Closed thread
Page 42 of 52 FirstFirst ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,100 of 2579

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #4: "Codex Aelyrr"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah listens more to the signal than the discussions around her. She catches enough to note with some detachment that it seems typical that each officer leans toward their own expertise when dealing with this issue. Security officers want to blast things. Pilots want to perform daredevil stunts. The scientists are analyzing. And I am no different, she thinks dryly. I just want to talk and listen and decode, as if language is the answer.

...Except she does think communicating might get them somewhere. Why are they not sending for the prisoners, or ordering someone to talk to them? What side would these survivors be on, the three up ahead... or their now-dead companions, presumably killed by the others' actions?

They may say nothing. But it certainly seems worth a try. Kylah is afraid to say anything further, and does not.

Instead, she continues to monitor the signal both aurally and visually, glancing at the waves now and then. The rest of the time, her eyes are occupied by her datapad. She has begun to calculate whether it would be possible to jam the shuttle's message by overloading the band with a mass of unimportant high frequency data. Kylah knows the signal and recipient are both probably too far away--as of yet--but the closer the Yorktown gets, the more possible it might be.

Naturally she doesn't actually jam the signal yet, not without asking Singh or hearing from Garcia about whether decryption is possible. But at least I can be ready if the time comes.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Garcia tells Kylah he'll take a look at the coded Klingon message. Despite his best efforts, he has made no progress with the earlier one she asked him to look at.

"That the Klingons would kill others of their mercenary band to escape with a priceless artifact," Alveron says in disgust, "does not surprise me in the least."

"Jam the Klingon signal at once, Mr. Kylah," Singh orders. "Mr. Collins, switch posts with Mr. Three Crows." The Amerindian female gives up her post to Collins without argument, and goes to stand near the Aelyrr.

"Going around the debris cloud will make it harder to catch the shuttle, Captain," Bennett says. "They had enough of a head start we'll be cutting it pretty close, as is."

Lt. Lars Dahlquist speaks up from the Engineering console. "Using the tractor beam at this speed, ma'am, or anything over one-eighth impulse, would be very risky. Grabbing the Klingon shuttle would probably rip our tractor emitter right out of the ship. I'm not sure about a shuttle launch at that speed, either. I've never heard of that being done."

"And I am very concerned about the use of torpedoes, Captain," Alveron says. "Please, do nothing that might result in the Codex being destroyed."

"Thank you, High Priestess," Singh says. "I understand your concern." She looks around the Bridge. "Any other recommendations, or feedback on Mr. Onn's?"

In his scans, Rangin sees nothing ahead of the Klingon shuttle other than the nebula itself.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia smiles despite the gravity of the situation, and murmurs teasingly to Bennett, "I think you underestimate both your own skills at plotting a safe course, and the ship's ability to catch up with a tiny shuttle going at a slower speed than we are. As the Yorktown's current avatar, I might take umbrage at that insult."

Raising her voice, she turns back to the captain. "For the record, ma'am, I'm as sure of my ability to get that shuttle safely out of the hold as Collins is of her trigger finger." With a nod at Alveron, she adds, "At least this option should be considered if we want to avoid the danger to the Codex."

Nia now splits her attention between Dahlquist and Singh. "As long as we keep the shuttle inside the ship's warp bubble--using the normal tractor beam used for launches--the shuttle'll be going at Warp 8 for as long as the ship is. The Yorktown's helm could then start slowing in preparation for meeting up with the Klingons, who'll now be in front of us. The ship turns around, carrying our shuttle along until the Klingons are in sight, then cuts us loose.

"Sure, once outside the bubble we'll start slowing down to the max of our shuttle's capacity, but we will get there. The Yorktown would basically be using the shuttle like a thrown weapon, heaving us at the Klingons. If nothing else, they'll have two targets to shoot at, and I bet they'll pick the Yorktown. That buys us time to use a more subtle approach." Nia's eyes gleam at the thought. "To use one of your Terran legends as a metaphor, it'd be Goliath using his slingshot at David."

Nia lifts her shoulder as if apologizing for her passion and nods respectfully at Singh, though she knows her eyes are probably giving away her interest in the adventure. "Whatever's best for our current mission, ma'am. Heck, if you need us to beam over to the scout ship, once their shields are down, I'll volunteer myself."
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 31 Dec 2015 at 01:36 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah acknowledges Singh's order and carries out the procedure to jam the Klingons' signal. With a swallow--she has had no backing from Graham, and apparently no one else has any qualms about the shuttle not using a cloak--she swivels her chair around toward Captain Singh.

"Ma'am," she offers, "While there's still time... I think it might be beneficial to talk to the prisoners. I know it has been tried, but that was before all this." She gestures toward the debris cloud.

"Perhaps if we told them what happened, they might be as surprised by the sabotage as we were. And if we stress that if they had been on that scout ship, they would be dead too... they might wish for vengeance and thus give up their original plans. Including the identity and location of their original customers for the Codex, if that was indeed their goal."

It is hard to imagine Klingons being so craven and spiteful. But everything about this group is vile; they have performed sneaky, manipulative acts that are an anathema to the way an honor-bound Klingon warrior thinks.

Then again, these are clearly not the same sort of Klingons with whom she and her family have spoken, broken bread and drank draughts of blood wine. Greed begets much evil. Maybe the threesome who betrayed their partners preferred to split their fee for the Codex among themselves. Sharing thirty-three percent of the loot is far more tempting than 1/26th.

