke up and found my favorite pigeon, Julius, had died. I was devastated and was gonna use his crate as my stickball bat to honor him. I left the crate on my stoop and went in to get something and I returned to see the sanitation man put the crate into the crusher. I rushed him and caught him flush on the temple with a titanic right hand - he was out cold, convulsing on the floor like an infantile retard."
    --Mike Tyson

Registered
    Sep 2009

"We go forward with complete confidence in the eventual triumph of freedom. Not because history runs on the wheels of inevitability; it is human choices that move events. Not because we consider ourselves a chosen nation; God moves and chooses as He wills. We have confidence because freedom is the permanent hope of mankind, the hunger in dark places, the longing of the soul. When our Founders declared a new order of the ages; when soldiers died in wave upon wave for a union based on liberty; when citizens marched in peaceful outrage under the banner "Freedom Now" - they were acting on an ancient hope that is meant to be fulfilled. History has an ebb and flow of justice, but history also has a visible direction, set by liberty and the Author of Liberty." - George W. Bush, Second Inaugural Address (2005)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"even though I prefer it to the grandness of the empire, as the supreme good, and the only one to which I aspire, I believe, to satisfy a just and holy love to be able to put it off a little, and do so for a day."--Corneille, *Polyeucte*, I.1. Did I mention I fucking think it's ridiculous to have to translate? Woman's work.

Registered
    Jul 2013

"One of the amazing things about the way we celebrate the key mysteries of our faith is that we don’t just celebrate it for a day, but we celebrate them in “seasons.” Easter for us is not just the day Christ resurrected from the dead, but it is the continuous fifty days after the resurrection day, culminating next Sunday with theSolemnity of the Pentecost. Yes, we are still in Easter! Today, within this season of Easter, we celebrate the Solemnity of the Ascension of the Lord. Traditionally, this Solemnity is celebrated on Thursday of the 6 th Sunday of Easter but, in most of the dioceses in the US just like ours, it is moved to the 7 th Sunday of Easter to ensure greater participation among the faithful and to underscore the theological importance of this solemnity. " -- homily, St Cecilia ( a new parish to me, which I'm glad to encounter this morning)

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I know, too, that Islam has always been a part of America's story. The first nation to recognize my country was Morocco. In signing the Treaty of Tripoli in 1796, our second President, John Adams, wrote, 'The United States has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Muslims.' And since our founding, American Muslims have enriched the United States. They have fought in our wars, served in government, stood for civil rights, started businesses, taught at our Universities, excelled in our sports arenas, won Nobel Prizes, built our tallest building, and lit the Olympic Torch. And when the first Muslim-American was recently elected to Congress, he took the oath to defend our Constitution using the same Holy Koran that one of our Founding Fathers – Thomas Jefferson – kept in his personal library." - Barack Obama, speech in Cairo (2009)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"One could ask oneself the question: have French intellectuals gone massively right-wards and become reactionary? [...] This swerve to the right is not so clean. The truth in my opinion is that they have abandonned the left without having gone so far as to join the right. They have found something whose memory, and even the very notion, they have completely lost, namely freedom of thought." -- Michel Houellebecq, "The Elites Hate The People," 18-ii-2017 opinion piece in *Valeurs actuelles*

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Relativity propped it up, at least gave it the illusion of being there...the way all reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted." - Joe Haldeman, The Forever War

Registered
    Jul 2013

"You can’t be disturbed by anything. There’s no emotion involved. You can’t feel sorrow, you can’t feel pity, there’s nothing you feel. The job has to be done.” -- Mike Tyson

Registered
    Jul 2013

Or, from a slightly more respectable source, IgnatiusL: "Pray as if everything depends on God, work as if everything depends on you." I see some word pussies on the internet think it is not from Ignace, but it is quoted in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, with a footnote attributing to Ignatius, so that's good enough, as though it matters.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Lying here with you
    Listening to the rain
    Smiling just to see the smile upon your face
    These are the moments I thank God that I'm alive
    These are the moments I'll remember all my life
    I found all I've waited for
    And I could not ask for more

Looking in your eyes
    Seeing all I need
    Everything you are is everything to me
    These are the moments
    I know heaven must exist
    These are the moments I know all I need is this
    I have all I've waited for
    And I could not ask for more

I could not ask for more than this time together
    I could not ask for more than this time with you
    Every prayer has been answered
    Every dream I have's come true
    And right here in this moment is right where I'm meant to be
    Here with you, here with me...."

