+ Reply to thread

Thread: What's on your "things to buy" list?

Registered
    Jul 2013

Default What's on your "things to buy" list?

Yeah, so I was musing on another thread
    ETA bunch of fucking nerds. Question: who is the bigger nerd? Saxophonist, guitarist, keyboardist, FOH sound guy? At least guitarists actually play something made by people. I kind of regret selling my 1974 Gibson SG special (even with a professionally-repaired neck, I got $700 for it, which I needed at the time), but I'm thinking of putting a guitar (probably an Epi semi-hollow body) on my list of things to buy when my ship comes in, just to get back into it. I used to have a yen for putting a little trap drums in my place, but I figure now I don't have much interest (piano and organ is basically percussion instrument, and Prokofiev is kicking my ass, so I don't need to play drums).
    And it got me thinking -- I actually do have a list of "stuff" I plan to buy soon.

I don't have my list with me, but it includes:

(a) tactical flashlight at least as bright as a car's high-beams
    (b) collapsible baton
    (c) navy two-button suit
    (d) red tie
    (e) brown leather belt
    (f) re-tailor an (i) older suit and (ii) have the lining replaced on an older sportcoat
    (g) Anvil case for my Hammond organ
    (h) new cartridge for my turntable
    (i) another external hard-drive, for redundant backup
    (j) a really big flash drive
    (k) charcoal flannel trousers
    (l) navy blazer
    (m) noise-cancelling wireless headphones of robust quality
    (n) another tobacco pipe
    (o) have my zippos fixed (it's really more a chore to go to the post office and send them back to Bradford, Pennsylvania)
    (p) nylon liner socks
    (q) a can of Deoxit
    (r) a case of about 100 bic disposable lighters
    (s) wooden matches
    (t) a really nice end-grained (you know what I mean) cutting board
    (u) a shitload of powdered cheese
    (v) a shitload of that coffee creamer with all the shit in it
    (w) a shitload of ground pork
    (x) a shitload of salt
    (y) a shitload of black peppercorns
    (z) more garlic powder
    (aa) many gallons of canola oil
    (bb) a shitload more of manila folders
    (cc) a shitload of moleskine pocket notebooks
    (dd) a bluetooth webcam
    (ee) a Remington 870 shotgun, and a bunch of cartridges
    (ff) a black Lincoln towncar, with tinted windows, and a driver on call

eh, etc. I like to plan ahead, and I dislike shopping for things, so I figure I just put stuff on a list and vaguely prioritize things. It's like budgeting for dummies bachelors.

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

Sharpening stone for my sickle
    E-bow
    Biltong
    Lots of external storage
    Strings for the classical axe
    Flannelette sheets for the impending winter
    Cottage cheese
    3/4 pants
    Mosquito coils
    New laptop
    Antihistamines
    Sea salt
    Lemons
    Plant seeds (legal ones)
    Strings for ukulele to put it in mandolin tuning

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, an e-bow sounds cool. I have only seen pictures from advertisements in guitar magazines when I was a kid. You'd probably dig it the most.

I didn't know you played nylon-string legit guitar. You probably told me, but obviously I forgot. Closest I can get is copying Chick on the Rhodes on his tune "Spain" (it's from the concierto de Aranjuez or whatever it is).

I gotta ask. WTF is:

"3/4 pants"
    "mosquito coil"
    "biltong" (i know, it's probably something ordinary but put in weird ozzie language)

And, what exactly, is "flannelette"? I know what flannel sheets are, and I've used them in the past, but is there a difference?

And, what about the uke? AFAIK, mandies use double-strings, and I can't remember how they're tuned, but it's pretty close to a uke ("my dog has fleas!") isn't it?

ETA I laughed at the sickle part. I have actually used a sickle (a small one) to trim an entire front lawn when I was sharing a rented house in Missoula, because we were a bunch of acid-tripping fools and it seemed like the only way to get the job done. My buddy and I joked that "this is very Russian peasant!"
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 18 Apr 2015 at 04:34 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2010

I use the nylon guitar for my alternate tuning, and sometimes to record drop Down riffs coz it's easier to throw a ton of distortion on it during editing.

OK:

3/4 pants = also called Bermuda pants. Too long to be shorts, too short to be trousers. Ideal for this climate.
    Mosquito coil = a coil of citronella you burn to repel mozzies.
    Biltong - South African jerky-type stuff, but way better than jerky.
    AFAIK flannelette is a thicker version of flannel. I think one is natural, the other synthetic. But flannelette sheets in winter are so toasty.
    Mandolin is tuned to violin tuning (GDAE) in double courses. I love the tuning but I don't like the shrill sound of it. So I wanna tune a uke that way. I'll need to buy strings separately so they don't snap or buzz. Pain in the neck but it'll be worth it.

