+ Reply to thread

Thread: Weird dreams thread

Registered
    Jul 2013

Default Weird dreams thread

Yeah, I had a fucked up dream two days ago.

I was in a recording studio, at a session being led by a Hammond organist, with me on piano, and at least a drummer and guitarist.

Very vivid, but not really a pants-down-at-the-prom thing.

Just running through some tunes the leader wanted to do, spur of the moment. We got warmed up by me just starting a kind of Les McCann boogaloo-type blues in F, pretty fast.

The leader got on it, took a nice solo, and then we kind of said, "well OK!" and started to get down to it.

I only remember "I'm Old Fashioned" (which I don't know and have never played) and a Jobim bossa nova which I also didn't know.

The leader said at each point, "just open up the real book, and let's try it." (A "Real Book" is just a spiral-bound thick book with sort-of-accurate chord changes and the melody to standards jazz people might play).

It happened the Real Books I had were exactly the ones I have at home right now -- tattered, with pages missing, and so forth.

Couldn't find a single one of these weirdo tunes the guy was calling, so had to just follow by ear (which isn't so bad, except you're always a little bit behind the beat trying to hear what comes next).

So apparently that inspired me to clean my kitchen today and put a few papers in place.

Very very realistic dream, no sense of terror, just kind of like "uhhhh, what the hell do you want me in the room for if you just want to call some random tunes I only vaguely remember from records?" And then plodding along, joyless, trying to humor this guy.

Piano sounded good though -- it was someone else's Nord Stage.

I blame the organist's shoddy bass playing for not being on top of the changes.
    "In certi casi la bellezza proprio sconfortante."

Registered
    Feb 2009

That's kinda cool. And it's interesting you can remember it like that. I know I've had a lot of strange dreams lately, but I can't remember them for very long after I get up.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quite a timely thread! I just woke up this morning, after a very vivid dream that I was enrolled at Princeton University (of all places). I had missed my first several classes, had done none of the reading, and was just about to walk across campus to a class I was not at all ready for. I was very relieved to wake up and realize none of it was true!

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Quite a timely thread! I just woke up this morning, after a very vivid dream that I was enrolled at Princeton University (of all places). I had missed my first several classes, had done none of the reading, and was just about to walk across campus to a class I was not at all ready for. I was very relieved to wake up and realize none of it was true!
    pants down prom night! I just saw *A Dangerous Method* again last night -- I hope your dream did not compromise your authority!

Thanks for sharing that -- in the sincere way, not the Valley-girl way.

I gotta know, what class? And why did you phrase "Princeton University (of all places)" so?

Registered
    Jul 2013

Here's something super-fucked up, from last night. A few hours after going to sleep (early to bed, blahblah) I dreamt I heard my father's voice, from somewhere in my pad, say "Johnny!" It was so realistic I woke up said "Who's there?" I'm going to go ahead and call it a dream, rather than an auditory hallucination, because I was, as far as I know, asleep.

Here's another really fucked up one, from last week. I was having a purely-verbal dream recounting the old saw that when someone's going to die, a Banshee knocks on your door. It was about five or so when I woke up from that one, just thinking, "huh, that was pretty weird. maybe that was a public service announcement about banshees!" Later that morning I check my phone, and found out my sister had a seizure and was spending the night in the hospital. I don't care how skeptical about the paranormal you are, it's still a pretty freaky chain of events. And no, I hadn't seen my sister in weeks. Must have had some spicy food the night before.

And no drugs were involved.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I'm going to try to piece together an extremely weird dream from a few days ago. Pretty sure since I had been reading about Anti-Catholicism in various countrries minutes before going to sleep, the content can be explained that way, but who knows. Dreams are weird. It's just such an involved little narrative, in which I was the protagonist and main actor, I don't know if I have the (i) memory (ii) chops (iii) coherence/will to describe accurately.

The short of it is that I was some character at some college trying to land a job, and it had been one I'd previously applied for. It was for some on-campus office-assistant-type thing for some religious studies program, I guess -- ISTM that it was a Catholic college, like Notre Dame or whatever. So I happened across (this was my second experience with trying to snag this work-study job) a new guy, Father Marshall. A kindly, humane professor put in an administrative role, like Dept. Chair or something, but we struck up a conversation,

eh, I'm getting bored, but after meeting the motley crew he'd assembled, it was clear my role was as office assistant during off-hours, and it just kept getting worse and worse, like the young man of color liked to mop/vacuum the floors before the cleaning lady came in at 0700.

Eh, I'm out of steam to relate the whole thing, to the extent I remember the dream, but it was pretty weird. I do recall being very unwilling to bother Father Marshall (he was full Irish-American, and Marshall might not have been the name on the door).

Fucking dreams -- I guess they tell you what your mind needs to hear.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    ...I gotta know, what class? And why did you phrase "Princeton University (of all places)" so?
    Sorry, I just saw your questions. Don't remember which class now, and I phrased it that way because there was no chance in hell I would ever get into Princeton.

No other recent weird dreams I can recall.

Registered
    Jul 2013

This is a new experience for me: two consecutive nights of similar-themed dreams. First, day before last, all I remember is an incredibly realistic image of the left side of my face, from the upper mandible all the way to the hairline, extending axially (? never remember the anatomy terms) out to the ear), complete necrosis of the fleshs, down to tissue which resembled rotten meat.

Probably the imagery came from a recent escapade my father had, taking a spill trying to get the mail, mangled his hand on the sidewalk/driveway. Surgery and all that, 3am ER visit. I wasn't there, but my mother told me a while later the process and said his hand looked like raw hamburger. Gross, but while I'm sure it hurt like a bitch, not that grave a problem with modern medicine, I guess. Haven't seen the wound, only just heard about it.

So there's the "meat" thing.

So last night, I had an extremely visual narrative, with dialogue -- a little movie. I don't remember who was there, some doctor(s) and just me, I think, and part internal monologue (relative to the dream narrative). I don't remember, but it was all about lung cancer I had.

I'm not particularly hypochondriac, just realistic in that, except for small things like making sure my BP stays (according to my expert guesstimation of "meh, feels about right") nice and low, conscious of healthy weight, and impeccable dental hygiene, I'm not exactly the cleanest monkey in the cage, with binge drinking, poor diet (all food made from scratch, but 's not very nutritious -- of the right amount to sustain brain function, and of the easiest to prepare kind), and smoking a pipe like a chimney, but I would be very surprised if I didn't have a significantly shorter lifespan than many.

Not very interesting, but somewhat unusual, since the vast majority of my dreams have been simultaneously reading/writing words or music, or some odd interpersonal situations.

Perhaps these are indications that I should, at least until the Mayweather-Macgregor "fight" (more like a fight from Mayweather, and some little sissy slaps from the MMA guy), take up abstaining from tobacco, while continuing to "train" in an extreme diet and working on more pushups (no reason to not meet the requirements of the Ranger School, within three weeks left).

Banshee knocking, my ass, maybe just some indication I need to try a little harder to not lose focus on all aspects of life. Some babes delivering the message would have been better -- "You closet-case, stop sucking pipe all the time." And then what happens next, I have perfect confidence, will be just fine.

Somehow I thought that would make for a more interesting anecdote than it is, but they were two weird dreams anyway.

+ Reply to thread