Closed thread
Page 21 of 52 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,050 of 2579

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #4: "Codex Aelyrr"

Registered
    Apr 2015

With a chuckle at Graham's self-deprecation, Nia licks a bit of maple syrup--a drizzle of which she used on the sausages--from her thumb. "I think you have me confused with someone else, Booker. I'm no ivory-tower intellectual, though yeah, there's plenty of calculations in what I do. I wouldn't be here if I couldn't tell my astrogator from my altaz system."

She grins at the light pun, though it's a common one with pilots. "But I have no problem with earthy talk. Most of my favorite memories of the years before Starfleet are of getting down and dirty lying beneath the bellies of airships while covered in oil. Later, at the Academy, I heard and participated in all the, uh, not particularly intellectually stimulating conversations you'd expect when a bunch of weary tinkerers and pilots sneak out past curfew to bars where we'd try to outdo each other in filling our gullets with cheap brew."

Her smile fades until it turns somewhat hard. "Honestly, there are a lot worse words that leap to mind, not to mention some sick concocted revenge plots, when I think of the bastards who beat the crap out of that girl. I wouldn't go through with them--revenge isn't justice--but I understand the strategy and toughness it takes to deal with animals like that." Nia looks at the dwindling food on her plate. "I just hope the officials in charge of catching them feel the way I do: justice belongs to the law, not the enforcers. Those who forget that run the risk of blurring the line between them and the beasts they're supposed to be fighting."

Shrugging, Nia lifts her gaze and returns to a less pensive mood. "Sorry, I doubt you appreciate hearing arm's-length philosophy about your job. Hope you'll be willing to tell me more about yourself and your career, preferably when we're not facing a countdown till our respective watches."

Normally at this point she'd shut up and let him do the chasing--she's already come on strong enough--but she doesn't think the usual rules apply. Not after what he did for her yesterday. "So in aid of that... can I figuratively 'buy' you a drink tonight? After I woke up looking at that beautiful snowglobe you got me, I figure it's my turn to treat you to something nice and wet."
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 28 Jul 2015 at 08:39 PM.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham's somewhat distracted by the image of Nia covered in oil, but clocks in as she starts to talk about revenge and justice. What should or could I say to that?...it's complicated, he thinks.

Then she concludes with something even he--who feels certain he's not great at picking up on innuendo--can't help but miss, unless he's completely deluded.

"I...ah..." he pauses. "I know a lot about that, I guess, the question of justice versus going over the line..." he replies. He can't quite bring himself to take a senior officer's hand in public on the table.

"But...aside from that, Nia..." he says, lowering his voice, "I...I hope yesterday wasn't a fluke. I'd like to meet you...for drink..." he adds hastily, "tonight, after our watch." He pauses and his right arm twitches a little bit toward her arm. "I really would."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Bucci says to Rangin in a friendly way, "OK, I understand. C'mon back if you change your mind." Does Rangin wish to go to the cargo bay where the sensor module prototype is, or to a Science lab?

Cooper kisses Collins right back, quite appreciatively, and they go their separate ways. Collins is right on time for her watch on the Yorktown's Bridge, relieving Ens. Three Crows at the Security console. The American Indian officer has nothing new to report. Capt. Singh is in the big chair and talking quietly with Chief Engineer Cheverez, who stands beside her. The sunlit, slowly-turning arc of Anubis fills the main viewscreen.

Thalen looks a long time at Kylah and then nods. "Very well. Report to the Bridge within the next twenty minutes, Ensign. Let me know at once if there are any problems, or you need to be relieved. Understood?" Kylah can clearly sense his concern for her.

Dr. Villa says to T'Var, "I hadn't thought of that. Good point. What preparations would you suggest before Mr. Fujishiro enters a... terminal phase?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 28 Jul 2015 at 10:04 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia's gaze flickers to the slight movement of Graham's hand, but she pretends she doesn't notice. "Then we're all set," she says, using the napkin to wipe her hands and mouth before dropping it on the tray. "Dinner and drinks, tonight. Assuming you're not needed for more derring-do on the planet--and I pray you're not, and we'll be out of here without anyone else getting in harm's way."

She gets up and excuses herself, picking up her things with her left hand. "I'd better get going." With a laughing glance at the mass of food piled on his tray, she adds teasingly, "Now be a good boy and concentrate on cleaning your plate. You need to fill yourself out, Ensign. Why, you're nothing but skin and bones."

And here she uses the joke as an opportunity to gently pat that strong hand he'd clearly wanted to touch hers. After she does, she walks away and casually lets her fingertips glide lazily over his own fingers and knuckles, releasing contact only when she's brushed against his wrist and the hair on his arms visible beneath his uniform sleeve.

She leaves and disposes of her breakfast things, a pleasant tune singing in her head when she departs the Mess to begin her working day.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 28 Jul 2015 at 10:34 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Relief washes over Kylah. "Yes, Lt. Thalen, I will. Thank you," she says, yet again struck by his generosity. She backs away and starts down the corridor, trying to hold on to her emotions. Thalen's gentle concern is all the more touching when contrasted with that confrontation in Sickbay--with a man from whom she would have expected such compassion.

Biting her lip to keep the tears at bay, somehow Kylah manages to reach her quarters without breaking down completely or running into anyone else whose sympathy--or morbid curiosity--might make her feel even more raw and vulnerable.

Alone in the cabin--Collins must already be on duty--Kylah stands near the doorway, only far enough inside to allow the door to close behind her. She aims her gaze at nothing in particular.

It is hard to comprehend that when she was here last, she was hurriedly packing the bag she holds now, tossing in the smallest feasible number of belongings, with every intention of never seeing these surroundings again.