She falls silent and looks back at her panel, making sure the signal jamming has not been overridden by the enemy.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins takes her post and aims the torpedoes. She sets them in a spread just wide enough to produce the equivalent of an EM pulse around the Klingon shuttle without a direct hit. She now has to wait for the order to fire until the Captain listens to the other suggestions, "Captain," Collins says, "if we wait too long to fire the torpedoes, the detonation could be close enough to the nebula to ignite it. That would surely destroy the shuttle, and may possibly do some damage to our shields. If we're going to shoot, now is the time."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia frowns. How would one ignite a nebula without the presence of oxygen? Nevertheless, she has an almost intuitive sense that Collins will likely do well, and so she says nothing about the likelihood of combustion. Let Rangin or Dahlquist teach the science class.

Still, she sure wishes that sensor machine were able to detect the presence of a Bird of Prey--or anything else--nearby. There must be a reason the shuttle is heading for the nebula.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Singh nods approvingly. "Sounds like a gutsy plan, Mr. Onn. Run a simulation, please, and quickly."

To Kylah she says, "Thank you, Ensign. Pass along your idea to Mr. Vargas in the Brig. And send an update of our status to Starfleet Command and Mr. Cheverez, please." The young Elasian woman sees that the Yorktown's powerful subspace transmitter is easily jamming the shuttle's much-less-strong one.

Dahlquist shakes his head and says, "There's no reason to think this nebula would ignite, ma'am. We could use weapons in or near it without any risk of that."

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham agrees with Kylah's concern that there may be another ship nearby, but--distracted by trying to closely observe the two Aelyrr's reaction to events--he realizes he only nodded to the back of her head while she was checking her console, something she would surely not have seen. His attention is caught by Nia's offering to volunteer to board the shuttle, which he hardly thinks is a good idea: we're not going to seize it an enter it into a flying competition, we're going to disable it and take her crew into custody. She doesn't need to volunteer any more than I need to volunteer to fly the the next shuttle mission...

Given the public context and the fact that it doesn't appear to be relevant at the moment, he's smart enough to keep his mouth shut about it.

Registered
    Mar 2012

With a little flutter of pleasure, Kylah accepts Singh's order and hurries to tap out the suggestion to both Vargas and Thalen in a high priority text message. She hesitates before adding that she knows some Klingon and a bit about their culture--understatement feeling like the safest option here--and suggests that, since the captain has indicated that she wishes Thalen to take over here on the Bridge, Kylah herself might be of service in an attempt to bargain with the prisoners.

She then updates Starfleet Command, and finally Cheverez back at the Naradraen. To the latter, she asks: Do you have a status report you would like me to pass along, sir?

Registered
    Apr 2015

It takes some effort to sublimate the urge to pump her fist and cry out a triumphant yes!, but Nia keeps herself professional. "Aye aye, sir, running a sim now," she says perkily and sets about the task.

The adrenaline rush flooding her veins, typical before any such venture, is so powerful she feels like leaping up and grabbing Booker in a fiery kiss. This desire, too, has to be clamped down on--more's the pity. Instead, while she inputs the necessary data into the computer, she just flashes him a smile and a glance fairly crackling with electricity.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Just for certainties sake, Rangin does a forward scan of the nebula, checking the fringes where the shuttle is heading to, just on the off chance that Collins is right. Better safe than sorry after all.

Then he sets up some scans of the area based on the shuttle its speed and direction and how long he thinks it might be able to continue its journey before running out of fuel. If anything new moves in that small sector of space that isn't a particulate, he wants to know about it.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Graham sees that both the Aelyrr are very intently watching what's going on around them. Eris leans in to quietly talk to Alveron now and then; the Security officer can't hear what she says.

The First Officer replies to Kylah: Thank you. Still trying to talk to the Klingons, who are saying very little. Will let you know if you're needed. VARGAS.

From the Aelyrr starship comes a coded subspace message: Your update acknowledged; thanks. Repairs proceeding well here. Aelyrr crew very helpful. Nothing to report otherwise. Good luck! CHEVEREZ.

Onn's piloting simulation synthesizes the proposed actions she inputs, several kiloquads of engineering and structural data, classified Starfleet Tactical analyses of Klingon ship-to-ship combat techniques, and Class F shuttlecraft rated-performance specs, both standard and emergency. The computer mulls it all over before reporting:

Likelihood of successful shuttle launch at Warp 8: 88.7%
    Likelihood of successful shuttle transition from starship warp field (current Warp 8) to its own (max Warp 4): 65.2%
    Likelihood of Klingons firing upon shuttle: 82.3%
    Likelihood of destruction of shuttle: 53.1%

Warning: Unknown, unanticipated or misunderstood variables may significantly change outcomes.

Rangin's scans lead him to agree with Dahlquist that the risk of igniting the nebula is vanishingly small. The Klingon shuttle is already outperforming any such vessel in Starfleet's database of Klingon small craft; any estimate as to its fuel capacity or consumption rate would be highly speculative. Sensors reveal nothing artificial within scanning range other than the debris cloud, the Naradrean and the Klingon shuttle. He sets up an automated-warning program to immediately let him know if anything else appears.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 01 Jan 2016 at 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia lets out a tiny growl that's probably audible only to herself--well, and possibly Bennett. Looking over the parameters of the sim, she notes with optimism that it didn't take into account her own record and skills; it's just taking the average stats of Class F shuttles vs. whatever-the-heck this Klingon shuttle type is called.

But Nia is a realist, and she knows that, just as the sim didn't take her skills into account, neither did it compute the skills of whatever Klingon is at the helm. She can hope for a clod but might vie against a master. Not that she's found Klingons to be geniuses at finesse. They're thugs with battering rams who'll bash in a door that wasn't even wholly closed, while Nia, to continue the metaphor, is a lock picker and cat burglar.

