+ Reply to thread

Thread: Moving the baseball draft back a couple weeks

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

Default Moving the baseball draft back a couple weeks

I think it would be better for baseball's draft to be more like other sports, with it's draft in the off-season. In this case, the college off-season. Would moving the draft back three weeks really be detrimental to MLB? The only bad side I see is it's less likely a Strasburg type won't get a cup of coffee in September.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I'm not sure about your last sentence -- why wouldn't a promising player get a cup of coffee, at least for a little while?

In fact, despite the corporatization of farm teams, I don;t quite see the problem.

Spell it out for a moron like me -- you seem to know a lot, and I'm just a regular fan.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I agree, moving the draft to after the College World Series would be good for the colleges but I also like the idea of getting those lucky kids that get drafted into the professional systems as early as possible.

The current system drafts the kids and lets them report when their playoffs are over generally.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, that's the upside to the baseball system, gets rookies into rookie ball right away.

It is odd, though, so much energy devoted to the draft when the season is in full swing.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

Jizzel: if they moved it back, the "cup of coffee" would be "just a sip". I agree phenoms would come up regardless, just a smaller sample.

+ Reply to thread