Haha your neighbours were probably calling Interpol, watching you do that. I only use a sickle to lop tall grass, if I don't have a weedeater.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nah, Missoula Montana is a place full of hippies. Nobody called anybody.

Hey, biltong sounds good. What's the beast? African, you say, so it's probably like gazelle-meat or some weird shit. Hey, flesh is food.

Word, OK -- yeah, so flanelette is what I think of in context of sheets: viz., just kind of a comfy material, with some nap to it.

Does citronella actually work? I got bit to shit by, I suspect, one hungry mosquito yesterday. That bitch was HUGE -- about an inch long. Still have a lump on my forehead. Remind me to never ever go where there are big-assed mosquitos.

What do you mean by "shrill"? I love bluegrass music, despite me being, apparently, an African-American, and I know Bill Monroe's music very well (he played mandolin) -- traditionally, it's used as a rhythmic instrument. But my uncle has a mandolin and occasionally, if I get drunk enough to visit him, and drunk enough to feel like it, I ask to plink around on it. Sounds fine to me -- and this is about the cheapest instrument made, he has -- so what EXACTLY are you doing to a mandie to make it sound harsh? It's almost impossible to get a bad sound out of it, IME.

Registered
    Mar 2010

AFAIK biltong is beef (ie bovine) unless otherwise stated. It's good stuff.

If citronella didn't work, I'd be dying from various mosquito transported viruses and ripping my own skin off. That inch long one sounds like a Scotch grey. We have those here. They're fucking awful. They leave big lumpy welts that you can't not scratch. So yeah, try citronella.

I can play mandolin ok but to me the timbre is too shrill. Especially if the strings aren't fresh. I think bluegrass mandolin is a bit like Scottish bagpipes : designed to be enjoyed from afar.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by spitz View post
    AFAIK biltong is beef (ie bovine) unless otherwise stated. It's good stuff.

If citronella didn't work, I'd be dying from various mosquito transported viruses and ripping my own skin off. That inch long one sounds like a Scotch grey. We have those here. They're fucking awful. They leave big lumpy welts that you can't not scratch. So yeah, try citronella.

I can play mandolin ok but to me the timbre is too shrill. Especially if the strings aren't fresh. I think bluegrass mandolin is a bit like Scottish bagpipes : designed to be enjoyed from afar.
    Well, I was going to be concise and snip stuff to reply to, but the whole thing is kind of interesting, what you wrote/

So, beef jerky. OK, I know what that is, and I approve.

Yeah. That's *exactly* what that mother-motherfucker left on me -- a giant lump on my fucking forehead. I like being outdoors, and in wild places, backcountry, but I've never (a) seen anything like it (b) had the same reaction to a little mosquito bite. Fucking A, it's not even a "bite," it's more like a wound. Probably the fuckers migrated, probably on some yuppie piece of shit dog from fucking Columbia or on a crate of bananas.

I still don't understand the mandolin==shrill thing. Either it's not tuned correctly or the resonant body is shaped out of breadfruit or some weird gourd. 2x strings, good resonance, that sounds good to me. Do you use a digital tuner? I know a lot of musicians who think their ears are great to tune by harmonics, but, not to be too much of a dick, unless your mandolin is a complete piece of shit, maybe you should just eat the gun and double-check that your tuning is spot-on?

Registered
    Mar 2010

You can get extra strong citronella for outdoors, and a non toxic one for indoors. We just had rain so the mozzies are out in force. And I like the smell of citronella.

I tune the mandolin (mine's actually a mandola) correctly, by ear and with a tuner, and it sounds good, just shrill in a way guitar, ukulele etc isn't. I just want that really gentle timbre of nylon strings. Just a different vibe, is all.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not much at the moment:

Peppermints
    large rubber bands
    large paper clips
    stamps
    milk
    orange juice
    dark gray socks
    DVD of the Irish drama Calvary for our church

Registered
    Jul 2013

STAMPS??????!!!!!!!!

I still have a bunch in my spot-for-office-supplies-in-my-office-man-cave, and since I have no idea what the current first-class letter costs, I just grab a few random stamps and stick them on an envelope.

OJ would be good. One of those things like milk and eggs that I never bother to pick up at the grocery store, but good to have. Nothing quenches thirst or cures an unfortunate hangover better than a whole bunch of fruit juice.

