+ Reply to thread
Page 12 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Post brief quotes from fiction/narrative/whatever

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Diplomacy without arms is like music without instruments." - Frederick the Great

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Reasonable persons see very that those [feminine] traits are just the tools for the management of men, and for the use of men for female designs." --Kant, *Anthropology From a Pragmatic Point of View*

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Anyone who loves the law or sausages should not see either made." - Otto von Bismarck

Registered
    Jul 2013

"The facts themselves are viewed as 'immediate emanations of the world spirit,' and that is why they alone are thought to possess the necessary dignity and profundity, that is why tragic art is supposed to subordinate itself to history! Ridiculous! To history!" --Nietzsche, notebook summer/autumn 1873

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Raise high the black flags, my children. No prisoners. No pity. I will shoot any man I see with pity in him." - Field Marshal Gebhard von Blucher (at Waterloo; attributed)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Lie there, poor wretch: seduced, you come
    To bonds of love that brook no treason.
    The man whom Helen has struck dumb
    Gropes long ere he regains his reason."
    --Goethe, *Faust II* II.1, tr.Ph.Wayne

Registered
    Sep 2009

"You have sworn loyalty to me. You have only one enemy and that is my enemy. In the present social confusion it may come about that I order you to shoot down your own relatives, brothers or parents, but even then you must follow my orders without a murmur." - Kaiser Wilhelm II (speech to Army recruits, 1891)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Fact holds out blankly, brutally and blindly, against that universal deliquescence of everything into logical relations which the Absolutist Logic demands, and it is the only thing that holds out." --Wm. James, "Absolutism and Empiricism" (1894)

Registered
    Sep 2009

“The foreign policy which the [Weimar Republic] government has pursued since the end of the war rejects the idea of revenge. Its purpose is rather the achievement of a mutual understanding.” - Wilhelm Marx (1927)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"It is difficult to tell a short-sighted man how to get somewhere. Because you cannot say to him: 'Look at that church tower ten miles away and go in that direction.'" --Wittgenstein, notebook fragment 1929

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Prosperity can come through peace alone. The German people are in favor of all possible means to make war impossible. I have seen three wars. A man who has seen three wars never will wish another war. He must be a friend of peace. But I am not a pacifist. All my impressions of war are so bad that I could be for it only under the sternest necessity — the necessity of fighting Bolshevism or of defending one's country." - Paul von Hindenburg (1929)

Registered
    Jul 2013

"A world of qualities without a man has arisen, of experiences without the person who experiences them, and it almost looks as though ideally private experience is a thing of the past, and that the friendly burden of personal responsibility is to dissolve into a system of formulas of possible meanings." --Musil, *Der Mann ohne Eigenschaften* (1930)

Registered
    Sep 2009

"In view of the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that He did not also limit his stupidity." - Konrad Adenauer

Registered
    Jul 2013

“I did not write the script of ‘Nick of Time,’ but I know the writer personally and professionally and I also know that he is a man of stature and good will who would never knowingly have caused as much personal hurt to you as he obviously did with a thoughtless, throw-away line which to him, meant nothing, but which to you must have been heart rending. Please accept my apologies in this and my assurance that it will never happen again on my show or any program in which I have a part. Too often we go along blithely unaware of the myriad meanings of language amongst people. Where to most, a certain line is general, unspecific and quite innocuous — to others it has a very special meaning and can be both damaging and offensive. I’ll be most careful of this in the future and I thank you so very much for calling it to my attention.” --Rod Serling, private correspondance, 1960, quoted in Grams, Jr., *The Twilight Zone: Unlocking the Door to a Television Classic*

Registered
    Sep 2009

(What was the line for which Serling apologized, and its context?)

"A compromise is the art of dividing a cake in such a way that everyone believes he has the biggest piece." - Ludwig Erhard

Registered
    Jul 2013

Episode "Nick of Time," I think Bill Shatner said "Stop treating me like a retarded child," and some guy wrote in to Rod Serl. saying that was kind of hurtful language. The response by Rod Serl is as above, according to the book cited.