Everything seems blurry through her tear-glazed eyes as she slowly drags herself to her side of the room, placing the Bellaque on the nightstand--which will probably be her breakfast, because she has neither the time nor will to face the Mess Hall crowd. Releasing the bag's sole working handle so it falls to the floor, Kylah starts to sink onto the bunk. And then she turns as cold and rigid as ice.

A gift bag sits near her pillow.

She actually backs away, horrified. It is like some kind of nightmare, where one is haunted by an inescapable object that reappears no matter where one flees to. Kylah rubs her burning eyes, certain she is dreaming, but the bag is still there. It is impossible, how did he arrive here so quickly? How did he even get inside...?

Slowly logic returns to her, as does clearer vision. Of course this is not the same bag she gave to Velir--the one containing the gift he is probably throwing in the trash even now.

Confused, Kylah moves closer and sits on the bed. A moment of gathering her courage passes before her cold fingers reach for the pretty bag that would, in any other circumstance, be innocuous--more than that: delightful.

She swallows and pulls out a small box tied with a ribbon. An experimental, gentle shake reveals nothing except that the object is light but solid. She glances briefly inside the bag but sees only tissue paper in her cursory look.

Feeling foolish for being so skittish, Kylah unties the ribbon and opens the box. Whatever is inside is covered by a protective layer of cotton, which she lifts off. The sight of what is inside makes her forget how to breathe.

A harp. A tiny, wooden harp. Very reminiscent of...

Abject terror floods her. At once Kylah pushes the box off her lap and stands up from the bed, a gasp muffled beneath the now-cold hands crammed to her mouth. My zither, she thinks, shaking her head in silent disbelief. Why? Why?! What does it mean?

This must be a message. A... a warning? Or someone cruelly taunting her? Who would do such a thing? Who could have done it? It must be her attacker, or someone who knows her instrument was broken, someone sick, someone despicable, vindictive...

She flashes on Ferguson, but no, this feels far more personal than the spiteful accusation he made of her in that rec room. Then Kylah's treacherous thoughts turn to Velir.

No. No! She cannot believe this of him, not even after all he has called her, how he has treated her.

Thinking of him brings the righteous anger back to Kylah. Whoever did this should be caught and punished. What kind of sadistic, torturing maniac... Furious, she snatches the bag, trying to determine where it is from, and flips it upside down to empty it of the tissue paper. Perhaps there is some kind of receipt...

A small, white card flutters out. Easy to miss amid the frothy tissue and the light-colored bag itself. Kylah grabs it and, white-knuckled fist crumpling the bag, reads the brief inscription.

From Jeremi.

She is so clouded by paranoia that it takes her several achingly long seconds to recognize the name. Then the words shift and ripple as she stares, tears pooling in her eyes yet again. The fear, anger and paralysis seep out of her in a nauseating rush. Kylah's knees are suddenly so weak she has to reach for the bed so that she is safely sitting, rather than collapsing to the ground.

This is no threat, but a thoughtful gesture. Collins must have bought this when she was on leave, maybe hours before everything happened. Almost our first words were about music, Kylah remembers, looking at the miniature carved harp lying on the bed beside her. She bought this because she remembered how much music matters to me. How much my zither matters. Mattered.

Kylah sobs, looking from the harp to her canvas bag where the remains of the zither are hidden. Yes, the coincidence was cruel--but not the gift. She cannot be angry with Collins, this was just extraordinarily bad timing. Perhaps Collins might have realized how bittersweet this gift would seem now, with Kylah's own instrument destroyed, but... well, she is still Collins. Purchasing such a gift was extremely generous, already more thoughtful than the older woman has ever been. Kylah is touched to have received this much kindness.

Still, the unfairness of it all threatens to overwhelm her. She steels herself and turns back to the little harp, picking it up and cupping it in her hand like a baby bird.

It is very plainly carved--not quite naïve or primitive art, but certainly not ornate. Nonetheless, it is charming, and the attention to detail makes it clear that the carver was highly skilled; the thin wooden strings are no thicker than the edge of a toothpick, and they graduate in thinness the farther back they go, near where the knee-plate would be on a real harp. Kylah recognizes that the simplicity is an intentional artistic choice, not a necessary one due to lack of talent.

Unable to help herself, she runs one tentative finger along the strings as if playing a scale. Of course, the rigid object produces no music or sound--she was not expecting it to. The silence makes her weep more gently. Somehow, it feels... Kylah shakes her head and closes her eyes... it feels like a memorial to something that has died.

After some moments have passed, Kylah carefully places the pretty little thing on her night stand, and leans the small card against its side, so the From Jeremi faces her. She gazes at it for as long as she dares with a mixture of sorrow and gratitude. Then she takes the card back, tucking it in her duty belt.

At last she gets up, goes to the bathroom to wash her face with cold, cold water. Kylah does not dare look at her reflection for too long. She knows she looks raw, swollen and blotchy, and there is nothing she can do about that with so little time left. But when she does glance up, she notices there is one bruise on her temple--probably the one that left her unconscious--that has not fully healed. She fluffs her curls forward to hide it.

Finally she straightens and, wiping her hands, leaves her quarters as quickly as she can. Thalen is expecting her and she will not let him down--nor Singh either. And if Collins is there, Kylah knows what she must do.

When she arrives on the Bridge, her gaze immediately picks out the tall redhead at security. Of course she must greet her superiors and take her position to relieve her predecessor, but Kylah makes sure to catch Collins's eye.