Oh shit, yes, I should stock up on socks too. I get these ones at Costco, and they're great prima facie, but after a few months they get holes in the heels, so they end up going in the "rag" pile above my fridge, for cleaning up nasty spills.

Also, this is literally on my list: a bunch of those big, thick rubber bands. I use them for bundling manilla folders and stuff, and if you get the Office Depot "grab bag" assortment of rubber bands, there are always not enough of the big kind in there. I do indeed have on my list to get a big bag of just those big ones.

Paper clips, meh, I have enough and they don't play well with others when they get all tangled up.

What do u mean "peppermints"? Like the plant, or like chewing gum or breathmints?

Registered
    Mar 2010

Manila folders are frustrating. I get those Manila box things, then you can label the tabs and keep it all together in one place. And one single folder to take around the place. In fact I'm about due to buy another folder box thing.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I know. "Hanging file folders" they're called, if that's the same thing. [ETA oh, ur talking about boxes that can have hanging files in them -- well, same thing, I guess]/

But I need a shitload of manila folders, despite having ordered and received like fifty or sixty a few months ago, because I like to have every hard-copy of stuff in one place.

Especially for music scores -- you'd think having one "Herbie" and one "Monk" folder would be enough, but paper is bulky, and so I need to subdivide. Not to mention classical scores. Beethoven Op.27n1 deserves its own folder, and so forth.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 18 Apr 2015 at 08:41 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2010

Yeah it's frightening how much paper I have stored just with music stuff. Other people's. Music, stuff I've written, stuff I'm writing... Then there's manuals, certificates, references, keepsakes etc etc etc. If I don't store it all carefully my home looks like downtown Grozny.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. I have an aversion to thing being "out of sight" in my own place, which is why I never close doors or very rarely cosset (sp?) things in cupboards, but after having accumulated so many "open" file cabinets, I kind of regret having refused ownership of some proper file cabinets a few months ago.

Mainly because it's easy to put a handtruck under one aluminum file cabinet and move it someplace, if needed -- now, my stuff is organized, but it would be not as easy to move.

So, yes. Music. "Kitten on the Keys" gets its own folder. "Beethoven Op. 111/2" gets its own folder. "Richard Tee Nichion" gets its own folder. "van Benthem. Modal Logic" gets two folders.....it gets to be a lot of papers.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    Closest I can get is copying Chick on the Rhodes on his tune "Spain" (it's from the concierto de Aranjuez or whatever it is).
    fuck that sounds like dogshit. I shouldn't browse utube while trying to get straight in the morning.

FWIW, I have been obsessed with the c-minor blues Chick did, off the album -- I still like his opening improvised statement. That helps me deal with quartal pentatonic improv.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I'm not going to buy a collapsible baton -- mainly because I'd have to carry it unconcealed to avoid committing a crime, and I don't wear Batman toolbelts.

INSTEAD, a big, long umbrella with a straight (not ushaped) metal handle, that I can carry in the summer, ostensibly as a sunshade (which would actually be quite useful for those times when one has to walk long periods in the direct sunlight to get to the forests.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally posted by Jizzelbin View post
    STAMPS??????!!!!!!!!

I still have a bunch in my spot-for-office-supplies-in-my-office-man-cave, and since I have no idea what the current first-class letter costs, I just grab a few random stamps and stick them on an envelope....

What do u mean "peppermints"? Like the plant, or like chewing gum or breathmints?
    Yes, I send a lot of cards and letters, and always like to have a variety of stamps on hand. On my shelf right now:

http://about.usps.com/news/national-...s/pr13_069.png
    http://16sparrows.typepad.com/.a/6a0...1ebe6cd970c-pi
    http://about.usps.com/news/national-...s/pr13_075.jpg

As for peppermints, they're candy, like this: http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/peppe...d-34641486.jpg

Registered
    Jul 2013

//-************************************************** ***********
    So, I decided if I'm going to be damned to piss away my money because some shit-ass wants to visit and presumably wants to go out on the town, wasting my money on beer and restaurants. i'm going to take care of things *I* want to buy, so if he gets here and wants a drinking buddy, he can either go it alone or take *ME* out.

I'd be extremely pissed if I pissed away the few bucks I have in the account without taking care of things *I* want -- I told him from the get-go, I'm perpetually broke, so unless you want to look at me sitting at my desk jerking off and eating cold rice, that's his problem.