It's the episode where Bill and his bride get hung up on some little fortune-telling machine at some diner. I forgot what happens, but it was all true, at the end!

"I hope that some people see some connection between the two topics in the title. If not, anyway, such connections will be developed in the course of these talks."
    --Saul Kripke, lecture I of *Naming and Necessity*, Jan 20 1970
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 23 Oct 2017 at 01:56 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

OK, thanks!

"This is the fate of a chancellor of the 'grand coalition': he has no grand coalition; he has a thousand little coalitions, with a thousand small disputes, day after day. " - Kurt Georg Kiesinger

Registered
    Jul 2013

"The majority of Americans now recognized that the Hamiltonians held a Tory ideology and were using the same methods and tactics as the British had used earlier. The friends of order had more in common with the enemies of the Revolution than with most Americans." --Donald Boudreaux, "The Fall and Rise of Puritanical Policy in America" THE JOURNAL OF LIBERTARIAN STUDIES 12:1 (SPRING 1996)
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 27 Oct 2017 at 08:21 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"In our modern world, mass hunger, economic stagnation, environmental catastrophe, political instability, and terrorism cannot be quarantined within national borders." - Willy Brandt

Registered
    Jul 2013

"If anybody doubts my loyalty to my country, I'll punch him in the nose, and I don't care how old he is."
    --Willy Wyler

Registered
    Sep 2009

"The snail's pace is the normal pace of any democracy." - Helmut Schmidt

Registered
    Jul 2013

"I’m taking back the reins from the classless, spineless, frightened children who dragged Screeching Weasel’s name through the mud with their dishonest, ass-covering press release; and all the cheap shot cowards who kicked me while I was down are getting a horseshoe straight up the ass!"
    - Ben Weasel
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 04 Nov 2017 at 02:56 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Nations with a common currency never went to war against each other. A common currency is more than the money you pay with." - Helmut Kohl

Registered
    Jul 2013

"The reaction a fangirl has to any mention or sighting of the object of her "affection". These reactions include shortness of breath, fainting, highpitched noises, shaking, fierce head shaking as if in the midst of a seizure, wet panties, endless blog posts, etc." --Urban Dictionary, def. "fangirling"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I am not the German Tony Blair, nor am I the German Bill Clinton. I am Gerhard Schroeder, Chancellor of Germany, responsible for Germany. I don't want to be a copy of anyone." - Gerhard Schroder

Registered
    Jul 2013

"We may perhaps think, looking at the grinning faces of idiots, that they do not really suffer; they do, though, only not in the same place as the more intelligent...Not all suffering need after all evoke the same facial expression. A nobler man will bear himself differently in affliction than I." --Wittgenstein, notebook fragment, 1946, tr. PWinch

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Nobody in Europe will be abandoned. Nobody in Europe will be excluded. Europe only succeeds if we work together." - Angela Merkel

Registered
    Jul 2013

"What did he talk about? Well, the man was capable of spending a whole hour on the question: Why did Beethoven not write a third movement to the Piano Sonata Opus 111?"
    --Mann, *Doktor Faustus*

Registered
    Sep 2009

"In Israel, in order to be a realist, you must believe in miracles." - David Ben-Gurion

Registered
    Jul 2013

"But, you know, that town girl was raped last week.
    --Darling, you can't rape a townie."
    --*Black Christmas* movie (dialogue between some girl and Margot Kidder)

Registered
    Sep 2009

"The State of Israel must, from time to time, prove clearly that it is strong, and able and willing to use force, in a devastating and highly effective way. If it does not prove this, it will be swallowed up, and perhaps wiped off the face of the Earth." - Moshe Sharett

Registered
    Jul 2013

"Life should not be arranged in the most comfortable and tolerable manner possible, but rather in the most rigorous manner possible.... The great instability of things makes it easier for us to learn this lesson. Nothing should be shown mercy, the truth must be stated frankly, no matter what the consequences." Nietzsche, notebook fragment, from first quarter of 1874

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Put three Zionists in a room and they will form four political parties." - Levi Eshkol