Pulling the card from her duty belt in an inconspicuous manner, she reveals it only to her roommate. Then, with a grateful gaze, she whispers silently: Thank you, Jeremi.
    Last edited by choie; 29 Jul 2015 at 12:13 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin heads to the science lab, mainly to do a last check on the work, set up a couple of searches on Ens. Kylah and her background to retrieve the results later, make sure Ens. Chris Johnson got the details of the sensor, and then head for the Cargo Bay, full of trepidation of what he is about to work on.

And all the while, he is thinking of the statue now standing proud in his quarters.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

I'm the Cute one! =^.^= anyrose's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins is surprised to see Kylah back on duty so soon after what happened, but admires the girl's fortitude. She smiles when Kylah addresses her and whispers back "You're welcome, Kylah." She turns back to her station and watches the lights on her panel dance around as they relay and process security information.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"We should probably consult with Dr. Noel regarding the best way to handle Fujishiro's passing. However, I believe total honesty with the crew about her probable death will allow them time to digest such news. They may also want to visit with her while she is still with us -- whatever her condition is currently," T'Var replies.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Captain and Chief Engineer both smile and welcome Kylah to the Bridge. She takes her seat directly behind the Captain at the Communications console. There is the usual routine murmur of reports from belowdecks, and three recorded messages in the subspace comm queue.

Collins sees that all is still well on the Security front.

Dr. Villa says, "All right. Please have a word with Dr. Noel, and draft an appropriate message to the crew. Don't send it until I've seen it."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham watches Onn leave, and is still staring at the door for a few moments when he realizes he'd better finish his food and get his butt on station.

He eats quickly and reports for duty.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah returns everyone's greetings with a nod and somewhat tremulous attempt at a normal smile. She then gladly concentrates on the familiar panel in front of her, inhaling and exhaling in relief as expansively as her still slightly sore ribs will allow.

After seeing whether there are any urgent communications from within the ship, she checks the recorded subspace messages in the queue.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var will consult with Dr. Noel regarding Fujishiro's condition and how it may impact the crew. The doctor goes to Noel's office and stands in the doorway.

"May I speak with you a moment?" T'Var asks.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Cmdr. Vargas is in the Security Office when Graham reports. The duty roster shows that Graham is to patrol the forward primary hull this watch.

Kylah sees that there are no urgent shipboard messages, just routine stuff. The subspace messages in the queue include the daily Starfleet Intelligence classified situational report for the sector, greetings and a coded personal message for Capt. Singh from Capt. Hughes of the USS Kossuth, and a query from Starfleet Command as to when the Yorktown will be leaving Anubis.

Dr. Noel puts down a datapad, smiles and says to T'Var, "Of course. Please come in."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah stares at the console. The Intelligence report is precisely what her uncle would wish her to send to him...and thus, by proxy, the Klingons. Zither or not--and oh, how Kylah dreads revealing its loss to Aldaan--the information should be passed along to him; it is, as he has expressed in innumerable ways, her duty to both her family and her planet.

But her duty to Starfleet is just as clear, and she has never felt its weight as heavily as she does now. Her colleagues saved her life despite her attempt to abandon her position, the ship, and the crew itself. True, no one but Graham knows of her plan. But Kylah does, and she cannot imagine actively betraying them.

As if that were not enough, the request from Starfleet Command is also a shameful reminder that Kylah's actions have cost the Yorktown's time and effort, and might have even put her fellow officers in jeopardy if they were hurt while trying to capture the muggers.

She looks down at the blinking lights of her panel, seemingly waiting for her input. I cannot. I will have to bear whatever grief I earn from Aldaan.

Instead of surreptitiously making a backup copy of the sitrep, Kylah hurriedly taps her panel to send it and the personal message over to the Captain, her fingers moving in a blur as if the faster she sends them, the sooner she can forget that she is disobeying her Guardian. Only the last query from Starfleet is voiced aloud.

"I have forwarded some incoming messages to you, Captain," she says, and then continues more softly, embarrassed: "Also, Starfleet Command wishes to know when we will leaving orbit. Shall I relay your answer to them, or do you wish to respond personally?"
    Last edited by choie; 30 Jul 2015 at 12:17 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Singh turns and says pleasantly, "Thank you, Ensign, I'll handle it."

Registered
    May 2013

Given his morning so far, his assignment strikes Graham as sounding like some sort of euphemism: "Hey Nia, want to 'patrol the forward primary hull?'"

He decides to pass on any attempt at humor with Vargas however, and--if he can do so without interrupting the commander, offers a simple "good morning sir" before equipping himself and hitting his "beat."

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin heads to his Library Computer screen quickly and, while gathering the necessary data for the prototype sensor module, feeds in a few queries about Ens. Kylah. Feeling almost embarrassed about what he is doing, he sets the response to text-only. The last thing he wants is for everyone in the Science labs to know.

Ens. Kylah: personnel record: Date of Birth, place of birth, parents, relationship to current royalty of Elas.

Ens. Kylah: Starfleet record, date of entry, date of graduation, areas of expertise.

While he's waiting for the answers, he also looks to see if there are any images of Kylah from when she was younger. Soon he sees:

KYLAH, Ens. Asst. Communications Officer, Communications Department, USS Yorktown, NCC-1717. Born 37 Ernai 4177 (July 30, 2246), in Oliyel City, Elas. Adoptive parents: Sulaar and Ranni, members of the Elasian Royal Family. Biological parents unknown; according to records, father was human, mother Elasian. NOTE: Maternal uncle Aldaan, Regent and Prime Council Member, has been Guardian to her and her siblings since their parents' deaths in 2258.

Cousin to former Dohlman Elaan; older sister to the current Dohlman Ascendant Tellun, and upon his election granted the courtesy title of Larileen (Attendant to the Dohlman).

