+ Reply to thread

Thread: Yeah whatever music and suff youtube and whatever

Registered
    Jul 2013

Default Yeah whatever music and suff youtube and whatever

so this guy is OK I guess, but he illustrates my point that don't even bother modulating fancy through the fourths/fifths -- just go up by half-steps.

My cite? this video, and James Brown's Live at the Apollo album.

THAT, my friends, is how you learn to play in all keys, as a keyboard player.

Fucking monkeys reading books, fuck that, just play it up.

Mi parolas esperanton malbone Trojan Man's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2010

The half-step modulation is a lazy, tacky Eurovision way of doing it. When I change keys within a song, I don't repeat a chord sequence in the modulated key. I go modal, try to add a bit of artistry to it. I wrote a song last year, that starts in Am, changes to F major (modally), then it slips into D major, resolves back to F major. Ends on F major 7 to let you decide which key it's resolving to.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, I like the lack of subtlty (no, even though I have some spelling-bee awards from when I was a young kid, I can't do them all) -- it just is good because it's brute and no one can mistake it.

Registered
    Mar 2010

Yeah, but going the brute way means you need to do it well. That's why it's so popular just to half-step it.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sorry, her majesty's subject, to do it the brute way means you have to have the balls to say: "fuck it, I'm just going up a half-step [semitone for you blokes], and if you don't like it you got a hole in your soul!"

It's about attitude. It's nice to modulate through fourths and make everything nice and seamless, but I like the brute force. At any rate, it's what comes across to the audience, which is ultimately what entertainment is about.

Registered
    Mar 2010

Yes. Like that disturbing trick your mum can do when she's very drunk.

Registered
    Jul 2013

That was a family secret.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally posted by spitz View post
    starts in Am, changes to F major (modally), then it slips into D major, resolves back to F major. Ends on F major 7 to let you decide which key it's resolving to.
    Oh. You're talking about "modal interchange" (is the term I remember, I doubt it's a standard term, just what I remember). I remember hearing about that a long time ago. But that's really a compositional thing, isn't it?

I'm just talking about improvised music. I don't know if does it here, but I've heard live tapes of this tune where he just keeps modulating through the keys. Oh here it comes -- yes, he does do the "shouting" thing of doing the half-step "lift him up" towards the end. Check it out.

It's just a part of the jazz-blues-gospel improvised music continuum. Yeah, it's not a sophisticated technique, but it is a legitimate sound with a long history.

To show I'm not an asshole, I will also point to Mac Rebennack's "Boxcar Boogie" -- kind of a neat piano boogie. Starts in G, then ->C->F->Bb->Eb then back into G. I learned that one as a teenager, but when I feel like rocking out on piano, I usually just go through all keys stepwise, because I like it. Makes me feel like I accomplished something!

Registered
    Jul 2013

And for entertainment value, I just saw the worst thread ever about keyboards.

What in the fuck is wrong with keyboardists? I see exactly one sensible post, and a bunch of morons talking about how rich and ownerly and cool their live rigs look.

Yes, it's for real. I fucking hate musicians, because they are morons.

ETA bunch of fucking nerds. Question: who is the bigger nerd? Saxophonist, guitarist, keyboardist, FOH sound guy? At least guitarists actually play something made by people. I kind of regret selling my 1974 Gibson SG special (even with a professionally-repaired neck, I got $700 for it, which I needed at the time), but I'm thinking of putting a guitar (probably an Epi semi-hollow body) on my list of things to buy when my ship comes in, just to get back into it. I used to have a yen for putting a little trap drums in my place, but I figure now I don't have much interest (piano and organ is basically percussion instrument, and Prokofiev is kicking my ass, so I don't need to play drums).
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 18 Apr 2015 at 03:02 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2010

Well improvisation is different and of course you couldn't bounce around the place tonally too much. My level of improv is getting a tried and true 4 chord sequence and mucking about with that. I did a bit of improv in a folk band I played in, but I'm more likely to plan it out first.

So what kinda stuff did you do on guitar? Rhythm or lead? I imagine you had the smallest amount of overdrive/distortion/whatever and turned the presence right up...