Wtih a shrug, she reports the sim findings to Singh and finishes, "So, we've supposedly got more-or-less even odds. I think it's woefully underestimating my prowess, but I would, wouldn't I? If I were alone I'd take the chance, because I know what wondrous feats I'm capable of coaxing out of one of our shuttles."

Her playful expression sobers somewhat. "But were I in a position to do so, I would only order anyone to take the risk with me if the matter were significantly more of a life-or-death situation. No offense to you or your faith, High Priestess," she adds respectfully before returning to Singh.

She takes a deep breath and exhales. "Ma'am, you know my abilities and the computer's estimates. You're certainly the best judge of what our priorities should be. I stand ready and willing, whatever you decide."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah thanks Cheverez and wishes him and his team the best, and passes along the update. She hesitates before relaying Vargas's response. "He says they are not having any luck with the Klingons, but will consider me if they are in need. Although it seems that they already..." She really does not want to argue with the Captain about Vargas, even if this were a good time to do so--and it most assuredly is not. So she lets her words trail off, turning back to her panel.

It makes no sense that, if Vargas is getting nothing out of the Klingons now, he would decide against any offer of assistance. The decision to avoid seeking her assistance must be due to either Vargas's own stubbornness, his pride, or his low estimation of Kylah's usefulness. And Kylah knows Vargas does not have, has never had, much if any confidence in her.

He feels she owes her place on board the Yorktown entirely due to political influence. She was pushed on him and his ship, pushed through an accelerated course in the Academy, and even pushed on the Federation itself before Elas was officially in consideration for membership. All of which is accurate.

But notwithstanding these facts, Kylah believes she would have reached this level anyway, even without the political maneuvering and manipulation. Perhaps not as quickly... but as low as her confidence is right now, she does not doubt her language and cultural awareness skills.

Maybe Thalen will speak up for me in private, to Vargas? It seems the only likely way to get past Vargas's apparent certainty that she is nothing but an honorary officer; little more than set decoration to trot out for occasions like the dinner that honored Vice Admiral Hardin.

Perhaps I will never prove myself, she thinks grimly as she watches her monitor.

At least the jamming seems to be working, which is good. A flicker of curiosity makes her wonder if--now that the shuttle's communications will appear to have stopped transmitting--the intended recipient of these signals will send off a query in an attempt to ping the now-seemingly quiet shuttle.

Kylah strengthens the power to the ship's receiver as high as possible, hoping that if the shuttle was trying to contact a specific listener, she'll be able to catch the latter trying to reestablish the connection. An attempt that is as unlikely to succeed as her own attempt to communicate with Vargas.
    Last edited by choie; 01 Jan 2016 at 06:10 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Singh acknowledges Cheverez's update. Kylah detects no response to the now-jammed Klingon signal, which was an omnidirectional broadcast.

Dahlquist says, "Having seen them myself, I don't doubt your piloting skills in the least, Mr. Onn. But assuming you successfully launch our shuttle and get close to the Klingon one, what would you do next? And might you not block a torpedo shot, if necessary, from the Yorktown?"

Registered
    May 2013

Graham feels more than slightly out of his element: this ship-to-ship strategizing is far more Nia or Bennett's domain, especially when there's top priority on "not vaporizing" the other ship.

He frowns. "How durable is this codex?" he asks Alveron. He shrugs slightly and glances at some of his colleagues. "We should be able to wear down a shuttle's shields easily enough--rather than torpedoes, or a shuttle intercept, we could take a more pinpoint approach to breaching the hull, and pick the codex up after its crew asphyxiates."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Alveron looks very uneasy, if Graham is interpreting her catlike face's expression accurately. "The Codex itself is a fragile and priceless antiquity; its carrying case is considerably stronger, but I would not want it exposed to weapons fire or hard vacuum if at all possible."

Bennett says, "Klingons know how to fight in vacuum. They'd have spacesuits, or airmasks at the very least, if we tried to decompress their hull."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia darts a look at Booker, not sure whether to laugh or be concerned by his casual willingness to asphyxiate an entire crew. Unconsciously her hand lifts to toy with the silver chain against her clavicle, which is all that can be seen of the inhaler tucked beneath her uniform. She returns to Dahlquist.

"We'd use the Tesla. It's got the strongest shields by far, and I'm sure you remember that it's being used as a test bed for arming shuttlecraft--" She realizes this isn't necessarily public information, which makes her pause, but then decides it's not confidential, either. "--Not that this'll be regular Starfleet policy; there are almost no armed shuttlecraft that I know about. But having one on board each Constitution-class ship is a possibility--at least, some think it should be. I sure do."

Nia's gaze scans the security officers on the Bridge, wanting all of them in on this. "The Tesla's got a single phaser emitter that's locked and loaded, so to speak. And in fact, earlier this week, a bunch of engies and I were running some experiments on the practicality of adding a photon torpedo for heftier missions. Luckily enough, the prototype external photon tube is still attached. That one's not loaded, needless to say; we didn't plan on bringing it live yet. But it's ready for an actual warhead, if we want it. And I would."

Her arm drops back down to rest on the side of the panel, leaning against it. "So. My plan would be to take the Tesla out, held in the loving arms of the Yorktown's tractor beam. I suggest that once the ship makes the turn, you get nice and close to scare the sh--heck out of them. With the lowest setting, Collins gives 'em a little tap with a phaser, just to show we care."

She smiles and rubs the helm affectionately. "Remember, the shuttlebay is aft, so the Klingons won't be able to see the Tesla. As you give them that gentle knock on their front door, release us. I'll have our engines off and through inertia, we'll coast, sliding under the bellies of both the Yorktown and the Klingons.