Edwin McCain, "I Could Not Ask for More"

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Thus by the time he arrived at Congress, [Andrew] Jackson understood that his Federalist colleagues had revealed 'their wish to Cultivate a close friendship with Britain at the Expence of awar with the French Republick [sic].' He wrote to his trusted friend, his wife's brother-in-law, Robert Hays, and bemoaned the course of events."
    --Andrew Burstein, *The Passions of Andrew Jackson*

Registered
    Sep 2009

"...That garden sweet, that lady fair,
    And all sweet shapes and odours there,
    In truth have never passed away:
    'Tis we, 'tis ours, are changed; not they.

For love, and beauty, and delight,
    There is no death nor change: their might
    Exceeds our organs, which endure
    No light, being themselves obscure."

Percy Bysshe Shelley, "The Sensitive Plant"

Registered
    Jul 2013

Good choice. I don't know if it's by suggestion or by aptitude, but that's always been one of my favorites of Shelley.

"Whether we know it or not, most of us are influenced by ancient Greek philosophy. The Greeks draw a sharp distinction between the material and spiritual, between heaven and earth, between the body and the soul. Body bad. Soul good."
    --Msgr. Pat's published homily on Ascension Day, from my own parish.

Registered
    Sep 2009

“I’m not insane, sir,” I said. “I have a finely calibrated sense of acceptable risk.” - John Scalzi, Old Man's War (2005)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Read the TV guide, you don't need to watch TV." -- crazy grandpa in the motion picture *The Lost Boys*

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I was the third brother of five
    Doing whatever I had to do to survive
    I'm not saying what I did was alright
    Trying to break out of the ghetto was a day to day fight
    Been down so long, getting up didn't cross my mind
    I knew there was a better way of life that I was just trying to find
    You don't know what you'll do until you're put under pressure

Across 110th Street is a hell of a tester
    Across 110th Street
    Pimps trying to catch a woman that's weak
    Across 110th Street
    Pushers won't let the junkie go free
    Across 110th Street
    Woman trying to catch a trick on the street
    Across 110th Street
    You can find it all in the street...."

Bobby Womack, "Across 110th Street"

Registered
    Jul 2013

“Unfortunately, sometimes you can’t have fun accomplishing your goals. Sometimes people don’t have the determination, the will, the steadfastness, the tenacity, they give in under the slightest struggle.” --Mike Tyson

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I still hang around, neither lost nor found
    Hear the lonely sound of music in the night
    Nights are always bright
    That's all that's left for me, yeah
    I play the street life
    Because there's no place I can go

Street life, it's the only way I know
    Street life, and there's a thousand cards to play
    Until you play your life away
    You dress and walk and talk
    You're who you think you are
    Street life, you can run away from time
    Street life, for a nickel, for a dime
    Street life, but you better not get old
    Or you're gonna feel the cold...."

Randy Crawford and Joe Sample, "Street Life"

Registered
    Jul 2013

"[Schoenberg] said, 'Play it at the proper tempo and do not make mistakes.' She began again, and he stopped her immediately to say that she was making mistakes. She then burst into tears and between sobs explained that she had gone to the dentist earlier that day and that she'd had a tooth pulled out. He said, 'Do you have to have a tooth pulled out in order to make mistakes?'"
    --John Cage, "Indeterminacy," from *Lectures and Writings by John Cage*

oh you protestant alternative sectarians will like this, I notice on the back of the book published by Wesleyan UP. Hardehar.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Let me ask you something. Why don't people trust their instincts? They sense something is wrong, someone is walking too close behind them... you knew something was wrong but you came back into the house. Did I force you, did I drag you in? No. All I had to do was offer you a drink. It's hard to believe that the fear of offending can be stronger than the fear of pain. But you know what? It is. And they always come willingly. And then they sit there. They know it's all over just like you do but somehow they still think they have a chance. Maybe if I say the right thing? Maybe if I'm polite. If I cry, if i beg. And when I see the hope draining from their face like it is from yours right now, I can feel myself getting hard. You know, we're not that different, you and I. We both have urges. Satisfying mine requires more towels." - The villain in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (name withheld because spoilers)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"The artist pours out his creative spirit into a work; the philosopher measures his knowing spirit by the real."--jacques MARITAIN