Sworn in as a Starfleet Academy cadet August 23, 2266. (Despite Elas's non-Federation member status at time, deemed eligible due to Terran birth father.) High marks in linguistics, communications, philology and astronomy. Graduated with distinction, fourth place, Starfleet Academy Class of 2269. (Note: three-year accelerated program arranged and approved by Starfleet Academy Superintendent and Elasian Council.) Requested and duly assigned to Communications.

There are more than a few images of her in Federation records: as an infant in her adoptive parents' arms; as a child in elaborate court attire, standing before what appears to be a temple or palace of some kind; several as a teenager taking part in various court functions; and dozens from her time at Starfleet Academy, almost always looking serious. Rangin shakes his head, it seems that some things never change. He's seen her smile only a few times and when he did he'd wished she would do it more often. He wonders if he will ever see her smile at him again.

One of the most recent shows her at what is labeled as the wedding of her cousin Elaan a little over a year ago on the planet Troyius. Apparently a member of the wedding party--although her placement in the line makes her the farthest away from the bride--she is dressed in a filmy white gown that to many other cultures would be more appropriate as a negligee. Again her expression is serious.

Rangin finds a very brief newsnet archive vid from the wedding. She is dancing with an older man, one hand on his shoulder, the other lightly resting on his left arm, which is curled around her waist either protectively or possessively. Rangin's eyes widen slightly at the sight of the older man holding a young woman in a negligee close at a wedding. He shakes his head slightly, and reminds himself its a different culture. Even so, he can't help but feel a little but jealous before sadly remembering that he only has himself to blame.

The man is described in a caption as Aldaan, her Guardian. Rangin sees him bend slightly and lean forward, his cheek against her ear, as he says something to her. For the first time in any of the images, she smiles, albeit briefly. Her expression is softer and seems almost admiring. Rangin relaxes slightly when he realises who he is. Of course, Kylah is going to feel more secure near this Aldaan, if he is the one who had taken care of her since her parents died. He also wonders if the Guardian was also responsible for Kylah getting fast-tracked through the Academy, after all, got to make your royalty look good for everyone.

The last archived object he finds is brief vid of Kylah at what Rangin recognizes as the Trenka Bron-Ken Concert Hall at the Academy. The recording is labeled "Student Recital, April 2269." Wearing a formal and relatively modest (for her) strapless red gown, she holds a beautiful instrument against her chest and supported by her bare left arm. from looking at it, Rangin realises it must be the her zither, the one now shattered in tiny pieces. Her right hand is moving against the strings, not plucking them but lightly stroking them. Now and then she reaches with this hand into a clear bowl of what appears to be water strategically placed on a black stool by her side. Throughout, her eyes are closed and her expression is possibly as beautifully serene as he has ever seen her. Rangin looks around carefully, to see if anyone is around, and when the coast is clear he turns on the volume to hear a few notes of the performance. The sound is sweet and bell-like, something between a stringed instrument and a flute.

Rangin frowns slightly, although quite beautiful and matching the player, it's not something that really grabs at him, though he could still appreciate well-played music.

Looking back over the results, he double takes when he sees the details of Kylah's natural parents. He had generally assumed she was just an Elasian, but given the record? Of course, that would account for the sensor reading and what she had thrown at him this morning. I am an Elasian woman--or half, anyway. He shudders at the thoughts that not only is she royally adopted, the fact is that her younger brother runs the entire planet. Oh grief, they really do have a lot to talk about. A scientific part of him also cannot help but wonder if her tears are still as potent, but he decides against trying to follow that train of thought. Now, is not the time.

Then, given the Federation's penchant for documenting virtually everything, Rangin searches for:

Ens. Kylah: Starfleet record, cadet hobby and social groups joined. It seems unlikely she had joined any, given her prickly nature, but he's curious to see who she interacted with.

Ens. Kylah: Starfleet record, worlds visited. Rangin had visited far too many on every field trip he could find just for the experiences, and other reasons, but wonders if Kylah is the same or if she was too sheltered, or too precious, to have been afforded the same possibility.

The Library Computer takes some more time before it responds with:

Cadet hobbies unknown. Social groups: Member, Academy Music Society.

Upon graduation, assigned to USS Yorktown as Assistant Communications Officer. Worlds visited: Academy - Earth, Mars, Io, Vulcan. Post-Academy - Sakath system; Omicron Ceti III.

Naturally, the records have not yet been updated to include Anubis.

Rangin looks at the records. So maybe, she really was that sheltered and naive when she graduated from the Academy. Most of the cadets he knew had been in multiple groups and been to a couple more worlds. Maybe it was because she was fast tracked and didn't have time or maybe because she kept herself to herself, but could she really have been prepared for life on a Starship. On occasions, royalty could be dumb and Kylah was paying the price for it. Rangin sits and feels slightly peturbed. She seems to be a young, naive cadet who had got into a whole lot of trouble and he's treated her, well badly, over the last few days. She may not be totally innocent, in fact she had a lot to answer for, with the lying and obfuscation which he is still waiting to find out about, but he, himself, really should also have acted better. Just because she's being deceptive, it didn't mean he should act in a manner unbecoming.

And then he thinks back over the gift and wonders just what kind of person she is? Looking up a few details may give some clues, but they still needed to talk.

He holds up the communicator wondering just what message she left for him when Rangin notices that the sensor data he is waiting for has completed. Putting the communicator away, he turns off the search and ponders what to do next. Not dealing with the sensor, that's obvious, but what to do about Kylah. Picking up the datapad, he leaves the Science Lab for the Cargo Bay where the prototype is waiting. As he leaves, he wonders what would be the best way to talk to Kylah and who else, if anyone, he could talk to about this.