"Without our engines, and with you big as life in their screens, their sensors shouldn't even notice us as anything but space flotsam or jetsam." Her hands describe the movement--her left hand above, right hand below, cast as the Tesla. She moves both in tandem, then suddenly swerves the upper hand upwards while the lower hand coasts beneath the invisible Klingon shuttle sandwiched between them.

"See, they'll be preoccupied with you flying over them, and that's when--if Collins's gentle phaser blast didn't take down their shields--I'll bring the Tesla back to life and phaser them from below. They'll probably have started to turn port or starboard just to get away from the massive ship heading right into their faces; if so, I'll follow."

Nia glances down at her screen. "I don't care what that sim says. Confronted by the Yorktown and the tiny little Tesla, no way a Klingon wastes firepower by focusing on a mere shuttle. If you're simultaneously attacked by a giant flame-throwing dragon and a bee, do you worry about the bee? Hell no. It would be suicidally stupid And Klingons are not stupid, whatever we may think of them."

She hesitates and looks around. "There's more, but... does anyone have questions so far?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 03 Jan 2016 at 06:49 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"I like it" is all Collins says.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"The plan is risky, very risky, but seems sound, Captain," Bennett says.

Dahlquist nods. "I concur."

"Very well," says Singh. "Proceed, Mr. Onn. Select your shuttle crew and move out. Time is short." She presses the white intercom button on her chair. "Shuttlebay, this is the Captain."

"Shuttlebay here."

"Prep the Tesla for immediate launch, including loading its photon torpedo tube. Priority One. Lt. Onn will be down with her crew very shortly."

"Aye, Captain. Shuttlebay out."

Eris says to Onn, very firmly, "I would like to go. An Aelyrr should play a role in the recovery of the Codex."

Collins's Tactical panel buzzes. The Yorktown, she sees, is now within torpedo range of the Klingon shuttle.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin is only paying half his attention to Lt Onn's perhaps more outlandish idea of using a shuttle. It's not his area of expertise so he has no idea whether it would be a sane thing to do, although dropping out of the USS Yorktown at Warp 8, sounds like a rollercoaster ride he isn't sure he wants to be on.

The rest of his attention is spent trying to get more readings on the fleeing Klingon shuttle. If he can work out its shield strength, armament, warp drive capacity and so on, it could prove vital to stopping it, not to mention that Starfleet would love to find out about this new vehicle the Klingons have been hiding.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia nods and turns to Collins. "You're staying here, since we need a good shooter with a subtle hand, and you seem to be ready to take that kind of a shot." To Bennett, she adds: "Between the Yorktown and Tesla, we can circle that shuttle like a pair of sharks. I'll be able to get her shields down and knock her out, then we order them to surrender the Codex." To Singh: "Once the shields are down and their shuttle's inoperative, you can beam the Codex off. If worse comes to worst, we'll board. Klingons aren't the only ones who can wear EV suits. At least I'll make mine look good."

Her mind is busy trying to think of a crew. Considering the danger involved, she doesn't want a full complement. But just in case boarding is involved, she needs at least four.

But while she thinks, she adds another suggestion to Singh. "If I may recommend a replacement for me at Helm, Captain, I'd go with Lt. Pourtash. Given how close you need to get to the Klingon ship, and the quick move upwards--it's basically a game of 'chicken'--all of our helm officers are capable, but Pourtash is the one whose hands seem the nimblest."

Nia's very tempted to make a crack about Cooper, but she swallows it back. There's no more time for her to hem and haw about who's going on the shuttle.

"Eris, of course, you should come along. I want to keep this party as small as possible, just in case that sim is right. I'd prefer to ask for volunteers, but..." Nia purses her lips. "Three-Crows and St. Croix, and handling the weapons..."

She looks at Booker and her heart does a sudden lurch. Does she order him on what could be a kamikaze mission, or leave him here with no role? Searching his gaze, she tries to read what he might prefer.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"We're in range, Captain." Collins says. She nods in agreement with Onn's assessment of her targeting skills. She turns her attention to her targeting panel and waits for Singh's order to fire. She makes little adjustments to the angles as they get closer. She'd prefer to blow the Klingons out of the water, as it were, but she knows the goal is to rescue the Codex. Even if these Aelyrr are one of the rebel factions, the Codex should not be in Klingon hands.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Singh says, "Thank you, Mr. Collins. Stand by." She turns and says to Kylah, "Have Lt JG Pourtash report to the Bridge on the double. Have Ens. St. Croix report to the Shuttlebay. Tell her it's for an off-ship assignment; Mr. Onn can brief her once she gets there."

Eris takes a step towards the turbolift.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 04 Jan 2016 at 01:29 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's surprised and a bit alarmed Nia didn't immediately name him to her team for this mission...on top of running after that Klingon on her own, should I be worried about something...?"

She at least glances his way. "If you're looking for volunteers, ma'am, how about 'any combat veterans of open war with the Klingon Empire please raise their hands?'" Graham suggests, raising his.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia responds to Booker's comment with torn feelings. She's glad to work by his side and trusts his talent. But part of her flashes on a vision of some mistake, some misjudgment on her part, causing him harm...

Suck it up. Everyone you're leading will be royally fucked if you mess up. Bright side, you won't be around to know it.

She swallows, moves past her dilemma and nods at Booker. "Right. Mr. Graham, thank you. Just the man I was looking for." The words are out before she realizes the double meaning. If she were the type to blush, she would. Instead she adds to Kylah: "While you get St. Croix, tell her to grab a phaser. We'd better arm up, just in case they board us or we have to board them."