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, well, in high school, after all my training in piano and generally just loving all aspects of kicking ass at piano, I just explored the guitar, and I tried to play everything Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton did.

Wah pedal, pulling the gain up on a solid state practice amp, copying Clapton's copy of Freddie King's "Hideaway" (great tune -- I still play that sometimes on piano....I think I do it in E, just to keep reminding myself that sharp keys are not the enemy!), experimenting with different picks, trying out fingerstyle (a la Clapton, "come down off your throne, and leave your body alone" -- that tune from the Blind Faith album). Trying some slide, not getting very good at it.

Registered
    Mar 2010

Slide is hard, yeah. I find slide easier if I lay the guitar on my lap. I've ordered an e-bow so that'll be fun.

Registered
    Jul 2013

The same buddy who made the sickle comment actually bought a Fender lap steel from a pawn shop, maybe during that same visit. It was wicked awesome -- it came with a fucked up "slide" that was just a dick-shaped solid piece of metal. (ETA it was one of those that had sort of a tripod stand, and was just the strings and kind of a trapezoid shape -- just strings and pickups [I can't remember how many pickups, but I'm sure they were the usual Fender "lipstick" kind -- probably two of them])

So, no different than playing a regular guitar lap-style, but it was kind of a neat instrument.

I have mixed thoughts about listening to traditional blues-rock-style slide -- I will never not love listening to Duane or some of the great Delta masters, and especially Robert Randolph's band (sanctified steel, they call it), but somehow as I've evolved (forwards or backwards, I don't know), it's getting harder for me to grasp intellectually what's going on.

Derek Trucks is fucking amazing, though. Yeah, he's probably a piece of shit hipster as a human being, but I guess we all were once. Holy shit, though, he kind of has the whole thing -- concepts and execution.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 18 Apr 2015 at 05:08 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2010

Ah yes, the proper lapsteels are amazing. You can get more zing out of those - if you do it right. You might like an Aussie called Xavier Rudd. He's a multi-instrumenalist, he does dodge, slide, harmonica... Bluesy mix of stuff. The guy's a freak.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Actually, for once I might check it out.

You seem less retarded today. New vitamins? More vegemite?

OK, that was kind of lame, so just ignore that. What I'm saying is, good call, I'll check it out.

But, seriously, what WOULD be the difference between using a specialized lap steel and just having the action set a bit higher on a regular steel guitar (like a National brand or whatever) and putting it across the knee? I know stage folks like Robert Randolph would prefer the former, just for ergonomics, but the portability and versatility of the latter is kind of appealing as well. Maybe it's down to whether one is a working musician or just a busker.

Registered
    Mar 2010

Maybe, I think having the instrument specially made (not just altered) would produce better noise?

Actually I haven't had Vegemite for a while. I'll have to buy some today. How are you after your whiskey?

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, fine. Weird, but I generally don't get hangovers anymore. If I had to guess, I'd say it's that I maintain a balanced diet of foodstuffs, and drink lots of water. The only missing ingredient is sleep, which alcohol destroys, but if I get eight hours even after thirty or forty units of alcohol, I'm good to go.

Registered
    Mar 2010

You actually sound very Russian haha

Registered
    Jul 2013

Russia brides!

Registered
    Mar 2010

I hope you find a good husband one day.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, shit. You know I cannot let that stand!

Eh, well, whatever, I hope your Russian "bride"'s clit is big enough for you.

Registered
    Sep 2009

One of my favorite electric organ pieces:

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nice one! I thought I've heard all the things Booker T recorded, but I guess I was wrong.

No joke, I regularly listen during my commute weekdays to *Doin' Our Thing* and *Hip Hug-Her*.

Booker T is still alive and is a pretty entertaining dude.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Here's a good example: Monk introducing chromaticism in a regular blues form. See, Monk's basically moving within the blues form to the kind of half-step idea you find in roots music.

Another good one is Hank Mobley's " ." Again, just a blues, and incidentally one I not only play but wrote a contrafact for, just to have a Bb blues for a Hammond job, with that nice little altered turnaround.