Registered
    Jul 2013

"The definiteness and directedness of the conscious mind are extremely important acquisitions which humanity has bought at a very heavy sacrifice, and which in turn have rendered humanity the highest service. Without them science, technology, and civilization would be impossible, for they all presuppose the reliable continuity and directedness of the conscious process. For the statesman, doctor, and engineer as well as for the simplest laborer, these qualities are absolutely indispensable. We may say in general that social worthlessness increases to the degree that these qualities are impaired by the unconscious." -- Jung, "The Transcendent Function" (1916)

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Not being beautiful was a true blessing. Not being beautiful forced me to develop my inner resources. The pretty girl has a handicap to overcome." - Golda Meir

Registered
    Nov 2017

"Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks." Heinlein, "Time Enough For Love"
    This Space For Rent

Registered
    Sep 2009

"You don't make peace with friends. You make it with very unsavory enemies... We must think differently, look at things in a different way. Peace requires a world of new concepts, new definitions." - Yitzhak Rabin

Registered
    Nov 2017

“Don’t let us forget that the causes of human actions are usually immeasurably more complex and varied than our subsequent explanations of them.”
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The Idiot
    This Space For Rent

Registered
    Jul 2013

"I philosophize now like an old woman, who continually is mislaying something and has to look for it; now her glasses, then her keys." -- Wittgenstein, On Certainty §532

Registered
    Nov 2017

“I have always lived violently, drunk hugely, eaten too much or not at all, slept around the clock or missed two nights of sleeping, worked too hard and too long in glory, or slobbed for a time in utter laziness. I've lifted, pulled, chopped, climbed, made love with joy and taken my hangovers as a consequence, not as a punishment.”
    ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
    This Space For Rent

Registered
    Jul 2013

"A bare arm was extended towards him with gracious nonchalance even before he had finished speaking. He pressed the hand respectfully to his lips, and made the mental remark that it was bony." --Conrad, "The Duel"

Registered
    Nov 2017

“Life is a gift that must be given back and joy should arise from its possession. It's too damn short and that's a fact. Hard to accept this earthly procession to final darkness is a journey done, circle completed, work of art sublime, a sweet melodic rhyme. A battle won.”
    ― Dean Koontz, "The Book Of Counted Sorrows"
    This Space For Rent

Registered
    Sep 2009

"When you have two alternatives, the first thing you have to do is to look for the third that you didn't think about, that doesn't exist." - Shimon Peres

Registered
    Jul 2013

"[I]t dawned upon me that the purloiner of the treasure need not necessarily be a confirmed rogue, that he could even be a man of character, an actor and possibly a victim in the changing scenes of a revolution." --Conrad, "Author's Note" to Nostromo

Registered
    Nov 2017

“Money lost -- little lost. Honour lost -- much lost. Pluck lost -- all lost.”
    ― E.W. Hornung, Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman
    This Space For Rent

Registered
    Jul 2013

"'Ever done any acting' [Edm Goulding] asked.
    'None to speak of.'
    'Good. I'm looking for a new face to play the drunken, dissolute brother of Chatterton. Will you make a test for me tomorrow?'"
    --David Niven, The Moon's A Balloon

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Peace is the beauty of life. It is sunshine. It is the smile of a child, the love of a mother, the joy of a father, the togetherness of a family. It is the advancement of man, the victory of a just cause, the triumph of truth." - Menachem Begin

Registered
    Jul 2013

"I cannot eat these eggs. They are of totally different sizes." -- one of the David Suchet-as-Hercule Poirot movies/TV shows, called "Peril at End House"

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I believe that the will of the people is resolved by a strong leadership. Even in a democratic society, events depend on a strong leadership with a strong power of persuasion, and not on the opinion of the masses." - Yitzhak Shamir

Registered
    Jul 2013

"General Barrios, in a shabby blue tunic and white pegtop trousers falling upon strange red boots, kept his head uncovered and stopped slightly, propping himself up with a thick stick. No! He had earned enough military glory to satisfy any man, he insisted to Mrs. Gould, trying at the same time to put an air of gallantry into his attitude." --Conrad, Nostromo, Part II, Chapt. Four.

+ Reply to thread