Then she starts toward the turbolift, commenting as she passes Dahlquist:

"By the way, Mr. Dahlquist, I never answered your question. As for the Tesla getting in the way of the Yorktown's torpedo... if I were clumsy and blind enough to let that happen, please let that torpedo blast me and put me out of my misery, because I'd need a mercy kill. Besides," she adds with a quick, confident smile at Collins, "I think Collins can tell the difference between that ugly bucket of bolts the Klingons call a shuttle and our sweet little Tesla."

Waiting with Eris by the turbolift for Booker and Three Crows to join them, Nia nods her head at Singh. "Captain. I'll be in contact. I won't let you or the High Priestess down."

Once everyone is ready and the turbolift opens, Nia will enter.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah feels the thrum of mixed emotions throughout the Bridge, and it heightens her own anxiety somewhat. But she follows the captain's orders, hailing Pourtash and passing along the command. She is about to switch to St. Croix when she overhears Nia's request.

She glances at the captain to make sure she agrees with the addition. If Singh nods, she will hurry and direct St. Croix to the armory and then the shuttlebay.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins smiles when Onn comments about her ability to tell the shuttles apart, but stays focused on the targeting arrays.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham joins Nia and the others in the turbo lift, somewhat concerned but keeping his demeanor neutral as this was certainly not the place to ask his questions: was Nia intending to go without me? I'd be useless in some fancy flying scenario, but in the case of boarding--that'd be crazy...Or did I do something wrong earlier?

He re-focuses on the mission. "Uh, Eris--" he says quietly, addressing the alien. "I understand your feelings toward Klingons, but while on a Starfleet mission--our, ah, 'warrior code' is that we take incapacitated enemies prisoner. They'll be held to account--hell, maybe even in this case turned over to your people at some point--but in the meantime--no summary executions."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Once everyone's in the turbolift, Nia latches onto the handle and utters a crisp "Deck six" to get to the armory, not even hearing herself. Her mind is preoccupied, having begun its journey into pre-flight mode--especially necessary given the incredibly short amount of time she'll have between having conceived the strategy and executing it.

But Booker's hesitant voice enters her consciousness and when she hears the words "warrior code," she finds herself listening to him more keenly.

His words surprise and please her. This, from the man who was willing to blast a hole in the shuttle and kill the whole crew. It's exactly what she would have said to Eris, and even the way he addresses her is just the right tone.

She can't help sending him an affectionate glance, wanting to touch him physically but only able to reach out with her gaze. "Thank you, Mr. Graham," she says quietly, and nods at Eris. "Our goal is to retrieve your Codex. Capturing the Klingons is a secondary objective, and punishment is not even on the table. Defense, yes. But I doubt it will come to that, in any event. I'm gearing us up to be ready for any boarding scenarios, because better safe than sorry. Otherwise, I expect us to knock out their shields so that the Yorktown can beam the Codex--"

Nia suddenly cuts off and blinks at the Aelyrr warrior. "Wait a second. There isn't a problem with that, is there? Transporting the Codex? I know the Klingons already did it, but given your religion's thoughts on transportation... Is that something we need to consider?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 04 Jan 2016 at 10:25 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Singh nods in approval regarding Onn's order to St. Croix.

As the Tesla party leaves the Bridge, Alveron places her trembling, thin paws on her arms, then extends one of them towards you. She says, "May Ael bless you in this sacred undertaking, my children, and may She protect and guide you as you take back what eternally belongs to Her people."

Collins sees that she still has a good torpedo lock on the fast-moving Klingon shuttle.

Pourtash arrives on the Bridge and takes the Helm.

Singh hits her intercom button again and says, "Engineering, this is the Captain. Let's squeeze a few more points out of the warp drive. Prepare for Warp 8.2. We'll be launching a shuttle, and I want them to have a little extra time to deal with the Klingons."

"Aye, ma'am," comes Delaney's response from belowdecks. "Stand by... ready now."

"Proceed, Mr. Pourtash," Singh says.

"Warp 8.2, aye," Pourtash says, pressing the keys of his console, and in moments the Yorktown's engines' pitch rises slightly higher. By intercom, Singh tells Onn what she's doing.

In the turbolift, Eris says to Graham, "If I can avoid killing another Klingon, I will. If I cannot, I will not." To Onn she replies, "I am a warrior, not a priestess. It would be better to get the Codex without beaming it, but what is most important is that we get it."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia hears the change in the engine even as Singh tells her the increase in speed. She thanks the captain but Eris's words make her pause before returning her communicator to its slot on her duty belt. Crap. "Yeah, Eris, I appreciate that. Big fan of warriors myself. But I'm not putting a bunch of my people in harm's way to beam that Codex back only to have your Priestess cry that it's been despoiled or befouled or whatever."

Her voice barely pauses while she flips open the communicator. "Onn to Rangin. Ensign, I'm contacting you because you had a bit of religious rapport with the Priestess on the shuttle, and also because the Captain might be occupied. There's a wrinkle we need to iron out. No one accounted for the fact that the Aelyrr religion disallows transporter travel 'cause it's unholy."

She glares at the turbolift doors as if trying to intimidate them into opening on Deck 6. When they do, she'll stride forward and continue without missing a beat. "So can you please confirm with Alveron that beaming the Codex back to the Yorktown is acceptable? Because if it's not, I wanna know ASAP. And tell the Captain we'd better prepare for this becoming a boarding mission--or we cancel altogether. If we beam it over and ruin it, this risk is pointless. Thanks."