Background by choie and EH
    Last edited by CatInASuit; 31 Jul 2015 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Minor edits for tense.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Graham sets out with a phaser-2 and communicator. The corridors are crowded as two-thirds of the Yorktown's crew is either reporting for a watch or going off-duty. He sees nothing amiss.

In Cargo Bay 4, Rangin finds Dr. Brold talking to Lt. Patel and Ens. Zweller; each is holding a datapad. The bulky prototype starship primary sensor module, steel-gray, roughly cubical and three meters on a side, looks unchanged from the day before. Brold's two assistants are not there.

The greenish-gray reptilian does not seem happy, and his tail twitches agitatedly. "Where have you been?" he asks. "We've been waiting for you for hours." Over his scaly shoulder Rangin sees Patel roll her eyes a little and shake her head. Zweller is fighting a grin.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 31 Jul 2015 at 03:05 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham makes it a point to do two things: every third or fourth person he passes he offers a nor or a "good morning." Be good to have folks see a Security officer as a helpful or at least pleasant part of their daily routine, he thinks, especially if this will be a frequent assignment.

He picks an area and spends a little extra time checking emergency access panels and hatches for both their security and content or where they lead. And to get to know the ship.

In both cases he concedes that he's trying to avoid perseverating about his upcoming dinner...date...with Nia. Is, ah, just friendly...or, really 'friendly'...or like, uh, breeding prerogative friendly? And what do I wear? He reminds himself not to ask Mahmoud for advice on what he should wear. Would never hear the end of that...

Registered
    Feb 2009

Lulled by the routine flashing of lights and quiet beeping and whirring of the computer, Collins' mind drifts a bit. I'm glad she liked it she thinks about Kylah and the harp. I have to check on if Lunnd's guys sent up the pieces of her zither. What a shame it was destroyed. I can't imagine the loss she must feel. It has to be like losing a child. Collins' mood descends into sadness as she dwells on these thoughts and soon she feels her eyes welling up with tears. She fights them back and takes a deep breath and tries to recall how good she felt first thing this morning. Slowly she comes back to neutral, but she is definitely in a darker place than she was before breakfast.
    Last edited by anyrose; 31 Jul 2015 at 04:01 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Graham gets friendly or neutral greetings from everyone to whom he speaks. He is coming to recognize more and more faces, even if he still doesn't know everyone's name. The panels and hatches he checks are locked when they should be.

Things are relatively quiet on the Bridge. A yeoman brings a tray of coffee around for anyone who'd like some. The Captain does not; the Chief Engineer does.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins is so lost in thought that she almost misses the yeoman with the coffee. She accepts a cuppa with thanks.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangin puts on his most earnest student type smile and fills his face with regret. "I do apologise, Dr Brold, I will not be so tardy next time." Rangin holds up the datapad with all his questions and comments on. "If I had known of the early start I would have been sure to have forwarded all the questions I had to you from my initial pass of all the documents you were kind of enough to provide to me last night."

Rangin looks at the two Starfleet officers alongside and greets them. "Good Morning ma'am, Mr Zweller." before returning his gaze back to Dr Brold.

"Dr Brold. Where would you like to begin? I'd be most interested if you could show me how it works up close. Notes are one thing, bit never compare to seeing it for real." Rangin hopes the nudge for Dr Brold to show off his knowledge and expertise help to mollify him slightly.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var takes a seat. "I would like to discuss Mr. Fujishiro's condition and how we can best prepare the crew for her eventual passing."

Registered
    Sep 2009

The coffee is hot and rich; better than some other Starfleet coffee Collins has had.

Dr. Brold does seem a little mollified. He begins describing the prototype's design, and it is not long before he veers into very technical language: "Consistent with Starfleet Science Directive 54-7423E, the differentiation matrix uses an R4-derived algorithm. This breaks incoming signals into 14 primary and 37 secondary datastreams, an improvement over the current...." With an effort, Rangin is just able to keep up.

The psychiatrist leans back in her chair and nods. "I've been thinking about that myself. Dr. Villa told me her condition has deteriorated. A loss among a starship crew tends to be surprising or unexpected, so this is a different kind of situation for us. Do you have any particular suggestions?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

The coffee brings Collins back into focusing on her panel.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham decides he ought to get more familiar with some of the critical areas of the ship and adjusts his patrol route to spend some time around the auxiliary bridge.

Should I bring flowers or something? he wonders. I really can't top the snow globe... Or is that being too serious and formal...

Hmm, although I do have one idea...

Registered
    Sep 2009

All seems well aboard the Yorktown, according to the Security console and its frequent updates, Collins sees.

The Auxiliary Bridge is locked, as is SOP, but Graham can enter with his patrol code, if he wishes.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Once Dr Brold finishes, which probably takes a while, Rangin suggests taking a brief break while he runs through all the data he is looking at to make sure he understands it.

While he is doing that, would someone be able to run through all the biosensor testing they have done, so he can start to rule out all the usual things he would look at, if they have already done so.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

T'Var ponders Dr. Noel's question for a moment before answering.

"Obviously, I am not an expert when it comes to the emotional impact of a situation like this. For me -- as a Vulcan and as a physician -- death is merely a natural part of the life process. I am certainly aware of how upsetting Fujishiro's passing will be to our crew. To be honest, I am unsure as to what we should do. Your counsel in this matter would be most appreciated."

Registered
    Feb 2009

A thought suddenly strikes Collins. She turns to see if Singh is talking to someone before speaking up. "Excuse me, Captain?" Jeremi will wait until Singh acknowledges her, then she'll continue. "Has there been any word from Detective Lunnd about the third mugger?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah has been sensing some distressing emotions from somewhere to her left, distracting her somewhat from paying attention to the admittedly uneventful communications console reports. She frowns and is about to try to locate the waves of sadness that have been ebbing and radiating for some time when Collins speaks up. Immediately Kylah focuses on her cabinmate--and even before the older woman continues speaking, Kylah recognizes that she is the source of the weighty emotions. Surprise, then understanding and sympathy rise in Kylah, as well as a flash of concern.