Here's some highlights:

Not yet shipped
    Shipping estimate: Monday, June 22, 2015 - Tuesday, June 23, 2015
    Track package
    UltraFire® SK98 Adjustable Focus Zoom UltraFire CREE XML-T6 LED 1200LM 18650 Battery Waterproof Flashlight Torch 3-Modes
    Sold by: E-Goal
    $6.98
    Shipping estimate: Monday, June 22, 2015 - Tuesday, June 23, 2015
    Track package
    Phoenix Self Defense Shrinkable 18" Length All Black with Hard Foam Handle-Spring Steel Stick
    Sold by: PHOENIX OUTDOOR

SanDisk Cruzer CZ36 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive, Frustration-Free Packaging- SDCZ36-032G-AFFP
    Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
    $12.99

Perry Ellis Men's Solid 2 Button Side Vent Modern Fit Suit with Flat Front Pant, Navy, 40 Long
    $149.99
    Buy it Again
    Request cancellation

U.S. Polo Assn. Sport Men's US8208EXL Analog-Digital Dial Extra Long Silver-Tone and Gun Metal Watch
    $21.99
    Buy it Again

Kenneth Cole REACTION Men's Reversible Feather Edge Belt, Black/Brown, 38
    $22.56
    Buy it Again
    Cancel items
    View or edit order
    Archive order
    Order placed
    June 20, 2015
    Total
    $88.50

RainStoppers 68-Inch Oversize Windproof Golf Umbrella (Solid Black)
    $16.80
    Buy it Again

Toshiba 1TB Canvio Basics USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - HDTB210XK3BA(Black)
    $54.99

W300 Grey Super soft Wool Trooper Trapper Pilot Bomber Hat with Soft Faux Fur for Womens and Mens one size fits up to large head in Charcoal Grey
    Sold by: 7headz
    $7.95
    Buy it Again

C&E VGA-VGA Standard 15-Pin VGA Male to VGA Male Cable 10 FT
    $8.76
    Buy it Again

//-********************
    yeah, pretty fucking exciting, but I'm not a rich millionaire and I need things like a new belt, an OK suit, and so forth.

Registered
    Jul 2013

And no, asshole, I wear a 36 pants -- I heard you're supposed to buy belts a little larger.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I will say I'm pleased I remembered to buy an actual watch -- it was too expensive, and wasn't the style I wanted (namely, ALL stainless steel, including the band and the clasp), and also a big umbrella -- I shall intimidate drivers who encroach with it!

I am sick of using my phone as a watch -- there's always some mongo text blocking my view of the "clock," or something. Old school, man, that's where it's at.

Also, the expandible baton comes with a belt-mountable carrying-case, so I won't be afoul of the law by carrying it concealed.

Also, the flashlight should be bright enough to cause some jackass cager to plow into a cow-patch, should they be foolish enough to fuck with me.

And I need the hat to sleep in -- keep light off me and cover up my ears.

The rest is just regular groceries.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 20 Jun 2015 at 10:09 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, and 32GB is not exactly the "big-ass" flash drive I was thinking about, but it was pretty cheap, and it's plenty for shuffling files around.

The reviews on the Toshiba 1TB external spinny-drive are atrocious! Well, that's the only thing this is for -- a backup for the backup for the backup. Good enough, I guess.

Registered
    Jul 2013

OMFG I'm going to be luck fucking Batman carrying my expandable baton, my tactical flashlight on my belt, with an umbrella/old-lady-weapon in my hand.

I hate comic books.

This sucks.

Registered
    Jul 2013

that's supposed to be "like fucking Batman."

Anyway, I don't care, Batman sucks ass.

The flash drive was a foolish purchase -- I guess I have 5 already. I just wanted a fresh one, for backing up eduVideos and stuff, just for that purpose. he others I'm always having to reformat to gel with WinOS, and the biggest is only 16 GB

Don't call me impecunious! You're not my IT supervisor!
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 21 Jun 2015 at 04:35 PM.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I actually have a "things to buy list." I make just one or two trips to the US a year.

1) Old Bay Seasoning
    2) Darn Tough Vermont socks (wonderful all-wool things)
    3) Box of Uniball 207 pens, in red if possible
    4) Some of those pocketed polo shirts from Duluth Trading
    Just assume that everything I say is sarcastic.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hey Paul, good to see you around.

Have to ask: what do you add the Old Bay Seasoning to in Qatar?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

When the dinning room serves fish, I like it to taste like home.
    Just assume that everything I say is sarcastic.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by Paul in Qatar View post
    When the dinning room serves fish, I like it to taste like home.
    I call bulshit on that. What, you get a lot of cod and lobster in Qatar? I believe you about socks, shirts, and pens, but not about Old Bay. And, anyway, aren't Polo shirts de rigueur out east anyway?

+ Reply to thread