Nia walks into the armory and eyes the weapons. She tosses an inquiring look at Graham and the other security officers. "What's the well-dressed Klingon-fighter wearing these days? Phaser 2s enough? Seemed good on the Naradraen, but these are mercs who apparently play with big explosives. Not saying we need a phaser cannon, but...for all I know, maybe we do. Advice, and fast."
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 05 Jan 2016 at 12:43 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin is surprised to receive a comms call while scanning, but flips it up and listens to Lt Onn's query. "Yes ma'am, I'll get back to you as quickly as I can." he responds, time being of the essence.

Closing the unit and instead of putting it away, he holds on to it for easy access. He turns round to look for the Aeylrr priestess who last seen hovering near to the Captain's chair and after a brief check that nothing has changed on the terminal in the last few seconds, he smartly heads down and attracts her attention.

"Excuse me ma'am, I have an urgent question from Lt Onn and Eris requiring clarification. Is it acceptable to use the transporter on the codex? I do understand you have certain strictures against it's use, but is it feasible?" He waits for the answer

Registered
    May 2013

Graham exhales and scowls slightly. Rubbing his chin, he responds to Nia. "That's a good question. Ordinarily, I'd want phaser rifles any day dealing with Klingons. But in tight quarters, on a shuttle we're unfamiliar with?" He shakes his head. "Over-under says stick with deuces. Easier to maneuver and if we really cut loose with rifle firepower we're too likely to fry up something we shouldn't. Or, ah, vent ourselves into space."

Registered
    Sep 2009

In the Armory, Three Crows says, "Phaser-2s should be enough, ma'am, but we can take phaser rifles too, if you wish." She smiles. "As an old Scout, I believe in being prepared... for any eventuality."

Alveron looks very tired. She says slowly to Rangin, "I would much prefer it not be beamed again, but it has been before - not by us - and if there is no better way to recover it, then I consent."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Thank you ma'am," Rangin says appreciatively to the elder Aelyrr seeing the weariness, "I'll let them know immediately."

He heads back to the Science console flipping open the communicator on the way. "Rangin to Lt Onn. Consent given to transport the Codex, but only if necessary. Rangin out."

He turns back to the monitoring, anxious to see what it can tell him about the shuttle and making sure nothing else has appeared in the vicinity.

Registered
    Apr 2015

"One for, one against. Let's compromise." Nia reaches for a rifle and tosses it nimbly to St. Croix. "The rest of us will get phaser-2's as usual, leaving St. Croix prepared to avenge us if it turns out the 'deuces' were unlucky. Sound good?" She picks her weapon and eyes it. "Highest stun level."

"Okay, what else." She visualizes a checklist of what they'll need. "EV suits will be in the shuttlebay, and we should each pick one out. I'll stress again that a boarding situation is unlikely--unless we hear otherwise from the Priestess--but if the Klingons blast a hole in the Tesla, or we need to get onto theirs, we're gonna be damn glad we're wearing those suits."

She claps the phaser in its proper place on her belt and pats it. As she does, her stomach growls. Oh right. Food. Breakfast would've probably been a good idea. Better grab a protein bar from one of the kits on the shuttle. Swallowing, as if that will stave off the hunger, Nia tilts her head toward the turbolift. "Whenever you're ready, let's get going."

That's when her gaze falls on the Aelyrr. Forgot about her. What do I do? "Eris, I know you can use weapons, which is pretty admirable considering your..." The word 'paw' just seems wrong, somehow, so Nia covers quickly. "...Your physical attributes don't seem set up for our sort of weaponry. Besides, you come with your own." She curls one hand into a claw-like gesture, then turns to Booker and St. Croix.

"I actually don't know Security policy on this. Do we hand out weapons to non-Starfleet personnel? What's the procedure here?" Frankly Nia is disinclined to give Eris a weapon; she still doesn't entirely trust the self-described warrior. Once they decide what to do about the Aelyrr, Nia's anxious to get to the turbolift. Her feet are already leaning forward, almost bouncing a little from her high energy and readiness to get the heck to the Tesla already.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 05 Jan 2016 at 02:45 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

"Well, if we're talking about guests of the Yorktown, as I see it we're not asking Eris here to engage in any combat, she should hand back and let us take care of that, if necessary, so under these circumstances we wouldn't issue anyone a weapon," Graham replies. He shrugs slightly. "On the other hand, outside of normal protocols for carrying weapons onboard the ship-say, if someone was accompanying a landing party as a guest rather than a detainee and had weapons of their own, we wouldn't insist on disarming them." He pauses. "Although in a tactical situation like a possible boarding under fire..."

He glances at St. Croix. "We'd prefer to handle that ourselves, uh--I mean with Starfleet personnel only. Even someone very well-trained may have been trained in a completely different way... If anybody 'zigs' when the others expect them to 'zag' we really ratchet up the risk from friendly fire."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia, glad that Booker's thinking is in line with hers--though perhaps not for the same reason--gives him a friendly nod of thanks. She belatedly hears her communicator hail and checks in, hearing Rangin's message. Her thumb taps out a simple Thanks - & I mean for everything -- NIA in reply while she looks up at her team.

"All right, folks," she says to the others, including Eris in her sweeping glance. "Word from Alveron is, if at all possible, get the Codex without beaming it back, but she'll accept it if the transporter is the only way."

Nia doesn't waste any time in moving to the turbolift. "Once you're all ready--Three Crows, you'll take a Phaser-2 as well?--then let's get to it. That shuttle's getting closer to the nebula as we speak. And I'm sure we're all curious to try on the latest in EV wear." If everyone follows her into the turbolift, Nia will ask for Deck 20.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Three Crows looks a little disappointed not to be taking a phaser rifle from the Armory, but she picks up a phaser-2 and moves on.

