+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why is Vegas the de facto home of boxing?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

Default Why is Vegas the de facto home of boxing?

Back in the day, it moved around quite a bit, though Yankee Stadium was a popular venue. Do you think we'll ever get back to that, or has that shipped sailed?

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Madison Square Gardens had a fairly big fight recently.

Take a look at a boxing schedule and you'll see boxing is still spread around pretty good but yes Vegas has ascendancy now.

I think it comes down to Gamblers love Vegas and love betting on Boxing so it is a great fit.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It's doing so badly in recent years overall, and this being the Internet Age and all, I don't know that it's really possible to name a "home of boxing" anymore, de factor or otherwise. Big fights were and are in Vegas and NYC because that's where the money is.

An interesting recent commentary: http://www.npr.org/2015/04/29/402816...-men-big-money

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

I don't gamble, so I forgot that aspect, and of course you're correct, "The most famous arena in the world", got that name somehow.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

End of May, fight in my backyard. (Boston)

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Boxing also cannot get out of its own way. Only diehard boxing fans will pay for the big fights as they are all pay-per-view so the sport keeps shrinking. Now recently NBC has added boxing back in to its schedule so maybe things can turn around as MMA seems to have already peeked to my eye in popularity.

My kids can't even believe boxing use to be the big event Olympic Sport. It has never been true in their lifetime and probably stopped being true sometime in the 1980s.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

Early 90s with De la Hoya, maybe?

Registered
    Feb 2009

I like the fights, baseball and the horse racing . Those were probably the biggest sports (leaving out hockey in Canada) when I was a kid, and I cling to them in their decline.

+ Reply to thread