But both reactions are cut off abruptly when Collins asks about Lunnd.

Face burning, Kylah abruptly swivels back to stare at her console, privately aghast. Collins's question puts Kylah sharply back into the spotlight, precisely where she does not wish to be.

In truth, she has desperately tried to think of a way to speak privately to Captain Singh, ever since the captain chose not to respond to Starfleet Command--at least, there has been no response to their query as far as Kylah can tell. So why are they still in orbit around Anubis? The ship's Security personnel no longer seem involved in the investigation into Kylah's attack--something for which Kylah is extremely grateful. She has heard nothing about the status of the case at all, not even a request for her input regarding identification. Kylah has therefore assumed nothing new has occurred, and possibly the trail has reached a dead end.

So... if all this is true, why is the Yorktown still here?

Perhaps the two criminals are all the police intend to pursue. Or it may take some time for that detective to interview and get anything useful from the captured suspects. Frankly any number of things could extend the investigation, and Kylah cannot imagine that Singh plans to stay indefinitely, not when there are so many other matters for the ship to deal with--and clearly Starfleet Command agrees.

Still Singh did not answer, and Kylah's curiosity continues to nag at her: Why can we not leave this wretched place?

But she has kept silent, because tactful wording of such a question eludes her. Now Collins has broached the subject. No, not broached: blurted. In front of everyone. Out of nowhere. Perhaps it was her strange mood that pushed Collins into action; Kylah will have to ask if something is amiss with the security officer, something must be bothering her. Why else would Collins ask such a question if not to distract herself from her own feelings? At least that would be understandable, if somewhat unthinking. Collins must remember what it was like to return to duty after her... illness. She wanted things to go back to normal as soon as possible--too soon, perhaps, if those brittle emotions Kylah sensed earlier were related to Collins's tragedy.

Given all this, why would Collins not realize that Kylah feels the same way? That she does not wish to have her disgraceful situation, her victimhood, her recklessness shoved in her face like this? She is obviously concerned, she wants to help catch those who hurt me, Kylah tells herself, closing her eyes. I understand that, I do. But why bring it up this way?

Miserable, she swallows, waiting for Singh's reply. Otherwise Kylah remains motionless and silent, pretending she is an invisible speck of dust on an otherwise empty chair.
    Last edited by choie; 02 Aug 2015 at 10:10 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Brold takes about 20 minutes to explain everything, but Rangin has the sense that he could go much longer if necessary. Who does Rangin wish to run through all the biosensor testing they have done?

Dr. Noel says, "We could certainly pass the word among Mr. Fujishiro's known friends and associates, including her Science colleagues, that her time may be... limited. I'm not sure we need to make a shipwide announcement, as such, though."

Capt. Singh says, "No, not yet. Hopefully it won't be too much longer. I want to be sure we're fully cooperative with local law enforcement in their investigation, and they haven't told us yet that it's complete."

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Thank you, Captain." Collins smiles and looks to Kylah who seems to have made herself smaller somehow. The young ensign doesn't look up but stays focused on her station. It's going to be alright, Kylah Collins thinks at her roommate We won't let anyone hurt you again. She then turns back to her own station and sighs inwardly.

Registered
    May 2013

Whistling softly, Graham uses his patrol code to enter the auxiliary bridge, taking mental note of the nearest intersections and access hatches as he does so. Never know when you'll need to get here in a hurry. Or blast some assholes out of here, too, he thinks.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Singh's words make Kylah sigh quietly, defeated. She takes several deep breaths before finally turning her chair around.

"Captain," she says quietly, wishing in vain that her voice were audible only to Singh. "Permission to speak with you privately, when you have a moment? Please?"
    Last edited by choie; 02 Aug 2015 at 10:45 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The door whooshes open and Graham enters the Auxiliary Bridge, a scaled-down version of the main Bridge. Lt. Guillaume Vaudreuil, the Command Subsystems Officer, is the duty officer; Lt. JG Faraz Pourtash is at the Helm and Ens. Horst Leventhal is at Navigation. They are running a tactical simulation of a battle with a Gorn cruiser. Vaudreuil pauses it. "Ens. Graham," he says, "what brings you here?"

Singh says, "Of course. You have the Conn, Mr. Collins." She and Kylah take the turbolift to the Captain's office. She says, "Please take a seat. Coffee? Tea? Something else?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 03 Aug 2015 at 11:12 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Yes, ma'am!" Collins practically leaps from her station to the big chair. She settles in, hands on the armrest panels ready to spring into action should the need arise. Her smile takes up half her face.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"Dr Brold, thank you for the explanation. That was more than detailed enough for me to start working with." Rangin acknowledges the Doctor's genius, as it's a great way to make him feel important.

"I'm happy to work with anyone to run through the bio sensor testing you have done." Rangin nods to all three of them. "It will be fairly tedious I'm sure, just cross-checking all the usual things."

"Mr Zweller? Interested in running through the detail?" Rangin asks politely. As the junior person there he is likely to get the job anyway, and Rangin wanted to check if this was the same guy he knew from years ago.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"A most logical way of handling this situation," T'Var replies. "Of course, those who do know of Fujishiro's condition will pass this along to other members of the crew. I am certain it will not take long before everyone is aware of what is happening."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Collins feels right at home in the big chair - she could definitely get used to this. Lt. Kendin, an Algolian, is at the Helm, and Lt. JG Melissa Tsu is at Navigation, just in front of her. Ens. Kylah has been replaced at Communications by Lt. JG Ernesto Garcia. The Yorktown's Bridge hums with quiet efficiency, as usual.