Eris says evenly, "I am armed. I will not need one of your weapons, but thank you."

As ordered, St. Croix meets Onn and the others in the Shuttlebay. Lt. Hans Meyer, the shuttle maintenance crew chief, a middle-aged Austrian, says to Onn, "The Tesla is ready to go, ma'am. We've already gone through the preflight checklist, but of course you may wish to double-check it. The phaser bank is fully charged and you have two photon torpedoes loaded and ready."

On the Bridge, Rangin finds that sensor scans of the Klingon shuttle are telling him nothing new. It's possible the Klingons are using sensor countermeasures of some kind, or there may be interference from the nearby nebula. He still sees no other ships in the area other than the Naradraen.

At her Communications panel a few meters away, Kylah has an intercom contact; it sounds like a young Human male. "Pardon me. This is Dr. Brold's assistant. He's concerned about the sensor prototype and the testing we'd expected to do. Is there any danger? Are we still going on to our destination? Just a moment... uh, I know there's a Red Alert, but he... uh, he says he'd like to talk to the Captain." His voice seems friendly and pleasant, and Kylah finds it somewhat familiar.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 06 Jan 2016 at 12:52 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah, who was watching the entire discussion between Dahlquist, Onn, Graham and the Captain, is preoccupied with her concern that the dangerous plan might lead to disaster.

There are so many ways this could go wrong. The mercenary shuttle could destroy their own, a cloaked Bird of Prey could appear out of the Nebula, an attempt at boarding might lead to injuries or deaths--or if the Klingons end up boarding the Tesla, even capture and hostages...

With her exhausted mind worried about such grave circumstances, the thought of Brold caring only about his experimental machine seems almost comical.

She frowns in irritation. Actually, given the man's tone, he sounds as if he is somewhat embarrassed by having to pass along this request. She wonders whom he reminds her of--Kylah cannot remember having met any of the party that boarded with Brold.

In any event, his humility makes her bite back the acerbic retort that just sprang to mind. She gives a soft, weary sigh, and with a covert glance at Singh, responds in a murmur, "I am sorry, sir. We are about to engage with Klingons, and I dare not bother the Captain now unless it is an emergency. Please tell Dr. Brold I will have her contact him once this is all..."

Her voice falters and she looks at the main viewscreen. She has a bad feeling about this encounter, and her own uselessness does not help. She shakes her head and continues hoarsely. "Once this is resolved."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia thanks Meyer under her breath and does indeed take a look at the checklist, although she has never known there to be any sloppiness before. But she'll be damned if this happens to be the first time and she fails to catch it.

"Two torpedos, hmm? Well, happy birthday to me," she mutters, eyes scanning the list. "In the meantime, all five of us in the squad need to get outfitted with EV suits--everything but the helmets for now, please; that can wait till we're inside. Not sure if we'll have anything ideal for our felinoid guest, but she'll have to deal with having that tail cramped for a while." She shrugs and returns her attention to the list.

Assuming everything seems fine, she'll turn to the Tesla itself. The weaponry probably makes the shuttle seem more ungainly than it is. She's run flight sims with everything but the oblong torpedo tube, which is the most recent addition to the experimental vessel. Hopefully everything remains in order, as it was a few days ago when she last saw it.

Next--again, as long as there's nothing that raises concerns--she'll give Meyer a quick rundown of the plan, since he'll be overseeing things from in here. Mostly she wants to reassure him that after the shuttlebay is depressurized, the hatch opens, and the Tesla starts its launch, he shouldn't raise an alarm when the shuttle's engines get cut off.

"I'll be doing that on purpose once I know Yorktown's tractor beam has us in place. The Captain probably informed you of this but, y'know. It's an unusual plan, so I just want to make sure we're all in sync."

She'll then don an EV suit herself, holding the helmet at her side. Under normal circumstances, the Captain or First Officer would be here to see them off, but the Yorktown's most senior officers are otherwise engaged. That leaves Nia to inspect the squad one last time before they enter the shuttle.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 06 Jan 2016 at 05:48 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Slightly surprised to see the more informal response from Lt Onn, Rangin shakes his head and turns back to the sensors.

Now having a firm grasp on the fleeing shuttle, and annoyed that the standard scans are not being as responsive with information as he likes, he starts using the more obscure spectrographic sensors to see if they can return anything, all the while resigning himself to the fact that until the shuttle comes out of warp, he's unlikely to get anything specific.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The man talking to Kylah says, "Thanks. That's about what I thought, but he insisted I ask. Sorry to have bothered you." He pauses. "If you don't mind my saying so, ma'am, you sound tired. Long watch?"

Meyer acknowledges Onn's orders, and sees that everyone on Onn's shuttle crew is given spacesuits from a nearby storage room. The crew, including Eris, quickly dons them. Each passes Onn's inspection and boards the shuttle. Meyer and his two maintenance specialists leave the Shuttlebay at once.

Rangin's spectrographic analysis of the Klingon shuttle reveals that its hull is standard Klingon tritanium reinforced alloy. Structural and tactical scans show the small craft has a single airlock, five small forward viewports, two aft outboard warp nacelles and two disruptor banks, one fore and one aft.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 06 Jan 2016 at 11:58 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins feels as though she's been waiting days for the Captain to give the order to implement Onn's plan. She stays focused on her targeting scanner, her hands on the panel, ready to go at Singh's word.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Surprised by the question--and the concern--Kylah is brought up short and realizes that having deprived herself of sleep for so long, she cannot hide it, cannot even think straight. The captain was right. If I put it off any longer I will pass out again.