Registered
    Mar 2010

I really like the Monk piece. Might use it as my alarm tone. I need something that's a bit lively, but also mellow, so I don't wake up in a disgruntled panic. This piece might do the trick.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Is there any other way to wake up than in a "disgruntled panic"? Yeah, I'm lucky these few months to not wake up every morning saying "Fuck you!," heading to the dunny to vomit.

That could be a good band name, "disgruntled panic." Unfortunately for me, I hate bands and band names.

Registered
    Mar 2010

I used to wake up to the most jarring alarm tones, thinking it would jolt me awake and motivate me. But all it did was piss me off. So I try to wake up a bit more positively now.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, whatever melts your butter, I guess.

I'd be boned if I didn't have my annoying klaxon alarm for when I NEED to wake up -- I could sleep through anything except an axe splitting open my skull, so I stick to my old-school alarm clock. Also, I need to know what time it is, via red 7-segment leds, for the multiple times I wake up.

God dammed it, I'm like a needy child -- "need to see time" "need to wake up" "need quiet (solution=earplugs)" "need dark (solution=hat)"

But fuck if I don't sleep like a goddamned baby if I have those things, and trust me, I need my sleep.

Registered
    Mar 2010

I lived that way throughout my 20's. That is, for the time I did/could sleep. I basically wake up just before the alarm nowadays, just out of habit, and the alarm is just to remind me not to roll over and go back to sleep.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, as I got into my thirties in age, I found (reluctantly) I just need sleep. I seriously will murder somebody who bothers my sleep, as an older man who is also extremely conscious of the effect of wrinkles and grey or thinning hair on one's appearance.

BUT, I always, from my age of reason (what, like 8 y.o. or something?), had that thing where I subconsciously "knew" what time it was, and would wake up as if on command at the appointed time.

Now, I don't fuck around leaving things to chance. My sleep is going to be abundant, ample, and restful, and my exposure to sunlight will be sufficient to actuate latent vitamin-D, and not one bit more.

And if somebody has a problem with that, then I'm going to have a problem. In a nice way. But damned no am I going to interrupt my routine. Problem? Walk and talk. Police officer? Walk and talk. Cunt-in-a-car? Walk and talk.

Well, that was a bit TMI. I'm just getting old, and that's my way of dealing with the world, and, you know what? I'm right. I know, because that's experience.

Registered
    Mar 2010

Last edited by Trojan Man; 19 Apr 2015 at 12:31 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Registered
    Jul 2013

I don't know what the fuck I've been listening to on my phone.

I've always had Allen Toussaint's *From A Whisper To A Scream* (album), but I somehow never caught all of the instrumentals. All of which I'm going to learn just for fun.

is interesting because of the acoustic piano overdubs. I thought on the train an hour ago ... MAYBE he did it live. Now, listening again, in quiet. No fucking way.

Actually, it's kind of distracting -- it's no Bill Evans *Conversations with myself* -- but it is a great little tune, and it certainly could be played live, with some little internal chording/rhythm/mandolin-style stuff.

Also, I'm now a fan of Liszt's b Sonata -- I am trying out a cheap new mp3 player and Argerich's debut concert (?) ended up there. After four hours scanning books and getting bored with the Brahms Rhapsodies (she makes them seem almost good, but, honestly, i'm so sick of them and all those romantic warhorses, playing and listening), it ended on the Liszt. The first movement is twinky and weak, but there's some good stuff in there.

Registered
    Jul 2013

In other news, the Liszt B-minor Sonata is ridiculously hard. I think it's the hardest thing that has musical merit I've ever tried to sight-read. Sure, there are fancy things like Alkan and so forth, but this is a good music.

I also think Lee Dorsey is maybe not as well-known as he should have been, but listening yesterday (Sunday) morning, all the elements of a laid-back groove are there, completed. "Everything I do gonh be funky (From Now on)"

And, also, the Webern Variations for solo piano, is, finally, something from the classical repertoire, something I can actually play.

+ Reply to thread