Registered
    Sep 2009

"You can't con people, at least not for long. You can create excitement, you can do wonderful promotion and get all kinds of press, and you can throw in a little hyperbole. But if you don't deliver the goods, people will eventually catch on." - Donald Trump, Trump: The Art of the Deal (1987)

Registered
    Jul 2013

Fine, since u quote a Trump, i feel no need to translate from the language of Europe

"La vengeance du dieu, ou sa pudeur, en tout cas sa Némesis, est alors de *manquer* ŕ la prise męme qui le déchire"--gérard GRANEL, an essay from Écrits logiques et politiques

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Wake up kids
    We've got the dreamers disease
    Age fourteen we got you down on your knees
    So polite, you're busy still saying please
    Frenemies, who when you're down ain't your friend
    Every night we smash their Mercedes-Benz
    First we run, and then we laugh 'til we cry
    But when the night is falling
    You cannot find the light
    You feel your dreams are dying
    Hold tight

You've got the music in you
    Don't let go
    You've got the music in you
    One dance left
    This world is gonna pull through
    Don't give up
    You've got a reason to live
    Can't forget
    We only get what we give...."

New Radicals, "You Get What You Give"

Registered
    Jul 2013

I think that periods when you have an oppressive, right-wing government in power tend to be very conducive for rebel music from the underground.
    --interview w Thomas Dobly in latest TapeOp Magazine

Registered
    Sep 2009

I doubly appreciate Thomas Dobly. ;-)

"The sun can't remember how to shine
    And the colors all have faded into shades of grey
    There's no life in this hollow heart of mine
    Ever since you went away

...If time could find a way to turn around
    I would walk along the stars 'till I was back at your door
    Every word, every word
    Was spoken but without a sound
    And I found out what my heart is for

Close your eyes and feel me hold you
    Can you lead me through this ordinary world
    Let the sky cry restless rain
    To wash away the miles between us
    'Cause without you it's just an ordinary world...."

"Ordinary World," Katharine McPhee

Registered
    Jul 2013

now that I'm at a computer, not a tardPhone, explains my dumb-ass joke. The quote was real, though -- grabbed from the back of my toilet, noticed a few moments earlier. Not being a fan of pinkeye or fecal matter in my eyes, I waited until I'd washed my hands as usual after any anal or genital contact. Eh, whatever.

ETA that was a simulpost -- I'll have to wait until I'm actually reading something to do a good reply. I confess, I don't really understand many of these song lyrics, except in a vague way, but sometimes I get ideas that resonate with something I'm reading the moment.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 14 Jun 2017 at 12:48 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"You can't catch me, boy
    I'm overseas at about a hundred Gs, for sure
    Don't test me boy, 'cause I rap with the best
    Fo' sho three oh five to the death of me
    Cremate my body, let the ocean have what's left of me
    But for now, forget about that
    Blow the whistle, baby you're the referee

You put it down like New York City (I never sleep)
    Wild like Los Angeles (my fantasy)
    Hotter than Miami (I feel the heat)
    Oh oh oh oh it's international love
    Oh oh oh oh it's international love

I don't play football
    But I've touched down everywhere (everywhere?) everywhere
    I don't play baseball
    But I've hit a home run everywhere, everywhere
    I've been to countries and cities I can't pronounce
    And the places on the globe I didn't know existed...."