The possibility of losing consciousness in the middle of a far greater crisis, with Graham and the others in danger... She must not allow herself to be such a distraction. The thought is so awful that she responds with unintentional candor. "Yes," she says in an exhale, her body shuddering. "It has been a very long watch. But I am going off-duty, and..."

Realizing that she is rambling to some stranger, Kylah puts a hand to her forehead. "I am sorry, I just meant... I will make sure my superior knows that Dr. Brold wishes to speak to the Captain. Thank you for your concern." She closes the connection, bites her lip, and follows through with the captain's earlier order to contact Lt. Thalen so he can replace her.

When through, she types up a quick update so that Thalen will be up to speed on her work and the situation in general. In truth, she will be glad to leave the Bridge. The tension is so thick and electric it is almost physically uncomfortable for her.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin smiles a little at the new data that comes his way. Finally, he's beginning to get somewhere with the data. Nasty little ship as well, by the looks of it.

He glances round to the Security station to see Collins hunched over her console, apparently tracking the shuttle as well and then wonders why she isn't trying to ask for this kind of data. He can't help but roll his eyes and then transfer the sketchy schematics across to her, and then for good measure send the same schematics to the Tesla.

If we are going to get into a fight with it, best to have at least an idea of what it can do, as well as what we can do to it, especially the fact it can fire both forwards and backwards.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia makes her way to the front of the Tesla and when she passes Booker, taps his shoulder. "We've rigged up the weaponry so that it can be controlled from both the pilot and the co-pilot's seat. And this is exactly why--I need you to handle them. I want my mind focused on our not getting blasted, and aiming the Tesla so you can blast as needed." She smiles at him to show her confidence, and most importantly her confidence in him.

She takes her seat, secures her helmet behind the pilot's chair where it won't get in the way, and swivels to face the others.

"If this goes according to plan, I fully hope that later today you'll all be complaining that you wasted twenty minutes on a shuttle doing nothing. But there's a chance we'll end up in face-to-face combat if there's a boarding scenario. So right now, make sure your weapons are on heavy stun, top setting. We want a nonlethal attack."

This isn't just to re-emphasize Booker's warning to Eris--although that's a good portion of it--but the others need to hear this too. "These Klingons stole something extremely valuable that's worthless to them on its own. They're working for someone, or likely have a customer in mind. To get that info out of them, we need them alive."

She takes a deep breath and continues. "In the meantime, buckle yourself in and hold on tight. We'll be heading out at whatever speed the Yorktown's at, as long as we're in the ship's containment bubble, though they'll be slower than we are now. But there's gonna be a sharp deceleration once the Yorktown gets far enough away and we're no longer hitching a ride. I'll be cuing the engines by then, so the inertial dampeners will protect us from ending up like bugs on a windshield, but we'll likely still feel something. Just brace yourselves, and--excuse me, something's coming through..."

She reads the data sent from Rangin, her eyes lighting up at the information about their target. It's not good news--with fore and aft disruptors, she'll need to keep the Tesla parallel to their port or starboard sides--but she'd rather be informed than ignorant, and until now they didn't seem able to get a handle on what this shuttle is like.

At least now she knows where to aim first: get through their shields and, hopefully, take out the weaponry. Good to see the position of the airlock, on the off chance a boarding is required. Wait. Oh damn. The Klingons aren't gonna just hear us knocking and let us in.

She picks up her communicator and contacts the armory. "Onn here. I need something small, portable, to blow an airlock door. You got any small charges you can beam over to me ASAP? I'm on the Tesla here in the shuttlebay?"

She grinds her teeth at her own stupidity and passes a sheepish look toward Graham. Great way to start a mission. Well, damn it, it's only been ten minutes since I thought of the idea. While waiting for the response from the armory, she murmurs low to Graham, "Please let me know if I'm forgetting anything else, will you?" Another thought occurs to her. "And can you ask Eris what her weapon is? I don't want any surprises."
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 06 Jan 2016 at 02:23 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham smiles in return, cracks his knuckles and takes a look at the weapons console in response to Nia's comments about "blasting."

A moment later, he shakes his head. "Huh, funny, I guess the fact that we're dealing with Klingons took me back to uh, more military focused assignments back in the day--didn't occur to me the shuttle wouldn't be stocked with breaching charges. But then again that was a reflection of a pretty damned bad time between the Klingons and us." He clears his throat. "Nothing I can think you've forgotten - but I'll check on Eris," he adds just loud enough for Nia to hear.

Graham approaches Eris and take a seat next to her.* "You said you were armed--anything besides, ah, claws and teeth the team needs to be aware of?" he asks quietly.

* if she's sitting, either taking a seat next to her or a knee in front of her to be face to face rather than looking down at her

Registered
    Sep 2009

Thalen soon arrives and relieves Kylah; he briefly looks over her notes and nods. "Thank you, Mr. Kylah. I relieve you."

"Well done, Ensign, and my thanks," the Captain says, turning briefly from the main viewscreen as she sees Kylah preparing to leave. "Get a good rest. You've more than earned it."

The Armory has four antimatter grenades beamed in a rugged carrying case to the Tesla. The ovoid, matte-gray explosives are standard Starfleet issue and about twice the mass of a communicator. Each has a small control panel with a safety lock, timer, proximity-detonation function, adjustable yield, and options for either magnetic or chemical adhesion, as needed.

Eris heard Onn's question and responds to her directly, "I have a knife and a phaser." To Graham she says rather dryly, "I don't expect to be able to use my claws and teeth through this spacesuit and helmet. Can we go now, please?"

Closed thread