Zweller grins and says, "Sure. Let me have a look at it." He comes over to Rangin, who thinks he may be the same young man he remembered. Lt. Patel and Dr. Brold begin talking about the prototype's power requirements, as Zweller inputs commands on his data pad. He leans closer to Rangin and says, "You seem to have a knack with 'Scold Brold,' I gotta say. Ol' Patel and I have had the pleasure of his company for 'way too long already."

Dr. Noel smiles a little wryly. "Shipboard scuttlebutt and warp drive: the two fastest things in the galaxy. How should we tell those who know her best? Do you have particular wording in mind?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 03 Aug 2015 at 03:19 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

"Sorry to interrupt, sir," Graham replies. "This is one of the critical areas of the ship on my assigned patrol route today." He gestures toward the screen. "In the event an encounter like this one goes bad, I've found you're better prepared for tactical action when you've gotten the feel of a place first hand, above and beyond just studying the specs." He pauses and glances around the room and then back to the screen. "Although--however well-prepared--I'd call any day involving the might involve Gorn boarding party a really bad day."

"I'll leave you to it, sirs--unless, well, sometimes ships have quirks or engineers make modifications not reflected in the blueprints. You all know Yorktown much better than I do, if you have any insights those are always welcome. I'll take any edge in the event Security needs to protect or take back mission-critical areas from a bunch of angry Gorn."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Vaudreuil smiles. "No apology necessary, Mr. Graham. And if this simulation goes as I hope it will, the Gorn will never even have the chance to send over a boarding party." He thinks a moment. "I don't know of any quirks or modifications like that - the Yorktown is much like her sister ships, in that respect - but I'll let you know if any occur to me."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 03 Aug 2015 at 02:52 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

"I'll keep my fingers crossed for the simulation team here, then, sir," Graham says appreciatively. Given this conversation, as he takes his leave he decides to check out the forward phaser control room next.

Registered
    Sep 2009

By now Kylah regrets not having had breakfast other than the hot cocoa--her plan to eat some of the Bellaque before heading to the Bridge was scuttled by the discovery of the little wooden harp. But she can hardly ask the Captain for an entire meal, so she just shakes her head with a quick "No, thank you, Captain," while taking a seat opposite Singh, who sits down behind her desk in her dark-wood-paneled office.

After looking at Singh for a few moments, Kylah, frightened despite herself, hurries through her next words. "I appreciate your allowing me to speak to you privately, Captain. Regarding your response to Lt. Collins... you said you wished to cooperate fully with the local authorities." Her hands are clasped so tightly her nails dig painfully into her palms. "But--but I was thinking, sir--I mean, ma'am. I am sorry, I still do not know which you prefer," she adds, flustered and embarrassed.

"'Captain' or 'ma'am' is fine, Ensign," Singh says, smiling encouragingly.

Kylah nods and presses on. "Detective Lunnd has apparently not requested any additional help from our Security officers, and he has not told me whether I will be needed on the planet. And the investigation could take days. Weeks. If not months. This third man may never be caught, and I know my cash will not be retrieved. I doubt anyone will find my knife and uniform, and as for the jewelry... that is probably all over the planet by now." She bends her head, only now realizing something distressing. "In fact, Detective Lunnd never even asked me to describe the jewelry box, or what pieces were missing. He must have no expectation of finding it. If he even believes it was missing at all."

"Hmm. We discussed the case briefly, but he hasn't told me his thinking on that point," Singh says.

Kylah nods and takes a deep breath. "Captain, I--I know I have no standing to make a request of you. But I wish--I do so wish--that we would leave here. It is bad enough that the ship has been delayed a full day, and even worse that so many officers were put in jeopardy tracking down those criminals, all because of me. And not just physical jeopardy. Det. Lunnd even thought one of my crewmates might be guilty. Ensign--this man was made to feel like a suspect, for no reason but my own carelessness. And to be frank, Det. Lunnd's ugly insinuations. My fellow officer did not deserve such treatment."

She shakes her head sadly, but keeps her voice as calm as possible. "If Det. Lunnd wishes me to stay for questioning or identification, I will. But please, Captain... even Starfleet Command seems to wish the ship to leave. I know you have done all you can, and that is all Lunnd really expects of the crew." Kylah finally looks down at her lap. "Certainly you have done far, far more than I ever expected, if that matters at all. I just wish to put it behind me. To forget it, and to have everyone else forget it as well."

Singh says, "The Chief Constable of Thoth has asked us to remain for now, Mr. Kylah, and expects a break in the case momentarily. I certainly don't intend to remain through any trials or appeals. Starfleet Command does wish us to be moving on, and I know Dr. Brold is very much of the same opinion." She pauses. "I can see how... distressing this has all been for you. You've been through a very difficult time. Have you spoken to Dr. Noel or any of the other Medical staff about what's troubling you? They're here to help."

A sense of futility descends on Kylah. She did not really expect the Captain to obey her wishes, of course, but she hoped to get more details about what the status of the investigation might be. Convincing Singh that the Yorktown's plans are more important than one minor crime, even if it did involve someone on the ship, would also have been ideal. But it did not work, and all she has done is put the focus on her personal welfare yet again. Kylah just nods and decides on a half-truth. "Yes, I have spoken with a few doctors--Bucci and T'Var have been extremely patient and helpful with me. I will be fine, Captain, I just... I just hope no one else will be put in danger again because of me, or even inconvenienced. Including this Dr. Brold, who I gather is part of the next mission? I am sorry, since everything that happened I do not know what the Yorktown's next destination is. I should have asked Lt. Thalen what I have missed. Then again, if Dr. Brold is involved in science or medicine, I doubt it will affect me."

