+ Reply to thread

Thread: Realigned NBA

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

Red face Realigned NBA

If I realigned the NBA before this season, the 1st rd matchups would've been:

ATL/NO
    HOU/WASH
    TOR/MEM
    SA/DAL

GS/PHO
    CLEV/MILW
    POR/OKC
    CHIC/LAC
    What do you think of my new conferences?

Registered
    Jul 2013

None opinion, but if you'll permit the hijack, can you explain the appeal of basketball, exactly? I mean as a spectator sport. It is a beautiful thing to watch Dr. J get one in, but most times it seems like a mad scramble.

I really do want to know.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

I think that the NBA was looking for "the guy" post-MJ, and the immediate aftermath ruined it. I also think guys thought THEY were Jordan, and quality suffered.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, so, who is the guy who is going to be MJ? I know, Kobe, but still, you don't see posters of Kobe or even MJ like you used to about DrJ.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'd say LeBron James has a fair claim to the "next MJ" title.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2015...state-warriors

Registered
    Jul 2013

The next Michael Jackson?

Kidding -- I forgot about LeBron. Yes, I've heard that too around the water cooler.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I used to enjoy watching the NBA but my interest has greatly diminished with time. I think part of the problem with the NBA (& NHL) is the regular season has so little value as so few teams are eliminated before the playoffs. The other big problem is most games come down to the last 5 minutes on the clock but those are the slowest most interrupted minutes of the game and all the time outs and on purpose fouls drain away the tension and excitement. So we have a drawn out 5 minutes of 82 games to eliminate 14 of the 30 teams. Then they drag out the playoffs to the point where they stretch to summer.

As to realigning the teams, it doesn't matter much as the way the teams are distributed doesn't lend itself to an easy setup. Southwest and Northeast are pretty simple but after that there is no simple answer. I would try to consolidate according to time zones. No div should be in more than 2 time zones.

Assuming this is brought up due to the Kings moving to Seattle. I would try this:
    West
    Seattle
    Portland
    Golden State
    LA
    LA
    Phoenix

South West
    Utah
    Denver
    Oklahoma City
    Dallas
    San Antonio
    Houston

Central
    Minnesota
    Milwaukee
    Chicago
    Detroit
    Cleveland
    Indiana

South East
    New Orleans
    Memphis
    Atlanta
    Charlotte
    Orlando
    Miami

North East
    Boston
    Toronto
    NY
    Brooklyn
    Philly
    DC

I'm sure 5 divisions seems odd but it seems to work better than 6 divisions. The 5 division winners get the top 5 seeds and then the next 11 best teams by record fill in the playoff spots.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

The Kings are getting a new arena AFAIK, and the weakness of the East is why I brought up realignment. I HATE odd numbered divisions, genrrally, and within conferences. I also believe divisions have meaning.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Weakness is usually cyclical though. I would never worry about realignment for those reasons. Baseball was the only sport where there was a strong imbalance between areas and that has been getting better over recently.

The odd divisions is not ideal but ideal would probably be either 4 or 8 divisions and if 8 then add 2 more teams.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

Agree completely!! Best way to go: Move Memphis to the East, add 2 teams west of the Mississippi.

+ Reply to thread