+ Reply to thread

Thread: How much $$ would it take to get teams to, and back to, Seattle

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

Default How much $$ would it take to get teams to, and back to, Seattle

The Coyotes are worth $225M, and the Raptors are worth $920M. So that's 1.15B. How much would it cost to make Key Arena NBA worthy/replace, and put in NHL legal ice surface?

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

First question is whether any NBA or NHL teams are not doing well financially and at a point in their lease agreement where they can move.

Second part is a modern dual use arena will probably cost around $500 million. There will need to be infrastructure improvements in most cases and lots of luxury suites to attract a team from each league.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

Thought about getting out of leases too late. . So about $2B could be a reasonable guesstimate?

Registered
    Sep 2009

Could be. Hmmm. Let me check under the cushions of my couch; maybe I can help you out.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm also gonna assume that an NHL franchise will require some financial grease for Vancouver, to cover cutting into the Canucks' market-- there probably will be a franchise in Las Vegas before Seattle.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Call me a giant cynic, but in addition for the compelling nuts-and-bolts financial reasons, Seattle or Idaho or Portland just aren't those kinds of towns, culturally. Having a big team just isn't what's done.

Yes I know all about Ms, but let's be real they never had anything, except some lucky breaks with talent.

Registered
    Jul 2013

OK i forgot about the blazers, but that was a ripcity one-time thing. Also, not my sport to watch (unless live, then it's like high ballet). But for a frigid corner of the world, there just is NOT a hockey culture, nor, despite my love for the Mariners, a baseball one. They get on the ball as far as college football, but who watches that for fun?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

Jizzelbin: pro sports have thrived there for 35 years!! I get that you're evidently not a sports fan, but that doesn't mean sports are irrelevant there. And I doubt Vancouver is getting a payoff to allow a team in Seattle.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sorry to harsh your mellow but places like Seattle, Boise, or Portland just aren't sports towns. PDX got lucky with Blazers, and so did Seattle with the Mariners, but aside from those flukes College football has been the only lasting thing. Last I checked the only people who watch college sports are crazy gamblers or just do it as a hobby.

Registered
    Jul 2013

And at no point in the history of time has there been ANY hockey or US football presence in the PNW. And while I may not be the biggest "sportsfan", I still know what happens in my neighborhood.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

Uh, the reigning NFC champs play in Seattle, and the NBA was there for almost 40 years.

+ Reply to thread