The Captain says, "Dr. Brold has designed a sensor prototype which we are to test. He wants to leave right away. Between you and me, I don't share his sense of urgency, given the crimes that were committed against you. Your case is my priority right now. But we will leave in due time, and you may well play a role in our next mission."

Kylah smiles briefly in humility, understanding that her role in Communications--and her low status on the ship--means she will usually play a minor part in most missions. The last two have likely been flukes. "I am grateful for your time, Captain, as well as for your concern. I hope things will be resolved soon."

"As do I, Ensign."

Kylah's hands move to the arms of her chair, hoping she will be dismissed and forgotten. Belatedly she remembers a vital question. "Oh! Excuse me, ma'am, I meant to ask... I suppose they have not told you whether I will be needed to identify anyone? Either the suspects who have already been captured, or... perhaps the third person, who has not? I must admit I dread that, especially if it means going down to the planet and seeing them in person." She swallows and tries to seem brave. "But if it is my duty, I will of course do so."

Singh steeples her fingers. "My understanding is that two suspects have been captured and may indeed need to be identified. I don't know yet if you'll need to return to the surface; I'll speak to the Chief Constable about that. If we can spare you that trip and any needless stress, consistent with their investigative requirements, of course we will." She says, more gently, "But if there is a trial for any or all of those charged, you might have to return to testify. They have the right under the Federation Constitution, of course, to confr... to see any witnesses against them in open court."

Her throat suddenly dry, Kylah takes a few seconds to respond. "Yes. Of course. I had not thought of that, but that is the law." Inwardly she is cringing. A trial. Uncle will be furious. He would probably seek to have those men killed rather than allow me to be questioned in public like that. And what will he say to me... How can I tell him of all this?! She forces the thoughts away and keeps her inner turmoil hidden. She stands and says sincerely, "I thank you again, Captain. I am--I am so sorry to have caused all this bother, and I hope to redeem myself through my performance in my duties."

"You really have nothing to apologize for, Ensign. And it has been no bother at all - it's my duty to do my best to protect my crew, and to see that those who attack them are brought to justice. And there's certainly nothing for which you need to redeem yourself, as far as I'm concerned." Singh looks at Kylah a long moment. "Well, enough said. If you decide you need more time off-duty, please speak to Lt. Thalen, the First Officer or me at once. Otherwise, please return to your duties on the Bridge now, and tell Mr. Collins to continue at the Conn. Dismissed."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 04 Aug 2015 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Usual dialogue credits.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Thank you, Mr. Graham," Vaudreuil says with a wave. "Carry on, and good day."

On Deck 11, just above and forward of the sensor dome on the very bottom center of the primary hull, Graham finds the Forward Phaser Control Room. It is also locked but he easily gains entry. Two Command yellow-clad technicians, neither of whom he knows, are elbow-deep in a partly-disassembled control console. A toolkit is spread out on the deck beside them, and one of them is holding a tricorder. They clamber to their feet. "Yes, sir?" one of them asks, a little curtly.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 03 Aug 2015 at 10:11 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah gives a quick bob of her head, silently thanking the captain for her time, and moves quickly out the door to the turbolift, and back to the Bridge.

Seeing Collins in the Captain's chair is disconcerting, even though Kylah knew to expect it. "Lieutenant Collins," she says as she stands briefly at attention. "Captain Singh told me to let you know she wishes you to remain at the Conn. I am to return to duty as before."

That is when she glances at the Communications console and recognizes Garcia. She does a slight double-take, and then gives him a quick smile of acknowledgment--although the way they left things on OCIII was not particularly friendly. Nevertheless, she has never truly blamed him for the potentially fatal mess-up during the chase of Mrs. Hsu; as far as she is concerned, that was all on Kjaerstad.

She immediately shifts her attention back to Collins, and her expression changes to one of friendly concern. "I hope everything is all right," she says softly, adding: "Permission to return to my station, ma'am?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

"He's just like every other professor with a big discovery. He wants to feel acknowledgement for his intelligence and isn't afraid to let everyone know it. A little bit of flattery costs nothing and makes me life easier." comments Rangin while waiting for Zweller to produce the details.

As they start coming through, Rangin starts cross comparing to his won datapad, while chatting to Zweller and asking some questions at the same time

"Ok, Signal overload...that's most of the usual frequencies covered off...So how long have you been working from Dr Brold?"

"Harmonic Resonance...nope, that's a fair few covered there...where are his other assistants or are they getting another chance to look round?"

"Signal Dampening...hmm, might want to look at that further...So how come you wound up working for Dr Brold then?"

"Direct Interaction...I wonder. I can see from the tests that the sensor is just not picking anything up, but I guess the assumption is that the sensor is still working. Could it actually be directly affecting the sensor itself and not just the signal? ... You know, you remind me of someone. Your first name is not Darren is it?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Collins swivels to face Kylah, and holds out her hands "Kylah," she says quietly for only her roommate to hear "If you want to talk, to vent or whatever, I think I can relate to your loss," she says sincerely, "or maybe not, but I'd like to help you get back to normal." Then in a normal voice, "Yes, Ensign. Take your station." Collins then swivels back to face the big screen to watch Anubis below them.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Jul 2010

"I would assume that most of her friends and colleagues are aware of the dire nature of Fujishiro's condition. Speaking with each one individually and allowing them to share their feelings is probably a good beginning. If they are in need of further counseling, I am certain you can assist them," T'Var says.

Closed thread