+ Reply to thread

Thread: Joke explanation needed

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

Default Joke explanation needed

Joke: A Unitarian Universalist is just a Quaker with A.D.D. This Catholic doesn't quite get it.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Actually, that's a good question.

I have some theories, but they get into theology in a pretty twisted way. But, sure, a Quaker ....

That doesn't work at all!

Well. So, Quakers have a really simple philosophy, and Unita...

No.

The correct explanation is that the joke just isn't funny, eta nor can it be explained.

I like Catholic jokes better -- they're easier to understand (I'm a fellow trinitarian -- not making fun of you at all).

eta OK, I think it's just that UUs are supposedly single-minded, in humorous contrast to Quakers, who are notoriously chaste.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 26 May 2015 at 01:37 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I think it's suggesting that UUs are flighty and don't have the serious commitment to their faith that Quakers do. I'm neither a UU nor a Quaker, but I don't think it's all that funny.

How about this one:

A man walks into a Belfast bar late one night. A big guy comes up to him and menacingly asks, "Are you a Protestant, or a Catholic?" The man replies, "Neither, actually. I'm Jewish."

The big guy is taken aback for a moment but then asks, "Are you a a Protestant Jew, or a Catholic Jew?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

EH: that explanation makes perfect sense. And no Jizzel, calling me a "Trinitarian" didn't offend me in the least.
    Last edited by Erictelevision; 26 May 2015 at 03:14 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, it shouldn't offend you. i was just trying to be nice and say I'm a Catholic too (not kidding),

Your nose is red from kissing the pope's asshole all day.

I agree, EH probably has the joke figured out. You should admit, it's not a very funny joke, though.

eta TNP has ordered an "Irish Car Bomb" at a bar before -- sorry, but it's true! There exists such a thing
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 26 May 2015 at 04:02 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

I'm A not especially observant Catholic. And yeah, explaining it ruins it.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

Why did the UU cross the road? (I understand this joke)

Registered
    Jul 2013

What? I have no idea. I don't know any unitarians IRL, except from maybe in HS.

eta welcome to the board -- you may have guessed you will probably get your share of insult comedy flung your way. well, it's not my board, but the kids like it. and there are awesome people here -- very low-key.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 26 May 2015 at 09:40 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Some other favorite religious jokes:

Q: How many Episcopalians does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
    A: I'll have you know my grandfather donated that lightbulb!

Lutherans oppose premarital sex because it might lead to dancing.

A good Baptist won't go to the liquor store. A really good Baptist will pretend not to recognize you when he sees you in the liquor store.

A Catholic priest kept trying to get his rabbi friend to try pork. "It's really good, Herschel. You should try some!" The rabbi responded, "I will, Patrick - at your wedding."

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    A Catholic priest kept trying to get his rabbi friend to try pork. "It's really good, Herschel. You should try some!" The rabbi responded, "I will, Patrick - at your wedding."
    That's pretty funny -- haven't heard that one.

Two Irishmen stranded on an island for years spot a mermaid. One says, "Which one goes first?" The other says, "I don't know, can we eat it?"

eta I need a good Jewish joke for Logic Lady -- I'm pretty sure she's a Jewess grad student, and also pretty sure tossing a kangaroo scrotum novelty gift as she runs away isn't going to be a real hit.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 26 May 2015 at 10:44 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

Answer: to help the chicken in finding its own path.

+ Reply to thread