+ Reply to thread

Thread: Using sports-reference sites

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

Cool Using sports-reference sites

If you wanted to set parameters for a search on their sites, how would you go about that?

Registered
    Jul 2013

I'm not a sports-bettor, so I wouldn't know, but wouldn't it depend on which site?

What's your angle, man?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

"Angle"? :eye roll: noticed a pitcher had 245 wins, STILL had losing record. He was from the dead ball era. Wanted to see who's the winglets live ball losing pitcher.

Registered
    Jul 2013

All right. So if you're not a hard-core gambler, you're just a regular fan who takes it to the next level. A super-fan, if you will. Nothing wrong with that -- I like sports too. Just far too lazy.

I'll bet you anything it depends on the site. And if you don't have javascript enabled in your browser, my bet is you will basically not be able to find any data you want.

Why not just google the stats you want and click the first site you find? That's what I'd do, but, then, lazy. But it usually works.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

I'm probably even lazier!!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

Using Google, it's probably Bob Friend, with 197-230 record.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

According to ESPN, it's Bobo Newsome. HOWEVER, he missed four years at the end, came back, and was INSANELY good! Totally out of step with the rest of his career.

Registered
    Jul 2013

OK. Well, I can't say I ever saw any of Bob Friend's games, but .... how do you clock that he had 245 wins from those stats?

I don't know a lot about sabremetrics, but I know what a "win" for a pitcher is, and so forth.

I guess I'll have to take your word for it.

At least we both can agree that Charlie Hustle should be in the hall of fame a hundred times over, for lifetime hits.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Come clean -- you MUST have some money on this. What other sane reason is there to gather this data?

No offense -- I argue all the time with musicians about which jazz Hammond organist had the better footwork, but still, this is pretty detailed shit.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

No $$ at stake. Friend had 195 wins.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I'm going with Dizzy Dean.

No idea why, I just like him. Headlines say: "Dizzy Beaned by a ball -- nothing found!"

Registered
    Jul 2013

But anyway from your lack of response to my Pete Rose post, I can only assume you're a pitching-fetishist.

Nothing wrong with that -- in fact, I would agree, depending on what day of the week it is, that it is indeed pitchers who win or lose a game.

So now the most important question of all!!!!!!!!!!!

DH or no?

Need answer fast!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

Didn't see your Rose comment. He definitely belongs, IMO.

Registered
    Jul 2013

See????

I like this guy.

erictv, I hope you stick around -- you seem chill and you have good taste in ballplayers.

So, maybe this is an odd hijack, but what's your deal, anyway? Just trying to get away from something, trying something new? I know you're not going fishing because you've given some stuff and got some stuff.

I feature this as an outlaw land, out here, and first rule is never ask why somebody lands in Casablanca, but second rule is, gotta know!

+ Reply to thread