Pitbull, "International Love"

Registered
    Jul 2013

"in his pteface to *The Golden Bowl* Henry James describes the aithor's selection of apprppriate terms and sentences, using two metaphors. One is a metaphor of plant growth

Nussbaum, intro to collection *love's knowledge* oxford up i cant tupe the patagraph pn a yardphone

Registered
    Jul 2013

"in his pteface to *The Golden Bowl* Henry James describes the aithor's selection of apprppriate terms and sentences, using two metaphors. One is a metaphor of plant growth

Nussbaum, intro to collection *love's knowledge* oxford up i cant tupe the patagraph pn a yardphone

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Easy come, easy go, that's just how you live, oh
    Take, take, take it all, but you never give
    Should have known you was trouble from the first kiss
    Had your eyes wide open, why were they open?
    Gave you all I had and you tossed it in the trash
    You tossed it in the trash, you did
    To give me all your love is all I ever asked 'cause
    What you don't understand is:

I'd catch a grenade for ya (yeah, yeah)
    Throw my head on a blade for ya (yeah, yeah)
    I'd jump in front of a train for ya (yeah, yeah)
    You know I'd do anything for ya (yeah, yeah)
    Oh oh, I would go through all this pain
    Take a bullet straight through my brain
    Yes, I would die for ya baby
    But you won't do the same...."

Bruno Mars, "Grenade"

Registered
    Jul 2013

"i'll never regret, the years i'm giving,
    They're easy to give, when you're in love
    And happy to do whatever ı do for you"
    --robin & rainger 'easy living' (best in Eb, but F will do in a pinch)

Registered
    Sep 2009

"What do I do... stop, go, fail, succeed?
    Live or die? I just got to believe

Believe it's worth saving
    And to get lost, lost in a daydream
    So why hesitate?
    Take me to another place
    So far, far away
    So I can get out of the dark

High speed, like I'm racing
    It's like lighting, sky is blazing
    But you've lost your way, you've been led astray
    Are there better days for my fallen dreamer?

Calling a dreamer
    Calling a dreamer
    You don't sleep no more
    You don't even dream no more
    Dreamer, why don't you just dream again?

Believe in you
    You got something to prove
    You're a star
    Watch you shine bright, on your way to the limelight
    Finish line
    The sweat and tears
    You can channel all of your fears
    Open your eyes
    Your eyes
    And it will be all right...."

Chris Brown, "Dreamer"

Registered
    Jul 2013

Pater noster, qui es in caelis
    Sanctificetur nomen tuum,
    adveniat regnum tuum,
    fiat voluntas tua, sicut caelo, et in terra
    Panem nostrum cotidianum da nobis hodie
    et dimitte nobis debite nostra,
    sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris
    et ne inducas in tentationem,
    sed libera nos a malo.
    --Anonymous, "Wishful thinking"

Registered
    Sep 2009

As I've said before, translations of non-English postings are much appreciated.

"There are certain people you just keep coming back to
    She is right in front of you
    You begin to wonder, could you find a better one
    Compared to her, now she's in question

And all at once the crowd begins to sing
    Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same
    Maybe you want her, maybe you need her
    Maybe you started to compare to someone not there
    Looking for the right one, you line up the world to find
    Where no questions cross your mind
    But she won't keep on waiting for you without a doubt
    Much longer for you to sort it out

And all at once the crowd begins to sing
    Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same...."

The Fray, "All At Once"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ah, thanks.

"Well, there's a little boy waitin' at the counter of a corner shop
    He's been waitin' down there, waitin' half the day
    They never ever seem to have the time
    He gets pushed around, knocked to the ground
    He gets to his feet and he says
    'What about me, it isn't fair
    I've had enough now I want my share
    Can't you see? I want to live!
    But you just take more than you give...'

Well, there's a pretty girl servin' at the counter of a corner shop
    She's been waitin' back there, waitin' for her dream
    And dreams walk in and out, they never stop
    Well, she's not too proud to cry out loud
    She runs to the street and she screams
    'What about me, it isn't fair
    I've had enough now I want my share
    Can't you see? I want to live!'...."

Moving Pictures, "What About Me?"

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Boxing as we know it today tends to foster the brutish tendencies in man by provoking him to take pleasure in the sufferings of another."
    --"Prize-fighting," *The New Catholic Encyclopedia*

+ Reply to thread